mega.nz/#!l5pRmBjY!X7hgIv2Wivl59OLZ6Zw2nIWf0xxtyjVR1EiLf-Rl_3g
sendspace.com/file/zhywft
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

plz no

SERVER INFO

Mods:
mega.nz/#!MkQxUDoR!O4aTCO1SPYmoFnNINtpAmI9XVoii3aLx92l9TfgAliU

>FARL - see mods.factorio.com/mods/Choumiko/FARL
>Picker Extended - see mods.factorio.com/mods/Nexela/PickerExtended, includes signs/notes

Consider the following mods:

You can do this with the tank's flamethrower
It's on the server
This looks interesting, might add it
This looks like it might burn my eyes out so I'd rather not
I could add this, but how is it better than regular turrets?
Just Like Use Inserters
This is included in Picker Extended
I don't want to add packs that increase memory usage just for visuals because the server is potato

It's a different kind of burning, but whatever
It's a purely visual mod (and as far as I can tell, doesn't affect the performance)
I guess I just like being able to fill a belt without using up a huge area to do so.
Well shit, checking out the mod, that's a lot of useful stuff.

That's not the latest and you god damn know it.

I actually don't, I just have steam set to stay on the version. Either way it's worse for piratefags to keep updating, not that they even have 16.16

exactly
You niggers who bought the game need to upload the version the server is running or everyone else can't play.

I do have to say, filter splitters are a godsend. Sure, they are really powerful and easy to obtain compared to filter inserters, but on the other side, belts needed this kinda help for a good while now. I generally don't like to depend on bots to run my factory, especially since I tend to play with a shitload of mods, and like trying to organize my belt spaghetti. I suspect they will eventually lock filter functionality behind a separate research, to make the filtering at least a bit harder to get than researching logistics 1.

Where would you get a download link for .16.16 if you've already updated?

It's handy but is causes lots of lag when it calculates stuff

Just a visual change AFAIK. Because shooting spurts of light doesn't make sense.

Does the server even load the graphics?

So far 5dims was the most easy but also kind of the most fun.
I enjoyed bobangel, but at the same time I kind of felt like I was just sitting and planning schematics most of the time. Getting shit done feels more rewarding, but every time I get to yellow science and peek at that list of buildits, my stomach falls to the center of the planet.

So I'm trying AAI now. It sounds like a neat idea, and I'm totally on board with this, but what the FUCK do I do here? I've spawned in with one of those german planet-eater excavators the size of a small town in my hotbar, and when I plopped it on some coal it mined up 600 coal in about 2 seconds. Ignoring how fucking OP and absurd that is, how the hell do I actually program this thing? The description box says it's supposed to drive around and murder trees for me and shit. I want to murder all of the trees.

If you go to their website, you can just download every single version there. Alternatively, in Steam beta you can select which version you want too.

I'll update the server to latest and I'll upload that version somewhere. My local upload speed's terrible but I'll see if I can do it through the server.

It shouldn't, but it does load mods.

nvm fixed it :^)
I hadn't realized that Programmable Structures and Programmable Vehicles weren't released yet and had to be manually downloaded from the forums. I thought the programming stuff was just packed into the AAI Industry mod. Whoops.

New interesting mod.
mods.factorio.com/mod/DeadlockStacking
Not sure how well this works, and whether it works with mods (the most important part).

SERVER UPDATE

Version: 0.16.20

Additional required mods:
a.uguu.se/dOWqJgSZpVpi_mods2.rar

Factorio 0.16.20 off the website
mega.nz#!MtxyXKLA!407x7yz4VWDOzSGvChOHv4CbLrzDZt08pwFISS3NVws

How's the linux version of this work?

perfectly, it has a linux native client.
graphics performance takes a slight hit if your on a toaster.

Okay, so I'm kinda new at this game. How the fuck do you stop creepers from raping your ass so damn fast?

AP ammo and turret clusters.

turn on peaceful mode

Gotcha. Does the mega pack contain a linux client? I dont see one.

Im a df fan so no. Loosing is fun

Build a defensive perimeter of turrets belt fed with ammo
Make sure the area is huge enough so that you won't need to turn your factory into spaghetti for it to work
Expand perimeter when needed

Is it out of early access

factorio/mods/

Somewhere in your appdata folder, just search for factorio.

No, but it's mostly feature complete

bobs & vegana would make more sense. this game looks like poo too.

we wuz plastics n shit

Have the train-cannon and train-turret mods or the robot army mod changed the game in terms of base defense options at all?
Over the past few months I've done a few dozen playthroughs, and I'm getting a little bit bored of the typical loop of building 1.5k belt-fed turrets and then upgrading them with 1.5k laser turrets.
It's effective, and you can automate the construction so the only part that's a pain is actually running around the perimeter either ghosting or laying the turrets down, but it's just so fucking basic.

I want motion sensors that act as predictive early-warning sensors that route mobile defensive forces to areas under attack. Alternatively, area denial artillery cannons that can't fire at spawners but instead automatically fire incendiary or nuclear shells ahead of incoming biter waves.
Hell, I'd even settle for roboport-based rechargeable flying gun drones that swarm out like those little planes in protoss carriers. Just different options.

Biters are supposed to attack whatever artillery turret that kills their hive, so in theory you could have a smaller number of fortified artillery batteries that take out the biters before they can expand in under your pollution could and deal with the resulting attacks, instead of huge walls. I haven't tried it though.

I'm making a mod along those lines, where you select an area and they just keep shooting in there at random until you deselect it.
Artillery is kind of late game though, since it takes 2000 yellow science packs.

mind if people join just to burn out bitter nests and shitpost?

I've been wondering about the possibility of an artillery progression from early through mid game. Basically mortars and howitzers, much smaller scale, that would fire poison-filled flechettes or fragmentation rounds (basically radial shotgun blasts). Low damage and small radius and with poor accuracy, so you'd need a full battery of them targeting a single area to guarantee area denial.
It'd probably still be too OP for early game, though, or the ammo would be so expensive that it wouldn't be practical anyway.

Your mod sounds like a great late-game addition, though. I'll be using the shit out of that when you finish it.

It's fine, but you gotta do it during euro hours, now I'm busy getting my fix of chinese cartoons

We Tiberium Sun Firestorm now.

Fug.

that would be comfy as fuck as a mod for factorio

As much as I love TS, it looks out of place in Factorio.

It's sad to think that Factorio probably would have had elevation and deformable terrain had the devs been a bit more experienced/had more startup money. Games like TS and Alpha Centauri show how its done.

so you're saying more of a dawn eh? kinda comfy

Forgive me for being retarded but I thought that Angels wasn't yet updated for .16, am I wrong?

You would be wrong. It's been updated to 0.16 for a while now.

I've been periodically checking the mod portal. Is the updated version not going to be on there?

They are updated to .16 on the mod portal too, aside from a few of the smaller submods. They're mostly marked as .14-.16

Yeah, some of the less useful angel mods aren't updated, like exploration and I think components.

?

That's not elevation, it's just a wall graphic that looks like elevation. Just like in oldschool command and conquer. The terrain is completely flat.

Holy shit I mustave been out a the loop for a long time. The last time I saw a pic from ts was when I was playing simcity2000 SE
Needless to say firestorm would be GDI against shiners or nod man fucking con yard base and enemy stealth tanks would be cool

The other game that does terrain well is Total Annihilation. It's not deformable but makes up for that by being really varied and factoring heavily into combat for weapon effectiveness and line-of-sight.

That's flat terrain with an impassable barrier made to look like a cliff wall. You can even see how the brown parts of the ground run from the "top" to the "bottom" like it isn't even there, because it isn't there, it's just a sprite overlay.

This is what 2D games that track height look like.

Whats that second image from? I can't find it Or im too sick to figure this out. Reminds me of a TW mod.

TS map I found off search. Might have been from one of the mods actually, I don't think those are all vanilla assets.

Oops, didn't mean to have a quote there.

Nigger this isn't 4chan, you can just delete the post and try again.

Nigger this isn't 4chan, we have auto-updates, and the people who are already in the thread will see the double-post. Also, halfchan has post deletion, or at least had back in 2014, in case you don't remember.

Yeah thats what i'm thinking, the town is defintely not originall assest with the red? area at the bottom.

Yeah but imagine building tunnels through hills. Having a train go through a tunnel would be comfy

Imagine if elevation affected fluid pressure. You could build storage tanks on hilltops and have them pipe downhill, and have to use pumps to actually get the fluid up hill. Turrets higher up could gain a small range or damage bonus too.

The devs pretty much implemented their hacky cliffs purely for adding frustration to the building experience. Proper Elevation would just make it better.

This run is going to be finished sometime around summer, if the server doesn't crap itself before that

I don't understand your response. Are you angry because you're imagining how cool it could have been, or are you angry because you're imagining how angry such a thing would have made you?

Pretty sure it's the second one.

Yes. It would have been kind of cool, but fluid handling is already a pain in the ass when you want a lot of fluid moving (e.g. reactors).

The idea behind it was more like creating more natural chokepoints, and impassable terrain that couldn't just be easily removed, like water now is.

Anons, I wanna play this, but I have no time to read everything about it. Just give me the quick rundown. Thanks!

You build stuff that builds stuff for you so you can build more.

Once you research automation you had better not craft one god damn thing yourself. Every single item in the game needs to have its creation automated. Your job is to lay down buildings only.

I kind of wish water could be placed down. I'd love to build a moat, maybe even bring in boats and use them to ship materials through canals.

What if you made a machine and then later made the machine again but better.

What if you were stranded on a planet and just wanted to escape, so you build the means to launch a rocket with which to propel yourself off of the planet, but during your peaceful stay there, bugs attacked you for no reason at all so you change your mind and instead of launching yourself home with a rocket you launched missiles to other parts of the planet, answering the bug menace.

i decided to give this modpack a try in singleplayer and jesus fucking christ i'm in hell right now

We have lived and still are living that on the server. Before starting a map, I always go through a bunch of randomly generated ones to get one with a decent spawn, so the map we started with was alright on most resources, but we only had about 500k saphirite, moved on to jivolite, which was quickly followed by a very long drought (no acid) that we only got through thanks to laser turrets and manually repairing the walls (plus low pollution since most machines were off). Then we finally got all the shit for robots and I could finally cover the northern walls that were getting frequent attacks. Now we're so-so okay on resources, but saphirite is running low and if you want to run infinite miners, you need at least 50% productivity bonus, else you run out of sulphuric acid required to mine it. Jivolite and striatite in advanced processing are good though. Also that white ore runs on an infinite supply acid I think, not entirely sure, and also produces iron in advanced processing. I just built the first airplane yesterday, which helps a whole fucking lot traversing the enormous spaghetti base.
Modules are hell, I'll probably fill the huge area in the middle just making shit for them. You need a million components, some fluids, gold, silver, fucking everything, and it's all a many-step process. I gave up before starting and went looking for BPs only to find pretty much nothing.

It's important to go to smelting ASAP, it gives up to 200% efficiency in ore->plate conversion. Starting furnaces are like 50%. It's also way less polluting which helps with biters.

Stiritite will still give half as much iron as Saphirite, which with 200% efficiency means you're effectively getting 100% of what Saphirite would without smelting. Just a shit ton more copper to store somewhere.

Get sniper turrets, they are OP. Laser also works eventually once you have a distant border with only sporadic attacks. If you're getting constant attacks you should disconnect stuff to lower pollution, then go kill biters till they are outside your previous pollution cloud.

There's lots of alternate recipes that usually let you get around needing the bulk of petrochem stuff. For example, blue science needs plastic but instead of getting it from oil and 50 processing steps you can get it pretty easily from crushed rock + water through biofuels.

Getting a desync trying to connect to the server. Was just in it an hour ago and logged off to have dinner. Dunno what's up, can anyone else connect?

do machines still produce pollution if they are connected but not doing anything? attacking biter bases isn't really an option right now since i'm stuck with my shitty car turret and destroying a base with just three spawners is fairly expensive
i'm not really struggling with getting enough gas/oil now. it just gets very complicated and i don't have enough brainpower/experience to envision the entire system so i end up making it one step at a time which quickly turns into a giant clusterfuck
i haven't really used them, i put down a few but they seemed to slow to be useful. do they still use the same amount of ammo per shot as the regular turrets? in that case i'll make lots of them

ignore my question about sniper turrets, i just checked and they do indeed only use one bullet per shot with a 1400% damage bonus. gonna make a million of them now

Twisted Insurrection. Excellent mod but suffers from overdesigned buildings/units similarly to mental omega (RA2 mod). The maps they've made are fucking gorgeous and easily on par with the quality of TS/Firestorm's maps. God damn it looks so pretty. Worth trying out if you like C&C

No, but their passive drain (along with inserters) still means you'll be drawing power, which may mean some (incredibly small) amount of pollution from coal.

Best is to just go into a separate sandbox game with cheats on to figure out what you need and get a workable layout.

Petrochem is really the worst because you have tons of ingredients with weird names and undistinguishable icons. As I said before, you can just get plastic from the biofuel/fungi processes, it really makes things simpler and cleaner than dealing with 10 different fluids you need to store and figure out what/when to flare.

Yeah, great for penetrating armor of some heavier biters and the colonies. Also the range makes it almost too easy, just carry a stack of 50 snipers and a stack of basic ammo and you can take out nests no problem.

The non-petrochem methods of making plastic require a shitton of facilities, whether you use algae or wood.

Well this is gay.

Pretty good 'review' of the game, tells you all you need to know really.

I was getting a desync too, I restarted and now it seems to be fine

I like cliffs so far, forces me to be a little less autistic about how I build.

The goal is to go from doing everything by hand, to automating as many things as possible, and then automating it better and faster so you can automate more things with less waiting and expand to new resources. Also try not to get raped by xeno invasions in the process.

Pick one.

Does the game not have forests anymore? Every single map I've generated since 0.16.x has been a desert.

I spawned on a forest map recently. Haven't seen much desert though, I guess they changed the map generator to make larger regions since they intended for resources to be more spread out too.

I've never gotten to a point where I have to expand that far yet anyways. Either I've got enough resources locally or there are just so many biters that any serious expansion pre-atomic bomb is prohibitively difficult.

a.uguu.se/A2MyAHSWxTy5_EasyCopy_0.1.8.zip
EasyCopy has been added, see mods.factorio.com/mod/EasyCopy

Expand through buildings laser turrets into enemy spawners. Normal turrets with piercing ammo will handle them alright, laser turrets will easily take out anything.

Why

Streamers are casuals.

I play on rail worlds, mainly because I do want to focus on the building, and with the myriads of mods I use, it takes forever to get anywhere. Still gotta clean out biter nests to expand, but nothing as infuriating as biters every 15 minutes on my ass.

Playing without biter attacks seems so boring. It's an entire mechanic removed from the game so you never have to deal with the consequences of your own pollution nor automate defense.

muh ups

TBH pollution and biters should just disappear after the first rocket launches. Make it carry an ion cannon or something. That way megabase poopsockers could be happy without losing the early game biter challenge.

I'm pretty sure you can disable biters through console mid-game.

MP base was having critical shortages of iron/steel. Jivolite had run out of hydrofluoric acid to mine with (and the circuits were setup to cut all saphirite processing if iron was low, intending to use pure jivolite+saphirite sorting). I set up the beginnings of our oil processing to get some hydrofluoric acid going. This also solved any sulfuric acid problem we might have had, tanks are storing 100k of the stuff.

Whomever set up our ore processing forgot to include crontinium, without that we have no silver which we need to get our hydrofluoric acid through catalysts. I did a bit by hand to get our mining started again but it obviously needs to be automated. Iron is kind of OK at the moment but steel production is dreadful. Setting up a leaching plant processing stage before sorting would also work in place of crontinium. We could also consider setting up a Nodule->Manganese farm, since Manganese doubles the efficiency of both Iron and Steel. Got a good location for it just west of of the furnaces beside the water.

Enemies are becoming a bitch, we need some higher turret densities. Mk2 Laser Turrets would also help. Alternatively, since we have logistics pretty much everywhere we could blueprint 2 to 3 flamethrower turrets with a barrelling pump and let the bots take care of supply. We have a fuck ton of byproducts usable for flamethrowers or fueling boilers, we'll need to flare it pretty quickly if we aren't using it.

On the bright side, the main base now supplies mk2 electric poles and assembly machine 4s. More efficient stuff should help keep pollution down. Next thing I'm going to do is upgrade us to mk3 mining drills which are around 10-20% more efficient.

Also, I un-spaghetti-fied our furnaces and casting setup. We should be able to handle all plate creation in these, and we'll be able to easily have circuits controlling which recipe we want to run based on resource amounts

Didn't forget it, just didn't get around to it, same for Bobmonium

I think Bobmonium is ignore-able, everything we get from it we can get elsewhere. Though I'm not sure if infinite mining of it is easier than the other sources.

that screenshot required adjustable inserters

For what?

Adjusting the inserters. For some reason they picked a setup that required near inserters.

Oh right, for the near plates. When I think adjustable inserters I think the ridiculous 3N3W to 1S2E stuff. you should see the max compressed bot-fed assembly line

Technically the layout would be doable just fine without them, it would look like the steel/brass line

I play with adjustable inserters, but limit my use of them as much as I can. Near inserters I use with no guilt or remorse, that feature should be in vanilla. 90 degree turns is less desirable, but I still use it sometimes. I just don't see how more flexible inserters are a bad thing, when bots and filter splitters exist.

90° turns are only really useful when doing miniature cells around a single silo or warehouse, but then theyre fucking great because youre always one or 2 fabricator spaces short of making it self-contained

What's your steam name so I can spectate this shit, due to circumstances my computer is in limbo and I'm delegated to shitstream watching

Sorry, don't use steam.

Can some one upload these mods
mods.factorio.com/mod/reverse-factory
mods.factorio.com/mod/ConfigUnderLengths

For personal use

This is fucked up. I've been exploring for like half an hour, and found ONE crotinnium patch, under 1 million. Mind you, this is a rail world with default RSO settings, at this distance from the base, it should be around 2 million. I haven't explored north and west, but even the fact that in all of the south and east, this is the only patch so far is really fucked up.

Well you don't really *need* crotinnium.

I'm guessing you used high water settings? Water gets generated after resources AFAIK, so it's highly likely your water spawned ontop of some other deposits and killed them.

I'm guessing that's what happened. Also, I kinda want crotinnium because default sorting a shit later on. I want to use direct ore sorting, at least for iron and copper, since I will need metric tons of them.

State of the MP base update:

All of the mining/crushing/sorting is proceeding at full speed. Hydrofluoric Acid is no longer bottlenecking us. We currently have a huge Tin deficiency due to the Stiratite process shutting off, turns out we now need multiple clarifiers to get rid of sulfuric waste water in order to not get backed up. We could get Bobmonium, but I think the Tin will sort itself out now that its fixed and we're doing Tin Pellets, so I'll let it sit. Saphirite is now at the purified stage (well 50% of it is) thanks to titanium.

Assembly/Casting is pretty much filled, turns out lots of the furnaces aren't needed but they'll be there in case we need more of anything. Everything is labeled and there's an Alert for low quantity of any resource. I've gone ahead and disconnected it from the main logistics grid in order to not confuse the bots (same for the sorting and for the west half of the defenses).

Our assemblers have mid/high tier stuff ready. We've got express inserters, we've got electric pole mk3s, we've got assembling machine 5s, we've got the final electronics assembling machine, which has a massive 4 crafting speed (also 6 module slots because bob says fuck balance). Modules are fairly ready to be researched but I'm waiting for them to be nerfed since if we put them in now we'll get ridiculous 200% production bonuses in everything. We've also got the grinding/polishing stuff for gemstones ready, just need to truck the geodes over and we can go straight from Laser Turret Mk1s to Laser Turret Mk4s.

Petrochem is expanded and now working both Multi Phase Oil and Natural Gas, getting more than enough of everything. I like the nice interlaced colors up top.

Trust me, you won't need direct sorting for copper. For most of the game you probably won't even want stiratite for copper, saphirite alone will produce enough as a byproduct.

a.uguu.se/0tVNUdVNl3mg_ConfigUnderLengths_0.1.1.zip
a.uguu.se/z05Y30Ujwihx_reverse-factory_5.0.1.zip

I know I will. When I last played in MP with some friends, we had to set up an area specifically to process copper, in addition to iron. Not as much, but still in significant amounts. Not to mention, saphirite won't produce enough of a byproduct because once I set up direct iron sorting, most of the saphirite will go towards that.

Thank god. Please ignore the spaghetti, I am still researching crucial tech for rebuilding my base from scratch.

wait why the fugg is the truck so hueg

It's a hauler, an AAI vehicle. They're huge, and have huge guts inventory.

nigga I know but when I was using AAI they were as large as a tank, not as large as 2 fucking fabricators

Mods file now returning a 404.

What were you making to use so much copper?

Purified Saphirite alone gives 2 Copper for every 3 Iron. Doing Stiratite still makes sense for some of the trace ores you get, but I've always treated Copper as basically a waste resource that will take up space. Usually I don't even do the ore processing steps.

I've changed my plans a bit. Going to use Ferrous sorting to get the iron I need. Yes, it's a bit more hassle to set up than the pre-catalyst direct iron sorting, but at the same time, I avoid having to use catalysts, while getting massive amounts of iron (and manganese, which can be converted into more iron or steel) at a 1:1 ratio.

Hmm, is Ferrous sorting a new thing? I seem to remember manganese being only obtainable through Nodules. Looks way better than "direct" sorting. Manganese is a great Ore to stockpile, and Rubyte you always have excess of.

this

you can control recepies with circuits?

less forget and more 'wtf am i doin' that mod set is pretty crazy. to do one thing you gotta do 10 other things. its annoying to figure out on the fly.

As far as I can tell, it's a very recent addition. There's also Cupric sorting, which is also pretty good, as it produces copper and tin in equal quantities - a perfect recipe for bronze or tinned copper wire. Or you can redirect part of tin to solder production.

Helmod's the only one active out of that lot, here:
a.uguu.se/Dr4TkXQjlEDx_helmod_0.7.5.zip

Not that I know of, but you can have separate machines doing different things and have the inserters only fuel them when you have the right material. Since they are all located in the same line it's very quick and painless to see what is running low/excess and alternate between what is used.

Previous setup had machines all over the place so if you wanted to switch a recipe you'd need to spaghetti belt the new resource through several screens of spaghetti.

What I am wondering about is whether it's possible to somehow detect how full a belt is. Not whether it's backed up, but how many resources are on it either during a set moment, or on average.

You can wire the whole length of the belt and add it together.

Otherwise you can set up a fairly complex counter that tracks inserters to count the number of items placed on a belt and the number picked up. Obviously fails if someone hoovers up stuff on their own though.

I was thinking of setting up a belt-length counter. It's very clunky, though, and requires a good length of belt that is not actively added to or removed from, for accuracy. I think I could set up a memory cell of sorts to calculate throughput for the past 5 seconds.

Got Gemstones set up. It's not perfect (gems are produced in uneven quantities so ruby backs up everything else), but it will work.

Also got Laser Turret mk4s (+3 range and almost +200% damage). Currently we only produce the Lithium Ion batteries necessary to make them in trace quantities, so they are coming out slow. Next up is to get the batteries them to the mass-production stage, at which point we'll also be able to finish up all of the remaining science.

You sho bout dat?

"Additional required mods"
as in, all that shit, plus Helmod. Plus EasyCopy
The main modpack is

Server's desyncing on connect again.

Restarted

MP base highlights today:

- Twh got modules online, we're at prod 2 (+10% each)
- Ore sorting has been streamlined and simplified. All you have to do is input at the top and it will go to the right warehouse.
- Bobmonium is being mined. We've stopped at basic processing since we mostly just need tin. Rubyte has run out, but we don't need more for a while
- Research is now production-module boosted and shifted to the bot assembly area. We have all but space science produced (in limited qualities for yellow) and lab 2s have 4 module slots.

Is Alpha Centauri still worth playing? I looked at it and it looked like shit, I'd rather play Civ:BE or something.

It looks like shit but it delivers on gameplay, story, and atmosphere in spades. After a while you don't even care about the graphics.

Still by far the best Civ gameplay. Get PRACX so you can play it in a better resolution. It's here>>14256851 on the left, still looks alright IMO.

Better off masturbating with sandpaper than that.

I get bored every time I try it. A mind worm kills my scout and it's just not fun.

Play Deirdre. Make the mind worms your pets.

As long as you are the attacker you'll almost always win.

Don't try to walk in fungus without backup early game. If you must because it blocks you, dedicate a unit to hold position on the fungus, it'll ensure other units can always walk through the square its on.

servers getting desynchs, btw.

I dunno, I've just kinda accepted that it's an old game, past its prime, and just not that good anymore. Kinda like the Beatles. Whatever made it good or unique in its heyday has since been copied and even improved upon by everyone since, so looking at it now it kinda sucks.

No other 4x game has terraforming. Social Engineering is still better than comparable systems in other games. The unit workshop is among the best. Other games have nowhere near the characterization.

It's still easily tied with Civ 4 for best in genre. Civ 5 and 6 are casualized to hell and back..

Server owner should try upgrading Factorio and all mods to the latest version and see if it fixes these problems.

If someone knows how to inspect the desync dump and figure out what the problem is that would help too. If updating doesn't fix it we can try looking for help in the mod forums.

is prolly one of those mods.

i think the planner thingy causes server lag too.

It just feels lifeless, old, and stale. It's no good, maybe never was.

This is how I feel playing nu-Civ games and their clones. Everything is dull and plastic and shallow.

To be fair, Fall from Heaven 2 also has terraforming. Magic-based, but still.

Server has been updated to 0.16.22
Helmod has been disabled since no one's using it as far as I know, so you don't need anymore.

If the desyncs continue, please post detailed info on when it occurred, if anything significant was happening, ie. placing some block, driving in a certain place, xenos attacking.

It's a thing of beauty when the setup you've been planning for ages works perfectly.

;_;

So far all desyncs I've had have never been when trying to do something in-game, it's when trying to enter the server.

It's like some mod isn't set up to properly send its state to the players in the first place.

MP base has entered the nuclear age! Still needs to scale up a bit to meet our full power needs but the circuitry all works fine.

Research is also now pretty well finished. I churned through a few dozen small techs very quickly on auto research.

Our current bottleneck is actually…. crushed stone! I'm thinking we'll just set up some washing plants for geodes. Copper is also backing up hard. I'm wondering whether we should redo everything to direct ore sort based on demand since Stiratite sorting is turned off when we have excess but we still need the byproducts.

Just be aware, the catalysts for direct sorting will also bottleneck on crushed stone. You need a whole lot more stone per catalyst than I expected, just what you get from crushing for it won't be enough. However, if you go ferrous ore sorting (stage 1), and use iron + manganese ore for iron production, you will have a bunch of leftover crushed stone, since that does not require catalysts.

I ended up just using Electrolysers to mine free slag and crush it into stone. It's nice, simple, easy to scale indefinitely. Expensive on power but the MP base is at the point where power is free.

On the direct sorting note, here's my proposed blueprint. Right side all uses the same liquids, so it's easy to smash them together. With speed module 2s most of this equipment is operating at around 4000% normal speed. Also direct sorting lets you get Fluorite Ore which means our Hydrofluoric Acid no longer bottlenecks us. In theory this all would require around 130 MW to run but there's no way we'll need 100% uptime before we're researching hyperspace.

Although now that I look at it, Ferrous ore sorting looks so incredibly simple and easy that I might as well modify my design to use it.

I remember jivolite/saphirite to iron used to not require catalysts. I assumed Angel wanted to nerf it, but replacing it with Ferrous which is basically the same (if not better, less hard to mine jivolite needed) kind of defeats the purpose of the nerf.

Trying to come up with a decent setup for ferrous to iron copypastable layout. This is what I have so far. I don't have robots yet (and won't have for a while), so no roboports. I also didn't include processing or pellet making, for two main reasons: I don't have the blue science to research all the relevant tech, and there's also the fact that manganese processing is a BITCH. You need chemical furnaces, sulfuric acid and all that other shit, while my idea is to set up a system that is self-contained and requires only the input of the bare minimum ores and coal.

The setup should output 80% of a blue belt of iron when all machines and belts are upgraded to the necessary levels. This is without modules.

There's no real reason you have to have all of this together. An Ore Bus is a good idea.

Iron processing and pellet making is dead simple, you should at least be doing that. 200% efficiency is no joke, it's like you don't even need the manganese half.

And yet there is no reason to separate it either. And what should I do with all the leftover manganese? Incinerate it? As it is, the current setup converts crushed stone into iron plates at a 1:1 ratio. If I eliminated manganese and went for pellets + processed, I'd still be getting a 1:1 ratio, except I'd quickly back up on manganese, since iron (and steel after advanced steel 2) are the only big consumers of manganese. If I set up direct sorting, I'd need mineral catalysts, and fuck that. If I used old fashioned sorting, I'd AT BEST be getting a 1:1 ratio, with a side dish of other ores and slag.

I might eventually redesign it to process and turn into pellets both iron and manganese, but until I have a stable running supply of sulfuric acid (I don't), I can't do that. Also, I don't have blue science, because for the last god knows how many hours I've been setting up ore processing.

Obviously manganese can always be useful for Steel. Other ores are eventually useful (copper from Saphirite alone is enough to not need to mine Stiritite for a long time). Slag is useful to crush into crushed stone.

Just buffer everything by throwing it into warehouses. You'll find a use for virtually everything eventually. Like in our silly spaghetti MP base .The only problem we have is an excess of Copper, but that's more because we've been doing too much Stiritite.

To be honest, I just want to get my shit up and running ASAP. This setup is going to give me 4 full belts of iron right off the bat, which I can do with what I please. Right now I am working on a waste processing station for the trains upon trains of crushed stone, slag, geodes and sulfuric/fluoric waste water in my near future.

We could dispose of copper in molten form, or just set up an additional striate line that produces less copper but still puts out the cobalt and whatever

Direct sorting setup is finished. The only issue currently is that we ran out of stiratite, which we need for about half the ores (and for fluoric acid that we use to mine jivolite). There's no infinite source of stiratite inside the base borders AFAIK, so we need to expand north a bit. I did get a rubyte mine set up, it's only mining non-infinite atm but we produce nitric acid at the direct sorter so it's just a matter of getting it over there once we run out of non-infinite ore.

Technically we don't need stiratite at all any more… except for the direct sorting. Ironic that as soon as we actually need it, we don't have it any more.

Shit's finally up and running. Feels good man.

So I want to eliminate at least 1 ore sorting, but not sure which. I get plenty of iron via ferrous sorting, which means I am not as dependent on jivolite and saphirite as usual. At the same time, I want to eliminate one of the ores that requires an exotic type of acid - jivolite being candidate #1 because fuck fluoric crystals. I obviously need at least 1 of each ore, so I can't eliminate, say, jivolite and crotinnium simultaneously (even though I want to get rid of both), because then I don't have silver.

Ideas?

Jivolite's mining fluid is produced for itself if you're on tier 2 processing, from waste water. Later when you deplete the infinite ore and get sub-100% yields you're gonna need productivity modules

I've done calculations (and experienced first-hand) that, at least if productivity modules are not involved, the fluoric waste water loop is not self-sustaining. You need approximately twice as much waste water as what's produced from the refining chain if you want it to be self-sustaining. Also, I don't use infinite ores.

Pic related, as you can see, for every 2 jivolite crystals produced, you need 1 extra fluorite crystal, for example, made from mineral sludge or elsewhere.

It's 1 HF/mining op, and you get 50 hydrofluoric acid per 5 fluorite, which is made from 500 waste water, which comes from refining 20 ore, it should be self-sustaining; at least that's how it is on the server. Probably.

MP Base is prepping the rocket.

Also I have an aircraft with 10 afterburners that goes uncontrollably fast.

I've read somewhere that the yield % matters, at over 100% you'll get more than 1 ore per acid and at under 100% you'll get less. Not sure if true.

In any case the MP base was kind of off and on on HF on its own, it needed an input from cracking acid gas. Now we're just direct sorting fluoric ore and using that as a backup.

factorio.com/blog/post/fff-228

Laser Turrets look great. All we need are laser walls to roleplay as NOD

MP Server is desyncing again.

Gonna redo the whole mess up above the sorting faciliies (It's belt spaghetti right now) when I get home. Gotta figure out a way to deal with warehouses maxing out on a resource, though, that can easily back up a belt. Maybe I'll just incinerate the less useful ores if I have more than ~3 warehouses of them.

Quickly, post how many trains you're using

About 10-12 right now. Will expand to 30ish once I set up a network for every kind of ingot. I mostly intend to transport ingots to destination, and make the relevant plates at destination.

I beat the game with two, only one of which was automatic.

I don't like this, one of the main advantages of gun turrets was that they didn't have bullet travel time.

you fix the warehouse issue by using more warehouses
use a warehouse per metal ore and then x4 as much for iron/coppa
this is the bit where you install loaders mod if you dont have them yet

I use miniloaders, and not for their small footprint. I use them mostly to load/unload trains and do some heavy duty loading/unloading, like pic related (the crushed stone warehouses on the right). Also, no matter how many warehouses you add, eventually you are going to run into a problem of overabundance. Do you really need 10 million cobalt ore? 20 million nickel? Most bob ores are actually used in rather trace amounts, namely tungsten, cobalt, nickel, aluminium, zinc. Yes, they are in high demand when you are building or upgrading, but they aren't used in continuous recipes like science production (I guess cobalt kinda classifies as that, for cobalt lithium oxide).

Yes great job developers, instead of bothering coming up with new design you just reuse a older model that you had which was visible in the technology tree.

high tech sorting should not be your primary source of ores, ore mixing recipies should
you got ferromix and cupric mix in the newer versions thar are a low tech source for iron and copper, and you got mid-tech catalyst mixes for individual metals
mainline refining should only be used to complement the mats you cant get through mixing

I will eventually set up ore mixing, but I just hate dealing with catalysts. This is the main reason I set up ferrous to iron mixing, I'd rather transport in rubyte than set up a mineral catalyst production chain. Also, mineral catalysts are surprisingly stone-demanding, by my calculations it's very easy to run out of crushed stone if using only direct sorting. You need to supplement it with either traditional sorting, or ferrous/cupric sorting, if you want to have enough stone.

its not an either or situation, you will have to use direct sorting ON TOP of ore mixing
its just that you cant use direct sorting ALONE if you want efficiency

Does anyone have the linux mega for the game?

No, of course not. The difficulty is in the balancing. How much of each style do I add? Right now, I have a ferrous setup that pumps out 4 yellow belts of iron (and has the capacity to pump out 4 blue belts if fully upgraded). At the same time, I am setting up classic sorting for 5 of the 6 ores minus jivolite, because fuck jivolite leaching. 4 sorters per ore, which is not a lot, but will output assorted ores at a total of 36/s per base ore when fully upgraded. I was considering making cupric mixing, but I'm not sure if I need that much copper and tin ore, figuring classic sorting should be enough. And then there's the sulfuric acid required to produce catalysts. Right now I am producing a large surplus of sulfuric acid thanks to coal washing and floatation combined. But once I start making catalysts and leaching ore, that shit will drain in minutes. Sulfuric acid is my personal bane in angel's + bob's.

theres so many ways to get sulfuric its not even funny
you do, you can feed copper and tin into a strandcaster to shit out tin wire coils directly, and as it happens tin wire is used in electronic boards

There are more consumers than producers. But yeah, it's not hard, I just have a personal grief wit hit.
Yeah, I know, but do I really need blue belts worth of tinned copper wire?

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Copper/Tin from Cupric much. Copper is virtually always in excess and while Tin can run dry there are alternative smelting recipes to fall back on.

A big factor is whether you plan to use Modules. If so then you can essentially get infinite Oil/Gas from pumpjacks that flood you with sulfuric and hydrofluoric acid very easily, only needing level 2/3 speed modules and beacons.

I aint sure about blue belts but it really depends on the scale of your autism

I've completed my waste processing plant, so now I can always use direct sorting to get the shit I'm lacking.

You could do it for the belt compression. Making a 50/50 tin/copper coil belt is equivalent to 2 belts of tin wire and 2 belts of copper wire but much simpler to route and handle. It's also potentially quicker since often the bottleneck is how quickly inserters can pull items off the belt to dump them in the assemblers, the coils will be 4x as efficient here.

Got the Artillery train on patrol of the perimeter. Turns out Bob's adds a way to increase artillery damage, we one-shot most things now. With our range upgrades it's a pretty huge rape zone. It's kind of a dumb script but it loads up on 500 artillery shells and goes around the perimeter in order until it runs out of ammo or things to destroy.

Otherwise we're pretty much just optimizing throughputs and launching rockets/doing research. The base is starting to lag quite a bit. Plans to speed things up include: cleaning up biters, optimizing some fluid routing, using mk5 bots (so we need less), and deconstructing old crap.

I did take us up to module 4s since they are needed for some fairly important equipment. Beyond mk3 suits and mk2 fusion power things get kind of superfluous but those really help.

find a flaw
protip: you cannot

vanilla

Do you just manually pick stuff up from boxes and distribute it?

You should utilize braided belts as a main bus. A 2-wide stretch would support 12 different lanes of goods.

Underground belt compression is obsolete.

Theres no swastika.

There's just no good time for it.
3 miners + 2 belts is 11 out of 12 rows; so is 2 furnaces + 4 inserters + 3 belts; so is 3 boilers + water + coal. And the 12th row is reserved for local spaghetti and preserving my sanity.
Making room for a bus is a non-negligible cost in terms of production and/or horizontal space and effort, which is at a premium early on. And the other resources are fuck you distances away, so I need to transition to rail to get them at which point it's obsolete anyway.

old version
didn't notice some kind user had posted .16 until today

This happened on previous versions as well.

New map gen is total crap. I have been completely unable to get an interesting peninsula start

Try lowering the size of the starting area. It's forced to be flat land.

I didn't know they let Biters post on 8ch.

I've cranked it down until I get attacked right off the bat. In fact, thats how I usually play

lol

newfag here. is this server up only at certain times?

nevermind i managed to figure it out

tried reading the desync report but its all greek to me.

It's not you, server needs to be restarted every so often to avoid constant desyncs. No one else can figure out the problem either.

from what i now understand. all these mods can get really server intensive. unless OP is running a super computer or something i think we are just shit out of luck. at least thats what i think

Starting up a new map after taking a break for a few weeks. I finally understand what the main bus is and how useful it makes getting a factory laid out, but the fact that I've got better patterns now means I'm shitting out so much pollution that biters are constantly on my ass.

Is there really no other "meta" for defense than setting up a belt of ammo around your entire factory? It's all so tedious.

the meta is to clear out buggers before the pollution can reach them
if you cant be assed removing them personally, install AAI and send small vehicle squads out

I just started trying to play this. I feel sufficiently retarded.

Laser turrets, m8.

And yes, as says, if pollution doesn't reach the spawners they won't spawn attack groups. They will spawn expansion groups once in a while but those are much rarer than attack groups from spawners doused in pollution.

So, latest patch makes belts and also inserters magically compress like undies used to do. To be honest, I think it's balls since it removes an element of complexity, but megabase poopsockers will probably be happy.

TBH all the other methods of compression didn't really add anything

Was an exploit and didn't increase complexity at all, it decreased it since undergrounds were more easy to fit in. Since this was the default compression method for a long time replacing it with compression on normal belts shouldn't matter.

Well it's back now. It used to not fully compress and now it does, so good?

Was kind of just tedious bullshit. The running a double output line everywhere just didn't look good.

Autism on a level never before seen.

Megabase fags are just spamming robots to transport everything, doesn't mean shit to them.

some of us play needlessly complicated mods where quadbelting into a single product is the norm
I see a lot what I could do with filter splitters

SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL

user, I think you are a potato. Isn't there a pretty robust mod api? Why not make your own potato mod that you and other potatos can play?

I think the game is written in Lua. I don't blame you for not wanting to mod it.

I feel like farming would be really cool. I was driving across australia and seeing the ludicrously massive fields was really cool, and factorio doesn't really have anything the same kind of raw space requirement.
Also everybody should own a breadmaker, or I guess cook it yourself if you're a poorfag.

It's SHIT
But you could make a farming mod, but I don't see what you could use the food for.

Solar panels come close.

You could use the food and domesticated Xneno's to support a Rimworld style colony which can't be too close to the factory bc fumes an shit.

But solar panels don't do anything.

It is already possible to make your own farming structures and items, as this user pointed out: without any lua scripting you wouldn't be able to do much with it, of course you could make a recipe that requires food in order to "work" for a nigger cattle herding structure as a example, but then you wouldn't introduce any new mechanic. I mean you could make it so that the player needs food in order to survive but it will be hard to balance either it will be too easy which makes it a useless time-sink chore or it will be too hard, which distracts from the main goal of this game of building automated bases.

Feeding domesticated Xenos, which are born after incubating robbed Xenos eggs in an incubator, which requires warm heavy oils, sugar water, and vitamin tablets.
Sugar water is created by mixing water and sugar in a chemical plant, while vitamin tablets are made from petrol, coal and salt. Salt is generated by boiling salt water, which will be a new resource.
Arable land needs normal water for farming though, so you may need to pump fresh water through the desert, or have water delivery trains running to some far away place.

God I want to make this now. The game is made in C IIRC, and I have some experience with that, so I may actually be able to, but I am also a lazy shithead on top.

The game is in sepples but the mod API is in Lua.

There's Angel's Bioprocessing, but farming there is kind of autistic and clunky. It's a decent substitute to petrochem products, though.

They abstract all the game logic to LUA then all the heavy lifting is done in C.

i just got this recently

if i kill all the alien nests within the pollution zones does that mean i wont get attacked anymore? I cleared out all the shit near my base and things got boring quickly.

They will try to expand into your territory periodically, I think by default it's random between 10-60 minutes or something like that, for each one expansion attempt.

Next patch: laser turret health halved.

You earned this.

faster than light bullets?

oh cool. I thought some bases were getting closer but i wasnt sure if that was just me misremembering where they were.

M-mods will fix it!

6 hours in Xander mod and I'm just now starting to automate Iron shit.

Spawned myself on an island with no biters to figure things out. I have Rampant on so as soon as I need to expand it'll involve (((fun))).

Also can I point out the greatest mod ever that no one has mentioned? Lighted Electric Poles looks great at night.

why not just go full masochism and use angels

WHY HAVEN'T YOU STARTED YOUR MAIN BUS YET user?

Angels is easy mode compared to Xander.

But I have.

spaghetti with everything bunched up into one huge mess of a factory is where true aesthetics lie my good fellows

The God of Main Bus smiles on thee user

Aesthetics won't purge the planet of xenos.

First time playing.
This is what happened when I tried upgrading my labs from red packs to green one's.
How did I do?
I'm actually loving how spaghetti it gets. I plan to never optimize and simply let the unorganized mess grow like a tumour. Gonna make for some nice visuals I bet.

press Alt and then make a screencap you niglet

Yeah, I remembered that afterwards.
This one should help.
Coal is delivered by hand since I don't seem to run out of it that fast yet.

Use blueprints until you get the hand of making your own autistic designs is my advice.
Fuck even just use blueprints period. It speeds up gameplay and helps you keep pace with bug evolution.

I haven't seen bugs. How would blueprints help?
From what I gather, I just design modular stuff that I might want to repeat later, right?
I'd still have to design it first, and I'm at that stage of the game where everything is new and strange. For now, I'll just keep tacking shit on it, slapping more mines when the raw resources start to run out and see what happens.
Pretty sure I'm gonna be overwhelmed with bitters rather quickly, but that's why I'm going to invest in military stuff everytime I can.

spaghetti/10
put all your furnaces in the same spot
put down at least 12 drills
create a central bus to produce from because the earlier you start developing the habit of producing from one the better

what a pleb
its part of the fun to figure out optimized setups

But how do you get shit from that central bus to other production lines?
Say I have a gigantic bus with Iron, Copper, Coal and Stone passing through it.
Do I just use Filter Inserters? That shit costs a lot of power compared to normal filters.
Or do I just make a separate bus for each resource?

Usually people do something like this, with production lines for intermediates perpendicular to the main bus. It works alright for the first half of the game and it's easy to expand as you go.

a basic bitch bus has 2 belts for everything so you can balance them out with a splitter to account for compression loss, in arrangements of 4 so you can fork easily

a proper bus has 4 per basic metals, 2 for steel and everything else, again in bundles of 4 for easy forking

if you make a bus line to thicc you will have trouble putting underground belts on or around it

autism-mods work a bit differently in that you dont have a central bus but instead a sorting bus that then supplies localized mini-buses, mostly by train, which are each as big as a vanilla central bus

Is serb down?

That's overblown tbh unless you're making a billion solar panels or trying to launch a rocket with it. Most of your copper is going to become circuits anyway, and nothing else is going to eat steel in those numbers.

What.

Also: what do you put at the end of the bus?
Nothing?

a hope chest for your dreams

No thanks. It would be filled with metal plates gears and cables. I need that space for my hopes and dreams because I have a lot of those.

NEVER beltmix. Keep them pure, and if absolutely necessary put one ingredient on one side, and one on the other.
Just connect them up to the main iron belt. If you don't mix it with cogs then you don't have to worry about clogging it up with too much iron either.
You obviously want to feed the copper wire production, and have it rejoin the copper belt, but why use a splitter for that? Either split it off and don't rejoin it, because the copper line will back up and then no more more will split off, or you just take copper straight from the copper line by moving your grabber to the north side of the assembler.
Set up a dedicated smelting array. You will need more iron/copper anyways, so slap down as many minders as you can on that deposit, then build a dedicated smelting array, where one coal line and one ore line (either one feeds via long arm inserter, or you beltmix coal and iron onto one belt) are feeding into the smelters on one side, and the other is purely iron/copper plates. This allows you to have some centralized smelting area where you only need to deliver one coal belt and won't have to worry about feeding them by hand.

Same user here.
The copper loop + belt spliter is because I was afraid the circuit production would take all the copper and leave none for the red science packs.
But then I realize that the solution is to add more mines since I only have one Copper Mine.
I think I get what you mean with the smelting array. But this was my first 3 hours with the game, mostly just exploring things.
When I get back home, I plan to start centralizing stuff.
One thing I'm thinking about and would like some guides/sugestions:
I see you can have 2 lines of products on a belt.
So if I had 2 belts going near the labs, I could feed them all 4 diferent science packs.
But to ensure I don't get a belt full of green packs or something like that, I'd need to make sure each line in each belt carries only one color. Any sugestions? I'm afraid I haven't explored enough in this field, but I did notive inserters tend to put products on the same side of the belt everytime.

That seems an oddly simple solution to something I thought would be more complicated.
Then again, maybe I'm applying too much Dwarven logic to this game and deciding that anything not meeting a certain complexity/spaghetti quota means it's not being done right.

(checked)

Pretty much that. Also: each belt can hold 2 pure prouduct line, there are red, green, military, blue, production, high tech and space science packs for a total of 8 products.
You would need four belts to feed them all into the science array. Always plan ahead.
(checked)
Anything not so simple that a child could immediately figure it out is bad. Keep playing, you will soon see the light.

Ah crap. I was thinking of placing 2 belts between two rows of labs. With inserters and long inserters, the labs could reach both belts.
But with 8, that means the oposite: a row of labs between 2 pairs of belts.

You can feed from one lab to the other. So in theory you can supply one lab and have another feed off that one.
Go figure out what that means.

See the christmas tree

Yeah, I just noticed. And I'm starting to think that might be usefull for other things aswell.
Then again, you lose the visual part. Seeing a large belt loaded with tiny bottles of "Science Stuff" really adds to the atmosphere.

hmm.. i think the server needs some kind of incinerator mod to get rid of all the shit thats collected over time. the bobs/angels mod generates so much junk that's effectively useless by way of having processes that have multiple products. especially since there's no way to output exactly what you need.

for example, there's like a quarter milllion units of zinc in storage. also tons of sodium hydroxide that cant be used for anything useful. prolly gonna need to make some weird large logic circuit thing to manage everything next time.

mayhaps if you find a mod that works for that, pick one with some negative effects or gameplay having systems so it wont feel so cheaty..

1. put shit in warehouse
2. nuke the warehouse
3. ???
4. profit!

but can you automate it?

no
alternatively update this mod to .16
volafile.org/r/gn09ezd4

Are there any mods, or an option that I'm too stupid to notice, that let me see the electric network info as a HUD element?

heck, if i knew how to mod factorio i'd just roll my own. and probably some kind of complicated highly moddable robot drone thing for crafting/logistics/construction/battle also giant giant pilotable robits for extra weebery. also better and/or more biters.

i guess i can try to wrangle biters or something to do the warehouse destruction.

OIL FOR THE OIL GOD

What are the most important quality of life mods for this version? I haven't touched factorio for about a year now, I think.

Ore creation doesn't have byproducts since I circuited a bunch of direct production up (though there's been some problem with geodes backing up, need to figure out a balance). Zinc overproduction is a left over from before, you can configure the furnaces to use Zinc if you want to get rid of it.

Sodium Hydroxide can be belted over to the rocket fuel creation area and set as a higher priority than local.

is there a mega for .22? only .20 was posted

We should probably just have a full update to .25 along with mods anyway.

I still don't really understand this rail signal shit. Can anybody who knows what the colors mean tell me if this is right? One train comes in from the north, one train comes in from the east, then they both leave the same way they came.

jesus christ, keep the forms simple
the colors dont mean anything, they just indicate track segments determined by the signals

use chain signals going in a complex fork , crossing, or waiting rail
use normal signals on the exit points and everywhere where complex forks arent involved

Server's updated to .16.25, I'm not sure if any mod updates would improve performance. About half the modpack would need to be updated. I could delete unused chunks, that might help somewhat until they are regenerated again, but I think at this point we just have so many things on the map that the server's performance inevitably takes a hit.

Is it harder to update mods on a server mid-game or something? Running mods that are mis-matched to the version they are supposed to be on might not be great.

I doubt unused chunks would help, they'd just be respawned fairly quickly. That's mostly for situations where you relocate your base a hundred miles away and want to delete everything you crossed over.

I'd need to remake the whole base modpack and reupload it, which would take some time. It's not any harder than making it the first time, I just don't think it's worth bothering with if we're not likely to see a performance improvement. If anything, I should probably set up a daily restart.

Do you think the desyncs are due to general performance problems or a mod causing problems? I assumed the latter, which an update might fix.

if there was anthing to cause desync with the mods, the game wouldnt let you join in the first place

It's definitely the mods, but I'd be surprised if the update fixed the issue. Actually, if you want to get the updated mods and replace them in the current modpack as fit, then upload a new rar with the whole folder to mega, I'll apply it

It's not that kind of desync

Okay so the way it works is every colored section on the track can support one train at a time?

Pretty much. The signals wont let a train into a section where there's already another train, even if they couldn't possibly collide. Also the chain signals wont let a train pass if the next signal ahead is red.

mega?
pls

Factorio_x64_0.16.25.zip
mega.nz/#!l5pRmBjY!X7hgIv2Wivl59OLZ6Zw2nIWf0xxtyjVR1EiLf-Rl_3g

thanks

I've run out of autism, I always get bored and quit when it's time to make green science. How do I become autistic enough to play this again?

Play with trains. Trains are fun.

How many more red circuit makers will I need before these machines are fucking satisfied?

They're getting to the end where you toss them in a chest so probably not more?

Done: sendspace.com/file/zhywft

WHY. It's not like there's a space for creativity or any events. Just pure soul crushing grind. It's like a job really.

I've "completed" the game several times, it's green science when I realize I need to do the exact same thing again that I've done so many times in the past.

Trains are past the level of technology that I get bored at. Plus it's a pain in the ass to set up train stops without personal roboport which is even further down the line.

install mods then, thats what I did when I got bored with vanilla

Applied the mods to the server

You only need this modpack now:
sendspace.com/file/zhywft

any mods that turn things into more of a deathworld?

A shitton. More than for green circuits because they produce so damn slowly, even with modules or beacons. I think my last factory had 48.

It wasn't enough…

The easiest and simplest way to do things is always the wrong way in Factorio. You're supposed to coat the entire planet in giant loops and streams of belts whipping by thousands of items per second in every direction so you can see the full power of your autism.

Well fug I should probably use a more efficient pattern. Also I've started to notice that just before a xeno nest sends out a branch colony group, there's lots of movement inside of the nest. Usually they sit still doing nothing like the worthless wastes of resources that they are, but occasionally they get restless even without pollution touching them.

Every time I see motion outside the cloud I purge the nest.

Rampant

wait what are those turrent outposts, are they solar powered or just plain ol gun turrets?
why not just build a big beautiful wall with big beautiful holes in it to bait the bugs to go through them

A lot of people build circuits off-site and bring them into the main factory by train, rather than try to plan for expansion along the main bus.

That said, I know green circuits use a 2/3 ratio of copper cable assemblers, but because red circuits produce so slowly, you can probably just stick a couple cable assemblers off to the side, have them put them on a belt and that'll be enough to supply probably a dozen red circuit assemblers. There's no need to take up some much space direct-feeding cables into the assemblers like that.

They're self-sufficient radar outposts with two guns each. 8 solar panels and 6 accumulators will power a single radar forever. It's not enough to stop a war group, but it's actually been effective at stopping expansion groups that happen to come across one. Walls are tiresome and it makes me feel like expanding is harder.

Plus being able to see everything all the time.

awesome thanks

Anyone in the MP server given thought to what to do with the next game (assuming there's another)? Since the current game looks to be mostly wrapped up, and we're sending roughly a rocket every minute or so.

I've been doing a bit of Xander mod but it really is overwhelming, I think it would work well as a collaborative effort. Any other mods to suggest? I've seen some talk about Pyanodons which looks similarly quite complex. I think Pyanodons can go on top of bobs/angels, so we could do it again and ban logistics robots and/or infinite ores to make it more interesting.

Hosting a new game I don't mind, but now that university is on we're probably going to see even less players. Xander seems like it could be okay, Pyanodons I'd rather not play because it's ugly, also it's incompatible with Angels. Logibot ban might be interesting; infinite ores I intend to keep for future games because not having them forces us to expand even more, which just strains server performance and bloats map size.

Simple question: do the "cargo inventory full/empty" conditions for trains also consider the contents of fluid wagons?

Any chance of running a (mostly) vanilla game next time? I am a newish player and I am a bit put off by having to learn a bunch of new mods while other players are trying to play optimally