What are the best DOS games?

Other urls found in this thread:

starsfaq.com/download.htm
bluemoon.ee/history/skyroads/index.html
forums.duke4.net/topic/7387-crt-screen-imitation-in-dosbox/
si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dosbox.html#Download
amuletsandarmor.com/forum/index.php?topic=187.msg970#msg970
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Blood, Eastern Mind, and a shitton of adventure games.

Commander keen. i prefer the first few over 5. The jumping had more weight.

Blood.

Alone in the Dark is the quintessential DOS game.

Death Rally, Grand Theft Auto, Betrayal at Krondor, One Must Fall [digits I can't remember].

Before furfags were a thing, this shit was really fucking cool.

Bump

bio menace, duke nukem 2, hocus pocus, commander keen, zork games, but I'll be completely honest, most pale in comparison to console games.

Syndicate
Abuse
Rise of the Robots 2

abuse is also good, and the crusader games as well.

What
A lot of platformers for PC were really fucking bad which makes me wonder why anyone even mentions them while not even mentioning good/unique ones like Abuse.

because i like apogee games

Lemmings
Princess Maker 2

obligatory.

No.

Castlevania bro.

Good taste.

I've been playing this at the suggestion of the TMNT thread, and it's pretty good. Its a standalone story that merges elements from the Mirage comics and the 87 series. It plays similar to Prince of Persia. The only problem is the control scheme, which takes a bit to get used to. There are two action keys which when held down modify what the numpad keys do. When both keys are pressed simultaneously, the game switches between walk mode and fight mode (they default to space and enter, which means you should probably rebind those in Dosbox). Protip: to go up and down ladders and in and out of doors, in walk mode, hold the enter key then press up or down. Game comes 7zipped in pic related.

Korea made some good DOS games

people want to just talk about games, not have a fucking list thrown at them. let's stop doing this.

I fucking love Daggerfalls cover art because it reminds me of Fighting Fantasy.

Fug

Where does this logic come from? Did you stop wearing shoes because of footfags?

footfag please, people will not stop using shoes.

Someone recommended Stars! in some other thread a week or so ago. It's a neat 4x game. Lots of micromanagement but not as overwhelming as Aurora4x. I thought the tech tree was kind of simplistic though.
starsfaq.com/download.htm

Heres a game from my childhood. Played the shit out of the shareware release.
Finally finished it recently after realizing it went Freeware
bluemoon.ee/history/skyroads/index.html

Friendly reminder to play your dosbox games in scan2x or with the CRT.D3D.fx shader. Scanlines are important to games from the DOS era.

Comes from not wanting to associate with the people in question, but not wanting to wear shoes because of foot fetish fags is a hell of a stretch.

I played a ton Skyroads and Commander Keen as a kid. I also remember occasionally playing some space shooter with a chicken, but I can''t remember what the name of it was.

so which one is better, scan2x or crt.d3d

I really like crt.d3d. Some games don't work with it because it requires you to be in Direct3D, and I think it requires a branch of dos, but it looks great and really fixes the geometry problems. All the pictures I posted are crt.d3d.

forums.duke4.net/topic/7387-crt-screen-imitation-in-dosbox/
This thread has links to anything you'll need, and also has comparison screenshots of the various D3D filters. I suggest CRT.D3D.fx because I feel it captures the proper colors where as other filters tone down the colors.

why not just get an actual crt?

i understand its the scenario "i don't have crt/i dont have enough space on my desk for a crt, so what are my alternatives"

For one a shader is easier, for another crts will only last so long. Also not everyone has the room. Personally, I like the mix of old display techniques with modern displays. We shouldn't just dwell in the past, but we also shouldn't abandon it.

Because Dosbox doesn't work well with CRTs

One more link:
si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dosbox.html#Download
this is the dosbos branch with the CRT.D3D shader. Precompiled download at the bottom.

MechWarrior 2

Maybe I did, what's it to you?

Darklands

Holyshit I forgot about this game.

Master of Orion 1 and 2.

I've been playing Dungeon Hack lately, still not settled whether I like it or not, it's a bit stripped down but it's also sort of what I was looking for in that I didn't want to play a party-based RPG.

This game has no business being as fun as it is. I can't fucking quit playing it.

Sims City 2000

Footfags hate shoes. This analogy doesn't work.

master of magic was the best game made in the dos age and never was surpassed in many aspects.

Had this as a kid and it was a blast.

Quest for Glory series
Ultima 4, 7, 8 and Ultima Underworld 1-2
Might and Magic 6-8
Dungeon Keeper
Lands of Lore 1-2
Wing Commander series
Freespace 1-2

Not true.

A shoe can make the foot sweaty and smelly, if you're into that. It's also a clothing, so it can serve to fuel imagination the same way tight pants can. Pantyhose is like lingerie for the feet, too.

Why is this conversation even happening?

Oh yeah, it was a real treat, especially the stick fighting frogs you abolutely had to get hit by. That game was about health management than actually being good, because some enemies hit you no matter what. And you gotta play it with the PC Speaker, not the soundblaster like in that video.

Princess Maker 2

Are there only two Amulets & Armor fans on Holla Forums??

Man, Sam & Max was the shit.
I remember playing Putt Putt as a kid, always playing it over and over, and always getting sad when it's time to leave the moon.

Descent
Might and magic 4/5
Magic Carpet with anaglyph 3D glasses.

Stunts
SimCity 2000

Shadow government. Get on that shit OP you won't regret it

Well there's your problem. It's a shame too considering it had coop.

Settler 1
Populous II
Syndicate (by Bullfrog)
Tyrian 2000 (shooter game)
Wing Commander (space flight game)
Space Hulk
Fantasy Empires
Master of Magic
Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight

Constructor (multiplayer)
Blood

half those aren't even dos

PCs didn't have any market reason to have graphics acceleration or quality sound of any kind until Doom kicked everyone in the dick thanks to Carmack's sheer autism of being able to make the game run smoothly. He also made a working prototype of SMB3 for PC with smooth scrolling which Nintendo promptly ignored because of course they won't let roundeyes get their barbarian hands on their beloved franchise. It's not because "hurrr DOS devs were just lazy and made shitty PC games."

This, although Arx Fatalis can give you an equivalent fix.

I tried it after some runs on Exult. I like how birds no longer open windows… and there's other random stuff like that exploding butterfly and the end of the quotes/credits and the Guardian reverse speak… but apart from that I'd stay with Exult. Being able to close your backpack with a double click or a right click anywhere on it is priceless.

I've never felt like replaying this one. Later TES are better in every way (except map size which doesn't count because it's just some generic mush. Good luck trying to avoid fast travel in this one.

Also, asking for any PC-98 alike game that features gameplay as comfy as Cobra Mission. I know that gameplay was introduced in the western conversion (I might prefer panties over mosaic) but I'm so so done with crappy grinding or Rance's "talk to all NPCs again after checking all walls!" BS.

How lewd do those actually get?

Worse than Ultima I.
I'm interested in this one. Is it similar to "Pirates!" ?

Took me a second to realize Deus Ex and the Pirates! remakes weren't DOS. I guess I got distracted after seeing the previous entries.

Lewder than the Japanese version, because it was uncensored except for the text.

So we talking penetration or what.

There was also a baby platforming game, but I have no idea what it was called.

Yeah, I was too lazy to bother filtering out the actual non-DOS ones. The list gets less relevant the farther down you go.

It was a free GOG giveaway and it has its place in CRPG history. Not my cup of tea, and before my time to be honest. I started the Ultima series with Ultima 7, personally it was the GTA of its day for me: don't want to pay for that mace you just picked up in the shop? KILL THE SHOPKEEPER DUH
Not even close. I'm not even sure what to compare it to, it is very unique. Watch a gameplay vid or two or pirate the shit out of it matey

Rape, oral and all the other typical sujets. Ever heard of Jast USA?

It usually goes like this:
1- Completing an area directly or indirectly involves rescuing a damsel in distress. Sometimes a scientist glasses lady, sometimes a college student, etc.
2- After clearing the area the girl gives you her number.
3- Since then, whenever you want to, you can call her to meet in a love hotel.
4- The sex scenes feature a static image in visual novel style (blinking eyes and moving lips). In it you get to choose what to use (check-her-out/speak dirty/touch/kiss) on her body. Some girls like her ears to be biten, some girls prefer a lot of dirty talk before even touching, etc). After that you get a lewder pic and you unlock more "items" (some of them you need to get at special stores). If you do something the girl doesn't like, you keep losing HP until she leaves. Otherwise, if you turn her one you get to another pic and you get the option to put it in. You get 1 additional HP every time you (try to) get laid, regardless of the outcome. If you suck too much you can hire prostitutes who will be satisfied regardless of your performance.
5- There's a lot of text, very graphical. Oh, and there's some sound too. Kinda kitsch but whatever.

I like how you don't have sex in dangerous places, sex feels instead more of a Tinder than a "let me reward you with sex for saving me from getting raped".

What the fuck are you talking about? Apogee games looking like dogshit was the exception not the norm. Ultima Underworld got released in 1992 with fully 3D levels.

Fury of the Furries is breddy gud. Really bouncy and inertia-driven physics in a platformer, but for a game mostly designed around it, the game plays well enough. Difficulty curve is all over the place, though. Some bullshit levels here and there, and gets pretty tough by the end.

That game has some of the jankiest platforming I have ever touched. Particularly when there are gimmicks like ice or wind. Bouncing on moving enemies wasn't particularly forgiving either, but that occasionally led to some cool secrets or skipping very large parts of levels.
Still okay.
Just don't land on that fucking moving platform while you have the hang-glider.

(checked)
Not a DOS game, but Drowned God is an excellent older PC title, especially for those interested in /fringe/ and /x/ topics. And despite being an average game, Eternam has a kickass intro.

But charts can serve as a good discussion starter. It helps condense the information into a digestible format and can help those who are looking to increase their backlog.

Prehistorik was literally the only good game Titus made ever during a slew of shit.

Holy shit, I should beat you to death with an AdLib card.

I have seen the exact opposite constantly, people just take the charts and leave. The only thing they're good for is retro scalpers that want to create a kike monopoly where they own everything and appreciate the cheat sheets.

No thanks

(trips of truth?)
I often forget about a lot of the games people talk about in threads, so I can appreciate the charts. Or I could just write it all down in a text file, but then again that's what the "scalpers" could do too.

No rape. I mean, there's a girl that's been eaten against her will and another girl has been kidnapped inside a BDSM castle… all that stuff is done by the baddies and you just rescue the girls from them.

man I played the shit out of this game

God…god damn it. This is a thing? Of course this is a thing. Of course someone, somewhere, would see an "opportunity" for a "new market" and start buying up awesome retro shit to sit on and intentionally try and inflate the price on. Fuck. FUCK.
GOD DAMN RETRO SCALPERS.

versus
inb4 >lol u were a kid
Yeah dad, I know AdLib was such a smash hit with the consumer market at the turn of the 90s. You guys seem to be forgetting your past here. Video games were not always popular.
I'm not just talking about the technical achievement part dumbasses, I'm talking about the fact that Doom helped sell Windows when it was eventually released as Ultimate Doom. It was a popular game that made acceleration cards popular by association.

Why the fuck is that relevant? Catacombs 3D had 3D levels. The thing that set Doom apart was the speed and freedom of movement and levels with actually vertical things.

I mentioned Princess Maker 2 earlier here, but are any of the other Princess Maker games worth trying out? I've only ever played the second one.

If you're looking for more of 2 then 1 is good.
3 and 4 change a lot so depending on what you liked in the previous titles will determine if you like these. They don't have the adventure part where you fight monsters and get treasure for example. So play 1 and try out 3 to see if you'll still like the series.

The Best

One of the main reasons why I believe that Crusader is such a timeless classic is its top notch soundtrack.

I remember Crusader had the same engine of Ultima 8. Looked more fun too.

bump

best dos game
prove me wrong

Is that the one where you just jerk off behind a tree and collect fruit?
Because I remember a game where you just jerked off behind a tree and collected fruit.

Man this game was great. It's too bad this style of game died out.

Accidental read that as "announce you readiness to defend the clans boner"

yep, that's the one

One of the original devs has released it as freeware and ported it to Windows. It looks like multiplayer is functional, albeit a little buggy.
amuletsandarmor.com/forum/index.php?topic=187.msg970#msg970

Duke Nukem 1 & 2
Corncob 3D
the 3 Hugo games
Sim City 2000

Electronic Popple!

This is why piracy is a good thing. Never let yourself be tricked into spending a fortune just to play video games that aren't available for retail sale anymore. I'm acquiring flash carts and SD optical drive replacements for my systems. Too bad that the options for the Saturn and Dreamcast are only up for sale once a goddamn century.

Truly bizarre how me and my brother were able to beat that game as a kid, even though we had no idea what the fuck was going on (didn't even understand English then).

Did anything strange happen to you under the recent blood moon?

Does anyone remember a strange fortune teller program that involved actually dialing up? All I recall is me and a friend constantly asking them to show vagene until they buckled, but then my Dad came home and we panicked.

All I can say is that never touch the same floating golden alien skull artifact at the same time with your brother when you're exploring ancient alien ruins. Finding old Mayan witch doctors to lift the curse is such a pain these days.

That is sage advice, should really have its own thread and be stickied.

I need some recommendations for managerial games in similar vein like SimCity2000, Theme Park, Theme Hospital or Constructor.

LGR reviewed a recent re-do of Sim Tower that seemed to scratch that particular type of itch, as well as Cities: Skylines. I hate the shit out of sim games, but that's just my personal preference. I recognize them as good games, just not fun to me.

FurryMUCK launched in 1990

This is different. Everything made today with furries in it is made by furfags so it makes old stuff look like it was too.

Since when? It works fine on mine.

Didn't somebody find a cheaper way for the Dreamcast around a year ago?

No such time exists

There's something that goes through the serial port, but it's reportedly horribly slow. GDEMU and RHEA are what I was shooting for, as they replace the optical drives. Hell, there's even one in development for the FM Towns Marty, appropriately named Doc Brown.

There was tons of screen tearing when I tried it on my CRT.
Seeing screen tearing on a CRT is so bizarre like how does that even happen.