MMO games

This is one of the things that makes multiplayer online games really unappealing to me: only a handful of them can exist at a given time, because there's only so many people playing them, and a game with not enough active players is fucked because nobody wants to play an online game that doesn't have enough players. It means only the popular games get to continue to live on, which doesn't automatically mean they're better, they're just more widely known.

Also mmo-games should release server-software, so they never truly die.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Next
please
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Nova
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why, so people can just wait until a game dies and then play for free with all the benefits that they wanted people to pay for? And you just said yourself - nobody really wants to play an MMO when nobody really plays, and if you're just running private servers - only a handful of people are going to be playing. They'll be unpopulated - meaning you're either going to be stuck in a game with not nearly enough players to support the player counts the game was expecting to support when it was designed - or they're going to hamstring their game by designing for smaller more tight-knit communities that make them no money, but feel good when run by autists for public use without the developers being compensated for it.

But you're not entirely wrong. I think part of the reason why you see so many shooters like Blunderborne and StudioBreakers is because online shooters are so close to being MMOs at this point - that nobody wants to leave the popular titles that they've already invested a ton of cash and progression into just to fuck around with something else that they're not even going to be able to fully enjoy without 50~100+ hours of grinding, and why bother with those when it's all basically the same shit and you could have sunk those hours into the popular shooter?

Basically, online shooters are going to fall into the same trap as MMOs. Only a handful of "popular" maypole titles that the entire industry revolves around are even going to make a dent - and everything else is just going fail on launch. It'll create a market where you either have to catch lightning in a bottle, or else you're going to lose your ass. There is very little middle ground.

ASSFAGGOTS and eShits killed the MMO scene causing only the most casualized trash (WoW, FFXIV, Runeshit) and most hardcore (EVE) to thrive. Nobody is investing into the MMO market right now because it's a husk of what it was 10-15 years ago.

an even bigger problem is the fact that they all have really, REALLY shitty gameplay

Warhammer Online has been revived.
Just needs more players.
Return of Reckoning

Fucking Amen.
ASSFAGGOTS only scraped the "cream" of the players, meaning not the RP:ers or the guild-event addicts, but they got the driving force of guilds (random dopamine addicts) to go play the games that give the easiest hit. So the guilds were left with soyboys and the like to run them, so obviously they just slowly die.

Not too hard to understand.

R.I.P.

I hope the private server will be successful at least.

The worst part of MMOs is that everything has been far too influenced by WoW. WoW streamlined some gameplay elements that arguably needed to be streamlined from prior MMOs, but ultimately damaged the genre in my opinion. Too many games play far too similarly.

The other problem with MMOs is the sheer repetitiveness of content. Running the same dungeons with the same bosses over and over to get your drops isn't fun, and every game has that problem. PvP would be a good alternative to repetitive PvE content but MMO PvP is almost always utter trash, poorly balanced, and an afterthought at best.

The worst part of MMO's is that they play like a bad single player RPG. They are linear and the players do not impact the world. Often times, you can choose to be social OR play the game, while in a good MMO you should HAVE to work with other players OR you should be free to do whatever you want (no linear story quests).

A MMO should be a world. To create a good MMO you have to create a world. A good MMO has not yet been created.

Blame the players for that, because that's the content they actually utilize, even if they say they want variety and more diversified mechanics. Everybody just min-maxes and optimizes their playstyle to get the most drops, from the most profitable areas, in the shortest periods of time. If you're not fully optimized with "approved classes" and group configurations - you might as well quit.

Even in a game like Phantasy Star Fucking Universe - which had all the variety you could ever want and real-time action combat that was more skill based than formulaic - what you ended up with was people just running White Beast all the fucking time because it gave decent drops, good XP, and you didn't have to fuck with any elemental change-ups - everything was light-based and weak to dark weapons. It was only exasperated by the fact that there was no global server-wide shout feature, so everyone just hung around in the lobby you access WB from to do their LFG. So you couldn't just go to a counter and find a game like you could in PSO - since everyone was at WB lobby, and the reason why they were there was to play WB - not to fuck around wasting time in other missions.

What do you think of pso2?

I think the way to fix this is to kill instances and re-spawning. Also, a rigid class system is not needed. None of these things happen in a real world. If all the goblins in a cave are killed, you're not going to find them there again unless, some gobs move in from outside.

EverQuest Next was working on this but was killed by the New York Juden not even kidding after Sony Online Entertainment was sold.

Basically a good MMO should emulate the real world as closely as possible and then consciously make certain changes to draw people from the real world into the fantastical one.

this is one i gotta hear

I've been trying to get into Blade & Soul because it has a unique aesthetic and the art is good, but the PvW game play is so boring, and the the game feels very in your face about trying to part you from your sheckles, and paying money isn't just for cosmetics, it can make you win, and skip the game almost entirely. Cash shops are fine if it's purely cosmetic… or full loot is a thing brutal.png

ht tps://ste emit.com/@vox xe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daybreak_Game_Company

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EverQuest_Next

please use archive.is/view/news/287131/Daybreak_president_Russell_Shanks_steps_down_after_16_months.php

(((Russell_Shanks)))

https:// ww w.linkedin.com/in/russell-shanks-1965642

If you have linkedin you can confirm if you like.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Nova

>Owner Viktor (((Vekselberg)))

I really wish I could get into FFXIV, I just don't have the time. It's a little intimidating to just start out in something that has such a relatively long history, too. It feels like something that's worth investing time in, I just don't have it…it sucks.

Nah. FFXIV isn't that good, plus 90% of the players are literal retards and Yoshi keeps making design choices based on them.

I started, but found the combat stale, although I like the community. I was on a free account and you were not even permitted to make friends or chat! I wasn't willing to make the commitment in time and buy a subscription.

END TAB TARGETING NOW!
Seriously though, development of MMO's are the definition of insanity. Doing the same shit time and time again expecting different results. None of them even try to innovate so they wonder why they keep tanking.

2018 looks somewhat different to waht mmos have been for the last few years
I hear one is going back to being community focused, doing away with the whole sit and do jack shit till que pops
and aonther is promising to be what BDO was in its closed betas

Game has a GCD on abilities and in game weddings. Makes you think.

Titles?
I had high hopes for BDO to be a open world RPG with good graphics, but then I heard lots of bad things..

Imagine federated private servers.

I think I played that game forever ago, but years later when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it.

I wish it was what it promised to be. Worst part is that you can see that the devs just need to re-enable the original systems and stop pushing cash shop solutions so hard.

Those are two completely unrelated things you turbonigger. You could've at least been logically consistent and said that they pander to furries and scalies.

As bad as SAO was ,the authors self-insert wish-fulfillment anime, it had some good concepts, like libre/open-source MMO's so that you can just copy the world run your own iteration of it, and edit it ect… 'world seed' it was called.

Just imagine an EDF MMO? :^)

MMO's will never be good as long as you are unable to spank naughty players and send them to their rooms.

Guaranteed top-tier weps and no loss grinding were a god send.
They removed all RNG frustration from the game and made it the only online game worth playing anymore.

I think of the potential had MMOs not been crippled years ago, especially with the advent of VR and ARG, and I get sad.

And then they took away the guaranteed top tier weapons again by not giving the dragon a collect file. "But, you can buy the dragon weapons from other players!" I'm sure I'll have enough meseta for that if I play the game 12 hours a day, every day until the sun burns out.
Oh, and the no loss grinding isn't as great as people think. I could get a 13 star maxed out for just a bit over a million meseta before new world weapons thanks to grind skips, and I only needed 2-3 of the weapon instead of a required six.

You don't seem to understand the concept of a dynamic world. Or multiple iterations of that same world.

People like you bitch and moan about everything.
Just fucking play some other genre? You can get 6+ mil in 2 hours doing harkotan TA with 3 characters since game gives you 3 free character slots.
SO MUCH FUCKING GRINDING OMG!
Or do you want super weapon to be given to you as day 1 log in reward?
Then you'll complain about needing to log in at all, won't you?
Fuck off.
Play some zelda.

Actually, I was perfectly happy with collect files. I thought they were a good middle ground between pure RNG and making it too easy to get shit. New world weapons can fuck off, though, and the intensity of your sperg out makes me realize you must be one of those people who kept crying about Dudu.

So why do you bitch then?

I haven't had the heart to uninstall Firefall yet. I keep hoping it won't be long until a server emulator or private server comes along, but I doubt anyone capable of creating either of those cares enough about Firefall to put in the effort.

anyone wants to play project gorgon? i've been playing on and off for the last week, did a few quests here and there, and hit 25 pyromancy but its boring alone and with normalfags.

Pantheon rise of the fallen is the back to community mmo
Ashes of creation is what BDO promised during CB tests
however both of them are still in development so shits subject to change like BDO did

weird didn't link

I remember a time when it was suggested that you wear diapers during raids in MMO's.

Ideally, they'll have made their money and releasing server software would allow any hardcore groups to continue playing if the company dies. Doing this is a massive thank you to the community and would probably have players looking out for your games in the future out of favourable opinions.

I wonder if this is where the fetish was popularised

MMOs died within the first year of Ultima Online’s release. Once it turned carebear because of Everquest’s rise, everything thereafter was shit.

Despite being a shit walking sim that is stuck in dev limbo, I’ve often thought a game like DayZ SA has the foundation to be flipped into a modern medieval/fantasy hardcore MMO with a classless, skill-based progression system and “realistic” PvP w/ appropriate punishment for death.

Basically, give me an open world, with a massive map, no fast travel, enough players/content to not devolve into a walking sim, light survival elements that don’t hinder gameplay, but encourage socializing. Proper punishment for death (no skill/level loss, but fully lootable corpses), raidable base-building mechanics (w/ a robust guild/group system), a crafting system that can result in high-tier equipment that rivals most of the spawned/treasure/lootable gear, and a mechanic that could allow for player formed factions/governments/bounties that can’t be abused for “muh toxicity.” Realistic sword play, magic that has impact, and an economy that gives Bambi-tier crafter/miner/resource farmer types a reason to exist (and possibly be enslaved or recruited by player groups).

UO, despite it’s weekly patches that introduced a host of new bugs and drastically changed gameplay from patch to patch, nailed so much of this way back in 96-98ish. If you played after, you have no idea what the wonder years were like. If you wanted to RP, there was plenty of room to do that, but you’d still encounter a PK (playerkiller) that would call you a faggot, butcher your corpse and tease your mates by breaking into your guild house and leaving a scene of ritualistic sacrifice consisting of the ears and bones of “Carebear IronOreMiner” formed into a pentagram.

Once word spread after enough of these peasant raids and highwayman robberies, you’d end up with a a full-on 40-man battle of glory between the “PKs” and “anti-PKs” (white knights). No voicechat, no weeks-advanced organized battles (yes this happened too, later) just straight-up, organic player-led chaos.

Never seen anything like it since. And no, fuck EVE.

Mortal Online?

People say GW2 is awful and they're right, but the foundation of that evil is in EotN. RIP Rurik; I'm actually glad you're dead so you never have to see your people fornicating with baby-eating Charr.

SAO had lots of good concepts, but most were poorly executed. Having a private server framework that let you connect multiple servers would be great. If you think about it, most MMOs do some element of this already. Look at cross realm play in WoW. If the private servers could treat eachother as separate realms, and do cross realm parties and dungeons with federation, it would solve the playerbase problem for private servers.

There's nothing hardcore about eve though, in fact it's the shallowest of all MMOs I've ever had the displeasure of playing. The only interest is that it has lax moderation rules which allows people to infiltrate corps to steal shit without getting their accounts banned. Other than that it has 0 mechanical requirements whatsoever, barely needs any kind of knowledge either. It's effectively about pure numbers when controlling for group comp when it comes to confrontations, and confrontations (both small-scale pvp or swarms - the latter being all about waiting 10 minutes for 1 second of gametime to be processed by the server -) are a very minor part of the game.

So Ark? Or Silk Road?

You're wasting your time with anything else right now.

So how would anons design an MMO?

I'd play it it wasn't badly written garbage.

MMOs in general are pretty bad.

It's a clunky, outdated genre. It's fucking 2018 and the genre still has 1999 mechanics and problems. The genre is fucking dead and rightfully so.

At this point, I'd worry less about the medium itself. Those novelties from 1999-2004 are bygone mechanics, and we've evolved in games that MMOs don't really have a place anymore, now that regular games are adopting those things instead.

GTA Online is a perfect example. Yes, I know GTAO is shit, but an online component where we're playing with hundreds of others in a certain area is no longer a novelty like it was in 1999-2004, now it's a commonplace expectation, as it fucking should be.

Never played. Elaborate?
All I've heard is that it's ridiculously grindy repetetive shit and /clang/ material galore.

Well you complain how mmos stick to old formulas.
Well WF abandons all of the old formulas, for better or for worse.
Try it, it's free and doesn't even weight that much.

I'll give it a try sometime. The most recent shit I tried were BDO and TERA and hated both. I always wrote Warframe off since I thought it was like Tribes-lite or some shit, and not really an MMO.

don't play it. The main method of grind is to grind shit to trade for cash shop currency so you can escape the worse grind of actually trying to get the shit

also it's not even an MMO. you can only play with a few players max at a time as it's lobby based. There's absolutely 0 player interaction otherwise aside from a trade chat.

Warframe doesn't really count as an MMO, since you can only have four people in one mission and any interactions outside missions are barebones. I do like it though, since playing as a space ninja is fun.

Do not try Warframe. It is shit and Chinese. Do not support the Chinese. Do not support Tencent. They are a plague and a pox on video games and on the world.

Kill yourself shill, let that garbage die already. It should have died years ago when they ruined it.

Jokes on you chinese warframe is a completely different game at this point.

This is truth, i've played enough mmo's to have gotten more than sick of doing the usual aka just rushing to max level so the game actually starts and i havent even played mmos for like 5-6~ years!
With friends the road to level cap was bearable but it's not like you can count on them all the time, some die, some get a life aka wife and so on…

Is there even any more modern mmos these days where the game actually starts pretty much right off the bat instead of once you've gotten to max level?

Warframe is not owned by tencent you retard.

It's also shut down.

The age of MMO has long since passed OP

According to wiki

Well shit, I wonder why they only stopped the PS4 version.
Stop.

Mount&Blade would make for a good MMO.

What, don't like kawaii uguu shit in your space ninja simulator?
Too bad.

I'm less mad about the animoo than I am about the twitch nigger cocksucking.

I don't follow the community, I just hat these fucking avatars that you can't hide.

Except SWG predated WoW by years, and was nowhere close to killing it.

In fact, NGE was the response to WoW, as WoW made Smedley actively shit himself and decide that all games in the SOE catalog needed to be like WoW. Which, hilariously, ended up killing those games instead.

t. Former SOE exec who got to watch everything go up in flames firsthand

Don't lie to me faggot

Quite dead serious. I've been heavily considering putting up an infodump once my post-departure NDA clause is up.

So… any truth to the rumor that Sony was pulling some kind of deliberate behind the scenes fuckery to scuttle the simultaneous launch of FFXI and push it back to 2004 in western territories so that they could milk more sales and subscriptions out of EQOA and it's frontiers expansion since they knew most people were just using it as a stop-gap game until FFXI released?

Honestly I think I endeded up having more fun with EQOA than I did with FFXI, but that's where all my friends went as soon as it launched, so I went with them - though both games were just stop-gaps for me until PSU came out.

Fuck Satoshi Sakai for screwing with the PSO formula and completely ruining what could have been a fantastic game right out of the gate, but didn't end up getting fixed until the goddamned PSP handheld port

I'm not even sure at this point why I would want to play any MMO. Hell, out of all the MMOs I've played in the past, the most fun I've had was while playing the parts of the game that functioned least as an MMO.

You know what? Fuck it man, if you don't mind, when's the NDA up ? I always love a good ole fashioned dumpster fire.

This is a popular rumor, but no. The truth of this is that the launch of FFXI in the west was a disaster. SOE was actually handling the localization as well as customer support for that game, and everything had to be in place before it went live.

At the time, Sony and Square were working with Microsoft, and the localization to Xbox's hardware was a proprietary nightmare. Everything had to be sent back for recert multiple times. By the time we had Xbox's test server up (Hydra), Microsoft backed out at the last moment. EQOA had an entirely different team, and there was very little cross-pollination between the two. EQOA was handled entirely in-house, along with FFXI's customer support, but everything else was handled between SOE and Square-LA.

NDA goes up Feb. 21 of this year.

We will be watching if you want to post something here.
Hopefully you're not just LARPing.

I'll post what I can. I'll admit that I don't particularly have anything juicy, or stuff that isn't already public knowledge. (Smedley's greed and staggering incompotence, company culture, weird paradign shifts between Square/SOE, and the infamous LucasArts/NGE fiasco). I'm not going to post anything that will identify me, since I landed in a new gig with other former SOE alumni when the layoffs hit - but I'll field whatever happens to fall through the cracks.

No LARPing, just a dude who's still pretty bitter and resentful even years later.

Even worse when they're an MMOFPS in a situation where the only competition happens to be 15+ years old or puts all of the focus on "survival" but is still falling apart at the seams.

lucas's dementia actually had very little to do with SWG's fall. SOE petitioned for a big-time change to the game's mechanics after the launch of WoW and really, lucas et al had nearly nothing to do with the game at that point aside from counting the licensing fees. SOE made their New Game Engine changes and drove off a monumental number of players, while only attracting total retards who were looking for Space WoW and predictably didn't stick around for too long. by the time SWG died it was a total shell of its former self and frankly needed to go; at that point the only redeeming points were the JTL elements (space flight, starship crafting) and the crafting system which remained completely unchanged from pre-NGE.

tl;dr either you weren't there for the real glory days of SWG, when it was hard and weird and almost entirely community-based, or were only there for the NGE phase which was a complete shitshow

What's your opinion on the CU? Obviously the NGE is regarded as one of the biggest mistakes in MMO history, but amongst the playerbase the CU doesn't hold that much better of a reputation.
I didn't hate the CU as much as most, just curious to hear what an employee thinks.

Rust? :^)

Or Shadowbane? Or Dark Fall or all the other games that tried this Ultima Online puritanism bullshit, but failed because nobody with a brain wants to play a Game for hundreds of hours only to lose your entire gains to some PK asshole.
Ultima purist are just a cancer like the endgame Dungeon raiding Sockshitters, they are the "No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination" fags of the MMORPG world.
Instead of letting MMORPGs become what they were originally intended to be(a 3D online environment to play RPGs), they found a limited way to enjoy their limited game and now everything that comes afterwards has to be exactly the same way forever until the cold death of the universe.

Fuck PKer faggots I just wanted to be a tailor. Fucking bullies ruin everything. Every game should have Darkmoons

What kind of tailor?

If I'm going to be completely candid about this, the CU was a fucking disaster. Everyone knew why this change was being pushed. Since 2005, WoW was the unspoken elephant in the room, and was the external driving force that influenced every single change from then onward.

The CU was a double-whammy of both good and bad things. The good was that this caused the teams to re-evaluate problems of both gameplay and feedback, and fix exploits and bugs that have been prevalent since beta. There was actually optimism in this, because the dev team actually believed that this would make for a better game overall through modernization, keeping to the ethos of being a cutting-edge studio, and after playing WoW, player engagement became the first and foremost topic in every all-hands meeting from then onward. This actually inserted a lot of positivity in the teams because this meant the possibility of rolling out some really cool things.

The shitty part: CU was formulated on WoW's metric standard. Meaning that leveling, questing, even professions had to be on par with what WoW was delivering.

A quick note about Smedley. He's always had the tendency to chase trends (see CliffyB and George Broussard), without any real knowledge of why certain things caught on. As a result, a lot of things ended up as half-baked implementations of ideas that, by the time of release, the ship had already sailed six months ago. He was always very much a fellowkids.jpg kind of person, who tried too hard to have edge and candor, and failed to grasp what makes gameplay, good gameplay. (Tactility, feedback, reward) - This is why SWG became something of a caricature of itself, especially once NGE hit. It tried so hard to be WoW, that it completely lost its own identity in the process. And it stung.

In the end, about six months post-NGE, all of our titles were stagnant. EQ2, Matrix Online, Planetside, and SWG were just painful displays of mediocrity. Partly because of Smedley's complete inability to possess any kind of abstract thought, but also because by the end of it, we were a software house that was completely demoralized and torn asunder by trend fatigue. Smedley wanted nothing more than to catch butterflies while making us make empty nets incapable of catching them.

It was a really awful point in time, and the layoffs that came after didn't come as much of a surprise to anyone.

Thanks for the insight. I remember it well; I canceled my sub the day SOE launched the 'beta' feeler opening of the NGE with Solo's ebin escape that would later become the opening of the game. Fuck Smedley and fuck suits for ruining what was a flawed diamond.

Why would you want to be a tailor user?
Do you like to make pretty dresses?
Do you wear those dresses you make in secret?
Can I wear one with you?

Why don't they just make good games and then make them MMOs instead of making world of warcraft and then slapping a skin on it?

I guess the simple answer is to imagine your average share holder. Most of them don't really play video games. The few that do probably don't have much of a voice or a care for the company they are invested in other than seeing the most bang for their buck in the shortest amount of time. So to ensure this is what happens, they look at trends of what is and what isn't popular (hint, WoW despite its current downward spiral is still a giant) and try and direct the publisher to direct the developer to take all the things successful thing does and emulate it. They think this is the easy route to the next big thing (with the developer as pointed out sometimes helping along the way). Sometimes it is the Devs with these massive delusions of grandeur, thinking they are making the next "WoWKiller" with normalfags and useful idiots eating it up and keeping his head in the clouds. This is something I'm going to expand upon later.

But just understand that shareholders figure that if you follow a product and "improve" upon it with a gimmick or in how its marketed attempt to make subscription based MMO, lose numbers quickly, try to make it free to play MMO to entice people away from the big subscription giant and instead of subscription add micro transactions as a way to recoup costs and make profit or "Its like WoW in space!" The issue is that these shareholders, the publishers and maybe even the developers themselves don't realize is that having any hopes right out the gate of matching WoW's subscription numbers even now when they are known to be failing is just a recipe for disaster. There are a few reasons for this but they really are related to one another.

Even if you do everything exactly like World of Warcraft, and then throw on a gimmick, a change of setting, or removing and adding a couple of classes you aren't fooling anyone except the willfully ignorant. If you want to entice players to try something new you're going to have to take risks, which if you're only a bottom line follower you will only see risk, which means a possibility of losing growth, which is the last thing you want when you're financially invested in something. This is reasonable looking at it from their perspective, you don't usually invest in a lemonade stand because you really like lemonade, you do it because it makes money. This analogy actually works pretty decent for this situation for the next point.

Imagine you're a shareholder for a second and you're thinking of investing. You see a lemonade stand. You don't know the first thing on making lemonade, you may not even drink ever yourself, but shit man, people buy the stuff and are crazy for it. So you invest. Then one day the company has a meeting and tells everyone there that they want to try to make cream puffs to go with lemonade. You pull the reigns on this and start asking questions as they start to zone out from the thought of stuffing cream puffs into their mouth and washing it down with lemonade at a cyclic rate. How much research have they done on this? Are they experienced in this? How many experts do they have on cream puffs, or how many do they need to hire to get this thing started? What's the overhead, the safeties required, do you have to find industrial ovens, or just use some simple home ovens to get things started? So you start looking at all this, and you start seeing all the ways it go wrong. Like lemonade, you don't know the first thing about cream puffs but you know that a stove left on at night can burn a place down, and that's basically an oven, right? And that a burnt down lemonade stand sells no lemonade. You think cream puffs might be a good idea somewhere down the line, but there's so many ways it could go wrong that you can't see the possibility for a decent success. So instead you ask for them to kindly hold off on all this, and maybe look into a new type of lemonade drink, like pink lemonade.
Or what's worse, you see a competitive stand selling cream puffs and they are selling like hot cakes. You just WISH that the stand you're investing in could even make half the profits or even better the same amount of sales they make. So you force the stand who isn't really experienced in all this baking business but wanted to make something that goes well with lemonade anyway, so they go the cream puff route like you tell them to. They do okayish, but definitely not what the competition does, and what's worse, people go right back to the original cream puff stand or on to something different. This next point is why making exactly WoW with an extra gimmick or free to play has an issue of its own and why this analogy breaks down here.

(cont'd)

You may interact when you eat a cream puff, you may interact with lemonade when you drink it, but you'll be hard pressed to find a cream puff or glass of lemonade that gives you the same spectrum of emotion as video games do. The depth of interaction from games is unlike anything else in media we use today. A movie, book, or art are crafted in a way so that the director, author, or painter's point of view is cast upon the viewer. Now that doesn't mean you'll agree with it, or even like it, but its what happens. Games, at their very core are built on that relationship between you as a player interacting with the world the game designer built himself. These can illicit all types of emotions, the sadness of watching a beloved character die ingame, the shock of losing to an enemy that you know you could easily beat or have beaten before, the joy when you snatch victory from the jaws of defeat against a human player, the comfort and fellowship of a group of friends, and MMO's only magnify these feelings 100 fold. Even a game like Wurm, which most would agree is massively (for an autist grinder) multiplayer, has created everything from a sense of friendship amongst autists to gut busting laughter at the rage of some fag who has to go and find all of his items in a big scavenger hunt, only to get a message at the end calling him a bitch and forcing him to buy them from a shop owned by the user who offed him, has moments like this.
Now what does this have to do with the above? If you copy the experience from before, with ALL of its flaws and strengths, you already have an experience that people have already dealt with, but worse because they recognize a rehash for a rehash. The reason I brought in the ideas of emotion attached to vidya? It's because an MMO above all else HAS to, and I repeat HAS to foster a sense of community. Why has WoW been doing so shit recently beyond most of all of it's other flaws? It's the loss of the community. Sure you can shitpost occasionally in the trade chat, sure you can actually talk if you spot someone who isn't immediately hopping onto a flying mount because they pressed the wrong button, you might even actually get the group to talk for a second in the dungeon you qued up for. But for all the convenience that their dungeon finder and raid finder has done, it has also effectively made it so that you don't even need to speak to do end game content. What you're left with is an island of self in a void, which is the last feeling you should feel in a game genre about meeting people and working together with those people. But again, shareholders don't really understand that, they just see money and follow trends.

Don't get me wrong, the first thing I'd love to do is get up in the morning and Hop on to say hey to all the anons playing the next actually fun MMO but to see that sort of thing Devs will need to do a few things.

You are not going to have WoW's longevity or success if you go in thinking that's what you'll get. Cliffy B. has already shown us where the next "Billion dollar idea" gets you. And rightfully fucking so. There is nothing wrong with a game that is well done and who's qualities show through to middling success.

This one is probably the toughest. It requires not just flexibility on shareholder, and publisher, but also on the people developing it to try something new. By actually dialing back your ideas of where you want your game to stand, you won't have to try and secure an incredibly large budget from shareholders expecting an incredibly large return. This flexibility in devs is in the ability to properly articulate what makes your game different to the powers that be but also the ability to properly code it in so that it isn't a terrible mess on the day of release and kills your game outright.

This is arguably the most important. Foster a sense of community not only in game (especially in game) but also outside of the game. Make it so that players interact not only because they have to, but because they want to. WoW at this point has become a single player game with really rude NPC's. Strive to make an MMO where people are happy to log in and work together. Host community events, make Inns and taverns more interactive. Make your game more than just, "LFG 1 DPS for Dickgrinder Cave". Take a stance on things that build up the community, and make it a hard stance. Make it so your community remembers your game as more than just, "The next attempt at fastest shut down MMO".

I wish there was an MMO Corruption of Champions. Kinda like hellmoo but less intimidating.

It's sad that most people didn't care about SMT Imagine, but I don't blame them. The game's localization sucked, and the Japanese version was a bit cryptic to git gud at.

Worst Glyph in the game and needs to die.

Clem needs to die too. What an obnoxious meme.

die sexhaver scum

You speak to my soul, user: And I know your words are true.
Any MMO that shirks community, no matter how mechanically great or otherwise, will fail and die horribly. This is why I still play mabi, as dead as it is, with fags from Holla Forums occasionally. Community has always been Mabi's main focus. It's also why I'm hopeful for peria chronicles even if it's held by nexon.

I honestly probably went overboard and am flat out wrong about the other parts of my post but I do honestly believe that community is the mainstay of the MMO and that while WoW has it's own issues causing the mass amount of subscriber drop, the fact you are actually surprised if someone does more than say hey in a dungeon is an issue all on it's own.

MMO's need cuddling mechanics.

The only mmo I can think of is Revelation Online and it's a shitty chink f2p mmo. Although Wakfu had emotes you could use on other people, not sure if they had cuddling emotes.

It's a cold day when you can't even give an user a headpat nevermind a cuddle. seriously though you'd think MMO's would capitalize on social interaction rather than detract from it in game?

I can see the Kotaku article now
SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN WAIFU TALES

It's okay user I was too shy to leave the orphanage anyway.

It's fine, InfernoMOO is the better game now.

Perfect World let you carry your healfu in your arms.

Hellmoo was already a shitty hugbox, but infernomoo took it one step further.
The best version was hatemoo

Do they? Removing the orphanage and underage characters was a weird choice considering that you can still rape and murder players in the order of your choosing, but it's worth it to have better game balance and actual PvP.

If that means that I'm going to have to play a censored game then no, it's not worth it.
Also from what I remember they casualized leveling and training stats compared to hatemoo and hellmoo. I don't remember the details though since it has been a while since I played these games

Yes, I've complained about it in the general chat, and got struck by a lightning

it didn't let me build, fix, or buy motorcycles, therefore it was shit

Why? Sega block gaijin IP so its dead, they just dont want any players

What's the best current MMO for pretending to be a girl?

Anyone?

To be an ERP fag or to trick people out of money? Because TERA has the thick-thigh lolis but i'm pretty sure nearly everyone knows they're men so i'm not sure how many sugar-daddies you're gonna get. I also hear PSO2 has lots of costumes and customization if you just wanna play dress up and/or make a nigger fox waifu abomination.

To trick people out of money. Traps have become too popular, so I'm worried those days are long gone. Is there any community still gullible enough to believe I'm an actual girl?

Champions online also has tons of costumes, but its shit, so yeah

I'd argue anything that's excessively pay2win will have lonely faggot whales who'll dump piles of money on you if they actually believe in internet romance, and odds are they will since they're sheltered enough to blow all their money on freemium-tier MMOs. No idea if there's any up-and-coming and therefore far more popular than anything that's still alive now MMOs that'll be whalebait, but i can guarantee you Age of Wushu is made to milk retards out of their dosh and i suspect ANY game made by Snail is going to be a money sinkhole. Probably any chinese MMO, really, and half the korean onces.

Project gorgon suck though