Multiplayer Morrowind Server

I promised you fags a Morrowind server back when tes3mp first came out. I didn't forget it.

I'm working on configs right now, so give me suggestions. I'm thinking about scripting 12 hour shutdowns and deleting the json files for some interior cells so we can have dungeons and some other interiors resetting, and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle quests yet. I want to run this long-term, sort of MMO style, as opposed to a simple co-op server.

I'll also need plugin suggestions. I know there's one that stops the Dark Brotherhood from trying to kill you every time you sleep, but I can't remember the name of it. Post anything else I should add.

One thing to note - I'm pretty sure custom spells and potions are still broken. Nothing I can do there, they're custom objects that only exist clientside; the server has no way to recognize them yet. They did fix infinite loops by hardcapping attributes, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

max99x.com/morrowind/complete-morrowind
mw.modhistory.com/download-53-12114
steamcommunity.com/groups/mwmulti/discussions/0/1470841715936473191/
tamriel-rebuilt.org/
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45430
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/3879
steamcommunity.com/groups/Broventure
mega.nz/#F!dD4mjQaB!h2NHZiJvAMEGU8XCe1hRzQ
en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Morrowind_Code_Patch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I suggest complete morrowind improved:
max99x.com/morrowind/complete-morrowind
It adds crafting and smiting into the game.

Also necessities of morrowind, allows to bake cakes and cook meat on campfires:
mw.modhistory.com/download-53-12114

Is it possible to have bi-weekly custom dungeons on a designated zone?

Possibly? I might be able to set up a script to teleport everyone to a specific location after an announcement, but it's probably better to organize those sorts of things in-game.

I'll look into those and see if they'll work.

DICE ROLL COMBAT

I have no idea how this game works but i'd be willing to try it in MP

if you have played any elder scrolls game you'll understand the premise

Someone make a todd with a bunch of todds for toddposting multiplayer skyrim.

the next generation will go through life thinking Skyrim is a "classic" game and think fondly on a time when internet speeds were only 30mbit

nice
steamcommunity.com/groups/mwmulti/discussions/0/1470841715936473191/

Good shit. I'll start digging through these.

Never played skyrim (with any effort) so eh,only thing i played was oblivion and i didnt really care for it,i'm just down to play some mp

You know, despite everyone is saying about skyrim, not playing it at all doesn't grant you ability to shit on it honestly.

I never claimed it was shit,and it would be foolish for me to judge a game i have never played in depth,but from what i have seen,it is buggier then a motel room in detroit.

But user, it will save your data.

We would need a way to create custom houses/interiors for maximum fun, and disabling training, so skill gains are "legit"

Morrowind Rebirth is a massive content overhaul of Vvardenfell. I heard it's pretty good, but it's not compatible with a lot of content-adding mods. There's Less Generic NPCs, though some anons might get upset over the Telvanni package. Tamriel Rebuilt, Province: Cyrodil, and Skyrim: Home of the Nords all have full releases of specific areas of their respective province, which would probably help with the mmo style you're going for. Uvirith's Legacy is a heavily praised expansion of House Telvanni. And please, do not use Darknut's Greater Dwemer Ruins. It's a terrible overhaul of the final dungeons, in my opinion.
For quality of life stuff, Run Faster is popular. You have the Patch Project, but I have no idea how much of that is fixed in OpenMW by default. As you mentioned, there's DelayedDBAttack to stop the Dark Brotherhood from immediately going after you, and Solstheim Rumors Fix stops people from immediately telling you to go to Khuul, which normally overwrites any vanilla rumors pointing you towards local quests.
As far as city overhauls go, the nicest I've seen is City of Balmora, which actually overhauls many Hlaalu cities. Unfortunately, it's a bit performance heavy.
Morrowind Uncut adds a bunch of planned or early version content that never didn't make it in the final release. The Publicans adds inn functionality to a bunch of businesses that are set up like inns, but don't have the option to rent a room. Bloodwind is a recent mod that adds an enormous dungeon, with its own quests and npcs. I forget exactly what it's called, but there's a mod that allows you to join the cult of Sheogorath, which might strike some anons' fancy.
And, of course, there's always the official plugins distributed by Bethesda. I think some of them have issues, though, which means you'll have to find fixed versions somewhere.
As a personal request, you could add in Aetherium Forging. I love me some power armor.
This is just a very small portion of all the good mods available. Honestly, you probably shouldn't start out with too many. As the vanilla content starts getting stale, you can add some more.
As an additional aside, how are you going to do player owned housing? Aside from Great House fortresses, you don't really explicitly get any in the vanilla game, Tribunal doesn't have any, as well, and Bloodmoon only gives you one as a reward for one of the Raven Rock quest branches. There's a bunch of house mods, of course, but I have no idea how'd you make those work well. Players relying on killing someone and taking their house will just result in cities devoid of their populations.

Oh, and, if you can find one, add a mod that makes the House of Earthly Delights a great hangout spot. It's pretty barebones, as it is.

we just need textures of your mom for that nord stripper xd!

The problem is you can't be a spell caster yet or an alchemist because it's not synching yet and will either be in the next patch or in .7

I'd hold off

It saves data, just not custom potions or enchantments AFAIK custom spells are saved so my fellow wizards can travel around with a jump 100 pts spell and a levitate for 1 second on self to cushion the fall all at apprentice level skills.
I'm pretty sure its still in dev and kinks will be ironed out.

Yo I thought spells were synched already. I could've sworn I saw someone use a custom spell

They don't save. Once that guy quit, all his custom spells were lost.

You can make spells but once that player logs out they lose it from what I'm aware of.

Well, I'll leave that up to you guys. If you want me to hold off until things are better - and bear in mind that it could be months - I will.

But in the meantime, since a lot of things will stay the same as far as data files and configs, I want to work out as much as I can. A modpack will be a must, I can host that on the same server and just link it in future OPs - I'm on a gigabit connection.

If anyone has any actual skill with MW modding, I'd love to work out some proper, permanent player housing, as well as chests for stashing your gear in. I'm guessing this will require some LUA scripting serverside.

Another thing to ponder is graphics mods. They'll work, but I think they need to be the same for everyone, so we might just want some higher resolution textures.

I could see Tamriel Rebuilt, for the extra landmass. It'll take even more work to get housing functioning, though, unless we wanted to limit it to the major Vvardenfell cities only.

I'm not sure how performance will be affected on the server by these mods. I've got 10 cores/20 threads and 64gb RAM allocated to the box (although it's also running an EYE server).

I'll start going through the others. However, I'd like to have any mods we add be added up front - for the sake of consistency, I don't want more going in after the server has properly started.

I was more worried for clients than for the server. Town overhauls tend to add an awful lot of objects in a condensed area, and City of Balmora is no exception. If someone is running on a toaster, they may not be able to handle it.

Most graphics mods are purely client side, as they're just mesh/texture replacers. As long as they don't include an esp, clients don't need the same graphics mods as the server. Hell, the server probably shouldn't have any pure replacers, as they won't show up for any clients.

Both of those can be super script heavy, which can cause problems.

Bumping cuz I hope this still exists in a while when I get my gaming laptop.

Open morrowind can handle big cities as long as your computer not an actual toaster.

I want to run it on my toaster though

I'd rather play vanilla. We'd all need the same mods, they'd all have to be able to work with OpenMW and there's just too many factors.

see

6.3 has some hints of big updates. and they're saying SOON to that.

Its not even about mods to be honest. Its about making it fun, interesting to progress and explore together, so people stop shitposting in balmora.

fuck those people then.

The world itself is interesting. I played a bit ago with some friends and we made a run where I was a orc merchant named Weinstein that needed to deliver a cup to dagon fel. Being a skinflint I refused to take ships and instead would walk. my guards were friend A playing as a "kobold" (just a argonian he made small by setting scale and having us do the same so the size synched) and Friend B was a redguard named Jamal, Jamal was a literal tribal, only had a skirt, no armor up top and only used a silver spear.

the faggots who treat it like a chat room you should just kick honestly

awwww yeeeeeee

You sure?
Last time I tried it, OpenMW reliably had terrible performance. It's forgivable considering they're still working on feature parity with the old engine, but the optimization of a finished build would be nice to have.

t. Vishera owner

One issue is that a lot of people already know a lot of Morrowind. For veteran Morrowind players, it would just be exploring ground they already had explored a dozen times. That's why I suggest Rebirth and/or the province mods. Those add a load of new content that even a lot of vets won't be familiar with, so there's that joy of discovery for everyone, instead of just the people who haven't played the game before.

Sounds fucking fantastic. The biggest problem i have with morrowind is that it slaps your ass with molag bal just fucking standing there on a bridge for one of the early quests. I didn't even have a full seoarmour and suddenly they expect me to beat the bone lord in open combat while being harassed by cliff racers.
Wandering around with the intention of getting immersed is great but you've got to commit to it. Would clientside mods work on this thing? For the most part i just want to bring the draw distance to near infinite but maybe some other graphics mods too.

How much room is there for custom dming in this? Event bosses would be pretty rad if hostfag can edit a dungeon to get some unique group raid instead of just teleporting us to a vanilla one. I do like the idea of resetting the files for dungeons periodically to stop the world being cleansed of low level life for late comers.

I might get in touch with the devs. They should add a feature that lets clients download mods from the server, blacklisting the official game files to avoid copyright issues.

Keep in mind that most people who will be playing this are Morrowind vets. We will run out of shit to do. And like I said, I want to run this like an MMO. Morrowind is an amazing platform for this because it's an RPG first and foremost - something that MMOs simply aren't, especially these days. If you tack on a few bog-standard MMO features such as housing and guilds, it'll be perfect. A quest system rewrite would be excellent, but far too labor-intensive for anything but a really coordinated effort.

Edited dungeon would require a mod for that new area.

What if you could set up a server mod repository that we could sync up with our own folders so that when you do decide to add new shit we can just click a single unchanging button instead of having to grab link spaghetti to be able to play? I would want to avoid the clusterfuck that is sven co-op if you went with the biweekly updates.

Old hostfag here, I hosted easily for 24 people back then (ran on HDD with 4gigs of ram) and a 30/5 mbit connection.
We ran the mods on pic related and that was mostly enough for us to enjoy the serb.
I still have my old BattleRoyal script if the new host wants it.

i use a toaster though, i want to run it

their focus is getting MP working and synching in all aspects.

I typically just wander aroudn seda neeyn and kill mudcrabs. As for DMing host could use commands to spawn things and enemies in locations as well as loot

Settle on the mods and create a mod pack bundled with the client.

What does the script do? And are you capable of scripting?

I've been poking around the .lua files and I'm pretty nicely lost

The short time we had a serb up it was ok. It had just released then so it was kinda buggy. I know a lot of people when they hear about multiplayer morrowind they say :"So does the server shut down when someone beats the game?" The answer is no. Also the minute someone remembers or looks up how to dupe items, it just becomes a sandbox. Not like it wasn't one to begin with.

I can only get so hard.

are you that autist who abandoned the server after a week?

Well, this is a obvious one, though it isn't complete: tamriel-rebuilt.org/

These are worth looking into as well
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45430
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45384
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/36873
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140
nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/3879

Well fuck, the Optimization Patch doesn't be needed with OpenMW.

reminder that mods for morrowind that require scripting don't work 100% with OpenMW and since MorrowindMP uses OpenMW shit like that might be an issue

Trial server where?

About 9 years ago people were looking forward to this multiplayer mod. The plan was to set up some kind of DnD style quest controlled by a DM. I dunno, maybe the dream is possible now. Here's the ancient group
steamcommunity.com/groups/Broventure

forgot to mention, obviously this was back on 4/v/

Posting in morrowind thread, is Tamriel Rebuilt worth downloading/installing? Is there anything for player to DO there, instead of just exploring and wandering around beautifully crafted locations/cities?

Is this still going?

There's some good shit in there, but there's not a whole lot of it
Last time I played, the entire city of necrom had like two small side quests
There was one small town/island in telvanni territory that was fucking amazing, but I don't know if they overhauled that with their big rework of the area

IRL shit came out of nowhere and I haven't had time to mess with it much. Hopefully I can today.

You could make it so the quests are not shared but clearable for each person.
Also there are quest collection mods who could work very well on this, I was testing them and they add nice items and questlines.
To make it truly like an mmo you would need a mod that inserts a market into the game to buy and sell goodies, and perhaps make most optional dungeons into "group dungeons" with buffed enemies and rewards.
To top it all off you could make a couple bosses group bosses that require a party to clear, like the dagon brothers, with aoe spells and a shitload of HP.
Give the game some better healing means aswell, for the party that is.

Actually forget the marketplace idea just make it so we can build market stands wherever and let us sell to each other in balmora

The sidequests that were there were great, when they were actually there.

We need AGDG on this ASAP.
Scripters unite.

Do we have a roulette for playthroughs?
I'm currently stuck on what kind of play through to make at the moment.

Shit, that's a good idea. I'll make a post over there.

It's only a problem if you're a complete scrub.

There is an option to separate the quest logs already, but that only means quests others do won't show up in your journal. Though I think Mal's server has something that allows for this, fuck if I know how to do any of it, though.

I usually never see a need for markets in MMOs but holy shit, half the busywork in this game is finding someone to offload your trash on.

Demo Day's in 2.25 days, so expect most yesdevs to be busy at the moment.

how do npcs work
what happens if someone kills a quedt npc

There is a technical problem with that and it causes desynching

The world is still built around SP and as it is right now doing that makes it so only one person at a time can complete the quest and the first person to have it has it and no one else can have it.

I have looked into this and to getting a server where you start on the boat instead of balmora. There are ways but it's buggy

super interested to see if anything will ever come of this

Which comes first already?

both could have a test server right now and neither do.

Couldn't you just add a location like a dungeoneering guild or something where players can enter such dungeons?

I'd love to have a Morrowind banquet with anons, so much potential for online, and an actual RP. I'm a 3d artist and could totally make a cusom Holla Forums tileset for something like this, as long as you fags can come up with some good ideas.

There also exists a bunch of bullshit standing in the way of making this cool

MMOs suck.

Oh yeah, also there's a retarded problem with Open-CS not allowing for snapping or fine placement which would make building a castle fucking hell within the CS, and I certainly don't want to ride on the original buggy as fuck CS.

I played on some multiplayer servers, and I found that vanilla ones were the best.
Many mods don't work properly with openMW or in multiplayer.
Maybe Tamriel Rebuilt as it's nearing vanilla quality.
But I think it's best for the server to be as lightly modded as possible.
However, some scripts like respawning npcs and dungeons would be great.
They have some on Mal's Vanilla but the scripts are closed source.
Don't fall for the Rebirth meme, it's shit.

Anything that is script heavy has issues with OpenMW.

People think OpenMW is just a addon for MW itself but is sort of like a engine extension and rewrite so a lot of mods don't work with it.

At best I'd say keep it vanilla and whatnot

So you guys playing this now or is this more about planning on what to do?

Right now MWMP doesn't synch spells and custom potions. Spells don't save between sessions and once a player logs out those spells and the time and money spent on them are gone. Custom potions won't appear for any other player.

So yeah supposedly .6.3 will have a fix for them or .7 which is in the future of the mod's life.

At least for now. Once the MWMP devs add integrated mod support, I'd say go nuts, but for now it's gonna be a huge hassle for everyone involved every time there's a change.

Anyone remember the Server with an NPC called Default Ur that would start embed related song?

i still have it on my data files

Me too. I forgot to disable it last time I played, so imagine my surprise when I got to Balmora.

do we still have the bug where if a person finished the final quest his inventory would get wiped?

isnt that the admin that abandoned his server after people begged him not to?

Yeah

I dunno about begging him not to, but he sure abandoned it.

im the developer of the mod and i added a sheogorath themed dungeon of memes (and bugfixes for online). but im not sure if this server is worth my blessing.

nice trips. and yes he is the eternal betrayer

How would I even get into this? Would I have to use some dogshit scripting language like lua?

i would love to play with ya anons

Morrowind is all lua but it is well documented and easy to handle

never forget Default Ur the true faggot

It's not worth anyone's time really

Ah the gang rape of Dagoth Ur. Now that is how you honour the sixth house and the tribe unmourned.

Why don't you go play singleplayer faggot

SO WHERE IS THE SERB IF YOU'RE SO GREAT?

Well, no. User plugins use scripts the exact same way that the base game plugins use scripts. It's not like there's more than one scripting system to go around.

so when is serb gonna be on?

Default Ur the ultimate betrayer here, if this nibba isn't gonna host then I might put a server online. This time more stable since I won't be hosting from my desktop :^)
Post mods you want.
also, increasing difficulty for each character level is easy enough to implement.

then do it faggot, i honestly don't care about the mods that much i just want to play with anons as it is

Yeah, just get it up. It's been too long.

I'm one of the fags who was around at the time. I tried to create a new server after the first went down, but couldn't do so because of living in third world Burgerland.

I put together a MEGA link which has all of the Official Plugins, which we should be using, along with three custom plugins:
mega.nz/#F!dD4mjQaB!h2NHZiJvAMEGU8XCe1hRzQ

The ReadMe for the "Custom Mods" gives more information, but in short, the fixes are:
-> Adds an activator to receive stat-based starting equipment.
-> Changes ingredients to broaden the range of potions.
-> Changes ingredients to make super-potions require a bit of hunting.
-> Modifies the Fake Wraithguard script.
-> Slightly toughens up NPCs with the "Transport" and "Guild Guide" classes

-> Fixes the issues of the Census Office in MP.
-> Nobody is Nerevarine.
-> You can still join the Blades.

MPPlugin
-> Raises the difficult of artifact-associated enemies
-> Makes it harder to get 100% Reflect.

The first two worked absolutely perfectly from all of my bug-testing, but the third had a few occasional issues with spawning. I was going to keep working at it, but the server was already down for a few weeks, and the TES3MP disagreement didn't give a shit about plugins and only wanted to accomplish everything via Lua scripts. I'd also changed my focus to designing a Starter Dungeon, which I ended up putting on the wayside after I realized it was pointless. It was looking pretty good, though; I managed to figure out a way to fuck with the scripts and turn all of the intelligent monsters into "talking combatants" like in Battlespire.

You want the key? I hid it somewhere dark, near my tail.

So when is the server up

I know its a TES thread, but I still wasn't expecting it.

Huh, shit, someone finally got multiplayer working properly? Cool shit.

Has anyone mentioned the Morrowind Code Patch yet? It's a quick and easy way to resolve a lot of Morrowind's bugs and fiddle with some of the more annoying gameplay quirks. Might be worth using if you want a server that will play well.

en.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Morrowind_Code_Patch

Morrowind multiplayer uses OpenMW, no need for the code patch

Is there a server yet?