Cliffhangers in vyda

Holla Forums What are the best and worse examples of cliff hanger endings in video games?

Halo 2.
The Darkness 2.

The darkness 3 will never happen. Can’t have a female antagonist in a western game or have a continuity heavy sequel game. The darkness at most will be rebooted.

Obligatory.

Quake 4's ending is like.. I'm not even sure if it's ending. I'm still waiting for Quake 5, the half-Strogg protagonist was cool.
Vanquish has cliffhanger ending too.
Well, in fact alot of shooters has cliffhanger endings, I dunno why.

Pretty nuch

too bad the story of the hl2 saga had no impact whatsoever because half-life 2 was used a glorified tech demo and every single motherfucking character was a retcon

I'd say Crimson Gem Saga's cliffhanger was fucking awful because the entire ending is full of questions that have next to no answers within the game itself, because the developers were clearly anticipating a follow up to be made that would have the answers. And I don't mean just in the sort of "this is obviously one finished chapter in a bigger set of events" deal, I mean you're stuck just going "Why?" to everything that happens during it. It's a shame because I had enjoyed the first three quarters of the game, only for the fourth to drop the ball so hard. I'm not even sure why Atlus decided to bring it over; they had to have known by that point it wasn't seeing a sequel. And in case someone tries to lay the blame on Japan, the game was actually Korean. A KRPG if you will.

Oh, and beyond the original PSP release, it somehow it saw a phone port for NA as well, just to spread the disappointment around more.

Just as the story has started to escalate, just as the mystery of it all reached its peak, just as Jake got his shit together.

Worst:
Mafia 2
the whole Half-Life 2 Episodes fuckery
nu-Battlefront 2
Why? Short a s fuck, slow as fuck story without a climax point(not counting the clifhanger). The cliffhanger is technically a "fuck you pay for the dlc or dlc tier next game/episode"

Meh:
X-Com 2
X-Com: The Bureau
MGR: Revengeance
Mass Effect 2
Why? Not bad overall since the whole story is closed. It's technically hint the next game (shows a concrete future storyline), but who can care? Few years later they will change the outcome anyway…

Good:
Jedi Knight: Academy (DS Ending)
Mass Effect 1
Early MGS games until Peacewalker…
Why? Story closed, character arcs are closed. The cliffhanger is just a nice and interesting promise, not a concrete storyline.

This exists? I thought the idea in Mass Effect is what happens now that Sovereign is defeated.

There was the ending of Dark Dawn. The conflict set up at the beginning basically was sidelined for another until post-ending.

Cold Steel 1 and 3.

I wish more video games would just go the Soprano's route and end in an abrupt manner just when you think everything might turn out alright. Can you imagine if Tolkien decided to throw out what the reader had come to expect from him and left it ambiguous? Can you imagine the shitshow if Lord of the Rings had the credits roll right as Aragorn charged the Black Gate and that was it?

No happy tearful good ending, no evil prevails bad ending. Just complete uncertainty.

Golden Sun DS
you could tell they wanted to make a sequel but for some reason it fell through
I was incredibly disappointed when I realized the game was over after the huge map of the gameworld had barely been covered

That would be retarded. Why would Bilbo, who was chronicling the events for posterity, leave out the most historically relevant part?

Xenoblade Chronicles X

I have not an image to check these solemn dubs. It's probably one of the saddest way for a franchise to go out, to foreshadow a sequel that will never come to pass.

What book is that

Please no. I would rather an eternal cliffhanger dead series than see how they would butcher and disrespect the games in some shitty cashgrab attempt. Let some things die. Let sleeping dogs lie.

XIII, because it never got resolved

Bulletstorm leaves everything hanging to be resolved in the sequel that never came.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you are going to make a sequel, you should not be pulling any cliffhangers.

True, but I think people who write stories, be it for vidya or movies, do this as a way to force fate.