Amateur Gamedev General ~ /agdg/ + /vm/: Mecha Edition

Resources
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/

Links
>Wiki: 8agdg.wikidot.com/
>Beginner's guide: >>>/agdg/29080

QUARTERLY DEMO DAY SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY 2ND
Polite reminder that the wiki exists, you are encouraged to contribute to it if you can (even if it's just your game page)

Other urls found in this thread:

derekyu.com/
mega.nz/#!ggVSwTKS!KI5xOxq7L4KpBe9xfZqWo2jOrM9ZAa_7ulk8Qz0FXug
8agdg.wikidot.com/red-sky
hastebin.com/inehudayup.cs
medium.com/the-unity-developers-handbook/dont-re-invent-finite-state-machines-how-to-repurpose-unity-s-animator-7c6c421e5785
hastebin.com/oroqavapok.cs
itch.io/jams
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017/feed
gadgetsnow.com/jobs/countries-clamping-down-on-indian-coders/articleshow/58277237.cms
theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/10/behind-the-bad-indian-coder/280636/
hastebin.com/oneyorujel.cs
ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Dune/varso3.mod
winprog.org/tutorial/
nehe.gamedev.net/
khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/specs/gl/glspec10.pdf
archive.is/xBtTO
globalgamejam.org/2018/games/hype-man-slacker-team
stackoverflow.com/questions/538060/proper-use-of-the-idisposable-interface
codeproject.com/Articles/20550/C-Event-Implementation-Fundamentals-Best-Practices
globalgamejam.org/2018/games/hidden-listener
godotengine.org/download/linux
github.com/SFML/SFML/blob/master/src/SFML/Graphics/Sprite.cpp
github.com/SFML/SFML/blob/61cdcd47ca88e0cedb10ac3ef0d3b0907267bb7d/src/SFML/Graphics/RenderTarget.cpp
hastebin.com/avapucetah.cs
8agdg.wikidot.com/programming
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

t. mods

THIRD TIMES THE CHARM, POST PROGRESS

heres progress

working on the fog of war and spawning items and enemies

Come on with this shit.

The other OP admitted to baiting nintendrones, is that not worth a new thread when most of the people will just start shitposting if they don't get their way?

Is that what you would have prefered? Well then I'll do that next time.

chain saw shenanigans the game please

It's a new thread everybody.

No progress to report, been lazy and only implemented a few more already drawn green scribbles.

boss health bar

Well fuck, reposting progress i guess
Tomorrow i finish the head

you're going to run into issues with that butt topo
i tried that topo too, and it sucks ass
use flowing loops that flow like panties (all the way around the butt, thigh, like a pair of panties)
it helps with deformations, subdividing/normal maps/etc

here's it without the topo shown, only demonstrating the deformations + normals, as i'm too lazy to boot up blender and get new pictures w/the topo shown

If added a butt like that it'd be pretty gay, considering his model is male.

I don't know man, sometimes it works just fine

I did that in my previous models, the butt deforms really badly during squats

You've been working on that butt so hard and for so long. You must be a real assaholic

derekyu.com/

wow, so he has like 7 years more of experience than me.

I don't feel like a failure after all.

the faggot didn't make Aquaria 2 so he can go to hell with the rest of them tbh

not really gamedev, but if someone has a trusted download for the neotokyo ost i would appreciate it

I dunno, I was born in 89, so I'm 29.

The reason for that is that when they made Aquaria their company was BitBlot, ran by Alec Holowka and Derek Yu.
Apparently they had an argument, there isnt much info about it other than "they had different ideas about development" so they went on different ways. Derek Yu went on to make his company Mossmouth and Spelunku, while Alec went to InfiniteAmmo and made Offspring Fling, Towerfall and Night In The Woods.

Unlikely that they will ever work together again

Try the share thread.

Alec is a hack tbh

thanks, forgot about it
mega.nz/#!ggVSwTKS!KI5xOxq7L4KpBe9xfZqWo2jOrM9ZAa_7ulk8Qz0FXug

this documentary is neat, pls watch it.

No thanks

OK, now that my ban is up, I will just say that I didn't make the thread with the intent of baiting nintendrones, but I ended up going with it after I saw all of the delicious (you)'s I was getting…

Anyway you are right that, the user base here is a little too sensitive for the groundbreaking meme that I used in my OP, so maybe I am being too ahead of my time. I will post it here but spoilered, now that it is not in the catalog the nintendrones will not find it as easily, just in case anyone is confused about what happened. I hope that's OK,

So do you actually have a game? Or are you just perpetuating stale memes?

that particular model has exaggerated female anatomy, and feminine flowing contours; lending itself to a very feminine look as intended.
as you've probably figured… if u change the anatomy and contours to be more masculine; it'll lend itself to being more masculine.
also it'd be a good idea to work in lower weights around the butt crease deformation loop(s), butt as this user said sometimes it just werks

I found that this approach with good weighting works bretty well for my purposes and desired style.
Though, on second glance that other technique looks more geared towards specifically maintaining volume w/a dedicated bone; though both could perform the same function.

eh, I haven't worked on that model in awhile
been busy with other parts of the game, like jiggle physics is one thing i implemented awhile back after i finished more important things.

(((this bread has now turned into a data mining oven)))

Yeah, I am working on a game engine right now, it's not done yet so it looks a little plain but you can get the idea with this image. I have some finished games, they are not masterpeices or anything, but they are still complete games. 8agdg.wikidot.com/red-sky

And also, a week old meme is not stale, the fact that you are a (1) poster instantly writing a defensive post at the mere sight of the meme is proof that it will continue to be relevant. But, I am not trying to bait people right now or get banned by Mark again, it's just for anyone who missed it, so I won't try and continue this line of posting. I'm just trying to say, if you want it to stop, then you have to make it so that it's not funny for people to post it anymore.

hastebin.com/inehudayup.cs

So SFML doesn't have a nice way to manage input state. You either subscribe to events, or poll the current immediate state of the handler, but you can't eg check between frames.

So what I did was made a BitHelper128 struct that holds several values with bit toggling tricks, and create a KeyboardState, etc object that hides it inside with public polling options, and then a manager that tracks current/previous states so I can check for specific button presses

I am no expert but shouldn't you be using events or something?

Events are the best way to check input because they get buffered and then you can handle them once each frame. Now, of course you could do something like having a separate thread that is essentially a blocking event handler, which would allow you to update input as the game logic executes- which requires you to put your event state into a mutex whenever you want to handle it. The general idea is that having a single-threaded frame that goes:
IO -> Logic -> Graphics is "good enough" since it is usually 60fps and so the next frame is never too far away, but splitting these into three threads is a better solution since it doesn't rely on a high frame rate. But I/O on a seperate thread is faster, even though I personally think that unless you are running a game at 10fps it's a bit excessive and only shaves off a few ms.

Any of you have luck with a node/behavior editor/state machine? I haven't been able to find a good free one for unity, and with the serilization in unity I haven't been able to make my own, and I've found some frameworks for node editors but they don't support behavior states mostly just calculations, and I can't find any tutorials.

they released the .flac version on their moddb page.

how do I become make geme?

First you become to learn programming.

And after you learn you make few text-based games first, then start making copies of simple 2D games with your own code and at last you make your own game or try to understand 3D graphics.

What the fug. Anyway here's a lazy demo of what I've been up to: basic server/client testing stuff with both LAN and internet connections, added a chat system which is also used for printing errors, all of the menus except keybinding are hooked up and working, made new sixteen camera template in C4D and did a new placeholder to test it.

I also started sketching up some ideas and thought it would be fun to go MAXIMUM EDGE with something inspired by cenobites and Nihei's characters. Even an edgy reload animation where you drive the nail out from the palm of your hand to then have it levitate between hands. I doubt I'll have any art at all for demo day but it'll keep me motivated for afterwards. Kinda dreading having to start on music and sound effects though.

Is Runge-Kutta integration for a 2D platformer overkill?

edge is always fun tbh

hello
awesome stuff
both the multiplayer functionality and art

Usually, yeah it is. For a platformer you want predictable physics and make them easy-to-tweak, not make them realistic. It might be worth it if you did realistic spring and rope simulation or something, or physics interactions. But for Jumpyman9001DX: The Game you probably just want a nice parabola for things that go up and then fall down, where normal euler stuff isn't going to break.

medium.com/the-unity-developers-handbook/dont-re-invent-finite-state-machines-how-to-repurpose-unity-s-animator-7c6c421e5785

I'm averse to coding in a hard finite state machine, but this page goes over some things I've used before. The only thing you need to be wary of is transition timing with the default animator, and the default animator being generally fucky.

I have Bolt and NodeCanvas but it's taken me more time to find a good use case for them than it has to just bang out behavior scripts.

If the code in the article goes tits-up, here's the script that I typically inherit from: hastebin.com/oroqavapok.cs

In this case you can axe all references to AnimatorBrain, it's just a catch-all class you might use in your project to call some methods on.

Very nice.

How many angles your sprites have ?

Thanks!

Sixteen right now. Player sprites will be modeled and prerendered so that number is flexible. I might end up with a sprite sheet per direction if I've got lots of animation frames.

Getting a lot of them late nineties vibes from your drawings. Comfy to say the least.

you dudes should consider donating to Archive.org

Finding this really surprised me

That was actually a really cool documentary. I've actually been asking myself that question for years, as in how the fuck to keep a secret in games nowadays. I really liked the communal notebook thing with Tower of Druaga as an example, DaS' message system definitely feels like an integration or continuation of that. Considering everyone can look up shit on a wiki nowadays that kind of implementation goes a long way to make it a little bit more interesting and obscure secrets a little. Maybe they could've touched on story secrets as well, but that might be a whole different topic.
Also Jon Blowjob seems a lot less obnoxious than I remember him being. He's pretty knowledgeable in those interviews.

Thanks for linking this, user.

Lookin' good. We need more unapologetically edgy games.

Blowhard usually manages to make himself look good during documentaries, it's when he's live and/or in person that he's an insufferable cunt. Much like Phil Fish, even he managed to look like the good guy in that one big indie dev documentary, and we all know what he's like.
Unlike Fish he does have more actual gamedev knowledge, though. You're right about that part.

To be fair, I can look past someone being an asshole as a person. What bothered me about Fish was his scummy practices and dishonesty towards his fans and people he's worked with, like the nepotism and blackmail shit he did. Blow on the other hand just seems like a stuck up fag, from everything I know of him he doesn't seem like an actually hostile and dangerous person like Fish.

Blow is simply an opinionated guy, there's nothing in his lectures I see him as bragging or other shit.

dunno where the cunt meme comes from, he simply seems to have strong opinions about videogames because he thinks they're art.

people also tend to say Linux is a cunt because anyone who isn't a beta pussy is an asshole acording to normies.

why is it lagging so much?

Scriptkiddies on imageboards love to shit on programmers who have decades of experience.

for fuck sake /gamedev shitposting general/

that is pretty hot dawg, which dev are you?
this actually reminded me on some reference pic I did a long while back

Spoiler your lewds, please.

Have you ever seen a woman's junk up close in real life?
It generally doesn't look like that.

sorry dad

as a matter of fact I have, what do you mean it generally doesn't look like that?
and to be fair, this was just a illustration to someone to demonstrate that his models had the holes too far apart

Yes, I've worked in ob/gyn before, and it usually looks abysmal, so what's wrong with picking an actually decent looking woman and model your stuff based on it?

Very few women look that appealing down there, usually it's a damp and hairy mess.

I want to make a (((free)) mix of an economy-based game and an Elona styled open-ended RPG, is there a good engine for doing that or is RPGMaker the go-to or should I just make my own thing?

It furthers unrealistic vulval beauty standards shitlord

godot

So you'd rather look at damp and hairy roasted beef rather than something idealistic?

Real men like used roastbeef

Dude your art is sick as hell. I really wish I was able to draw things that well. That's one of my biggest regrets is not investing more of my high school time practicing that.

Why not have a scribble right now?
It's never too late to get good. Well, unless you have Parkinson's.

>There have been several clone attempts they where all shit even by AAA standards

what game faggot

Sure but how could I track the difference between a button being pressed and a button being held? What about when the window loses focus and missed the released event? It leads to either mixing events with polling in the first case, or forcing window logic with the input logic, which makes no sense.

If I keep a simple flag state and change it as events are handled, and clear it when the window loses or gains focus, then it should do away with all that

VTMB

I think he just set up the movement of the player and camera to be always exactly one block, which is why it is so annoying to look at.

Doing it for him right now

I definitely do still practice, but I'm just not that good at things beyond low res pixel art scale, I rely on chicken scratching instead of smooth lines and shading when the size gets big. Pic related is some early concept stuff I did when i was getting ideas on paper, you can see what I mean. And I have absolutely gotten better over the last couple years and you can see it in pics of my game from a long time ago vs now, its just wish I had started earlier and that I was better at doing high res stuff.
Also I don't know draw enough when doing designs, like I'll forget to do the backsides and just jump into spriting and I end up making a lot of things up as I go.

Day 1 of godot.

the worst feeling of being totally free for an hour but having none of the latest work on any of your projects

Try dropping the chicken scratch and forcing yourself to make big strokes. Confident lines always look better, even if they're "wrong". The way I learned that was that our teacher simply took away our erasers, which takes some getting used to, but it helped a lot in the long run.
Also do a lot of life drawings, especially of real people. That helps the most. The most important thing for drawing is developing a good understanding of 3 dimensional form and seeing everything in shapes and measuring. There's a few tricks that can help a lot, but as long if you practice at least once a week for a year you'll see results.
That's normal for some artists, I do the same. I find drawing a high res concept first doesn't help me since I'd be simplifying it anyway.

Thanks for the tips. I've read that you should use long strokes and Im a bit better at it noe, but it's kinda hard because my tablet is a wacom Bamboo and it's really small. The drawing area is a good bit smaller than an 8.5x11 but it was really cheap lol and its useful for sprites. ai just gotta keep at it. Fortunately I have someone else doing key art for me though.

I have the same tablet, it's pretty awful to draw on such a small space yeah. If you really want to practice, just buy a cheap big sketchbook. People usually start out drawing too small because they're used to having little space, but it's really counter-intuitive and often leads to unecessary frustration.

well fuck…..

I fell for the godot 3 meme, did the things, first open and the damn thing imports all of my huge unused png library,
next thing is, basically lost half of my settings, plus a huge load of new options and things
whats the fucking deal? is there a migration guide?

There's a reason they're going to perform bug fixes in older versions for a while. you fucked up

(off by 2 lol)

This is why you backup everything every hour of every day

What's a decent Unity-compatible library for online multiplayer? All I really want it to do is allow me to send typed variables and structs between the server and clients, without having to worry about the implementation or unboxing the variables myself.

I'm actually doing git revision, so its not that big of a damage, whats the command to revert everything to last HEAD?

that is exactly why I attempted to go forward, basically they don't really solve the issues on older versions, (saved some minor things instead)
plus all that fuss about all the fucking improvements, that and quality of life stuff like fixes and documentation, but no one really wants to do that

As far as I know, most serious developers stick to the same version of the game engine they started on (barring major fixes for bugs that fuck them over) because they don't want to deal with all that stuff you're complaining about.

Don't change a running system if there is no need to do so.

For those who didn't know yet, Global Game Jam is this weekend. It already started in Jewrope, but apparently we're not allowed to reveal the theme until it starts in Hawaii.
I'm working with a small team of 3 other literal autists, we're testing a few ideas right now.
For those who don't know, GGJ is kinda official with tickets and meatspace locations, which we're at. So I don't think you guys can join "officially" but if you jam out a game you jam out a game, right?

There's pretty good reasons to move to Godot3, but if you want everything to work well you probably will have to migrate manually.

Thank you user. I think gave you better advice than I could've but definitely focus on being able to produce consistent, long strokes so you are better able to produce the lines you want.

yeah I know that, I do remember some big screw ups from big developers when a new Unity came out
I was mostly just checking really gladly everything is fixed thanks to git, in case you're curious

but really, I don't think they are maintaining the old version that well, just that

buying gf

did his game always looked so good?

That's a nice improvement over his previous trailers. Flows much better with the music now.

thanks user
longtime lurker that doesn't post recognizable progress much, and in summation I'm working on a mechanic framework which I'll be building my actual game with; I'm one of the anons with over ambitious plans.
The only other recognizable thing I can think of are the iterations of my voxel/real-time deformation mesh system I was working on for my framework ages ago… u may recognize if you've been lurking the threads since then.

o-oh that's /potential/

Doing the armature tomorrow

I'm actually impressed by how correctly wrong is your model.
every limb is dwarfed to the same scale, if you are the fairy user, i get what you are trying to achieve but you need to tone down the musculature/features to sell the look otherwise it looks like a dwarf

Oh i remember these, vaguely. Good work user

Probably why I stuck with XNA for so long. It was my first real framework and I felt like I owed the game studio I co-oped at, since I was mostly dead weight at the time

Just wait until you see the final result.
The characters are in anime style, the proportions are not 100% realistic

sick drawings, and definitely keep it up.

Neat documentary
thanks for posting it
I definitely vibe with the concept of secrets in vidya being important, and how the landscape has changed in terms of the (current lack of) permanence for said novelty.
Imo that is going to be a perpetual niche, due to it being apart of human nature, and is observably a core driver for human behavior.

I do remember someone who was talking about a paper related to building such a system- that might have been you.

that's what i meant, the character is too realistic for that style

It's a roguelike so there's tile-based movement.

Is the camera set up awkwardly? Do you think increasing the drag margins on it would improve it at all?

question to godot developers out here
first is: is there any of you that actually post in this thread? what you working on?

second is: with scene inheritance, you can pretty much just add whatever you need for that specific instance, but what about scripts, if you need a custom one for more behavior, do they inherit by default?

I'm making a valkyria chronicles clone but usually don't post here
by default they don't but you can make custom nodes that DO inherit
personally i just attach scripts to nodes and treat them like a component system

hatred for my job is the only thing that lets me get any game work done

Both Bolt and NodeCanvas are really what I am looking for but all pirate links are dead for NodeCanvas and Bolt doesn't have any. I really don't want to shill out 80$ for a plugin, and then an additional 80$ for every person I want to help me with the project.

I see bolt 1.2.2 on cgpeers

A side-scrolling shmup.
I haven't actually used scene inheritance, but I might use it if I want to throw in a few things quickly.
As for scripts, not sure what you mean but if you're implying you need to write up a script for every node from scratch, you don't have to.

I see a login screen on cgpeers and no place to register

haha yeah

Registration is open for 48 hours on the 1st and 15th.

interesting, I guess I can inherit from the scene and from the script

on another topic, I'm thinking doing VN alike dialog thing, text appears, you click it goes to another one,
the attributes themselves can be exported, but that would mean each file would only have one page of text at a time
I want to have each custom dialog class holding all of the text need at once, but how can I achieve this smartly?

t. (you), probably

I'm waiting for 3.0 to go stable before I do anything, just to be safe.
Turn-based QWOP 2.0
Dunno, I haven't made anything big with the engine yet so I haven't tested that.

i got embree working again, but the new slower method of sphere intersections is actually less accurate to the point of adding visible shadow acne when far away from spheres. i'll figure it out later.
on top of that, the talos ii production runs are coming in and i've found out that i might need to purchase another $800 dollars worth of stuff to actually use it. yay for going broke to have like, 24 extra threads.

dunno what you mean, you can make sub sub sub nodes with every node having a diferent script.

what I mean is not sub-sub-sub, but inherited scenes
like for example
I'm planning for a base scene to be just that dialog display, with a script for some custom behavior
I'll then populate content by inheriting from that base scene (check scene inheritance),
the new inheriting scene should be able to use the custom behavior from the original script, but I'm wondering if it were to add additional behavior script to that scene specifically

when you make diferent instances of one scene you can attach a diferent script.

maybe you can ask on the godot disagreement about this.

wew lad this is a stupid fucking event

why are you buying cutting edge work stations, user? are you retarded?

This doc was pretty good, but I feel like Dark Souls is kind of shoehorned in there. There's plenty of other games that a community completely changes over time due to accumulated knowledge. Fighting games do this particularly well, finding new combos, techs, and new strats that can completely change the meta of the game. Honestly they should have mentioned Demon's Souls, as the multiplayer component in that game was more subtle and I was still finding cool little secrets with World Tendency changes up to NG++. Also that BotW comment at the end made me chuckle. Apart from the first 10 hours of exploration, the game has no worthwhile secrets for the player that isn't a shrine or korok seed. I can definitely see how people can draw parallels between Zelda I and BotW, but their secrets and exploration really feel completely different.

I feel like I need to play some game that I've never even heard of before. It's been a long while since I've played a game without any outside knowledge or preconception. I miss those feels. Or I could actually dev for once.

After spending 4 hours trying to properly display and scale 15 different models in MonoGame, premade Game Engines seem a lot less shitty.

I'm learning though, I feel like I've picked up a few neat tricks

Oh, like take this for example

Kinda cool

I'm not very well-versed in the nitty gritty of the low-level, technical stuff, but I'm addicted to structs in C++. Do they hold a serious computational cost?

No, they don't. A struct is just a block of data, and then the definition tells you what offsets on that block will let you find it's contents.

Thanks, that's fucking awesome.

Yup, but at least the idiots I'm with are fun to be around and we don't interact with other people because we're literal spergs.
We're just making a game where you're a spy with a magic jamming machine and have to decode and recode messages to basically play an RTS where you're both sides and trying to make one side win without giving away that you're lying to the other side.

I'm making a bullet hell game. I don't know too much about the genre other than Touhou, but for some reason I really want to make one. Any advice? Should I join a support group? I'm gonna make it online

Online bullet hell sounds pretty horrid. Bullet hell relies on pattern memorization.

How would online even work? Multiple people against one enemy?

That's okay, it's co-op. I'm not aiming for good players.

This post speaks to me.

“Let's go."
"We can't."
"Why not?"
"We're waiting for Godot.”

"Rael stands astonished doubting his sight
Struck by beauty, gripped in fright
Three vermilion snakes of female face
The smallest motion, filled with grace"

thanks for that Progression link in the deleted thread

Just a thought: with the patterns pre-programmed, they don't have to be controlled server-side

I know how replication works, I just thought he was talking about a PvP bullet hell

GGJ progress after a few hours:
Made a camera system so you can pan with the mouse within bounds, made some base objects that react to mouse hovering. We're gonna have a table full of machines and paper and shit.
Other programmer is working on the "RTS" part, designer is designing machines and ciphers, and artist is trying to settle on an artstyle now that he's finished making a mockup layout of the screen.

remember, user, make sure your artist suffers

Of course, this is his first time working on a game in the first place so he'll suffer plenty. My team is my roommates, and he's a normal art graduate so obviously his life is suffering in the first place. Suffering and flipped burgers.
But for prototyping I just use my own programmer art, so I have to suffer too.

Play ikaruga.

I played that on the Wii U. Dying a few stages in and starting all the way over got frustrating really fast.

Reminder that the reason amateur is spelled amateur, instead of amature, is because it's not an antonym of mature that refers to being unskilled. Its etymological basis is not in maturus, as in maturity, but in amator, as in lover. If you aren't doing this for love, then you ain't gonna make it.

aminotaur I got ya

Anything I should know about the engine's quirks before I embark on this journey?

You know what's cool?

Depth masks

The entire Unity editor has randomly crashed three times already tonight and it's fucking pissing me off. Goddamn.

you going to depth mask an anus on your dude right?

I've had times where I spent more time in a day waiting for Unreal to reboot than I actually spent writing code.
And since UE4 is slow as molasses and I didn't even have an SSD yet back then, it was hell.

nah, that will be a render texture.

so anuses with your map penises then I get it

First time I've actually made something while trying to dev. Though, all I have really been doing is Frankenstein-ing things together from what I've learned from a bunch of tutorials. It doesn't really feel like I've done much besides tweak the settings, though.
Not much is going on besides what the two screenshots say.

better get some tutorials to learn the basics first on youtube.

and ask on disagreement.

The first thing I always do in an engine is just make pong without reading ANY documentation, to see if I can figure out how the engine works. Once that works I look at documentation and maybe one or two official tutorials.
Video tutorials are cancer.

video tutorials ARE cancer, that user is a retard

How exactly they are cancer?
Asks nodev.

Documentation:
Normal tutorial:
Video tutorial:
Not all of them are THAT bad, but even the best ones are still slow compared to just some fucking text and an image or two where need be

It's code, text is the most natural format for it. You can copy and paste, skim back and forth, and read everything at the speed you want. Video tutorials are 90% fluff, at the least. And you have to listen to some random idiot "UHMM" and "UHHHH" "UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHM" his way through recalling basic information. On top of being poorly made, they're easily outdated (have you ever updated a video?). Because of this, no decent programmer is going to touch them. As a result, they're only aimed at bottom tier shitters, which just continues the downwards spiral.

I'm angry! Angry at videos!

I understand it now, thanks.

probably, but raytracing is embarrassingly parallel(minus saturating the memory controller) so

you're welcome

23718.129203 task-clock (msec) # 4.349 CPUs utilized 43,919 context-switches # 0.002 M/sec 16,563 cpu-migrations # 0.698 K/sec 3,593 page-faults # 0.151 K/sec 87,206,124,841 cycles # 3.677 GHz 54,435,654,580 stalled-cycles-frontend # 62.42% frontend cycles idle 22,637,605,148 stalled-cycles-backend # 25.96% backend cycles idle 98,724,816,411 instructions # 1.13 insns per cycle # 0.55 stalled cycles per insn 8,958,128,425 branches # 377.691 M/sec 29,780,634 branch-misses # 0.33% of all branches 151,560,980 cache-references # 3.659 M/sec 10,847,829 cache-misses # 7.157 % of all cache refs
ugh

That's a weird way to spell CodingMadeEasy or TheNewBoston

I must admit that my code isn't very good.
I think that fucking pajeets write better code than me.

No, they don't, pajeets are subhumans who destroy everything they touch. We build, user, and we do it because it's in our blood.

This took me a really, really long time to make.

Looks like an awesome boss fight.

Really like the mechanics of the fight, but what the fuck is that wave burst at the end? Your bomb?

thanks

I mostly added it to stress test the multiplayer bullshit

this would be mostly correct, except:

they don't have examples, specially in godot, some of documentation isn't even documented

godot has a few good ones, but they're incredibly superficial and starter stuff

godot actually seems to have some official video tutorial with standards, not some random crappy youtuber

I really like the concept

Yeah, I'm not an expert on Godot or its documentation and tutorials. I just meant in general.
Unreal also has official video tutorials, they're still cancer. Videos are just an inherently bad format for programming.

This is true, as is your greentext caricature of them, but I've found that they're still sometimes useful when learning a completely new concept that you don't have a foundation for, because they usually make fewer assumptions about what you know, explain the terms that are being used more thoroughly, and give different examples than the official docs do. Also, in the event you do have to watch a video for whatever reason, setting it to 1.5x or 2x speed makes it vastly more bearable.

that fucking artsy bullshit video, in my country the video manager guy just skipped all of it until the theme was revelad, the crowd clapped
i fucking hate leftys

That's not true. It's bad when it's a video tutorial by some random jackass fucking around with a game engine, but there are great recorded lectures on programming from universities and you can watch professionals stream their work.

at least they know when to clap

i remember that one.

yeah. and real names. Which we will know when you post your game. That's the reason I didn't partake.

godspeed, user not for long.Not the easiest of tasks

Did someone say gamejam?

Video tutorials are only useful for explaining high-level concepts, such as sorting or graph traversal. Even then, it's only really useful as your first or second approach to the topic.

If you're going to shitpost with jams, at least use this link because it's searchable

itch.io/jams

watch as the shitty leftie jam ends up having only shitty, non-game entries and the one celebrating pure girl-on-girl love being fun and successful

That's a funny way to spell disgusting

Oh fuck, it reminds me of when we fucked with Resistjam.
i lost my folder, someone post the racist Donkey Kong picture

it's almost like you want the commies to win

I can't quite bring myself to give enough of a shit. We know Keyreal's actual name as well, no one's bothered him yet.
It's an "RTS", as in there's some manager simulating military battles in the background in realtime. There's no actual objects moving around and shooting at each other, vastly simplifying things.

I like the art style of the soldier.

There was a lewd jam you guys should check out incase you're in the mood for lewd
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2017/feed

Topology -> Apply Subdivision Mod -> Armature
Or
Topology -> Armature -> Apply Subdivision Mod?

I do need to apply the modifier on Blender because i need to export the model to Unity

Oh

so going to dump some of the stuff i've made and some spaghetti text to go along with it.

was thinking of making some World of tanks/ mechwarrior game set in space where small teams go up against each other in a team death match/base defense rounds While piloting small one man spaceships. newtonian physics driving the movement with minimal (if any) piloting assistance. while borrowing & hopefully improving upon mechwarriors weapons slot system. with the parenting of weapons to the ship models. and sliders to shift the variables of the weapon systems.

thoughts?

Look at Minecraft and Quake for better steel like texutres.

So it's just a regular dev cycle then and not a jam.

It's a jam for as long as they think Trump is going to be president. If he gets a second term, they might actually finish something.

With all the other webms it's pretty clear what the function of particular bones is, but what is the purpose of the bones at the laser gun? You intend to have scaleable magazine and barrel?

yes

the idea behind it would be to give weapon varitiy and player controll over the Build they where running while giving a visual que to other players as to what the're up against/ what their teammates are doing while minimixing workload & learning curve for 80 differnt lasors.

carrying this over to other weapons while lasors would have (for now) 2 stats tied to capacitor size and barrel size. so at the cost of weight one could go with a larger capacitor for a larger "Magazine" or a larger barrel to do more damage but drain it faster.

was thinking of going over into more detail for ballistics dealing with caliber & barrel length with fixed magazine sizes (volume so you can pack more smaller shells). with bullet mass over a barrel length modifier to speed to produce a standard Mass x Velocity = damage.

By that point you'd be better off redoing the topo to fit the masculine shape. Male butts are far more different from that. Merely reshaping that feminine topo to be masculine will get you a Hank Hill ass. I'm a big fan of this kind of butt topo for a ~12 year old girl butt because it's good really good maintaining volume with a corrective glute bone and the circular topo gives it the nice sharp wrinkle under the butt cheek near the thigh.

ughh thicker

Armature should be last.

Topology -> mirror -> Armature -> multires mod

I'm not sure about unity but you can try to export a cube with subdiv and see if it applies itself

You forgot the thick indian accent, super loud intro-outros, the constant buzzing sound from the popping microphone and the rec circles from the pointer.

Pajeets sure fucking love Java

these guys will do your job for the fraction of the salary +12 years experience

Most anons are safe from the swarm, as long as they don't get lazy.

Holy fuck.

Well at least he's not teaching web design.

No they won't. Not anymore.

Offshoring to India was a big thing for a while, but the results were so garbage that they just won't do it anymore. Oh sure, they might hire Indian immigrants, but they're getting paid the same high wages as everyone else.

Indian offshore companies are basically just big scams. You'll get fast work done so shitty that it would be legitimately better if they gave you a blank file instead.

Java is apparently used with the Android SDK so that might be a factor.

There was a project manager who made like $120k/year and for like 3 years at a company he paid like $20k per year to pajeets overseas, without telling anyone and basically did absolutely no work himself and made a 6 figure salary

If you're programming in a scripting language or in C# you are fucked. Indians do Java/Python because of the job market, same exact excuse that web devs use. As long as you stick to languages that keep under-performers out like C you can be safe from the third world.

I suspect that it is. I recently had to fuck with my phone's firmware, recovery, and so on, and >90% of the video tutorials for it were recorded by pajeets.

Getting good work done through outsourcing is possible, but unlikely. How many of the people in that crowd do you think are competent?

I've seen code written by Indians who do contract work. Only people who don't know any better hire them.

None of them even have computers in the class, they're just writing things down on notebooks. It's likely that a large amount of them don't even have access to a PC at all.

If you read the list, it mentions "Jquery", "Angular JS 2 & 4", and "HTML/CSS/JS/Bootstrap".

Oh no.

Java is just a huge language everywhere. It's not specific to India.

It's consistently in the top 3 as far as popularity goes.

So one PM (which isn't a programmer by any stretch of the imagination) farmed some work out one time. That's not indicative of a larger issue.

The offshoring craze ended when the results became shit.

gadgetsnow.com/jobs/countries-clamping-down-on-indian-coders/articleshow/58277237.cms

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/10/behind-the-bad-indian-coder/280636/

There's a big culture in India to cheat on university exams, and rote memorization is big. That's also why most college degrees from India are completely worthless in the west.

You save money by outsourcing, but you get shitty work. You can save even more money by firing everyone and stopping the project completely.

While not strictly required, Java is used by the majority of android apps. You can use stuff like Kotlin (which basically just compiles to Java anyways) or Go.

Apple requires you to use their inhouse stuff. I actually like Swift though so it's not a big deal.

Those are popular among indians because they're popular in general. You only have to worry about self taught, garbage "programmers" if you aren't any better. Those people aren't going to steal jobs away from you unless you're complete shit.

Hey w/e works for u user, it seems like a useful method, and good to know that there's a viable alternative if I run into issues with my current approach. In retrospect I must of messed up my weights/bone pivot placement during my attempt at that topo, and now that I think of it; my past notation of strictly sticking to the unity bone hierarchy probably contributed to that topos failure at fulfilling my requirements.

From my standpoint the hank hill effect is easy to avoid, but that's probably because my definition of "reshaping" is a bit thorough.
Without going into too much monotonous detail it involves quick zbrush multi-resolution sculpting of my subdivided mesh (working on all layers with different techniques per LoD) + projection of past sculpts for various body parts. So far I've found it worth the time effort, and the workflow is pretty fast considering all that's gained (low-res has contours/silhouette, high-res is useful for baking your normal maps/AO maps/etc).

I really hope that you aren't in web programming user- they're coming for your job! What will you do when a certified "weapon of durgasoft" is your co-worker?

Web programming is the goto for newbies. Thousands of idiots become "certified" web devs every day.

Like, look at that site. It was made by a man that teaches web programming. It's terrible! Those people are guaranteed to never be hired.

I made a bit of progress but I'm going to go back and redo it before it becomes an unmanageable mess. How do the other code monkeys here singlehandedly do a project without fucking everything up?

Easier to do it singlehandedly than with an entire team of people who are just at retarded as you are.

my code always gets to the point that when I'm ready to work on the actual gameplay, every tiny change or addition is so cumbersome to add that I end up dropping it you're right, though

I don't actually improve at coding so I never feel the need to redo anything.

also… whats up with the womyn?
why did they gangrape her? I heard that commonplace there

is this a threat?
why does he keep mentioning that? that's not an achievement. That's something you actively want to avoid.

I'm going to see how much this bullshit costs.

I feel like I need a throwaway email for my throwaway email

Any artfags looking for a small-medium project to join? I'm the good goy working on the online co-op bullet hell. I'm garbage when it comes to particle effects, and right now all my sprites are squares and circles. I also need help designing the colors in general, since it's already kind of hard to tell the difference between harmless and harmful bullets. I'm also colorblind

Make a black and white bullet hell game.
Contrast is more important than seizure inducing colors anyway.
That'll be $200 in counseling fees.

I'll help you but i'm autistic.

do you take exposure? /me unzips

which botnet dataminer do you use?

what do I do with this?

How do you do it?

if I could get this to stay onscreen, I'd be set

So I made a bouncing bomb weapon that shoots projectiles after bouncing off stuff, but I disliked how poor it was as a direct use weapon because it'd bounce off monsters and go flying away, it was also lacking in big open rooms.

So I made the bombs bounce back at monsters after hitting them, so now it bowls through crowds or angrily butts against tougher monsters til they die, this is fucking hilarious and I'm keeping it

Yo, MoM user here; I am just here to let you all know that the Demo for my game will be releasing tomorrow!

I will most likely try and post it as soon as a new thread is made around the tomorrow time?

wait, is demo day coming up?

any day can be a new thread day if you kill all the other threads

hastebin.com/oneyorujel.cs
pls don't bully

i'm a failure as a programmer and a musician
i don't even know why i try

less self pity, more bing bing wahoo

(checked)
If you had a BSP styled map I would have mistaken it you would be making a mod/map for Unreal Tournament.

Would a faliure get dubs? I think not.

incidentally, why are artists always such degenerate faggots?

Cause people who we'd consider sane or pure don't have expendable income. They're the ones either stuck working dead-end jobs, or if they DO have money, they spend it on starting families. On the other hand, we have absolute wastes of society - commies, furfags, diaperfags and the like - who live either off the government or off of their parents, and since they've never had to pay a bill in their lives, they can use their allowance on their degeneracy. And the artists, God bless them, are simply following the money. It's why there's so much amazing religious-themed art from the past eras as well - the Church had the money for it.

Music was giving off some Deus Ex/Alexander Brandon vibes until the meth-fueled drums kicked in.

That's definitely a Michiel van de Bos influence

it's a song by dune made in 1995
ftp.modland.com/pub/modules/Fasttracker/Dune/varso3.mod

Conflating furries with NEETs and the rich is entirely wrong.

I've always found that to be an amusing yet disheartening thought.
Governments around the globe are subsidizing the creation of fetish porn by proxy, simply through providing the monthly tugboat to autists who either don't know any better or don't care about spending three- and four-figure sums to get a visual representation of their favorite colored animal creature urinating on the favorite colored animal creatures of their internet friends. Nonpartisan autismos see this content and the community surrounding it being lively, and thus get involved. Now there are even more bodies funneling even more money into this self-sustaining system.

I can't tell if it's a comedy, tragedy or an argument for smaller government, but it's something that continues to amuse me.

The furries that pay out the ass to have their characters drawn by a billion different artists tend to have extremely well paying jobs. There's that surgeon who commissions a shitload of Starfox porn, or people like Doug Winger.
It's typically not autism bux that funds it, as you would assume. t. former porn artist

I got this to sync between clients, at least. Hoping to have two bosses/levels ready for Friday, but that depends on other bullshit that I have to waste my time on. I wonder if I could get a few autists online at once to show off the co-op.

oops

What resolution options do you all have? How do you handle resolution menus in general? Is this a good list of resolution options to include, or should I aim for more?

So does fixing the atrocious framerate come later?

i was hoping i would gain fps by making cache accesses continuous, since the renderer was drawing pixels in a way that would not be on the same cache lines, and in the process i broke one of my renderers
behavior before:
draw y=0, x=0, y=1, x=0
behavior after:
draw y=0, x=0, y =0, x=1

Ideally it should be able to work with any resolution you throw at it, no matter how wild. Even if you're just letterboxing to 16:9. A resolution menu should have some common options, for sure, but it should also always support the player's monitor resolution as a possible choice.

Well, I'm making sure it'll work with that, of course, since it's a requirement for both PC Fullscreen and Android resolutions.
I'm just asking about a general selection menu for a windowed resolution.

what're you doing that needs to be designed for both PC and android?

it's that time of the day again

I'm making a game, user.

what do games have to do with android?

The game will have an android port. I'm confused by the question, what's there to not understand?

this is gonna be a long morning

game? android?

It's an RPG, so something that could actually work with the touchscreen controls.

after unity crashed the last time, an object escaped from the game into the editor and I can't access it
help

I think that's good for today

I was thinking of having some more lasers shoot directly down the center of each of the quads, and then the sides shortly after it disappears. Anyone here experienced with bullet hells? It's going to be a bit more casual, than you're used to, since it's multiplayer, but I still want it to be fun

Why is OpenGL 3/4 such piles of shit? I don't want to be forced into C++ to understand the bullshit namespaces. I just want a simple graphics library with a simple language that I can write for the RPI.

Aren't androids like 720p?
Either way, your graphics library of choice should have a method to get supported resolutions, then it's just a matter of selecting one from a generated list.

Since when did OpenGL require C++? Aside from the "GL Mathematics" library that C++ fags use all the time, which, you can easily just write an equivalent API in C.

Any way if you want something simple then just use OpenGL 1/2

If you want a simpler graphics library you're either going to have to follow suggestion or go a level above GL. There are bindings for GL in most every language you would consider using, I don't understand your complaint about C++

I don't have a premade list of resolutions, instead I ask the operating system for one. So like this:
void sys_getdisplaymodes(sys_t *sys){#define compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( prev_mode, dm )( \ (prev_mode.width != dm.dmPelsWidth || \ prev_mode.height != dm.dmPelsHeight) && \ dm.dmBitsPerPel == SYS_DESIRED_BPP && \ dm.dmDisplayFrequency >= SYS_DESIRED_REFRESH)#define convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm,mode )( (vidmode_t){ dm.dmPelsWidth, dm.dmPelsHeight, dm.dmBitsPerPel, dm.dmDisplayFrequency, mode, } ) DEVMODE dm = { .dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE), }; sys->vidmode_count = 0; vidmode_t prev_mode = {0}; for(uint32_t i = 0; EnumDisplaySettings(NULL,i,&dm); i++){ if(compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode(prev_mode,dm)){ sys->vidmode_count++; prev_mode = convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm, 0 ); } } sys->vidmode_list = calloc(1, sys->vidmode_count * sizeof(vidmode_t)); uint32_t vmlist_place = 0; prev_mode = (vidmode_t){0}; for(uint32_t i = 0; EnumDisplaySettings(NULL,i,&dm); i++){ if(compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode(prev_mode,dm)){ prev_mode = convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm, i ); memcpy(sys->vidmode_list + vmlist_place++,&prev_mode,sizeof(vidmode_t)); } }}

Then, I have a list of video modes that I can pick from, which is different for every monitor. That means that I never have to hard code anyone's special snowflake resolution into a big list of resolutions. Also, another downside to using hardcoded resolutions is that you have no guarantee that they will work nice with fullscreen mode. However with this system you can guarantee that they will all work with fullscreen mode. Of course I have to do a separate routine on Linux but it is the same hardware and I get a similar list.

don't talk shit about glm he's a good boy and dindu nuffin wrong

Dungeon walls generate and are displayed properly

I enly the people who are all set for demo day

getting the convex polygons (orange) out of these center points (green) is just:
"find closest point"
"while not closed circle"
"find next closest point that is also adjacent to any already found point"
right? Or there is a smarter way to go about it?

Consider pic related, I've been reading this book without actually starting to code along, I noticed that it uses lots of those fancy C++ "features" and also rely on OOP in an autistic level which worries me since I'm afraid of leaving my bad gamemaker habits just get others.

Does anybody know a start-to-finish game making guide in a low-level language that does not rely too much in OOP? I already know about Handmade Hero but he didn't get to the finish part yet.

He released his first game with 20 tho, If you wanna feel motivated I guess you can remember that Fish STARTED Fez with 23 and it was his first serious game.

Why do you dislike OOP? OOP isn't a bad habit, just maintain an awareness of your data and where your needs for abstraction are so you don't misapply it. If you don't like the features of C++ don't use them, or use C.

>Game dev bot I follow on Twitter reposted this link to (((Reddit)))

I was able to get into making games with these tutorials, none of them are "game making tutorials" but you can put them together:

winprog.org/tutorial/
nehe.gamedev.net/

And, while I didn't have this when I was learning, it's a very well written and good resource:
khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/specs/gl/glspec10.pdf

And, of course I just wrote in C, now I don't really know much about start-to-finish guides but if you can make pong you can make something slightly more complicated, and so on, until you have a complex game. That is what I did.

requesting images mocking tetradev

It's not nice to be so rude, user.

I guess it is habit, Gamemaker has objects but barely works as OOP, objects do not have their own functions nor has any encapsulation, I think the only thing that is similar is inheritance.. somewhat.

You see, the point of my question is that I'm retarded and I learn better when I see people doing it. I know that I can learn the language in one book, design patterns in another, good habits in other one and optimization tips in even another one, but when you follow a guide you are kind of learning everything at the same time and already practicing what you are going to do in your working cycle (In contrast, for example, you could spend a week practicing pointers and get really good at it, but have no idea where the hell you apply then in your engine). If for some reason you don't get one detail or another then you can just consult the specialized books.

Thanks, user, I'm checking this out.

OOP doesn't force you to write bad code, but you do need self imposed rules to not fall into the trap of writing bad code.
Don't use OOP when you don't need to which you can do in C++, thankfully. Utilize component based programming when you can instead of inheritance. If you absolutely must use inheritance don't use more than three levels and try to keep it at one or two.
If you're starting out you should be learning procedural programming because that's how computers actually work, but if you're already relatively experienced in that, or just don't care, you can still write good code using an OOP language.

Fix'd

Do they make you feel better?
The "what coulda been" feel is much worse

he's still going though, isn't he? did that fucker switch engines?

Some of it looks nice, but the truth is that cuhrayzee games are fundamentally shit.

You don't have to come into a thread just to be wrong.

I… I don't know. He posted stuff a month ago or so but it was rather grim

he always worked with some modded version of unity 4.

looks fun to me.

He almost got kicked out of his house, but now he has some more time. He might get kicked out during the summer, though. If that happens there is no chance of seeing the game, although as it is there is almost no chance of it being released. He isn't in a sustainable situation.

why doesn't he, just, like, make game?

Depression and contempt

I'll asume you're simply ignorant and not trying to ruffle a few feathers.

He posted these in 2014. Back then he has supposedly already been working on the thing for 2 years. I don't think that he did anything other than making game and having a mental breakdown since then.

He will finish it.

I pray for that. For both our we deserve the game and his he deserves to be happy sake

It's not ignorance- that's what his situation is.
And, he didn't leave Holla Forums until late 2016 / early 2017.

I'm learning about language parsing as I'm making a text adventure game. It's ironic that commercial text adventures died in 1993 while human language parsers started getting good in 1994.

I'm having so much goddamn trouble changing a trailrenderer material in unity, and can't find ANYTHING online. What the fuck.

for fuck's sake. I was calling 58e313 ignorant.

"why doesn't he, just, like, make game?" is an ignorant question.

sorry

I thought you didn't post here anymore, tetradev

he doesn't, from what I know. I'm just a fan, the stuff I'm posting are scraps gathered from the net. Time for me to fuck off.

I don't know, that sort of process is alien to me. I've followed a few books but it's really self-directed experimentation that grabs me and through which I've learned the most. It's also not really good habits, optimization, and design patterns that make a good game; I'm sure you've enjoyed at least one game in your life that was made through brute force by a complete retard and not known it. Good luck, however you proceed!

keep telling yourself that. used up dirty whores thankfully are not yet the norm.

just assign it a new material via code?
It inherits from renderer, so it's the same procedure.

On the topic of design patterns here's one of my favorite (non-verbatim) quotes:
Though that quote is in the context of someone with quite the breadth and depth to their programming knowledge, and generally means; "use the right tool for job", and not "use only a hammer/nails to build an entire house".

This is a joke though, right? Like a spirit-crushing coincidence?

His stuff looks pretty advanced, for agdg standards.

What do I do if Holla Forums doesn't like my game on demo day?

pick didn't show up

I'm afraid of that

You ignore the stupidity while accepting the constructiveness and move on. Can't put out anything out there if you can't take the heat.

I can't believe people put up with that shit.

Also,

I haven't seen anything about them not clicking on webms or that 3DPD comment, are you just making shit up, user? I lurk and post on both /agdg/s

I'm just glad this one doesn't have the literally insane shitposter, Googum, or Boku. Fuck those people.

I cheaped out and looked at their disagreement server, which probably has a higher concentration of cancer than the regular threads. Honestly can't bring myself to look at cuck/v/ at all: I've looked at it maybe three times since the migration and each time it was somehow shittier than the last. I'm genuinely afraid to see how awful it is now.

That's why, fool. The /agdg/ disagreement server is fucking gutter trash. The actual /agdg/ threads are still retarded at times but otherwise it's comparable to here.
halfchan's Holla Forums is getting worse and worse though.

So uhh… is there an official agdg disagreement?

Fell by my own blade, fair enough.

I really wish people would start using IRC again or use something that isn't proprietary shit if they really want group chats. They're completely useless 99% of the time unless you're working on a group project and need to chat with the team, then everyone and their mother refuses to use anything other than disagreement because muh custom emojis and muh embedded images.

riot.im

The server used to be fine back when it was a steam chat, since the size was relatively small and overseeable. Eventually they moved and the server size blew up, which started attracting the biggest scumbags and mentaly ill dipshits you could imagine. Last I checked 90% of the active people in it would rather argue about PUBG and the morals of veganism and pedophilia rather than post progress.

It's not the platform, it's the people. Although disagreement is pretty fucking shit.

Seriously?

Smug, I would imagine.
We're all gonna make it, boys

Yeah OpenGL doesn't require C++. The functions are all C. You use a utility library to grab the function pointers you need and go from there.

GLM is OK but Sony released their vector math library under a BSD license, and it's SIMD, so very fast when used correctly (structure of arrays format). 3D, 4D, quaternions, of course matrices and all the standard operations, all the standard transforms for 3D & 4D math, C and C++ APIs.

I guess some people like GLM because it's very much like GLSL. But for me, the Sony library is just as easy to use and significantly faster. Also having a C API is pretty nice for people who wish to use C.

I agree, I can't understand the need for any more features than what IRC has for that. Instead of having everything in my IRC client, now I have to have:

Is disagreement being filtered again? disagreement

Does anyone have any insight into what might be causing solitary instances of stuttering that are seemingly random in their intervals? The framerate is shown to dip suddenly, then back off into the thousands again.

I have looked at the behaviour of the CPU, Memory and Disks as the stutter happens, and there are no spikes in any of them; the disk barely (fast M.2), if ever, being used, CPU at nothing greater than 2% (Ryzen1600), and Memory peaking at just 38MB (8Gb 2133 DDR4). GPU is a 6GB 1060 also, which I'd wager can't be a bottleneck for anything.

I am using Game Maker v1.41772, so it is all up to date. I'm pretty new to programming, but I've been through what code I have written and there doesn't appear to be anything glaringly wrong at any point. Is this random stuttering symptomatic of anything in particular?

Don't know if it's related, but GMS 1.4 has borked controller support. Specifically, if you try looking for non-Xbox controllers too often, the game stutters like mad if you don't have an actual gamepad plugged in.

Could be garbage collection if GM has that.

I don't even know what that shit is
never talk to anyone there, at most only to set up games
dusty and decrypt, every time I check it got a thousand false flag notifications, its dead jim
I've installed it, but only got a handful of friends using it
nice place to talk and setup games, unfortunately the bigger groups are always utter cancer
this is the only refuge for finding people that are not brainded, unfortunately it is dead most of the time

It's the pinnacle of what Holla Forums's devs can make. I don't think anyone can match that quality, with only Keyreal, Labyrinth, Diablodev, Shinobudev and Enhex coming any close. It's a real shame he left

Silly user. Everyone knows that the code is the documentation.

these people are liars who lie to me

Why do people spend their free time making mobile crap? They didn't grow up with it, and certainly don't feel a fondness for it. bonus points if you bitch about trump on your development account

I think it's because it allows you to completely bypass the first step; coming up with an actually interesting game and designing it. You don't need to like games or give a shit about them, you can just make something and then keep polishing that turd until it has enough satisfying sounds and blinking animations to be somewhat entertaining even if your brain is shut off. At most they might have one gimmick as an idea that they base the game on, though that doesn't necessarily mean they can put that idea to good use and turn it into a good game.

Yeah maybe because it is pointless from a gameplay point of view annoying the player even more by introducing useless mechanic?
Ahh yes the realism argument, I could also argue that it is impossible to have floating cameras which your game uses right now, so how about a first person view instead?

All I can think about is how much of a bitch this must be to control on a touch screen.

Because mobile has the lowest level of entry.

It's easier to make decent looking mobile graphics than it is to make decent looking pixel graphics, touch screens are shit so you don't have to make responsive or engaging gameplay either, literally the only thing you have to do is pretend to be unique. Which is what he's doing.

Mobile games are made by people who think mobile games can be any good, which is people who want to fit in with people who play video games without having actually played any themselves.

good for godot

Maybe it's time to invest in a battery backup. At least I didn't lose more than ten minutes of progress this time.

go for a battery backup, I think the power here destroyed my PSU a while back, conveniently killing all the other parts

I was up to this point unaware that I actually have a 360 controller plugged in to the computer already. Looking into this more, I've come across:

archive.is/xBtTO

wherein it states:
This event will always generate a ds_map in the built-in variable async_load. This ds_map will have an "event_type" key which tells us which type of system event has been triggered, and in this case we want to check for the following:

"gamepad discovered" - A gamepad has been plugged un
"gamepad lost" - A gamepad has been removed

If the event has been either of those types, then an additional key will also be present in the map:

"pad_index" - The index of the gamepad slot which has had the event.

The game in its current state doesn't even have mouse functionality added into it, let alone controller functionality, and I'm under the assumption that unless. But regardless, thanks for the insight, I'll remember that going forward.

According to yoyogames documentation, the only garbage collection at play is lower than user level, hence, and it states that the user would have to do all that manually to avoid memory leaks etc. I just don't really know enough about game maker yet to find out for sure, annoyingly. Thanks anyways, learned a few more things from looking into this.

*and I'm under the assumption that unless a protocol has been implemented like that through an asynchronous system event or whatever, game maker wouldn't be looking for any controller unless directly asked to.

Mumble is alright if you're only in it for voice chats and can host a server, and Tox would be nice if it had persistent group chats. /monster/fags have adopted Matrix because it's open source, lets you embed files like disagreement and has an IRC bridge so IRCfags can use their favourite clients.

I've heard from plenty of people that use Unity that I should be using transform.position to move my character, however if I do this the collision is checked at a different step and my character bobs against walls

Is there any way to fix this easily or do I have create something that stops my character from moving forwards if my movement vector is pointing into a wall?

Isn't Character Controller component's Move() better for this shit? I have been using it for some time now and I didn't have any problem with collisions so far.

I'm not using a character controller, I'm making mine

If you're using the built in physics, you shouldn't be moving the transform at

?

Can anyone tell me why these bright pixels appear where two meshes meet? What is this artifact called? I'm using OpenGL.

You shouldn't be moving the transform at all IF you are using physics and expect physics to react accordingly.

Once you change its transform, its rigidbody still has velocity, angular velocity, and other things you'd need to cancel out every time you do.

You can apply an impulse or find a way to translate your player's desired movement vector into a force you can apply over time.

If you are rolling your own CharacterController instead of extending the existing one and you're not inheriting at least the Move function then you should write something that functions similarly.

Figured out the cause. The artifact disappears when I turn off (forwarded) directional lighting. No solution yet but at least I know what's wrong.

I'm currently moving by changing rb.velocity and it's working well, I've just heard it's not good practice to not use transform.position

asking for spiritual game design advice once again
I figured out how to properly use godot scene inheritance, with exported attributes
it should turn out pretty neat and clean, but once again I fell into the trap to somewhat make everything too dynamic
all attributes are exported and code handles most of the stuff, to the point where I shouldn't even need the original scene, I only would only need the script
this of course makes this un-intuitive which in turn could mean its being counter-productive,
the downside of going too dynamic, is that when you to beak the uniformity you end up needing much more effort than doing it manually

one example of this is the second and third pic
where as many scenes should have one menu element to them, with different attributes, so that constitutes a custom class in my book
I just used separate strings to refer because of the FILE property hint, otherwise StringArrays should work fine
in this setup each entry point directly to the file resource of another main scene, which should be loaded on memory
the script would then fetch, title, icon and info, and insert them on the button's label, icon and tooltip respectively. Would save a hell lot of work
but going out of that specifically use case can make things very complicated, which wouldn't be an issue if doing everything by hand

Any articles on gamedev/programming that are actually good? 99% of the stuff out there is leftist nonsense, entry level garbage, or 3D shader material I have no hope of comphrending

no indians if possible, by the way, I hate them

Godot 3.0 is out

Oh man, time to wait for a more stable release.

>win three awards by votes from other devs

And you get a fourth award for that sweet ID.

link?

globalgamejam.org/2018/games/hype-man-slacker-team

Warning: it is very shitty. We wanted to implement sound effects, scrolling maps, more animation frames, particle effects and feedback for the main mechanic, and power ups. That 12 hour crash bug threw these plans out the window.

The project file is in the zip, so if you load it up in Godot you can see our incompetence firsthand.

That's pretty cringry, user did your contribute that before fucking off

did your artist*

The game them was "transmission". We thought about doing a Gyromite-like game where you send signals to traps and obstacles to help a guy across the level, then someone suggested a relay race kind of game, then we joked about a high five simulator and it became this shitty game about a high five-powered superhero.

This is retarded. YOUR GAME will be unstable for most of its dev period, if Godot is unstable or buggy in one part, just work on something else while you wait for the patch.

I'm working on an FPS in 3.0 rc3 right now and I haven't had a single problem yet.

no competent game developer goes through a major software update without a good reason (like a project breaking bug that has to be fixed).
I'm using unity and every time I run into a major bug of some sort I have to stop and figure out if it's mean or the engine. It's shit.

woo, thanks for sharing! I want to see what you ended up with

WHAT ABOUT THE POLYCODE BINARIES

(checked)
Ha, I just downloaded the third Release Candidate 2 hours ago. Damn.

Took a break from client-server stuff to spend some time giving Zbrush a whirl with making a simple tileable texture. Maybe it will grow on me but feels like I'm fighting the UI most of the time.

Now that brings back memories.

(Checked)
Oh fuck, now I don't have an excuse to not learn it, or to learn UE4 instead.

Good job.

Here are two excellent articles in C# about how to properly use IDisposable, finalizers, and GC, and the second one talks about events and delegates best practices:
stackoverflow.com/questions/538060/proper-use-of-the-idisposable-interface

codeproject.com/Articles/20550/C-Event-Implementation-Fundamentals-Best-Practices

seriously I just realized this

also

did these dudes deliver? I guess they are getting sleep after the ordeal

He was saying he was waiting for Godot 3.0 to be stable to start using Godot. 3.0 rc3 is perfectly usable right now, and the documentation is better than it has ever been, so people starting with Godot (or migrating small projects) should move to 3.0 and start working immediately instead of waiting.

b-b-b-but muh lack of C# variable exporting…!!

I went through the exact same process I quit developing my game after I realized I didn't even like them anymore

Replay one of the last few games you actually enjoyed.

God damn it, Chris.

Evaluate whether or not you've stopped enjoying everything that you normally do. If so, consider taking steps to treat depression, even if you don't think you have it.

If that's the case, why are you on Holla Forums, let alone /agdg/?

globalgamejam.org/2018/games/hidden-listener
All you do is translate card codes to instructions and then back to a code for your allies. It's pretty shit this way.

I'm just one user, the other three aren't anons.
I did wind up sleeping for a long time, yeah. I'd pulled an all-nighter from Saturday on Sunday.

we're all nodevs, I'm just a little ahead of the curve

ah, shoulda said it was you. Your slimes were excellent for a jam game.

The boundaries thing is your fault, Dillon. Probably. I really should have put in a quick particle effect for the high five, though.

not at all, I tried just a few days back with RC3 and importing a project into 3 was broken as shit, plus a lot different things I would need to get used to
there would literally no real reason for to upgrade unless its a missing feature or a breaking bug like user said
serious developers will stick with their toolkit version

Oh yeah, I used name for the ludum dare as well. Wouldn't expect anyone to have bothered remembering my name.
I also might try to fix up the game for demo day, if I have time. Have some shit I should really finish before devving.

what's the lowest conceivable polycount i could get away with without my entire game looking like mechwarrior 2
lighting effects are very close to free(but lights aren't), texturing is also pretty much free

You could get away with having one polygon onto which you project a 2d game.

What's your goal? Polygon count hasn't really been the bottleneck in most games for a long time.

2 polygons, 4 vertices

Just draw your shit to the main render window. Checkmate

in raytracing, higher polycount means more intersection tests, which can bring things to a standstill.

also i meant like in an FPS or something, if i wanted to draw stuff to the screen i'd use glDrawPixels :

That sucks user. I'm still going to try to finish mine because fuck it I can always say I made a game.

That's a good idea user. Maybe I need to go back to stuff I used to like.

Fuck.

This can't be efficient

Just use opengl. It's not hard to do opengl for 2D.

just write directly to the graphic card's vram using assembly, it's not that hard

Is SFML not built on top of OpenGL to begin with? Why would I need that too?

Well for one you'd actually understand why certain things are efficient or not :^)

You're making that raytracer right? Why not do a stress test of how many little cubes you can draw at once?

Just draw the polygons that are on your screen one at a time. What you are doing is so trivial that it doesn't really matter, and batching the entire tilemap into one draw call is possibly slower because of a lack of culling ability.

If In a 2D scene I only need to draw 100 polygons, in a given frame, out of a 1000 polygon level, should I…

yeah i'll do that once the opencl tracer is done(since the cpu ones are _glacial_)

So migrate it manually.

Get used to them.

How about the 100x better documentation?

IT'S HERE
godotengine.org/download/linux

wake me up when the OpenGL 2.1 renderer is done

Right now, I have the textures loaded from a file and put into like 4 Texture objects. I do some math and generate a Rectangle[] for all the texture coordinates for each image/sprite/animation, whatever.

Now when I call Draw(), is it actually pushing the raw data into the graphics card/backbuffer, or is it waiting until I flip the image onto the screen to do it? Basically, I just don't want to update every object's sprite's texture coordinate rectangle every frame. Moreso, since my tiles don't have a sprite associated with them

github.com/SFML/SFML/blob/master/src/SFML/Graphics/Sprite.cpp

Looking at the source code, they basically just treat every sprite as a quad, which is what I expected. So I guess I just need to make my own little helper class that draws a particular texture set at a set of coordinates, then.

void Sprite::draw(RenderTarget& target, RenderStates states) const{ if (m_texture) { states.transform *= getTransform(); states.texture = m_texture; target.draw(m_vertices, 4, TriangleStrip, states); }}

There are multiple ways that you can draw things in OpenGL, and it has a lot to do with what hardware you have and what your drivers are doing under the hood.

I was also looking at the code here:
github.com/SFML/SFML/blob/61cdcd47ca88e0cedb10ac3ef0d3b0907267bb7d/src/SFML/Graphics/RenderTarget.cpp

It looks like they are setting up for a call to glDrawArrays, but then they don't call it, they call "drawPrimitives" which is not an OpenGL function and isn't actually found anywhere else in the code. So, it's unclear what exactly they are doing but it seems like it might just map to glDrawArrays. I can't find on their page what version of OpenGL they support, so I will make another post when I figure that out.

What this means is, it looks like they are passing in every vertex/texture coord/vertex color to the graphics card some frames but maybe not every frame. It's using a lot of functions that I don't recognize like "glCheck" which isn't even in the OpenGL specification. So, a lot of it is vauge.

is importing from 2.1 still broken as hell?
otherwise I'll pass

Also it's important to note that graphics cards have drivers that internally optimize your calls, so for example if I am calling:glBegin(x);glVertex3fv(x);glVertex3fv(x);glVertex3fv(x);glVertex3fv(x);glEnd();
Every single frame, it can do an optimization where it only passes the values into the GPU's memory once, and then the driver can store a copy of those values and compare them to future draw calls. If it sees that you made a draw call with the exact same vertices as a cached copy, it will just tell the GPU to execute the saved draw call and it won't waste time transferring those vertices into the GPU. This is obviously not perfect but you can see that even by executing calls in such a way that would copy the values into the GPU memory every single frame, your calls are being optimized and so the performance hit is not as bad as you would think. And of course, there are a lot of other optimizations that your drivers can and will do.

Yeah, importing from 2.1 is still pretty bad

Okay, so what I'll do is just make my own SpriteBatch class that works on a per-texture basis with no sorting, just keep it light and simple and treat it as an interface to build a collection of Vertex for drawing (sort of how it worked in XNA)

I remember used I first started using C#/XNA I managed to make a space invaders clone lag on a modern computer

I worked with others in a local dev studio back in 2009, 2010 or so, and still haven't made a fucking game or demo.

Soon

I want to release a demo Friday, but I'm busy with nonsense obligations. Maybe I could do a single level/boss. That's like a full minute of gameplay!

Bittersweet motivation:
There are walking simulators with less gameplay than that.

(checked)
If it makes you feel better, all I'm releasing is a single 2 player hotseat vs mode thing. I don't even have the AI set up to play it singleplayer and probably wont by demo day.

thanks
How many people usually show up to download our viruses? Mine has online co-op and I wanted to get a few people playing it simultaneously

This is some of the ugliest code I've written, but it works.
hastebin.com/avapucetah.cs

Basically, I pass in a few key parts that a Sprite "just so happens" to have in SFML, but also made it generic enough to accept any valid arguments. It copies them into a vertex buffer for later use, to take advantage of fewer draw calls.

Not sure, but I think we had about 1 actual demo, 1 passable demo, and 4 or so half-baked sort of proof of concepts last time. Reception was mild.

Nevermind, I'm retarded.
While that code works, I can basically just make it as an extension method to VertexArray which basically does exactly what I'm implementing.

Is it still missing occlusion culling or whatever it's called? The thing people were talking about last thred where it renders off-screen objects that needlessly consume resources Because I don't care to use it until they get that figured out.

Just get used to the different things. Chances are they'll improve workflow in the long run.

What kind of game are you making? You may or may not require occlusion culling in your game based on what it is.

Ayy

No, it has basic occlusion culling right now, and they're going to update it to a more advanced/modern culling algorithm in 3.1.

Today it's a mistake. Tomorrow it's a trippy secret level.

Godot Engine 3.0 is out.

We know

Woo, finally can teleport between maps.
Maybe I'll actually let you guys ravage my server come demo day.

for fucks sake

Anyway, I revamped some parts of the programming page in the wiki and tried to make it more coherent, and added short descriptions of different languages. Feel free to fix any retarded shit I wrote.
8agdg.wikidot.com/programming

Check out PixaTool by Kronbits. I've seen people use it to make Quake-esque textures, maybe you'd have use for it. Although it does cost like $20 and I don't know where you could steal it.

A few in that list of 5 aren't even 8ch exclusive.
Tbh tetrachrome dev was the most impressive dev here and he's gone because of a few assholes
The rest of us don't have all the combined skills to release a polished game, doing enginedev, or can't stop being nodev.

bampino

(Checked)
Same. I'm currently debating whether or not I release nothing, or a demo that's just a one minute cutscene and a one minute battle.

Man, I like tetradev and wish he would come back, but it's not like he just got randomly bullied and didn't have a hand in what happened himself.

Might be useful, my memory's telling me that Photoshop's indexed colour palette is a pain in the ass to work with.

Neat additions. Anyone else looking forward to trying Jai?

that's the point where its useless overwork without any benefit coming from it
if a serious a developer already has a workflow and is already in the production state, there would absolutely 0 reasons to upgrade

I've talked about this earlier, better documentation isn't a different feature set, they should have improved on 2 earlier and ported to 3
most things would still work the same on 3 as they did in 2, and most thing lacking documentation on 2 would probably be still lacking in 3, so I just call that a project management error
besides that, you don't the documentation when you already know most of the things you're already working on

NEW BREAD

NEW BREAD

What the fuck