Video Game Preservation

You can buy an old book and read it the same way that a reader could when it was released.
You can buy an old movie and watch it the same way that a viewer could when it was released.
There are libraries made to collect and catalog every book written, but what do you do when you want to play a game only ever released on the PS1? If the stars align then the console, controller and game will all work, but chances are that you have to use an emulator that could be illegal just to play an old classic. This occurred to me when I finished Fable TLC on pc and decided to fins Fable 2 for pc, only to find that it was only released on the Xbox 360. With the Xbox 360's laughably bad hardware problems will it even be possible to play Fable 2 in twenty years? Why are pirates who have been vilified by mainstream media the sole guardians of old games? Can every video game be saved for future generations? Should every video game be saved for future generations? Should the golden, game of the year, platinum, definitive collector's edition be the only one saved?
Even on pc, we might eventually have to switch operating systems when we want to play a different game.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/524
archive.is/TdboM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, not really.

Don't emulators exist for this very reason? There's only so much hardware that can be made.

We live in an age of obsessive archiving people. No video game can truly disappear.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, though I'd say your concerns are not unfounded.

Emulators within in a operating system conjures more input lag than a dedicated system.

Ah, forgot to update my chart!

Source

It's all so tiring.

RetroArch with the correct settings (and depending on what system you are emulating probably) seems to have effectively zero input lag.

forums.libretro.com/t/an-input-lag-investigation/4407/524

You can't figure out the general meaning of words from their context?

no why

Old English is so far away from Modern English that I think that it should be called, "Anglo Saxon" just to avoid confusing the layman.
An untrained English speaker has as good of a chance understanding German.

An untrained English speaker has a far better chance of understanding German, because German is quite close to modern English. It wasn’t until the “Middle English” period that the German influences came over to Britain and starting giving us a fuck-ton of cognates. For the very simple conversational stuff, an English speaker is probably going to be tripped up over the Latin-style sentence structure more than some of the words.

Goddamnit, Holla Forums

Fuck off Nutendo shill.

The stars will have to align ultra hard when people in the future want to play games from the PS3 era or after. A good 70% of the Vita's library is digital only in the west. When Sony eventually decides to discontinue support for the system, it will become impossible to play the majority of its library without emulation or tracking down a Japanese copy of the game.
Another massive issue will be DLC. These days, there are games with so much DLC that it accounts for half or more of the game's content. This DLC often comes with fixes for common, annoying bugs or desperately needed balance adjustments. When support for the system these games are on is discontinued, it will be impossible to get that DLC, and gamers of the future will be stuck with half of a buggy, imbalanced game. Retro gaming 20-30 years from now will be a grim, complicated process of trying to find the one Russian guy who managed to get the DLC packs that will give you access to the full game but packages them with malware.

Did everybody here saved copy of all roms for at least one old console on their external HDD/SSD drive yet?
If not, I recommend to do that.

an english speaker with no knowledge of german or other germanic languages like dutch or swedish has no chance to understand german outside of a few cognates that will make an appearance in maybe one out of thirty words read, at best.
some basic sentences are the exceptions that prove the rule, ie 'ich studiere deutsch' = 'i study german', but 'ich habe beim unterrichten deutsch studiert' = 'i have studied german in lessons'.
and old english is so different because when the french-speaking normans conquered england, they imposed the french language on the upper stratum of english society and a huge influx of words, grammatical structure, and pronunciation resulted from this. for a couple hundred years french and not english was the primary language of the english royalty and nobility.

Wrong. It's written in Early Modern English and is generally agreed to be at roughly an 8th grade reading level. Once you figure out what the difference between thou and you there very many other difference. Old English is the stuff that's actually lost to time. Beowulf is an example.

Are there any current sites/projects for archiving and preserving these things? For the OG Xbox we have everything that was available to download, but what about 360/PS3?

No you retards.

Old English was literally a dialect of old German. The reason it sounds so different today is two important events that happened;
1.) The Norman Conquest of England brought with it the introduction of French Vernacular to English (English became less Germanic and more Latinized)

2.) The "Great Vowel Shift" of the 1600s to 1700s (Words like "Gotham" for example, are no longer pronounced "Goat Home" as was its original pronounciation)

There have been a few instances where I could have sworn that some one speaking German was speaking English with a thick accent, only in very simple sentences of course.
When I got into folk music I slapped myself across the head when I looked at translations of some of the Swedish songs which I liked because of how damn similar the vocabulary and pronunciation were.
This is all because Modern English is the ultimate linguistic mongrel and that's because fucking vikings and some vikings larping as frenchies wouldn't leave poor Harold along

You're missing the point. These texts are still available for modern generations to read and study. If Sony/Microsoft decides to shutdown their servers a massive library becomes completely unobtainable

I've never heard of any such project despite the desperate need for it. In fact, there's been a couple of emulation threads where someone asks if there's a place to download the DLC for a game, and the answer is always no.

If we’re talking about the connection to the old Celtic and Scandinavian dialects, sure.

old english was a branch of old germanic and was mutually intelligible with old norse.

Im going to archive my dick in your ass

lol

Scandinavian is considered one of the North Germanic dialects and is of a different branch than old Engliah. Old English is a branch of West Germanic

probably because it was free a while ago

maybe you could've thought that they were speaking english with a thick accent, but when it comes to actually understanding what they're saying only a few basic words and very basic sentences would be understood, at best.
and swedish is different because swedish grammar is simplified in a way very similar to english; both being dissimilar to german in that respect. many words are common amongst all germanic languages, but with english it's a much smaller amount because of the large amount of latinic words that have crept in. for example: awake (english), erwache (german), vaken (swedish); but compare dictionary (english), woerterbuch (german), ordbok (swedish).

exactly, so many retards ITT confusing old english/anglo-saxon with middle english and onwards. and the retard saying that KJV-era english isn't able to be understood by us today, rofl.

again, old english/anglo-saxon was mutually intelligible with old norse.

There was more than one dialect of Norse as well, including old west Norse which likely was influenced by western Germanic tongues

Always good to have a proper linguist here. Thanks, user.

the divergence of old norse into its' different branches occured after 700ad-ish, and old norse was itself a branch of old germanic.

You're probably not wrong. I never closely studied the development of Norse itself. Thanks for the knowledge user

Many historical linguist believe that certain dialects had rough mutual intelligibility, but I don't think that they were like modern Swedish and Norwegian.
One Old English dialect would say"Wei sind" similar to the Modern German conjugation "Wir sind," but another would say, "Wei erunn" similar to the Old Norse "Wi erum."
I the shift from archaic to Old Norse most of the letters, "s" turned into the letters,"r."
Pardonnez-moi if my spelling isn't perfect. I don't practice most of the languages, and I was only demonstrating a principle.
How the fuck did this turn into a medieval language tread?

There are many autismos with massive collections intended to save video games for histories sake. Personally I have what I need for the rest of my life, you should too. Unless u r a faggot.

Support in the West has been discontinued already, as system manufacturing was stopped in mid-2016 in the USA and Europe. It's still currently thriving in Japan but this means that you have to rely on imports, which suck balls in case you're an europoor

Not to mention the amount of scalpers who take a pleasure with the limited prints from Limited Run Games or japanese VNs (that get bought by westernfags only for trophy speedrunning regardless of the content).

That's in terms of retail, though. I'm talking about Sony dropping support for the system entirely. That means no more Playstation Store access (good bye, western Vita game library) and no access to the PSN to play games online. I hope the retro gamers of the future have friends to do ad hoc with if they want to play games like Freedom Wars or Soul Sacrifice.

Possibly. People have actually converted 360 games to PC games, MS set it up to be fairly easy to do.

The only solution would be changes to copyright law where devs are required to submit the source code of their games to the copyright office for public release once the game goes into public domain, or some otther system to faclitate the preservation and public release of source code.

This will never happen.

I think the biggest issue could be the access to patches/updates from sony servers if they ever go down. Which is why I've been backing up this kind of content (from a couple of my physicals, alongside with the saves) to my computer through qcma, just in case.

Speaking of Soul Sacrifice, I own the asia english version of Delta but cant play the online because of the shitty (region-locked) Online Pass that Sony imposed back then, while I own a jap psn account.

Whether or not you want to admit it, The Patriots were right. Not everything is worth saving, most information is lost to time, as it should be. Why bother saving the most banal graffiti scrawled on the walls, when thousands of years later humans are doing the exact same things right here. Nothing can be learned from that shit. For all the prophecies of doom and disaster through all of history, your average layman has almost always turned out fine, barely aware of society crumbling around him. What you think doesn't fucking matter. You are the NPC. Solidus did everything wrong.

Source??

archive.is/TdboM
Posting a (((kotaku))) article bitching about ebul pirate because it's good for a laugh and i can't be assed to dig through cheeki breeki land for the real deal.

Thats the reason I never trade in my consoles or console games. Even the shit ones I keep.

Fucking hell everytime

This

We are formless. We are the very discipline and morality that Americans invoke so often. How can anyone hope to eliminate us? As long as this nation exists, so will we. Don’t you know that our plans have your interests–not ours–in mind? The mapping of the human genome was completed early this century. As a result, the evolutionary log of the human race lay open to us. We started with genetic engineering, and in the end we succeeded in digitizing life itself. But there are things not covered by genetic information. Human memories, ideas. Culture. History. Genes don’t contain any record of human history. Is it something that should not be passed on? Should that information be left at the mercy of nature? We’ve always kept records of our lives. Through words, pictures, symbols… from tablets to books to tablets again… But not all the information was inherited by later generations. A small percentage of the whole was selected and processed, then passed on. Not unlike genes, really.
But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander… All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context. The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you. Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans. Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims. Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species. Everyone grows up being told the same thing. Be nice to other people… but beat out the competition! You’re special. Believe in yourself and you will succeed. But it’s obvious from the start that only a few can succeed…
You exercise your right to “freedom” and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests to chum and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems. Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds leaking whatever “truth” suits them into the growing cesspool of society. The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. Nobody is invalidated, but nobody is right. Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in “truth.” And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.
We’re trying to stop that from happening. It’s our responsibility as rulers. Just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate the evolution of the species. Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrieve valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations? That’s what it means to create context.

Here's a way to preserve a video game. Throw it in the garbage.

I know of a handful of really obscure PS2 and PS1 titles that can't be find anywhere online.

found*

Like?

There's nothing wrong with that.
It is essential that people archive.
It is the only way that some of us will even achieve immortality.

What ones?

There's a huge difference between OKJV and NKJV

You sincerely disgust me user, you are not preserving with this logic

Cummieburgers?

You're just spewing theoretical hazards. Most emulators have negligible if not zero input lag, especially for anything pre-PS2/GameCube/Xbox gen. There really isn't any reason to not just have your own emulation library if you're interested in preservation at all.

Actually, the best and most reliable way to be immortal is to have children

Shame we're never going to see a decent PC port of it.

Guess there's PS3 emulation in the future for when the remaining 360 & PS3 consoles' physical lifespan ends so they'll never be out of reach but still…

Got everything from the first Odyssey all the way through the N64 and GBA. Those ROMs go on my flash carts.

Almost everything is on The ISO Zone, except Nintendo shit, but you should already have their stuff, if you care to play it at all.

I haven't gotten to the point where I want to archive disc images, as I lack the physical space in my computer case to add a fourth hard drive. I should build a fileserver to handle this kind of stuff, but the need isn't quite there.

Then I’m already dead.

Libretro is cancer and pozzed as fuck.

the most terrifying shit

It's really funny that no one has mentioned discrete logic games considering you can't emulate them and short of simulation or owning original hardware you will never play discrete logic games. This is the first video game format that will go the way of the Dodo.
For reference, I believe the creation of the fighting genre was in 1976 on a discrete logic arcade, one that you will likely never play due to the format. Pic related.
I believe anyone who is serious about archival of the history of video games must focus on preserving this hardware or creating simulations of these games first and foremost.

That's fucking wrong

Because the mainstream media is only interested in profit.

Yes

Yes. Even the bad ones are things to learn from, and may have some merits worth remembering.

The bigger problem is whether anyone will want to play those games.

Any of you lads know how to backup GameCube saves to PC that doesn't involve a Wii? I have no Wii.

Tons of movies from the 20 and 30s are gone forever, and people are scrambling to convert what they can to Digital.
We only recently salvaged important scenes from the movie Metropolis, and theres still plenty of content missing.

It happens much more quickly with videogames, but the same kinds of people who work to preserve those old films are doing so with Vidya.
That's one of the driving motivations behind Cracking the Sega Saturn Firmware since it's the lazers on those systems are starting to wear out.

That was my exact fucking point you tremendous retard. I said we're doing the same thing right here. Nothing here is worth preserving, Just burn the internet to the fucking ground.

SD Media Launcher.

Gotham - goat home
Mind - blown
Gothic - goatic or goat hick?

Thanks, my guy.

Kill yourself.

What's truly worrisome is the fact that every successive console generation takes an exponentially longer amount of time to emulate to a functional extent. We already had reliable emulation software/hardware for the first four generations in the 1990s. Bleemcast existed for the fifth gen before the turn of the Millennium. By the sixth gen, it took several years for a competent set of emulators to come out and only in the past couple have we bordered on perfection. Work on the seventh didn't even begin until earlier this decade and we're barely past the gate as we speak. We're not even thinking about the eighth and probably won't until next decade.

Also this

I think the best thing one can do at this point in time is to create software-based replicas while there are still physical examples around. Then call in the cavalry via this generation's finest electronics experts to see if reverse engineering and obtaining the memes to manufacture new units would be feasible. If not, stick to shells containing the recreated versions and move on to the next machine.

How the fuck does any 40 year old book get in that bad of a state? That thing on the right looks like it would just sag into a pile of nothingness if you so much as prodded it with your finger.

why don't you just chisel bits into rocks? a tried and proven method

saint row 2 its not as wacky as SR3 or 4, it balance out the serious tone and lolsorandumb moment

I thought it was an onion article

There's arguing for the sake of arguing, and then there's this.

Wew lad. How's autism treating you lately?

This is why I keep saying connecting the hardware to the Internet was the worst thing to happen to video games.

The lack of a proper preservation movement for 360/PS3 in CY+3 is despicable. You can't even check the hash (like Redump for older gen games) to see if the dump is good or not, which lead to a lot of games currently available modified in some shape or form. Oh, and good luck searching for PS3 games, for example, without getting either some malware or the game dump itself being incomplete. I can only hope that with Xenia and RPCS3 gaining some traction at least some people would do something about this shit. HDD space is increasing every year, there's no excuse for this travesty.