Years after predicted “death,” game consoles are doing better than ever

archive.fo/1X1sE

Other urls found in this thread:

statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wish I could enjoy vidya then…

This shit always happens.
Back in the NES days experts predicted there was no way japanese consoles could compete in the American market.
Nintendo is constantly declared dead since those days too. The N64 was going to kill it, the GC was going to kill it, the Wii was going to kill it, Wii U, Switch…
When the Wii got popular the predictions were that casual games would get so popular, anything else would be basically extinct.
When the PS3 was new, had no games, and wasn't selling too well quite a few people talked about how that was going to be a huge blow to Sony and it could discourage them form investing more on video games.
More recently journalists were declaring "single purchase" games dead, talking about how big companies could only afford to make games with DLC and micro transactions to stay alive.
Video game industry "experts" are always wrong.

If someone calls themselves an expert, most likely they are not one.

always cracks me up to see retards here repeat this garbage that consoles are in their last generation.

It seems like the best way to make something spring back to life is to declare it dead. Quick, call your favorite game series dead and be sure to proclaim the best developer for the job is on the verge of bankruptcy!

Even if they don't explicitly use the word "expert", if some nobody who doesn't actually work in game development starts talking like he has a big dick and he just KNOWS about how trends are going to go in the next few years it's almost guaranteed that person will get everything wrong.

Does this work the other way around too? I don't see anyone writing about how Bioware is going to die but it's kinda obvious they're on EA's list.

When people said PS3 was the apex of graphics or some shit like that.
It WAS the apex of quality in terms of modern crap though

They plausibly could be, mainly because the diminishing returns on graphics hardware is so great now that there is less and less of a point trying to market new hardware for a new generation.

That explains why 4K is being pushed hard

the sad thing is we didn't even end up getting the PS3 sony planned, and I'm not talking about the retarded boomerang controller. The original plan was to have next generation NEC Power VR hardware instead of the garbage Nvidia GPU many devs declared to have barely used towards the end of the systems lifespan. The Power VR chip was going to be like the leap from the 78000 GTX to the 8800GTX in terms of performance

in terms of performance, current console hardware is mostly underpowered in terms of CPU performance. The next generation is planned to have Ryzen CPU and likely Vega GPU and if you've been following the PC hardware scene you know how tremendous of a leap this will be over several generation old AMD hardware.

I wonder how many of the consoles are doing stealth buttcoin mining while using "inexeperienced devs" as an excuse for "unoptimized" impressions we consumers feel as we eat platefuls of hot steamy shit. Every god damned website is doing it with embeds, and every anti-piracy scheme is doing it too. Couple this with 30% potential performance loss if/when Sonyggers and Nintendrones patch their set-top buttcoin miners.

You realize people have been saying stupid shit like that since the GC/PS2/Xbox generation, right?
There's always room for hardware improvement, if not for better graphics then better performance, or some new technology that doesn't even exist right now. Companies want to sell new consoles so they will keep amking them.

No shit, global console sales are still diminishing and despite having barely any competition Sony still can't get PS2 sales.
statista.com/statistics/276768/global-unit-sales-of-video-game-consoles/

Console is supposed to fail. But, you know, Apple brand sold like hot cake. Winning consumers isn't all about fulfilling their needs. Things just happen out of the blue.

Gaming PC's were expensive to build back then. Nowadays it's getting cheaper.

Uh-huh. These fuckers know what's coming, and they are all preparing for the ass-clench of their lives. Time to slam-dunk this industry in the trash.

I am ok with this.

Lets hope consoles finally die, its been long enough.

If I'm not mistaken, in recent years the supposed impending death of the PC (both as a gaming platform as well as a hardware/software platform in general) was being predicted far more often than a death of gaming consoles.

Things are going down OP, it just isn't happening in a fast and merciful "lets dump all those ET games in the local landfill" and instead has become a slow and torturous process of indignity.

What's the benefit of consoles dying? All the casuals will just move to PC and further cement in Valves monopoly with Steam.

That doesn't disprove the claim. And unless you deny there is a diminishing returns then the validity of the claim only increases with each generation. One look at this gen compared to last makes it pretty obvious things are stagnating.

Financially, sure. In quality? They've been dead for a good 5 years now. It doesn't matter, because the new target audience knows nothing better. It's why crackdowns on ROM sites happen regularly despite the burden of the (((crime))) not being on the sites, but on the users who download the roms without legal entitlement (proof of purchased but misplaced/broken disc/cartridge), and why re-releases, when they happen, are overpriced, dumbed down and/or go completely without advertising or notice. The current year generation has grown on android adgames, MOBAs and flavor of the month twitchbait, and the less of them that realize how fucking horrible they have it compared to what we had growing up, the better. Not bothering with QC, optimization or actually engaging gameplay reduces costs, which makes profit margins and marketing budgets larger.
Outliers do not make the trend and you know it.

Things have gotten so bad that people would rather play and import subpar english (asia) translations instead of dealing with western localizations. Every console (besides the Switch for now) has players forced to pay for online play while constantly pushing online games to justify it. Cross platform play between XB1 and PS4 players is simple yet removed from consumers. Constant updates from Sony where they don't tell the consumer what's changing in their software that could potentially fuck them over and are given no choice to change back. Console devs/publishers STILL prefer graphics over a stable framerate and most games have no "Action Mode" like Nioh to optomize settings to what the player prefers. Controllers are only getting more expensive while having shorter battery life too. And then there's removing backwards compatibility while selling "Remasters" from last gen.

Fighting games and otaku pandering shit are the only reasons I use a console these days. Once they,kill off the Vita, most of my playtime will be dedicated to PC. Things are only going to get worse from here.

If you think about it, any of the "IoT" devices could mine coin (and unless the cryptocurrency bubble bursts in the foreseeable future, most probably will).

While true, what would stop someone like Sony making their own market place? Valve needs some major competition and as scummy as Sony is, it may make them clean uo for a bit.

It doesn't help that the new audience is far more massive and REEEEEEEEEEEEs far worse than any retards previous gens might have had, not to massive, far more willing to spend money on shit they know they'll never play thanks to shit like steam.

That's bullshit and you know it, both Nintendo and Sony have the marketing tools, knowledge, influence and money to make their own clients/games and compete with Steam.
The brand name and novelty alone would make their software sell and their client succeed.
It's either that or every console becoming a Switch, because modern home consoles are fucking cancer.

Many publishers have been trying to make their own market place and have all failed miserably simply because they can't help themselves and put their money before their brains. It would be the same with Sony, who by the way, would die with consoles. A more likely competitor would be Microsoft because they already own the OS for PC gaming, who could do things like. Intentionally put bugs in their system to screw Valve and anyone not on their platform, which is not beneath Microsoft at all. Remember with jews you lose.

This is probably why Valve wanted to move towards Linux, but all their talent is gone now and the new incompetent dipshits riding off the predecessors couldn't pull it off.

Microsoft OWNS the platform steam primarily runs on and even they failed in that regard.

There's always going to be a place for couch gaming, so no shit home consoles and HTPC stuff still sell. What really sucks is how home consoles used to be a place for unusual hardware while this generation is just two x86 PCs and a pretty good ARM tablet with lower level access than Android and funny controllers. I'll still port my shit to the Switch and maybe other consoles for the fun of it but it still sucks that we don't have anything on par with the PS3 or Saturn's weird hardware on the market.

It's the same reason why PS3 sold well, bluray was bundled in. Smart TVs are complete shit with their interface, so people prefer to use those chromecast shits or a console. I know a few people who have a PS4 just for netflix and the other streaming sites because it's "so easy", I don't think they have any games at all

This. All the redditor faggots in here just fail to realize how horrible gaming would become without consoles

At least the markets are going to be flooded with cheap GPUs when the altcoin bubble pops.

Oh wow color me surprised
I fucking hate bitcoin shit and i hope every faggot who bought into it looses their life savings and fucking kill themselves

Wow!

Cheer up, Monero will probably be the next big cryptocurrency and they're most efficiently mined on the power9 meme CPUs Holla Forums loves so much.

I disagree with a few things.

I'd think it'd get better honestly. What more realistically would happen is games that rely heavily on a controller, like 3rd person action games, will die out because companies wont want to limit their market to people with a gamepad.

Consoles inherently lead to less innovation and experimentation, because of limited resources and limited controls. All the resources go into making the game look pretty on shit hardware, and then there's no processor power left for anything else. Thief, Elder Scrolls, Deus Ex are prime examples of game series which where completely handicapped because they where built with consoles in mind. Even minecraft had to be neutered for it's xbox release.

Maybe during the period consoles die out, but if consoles are dead there wont be any console ports because consoles are dead.

Consoles are already going that route and have been for a while.

And yet they don't. Each have their own segment of retard fans and the world population is rising at such a pace that that they can focus their efforts on converting the unitiated instead of grabbing at each other's established audience.
The moment the world population reaches critical mass is the point the so-called vidya crash may happen, and if it does it will be because a lot of shit supporting the vidya industry, like the infrastructure for basic needs, are crashing down from under it.

Because they forced paid online, their service was even worst than Steam, third party publishers would use GFLW and it barely worked properly and Microsoft instead of improving themselves fucked off to the 360 where shit was selling and stayed there while completely abandoning the PC market.

You know what first parties they offered as well?
A disappointing sequel to one of the greatest RTS games and a shitty port of a 3 year old game that was seeing the release of it's sequel that same year exclusively on a console.

Gee, I wonder why it failed

Certainly not worse than it is now after 2007
What rules?
You think Nintendo games wouldn't sell there?
You got mouth breathing retards paying hundreds of dollars just to emulate their shitty games.
One for Ninty and other for Sony, they still get all the money and you're not stuck with their shit hardware.
How is this hard?
The platform with games made with certain peripherals in mind?
The platform with more peripherals than any other?
Last time I checked Steel Battalion sold like shit.
I'd rather have a software lock than a hardware lock.
Call of Duty and FIFA are the best sellers and Sony invests and makes interactive 4/10 movies instead, your argument is shit.
How can they be console ports if there are no consoles?
Do you proofread what you write?
How? All of those besides the 7th Gen fags which dictate a huge portion of both PC and console industry are fucking irrelevant, the fat cunt is about to die soon too.

No shit PC's are no longer the most cost effective option thanks to RAM price fixing the intel/jewvidia monopoly and cryptocucks.

Hello, I am not a (1) and done, in case you were wondering.

This is a God tier post

The "demise" of consoles is bullshit that Valve Jews paid game journos to spout. Remember when Steam boxes where going to replace your consoles?

consoles at least have some worthwhile games
all mobile games are a torrent of utter shit

christ almighty i may be stupid but i'm glad i'm not that retarded.

No
I remember laughing at those pieces of shit though, both the hardware and the Valvecucks.

You don't need to pander to autist memes you know

I was going to say that nobody would have a reason to go to Sony's platform as Valve has a bigger library, bigger sales, etc. Then I remembered that Sony and other console devs do shit like paid exclusivity. I forgot about their army of mindless drones who will shill for them, and probably will bring the console wars to PC despite both services will be free. I forgot about gaming tabloids like reviewtechUSA who feed both sides of the war for views. I forgot about all the unholy marketing jewjitsu that would come to PC.

They're completely different ecosystems, vidya analysts are usually general tech ones and they are the most retarded uneducated pieces of garbage.

Well, not necessarily ports, but sure as fuck all the console-style games would massively outnumber complex games designed for the PC, such as RTS and CRPGs.
Nintendo is pretty autistic about not letting people datamine or pirate their shit, and as for the rest of Japan, their gaming culture is very far from PC gaming, if consoles died i'm sure everyone in japan except companies pandering to the west would go mobile instead.
I'm refering to all the "PC Master Race" faggots who don't have any standards beyond framerate limits and graphics.

This makes me see the article as nothing more then fluff. The Switch alone won't bring sales back to previous levels. All they got now is the PS4 and the Switch. No one cares about XboneX and the 3ds is being phased out.

Corporate cocksuckers are the bane of todays extensively consumerist society.
We've got retards defend certain hardware manufacturers like Intel and companies that hire chink sweatshops to do all the work like Nike.
Fucking snickers wars
I just feel like for myself it would be a better deal if modern home consoles died off because they're literally locked down PCs and their hardware is fucking garbage.

You can buy physical. The digital meme is starting to get ignored the sales of the Switch back this up.

thanks for reminding me that nothing in this world is good

Consoles are dying, but they aren't going to die out anytime soon. Faggots who support them now have been bred since 2007-2011 ish. I mean look at Mark.

You actually want a gatchashit mobile game where you can't even pic which poorly drawn anthropomorphized space ship jpgs you get to take to your dice roll combat session without porking up either real life cash or time? I can sure as shit guarantee you that a new Gradius game probably wouldn't be anything but that.

Holy fuck.

I don't think they even sell physical on the PC anymore or if they do it's extremely rare. It's always an empty box with a code now.

Even worse. They just load a DVD with Steam installation EXE and nothing more.

I mean the current from of consoles you inbred spic.
Good gaming consoles died with the GameCube and Ps2.

It won't move to PC, it will move to smartphone, a massive step down.

The modern PC market and the Console market are almost identical at this point in time.

Because any game with a budget now is designed for cosnoles first PC second and have been since 2007. I think even PC exclusive games might have subconsciously adopted this to.

Piracy serves to counter this kikery well
What's the point of owning a storage unit if it's locked to a single device anyway?

What do you mean? Normalfags are buying digital and subscription based shit by the droves, it keeps increasing while physical is stagnating or decreasing.

I only play on the console, i just am too tired to play on the pc anymore and my back and neck hurt after a while as well.
There's also no game worth playing anyway.

What?

Diablo 3 was the most blatant take at this what with it's extremely limited skillset and almost intentionally shitty always online crap.

Learn how to sit, you fucking idiot.

Why would you reply to such shitty bait?
It's not like sitting on a sofa is any better for your neck and back.

I guess when I said that I was specifically thinking of Stalker: Clear Skies where the entire end of the game was a linear shooter. Now that I think about it there really haven't been too many single player focused PC games that aren't indieshit, which just carbon copy older games and do a bad job of it.

DDR prices are through the roof, and miners are taking all the graphics cards. You used to be able to build a pretty awesome computer for $750. Now you are fucked. Ryzen helps a ton, but with DDR prices like this and graphic cards being so expensive, you're better off buying a PS4 if you just care about multiplats.

Are you mentally retarded?

And now some actual shilling

shameful, but i bought a bloodborne station 4 while i pretty much only use my PC for emulation. but once microsoft phases out windows 7 in a couple years like they said they would, i'm probably going to go to linux and load a vm into windows 7 and continue playing my ps2 emulators.

being a pc gamer is very hard if you dont have steam, and i refuse to install it on my machine. i bought a ps4 and the software is shit, but i dont have to install it onto my PC. its easy to manage, easy to hook up with friends, and i can jump in and out of a game quickly, the games are made with TV in mind so i an play in a relaxed state and dont have to fuck with hud settings. it updates stuff automatically. i just dont play online much except the few games that allow it.

the biggest complaints about consoles are the shit graphics/performance on newer "next gen" games and the pay to play online for most games bullshit. but you know what? what was the last "next gen" game even worth playing that a console would struggle to run? i cant think of any. and i cant play online on pc mostly anyway because i refuse to install steam.

Its half and half now, Early Access has shown how PC games are now pre ports for consoles.

No, you are just fucking retarded.

Holy shit, is this a cuckchan copypasta?

>>I think even PC exclusive games might have subconsciously adopted this to.
You can't even remember a few sentences ago and you're calling people retarded? Also confirmed for not playing clear skies. Aside from the swamp and the new red forest, all the new areas they added where linear as fuck and where clearly a ripoff of dudebro shooters.

What the fuck am I reading?

Console sales only slowed down in 2011-2012 because last gen consoles had been out for 6-7 fucking years at that point. Sales didn't slow down because of a lack of interest, they slowed down because everyone who wanted one, had one.
All the people spouting the death of consoles were shills from various PC/hardware manufacturers or click baiting dregs

Except the Xbone and the WiiU were complete fucking disasters and the PS4 was the only one selling and not that much compared to previous ones despite it's moderate price.

how are mods and piracy coming along for consoles? oh you have to pay for both? AHAHAHA

Who are you even laughing at?

He's laughing at me, I just fucked up my 360 trying to RGH it
JUST

next you'll tell me you think you own the games you buy

Please don't shitpost in my thread.

PS4 and Switch just got hacked. Does no one read wolololololol?

Your thread was shit to begin with. You were practically BEGGING for console wars.

Fuck out of here

On paper, everyone wins! Since 2 out of the 3 major game consoles use the same x86-64 architecture as PCs it means PC releases have been coming significantly sooner from their console releases than previous generations. It means AMD wins because 2/3 consoles use an AMD processor, which gives AMD a leg up in the PC market vs Intel, which means tighter competition. Nvidia also wins because 1/3 of the current gen consoles use what is essentially a general-purpose variant of an Nvidia GPU which also benefits the PC market. Nintendo also has their own great thing going on right now

Everyone wins this gen! So why is it that AAA games feel more shallow than ever?!

I disagree.

But it's not console wars you faggot.
OP is a faggot because he's taking a shitty tech blog, of which consoles are also their bread and butter, at face value despite the exaggeration statement being absolutely true.
It's like asking Gamestop if physical games are seeing growth.
As a whole the console market has shrunk exponencially compared to 6th and 7th Gen.

Game development is so shit because the new blood must first be strained through a million politically correct and financially incorrect filters that anyone who still has the shits left to bother leaves the industry feeling and probably looking like a used tampon.

Games are better than ever, shitlord. We just made them more accessible to the differently-abled. Don't you know gamers are dead? You'd better check your cis white male able-bodied hetero privilege.

advertising budgets and "wider audience" along with a general "i don't care how you get it done just do it" attitude

like what sort of discussion were you hoping for when every thread about something invites people to shit on whatever it's about?

How so?

Is that bitch dead yet?

Both the 6th and 7th gen had the top 2 best selling game consoles of all time, so that's hardly a fair comparison. Overall it appears as though the game console market is stronger than its been in years. Typically a given console generation has maybe 2 juggernauts at most. This gen we see the PS4, Switch, and the 3DS, all sharing the market in harmony. This makes for an overall industry growth. the only loser this gen is Microsoft

Well you're OP. So you're a faggot and your opinions don't matter.

Market performance =/= critical performance

Normalfags like eating shit up. This isn't news. But we still need normalfags to exist to eat this shit up. Normalfags are what allows studios to fund more experimental shit

Then why aren't the big studios making any "experimental shit" anymore? More normalfags in gaming than ever.

Because you don't know where to look. same with music and movies. Experimental shit always has 1/10th the marketing budget as the big box titles.

It only looks like its going down because of the loss of handhelds, but phones have effectively replaced handhelds and those aren't counted. When you look at home consoles the numbers look pretty even.

And that's why normalfags will never buy it, or even know about it until Cucktaku makes an article for them about the "TOP 10 RAD INDIE GAMES YOU MISSED!!!". Saying normalfags help fund more experimental shit is like saying salt helps thirsty people feel more hydrated. No, it doesn't, and you're a fucking retard.

not even just that but experimental = risk = possibly less profits when bottom line is king and any hit to it is unacceptable. games are so inflated that they have to go the safe route because one or two blunders at these budgets that get no sales at all can sink a company

I'm going to go ahead and say exactly 0 people actually buy smartphones with the prospects of playing games. They download games from the crapstore after getting their new iShits. But nobody ever bought a smartphone for games. Smartphones are still first and foremost phones, and too most people they're secondarily internet browsing devices.

Sales of gaming laptops are going up. As well as sales of laptops in general. Which has lead to a net growth in the PC market again

The only diminishing returns is in resolution. We still have shit textures and models and they aren't going away because people think resolution is everything when resolution eats up a lot of GPU processing and memory. Developers sacrifice true graphical fidelity in the form of high vertices and texture memory and as a result you get shit looking games running at not true 4K.

4K is being pushed hard so that video display manufacturers have a new hot ticket item to sell. Developers have less incentive to put as much detail in a 1080p limit (a good limit) because of this. To give you a famous old example, God of War 2 was praised for pushing the limits of the PS2 and looking great in its day. The max resolution of the PS2 acts as a positive constraint, allowing for as much detail to be put into the game.

Basically upping the resolution adds nothing if the models and textures are already so minimal you might as well be magnifying a blurr and waste GPU & graphical memory in the process. Games as a result look mundane because they still haven't pushed the boundaries of a 1080p frame. We should be pushing to make games look consistently like an ENB high-end modded skyrim screenshot but instead we get mundane forgettable graphics.

What kind of retarded statement is that?
If there isn't a console selling as good as those that means that consoles sales have reduced exponencially, that's only obvious and doesn't deter that fact.
Except that 7th Gen had 3 juggernauts and didn't have two massive failures, the Xbox One and the WiiU, the Switch being a 9th gen console

They're not, PS4 is the only one selling well due to barely no competition until the Switch popped up

Not just laptops but hardware as well.
Outside of cryptokikery

OPs post made me realize they probably have the numbers in for 2017.

You can eliminate handhelds just by clicking on the names and when you do it looks like this.

Yes, sales are better last year than the 5 or 6 years before it.
Whether or not that is a bad thing is subjective.

Yet the graph you posted earlier shows PS4 sales going up after the Switch came out.

I didn't say the Switch halted PS4 sales, I said it brought competition.

Then the no competition angle surely isn't why it sold as well as it did.

Because the Switch isn't even a year old and the PS4 is actually cheaper.

Your point?

Didn't they also predict the death of PC gaming? At the same fucking time? Surprise surprise, hack journalists were just trying to get clicks.

who was that "expert" that was consistently always wrong?

Micheal Pachter? The one who got that Pach-Attack series from Gametrailers.

Breaking news.

make good games with optimization?

They push a similar narrative about Physical games. Digital games will continue to get popular but I hate the meme that it will completely take over physical media. Fucking vinyl's are coming back for fucks sake. Physical media in some form is here to stay or will revive itself in some new capacity.

Yeah, look at the Switch, mini carts!

How? The remakes?

Considering that PC is pretty much just for doujins, MMOs, eroge, and Western stuff, it was pretty much guaranteed that consoles were going to keep going. Only an idiot or someone trying to hype up the West as a meaningful player in vidya would claim that shit.

Hiss