I never did get around to playing third generation Pokemon. Which is the best way to experience it, Ruby/Sapphire...

I never did get around to playing third generation Pokemon. Which is the best way to experience it, Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, or the 3DS remakes?

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/hacks/1991/
files.catbox.moe/0elad1.7z
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Emerald's got extra content, fights against both enemy teams, introduced some nifty changes to abilities (Magma Armor and Flame Body's out of combat effect is great if you like breeding things) and include the Battle Frontier if that's your thing, which if memory serves the 3DS remakes don't bother including. Do keep in mind though that third gen was before the Physical/Special split though.

Pick Emerald with some romhack that adds difficulty.

Just play emerald with some QoL improvement romhacks
Pokemon isn't exactly a series worth spending your time into.

Fuck the remakes, they're fucking terrible.
I couldn't even bring myself to beat Alpha Sapphire.

Fair enough, any suggestions? Preferably as a patch that will work on any version of the ROM regardless of language.

The 3DS remakes were awful for me, but it could be related to the fact that I played the originals so much.
Generally speaking however the 3DS remakes really do look like shit and have pretty much no content changes.

I think you might as well play Emerald.

It's funny how Crystal, a generation 2 game, was ahead of generation 3 in terms of animation.

R/S had static sprites, Emerald's idea of animated sprites was just stretching the sprite. Crystal had actual animations where limbs moved and mouths opened.

Gen 3 is the RE4 of the pokemon series. A pale shadow compared to its predecessor.

romhacking.net/hacks/1991/
This one is neat because it cuts down on Nintendo's kikery by allowing you to actually get every pokemon ingame.

play ORAS if you have CFW, otherwise just play Emerald
they're pretty weak entries either way though

see if you can find something that patches in the events, like catching mew
you can actually probably do that yourself with a save modifier, which you'll want anyways for when you reach battle frontier

Elaborate? I don't think they were that different from their predecessor except for having less content (1 region instead of two) but more mechanics (bike tricks, running, planting berries, secret bases…etc)

Hey Medusa.

Emerald is a good entry to the series. ORAS is a massive disappointment.

ORAS does some things much better than Gen 3
It has the split and other enchancements and makes Wally into a worthy rival rather than a joke.

I liked Omega Ruby, I had never played Emerald prior to it though, so it was all a new experience for me.

Better soundtrack by far, though.

Nice try.
Such as?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If anything they made him more of a wimp, in fact I don't recall any improvements to any of the old characters…

Go play it right now

This
But then again every pokemon game, even the new ones, are always missing clear improvements previous titles had

Especially the new ones

Except gen 2 was shit. Gen 3 was a strict upgrade in every way.

Wallace was always a flamboyant fag though.

Gen 2 was the last gen that actually pushed the standards of the games. Gen 3 was an improvement because of better hardware, but it was worse or the same in game design in almost every way

But that was the point of Wally, user. He was shit at Pokémon but he kept trying to beat you to make himself stronger and every time he lost he actually got more and more confident. Wally changes over the course of the game and that final fight with him was the best.

Gen2 was the best; 2 regions, plenty of sidequests, no sentimental bullshit, no handholding. Also the last gen to not add this whole "save the world" and "get the box legendary in a scripted event" shtick.
Did he have pelvic windows to showcase his ass before though?

No, that was gen 4. Gen 2 was terrified of doing anything new (reuse of team rocket), the new pokemon were almost all gen 1 rejects with only a small handful actually being good, had a horrendously bad level curve and kanto was a waste of space because it was so fucking empty. Take off the goggles and try evaluating it objectively.

Emerald 386/ukehack

Hitting a bit of a snag now. Tried downloading both the JP and NA versions of Emerald a couple times now, can't get it to run. Not having problems with anything else, did Emerald have some kind of anti-piracy hoops to jump through?

0/10 poor bait.

Gen 2 is the pinnacle of the franchise. It came out during the peak of the 90's Pokémon craze.

Gen 1 was a prototype, had a lot of bugs/glitches. Gen 2 was perfect and were supposed to be the last games.

Gen 3 isn't terrible. It atleast did the 'reboot' thing better than gen 5 did. But you have to be insane to say it's better than gen 2. People stopped caring about Pokémon when gen 3 came out.

Nigga are you for real? It's more game

If the sequels had actually followed the curve of improvement set by the ambition of Gen 2 we would have fucking masterpieces right now. Gen 3 instead decided to go back to 8 gyms, region size didn't increase, sprite animation disappeared, battle tower disappeared, day and night cycle was removed, instead of an interesting follow up to the team rocket they introduced the "we're the evil team and we want to resurrect this legendary pokemon".

Gen 3 is almost single handedly responsible for pokemon falling into the rut it's been stuck since the early 2000s. It was the first game that introduced a ton of pointless trash, didn't improve on anything but graphics and paved the way for the series to become the rehashed trash it is today.

Nintendo recently cracked down on all major ROM sites, the files you downloaded are probably corrupted so they were not removed. Here's my copy:
files.catbox.moe/0elad1.7z
What emulator btw?

Emuparadise got fucked, yeah, but LoveROMs seemed to be unaffected, and the other Pokemon ROMs I got off there seem to work fine.

Thanks

Visual Boy Advance, no idea if that's the best/worst or what though.

Eh, it does the trick. The most accurate emulator currently is mGBA, but I haven't got time to test it fully yet.
There are others here: emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators

>>>Holla Forums
It came out when when we were dumb kids that were intelligent enough to follow fads but too stupid to think about them.
Good to know you're fair an unbiased.
Why are you bringing up gen 5?
>>>Holla Forums

I don't think you know what "new" means. It was the same gyms you've done before in the same region you've done before with like 2 roadblocks in the entire region that prevent you from doing the gyms in whatever order that provide no challenge or opposition because the game knows there's nowhere to grind because they thought it would be a good idea for wild pokemon to have the same levels they did in gen 1.
Quality is more important than quantity you fucking retard.
Their involvement in gen 2 was them flailing around like headless retards begging for giovanni to come back after he ditched them for being worthless retards. Say what you want about the story in the later games being predictable, but at least they tried something.
The story and single player in general has never mattered at all.

I'll give m a try then, thanks.

I only play games single player though. Hell, other than Pokemon, the only games I play that even have multiplayer to my knowledge are the Monster Hunter titles.

Pick one.

Day/night and timed events
Genders
Shinies
Babies
Pokégear (radio, map, phone)
Berries
Hold-items
Swarms
EXP bar
Animated sprites
Battle Tower
Post-game content (another region, 8 more gyms and an ultimate final battle against Red)
86 new moves
DARK and STEEL types
"Special" split between SP.DEF and SP.ATK
7 new types of Pokéballs
Friendship mechanic
Pokévirus
Bag is properly categorized
Trainers have individual names
Move tutors
Special legendary battle music
Incorporation of legendaries into the plot
Fixed all the major bugs, glitches and moves working incorrectly from gen 1
Proper distribution of mons. In each route there's tons of shit you can encounter

Then there's subtle additions that make you go: TECHNOLOGY

Johto was also a very comfy and idyllic region that gave you a sense of melancholy. They tried to repeat this atmosphere with gen 4's Sinnoh.

The only weakness of gen 2 is the low-level curve, that I can agree. It's the only flaw.

Not everyone is a competitive fag you know, after Showdown came to be there's even less reason to keep buying new games just to play competitively.

There hasn't been a reason to buy the games since gen 4 when piracy became piss easy.

[cont]

Gen 3's only new feature that was groundbreaking was IV/EV revamp and Natures/Abilities. That's it. It gave birth to the autistic smogon faggotry.

Gen 4 introduced the Physical/Special split and Wi-Fi online battleing, which is much more welcomed.

also this.

mhhhh

And that's what made them interesting. The story works in gen 2 because you can actually see what impact YOU made. You see the consequence and get to live it. Endlessly better than just having a villain of the week.

Team Rocket is also a proper crime syndicate. Mobsters and thugs.

Aqua and Magma are a bunch of eco-hippie terrorists. Their motives are fucking retarded, even for a children's JRPG.

God I miss team rocket

A game being good is reason enough to buy it.

???
Aside from Crystal this hasn't been a thing.

Yeah, but at least they stayed in their old games where they were best represented, and weren't shoehorned into later games for nostalgia-bait right? :^)

The kanto gyms were all piss easy to the point of it feeling like a chore to do them. In the early game the gyms could follow a level curve somewhat but everything after blackthorne goes full retard, either being too high in the case of blackthorne itself or too low for everything post e4.
This only works if you make something interesting. All team rocket accomplished in gen 2 was falling down a well and making a radio broadcast. There's also the fact that they can't react properly since you're playing a different character, which highly limits the interaction.

People like you are the reason the series can't move forward and instead keeps sucking it's own dick. You are the reason mega charizard X and Y exist and I hate you for it.

Except that's not what I said at all.
Too bad the games aren't worth buying.

If you listen to the radio at certain times or get phone calls from certain trainers, they'll tell you there's a swarm of [otherwise rare mons] in a certain route. That means 100% encounter rate.

And you're one of the faggots that will buy Game Freak's trash and defend the new games.
To each their own.

At least I like good games and not committee made garbage

Wew, it's almost like you didn't even read my post.

Everyone who thinks Gen 2 wasn't a perfect game in every way is a shit-stirring goon.
Go back to posting about how much you hate anime on Holla Forums faggots.

Isn't that board dead? I heard it's just filled with bots. Any real user has been banned by that faggot Imkampfy.

play, buy, no difference.
You're still a faggot

No, that's Holla Forums.

The difference is pretty significant. Also good job on admitting to not having played the later games, really makes your wrong opinions seem so much more valid.

Yeah, that's Holla Forums.
No discussion, no criticism, suck Trumps cock on everything regardless.

You clearly haven't been to the threads where they call him a cryptokike regardless.

Stop derailing the thread.

Gen 2 is outclassed by HG/SS.

Not if you hate EVs/Natures/Abilities, which I do.

It's easy to get max potential out of your 'mons in gen 2 than it is in any later generation.

EVs exist in Gen 2

Except anyone who's played the games outside of the 90s fad will tell you that gen 4 was the best and gen 2 aged like shit.

The graphics are fine; you've been spoiled by time, not the game.

Emerald, the remakes removed the game corner with no actual replacement.

I never played any Pokemon, where should I start?

Battle Frontier can keep you busy with literally hundreds of hours.

I recommend from the original Red/Blue/Green/Pikachu generation myself.

I've tried them for sure, never stuck around to actually finishing them

does red/blue/green/pika contain different content between games? If so, is there some sort of "definitive xDD" version I can play that has everything from gen 1?

Too bad I never said anything about graphics. Gen 2 is a chore to play and the mechanics are still wonky and lack polish.

Tbh don't.

So you're confirming that your opinions are invalid and you don't know what you're talking about.

The games are the same just small changes to what mons you can get. Yellow lets you get all the starters so that's a big advantage, though it also has small changes that make it more/less charming depending on how much you like the old show.

I don't think universally means what you think it means.

A handful of different Pokemon, but otherwise not much between Red and Green. Blue had revamped sprites, which then got used in the American Red and Blue versions, though in spite of the name the American Blue is based on the Japanese Green for capturable Pokemon, while Japanese Blue has a separate set entirely. Pikachu version is the most radical departure, meant as something of a tie-in to the anime, so the player starts with a Pikachu and it replaces some Team Rocket grunts with the trio from the anime, and had a few other events and balance changes here and there.

Yellow.

Play the games in this order, if you want to see how the franchise evolved over time:

Yellow > Crystal > Emerald > Platinum > Black/White > X/Y > Sun/Moon

The first 4 generations have an 'ultimate' or 'third' version that is always the best. Generation 5 onward they stopped this formula so you'll have to look up the differences between each game and decide.

LeafGreen/FireRed, HeartGold/SoulSilver and OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire are just remakes of generation 1, 2 and 3 respectively. They're nostalgia bait and not necessary if you're completely new to the franchise.

Platnium, then Heart Gold or Soul Silver, play Black or White if you're concerned about missing out on plot, then play Black 2 or White 2. Make sure to use difficulty mods (Drayano mods and Drayano inspired mods are recommended).

So is this one of those retarded on purpose things I've heard about?

You don't need to play 40 hours of a pokemon game to tell that it's shit. Get to the second gym, if you're generous, and you've already seen everything the game has to offer.

Honestly? Gold and Silver, because everything that said is absolutely correct. I don't know if it's the best gen, because I've only played up to Gen 3 myself, but it is certainly my favorite and the best out of the first three gens.

As far as I can tell, Pokemon has gotten more retarded with time, although I suppose it could be that I'm just out of touch.

You're not. The new games have nothing to do with the spirit of the first ones.

Ignorance is never a solid place to argue from my man.

Stop being objectively wrong, then. imkikey is a yid and needs to be executed, not just fired.

Has anyone in the history of pokemon ever cared about hold items outside of competitive autists?

Seriously do you go on smogon and think pokemon is a serious competitive game too? Cause that would just be the cherry on top of this shit cake

While I do agree that Crystal's spritework is nicer, remember that they had nearly double of the sprites to animate in Emerald, and those sprites are more colors than Crystal's. I can't blame them too much because it's a huge workload.

Of all the things to criticize, this seems like the dumbest. Especially since Gen 2 did a ton of new shit. Gen 2 was originally going to close out the series, but it was such a massive hit they decided not to.

Completely incorrect. I'd pinpoint it to Gen 5 being the start, with them getting a little lazy in some areas and have more than one Gen on the same handheld series (DS). However it could've and should've been a quick recovery since while Gen 5 was quirky it was still good. It wasn't until Gen 6 where everything went "oh fuck". In fact I think I can say with certainty that Gen 6 games are the most disappointing and wasted potential Pokemon games ever made.

Including Hey You Pikachu.

Gen 3 was the start of it. Of course it wasn't bad when it came out, but that's because we didn't know the way it would go in the next decade.

I'm just identifying that the current problems appeared in gen 3 first

Shit trainer detected.

lmao this nigga plays pokemon competitively

remakes were nice but you'll want to experience the berry mixing game so play it on a emu first.
also you want a gardevoir on your team best pokemon you can get one same time you help that little shit get his first pokemon which is a ralts as well.
make sure its a female

Pokemon has never required critical thinking outside of competitive and raw levels are really all that matters, specially in earlier gens when pokemon were way more limited in what they could actually do.

Gardevoir is shit.

the core of pokemon is trading and battling with friends faggot. Testing your mons against friends throughout the game as you both play through isn't even close to artistically spending all day on smogon and hacking in mons to go to events.

Suck it auto-correct.

Trading and battling were last minute addictions to make use of the GB's connectivity capabilities and for marketing and if you knew anything about pokemon you'd know this

Battling and Trading have close to zero impact on how good a pokemon game is and only fags care about the quality of held items or complex movesets

The more you speak, the more I'm convinced you never actually played a Pokemon game.

In single player, levels are a massive deal. Assuming there isn't a massive difference in base stats, a difference of 5 levels is a huge difference in power, especially when you consider that levels are actually taken into account when calculating damage. Typing doesn't mean shit as long you have at least one move that hits for at least neutral and higher speed.

Start with the series in its heyday, Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver fuck Crystal

I'm not gonna debate this, because I don't care, but "Fuck Crystal" is a rare opinion and I'd actually just really like to hear your reasoning.

Currently playing through Emerald (again). Highly recommend it. so I herd you like mudkips

lol shoop da woop ima firin mah lazer xD

The cake is a lie!

Fair enough. One of the main reasons I like G/S is that they are not centered around the box legendary (or any legendary for that matter) which are supposed to be mysterious monsters hidden from the player rather than given to him on a silver platter.
The game focuses on the 8 gyms and the elite four, while giving you hints of a great legendary that you may or may not be worthy of encountering, let alone catching. So you explore the region, find side quests and hidden areas, until you eventually find Ho-Oh/Lugia (all the while progressing through the story at your own pace), which at this point makes the legendary a great reward that you earned by yourself.
Crystal took this great concept and threw it out the window… Now as you progress through the story you encounter Suicune periodically at a very predictable scripted pace, but you can't catch it until you encounter it the very last time. So in this scenario the main game (8 gyms + E4) becomes merely a hurdle in the way of finding that 1 pokemon that keeps teasing you in particular for no valid reason, and when you finally corner it it jumps at you so you can claim it as a gift you're entitled to, reinforcing the whole idea that you're some chosen one and not an average trainer who needs to prove himself (as he should).

You do realize all the Suicune events are entirely optional though right? I fully agree with you about how the legendaries should be handled, but Suicune is by no means required

I stopped playing when they literally just gave me Latios.

I see your reasoning and I like it. Now that you mention it when I recently played Crystal for the first time something did feel off. I recall when even seeing the legendary dogs was a crazy event, crystal hands you one in what is honestly a pretty easy battle.

I mean you can choose not to cut that first tree and trigger the whole thing (I think?), but otherwise it's in your face one way or another as you progress through the story and reach new areas.

Actually I think the first event is the one in Cianwood with the Eusine fight, which is optional, and not triggering that event shouldn't trigger any of the other ones either.

I sorta agree with your idea, but I also like that they tried to make one of the legendary dogs more unique. I love the idea of legendaries having nothing to do with the main plot and instead being extremely crptic and difficult sidequests. In fact I think the best legendary sidequest in the entire series is the Regi Trio ones.

It gives you the possibility, but it's not the main focus by any margin.
Nice ad hominem, really shows how fucking poor your argument is

Where the Gen V fags at?

The 3DS version was worth buying a 2DS for tbh. I don't know how relevant it is anymore but I was a fan, and I don't play Pokemon games anymore (Stopped with HG/SS).

Why would anyone over the age of 12 play Pokemon?

They're Numale manchildren who want to dick the pokemon? I don't fucking know, i haven't played the games since ruby, and that was fucking garbage.

It could've been great. I'm not one to complain about graphics but that framerate in battle scenes was appalling for a main series title. Practically sleepwalked through the entire game on the first run without once getting a game over too. After that all you have left is the hacked online and spreadsheet-optimization chores against rubberband AI.

Why would anyone be so insecure about their maturity and sexuality that they have to project it on others like this? Are you underage?

Thanks

The new games ALL having the "save the world" bullshit and forced as fuck friendships sucks ass

Woah, you're extrapolating a lot there, boyo. You sure you're not the one projecting here?

Just wanted to say that no it didn't, it was in Ruby and Sapphire on a small island you had to take a boat to initially, and in FRLG was on one of the Sevii Islands. Emerald expanded the Battle Tower concept (and island) into multiple facilities, pioneering the Battle Frontier.

IIRC Archie is a more interesting character in the 3ds, though I played OR, so he has less screentime. He seemed kinda generic in the original games.

Team Magma was defilnitly ore interesting int he remakes

the ship had a cool sidequest about New Mauville.

but that's about it.

Wrong. It was the same building that they added north of Mauville City
in emerald that was more of a time trial thing. It sucked btw, the layout
was suppose to change based off e-reader cards but that was disabled
on international copys.

Right, I suppose I forgot about that being a different facility. Does make me wonder why they thought it a good replacement for the Battle Tower in FRLG (Emerald meanwhile had both Trainer Hill and Battle Frontier in the same game).

more of might and magic 6-8 but in a science fiction setting and improved modern graphics, I'd even be fine with ps2 era graphics, I just want more mm6 god damnit

it's open world party based doom with deep rpg elements, loads of detail, melee/ranged combat including super varied magic system and good story. imagine that but with full 3d graphics, more dialog and cyberpunk setting with different guns and calibers of ammo instead of bows/different kinds of magic. and destructible environments then you got my dream game.

That's the most interesting pokemon game I've ever heard of.

Don't, because with one or two exceptions every new addition to the series gets more disappointing. As a pokefag, life is suffering.

Do the OSTs get better after Emerald?
The amount of effort they put into R/S/E's OST is palpable and amazing. The neat songs that play when you encounter different types of trainers like hexes, psychics, cool trainers, hikers, gentlemen, etc. are a cool detail. The battle themes, from the Team Magma/Team Aqua theme, to the gym leaders theme, to the Elite Four theme are exciting. The legendary Pokemon themes like Groudon/Kyogre's and Deoxys' among some of the best in the game IMO. The eerie tones of Sealed Chamber, Victory Road, Cave of Origin, the Drought, and Drizzle themes can make your spine tingle. A lot of the town and route themes contribute the most to the game's immersion. Dewford, Sootopolis, Fallarbor, Fortree, Vendaturf, Littleroot, and Oldale/Lavaridge Town's themes give a feeling of living comfortably and content in a small community. In contrast, Slateport, Lilycove, Mauville/Rustboro/Mossdeep, and Petalburg embrace the energetic bells and horns of bustling urban cities. The environments of gen 3 really tell their whole stories in their music.

It's been a year since I played the Emerald ROM, but I do remember having to adjust some settings in the VisualBoyAdvance emulator to get it running and saving properly. EEPROM size, I think? Nothing wrong with the ROM itself.

Gen 4 and 5; generally on par with some tracks out shinning the previous OSTs easily (Gen 5 also introduces dynamic music)
Gen 6 and beyond; No. They best tracks introduced are remixes of older songs and there are only a few tracks that match the areas well.

I don't remember having much complaint with Gen IV and V's OSTs (though there's some variance in liking with HGSS's OST, being that most of the songs are arrangements, and some feel like they were better in the original or prior arranged form, like the Lake of Rage theme in FRLG), and Gen V's in particular had a lot of neat tunes. Of course, some of those (like Arceus' theme), the west never got to hear in game without cheating because for some reason, half the time Nintendo seems to just like to hand out legendaries instead of giving you an item to access and fight them yourself. Can't speak for games after the DS though as I don't have a 3DS (and as such haven't played them) and haven't cared to delve into their soundtracks on their own.

Still, I think the Orre games had some of my favorite music in the series, and they were neither main series or even developed by GameFreak (and thus don't even share a composer with the main series).

this guy knows what's up

Dynamic music was pretty awesome, in battle music can change based on your health or whether the gym leader's on their last pokemon.
It also introduced vocals in music iirc, and BW2 even gave each gym it's own unique theme.

Arceus' theme can officially be heard in the Sinjoh ruins which are only accessible if you bring Arceus to the Ruins of Alph in HGSS
it plays during this cutscene

Me
Gen 4 is a close second though.
If I had to pick one definitive Pokémon game it would be Platinum , I think it captures the "Pokémon Experience" best.

Wasn't there some doujin about mc having a team rocket gf with handholding?

Fair enough (though that implies you already have an Arceus to trade over). And that was a bizarre cutscene too, fitting the idea that Arceus is somewhere beyond the Pokemon world's understanding of power. Still, would have better to actually be able hear that during the battle.
I still remember being pissed that we couldn't legitimately visit World's Edge Island in Emerald out here because we never got the Old Sea Chart either. And as of the DS, there wasn't even an excuse anymore of having to do an actual "Pokemon Rocks America" tier event with link cable download machines (which could readily leave some areas shit out of luck because they weren't important enough), since you could do wifi downloads from home, yet they still deemed cool ones worth skimping on here.

Even the little changes with the seasons or the slight tempo changes based on if you are walking/running/biking. Gen V was really the last time they put effort into a pokemon game.

it really is

Emerald is a good start in your Hoenn journey, as it contains content that the remakes don't have. If you have the time, you can play the remakes, and see how they compare to the originals.

Gen V had like five or six different composers working on it in tandem, so I think it gave the games some variety and allowed for experimentation (like those vocal tracks mentioned above). At the same time, it seems like a risk to try to keep things feeling consistent as a whole with that many people involved.

The DS had some solid OSTs amongst its library, and the sound chip used was certainly an improvement over the GBA's (I think a lot of the SNES ports the GBA saw ought to have been held off for the DS, between that and color palette). Not Pokemon, but some more tracks from a game composed for by one of the people involved in the Unova games (and who I think they underutilized there; he or she only got to make like three full length tracks on them, on of which people aren't likely to bother hearing in full) that might work for non-vidya purposes. If they can't pick out Unova music as being from Pokemon, I doubt they'll even know what this stuff is from.

It's "Dating a Team Magma Grunt".

Did he ever survive his term of service?

3DS remakes are absolute trash. You get FORCED to take a Latias or Latios.

oh boy another jrpg with zero difficulty, i can't wait to win a boss fight blindfolded just selecting random skills.
then i'm going to go shitpost about how SMT III and wizardry 8 are casual even though ive never played them.
because final fantasy and pokemon are easy, and those are the only jrpg's i've played, that means EVERY jrpg is easy.
im also going to go shitpost in the multiplayer FPS threads about how they're braindead even though they technically have a infinitely higher skill ceiling than pokemon since you can't get a kill blindfolded like you can in pokemon.

"whoa bro, havent you heard of le nuzlocke challeneg? pokemon is actually super deep. to activate deep mode, all you have to do is ignore 90% of content. i mean, you could just play a jrpg that's already deep by default no matter what your playstyle is, but that's just not the same as playing epic pokemon, now is it?"

Gen 1 sucks ass and is a buggy pile of shit, do not play. Gen 2 is better but not by much. It starts to get good at gen 3, but starts getting too casualised around gen 6.

damn you're right dude. wow the game is so hard now and i'm going to draw a really le depressed comic about how my pokemon are dying (and by dying i mean i dispose of them myself instead of using revive items that the game gives you infinite of).
"goodbye pikachu…. i will never forget you…." even though i never actually roleplayed because someone with enough intelligence to have an active imagination and come up with a story for their character and visualize battles wouldn't be playing this piece of shit. it's just for the sake of reblogs on tumblr.

gee im at the first gym battle and they're using a rock pokemon. to make the game EXTRA EXTRA DEEP i'm going to use a pokemon that is weak to rock and dies in one hit. this is way better than playing a game that's organically hard!

Huh, those are unexpectedly good. These are from BW/B2W2?
I never got very far into those games due to growing up and going to uni, they're in the drawer in my room, might have to find my DS and put it on charge later.

which you can then immediately box
also certain legendary Pokémon have been forced onto the player since Gen V

Try emulation using Citra, last I heard it emulates ORAS and SM fine (with some slowdowns) but has some issues with XY.

I agree with you but you should tone down your autism

I ended up using the mGBA emulator and it worked just fine, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever hit snags with any other games. Thanks!

No, they're just some non-Pokemon music made by one of the five or so composers that worked on the Unova games before GameFreak picked them up for the BW team, and she seem to have become stuck with them since X and Y now (as opposed to freelance like before). Checking who-made-what for the 3DS games, she at least seems to get more tracks per game, but given what another user mentioned about the 3DS entry music being lacking, that might not be a good thing. Though for all I know, maybe she makes the better tracks? To be fair, I haven't played the 3DS entries or heard the music myself.

I think I know which user that is. The peace was nice while it lasted.

From what I've heard in past threads, not playing them might be dodging a bullet, even without actually investing money.

I may have spoken too soon, having issues with saving now.

To be honest I fucking love Mudkipz

Dude fuck what you heard, give them a try anyway. If they're good, they're good. If not, now you know for a fact they're trash and why so you can easily debate any fag here.

With mGBA or VBA?

mGBA, but it turns out I was running an older version, and when I got the newest version it started working just fine.

FireRed > Emerald > Platinum > Heart Gold > White > White 2 and then just stop.

Finally, someone who gets it. Though I might recommend playing HeartGold right after FireRed for plot and tone reasons, though that makes going back to Emerald harder. And of course at least use full Pokedex hacks if not increased difficulty ones.

I was thinking the same but decided against it for the very reason you mentioned. Plus he'd appreciate the feeling of returning to Kanto so much more in HG after experiencing 3 different regions first. I was tempted to say give Y and Sun a shot if he wanted to go on but they're really not worth it. I'm very curious what they will do with things on the Switch but I don't have any hopes at all that they'll stop it with all the overbearing story elements and return to form as fun monster raising and battling games.

Damn. This IS good! What's the source?

Emerald > R/S > OR/AS

Emerald. You can painfully see how dumbed down games have gotten over fucking nothing with ORAShit.

Stop being such a fucking faggot.

Just fuck you.

Scaling/rotating pixel art never looks good. That's what most of the animations are in Emerald.

Kanto is pretty cut down compared to the main romp through Johto. Not that I'm complaining, it's one of the better post-game parts in the series.

For fuck's sake what rock are you living under? It's mandatory to encounter them in R/S/E and most games beyond that, and they really factor into the story too. Not in a good way.

They're totally different though, and there's no micromanagement needed.

There's only a few things I like about X/Y.
I think that's it. Otherwise it's piss-easy and not that satisfying.

Explorers of Sky
then never touch the series again

HeartGold is the only game absolutely worth playing, loads of content and is the best region with the best starters and story, and you fight the protagonist from the first game. If you want more challenge play Emerald and want something oldschool go to Crystal, the rest of the mainline isn't worth touching if you don't really care. Explorers of Sky is also a good spin-off to play.

One thing I liked about crystal is some of the unique wild pokemon you can find. Poliwag, teddiursa, phanpy, and growlithe can all be found before the first gym. Also the odd egg should've come back for HG/SS tbh.

You can also get all 3 starters by using the cloning glitch (deposit starter in Cherrygrove PC, reset and start new game, the starter will still be in PC).

The Odd Egg has a high percentage of getting a shiny, so you can use the cloning glitch to get a ton of eggs and a shiny of every Baby 'mon. You can get guaranteed shiny Electabuzz/Jynx/Magmar/Hitmons/Wigglytuff/Clefable this way.

There's also a very complicated glitch that involves seed manipulation that makes a Sneasel turn into a Celebi.

I advise anyone emulating Crystal to get the "Emu Edition" rom hack by LocksmithArmy. It makes it so you can get all Pokémon (Kanto legendaries, fossils, all starters and unobtainables, etc) in-game without needing to trade.

How?

Emerald, ever since Gen 6 Gamefreak has just gotten lazier and lazier.

You walk in the grass.

The odd egg isn't that great of a way to get shinies that gen when you can just transfer back the red gyarados, have a ditto transform in to it in gen 1, catch the ditto, transfer it back to gen 2 where it becomes a shiny ditto, and then breed it with whatever you want shiny for very high odds of it turning out shiny (this is because it inherits 3 of it's 5 "IV"s from it's parents, there are only 5 in gen 2 because special atk and special def are both drawn from one "Special" iv, and it is IVs that determine shiny or not in Gen 2 so all you need is to luck out on getting all 3 from the ditto and then roll right on the last 2).

If I remember it right Poliwag was in Route 30 grass during night.
Teddiursa and Phanpy Not sure were in dark cave.
Growlithe was in grass north of ruins of alph. Not sure, if that grass was even in vanilla version.

Route 30.
Dark Cave.
Route 46
Route 36.

Not just for you they were just plain awful remakes. No battle frontier, shit post-game, they removed the Sky Pillar bike section, Wally is a joke, because even a modicum of challenge is apparently unacceptable.

Listen to this man

Haven't played the original sun/moon but USUM were pretty good. I played through UM with a dark monotype team and no items. Had to actually try different strats instead of brute forcing everything. Like switching for multiple imtimidate drops, actually using scary face/speed dropping moves.

Me too.

Even after being remade the gen1 games still suck for me, I dunno why.

I was talking within the scope of gen2, and I do agree the incorporation of legendaries in the plot is garbage. See

Poliwag only at night I think, in the route where you encounter Weedle for the first time.

Growlithe in patch of grass east of wiggling Sudowoodo tree. That grass is not there in Gold or Silver.

Phanpy in the early northern route behind a building where you can catch Geodude and Jigglypuff. Only in the morning.

Teddiursa also only in the morning, Dark cave where you can see Dunsparce and Gastly.

This just in! Arbitrarily making the game harder by ignoring in-game mechanics makes the game more difficult to complete!

I originally made those for "guess the music" threads, and even after multiple threads no one's guessed them. They seem like good stumpers as people admit the music's good, so I'm divided. Telling the source myself would go against the intent, but at the same time, if nobody ever guesses it, then nobody discovers a possible new game to play/listen to the OST from. At the very least I'll give you some hints like I have in those threads: The audio sounds like a DS game because it was from a DS game, was brought overseas by a company a fair bit of Holla Forums considers acceptable, but failed to find much of an audience.

For what purpose? I mean, was moving skillfully with the mach bike too much of a pain? Admittedly in Emerald those breakable floors aren't there the first time through (if I remember right) during the main plot, with perhaps Rayquaza landing back on the roof after telling Groudon and Kyogre to fuck off back home as the excuse for them being there when you climb the tower in the post game, but still. You'd think asking the player to show a bit of mastery of a particular mechanic is unacceptable at this point. Makes me glad the prior remakes, FRLG and HGSS, were as solid as they were.

it had more of a post-game than emerald did

But that's wrong and you know it. Battle frontier alone provided more content than ORAS' 45 minute long "episode" and flying around scoping up legendary pokemon

Don't forget the rehashed battle facility from X/Y.

that user counted BF as a separate issue and while I do agree it is probably the greatest disappointment of ORAS, it's not fair to list it as two separate issues.