World War I Vidya

Made this thread since I noticed Verdun was on sale.

Why is World War I so overlooked as a whole compared to World War II? There's plenty of series in FPS (Medal of Honor, Battlefield, Call of Duty), RTS games (Company of Heroes) to RTT games (Men of War) and then Grand Strategy (Hearts of Iron) but barely anything compared to the first war. The only games I know of are Verdun, Battle of Empires, and half assed attempts in Victoria II and Battlefield Kangs that aren't mods for other games.

World War I introduced a lot of new crazy shit (machineguns, planes, tanks, gas) while still using old philosophy (rank formations, horseback cavalry, projectile throwers) combined with an absolute autistic sperg for a Kaiser and retarded outdated diplomacy that made it an utter shitshow and the angsty growing teenager of modern warfare.

Other urls found in this thread:

thechristiansolution.com/doc2009/293_ZimmermannTelegram.html
moddb.com/games/1916
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Second Reich > Third Reich

Can't really make money without killing nazis

Is there any way to play a pirated version of verdun with bots for example

Because WW1 was a moral grey in terms of Hollywood good vs bad bullshit. It isn't like WW2, where it's hurrdurr neva forget the 6000000 gorillion nadsis are bad goys. In WW1, everyone was using chemical weapons, everyone had concentration camps, everyone was fighting just for clay in Africa.

Also, any good singleplayer ww1 games? I've already played battle of empires and I don't like necrovision. Why did the one ww1 fps have to be fucking multiplayer

Why did they end up nerfing the arty in a ww1 game? ive spent so much time playing this shit on console that it's a waste of time to even use explosives, its more efficient to just focus on shooting people.

Theres a shitty horde mode, but it isnt fun and is only really good for grinding squad xp with a friend.

Technically Victoria II does have World War I in it, but it's just so half assed since it's a country simulator than an army sim like HoI is.

who would they sell it too?
Euros view it as that time they killed the ever loving shit out of each other for reasons people still aren't sure of to this day.
America views it as "the first time the French got flanked through Belgium" and have a huge list of embarrassing failures they want to forget about.
The Chinese view it as "that other time we got our ass kicked by the Japanese"
The Japanese aren't allowed to view any modern war positively

Really the only people who view it positively are the Canucks

Yeah I forgot about Victoria but it kind of defeats the purpose for me, if I wanted to use my imagination I'd read Céline's accounts of the war, they're much more vivid.

Try Necrovision Lost Company

What games?

Oh and Rule the Waves is pretty good for simulating the naval side of the WW1-era even if it isn't strictly speaking WW1. Also has a CSA alt-history option and plenty of mods for more nations.
There's also Blitzkrieg and Men of War WW1 versions out there but be warned the latter will try and jew you for DLC if you get the legitfag version.

WW1 was a very interesting conflict, a shame that there aren't more games about it. That comradery even to enemy soldiers was a thing we never say again in history. I once had a image of russian prisoners in vienna, walking down the street in their uniforms. Nobody cared that they were there, there weren't any austrian soldiers or policemen anywhere in sight either. We'll probably never see something like that again.

Battle of Empires. It's a shame really that the devs are just assholes and started ripping out content to sell back later (ie. Tanks) going "This was just for beta testing, this wasn't feature complete" with more planned DLC still left.

see

They rebuffed it or something. There was a fairly massive update that came out to merge Verdun with Tannenburg.

This timeline may be interesting, but it sucks.

This timeline may be interesting, but it sucks.

too bad ill never get it since fucking nobody bought plebsole verdun, id like to blame the devs but it's obvious im the one at fault here. i take it that's why those screenshots look so much nicer than what im used to then?

you know, i think being overly honourable in war is stupid. but at the same time i kind of think they were right to promise not to run off when they were captured. Part of the point of the geneva convention is not just to protect those who surrender but to protect combatants from false surrender. im not sure why trying to circumvent capture (which can and did involve mutual combat) wasn't dealt with more harshly than it was.

Yeah, the graphics of PC Verdun were overhauled several times compared to console Verdun. The most recent update adds shader options but does need a bit of tweaking.

They fought on the same side in WW1, though the Chinese never contributed combat troops since they didn't officially declare war until 1917 and no one wanted them to take Chinese clay back

This, it's a moral grey and also it's out of people's memories. While WW2 is often the focusing point for teaching kids history, WW1 is ignored or not talked about nearly as much.

I suspect it's also because subconsciously everyone recognizes what a massive mistake the war was. It destroyed nearly everyone involved and marked the beginning of the end of European power

Because people think it's trench warfare and they never teach it in schools.
Because jews can't exploit it.

That's because US schools will spend a month alone on the civil war and what it meant for slavery, but then one day on WW1 and maybe 2 on WW2. Even the Great Depression gets a week of coverage.

You're right I'm confusing it with the other wars in close proximity to ww1

What the fuck is this OP? Where are the automatics and blacks? What a shit thread, downvoted :^)
In all seriousness though World War I games are dead.

There was one FPS horror game being made in World War I but I forgot the name of it, either way it was looking somewhat walking simulator-ish.

There was no clear bad guy in the conflict. It was an utterly meaningless conflict that only caused untold misery in the world.

There was no clear bad guy in the conflict. It was an utterly meaningless conflict that only caused untold misery in the world.

Actually nevermind, I found it.

Actually France and England and their side were the bad guys. When you look at the justifications and casus belli they Austrian and German alliance was in the right.

Funny how it was MUSLIMS that kicked off this WW1.

Not at all
Everyone was planning for war, the Germans wanted to smash Russia before 1916 due to their industrial expansion, the French wanted revenge for 1871 and to regain the position of premier continental power, the eternal anglos wanted to break up the continental powers since they were starting to represent a threat to British power, and the Austrians wanted to prove that they weren't a dying empire and they could still "fight"

Who's going to buy this?

Because historically accurate WW1 gameplay means sitting in a trench until you die from artillery or rushing across flat land into a machine gun emplacement. Like it or not, BF1 is probably the closest to a WW1 game you'll see as a major release.

Not only that, but even the one point that Serbia didn't concede, their answer was that they would accept for it to be submitted to a council at the Hage. Austria - Hungary didn't want it because Conrad von Hotzendorff wanted war anyway, and because Austria - Hungary always got outvoted on the Hage.
Also even the Kaiser saw that the Serbian answer was adequate (his famous "all cause for war is lost" observation).

My favorite thing about WW 1 is that it was started because of pan-Slavic sentiments, right? Then the Slave get the opportunity to finally become ye Great Yugoslavia, and what happens? It is kept together only by the force of a dictator, and when the dictator dies, the supposedly "Slavic Brotherhood" dies with him, and "balkanization" becomes a well known concept. In resume, WW 1 was fought for LITERALLY NOTHING.

WW1 was mostly static lines with soldiers cowering in holes trying not to choke on gas. Forward progression was not something that happened. Nor were there any particularly over-the-top or memorable operations such as WW2'S Chariot, Overlord, etc

If only Wilhelm II had listened to Bismarck we could maybe have had an Anglo-German alliance.

Wilhelm had autism, you just need to understand.

Now, I don't know much about WWI, but I do know that those motherfuckers spent the majority of their time in trenches playing the waiting game, and that No Man's Land was filled with the corpses of the retarded.

From a gameplay perspective, what can you do to make trench warefare fun? If you're gonna eschew the trench warefare in favor of tanks and planes and shit, then you're sort of making a mech styled game that is focused on vehicular combat. The big thing is FPS cawwadieutyshit where you run and gun and throw grenades and shit. Finally, people don't give a fuck about historical accuracy, so you may get a game in which some weapons are modeled with authenticity but that will operate in a way that is not authentic at all. Not to mention the forced diversity shit.

Verdun gamenight when?

She should be spanked for that.

Read up on the ✡Zimmerman Telegram✡, please.
thechristiansolution.com/doc2009/293_ZimmermannTelegram.html

I know it's
but still, that's bad for a trailer.

Also Japan.

A Verdun gamenight would be pretty rad, especially if it could be figured out how to pirate it.

The fuck is this? Germany is a nation full of autists that don't understand diplomacy and got their asses kicked twice as a result. How is this accurate at all to World War I let alone any other point in American history?

I would love that too, though I'm actually going to buy it since a friend said he'd play with me.
Forgive me piracy gods for what I'm about to do.

This one's pretty good. It's very short but it's free.
moddb.com/games/1916

It's not fast paced enough to keep people interested. Everyone needs to have a high powered machine gun (and a specialty skill if there are classes. The only way I could see a WW1 game being good is if it were an MMO like Planetside. You could holocaust an entire map with chlorine gas and it wouldn't be that big of a deal, as opposed to the standard FPS where there is no connection between maps. Having a hierarchy that gives actual strategy would be fun too. Although I imagine it would need to be an AI or the game devs making a lot of decisions.

The somme, paschendale, gallipoli?

WW1 has a lot of great moments, too bad all people think of are trenches.

Oh I remember this one too, I even played it a long time ago, shame it was so short.

Even if you take the politics out of it I imagine a lot of devs get hung up on the European trench fronts and can't figure out a good wy to translate that into something that will be fun/exciting for the player assuming the boots on the ground role. Battlefield 1 seemed to try to spice it up a bit but missed the mark and i dunno what the hell it was going for by the end. You'd have to think of a good system to allow trench raids that give the players a means to get into the down and dirty of beating a man to death with your shovel in a hole in the ground without getting turned into hamburger strewn across barbed wire first.

serbian campaign could be interesting too

The Defense of Belgrade would be a wonderful thing.

First Reich best Reich.

At least for a while, WW1 aviators were total bros to one another.

WW1 was pretty weird like that in general.

It gets better :^)

If I remember right, The students that made this game were supposed to make a "full" game in the same style set in ww1. I guess the project died since we never had any news from it in years.

Shame.

REEEEEEEEEEE
However the russians did use quite a few women in WW2 as radio operators because you can hear female voices better, as well as medics and other support roles, no idea about WW1 though. They sure as hell weren't front line muh badass soldiers

It's not as well known and is way more complex politics-wise. You don't have as much as a clear villain like in World War II (for normalfags at least). Also, people like think that WWI was only the western front, while shit like the Eastern Front and Mesopotamia were pretty mobile and had large offensives like the Brusilov offensive.

Oh fuck, I remember that. That's a good way to buttfuck your war effort on the short term. Yes, I know the US was supporting the Entente economically, still the americans weren't in any shape to start fighting right away.

I just don't know why they don't add an east african campaign to the game and make an african fighting faction there

TBH I wish they would add a proper customization system, even the new CoDs allow players to change the face and gender of their character.

This.
As a FUCKING leaf when remembrance day comes around it's like 60% WW1 and even our history classes actually focus on WW1 too.
Ironically the only fucking pride we have left in this shithole of a country is our contribution and fight in WW1 and 2, shit man I go downtown every year for Remembrance day, and there's even fucking migrants that come to pay respect.

Even the fucking Calvary class is a nigger so you even see fucking niggers on horses with pickelhaubes. The best part about that was how they were supposed to represent the Askari but I guess DICE was too fucking lazy to do an Africa themed DLC so they threw them in Europe even though the Germans never fucking used them. I still love how even fucking normies gave Dice a shitfit over it.

Doesn't bother me as much but the nigger should really only be in the Middle East maps. The pajeet I'm totally fine with and they were used enough in Europe to justify them being there.

They did have 1 or 2 battalions of women fighting in 1917 but like "much based Kurdish womyn" they were primarily a propaganda tool to boost morale instead of actually fighting.

I think in total it was like 5'000 women in WW1, though in WW2 the Soviets used a lot more women, most of them being snipers so you can bet your ass if DICE makes a WW2 game the Soviets will have the recon class be a woman again which I'm fine with honestly, at least there was more of them than in WW1

When they announced that DLC I remember people saying that Dice was implying that these female batallions were fighting for the Tsar but in reality Dice fucked up because it was the opposite. Is it true?

ID might change cause my college has shit WiFi and I'm switching in between it and data
If you really want to get technical they didn't, as they were formed after the February revolution and the ousting of the Tsar. But they didn't fight for the Bolsheviks or the commies. I guess it's fine to throw them under the Russian Empire as they still "fought" for the state but not the Tsar.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but was the BO of Holla Forums, the one who was caught giving a guy a BJ, named "sticks" or styx" or something?

Because WW2 was the first real modern war, in the sense of combined arms (army, navy and air force).

WW1 had planes, tanks and subs but they were all very primitive or prototypes. They hardly made a difference either, whereas in WW2 you had the Battle of Kursk with a fuckton of tanks blasting eachother, or the Battle of Midway in the Pacific. Air control was integral, it allowed the allies to bomb the krauts with impunity. For the first time in history aircraft played a huge role in determining the outcome of a war.

WW2 is more interesting because it had so much fucking shit going on in such a little timespan, it also saw the creation of the first commandos and special forces like the SAS. There's so much content and interesting theaters (West Europe, Eastern Europe, North-Africa, Pacific) you can make a game out of.

WW1 was largely static and let's be honest the uniforms looked pretty dumb, it's the awkward transition between Napoleonic musket era to the industrial era.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

also pls answer :3

Triggered by the word 'kraut' I see.

Didn't even read the whole post user-kun~!

You just have shit taste.

What the actual fuck are you on about? At the start of WW1 the industrial era was in full fucking swing and the industrial revolution had already happened. There were already "modern" wars before WW1 like the Boer wars it was just never to the same scale.

Depends on the year and place, 1914 was very mobile and 1918 had massive amounts of movement with all the offensives being done. Go read up more than just your high school class and you'll find it wasn't as static as it's made out to be.

Barring the uniform bit, this is spot on. Also WW2 was the one very moment in time where, kikes or not, the entire world lost their goddam collective minds. The Japanese managed to shame their own veterans and educated kids into throwing themselves into the enemy because of a single oil tanker that caught on fire because of a Kamikaze attack, Axis, Allies and Comintern were all throughout the war actively fighting each other, their allies and their allies' allies (Nazi expeditionary forces in Ethiopia vs Italians prior to the pact, Soviets vs. Mao, American Japanese against their homeland etc.) for a billion reasons, German bureaus were fighting among themselves so much so that it makes CIA vs FBI wars look like school kids slapping each other, the combined efforts of America, Japan, Germany and Soviets broke through several scientific accomplishment in a matter of less than a decade just to shoot each other more efficiently, there were more Nazi supporters worldwide than actual German Nazis (Netherlands needs dem bikes) and a Finnish farmer with outdated equipment shot down so many men the Soviet Union created entire battalions trying to stop them (never really thinking about making their uniforms pure white first).
WWI as a setting though is pretty cool for anything not war related. Eternal Darkness has a chapter based on it IIRC.

thats a damn shame they didn't get to complete it, its a golden opportunity right there,
gonna check out that link, is it a mod for anything?

but on the subject, WW1 is much more suitable for terror, I remember reading some articles about the scientific experimentation that took place in the period
people back then had much less knowledge, on par with that the reports on new war weapons were pretty horrific,
like for example gasses there were thrown in the trenches and killed people in the most bizarre of ways, walking in the aftermath seeing a bunch of corpses with agonizing faces

Drown yourself in semen, imkikey.

You whippersnappers and your taking a mile a day.
Back in the old days, we were happy we got a meter a day at the expense of ten thousand men.

It didn't help that when they actually got to the front they used pre-war tactics, by running in a straight line towards machine guns.

I am still skeptical regarding the authenticity of the Zimmerman telegram

Kike faked it, like everything else.

If you want to see the entire relationship of the royal families watch Fall of Eagles.

Wilhelm's a good lad.

*tips fedora*

Explain how he would come to power without the destruction of Germany and the rise of Hitler as a foil.
Do you not know anything about pre-1945 global economics?
So… with a gold standard. It's DEFINITIONALLY IMPOSSIBLE without one.
Despite that kike lie being the de facto standard now for almost a century, Americans don't mix. At all. American whites have the most white DNA of any white group left on Earth. Despite decades of miscegenation propaganda, it's still a sub-1% incidence in reality. Kikes can't crack race.

Churchill was already in charge of Gallipoli in WWI, he was a complete idiot in the British aristocracy and wanted Britain to be #1 all the time, even though working with Germany would have been a better solution in the end

He was not a bad person, just incompetent, like literally every other monarch at the time. World War 1 is one of the strongest arguments against monarchy.

Explain. how. he. would. come. to. power. Fucking christ, you retard. We're obviously talking about prime ministership.
Which is why he purposely destroyed the British Empire, of course. That certainly worked out well for them.

JEWS YOU DUMBASS
He wasn't even supposed to be in power, the British parliament gave it to him after he gave a rant about British greatness in the middle of them considering a peace with Hitler and nobody else had the fortitude to continue it through. He thought Roosevelt was his friend and that America would work with the British after the war; the dumbass didn't realize that with jews, you lose.

It may be so, but there certainly were the good guys in the conflict and those were the nations struggling for independence from the empires. Those stories even contain a lot of popular tropes that would make it easier to sell it to the public.
But it's a bit too nationalistic theme I guess, plus it goes against the established narrative of "WW1 was so terrible, hellish and pointless". It was terrible and hellish, but not pointless for a lot of peoples. I remember during the history lesson there was a lot about how devastating the war was for Germany, France, Russia, UK and so on, but when we got to the effects of war on our country it was completely different story. The deaths and sacrifices of soldiers made something that was though impossible come true - regaining a homeland. In short, my point is that, WW1 is hard to sell because it's always shown from the old and stale perspective of the big players, not because it's too hard to grasp or something.

Gallipoli destroyed his reputation and power though, so I'm not sure that's a good starting point.

For the Canadians it's also the definitive war that Canada helped to contribute to, which is why Remembrance Day is pretty much WW1.

< too dumb to racism

Because WWI is a shit setting for a video game. It's
All the while there's no change in the frontline. It's too static and too brutal to work properly as a video game. Most definitely not as an FPS.

Verdun is trash.

WWI told as a shooter is boring because of Trench warfare. eastern front is much more interesting if you're on the German Side as we see the earliest developments of Mission Command develop

However, the crux of WWI, the thing that makes it so unique and interesting, is that it marks the end of Monarchy in Europe. It ushers in the 20th Century in such a psychologically grueling way and destroys the very zeitgeist that existed for centuries before it.

F Scott Fitzgerald beautifully summed up the first World War in 'Tender is the Night'. Without the first WWI the 20th century doesn't get shaped the way it did. The Communist revolution of 1917 doesnt happen. NAZI Germany never exists. Hiroshima doesn't happen. Vietnam, Maoist China, Cambodia, etc never happen because there is no communist state to support those upstarts. The Cold War doesn't occur. WWI is the most significant event of the 20th century.

If someone were to make a game set in WWI it has to focus on all of that. It has to capture the essence of the Fitzgerald quote below. It has to show the absolute horror experienced in the war. The sort of horror never imagined before that moment. How that war transformed Europe's landscape permanently go to Verdun today Otherwise it's just a shooter with old technology.

I dream of making this a thing and hope I can achieve it one day

I thought about this the other day, a plain shooting game wouldn't work.
Thanks but no thanks, I don't want to be blown up by old artillery shells.

Make it a strategy game where every single soldier that you can control has a backstory and the player is encouraged to become attached to them and then have the game force you to run them though the meat grinder.

Here's your (You)

So grimdark Valkyria Chronicles?

yeah

Your more likely to be blown up or run over by a mudslime now.

America joined the war because they were rused by Britain and France into thinking it would be an easy loot grab even though Germany was almost winning when America came, they could do this because Austria wrote a secret letter to Britain (or they faked that but thats unlikely) in which Austria asked for a seperate peace because they simply wanted to end this war by now, after all they did get royally fucked, cant blame them. When Germany found out Austria claimed that it didnt know anything about such a letter, so no seperate peace. Britain and France now noticed what such a letter would mean to a third party and showed it off to America claiming that it is proof that Germany and Austria were at their end and they were basically inviting America to get some free reparations because why not. Of course America agreed and only afterwards noticed that they would have to do actual work. Most of this was only possible because Americans had no idea whatsoever about European politics or the state of the war at the time and didnt even really care.

Which it was.
The war was pretty much over at the point the US joined due to the impact on German morale. Before they even had to do anything.

No wait, I have an even better idea
you don't completely control the soldiers, you can give them order but they have stats that determine their ability to comply. Like if their Trauam stat is too high they just sit in the trench rocking back and forth while rats crawl on them.

True. But funnily enough America joining the war made the Germans lose because America thought the Germans were losing but they were actually winning until they knew America joined the war and everything about this war is a clusterfuck

They were losing on nearly every front even before the Americans shown up though.

Wilson was simply duped into allowing the creation of the Federal Reserve wasn't he? Sold a bill of goods by (((someone))) who had been trying for a long time to get the system implemented. It's hard to blame someone for making a mistake in ignorance.

Rockefeller "saved" the economy with a bailout in 1905, he was holding the country hostage with the other (((bankers))) unless Wilson would establish the Fed for "economic security".

*seemed to have been J.P. Morgan and 1907, but the point still stands. He was being puppeted by the banks.

Wilson wanted involved in the War from the start but didnt have the support of the american people. Not until the sinking of the Lucetania anyhow and it was carrying weapons for the British and French

The americans are like the kid that waves their hand in front of you face and yelling "I'm not touching you", and then gets pissy when you hit the bastard.
Exactly what they did in ww1 when putting yanks on british vessels and telling the germans that they can't sink them because "america is neutral and americans are allowed to travel in europe without consequence:^)".

As far as I'm aware there's no proof the portly chick with the black lipstick is their BO, it's just inter-board banter.

The thing was America was Chad for the first half of the 20th century and was trolling people to attack him on purpose so he could beat them up.

Then, after we fucked around at the end of the war we did pic related

Good thing panoramas and pictures exist so you can see it without being blown up.

That's… really heavy actually.

Where do you think the world would've gone today if there wasn't a WW1?

The eternal anglo would never let any continental power grow big enough to rival himself, didn't you learn anything from history (not jewish propaganda they teach at schools and universities).

Yes. Hence why they made a lot of money with both wars and got a country out of it. They had to genocide most of the Palestinians there themselves though.

I've been to quite a few sites on the western trenches. Holy fuck some of the anti-trench craters are big. Three story building deep big.

The First World War was not actually the First World War.
It was the Second.
The First World War was actually the Napoleonic War which was fought globally, people forget that.

There were several wars prior to that that arguably were "global" like 7 years war or War of Spanish Succession

Need more games set during this era. especially good naval warfare

A man of taste and sophistication.

its our leaders, not us

Are you stupid?
With Russia defeated, Germany not only freed up like 7 Million men for the Western front, it also got control of Europe's breadbasket, the Ukraine.

It still lost the Western Front, still resulting in it losing the war.