Oceanic Thread

Like the Space Thread but water. Oceans, boats, piracy, fish, tropics, any games with such topics are fair game to be discussed here. Played any games relating to this lately? What upcoming ocean games are you looking forward to? Tropico 6 and Subnautica are releasing soon, what do you think of them?

Last time we had this thread it went pretty well, thought I'd bring it back

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/subnautica
pastebin.com/GDzu3Jcd
subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Concept_Art
twitch.tv/videos/221956416
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40738271
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Which game is the best Tropico game?

Waiting for tomorrow so I can finally build that damn rocket. Not sure why I'm still getting achievements, I have the console enabled like a dirty cheater and the sunbeam timer never actually went away for me. Can't wait to play through the game for a second (third?) time though.

What am i watching?

Looks like someone is trying to spear fish underwater and hes getting trolled by other fish.

A harpoon fisherman having his catches stolen by other fish. If this is confusing to you, you're either mentally disabled or an AI trying to parse video content. The latter is actually more likely, but only barely.

Four I'd personally say is the best. It's basically just an updated version of 3, and 5 is meh, casualized a bit, and smaller. I haven't played 1 and 2 yet and it's not really talked about so I can't say anything on their quality.

I haven't touched subnautica in I think 2 years, while I can't say I'm fully pleased with the direction they decided to go I'm still interested in seeing how the finished product will play.

If I were that angry I'd just spear the kinds of fish that were stealing catches.

Windward server?

If you're interested the server is called "Sea of Smug". No password

So anons, which is the best aquatic themed OST?

Comfy boat home/hubs are top tier.
What is best boat and why is it loli neko slave powered dromon?

I always liked the underwater versions of stages. Banjo Kazooie has some nice ones.

Dolphin blue was fun, even though the only time I played it was on a somewhat broken arcade cabinet. It sucks that it won't get at least one more game.

I want Elite: Dangerous but with sailing ships. Mercantile endeavors, bounty hunting, piracy, smuggling. Anything like that?

might not be edible

I haven't played any pirate MMO but there are some single player games with that sorta style. Sid Meier's Pirates is sorta close, but a bit basic and may leave something to be desired. Maybe Age of Pirates/Sea Dogs series might be closer to that but I'm not personally familiar with them.

Subnautica's actually having a live stream of their release in about 25 minutes
twitch.tv/subnautica
It's from some aquarium, hopefully there will be some interesting fish to look at because these events never have announcers that aren't cringey as fuck

Again, this build was from just a month ago. Given that I still find bugs from ages ago in the latest builds, I highly doubt the Subnautica devs are going to be able to put out a game that's not riddled with game breaking or just infuriating bugs.

Don't forget a save file that takes up multiple gigabytes. Still can't even fathom how that's possible.

This is literally my favorite PS2 title, really worth a try if you enjoy this kind of game. There were quite a few like it for the PS1 and PS2, mostly remained extremely niche and kept in Japan.

It's really a fucking shame, cause the the concept of the game is rather unique. I still can't really bear to play it after I just binged it for 24 hours and just got burnt out on all the shitty upkeep the survival sim genre has.

japanese fisherman game when

This is quite an interesting stream if I may say so.

That's a good point. Even with all the tech and farming to streamline eating and drinking, it's still WAY too demanding. It should decrease at a much slower rate in the first place, and any good survival game should start phasing out the basic survival stuff once you reach deeper into the mechanics. Plate spinning is part of the fun of survival, but not if the task is just petty annoyance.

And that's why I always play on freedom mode. I got sick of having to feed my guy half the time I'm playing.

I mean the food and water was quite forgiving, but the electricity costs and build costs if stuff got broken just made me not want to bother exploring, which is the biggest sin an exploration game can make. And finding all the blueprints for the tech was just flat annoying.

I think it would be great to make a chart of good ocean games since everyone loves graphics. I started work on compiling a list, anyone want to help by listing any tropical/ocean games they know? Just list anything vaguely related you know of, and we can quality control afterwards.

pastebin.com/GDzu3Jcd

Also how was that ABZU game? Is it any good?

Am I the only one that fears swimming in games? I go really deep irl but ingame all I can do is look around the water to see if anything is coming for me.

lol retard

still the most fun pirate game to date
what else people recommend of the likes,
I'm still creating courage to fully go into Sea Dags

its a good game, but playing all the content in parcel kinda ruins it, better just to lay it down and wait for release

what exactly aren't you pleased with?

Video related.

Also add the Spongebob games (At least Battle for Bikini Bottom and The Movie game). Both of those are good and very nautical nonsense.

The terrifying part is the best part user.

I was hoping for a more serious/slightly harder sci fi take on the alien ocean, with more care placed into the designs of the ayy lmaos and their lore. Instead of just "shark with 3 eyes" and "sea dragon". Look at some of the early Subnautica concept art, the ones at the bottom by Pat Presley.

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Concept_Art

Uncharted Waters, by Koei. You get your lot of pirating, trading and exploring around in a naval based RPG. Sadly, only the first two and the MMO exists in English

post yfw there will never be a game where you play as a elderitch abomination and destroy boats

I remember back when I played roblox as a kid there was a pirate ship battle minigame where you duked it out with drivable and destructible ships, cannons, guns, and swords until one of your ships completely sunk underwater and the entire enemy team drowned to death. It was a blast but im too old for that shit now.
Anyone of you guys ever played puzzle pirates or pirates of the carribean online? I used to see advertisements for those all the time as a kid.

Holy shit I've never heard of this series at all, I'll check it out, this seems right up my ally. Piracy games are fantastic.

I think the closest thing is Jaws Unleashed, but that's just a shark. Also I heard it's since become a youtube bait game sadly.

I remember when Pirates of the Caribbean Online was a thing, I heard it was fun but I never played it.

Is someone gonna post bikini girls or what.

I got you, fam.

There are 6 scenario in Uncharted Waters: New Horizon, and while only one is openly about piracy, you can pretty much tell the game to leave you alone with the story and go free roam with any of the playable characters, so be warned. Some are even entirely combat free!

Do these games count?

no

thanks fam

where are the games at?
these sailing threads always die off way too quickly

on another note, I just found this game game out
basically another pirates MMO, but from this footage it seems pretty comfy and fun
twitch.tv/videos/221956416

I wish this game was in 3D. With a competent team it would turn into Hunt for Red October: The Game, trying to maintenance your sub while plotting your course during the one second you turn on sonar, navigating through subterranean oceans using only the ambient sound of your engines reverbating off the cavern walls.

Were any of these ever good?

Those ladies better slip slop and slap or they'll regret it.

that's one creepy crawlie

fuck I remember having some good times with Holla Forums on that.
does anybody still play it?

Those games look as if they became more and more shit over time.

That game looks interesting! When did Holla Forums play it? Are we ever going to do it again?

The only thing that can cure my fear of the deep ocean is by being something from the depths of another dimension. I want this game so bad

Anyone heard anything about the new Aquanox?

I couldn't get into the 2nd one due to the baby back bitch protagonist.

yes, and subs still never make it past starting dock because of trolls. basically the same problem EYE has

I played pirates caribbean online when it existed, even bought the pass you needed to buy any of the good boats. You basically just rallied random people to be your crew, then pillaged other ships while meekly running from the much bigger, more angry ships

source on the first pic?

man o war is kinda like sea dags except has boarding that doesn't block your entire view of seeing beyond your botes walls

is that man-o-war warhammer?
it does look good and I heard good things
but the fantasy setting really puts me off big-time

to be fair everything else really seems to have into the game with high fidelity
that bottom art though is pretty vague and abstract

Goliath Groupers are a protected species, so it would be illegal to.
They are also known as Jewfish.

I saw there was a beta of sorts and it was for the multiplayer mode.

How do you feel OP that ramming is now a valid naval tactic again?

I've seen this image for almost a decade, but I never fully understood it. Does the loli spit her drink out laughing at that comment, or is she disgusted by it somehow? Is it such a shitpost that you'd spit your drink out just looking at it?

Only subhumans like being in a cancer-inducing regions

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=40738271

Based off of NPCs from Etrian Odyssey 3.

I was mainly referring to the very last line of art, the black and white. I didn't realize until shortly after they were all done by Pat, my bad. I was just hoping for a more alien and "played straight" underwater game, I wasn't too happy they took it in a more cartoonish art direction. And stuff like the fire breathing sea dragon is silly. I would've loved if they tried to make the wildlife more grounded, with more attention paid to how the animal would work, how it'd behave, how it evolved and what its related to, and so on, as opposed to making an alien fish that looks cool.

Also it bugs me that they picked the absolute most bland names for all the fish in the game. The pirahna fish are called Biters, the shark that lives in the sand is called a Sand Shark, they could've done much more there alone.

Just played Subnautica for the first time two days ago, and I think its a solid horror game. Seeing an alien life form way out in the water and not knowing its properties is the right kind of scary.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

We started playing around v4.0 and stopped sometime around v5.3. There have been two major updates since, and it looks like that includes a fuckload of content and netcode updates.
Looking through the changelog, these
make looking at the game again more than worth it. I don't know if we can rally the same amount of attention to the game as we did before, but it'd probably definitely be fun.

Rollin

Supposedly the devs are going to revamp melee combat eventually.

I kind of want to be a Butt Pirate. Any games that let me do that?

Has anyone played Nantucket? I keep seeing it recommended to me on $team but I haven't taken the time to pirate it yet.

She lol'd. What don't you get? You ever lol after drinking something? You usually spit it out, and she looks mad that she did that.

I'm 90% sure it's not even a predator, but I refuse to get anywhere near it.

The noises it makes really do not fucking help either.

i watched some gameplay, the game is a bunch of dicerolls and you can save the game whenever.

there is a permadeath mode that autosaves after every encounter and event

To be fair, it's whale noises. Whales not known for their ruthless aggression.

Those are actually the most passive and nice things in the game. The closest you can get to being in danger near them is if some of those poison plants grow on their backs. I usually use them as like a safety buoy when I'm swimming out in scary places.

Reefbacks are your friends.

There is an unofficial mod in the works. The lead dev of the game was quoted as saying "I have no idea how they're doing it [sic]"

So what're saying is that it's the even shittier version of RNG games where having bad luck will make you start over entirely.

What are we, back in fucking 2006?

That video is fake

yeah those are orcas

is it though?

like everyone said, they're soothing whale noises
wait till you hear the screeching of the damned

1 is the only one with even a hint of difficulty.

How did World of Warships get popular yet Battlestations Midway die?