Hey Holla Forums, I'm looking for a particular type of game

Hey Holla Forums, I'm looking for a particular type of game.

I just finished pic related (it's an early access game, damn good but campaign isn't finished.)

What are some extremely atmospheric fps games, preferably with a dark occult settings?

So far I've played:
Painkiller Black
Dusk
I'm fixing to try Clive Barker's Undying or System Shock II.

I tried Blood, love the style, atmosphere, and campy one-liners, but I can't get into the 2.5D style games because of the heavy auto-aim. Blood unfortunately doesn't really play well without auto-aim since the free-look is shit even with bmouse. I spent a few hours trying to configure it but gave up.

Any recommendations/shills? Also are there any 3d games with a similar atmosphere/style as Blood/Dusk?

Other urls found in this thread:

quaddicted.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

are you memeing or have you never played Quake

Lets just assume he is not including quake because it's the obvious choice

Forgot to mention that, yeah I played Quake when I was younger but thinking about it I don't remember shit about either game, so I'll revisit those.

Thanks for the reminder

well, i recommend getting quakespasm and visiting quaddicted.com/ where you have many diff themed maps

Hell yes, thank you!

System Shock II is great but it's one of those games that I think doesn't always stick the first time. Give it a spin, try not to concern yourself with builds too much and don't push it if you aren't feeling it. Probably took me 3 or 4 prods at the game before I actually finished it (and ended up loving it).

As other anons have mentioned, Quake is also an excellent choice, as well as the STALKER series and Metro games. FEAR is a really top notch shooter with really tense atmosphere, especially if you like TECHNOLOGY. Lastly, I would say the mod Underhell you can get on moddb. It's an amateur passion project from 5 years ago that, while lacking focus and being rather goofy in a high school student film kind of way, offers one of the better man vs zombie experiences in any game I've played, and the guns feel better than any game I've ever played that was on Source Engine. Especially that delicious shotgun.

If you want to play Blood, use BloodGDX. It's not perfect but its pretty damn good.

Maybe Necrovision? The slavs will save vidya.

You could try KISS: Psycho Circus, it's a bitch to get working on modern OSes, and I couldn't really get into it when I finally did get it working, but if/when you run out of actually good quality stuff, you could try that.

Undying is very fun and I definitely liked it a lot more than System Shock 2 for its atmosphere, SS2 is such a clunky shooter that I had a lot of trouble being able to appreciate the horror because I was tackling with transplanted RPG mechanic which I've never really enjoyed in my shooters, whereas Undying had the gameplay and world work very well together and progression came from what the world did to you and gave to you, instead of allocating stat points. Undying is also much more occult, whereas SS2 was kinda half scifi half occult.
Was that the indie shooter that came out recently? I was thinking of trying it but the way it was all pumping itself up over being like old shooters kind of put me off and made me feel like it didn't really have any merits of its own.
Like suggested, if you play a sourceport it feels much better, I played with BloodCM and it felt a lot like gzdoom, only issue was a frustrating amount of input lag. How does BloodGDX compare?
You're really missing out though, because for these kind of gritty, occult horror shooters, Blood is definitely the cream of the crop.

I CAN STEAL YOUR SOUL
IF THE BLOOD RUNS HOT
My favorite level was probably the blood river level, it just seemed to be the last point where the game was trying to really be WW1 horror and doing it very well. Everything after that kinda just falls apart and turns into painkiller, a really fun painkiller, but still just painkiller.

I beat the first episode the other day and have been pecking away at the second. The first episode was very Build-y, reminded me a lot of Redneck Rampage and the city levels from Doom 2, lots of wide-open spaces with buildings you travel between to get cards to progress. It can turn into a first-person danmaku at times. The second episode starts getting a little more industrial and more like Half-Life 1, but I haven't gotten all the way through yet so I can't tell you if it remains that way or veers into some other territory. The visual design is like a cross between Quake and Blood, between the blocky low-poly models and textures, and the theme of the game.

Even with all of the comparisons, the game's still built really smart. Levels are pretty well built, new items, guns, and enemies are all introduced at a familiar clip, the guns feel good and, for the most part, are well tuned so that every weapon is worth a damn in different situations (although the Super Shotty still reigns supreme as my favorite general-use weapon), and it seems to have Quake III-style strafejumping, which can be useful in some of the more open areas to cover ground faster. It feels like I'm picking up speed doing it, anyway, it's kinda hard to say for sure, but I've seen people doing it in the few Duskworld that are out there, so I'll go on good faith that it's a thing.

I'm pretty happy with what I've played so far. Dusk seems like a game a bunch of dudes who played too much Quake and Build games made because they were looking for something fresh. Only downside I'm seeing is that they'll get lazy and, instead of releasing a proper level editor a la Radiant or Hammer, they'll release some queer shit you import into Unity to make levels instead. I ain't making a Unity account to use the Unity engine just to make meme levels, especially when shit like Trenchbroom is retardedly easy to pick up compared to Unity + a 3d modeler. Other than that, it's been a good candidate for GOTY for me already, and I'm cautiously optimistic about the shit coming when it leaves Early Access. Wish I could try the multiplayer without dropping 20bux on it, though, but the campaign so far has been fun enough that even potential developer shiestiness hasn't immediately nixed it like some other things that have come out recently.

I'd say it's at least worth a try, not much to lose from grabbing it from IGG.

Arcane Dimensions mod for Quake
Look it up, there was a news about Quake mod having the biggest map in it, it was about new update to Arcane Dimensions

"I bought an early access game"
Go out into the street and get shot

GREZZO 2

this so much
anyone who buys an early access game deserves the eventual
"lsorry we cant finish game LOL XDDDD thnx 4da munny dummy"

How do you know he didn't pirate it?

If you bought Dusk consider suicide for helping fund a antifa game and supporting sjws

It's pretty fun, there isn't quite anything like it when you compare it to other shooters execution-wise (the closest match perhaps being Marathon) as no other shooter (with the exception of Descent which is its own thing and Serious Sam which rather throws a shitload of enemies rather than projectiles at you) really throws this many projectiles at you with such speed. The sliding move helps to slide you under projectiles which feels rather cool when you pull it off. It's why as you can see in the WebM it's possible to play the highest difficulty where you can't take a single hit (with the dubious exception of explosion splash damage and environmental damage) as there's no hitscan to speak of. Weapons are fairly well balanced and pack some punch, even though they're mostly standard. There's also a mode where you start off each level with the default loadout like pistol starts in Doom, and the levels are actually balanced around such starts here.

The levels themselves can be quite varied, ranging from explorathons, Painkiller-like large open fields, very tight quarters, Quake-ish vertical clusterfuckery, and the second episode features more environmental storytelling in the vein of System Shock/HL1, so you'd be hard-pressed to say that all the levels feel the same. The only really gripe I have is that often I feel is that some more enemies could have been placed in certain spots, especially when I find myself backtracking but only a bare minimum of enemies teleports in the way I got in, but other than that it's neat. It's not the kind of game where it constantly relies on referencing older shooters, but it does try to do its own thing with the occasional reference here and there. There's some inevitable similarities given the inspiration, but it stand out enough on its own, I'd say.

Not that the game wasn't already shit, but fuck things can get worse.

why couldn't they get good artists for the game? It looks so bad. Look at any new Quake 1 level and they're using textures that meet the specifications of the original game from 1996.

I heard NecroVision was good. Haven't played it yet.

Metro:Last Light
That vampire cowboy game.

If you're looking at Quake the first thing to try is Arcane Dimenisons, the maps in it are boner inducing and it adds loads of neat enemies.

Fighting rednecks isn't anything new user.

Hard West?

No, darkwatch.

Undying is pretty good, has some fairly creative weapons and combat. Felt like it had one of the more interesting campaigns of the time as far as FPS go.

Shit like that makes me think they don't even know what the fuck they're making.

Isn't that just a shitty on-rails shooter?

I don't know what the fuck is going on here

Haha, faggot. Are you sure you've played any of that yourself or just googled some images to claim you have?

Keep trying to fit in fagboat.

geez I wonder where the SuperHot (((developers))) got their ideas from

I cant be bothered to promote or show others Dusk when new blood interactive are also publishing some shitty commie game.

ow snap nigga you savage

Funny you should make this thread, OP. I too played Dusk recently and was left with a crave for more shooting.

I never played Doom 1/2 so now I'm doing that. Currently in the second chapter of Doom 1 with gzDoom since non WASD is intolerable (just up the difficulty to rebalance). I was worried it wouldn't hold up to modern standards but it turns out it's really fun. I see now why people hated nuDoom: the maze levels are half the fun, and tons of non spawning enemies the other.

You're a sensitive faggot, aren't you? Don't buy Early Access though

That's a guy from the publisher, New Blood. The maker is David Szymanski.

This game isn't a classic. They took this from SuperHot, most likely. (to show off their animation interpolation tech apparently because they never use it again).

Welcome to Mark's Holla Forums

most overrated POS game to ever exist

Your filters gave me anger

Meh, I just wanted WASD and resolution. I left gzDoom on default.

What if the game ends up giving the message that violent revolution backfires? Probably not but why not give them the benefit of the doubt? Also, fuck the publisher, it's the studios that matter. The Dusk guy isn't at fault.