Thief PTSD Thread

>Download Thief Gold (gog version)

>end up loving the game because of how you really have to use your brains and actually offers you a challenge unlike other (((Stealth))) Games

I think this is the best shit i´ve ever had since Deus Ex the OG

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143659
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Chai_Market
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You never mentioned the haunt.

dont want to spoil it for the new players but
I actually run past him and grabbed the Mystic´s Heart then the game tp´d me back to the entrance

One thing I think I noticed about playing Thief, there are multiple instances of certain obscure loot that can appear in locations across a map, and they will disappear depending whether or not you collected its duplicate. It's incredibly subtle(to me, at least), and I don't think I would have noticed it if I hadn't played the first few levels a dozen or so times.

My guess for why this was implemented was either to increase variety of finding loot in different locations or minimizing backtracking to an far away area if you wanted all treasure in a level.

one of the coolest things about the bonehoard is the horn of quintus which has persistent howl that permeates the entire lower caverns soundscape. As you get closer to it, the noise becomes more noticeable until you're finally in the chamber and its at its full howl. Once you grab it you're bound to notice the room goes silent but what you may not notice so bluntly is the change in the lower bonehoard's lower half, the entire soundscape has changed. It's a great game and really makes me miss a time where western developers put in a lot of effort and little details in their level designs.

Deus Ex is nice but there's really no comparison to Thief.

When you get to the Thieves' Guild mission if it starts to feel fucking terrible feel free to skip it.

This, the mission sucks. I forced myself through it when I played it but if you dislike it enough just skip it

Also, not only is the map design awful and maze like, the objectives have to be done in a very specific order and it introduces gameplay elements that are nowhere else in the entire game, or mentioned ever.

Something added in Thief (((Gold)))

Yes, well aware. Just thought to mention because that's what OP is playing. The other T:G missions are okay.

This, it's one of the bonus missions added, and it's a massive difficulty spike for no reason. I didn't believe people and thought they were exaggerating but it's actually really shit, at least for your first playthrough, especially if the first time you're playing on Hard like you should.

I didn't even realize it was possible to skip missions until recently.

Actually i am currently in that mission (havent started it yet tho) after finding the last 25 gold (i got it from a silver nugget that i found in the tunnels) i beat "Assasins" (wich compared to the Craigsleft and Bonehoard Levels it was a piece of cake)

I dont want to skip anything tho i want to beat the game full vanilla on hardest difficulty to be honest the game deserves to be played and respected like that

Thieves guild is only shit because they hide a very important object in a secret with no notes or anything of where it might be.

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass unless you know some stuff about the level firsthand.

I doubt there has ever been any game to come close to the tension and anxiety Thief can produce. Some levels later on really kicks up the adrenaline.

I hope OP bumps the thread as he progresses. He hasn't even gotten to the really good and fun levels yet.

One of the things I really appreciated in Thief 2 was that they did away with all those shitty tomb raider levels

Fuck you are right about how tense the game can get i was constatly on the edge of my seat during Craigsleft
i will update on my progress through the game

So far im at the Thieve´s guild mission but havent started it yet (as i mentioned in a previous post)

song of the caverns is amazing, for example.

That one mission in TDS (you know which one) was the only time in my life when I was scared by video/movie/whatever. Beating that mission took me almost as many days as beating the rest of the game because I couldn't play for more than a half an hour per day. And that fucking attic…

thank god others found it fucking shit, its way too big compared to the other levels and its just kinda boring. too long, too complicated, uhh. like a level out of thief 2 more than anything

Stay away from my face, thief, or you'll be sorry.

Thieves Guild is not that bad. Only shit thing about that level is what pointed out. Just listen to guards conversations and use compass and you will get through that level without any problems.

Reference Checked

You know that sage isn't a downvote, right?

i am saging because i am not adding anything relevant to the post (ie:not talking about the game or my run wich is the topic being discussed)

If you do it too much you look like you're sage bombing your own thread, despite the whole saging not being a downvote there is a psychological affect of seeing a mass number of sages.

Yes, i was sweating even on the first level as i ascended from the well up to the sleeping quarters.

If you liked Craigsleft you're in for a treat. Avoid spoilers and just enjoy a masterpiece of a game.

yeah this game is going to be a hell of a ride
its sad when you compare masterpieces like these to what the modern Vidya industry is doing

but then again why bother with it when you can keep playing older games and entrench yourself in the past?

Note that the mission was actually added in Thief Gold, strictly speaking it wouldn't be vanilla for TDP. I mean it's not that difficult it's just a trudge.

You're the one feeding newfags retard.

Grave robbery is not so different from thieving tbh.

So do I play Gold or TDP for my first time?

just play gold it's the same game with a bunch of additions there's no quite literally no point in playing the dark project

I dropped this game when I had to do the second level. I made it a good chunk of the way into the prison, then came to a fork where there was a cell block either way, and the entrances had guards looking out of windows and standing right next to alarm buttons.

I took the left path and lured the first guard out of his room, then quietly knocked him out only to be met with that shrill fucking alarm sound. I reloaded my save and did the exact same thing, but got no alarm. Excellent. I picked up his body and threw it in the stream behind the booth which set off the fucking alarm.

I really want to like this game, but that just reeked of too much bullshit to go on. Is this level just retarded or am I missing something?

Maybe you're just bad at stealth games. Have you ever played one before?

I've played Hitman to death, so much so that I know a lot of the levels and Silent Assassin strategies by heart. This was my first time going through Thief, so even though I was doing my best to remain unseen I'd still knock out guards to make my life easier in case I had to backtrack. Ghosting would be on my second or third playthrough when I felt more confident in my sense of direction.

I think I did try getting the guard to turn around while in his booth, and he did but still set off the alarm. It's been a while. Maybe there's some other way around him but I don't know the maps.

Are you certain it's that setting off the alarm and not a body you've left elsewhere being discovered?

If that's the case, it was coincidentally timed. The alarm only went off when I fucked with the guard or went in his room. I tried the same spot numerous times until it just worked, then carried on the level as usual. I saved before I made my way out, and when I went into the guard's room to check out where the stream went it set off the alarm.

It's that one particular area that's touchy, and I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem.

I was never able to finish it. That mission spooked the hell out of me.

Look up, there's a security camera in those rooms.

Thief is fucking scary. The sounds, atmosphere, the eerie darkness and the way guards move.

It's not even a horror game, maybe I'm just a pussy.

If that's what I'm thinking of the stream literally drops his body off into a pond where another guard is or it's the sound of the splash alerting another guard. I actually remember that spot in particular because of how iffy it was with knocking the guard out but it's literally the only place in the entire first 2 games it happens though so you're exaggerating a bit

Nevermind I didn't even know that

>Something added in Thief (((Gold)))
Is there a non-Gold version then? I thought that was the only viable option for first Thief.

stick with gold. there's some bad levels but also some great ones that actually fill in blanks in the story.

There's a mod that reverts the game to TDP, but getting Thief Gold+TFix+NewDark+TDPMod to run without any issues may not be worth the trouble, especially since you can just ctrl+alt+shift+end through the mission Golds added, which only really leaves The Lost City as a negative. I think everyone hates what they did to Lost City in Gold but one mission isn't enough reason for me to bother fucking with my installation.

you drowned him. he was still alive and you drowned him by tossing his body into the water.

So what's wrong with just playing TDP on its own?

Just play Gold and skip Thieves' Guild, most of the other additions/changes are either neutral or positive.

In those rooms are really hard to see security cameras. As far as I know, those are the only ones in the game as well. I think they trigger from seeing bodies as well. They hang from the center of the room's ceiling and they rotate.

Thanks, I hadn't realized that. My experience with everything besides those rooms was great, so I'll give the game another shot and keep those in mind.

Oh shit that's right, I'd forgotten they were a thing.

Has anyone here played Thief 2X? Is it any good?

Thief had really fucking good level design and atmosphere.

I had a similar issue with the Lost City. It's probably my favorite level in the original game but at the same time it was the most infuriating because I couldn't find that last shekel I needed for at least a couple hours. Then I had trouble finding the exit. It was the first time I played a game where I didn't know how to leave the level. Although that might've been because I accidentally stumbled upon the speedrunner's way to enter the level. I saw the shiny and I said to myself "I can make that jump." What a fucking mistake.

It almost doesn't feel like a fanfic, until you realize you hate the protagonist. I have nothing bad to say about the level design though.

After you're done with OG Thief, play The Metal Age. And then stop.

Thanks I'll give it a shot in that case.

Also I never understood how people got lost in the Lost City, it wasn't too difficult to navigate. The only issue I had with it was finding all the loot.
On the other hand Kidnap in T2 I didn't like very much at all.

Deadly Shadows is alright with the gold mod (or sneaky tweaker that includes it) since it removes the mid level loading screens. Still not as good as the first two, but I'm enjoying my current play through regardless.

Deadly Shadows is worth trying and The Dark Mod has a TON of missions that hold up to the originals, my favourite being Volta II. Play The Dark Mod, the game deserves so much more attention.

Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

And The Builder said, 'If the foundation is weak, do you wail and gnash your teeth? Do you ask it to repour itself? Nay, you tear it down and begin anew. So shall it be with all My Children, whether they be Stone or Flesh.'

Here's a good start for TDM missions, too. I'm still adding stuff to this image.

Add "The Accountant" series by Goldwell, "Down by the Riverside" by Dragofer and "Penny Dreadful" series by Bikerdude.

I like to play missions before adding them to the image, so I'm installing The Accountant series right now. The latter two are already there.

OP here
haven´t updated in a while (i haven´t been playing thief a lot lately tho i will intensify it in the coming days)

I skipped the thieves guild due to it being Boring af and it was just running around searching for a secret door
so the next mission was The sword of constantine and oh boy it gave me hardcore "Down the Bonehoard" PTSD
Once more it was a confusing mess of unmapped rooms although i kinda found my way thanks to the tip Garret gives in the briefing

Still tho idk how the fuck i do it but i always end up finding my way to the targets even tho i cant´t memorize room layouts for shit
i either have some kind of Instinct or some Metaphysical entity is guiding me through the game or maybe garret is just sick of my crappy dungeon-crawling skills and just goes to where he has to without me noticing

Shit like this is why I prefer Thief 1 to 2, but the majority of people will tell you 2 is better because it's just a straight forward stealth game. There is still mind fuckery but it's nothing like Constantines or Down in the Bonehoard.

I liked Thief 1 for the creative levels, but I still prefer Thief 2 because I think it has less awful levels. Kidnapped! is still pretty awful the first time through. Thief 1 for story, Thief 2 for gameplay and FMs.

I definitely prefer 2 but I definitely did miss some of those1-tier levels. 1 also has the better story.

did he died

again.
After making it past the spot I thought was bugged, I just finished looting Constantine's place. That was my favorite level so far. Being lost in the hallways reminded me of the Black Lodge sequence from the original Twin Peaks finale.

As for the section I couldn't pass before, there are in fact security cameras, and you can disable them with your sword but they count as kills. I assume they're actually creatures of some kind.

Good to hear user, even I forgot about the camera that was there so it probably isn't that well signposted.
This I did not know in terms of Thief 1's camera-things (I don't think they show up again anyway).

Keep on it user.

So I've been told that Styx is like Thief and if I enjoyed Thief I'd enjoy Styx. Have I been told a lot of crap?

Is Thief 4 worth even pirating?

Probably not no though I hear you can turn off at least some of the cancer.

I'm not sure I'd say it was like Thief but Styx is fun.

It's a copy of Dishonored, which in itself is a bad copy of Thief in the first place.

Yes. The first Styx is very good, but no Thief. Good verticality, playing as a little and weak goblin is fun. The sequel sucks though. Easier and Styx is a full on wall breaking meme lord.

Obligatory

If you want to poke at how bad it is like a bad movie, go for it. The only thing decent in my experience was the hub world looting nooks. Everything else was just bad, though.
Turning off the minimap doesn't help any because levels are linear, sound isn't even used as well as 3 which only had basic directional sound to the point where they use icons over guard heads instead, and numerous other things that were mentioned in that Thief Vs AAA Gaming video.

I'm surprised everyone forgot to post these.

What is amazing to me is how f'n intense the game is. First time i played it, i was for the first time actually scared to be found out, on the first mission in the cellar of the mansion. I mean i put out every single light object, kept myself to softer floor-objects and did everything to stay away from AIs. I still remember to this day how i stayed behind a door listening to the guards footsteps for 10 maybe 15 minutes waiting for an opening to pass and suddenly he opened up the door and i flew up 2 meters from the chair i was sitting in.

No other game has come close. I don't know why, they should really fix that because if a game over 20 years old is still this played and loved it says something.

Shame that feeling goes away when you realize how poor the guards are. You can outrun them and block them if need be. It becomes a comical Benny Hill sketch or a frustrating run around until you can finally lose them.

Yeah i realised i could beat anyone in a swordfight if i just jumped around them so i could hit them in the back.

But if you play it like you're supposed to, like sneaking only it's still the best game i've ever played.

I wasn't trying to sell the game short. I get what you meant, it gets me too, despite me knowing that discovery is not the end. Thief 1/2 are still some of the best stealth games, if not the best, 20 years on. This is despite their aged features such as the AI and combat. Its a damn shame few have come close to what Thief started.

Wew page 6 noice.
Got back into it, been binging FM's from that list finished 12 of them not sure what else to play. None of the other ones look appealing and am too much of a puss to play the horror ones. I absolutley am turned off by zombies after playing Calendras Legacy, the second level is all fucking zombies it was fucking annoying.

Have you tried Deadly Shadows with the fanptach?

I didn't like DS. Dropped it at about the fourth mission. The movement is too slow and I miss that fluidity of 1 and 2.

Yeh it's an inferior experience particularly if you come into it right out of 1 and 2. The fanpatch helps though and I still manage to enjoy it now and again.

You should definately go through Deadly Shadows. It's not a bad game overall, it's just not as good as the other Thief-games.

Also, if you're a storyfag it ties up the series nicely.

Play Thief 1 classic instead of Thief Gold. Down in the Bonehoard was a hell of a lot harder in the original release, but people bitched it was too hard and they couldn't progress the game so they nerfed it in Thief Gold. You're not playing the true Down in the Bonehoard. You're playing ezmode Down in the Bonehoard.

And there's one level who might be one of the scariest levels ever produced, which is a must play.

That it does, taken together they form a nice little sorta-linked trilogy.

The fanpatch, for anyone who might need it: ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138607

Oh and that link includes the Deadly Shadows Gold mod which really improves the game, read the changes: ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143659

its a nice stealth game were you need to be stealthy to finish missions, steal shit and kill people.
You can finish all the mission with no kills and no alerts, except the tutorial because of a forced encounter, i think.
You can finish all the missions by killing all the humans and elves with no alerts, for shit and giggles.
You cant go full retarded because the enemies will just murder you
The only bad thing about the game is that sometimes it does something completely retarded with the controls and kills you, forcing you to reload a checkpoint, losing 30 minutes of gameplay.

please tell me you are kidding.

Yes, the sequel is better than the first one. They basically improved on the faults.

im receiving mix signals here.

SoD wins this one. It's basically a gorgeous UE4 tech demo in a sense. Looks fantastic. MoS by contrast has actually fairly shitty graphics.
MoS wins this one. Both have good art direction but SoD's is largely a lot more generic. MoS has this interesting sort of visual theme reminiscent of the human levels in Dark Messiah, while being its own thing. A bit hard to describe, because while it's not exactly super distinct it manages to have its own atmosphere and feel.
MoS is better. The music is more subtle and background, in fact the out-of-combat music is pretty much just faint ambience. But it gets ramped up as the story progresses and creates this great feeling of urgency and intensity towards the end even though the gameplay remains very slow-paced.
SoD's levels are more detail-rich and dense. However, they're also a lot more easy to traverse. Less challenging. I think the point here goes to MoS. You actually had to stop and think in MoS.
SoD's gameplay is smoother and more fluid. Not by a huge amount, though.
MoS has a compelling story that actually involves the protagonist as a character and not just as an anchor for the camera. It's not just better than SoD, it's better than 99% of vidya. SoD is pretty much just wandering around gathering powerups.
MoS knocks it out of the park here. It feels real, feels legitimate. The level design, the NPC conversations, everything ties in together to create this picture of a massive fortress built to control the absurdly valuable resource of amber. We don't see the human empire but we can infer its existence and scope. We learn about the guards' lives, we see details about how the place is run, etc. It's done really well. SoD on the other hand feels like a bunch of disjointed setpieces with little in common. It's not that each region is portrayed badly or anything; Korrangar works pretty well on its own. Wildoran works ok on its own. That swamp town works ok on its own. But none of it feels like it's one coherent world with anything to tie it all together. MoS has a bit of an advantage here in that it all takes place in one giant fortress but still, the vastly different areas all feel like they belong to the same place and all serve a purpose of some kind.

But while we're on immersion, SoD falls flat for a particular reason above all: the godawful pop culture references. It's one thing to throw in a subtle reference to another game or something, but SoD is tossing them out all over the place like there's some kind of obligation to make a glaring reference to every single game that came out and was even somewhat stealth-related in the past two decades. And they're all Styx's inner dialogue, and they all replace his MoS lines which were still somewhat snarky but were actually good and somewhat funny.

The fourth wall breaking stuff in SoD was actually done well because it was almost always done at times when a player's immersion is broken anyways - for example, death screens, or mission instructions. Instead of a text popup saying "you must not be detected" Styx remarks "and this is another mission where I can't. be. detected. You got that?" Brief little fourth wall break. Actually kind of funny and works in the moment. It's ok. The constant pop culture references are not. They break immersion and illegitimize the world.

SoD is graphically better and more polished overally but in every other way MoS is better.

At least they're bother better than Of Orcs and Men.

I could never get into Styx. I don't know if it's the 3rd person camera or what but the game feels really clunky.

Your thread has inspired me to finally get off my ass and pick this game up. I honestly don't know how or why I never played it before, since I've always wanted to since reading about it in PCGamer magazine back in the day.
Since I have a massive fetish for Deus Ex, I loved it right away. But holy fuck.

I am so lost, holy shit. I've been running around for ages.
Thankfully I have since discovered that you can go lighspeed by bunnyhopping at the right moment.
I have also discovered that if I bunny hop around the map with the blackjack I can just one hit sneak attack almost everyone.

The atmosphere in this game is a thing of beauty. It really is immersive. I feel like the first time I was going through the wan chai market in deus ex.
Incidentally, Wan Chai Market is a real place for you to take a pilgrimage to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_Chai_Market

Glad to hear i inspired you *i am stuck at the ruined city and i haven´t played for weeks* *im just taking time to heal from the PTSD this game is giving me*

And now I actually read through the thread only to discover that every user is telling you to skip the shitty mission I'm stuck on.
God dammit.

god i should stop posting when im sleepy i managed to fuck every single spoiler i put in there

Really it should be in redtext in the OP on any Thief thread.

i guess i can ignore the pop culture references, to bad the different areas dont feel connected like in the first one, thanks for the info, user, i will give the sequel a try.

NO SKIPPING!

Skipping is fine if it's a terrible mission and particularly when it was added to the base game.

Muha, the french Thief
Ok, some of it was pure shit

That was dlc in Thief gold.

Listen to guard conversations and use your compass. First you have to go north to the northern mansion to get the key which opens the southern mansion. Then you have to go south to get the vase from the southern mansion. It's simple, really.

Gold requirements are fine, they scale with difficulty (and loot is harder to find on expert).