Which style of walljump is better, Holla Forums?

Which style of walljump is better, Holla Forums?

climbing. I love it when games space walls just that far apart that you can climb between them just a little bit and hide secrets up there

How's about having the best of both worlds with super fast wall jumps

If you can climb up one wall by jumping off of it and reversing your direction mid-air to jump off it again, it's a shitty affront to physics. If you can bounce between two walls to climb, it's fine.

This one.

Wut

Please be bait.

You don't even deserve a (you).

The first one, but ninja gaiden's walljump is a good example of having multiple walljumps in quick succession.

Tecmo always did have to be a little weird. Pronounced "Giant Toad."

NG being notable in that you actually stick to the wall on contact. You can sort of do the same thing in Terraria with two pieces of the ninja accessories equipped.

i know you guys are pretending to be retarded, but i'll post it anyways so anyone to continue this phony control cross confusion will be late to the party and look stoopid

I know it's the dpad, it's just a silly name.

not really, it makes total sense, potentially even more than directional pad

I was thinking of wall jumps in the team ninja's ninja gaiden games but that's also some good wall jumps, but wall jumps aren't exclusive to two dimensions, they can include all three axis of movement by having you run along the wall and jump to another wall.

Just like how a calling initial press of a button a half press?

Komm, is jut, is jut, Junge.
They will not understand the correctness of the Steuerkreuz.

Nintendo had a patent on the cross design for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo required devs to refer to it as such.

Depends entirely on the game. Climbing with walljumping in N was the best because it was a core mechanic. Walljumping out of a pit in New Super Mario Bros is gay as shit and it saps a lot of difficulty out of an already easy game.

Sounds plausible but no. Nintendo called it the control pad even when SMB was first released.

The Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy did that quite well.

What in the world does up do then? Has it ever been discovered?

The name Nintendo would settle on is the Directional Pad, and the patent is specific on the build of it with the ball divot inside to manipulate the shift over the buttons underneath. Other companies merely changed where the ball rests inside the mechanism enough to not infringe on the patent. Even the Dreamcast had the cross shape pad but had different housing since it was still during the patent period (pre-2005)

Up is only used to climb up those hidden vines to the cloud bits in the game. My guess they wanted to keep the vines a secret to not spoil that. If you mentioned up is used to climb up things but there's nothing normally that you can climb up on, you would meticulously look for something you can.

This is the only correct answer, as character movement abilities inform level design. Every Mega Man X game would be broken if you had to use Mario's wall jump. Every Mario game would be broken if you could use X's wall jump. Though I tend to prefer using X's style.

I love how really old games could make a silly mystery out of the most basic things.

A wall jump that starts off perfectly vertical, but with each sub-sequent walljump the angle becomes more and more horizontal untill reaching 45 degrees.

Everybody loves a fun mystery.

So what's the mystery for the 2nd pic?

It's another up button use. In Gunstar Heroes, holding the up button when pressing the jump button gives you a jump with an apex that's about one body height higher than normal. It's not necessary to finish the game, but makes certain platforming feats possible, and others easier. In the example picture, while fighting that miniboss, you can get onto the high tension wire above him to dodge most of his attacks.

The instruction manual doesn't mention it in the D-Pad description, and it's not like it's a secret they were trying to avoid spoiling, because it completely spoils that there's a spaceship. In the unlikely event that you accidentally do encounter it, it's a subtle enough difference that you're likely to not notice it, and if you do notice, you'll be left wondering why you have inconsistent jump heights.

Mirror's Edge walljump.

Spyro's walljump is pretty cute

The wall jumping in Battle for bikini bottom/ movie game was kinda funny.

The first one is the cuhrayziest

This one by far. Climbing a wall is fun but being able to use the wall to get a burst of momentum is one of the things that made SM64 so enjoyable. I was disappointed when they gimped the wall jump in Odyssey though the new additions like rolling and cap jumps make up for it

Ninja Gaiden Black wall running.

64's wall jumping is god tier
Odyssey is trash for this alone. Not to mentioned the other dumbed down movement mechanics.

dpad? control cross? Am I living in some looney land? The fucking thing is called the push-plus. That's what almost every instruction manual calls it. I know I'm being trolled right now and I just took the bait but I can't help it.

Mario 64

How

Easy when you don't weight much and you have claws that create a lot of friction/grip. Cats are born to climb trees you know.

the one with the dog doing it was more amusing

It's a cat, retard. What do you think?

It scaled on the soft layer with its claws, which might have injured it, although they grow back, and then wall jumped on the brick. Either it knew the brick was more solid or it reacted the instant its paws touched it then switched to plan B which is jumping from sides to sides while gaining height, this is what maxing agility looks like.

Cats are quite OP.

First.
If I wanted to climb a wall, I'd rather just climb it. Mono-wall jumping is for singletons who equate wearing down the jump button with skill.
The only instance jumping on the same wall takes something that marginally resembles skill would be if there's a hazard running vertically that you'd need to time in order to avoid it. Which is not a proof of skill but a waste of my fucking time.

Why not both?

Was about to post this.

Cat simply didnt want to get mugged.

Rolling is nothing more than a low energy, more cartoony replacement for diving that honestly seems like a dig at sonic team, and cap jumps entirely replace the wealth of movement options available to mario with a single all-purpose routine that's far better than everything else you can use, raising the skill floor by practically removing choice

Are you telling me you can't scale vertical walls when trapped in a small place with a shirtless black man?

Because otherwise that cat would have been UMA DELICIA

Say no more

How about a compromise where you can partially run up a wall and do a double jump to do it again but must land to recharge the double jump, but it is preferred to jump wall to wall like in the first example.

You can jump off of walls indefinitely, it's just that you can only jump back onto the wall from the air once (unless you hit an enemy which refreshes it).

Nice wall jumps you have there. It would be a shame if something were to get in their way.

OP meant climbing on one wall, not two.

I was thinking of X's Wall Jump even before seeing he was the second OP pic. X by far.