Games that don't hold up

Just slogged through finishing this, do people still look at this game with nostalgia glasses or have people accepted how truly fucking bad this game actually is?

I was disappointed finishing this, are there any other games from your past that don't hold up any more?

All GTA games that aren't Vice City or GTA IV are incredibly boring. It's weird, I used to love all of them when I was a kid, but nowadays I find VC and IV to be the only playable GTA games.

I'm on board with you. The Underground series was amazing but Most Wanted onward were just dull garbage.

There's a lot of games that have aged like milk. The most recent example in my opinion is any Source game. TF2, L4D, Dota, the Source engine is unplayable garbage by today's standards.

I think all of the GTAs prior to IV are awful to play. Yes, Vice City included. Not because they're bad games, but because Renderware is so fucking dated, and the camera/driveby freedom in IV onward is a game-changer. Going back to San Andreas after IV was incredibly jarring, and I just couldn't get into it again.

Saints Row 2 is another that has held up horribly. Looks/feels/plays like a San Andreas mod. Awful engine with even worse optimization. It's a shame when my favorite games are unplayable turds as the standards in mechanics change.

What's wrong with L4D? The gunplay and physics still hold up really well.

Vice City might have equally bad gameplay as 3 and SA, but I keep coming back because I really enjoy the mission structure and humor. I think VC has the tightest and most non-linear missions among all GTA games. 3 and SA have neither good gameplay or design, that's why I hate them.

L4D is probably the game least affected by how dated Source is, but I feel like for the similar experience, I'd just play Killing Floor instead.

I really like the older GTAs, and I definitely agree in that the mission structure and humor of them are spot-on, I think they just mechanically play like shit, especially since IV has made me aware of how limiting the camera is in the prior games. I know it will never happen, but I would love to see those games remade with R*'s current tech.

kill yourself nigger

All racing games have rubberbanding, run into cop cars on their rears instead of their fronts and you'll get through just fine, clearing the blacklist is the entire point of the game.

I get it if you don't like old racing games user but jesus.

listen here you faggot i would honestly and unironically pay full AAA price for San Andreas in IV or V's engine

SA was shit, but VC, say no mo fam.

I hate this new meme about VC being better than SA only because "muh niggers" or "muh aesthetics".

Like said, VC has simply better mission design than SA and as much as I prefer SA because of its map design, I agree with him.

Now I will get shit for saying all that, but I still love the games. Its just a shame that no one or very few, tried to carry on what Thief started. Stealth games have regressed instead of getting better.

What do you think about The Dark Mod?

My biggest gripe about GTA III and VC are the controls. Funnily enough the PC port controls were an afterthought but I have an easier time playing them because the mouse controls at least give me smoother turning, the controls are fucking atrocious on a gamepad where I'd keep falling into the water trying to get the packages on those tiny ruined wooden houses, it's like those games were created by people still not aware of what a second analog stick can do, SA is still somewhat playable today because of the free camera and 3D movement at least.

Since this is rapidly turning into an unpopular opinions thread lets just say it.
Thief is a pretty bad game series.
The first mission of the first game is kinda alright and then it takes a nosedive with zombies and shit.
As you already pointed out, why does Garret wear tap dancing shoes that make the loudest possible sound whenever he takes a step?

Have to get around to it again. Only played it very briefly once a few years ago. Currently I'm on Deadly Shadows but I'm not sure I will jump in with the DM after nearly a month of Thief. We'll see.

Thief 1 has about a third of the game be those type of missions. It was the first game so it was experimental. Thief 2 is almost all proper stealth missions. You missed out on one of the best missions in either game as well with Assassins.

L4D shouldn't be in this thread simply because the game was shit when it came out and the gunplay is absolute trash. You just mindlessly mow down endless hoards of zombies that can only chip away at your health with the only threat being super enemies that sneak up on you to hold you down as a gimmick to force teamwork. They all have dramatic death animations that make it hard to tell the exact moment they're dead and all the guns sound paper thin. As opposed to zombie panic or killing floor (the mod came out before l4d) where all the enemies pose some sort of serious threat. Even the basic enemy in killing floor can fuck you up simply because they hold you down until you kill them. THE WEAKEST ENEMY IN THE GAME DOES WHAT A SUPER ENEMY DOES IN L4D.

The only redeeming factor of L4D is the gamemode that lets you play as zombies, but even that has devolved into just memorizing all the places you can oneshot players as the charger.

Everyone just wanted to copy metal gear's wall hugging system instead of building off Thieves so the genre was doomed.

Found the newfag

I said it takes a nosedive right after the first mission, I didn't say i played the first mission and then quit.
Thief 2 doesn't do away with the awful design choices such as shit shoes and bad level design.

L4D2 is good though, I'd say better than Killing Floor because it wasn't transformed into a weapon and skin DLC fiesta and there's no leveling system.

You can save yourself out of clot grabs is the difference between Special Infected. Overall, a lot of games play like L4D with a different skin.

I'd say Killing Floor as the game itself was decent.
However, a lot of people seriously sucked at it and it was annoying as hell getting complete shitters playing the highest difficulty because they think they will level faster.

In retrospection the skins DLC really got out of hand. Tripwire had a lot of goodwill at the time releasing seasonal events and new updates. The existing players perceived buying skins as tips.

I can't play either L4D or Killing Floor anymore after getting into arena shooters however.

0/10 bait

Police car physics is consistent across police car, traffic cars are another thing entirely so why would you expect them to behave the same?

The rest isn't worth addressing

Reminder that TF2's optimization gets irreparably worse with every update because the engine is buckling from the sheer number of files the game now has. Where were you when hats killed a game's performance?

I always preferred UG1 to both UG2 and MW.

This is true but Vice City is also garbage. 3, VC, and SA all have the worst gunplay to ever exist, not only extremely unsatisfying but very clunky and overall complete shit, and aside from the gunplay they're fucking boring and only novelty shit, nothing worth talking about. GTA IV is pretty much the only game Rockstar ever made with satisfying gunplay due to the use of the physics engine and nice weapon sounds. GTA 5 was a major step back because weapon damage was reduced but accuracy increased which feels like shit, not to mention the physics engine was nerfed hard for no reason. Pretty much all open world game suffers from these issues, linear is the way to go and fuck you if you disagree.

I replayed GTA IV recently expecting it to be boring trash like I thought it was, but I found myself pleasantly surprised by the fact that shooting a human being actually felt satisfying and not so dull I wanted to alt f4 and never touch it again. This is with the fix for recoil and spread of course, on PC all guns in GTA IV with a keyboard + mouse have perfect accuracy and recoil by default because it's a shitty port.

Guns have literally no recoil whatsoever unless you're using a scoped sniper, everything works with weapon spread which makes it feel like you're shooting bb guns. Also, L4D2 has nothing resembling a physics engine like HL2, and HL2's physics engine was also novelty shit that not only added nothing to gameplay but often inhibited it when you walked over a can of soda which halted your progress of running away from the 10 soldiers shooting at you. All source games aside from CS have this issue, they have no recoil outside of the screen shaking (and it always resets for the next shot.)

Either bait, reddit or discucker.

Best NFS game coming through just don't play the PSX version.

Unless they're on high alert then it's because of Tfix, unless you like living dangerously and risking a bug that could pretty much make your PC unusable you'll have to live with the twitchy guards.
I find you being upset about the lack of wearing slippers as if that's bad level design pretty silly though because that is the level design, the noisy floors is one of the ways the difficulty of the game is controlled if anything you're not supposed to be able to waltz across the floor like that and you're supposed to use moss and take risks.

man, if the remaster turns out to be shit then i lose all hope for video games. theyre all starting to get boring anyway

Ever heard of modded versus servers ?

Pretty much every isometric game. Some people can cope with that viewing angle, but many others frankly find it unintuitive.

You might as well kill yourself now, it's completely different from the original game.

(OP)
No shit, you learn after playing for 5 minutes that cop cars are weighted to fuck to make them a real danger that you can't just plow through.

A few months ago everyone jacked off about how VC had the best "atmosphere" until anons rightfully pointed out that VC is the worst in the series because the only thing it has going for it is the aesthetic of the 80s, which is just accomplished by copy pasting style with no creativity whatsoever. Now we have the same amount of anons praising it for something entirely different than "atmosphere" to pretend they have good reason to like the game.

The fuck kind of complaint is this? This is just bitching about muh realism and has nothing to do with good design, stop pushing it so hard.

I think Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed/2000 is one of the best sim-cade style racers out there. Too bad it's nothing but Porsches.
Anyways, obligatory HL2 post.

Been saying this for years.

The NFS2 was a fun arcade-game. It was easy to get into and the cars weren't too realistic in mind so they were all fun to drive.

What are you, 12? GTA2 was amazing.

I've only played the PC version and it's way too easy. The PS version seems to have actual challenging AI based on what I've seen and read about it.

haha every game because none of them were ever good haha give me upboats and karma r/4chan xDDDDDD

The PSX version is the inferior version, play the PC version instead.

Just played through this horrible shitfest, what a serious fucking meme. I literally had to put the game down several times because I was about to explode in rage.
(I played through the game co-op with a friend). I read a lot about how this game was "SO FUCKING GOOD + BEST STORY".
I can only agree on the story though, from it's time the story was and still is fairly decent probs for that. But the gameplay… I can't even.
Earlygame was fine and everything seemed reasonably balanced. But at the endgame i nearly gave up.
System shocks 2 endgame is not "hard" it's just the most cheese positioned enemies and if that's not enough it's just LOADS of them or respawning enemies that spawns in your face and damages you instantly. (Or jellyfish that only die for 5 seconds before "reappearing").
I have no idea why people loved this game so much, maybe the multiplayer just scaled the game out of normal parameters but i certainly had a shitty fuggin time with this videogame.

But I did. I beat both games all on Expert (except Thieve's Guild, I skipped that shit). RttC allows you run but you do have to fight most things due to being cramped. Then you have to deal with the lame combat .

Me too, bro.
if I were to have any GTA remade with IV/V's tech, it would be GTA 1.

pls R*.

The controls are shit. Tank control sucks. The cars are also too fast for a top down view game.

Is that Travis from Taxi Driver?

VC was okay, SA was a step up because of the sheer amount of options and features added on in comparison to VC.
3 is easily the worst GTA game.

And most of them were useless. Also, the missions became slower and more linear somehow, and the textures looked like shit.

Anything that normalfags like
/thread/

Mafia is a garbage, unfun, boring game with poorly thought out camera controls and gunplay. Just recently played through it and man, just everything about it is bad. Where should I start
tl;dr Driving is slow & boring, gunplay is shitty, and both make up the entire game. Not to mention plot is worse-than-Mafia II-tier, or the that the voice acting is ridiculously, laughably bad. Some of the problems I had with it were just results of my stupidity On The Whore mission after I jumped out the window, I had 1 health left and thought the game reduced me to that. Spent three hours to get through the cops and the church. or On the very last mission I didn't go to/couldn't find/forgot the gun store and I did the entire thing with weapons I picked up off the enemies but again that's on me. Game is boring. Mafia II is marginally better but neither are what I'd call good.

3 stars a cuckold, VC stars a cuban shitskin and SA is niggers, none of them are very good.

Tommy is Italian, asswipe.

He already said that niggers are no good either.

This fag gets it.

Why don't you stick to talking about games you've actually played.

I thought I was the only guy who hates Mafia. Gotta say I agree with most of these reasons, here's my take though.

That's just how it was back in the 30's, I think. Cop cars were relatively fast due to their flathead V8 engine. Nowadays having a V8 isn't all that noteworthy, but back then they were the fastest among most mass produced vehicles.
Yeah, speed limit in this game is more of a chore than anything, since most of the time you drive from A to B without time restrictions. The Driver game utilized it much better, it's part of the stealth mechanic, and player have to choose between risking getting caught or getting there faster. As you said, speed limit in Mafia is more of a chore than anything, the only reason to break it is because it's fucking boring having to drive across the map.

Agreed, the issue with the cops is their vision cone isn't displayed on the map even though it's crucial for games like this.

Agreed. The gunplay is garbage, the controls are stupid, the animations are floaty, and everyone has too much health.

Not really though, its weakness is it's not very concealable. I find myself preferring the magnum sometimes, small and very powerful, with the downside of the lack of ammo.

That's not true though. There are a ton of other shits you have to do, which are all railroaded and boring as shit. In fact, I'd still appreciate the game more if the missions were nothing but "go to X and kill", that's how bad it is.

So you deny that the PS version has more challenging AI?

The only problem is Deus Ex did it better.

The PC versions have mouse look, if you weren't aware.

And the controls are still superbly shitty. You can't walk while shooting or aiming, and there's the aiming animation you have to go through everytime you have to shoot, giving your input about 1 second lag.

Also, the mouse sensitivity is absolutely terrible.

user….

I… huh?

The game wants you to advance in a somewhat deliberate pace and to think about how to tackle situations, so co-op may not be ideal for first timers. How to properly deal with the jellies is explained in the game.
That said, the gameplay definitely isn't a flawless masterpiece by any means, it isn't even remotely balanced and some builds will have tougher time with different sections.

Not sure if it counts but the Retro DK games and even the SNES Mario games had tighter controls and better hitboxes than the Rare DK games, thus making Retro DK and Mario superior to Rare DK as platformers. I had a lot of deaths in Rare DK that actually just barely touched the enemy by a few pixelsor whatever.

new vegas
mount and blade warband
CoD 4
deus ex

I think HL2 aged fine as long as you install an enb

this, I cant believe I managed to play through Sonic 3d blast or Sonic labyrinth as a kid.

I play SA regularly and it really doesn't have any problems when you set it up properly. You need to adjust your mouse's dpi to fit with whatever the game expects, but otherwise it plays fine. It's been a while since I played VC but I don't remember any glaring issues with that either.

Being a jew is even worse.

Ah, a fellow man of taste.
pic related is still fun, shame it never got a sequel.

Right, because when I go out for a drive right now I can see all cops on a minimap in my car. You're a mafioso nigger you don't break the law unless you have to and you don't have magic cop vision.

Accurate, the people with fast cars were seen to be criminals (normally moonshiners) and that's actually how NASCAR came about. Of all the things to complain about in Mafia 1 the realism of driving is the lowest on the list because it's basically a car sim with a story slapped on top.

It's a fucking videogame user, it doesn't need to be realistic, it needs to be fun.

The Mafia 1 map is tiny, if you can't handle travelling a tiny distance at 40mph then you have ADHD.
Actually I just drove over it and slowed down when I saw a cop or cop car with my eyes rather than relying on a minimap with vision cones but then I don't like my games to pander to casuals.

Doesn't make the game less shit?

That's how retarded you sounds.

If the draw distance was better and I could control the camera with mouse, I'd agree with this. Then again, there's no reason to speed in Mafia except due to boredom.

Ever played Driver? That game is like 10x harder than Mafia, but fair and not retarded.

Whatever game it is that you like, literally any of them that you hold dear. Please reply to me angrily.

Nigger if you can't be bothered to drive at a reasonable speed across a tiny map that's ADHD even at 40mph you could get across that map in maybe a minute and a half. Also really asking to have police on the minimap with their vision cones on display is casualization just assume that they can see in a cone in front of them like humans. This is the same sort of thinking that gives us mark and track in stealth games.

That's the equivalent of walking simulator. Going from A to B without any challenge whatsoever just because the game requires you to do it with no other option. I don't know how anyone could defend that kind of game design. Those are the segments that are supposed to be cutscenes.

Just try to play Driver and see how well that feature integrates into the game. Especially considering how the police cars are equipped with 440 engine while you only drive a regular pony car 90% of the time, or even a limousine in the final level of the game. This is like complaining that crosshair in a shooter game is casualization. It's casualization in a sense, but without it, a lot of games would be less fun.

But that's different. Mark and track lets you know enemies' position from literally any location you choose. Vision cone doesn't let you see beyond the small minimap.

The 'challenge' is driving there without pissing off the police and listening to a bit of dialogue for one minute tops. This is a thing in literally every game like this from Saints Row to GTA and they don't even have the 'don't break the law' element so why you'd single out Mafia is beyond me. It's also a feature in the cases where you are driving to a time limit but can't afford to have the police spot you.
Driver is an entirely different genre where you can't even get out of your car. Also even then it's a capsulized feature to be able to see the police easily instead of using your own eyes.
That's just the same thing but with a smaller radius, it's still filling in for retards because who the fuck can't see a policeman and think 'maybe he can see where his eyes are looking'.

This is more like auto-aim to be honest.

You even played the game my nigger? I can think of twice when there was dialogue while driving, and both times it was one sentence.
Kek, make it five minutes.
Both of which have cop vision cones and don't enforce a speed limit.

High Stakes is my favorite too, Hot Pursuit 2 is my second favorite. I don't like customization in nfs games.

Great taste user.

Which GTA game exactly shows cop vision cones on the minimap? In fact I'm pretty sure the 3D-era GTA games didn't show them on the minimap at all but it has been a few years.

That's one of the most story heavy games I've ever played. But listening to a bit of dialogue was not one of those issues.

There are mods to get San Andreas in IV's engine.

You're correct IV aka the point where the series went to shit was the first to show police on the minimap at all during normal play and it didn't have vision cones. Saints Row 2 did the same. is talking out of his ass and smells like a reddit or cuckchan rapefugee to me.

I've got about a hundred nasty things to say about this pile of excrement.

A game that's so overrated it some how many people forget FF7 exists because a tranny played it over and over for years to save 2 seconds on a number no one cares about on a website dedicated to wasting your life and feeling like it's an achievement.

Keep at it lad

It is incredibly overrated but FF7 is the more overrtated nostalgia game.

FF7 is at least a functional member of it's genre. You can say it's genre is shit but it still functions reasonable well at a game. You can't tell me a 20 FPS action game where you walk through empty field hubs is functional.

Hold on, you think OoT is rated so highly because of speedrunning?

Let me tell you that you're vastly overestimating the amount of influence speedrunning has over the general opinion, which is actually closer to zero.

OoT and Mario 64 were always overrated but Speedrunning made them this legendary game that sits at the top of all speedruns for no good reason.

And these days games are defined more and more by that autism than they are their own quality. When you look at Twitch new releases on the first week there's shit like "day 1 speedruns" and it's just sad. Games no longer has room to breathe, they're just dissected for a novelty number crunching game

How about a few to start, as I legit love Fallout 1 and 2.

Goldeneye and any Shooter on the N64 that isn't an arcade type game like Sin & Punishment or Robotron 64. I could barely tolerate aiming with the N64 controller back then, but now that we have dual analog controllers/Mouse+Keyboard? Fuck that shit.

on user's behalf
Not many people liked Fallout series even back then, if it wasn't for the unique dialogue and setting Fallout wouldn't sell at all.

You are right about the gun sounds besides the tier 1 shotguns

They're among the best to do speedrunning in though! You have lots of ways to break the rules, Mario 64 simply has some of the best movement in any game ever, and they're well loved by people.

Never change, Holla Forums.

Contrarian anons as always, yeah just hate everything that is popular.