Why are fighting games still going strong when other genre's of competitive gaming like Arena Shooters and RTS are dead...

Why are fighting games still going strong when other genre's of competitive gaming like Arena Shooters and RTS are dead?
I think it's because Japs and spics still play in Arcades while Koreans wont move on from Starcraft

Consoles. Console genders do not die.

What gender is my Sega Genesis?

You're real funny OP.

Sega Genderless

Because its a short, purely competitive 1v1 genre
There's not much games outside established franchises

Specifically brown

Fightans are still a niche market compared to absolute horseshit. You'd know that if you took your head out of your ass once in a while. Also smash isn't a fighter, it's a party game that tries to pass itself off as a fighter.

Even if it's niche it's still getting decently sized games made for it. Can't say the same for RTS or Arena

cage match > peek a pew pew

Didn't know not even breaking a million dollaroos is called that.
You'd have a point if shit like dota2 aren't bringing over 24 million every year and rising from prizepool alone.
Fgc at the moment is just gooks and niggers playing for a paltry sum.

-Halo Wars 2
-Total War 2
-Steel Division
All of these were released last year
Plenty more to come
Not classic RTS games but still Real Time Strategy

Congrats on dumbest post I read this week

and money for the other half of the roster, don't forget that.

Because they actually belong to a good genre.

Mrs. Deen! I know how to stop you!

Fighting games are still niche, they're no where near the level they were when sf2 and mk1 came out. Fighting games do have a really pretty passionate community though which are always hosting tourneys and promoting their games which I dont think the other genres have.

This pic makes me confused

Because what killed Arena FPS's was a specific game: CoD4. There was no one fighting game that used a different style that got mega popular that all the fighting game devs could emulate.

Smash would be the closest thing to that, but Smash's general popularity has nothing to do with how it deviates from the core competitive fighting game formula; it rides on being a nintendo crossover series. You could argue that MOBA's have killed the RTS in a similar vein that CoD4 and other "loadout" shooters have killed arena FPS"s, but RTS's were already sort of dead befoore that.

Arena FPS's existed and thrived on console, though: Halo was the very definition of a console shooter for a long time and it's an arena shooter. It had to make concessions, such as slower movement, but that doesn't make it not an arena shooter when it still has even starts, weapons and powerups on maps, maps focused as much on platforming as normal lateral movement, etc.

I bet this faggot actually believes Halo is an arena shooter
Yup. Every single fucking time.

Don't bother. These underage probably think Overwatch is an Arena shooter. Blizzard is calling it one.

We've already had this discussion about Smash Bros. That game is a party game, as Sakurai considers it one. Overwatch is, therefore, an arena shooter.
When the creator of a property gives something a genre, it becomes fact. This is not a topic for debate. It's their game, they can do whatever they damn well please with it and call it whatever they want.

What do you guys think of ARMS? I was never a big fan of fighting games but I'm liking ARMS.

I can't tell if you are baiting or not. If Notch called Minecraft a fighting game would we all have to accept that? If he called it an Arena shooter would we all have to accept that? Genres have definitions user.

This is a picture of a red circle.

It may look blue to you, and appear to have the characteristics of a square, but as the person who created it, I can assure you that it is in fact a red circle.

you are so fucking dumb

Considering only 25% of prize contributions go into the pool, it's fair to say valve is getting over 70 million shekels every year from dota2 TI, minus hosting costs.

RTS still lives, it's just not observable aside from MOBA faggots.

Niggers love them.

Fighting games are still going strong because they're easy to learn yet hard to master. They appeal to both casuals and "le hardcore gaymurrs". That and fighting game tournaments are still held on the grassroots level by fans that legitimately love the genre that are doing what they do out of love for the sport where as FPS tournaments are shilled out by AAA companies trying to shovel their game to the unwashed masses while also trying to sell as much ad space as they can.
Stay mad, tourneyfags.

The only fighting games that are going strong are SFV and whatever is the current NRS game at the moment and those still do worse than actual popular genres

fighting games are primal and easy to get into and have fun with, they get to the point immediately, audiences can understand whats going on 90% of the timeā€¦.while RTS and Arenas are gay to watch unless you're autistic

Arent both MK9 and MKX still going strong?

It's because fighting games are a natural fit for competitive play. The audience appreciates iteration while still keeping classics alive and the audience is large enough (unlike arena shooters) to support them all. The community is active and has developers that engage with that community often and there's new competition from the developers all the time, each offering a unique experience.

arena shooters died for an obvious reason, RTS is kinda weird but it was never that big in a competitive sense outside of korea, and it seems like dota clones are easier to push in that sense.

This is false, fighting games barely get any audience, EVO is pretty much the only event that breaks into mainstream every year and get relatively large amount of views, meanwhile LoL, DOTA and CSGO get around 400k+ consistently on finals in tournaments that happen once a month. You capcom niggers are delusional

don't count

shouldn't you be giving valve more money to artificially promote bad games like csgo and dota 2

I can easily turn this around on you and say twitch is full of capcom sponsored bots.

Fighting games are fun to watch for anybody. RTSes and arena shooters don't have this to the same extent.

Because arena shooters are replaced by other FPS just fine (spergs gonna sperg about muh skill), RTS are inherently flawed design.

Overwatch, Starcraft, CoD, CSGO, PUBG, all have bigger scenes than any shitty fighting game. You've must have eaten some tainted KFC my friend your fucking delusional.

its Holla Forums, everyone here is fucking delusional.

He's not implying anything, he's outright fucking telling you.

Its fact you stupid nigger.

What world are you on

Whats the lure of fighting games? I always get bored like 5 minutes in and cant be asked to learn them combos. Will it actually become fun once I get good?

Did you also play against people who are shitassed noobs or did you play against people who know the game even slightly? Fighting games are intense tests of pure skill and they get me fired up like nothing else, although it depends what fighting game you played.

Because fighting gamesare actually good

Only if you have real interest in the game's concept

You learn simple combos from just fighting others and you can learn many combos just by spending 15 minutes learning them. But fighting games aren't just about combos. Everything leading up to that is much bigger than the combo its self. Just play with some friends instead of with randoms online and ai. You'll have way more fun and if you're interested in actually learning the game then you can start fighting others and learn how to properly play. Also the way pros play isn't how the average player plays. People always think they're up against players who are pros who have been playing fighters for decades but I had a friend who got on my level in 2 weeks despite me playing fighters for ages. Difference here is that he had someone to learn from and many resources while I didn't for years.

Fighting game is niche but committed!

tons of gooks have moved on from starcraft, they now mostly play mobas and overwach

Competitive as a concept in general is dead because casuals got on it and if the game is actually skill based it dies.
The whole idea of calling it "competitive" is a casual invention.

Ditch those faggy dial-up muscle memory autism and learn a real man's game
Neutral game, knowing what your opponent can do and how to behave in a match are much more important than to learn combos. Knowledge is useless if you don't know how to apply them. But there are non-combo heavy games like KOF'98, Samurai Shodown and somewhat Virtua Fighter

This only applies to Capcom, NRS and animeFGC who plays the most recent game of said company/community. KOF fans are plit between '98, 2002 and now XIV with XIII players trying to build their community. SFIII 3rdStrike players are an anomaly inside Capcom fanbase since they only play that game and didn't "moved on" after 10 years since the release of SFIV and now SFV. Even inside the anime fanbase you have guys who didn't moved on to the newer GuiltyGear Xrd series and you have very niche stuff like Arcana Heart and UNiEL players along with Melty. But let's see how many casuals will complain about DBFZ this weekend once it releases.

tl;dr there are many niche games who survives 20+ years after their release because they have dedicated communities using forums, IMs, facebook and now disagreement to keep it alive.

Yeah no. Smash community don't blend with regular fighting game fans. They only play smash and its clones and even in tournaments, the audience simply leaves when Smash is over and the regular fighting game fans usually leaves during Smash to do other stuff. It's still only at EVO because Mr.Wizard wants everybody's money because other events like Dreamhack can gather just as much if not more people and money from Nintendo fans.

If you want, should look back to when Virtua Fighter was released at arcades and many clones appeared like Tekken and DOA and even big IPs tried to emulate like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat but in their own way at that time. Hell, the whole genre deviates from Street Fighter II with other games copying but adding new stuff Samurai Shodown did Supers, Darkstalkers did EX moves, Mortal Kombat with its finishers and so on.