Quake : Arcane Dimensions

Any thoughts on the mod? Apparently there's a map (forgot name) where it is known to be the largest Quake map. I finished the Hangar map so far. I wonder how many maps are there.

Any anons been playing this?

Other urls found in this thread:

quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector
quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_70final.html
quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=534
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Of course. Arcane dimensions is the best thing to happen to quake in a long time, all real shooter fans are playing it and its new maps. If you haven't also catch up on the latest quake releases from the past 6 years, since bsp2 support was added, quakes been amazing.

OP here. If anyone lagged playing this on Darkplaces, try Quakespasm. Runs flawlessly.

Wow that looks amazingly good

Anybody got a list of the best of the best quake mods?

AD is fucking awesome.
Props to the creators

It's a top tier mod

AD was fun. I know hen I played through it there were two unfinished levels so those weren't in there. I also missed a lot of the secrets. There was one level, it was like some floating castle,thing with a lot of steam pipes all over it. Point is; that level broke every time I played it. Unless there was some super secret trigger that I missed, then there was no way you could beat it without noclipping.

Are you playing v1.5? Because v1.7 came out a day before New Years 2018.

Damn, that's news to me, I played it at release when it had like 6 / 7 levels? How many does it have now?

What would you say is the Arcane Dimensions equivalent of other first-person shooters? That is, a high-quality mega mission pack of even higher quality than the original episodes which utilizes level geometry and other tricks to an extent which would have been impossible to pull off with the hardware of the games in question at the years of their release. The only thing that comes to mind is Deathwish for Blood, for Doom there's so much good shit out there that it's hard to point to a single best example.

Does this mod add any new weapons? The lack of weapon variety was what made me bored with the original Quake and made me never finish it.

Triple barrel shotgun, shadow axe, plasma cannon

About… more than ten.

It's 20, not counting the test or level select maps.

AD is alright. I appreciate the beauty of its maps and the amount of stuff it adds for both players and modders but I dislike most of its maps. The only AD-original maps that I find enjoyable enough to revisit are Critical Error, The Forgotten Sepulcher (the largest ever Quake map that OP is referring to) and the E2M2 remix. Zendar is great, but not an original AD release. Monstrosity is also good, but it's a worse and somewhat toothless rendition of the original standalone release. I may warm up to ad_ac. The rest of the maps I find tedious and/or boring.

looks like Quake 2 level,
gonna play some Quake 2

You are making a mistake

Almost finished my first playthrough with only a couple of maps left to discover but I have missed literally dozens of secrets though.

AD is probably the ultimate avatar of classic fps from the pre Half-life 1 era. Seriously.

Its gameplay is refined almost to perfection.

Apart for maybe one or two maps, each level has a very strong visual identity that extends this weird lovecraftian atmosphere that vanilla Quake had.

The level design is truly amazing. It is very typical of old school maps with clever use of backtracking. A few are perhaps a bit maze-like for my low spatial-awareness taste but it is not that bad. Some levels even feature very advanced destructible scenery that you won't find in a AAA game today.

TLDR: you must absolutely try it, even if you are not a big fps fan.
It is thousand times better than any "muh retro vidya" indie 3D shooter shit you will find on steam.

we really need a infographic for quake 1.

The only downside to this (to me personally) is that this is my first quake modpack. If I played the BEST modpack out there, my expectations of other modpacks might be too high, then I'll play them and get disappointed.

can i play other mapsets with the AD weapons and changes?

If you know how quake files work, maybe? But that 'maybe' is a HUGE maybe.

What dis?

A huge Quake mod.

Is any more work being done to it do you know? New maps and whatnot? I guess how big is too big?

yes it's continuously updated, and it's getting more levels. Anyone can make levels for it, and it has the best level editor ever made.

in short, it's the game dusk wishes it was.

what kind of quality control is there for the new maps? When I played this a while back the maps were fucking amazing but I wouldn't want the quality diluted just to get more content in.

there technically isn't any except the quake community who mostly consists of major developers who when they aren't at their jobs making games, they're at home making quake maps. The creator of Arcane Dimensions is Simon O Callaghan who you may be familiar with his work as a level designer on enemy territory wolfenstein and the train level in crysis warhead. There is also Maik Franz Xavier aka MFX who you may be familiar with his work on The Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay.

The quality control is the developers themselves and the quake community determining what is truly great.

Are you saying that Dusk is not worth it?

Yes, setting up Quake mods feels harder than it should be.

what the hell? all you have to do is drag and drop shit. Even GTA SA modding is a little more difficult.

I could be too used to having a mod manager for Doom.

quaddicted.com/tools/quake_injector
quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm

Gotcha' covered.

Brutal Doom.

Cool map, though a bit too strict on ammo and the lack of GL sucks.

I think it looks awful in terms of gameplay and is visually repulsive

Giving it a try right now. I like it a lot so far. Cool level design, tons of new enemies, and AFAIK there is no hitscan weapons or enemies so the combat is pretty interesting. For example, shotguns firing projectiles means there is meaningful difference between the regular and double barrel shotgun now (regular is much easier to control the spread so it seems preferable in this).

Latest version seems to be here, released right at the end of last year:
quaddicted.com/reviews/ad_v1_70final.html

bump

Yes, just open the console and type "game ad" like usual then open the maps you want with "map $mapname" e.g. "map e1m1". Obviously the AD weapons like the triple barrel and plasma cannon won't be present unless you use impulse commands to give them to yourself.

PLEASE GET DOWN FROM THERE.

neat easter egg there

Arcane dimensions was so good that it has inspired me to make a medieval fps using the quake 2 engine, q2 largely because of new engine features and modification isnt built around qc, also trenchbroom exists and making maps with it is a blast.

Friendly reminder that map packs built around arcane dimensions have been released and you should try them.

Doom 64 for doom really, coloured lighting and level geometry are beyond original doom, i prefer it.

its perfect. all i ask now is more maps

quaddicted.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=534

AD christmas jam.