Dungeon Crawling

Discuss about the subject and things you would like to see in future dungeon crawling games.

To start this thread off, i wanted to ask people what strategy people used to get through the lv 1 dungeons in Pokemon mystery dungeon? As a kid, i couldn't figure it out, and i didnt' really care but I am now curious cause i think i'll emulate it soon.

What are good real time dungeon crawlers?
I like the concept, but I don't like the idea of fighting enemies with menus and digits only.

If you like unintuitive numbers autism try an old pc game called Mordor Depths of Dejenol

Legend of Grimrock has real-time combat but it still uses a grid-based movement system.
There's a similar game called Heroes of the Monkey Tavern as well.

3 Untold never ever.

How does the grid-based movement system work real time? Can you move every couple of seconds? or is it another way?

Also is there a dungeon crawler where after you beat the first floors, they get renovated to help you go further into the dungeon? Etrian odyssey did that with forts a little bit, but thats the only one i can think of

The world is made out of a grid. You move on the grid in real time. I'm not sure what's confusing you. Imagine something like old Pokemon and its world that is made out of squares, except with real time combat and more complex.

There is none that you could classify as a "dungeon crawler only". I suggest looking into action RPGs with dungeons, like Dragon's Dogma.

Get to fuck my harem of waifus to raise everyone's morale.

Oh shit, yeah that makes sense, I think i was just over thinking.

Thanks user

might as well ask for a turn based C&C game while you're at it

I love Dungeon crawlers and vita has some good ones
But they are all literally the exact same fucking game

So something like Diablo except on a grid?

COUGH

I believe this counts

Any dungeon crawlers that are actually like traditional roleplaying games? Only ones I can think of are Angband and Nethack, which don't really count.

The majority of old Dungeon Crawlers is like that. The question is how old can the games be that you are tolerating.

Nah.

Daggerfall and some of the later Might and Magic games come to mind.

If the previous comments are anything to go off of, it seems they should have included a disclaimer about only allowing the discussion of JRPGs.

any game that does not let you save anywhere can fuck right off I am a grown ass man and i dont always have a big set of time to dedicate to vidya

That's because a good chunk of them are made by the same company. Demon Gaze, Stranger of the Sword City, Operation Abyss/Babel, and Ray Gigant are from the same company. Dungeon Travelers 2, Mind 0, and Mary Skelter are all made by different people. Not only that but Tokyo Clanpool, Dungeon Travelers 2-2, and Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain have yet to come over and may never.

More like grown ass casual! But seriously, unless the game is made around the idea that you should be constantly saving. Then a suspend feature should be at least be a basic feature.

Ye same people or different they all are exactly the same game

Is Might and Magic X worth playing? Steam reviews are terrible mostly because it chose to play like Grimrock instead of allowing you to move in all directions but as its own game, is it good?

Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis

How about Might and Magic 6-8? They have turn-based combat for pussies and real-time combat.
Those games are fucking amazing.

no

The Japanese cannot do dungeon crawlers correctly. I have yet to see one that didn't require you to grind in order to win. Etrian Odyssey is a great example of how you are not supposed to design dungeon crawlers.

Get good you piece of trash.

Rance 6

Take your ass back to atari days and never come back.

You'd best be joking nigger, Rance 6 has a sharp level curve, especially at the final boss - and that's without doing the true ending. Even if you do all of the side-quests, you'll still find yourself vastly under leveled.

I guess you do just have to git gud.

My dream game is something like this. Why don't you tell me your ideas so I can steal them for the game that I am never ever going to make?

Mind explaining your opinion a bit?

Looking at a strategy guide to determine which party setup is best does not equate to "getting good". Face it niggers, JDCs are shit.

Face it nigger, you're just shit at one of the easiest genres.

You're right, it is easy. All you have to do is grind for hours on end and the game will be finished quicker than a turkey dinner. The only problem is I don't want to waste my time like that.

But you don't have to grind at all. You just fucking suck at reading skill descriptions. Stop embarassing yourself.

Dragon's Dogma
The expansion is entirely about dungeon crawling.
The main storyline is basically a tutorial.

Wew

No he's right. You do just suck. This is the same as saying "I just need to learn long combos to win in a fighting game." and anyone who plays fighters will tell you how wrong you are. JRPGs stopped requiring you to grind during the NES era and have been getting easier since. Many people even do restricted runs, low level runs, or play mods that make the games harder like Chrono Trigger's hard mode mod.

The problem is not that you're not strong enough, it's that you refuse to actually learn how the game works and make the same mistake over and over or don't read the enemies patterns. It's more about strategy and planning around the enemy's moveset. Hell in some of the RPGs I've played, I kept beating things underleveled because there were simple exploits or I just knew what I was doing.

Actually Etrian Odyssey does fuck up on this part. I'm not even talking about the bad translations and bugs for skills in the early games. What EO fucks up at is that it doesn't tell the player the percentages or fine details of what exactly certain skills do. You can invest heavily in a skill only to realize you wasted points on a skill with massive diminishing return. Or you don't invest in a skill that only become practical once you max it out. You wouldn't know most of these effects without a guide.

A whole game centered around BBI with a larger expansion of enemy variety, rooms, bosses, and armor/weapons would be amazing.

The answer is "not very well". Grimrock really suffers from being a turn based game that isn't turn based.

Pretty sure Grimrock takes after the Might and Magic/AD&D games.

So your movements are confined to a grid, but battles and movement happen in real-time. You have cooldowns on how often you can perform certain actions such as attacks, like an Active-Time Battle system, and during cooldowns you're free to move around while enemies wail on you.

You are also free to move while you perform an attack. You can avoid just about every attack in Grimrock. Been playing Grimrock 1 for the past week, at dungeon level 7. Sure takes a while to pass each level, which is good. I take my time finding each secret though.

I have it and yet to play it. I hear the game is broken and full of bugs since it was rushed.

Boy I'm glad I'm not mentally retarded like you are

I see. That is unfortunate.

The first game is definitely the grindiest but every other game after that is really just games with high encounter rates. Which isn't out of the ordinary for the genre in general.

Every Etrian on the 3DS has been the opposite of grindy, they've streamlined every aspect of party management in order to appeal to casuals and I feel like the series is suffering for it to an extent. I really like V so far though.

I do want to play EO2 but I hated EO1's post game. The 6th stratum was bullshit in every way.

The only "shitty" part would be leveling up the apprentices left by retired party members.
Watch this post get parroted in future threads.

Is there any more top-down view dungeon crawlers like the Brandish series out there?

If you feel too weak, then stay on the weaker levels and level up. Also collect rocks and thorns so you can fight from a distance.

Can anyone recommend a dungeon crawler on PS4? Preferably one that isn't infested with the school-kids anime trope bullshit, but I realise that's a longshot on the weeb machine.

Has anybody played astrologia odyssey? how is that as a dungeon crawler?

Hoping in vein, westaboo. Indies and triple A trashers don't care about niche markets.

Fuck my sausage fingers

Dungeon Explorer, Crystal Beans, and I think there's a Dungeon Explorer 2 on the Sega CD

Battlespire

The only problem with the 3DS games is the existence of story mode and 2U as a whole.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Quit being a casual, and learn to negotiate.

You're either horribly bad or you have a different concept of what grinding is than the rest of us.

For example, it's customary in dungeon crawlers to explore and complete the entirety of an area before moving to the next one, or at the very least aim to complete the map as much as you can. If you, while doing this, defeat every single encounter you get, then that wouldn't count as grinding.
Most of the exp you get in dungeon crawling is from doing exactly this, so I guess that if you consider anything other than rushing to the current objective for the area just to move on to the next one, without exploring even the 50% of the map, then I could understand that you get the feeling that games such as Etrian Odyssey or Rance 6 actually require grinding in order to complete. Then again, I would argue back that you're playing dungeon crawlers the wrong way.

CORNHOLIO

Are there any dungeon crawling and/or Roguelike games with a good story?

Hold out hope, user. Atlus still acknowledges the Vita, and DT2 did sell them a pretty penny. Aquaplus is also very aware they have fanbase success here—hence why we got Utawarerumono sequels last year.

Keep the faith and just buzz up Atlus and tell them you're interested. Best you can do, seriously.

Atlus is still releasing 3DS games too. Persona Q2 and that mystery EO game is announced plus that Strange Journey remake coming out in May.

Untold 2 slapping my shit, I expected to be the loli bully and instead got bullied myself in Stratum 3

these
Might and Magic 6-8 are ace

Maybe for the first 2 or 3 floors, but once you have a couple skill points under your belt, the game's really not that hard.

It's not that complicated. Unless you're trying to run something stupid like 5 mages, I don't see how it can be so difficult.

That's the same build I did for Etrian Odyssey 3 and 4, but I was still forced to grind. Face it, the games are as shit as Bravely Default and Disgaea.

Get gud. The only time i had to grind was the 1st couple floors because you dont get enough skill points to kill stuff easy, and it wasnt that bad of a grind either.

Dude, my EO3 party had really haphazard synergy and I still did fine

Are you sure you're not just skipping sidequests? The exp gain is paced out pretty well if you're exploring the floors to the full extent.

Literally git gud faggot.

Where are the actual dungeon crawling games?

Remember to buy Kingmaker when it comes out to support games like this you spergtists

oops i meant Underworld Ascendant. buy Kingmaker too for CRPGs

What defines a dungeon crawler?
Are there any games where you literally crawl through a literal dungeon?

No, but there are dungeon crawlers where you crawl through dungeons.

Is dungeon vore a thing?

Why don't you go google it and not bother us with your retardation?

Le google meme xD

Yep.

Has Shindol made any games?

that is not a loli

didnt he do the art for that capture two people and make them your slaves VN?

What are the game icons for the first three EO games supposed to be?

They're each of the towns and their respective yggdrasils. You've got Etria just sort of sitting next to it, Lagaard build around it, and Armoroad on the coast with the tree further inland.

This entire time I thought the icon was the cyan portion of the image in a black background, it never came to mind it was actually the opposite.

Yeah, it took me a while too see them at first too. The first one looks kind of like a meteor or something which threw me off.

source?

Legend of Grimrock is not a good example. It is a huge step back in gameplay. Typically, in first person dungeon crawlers, the player's movement should not be restricted. Your character should move as fast as you can press the inputs. The idea is that you can go beyond your own character's limits by using muscle memory. Monsters are made overpowered, because the player has the advantage of mobility and strategy.

I agree.
You can't do that in grimrock because of how slow spells travel. You would likely get hit with your own spells if you went forward.

That's fine. A player should be punished for running into their own spells. Also, traveling faster than a spell might make for some interesting shortcuts. Speedruns should be similar to the video.

It actually was turn based at one point.

Personally, I'd love a Monster Hunter-themed dungeon crawler in the spirit of Etrian where each weapon type is a different class

Isn't Etria's Yggdrasil supposed to be underground in stratum 5?

Fuck yeah M&M:6-8

Found out I had a copy of Star Crawlers, aside from the interesting abilities and scifi setting it's not that great, well polished but not great

What happened to this franchise?

That's horse shit. Why would you do that?

Because each character has its own dialogue lines inside a "dungeon" (you crawl around mines, offices, laboratories and the same ship), so the party members can have a conversation about nothing that really matters except the ocasional memespouting.
I fucking swear i really really REALLY wanted to like that game, i have the required masochism to love dungeon crawling, also space, and this mix caught my attention. But everything past level 25 becomes a bullet sponge that makes combat boring as hell (and you will fight a lot), memelands tier RNG drop, downright useless skill trees, retarded shield mechanic (Also the "tank" mechanic fails hard since there´s no way to sustain damage), lack of a "Field Medic" class to make medikits usefull ince medikits are the best way to recover health in a mission but those are freacking expensive and the cheapest only recover 20% of your health, strange enemy balance because the small critters are more dangerous than the bosses, and a few more complaints.
However the ost it´s freaking good, also you can import custom portraits (But again, this only works for silent characters for the inmersion factor, and they won´t stop talking so whatever floats your boat), the hacker character it´s the best designed in terms of gameplay (It has three usefull skill trees, but you will be using "Optimization" almost alway since Ex Machina will save you a lot) and despite enemies being 2D sprites those are well crafted.
You can pirate it if you want to try it, but make yourself a favor and KILL THE TALKING DOG!! it don´t stop talking about philosophy since that is what clever people do always, right? Nietzsche references amirite? That part was cringeworthy.

This really sums it up
It's a game you want to like, but the issues just override it. back to MM or Wizardry

Anyone beaten around with the Elimage games? worth looking into?

Even though it's an action RPG, Dragon's Dogma's Bitterblack Isle Dungeon is one of the best dungeons I've been through in a game. Sure, it has a few kinks, like some copypasted areas, but damn does traversing the dungeon feel good. You start off on a rocky coast and enter this dungeon with big stone halls, you find a big rotunda, there's branching paths, sheer cliffs and ravines to an abyss, aqueducts, underground towers, the shit just keeps going. You get lower and lower, there are catacombs, and giant spires with brutal cyclops chained within, more flooded caves, an underground coliseum, and to top it all off there's a lost underground city. It's really fucking good. The enemy variety is spaced out pretty well too; so you always run into bigger and badder things as you go down. Dragon's Dogma just does a really good job at letting the player feel what going down to the depths of some mad dungeon/labyrinth feels like.

I wish I could say the same for a lot of other actual dungeon crawlers, but they just don't give me the same feeling. With those games it's all party building and worrying about hitpoints and mana, and while stratigizing is nice and fun it just doesn't compare to a giant cyclops smackdown deep bellow the surface of the earth in a forgotten prison. At best I can say that traditional dungeon crawlers tickle my autism when I clear all the floors of a dungeon or 100% the map, but I just find the environments lacking and the dungeoneering overshadowed by the constant rpg stratagizing.

Diablo 1 is pretty much a perfect dungeon crawler. Such a simple yet brilliant game, just go down the dungeon until you reach hell. It's not even that long or hard so you don't even need to "get into it" like with those old isometric RPGs. Even an ADD kid with zero attention span can enjoy it. Seriously if there's still someone who hasn't played that game just give it a go. I played it like in 2012 or something so I'm no nostalgia fag either.

Nox>Diablo 1

If only the game had more content like that…

Then I dare you to beat this game without additional help from the internet.
This Dungeon Crawler is the height of German autism and features a world as huge as an Elder Scrolls game, before Elder Scrolls games were made.
It features several cities with their own guilds, taverns, shops and for some reason a banking system.
All characters are pre made and have to be found in the world, you can have up to three groups of characters and multiple groups are used to solve puzzles in some dungeons.
Grinding is also a huge part of the Game and you have to do it to level your parties or the Main Quest will wipe the floor with them.
Even on a normal Playthrough to Game takes hundreds of hours to beat it and was used during the 90s to put up a World Record of continuously playing a video game without break or rest.

the good kind or bad kind?

There's no such thing as good grinding.