Maybe I have crippling autism and there's something terribly simple I'm not seeing...

Maybe I have crippling autism and there's something terribly simple I'm not seeing, but… instead of releasing teasers, trailers and so on and crunching until the deadline, why not work on a game in secret until it's good and finished with all the bugs worked out and releasing it out of nowhere on a high-visibility platform? Only applies if you're a small-time game dev, of course.

What a time to be alive.

There's a reason the greatest expenditure in game-dev is marketing.

This. Yeah, what OP suggests is better for making better games, but it wouldn't be very lucrative. Also, any studio that did this in its beginnings would have encountered heavy pressure from fans to announce stuff in advance. There actually were a number of studios that did exactly what OP says in the 90s. Most are dead, the few that survived are now 100% jews selling lootboxes and horse dildo DLC.

It's not autism, it's common sense.

It's common sense. But corporations thought that the big profits would last forever, instead of being short and momentary gains.
Let the rot, while new companies emerge.

Yes. They are all idiots that have a shrinking profit margin and still carve to failed concepts even when their share is getting smaller and the costs higher.

Better (for us) dead than souless and greedy.

Plenty already do that. You know why you've not heard of them? Because they didn't tell anyone about their game.

Because trailers and teasers create le hype and preorders

Why not just release one trailer the day the game comes out? Hype trailers get lots of views but release trailers don't, tons of people who saw the hype trailer forgot about the game and moved on. Just fuse the hype and release trailer into one. People see the game is out at the end of the trailer and then buy the game while high on hype.

Shops expect hype, pre-orders and pre-order bonuses.

One major problem with keeping a game "under wraps" is distributors. If Walmart doesn't know your game is coming out until release day, they aren't going to stock your product and your "release day" will be a bust. And if you tell Walmart and no one else, they're going to wonder why they should stock your unknown game when Super Marketing Shit is coming out in a week. Keeping quiet doesn't drive sales while trailers and preorders do.

Hype trailers get a lot of views because they are all anyone who is interested in the game has until the game comes out.

Release trailers obviously don't get a lot of views because people would choose to just play the game instead of watch it.

To answer OPs frankly retarded question, developers do the whole hype process to generate hype for the game so it sells better. The reason they then have deadlines to meet is because they're on a budget and can't take forever on it, this is true even when you're a small team.

I did specify "small-time indie devs" and "high-visibility platforms" rather than distribution companies because I'm aware this could only (potentially) work for the afore-mentioned small-time indie devs.

Because publishers think good advertising is better than a good product.

And are failing because of this. But they blame racism, of course.

Cause it is.

You don't understand. All of that is just a marketing tactic to drum up more attention through clickbait articles. There never was an intention of making a good game, literally everything they spit out about their product regardless of if it's positive or negative is just an advertising ploy to get more buyers. If it was anything about making a good product then they would have at least hired competent staff.

They did it with Bayonetta only dropping small hints 15 days earlier.

Sega Saturn

More than 7000 games were released on steam last year and most of them were released without any marketing. Can you guess how many of them sold more than 10000 copies? I'd say less than 1% and I'm being generous.

You need visibility even if your game is great. Word of mouth can make a hit (like Tumblrtale), but it is lightning in a bottle. The exception, rather than the rule.

Except small devs already do that. The only marketing they do is that they put the game on Steam few weeks before release and hope somebody will notice it.

Why haven't you played Overload yet?

What company blamed racism?

Branding is serious fucking business and you're all retarded.

Because there are retards who will throw their autismbux at you on your hipster welfare platform of choice simply because they happen to like whatever shitty concept of a game you can come up with.
Also, sinking time and effort into a game without commercial sponsorship or any kind of marketing is a massive risk for what will most likely be little to no payoff because the vast majority of consumers only have enough of an attention span for whatever flashy shit is thrown in their faces for a few seconds and don't go out of their way to do any kind of searching for themselves.
Why take a risk when retards give you a guarantee?

You know since devs that do this sort of approach are good,why not shill some of them in this thread? i don't see how it could hurt to get them some exposure

Even more reason to never pay for entertainment and to subvert all marketing to bankrupt the whole industry.

All the western ones?

Brands are shit and the more we make normalfags aware of this, the better.

No wonder Holla Forums screams shill at anyone saying anything remotely positive about a game.

The ones that you actually think are good that you know of,of course.

There is nothing wrong in taking down the whole industry, one bit at a time.
Never pay for entertainment.

Normalfags would ruin it with their shit taste and feedback

I said this thread,not in any normal outlets

This board has been chock full of normalfags since 2016

Oh well then everything is a lost cause,fuck it

More time is more money, making games isn't a charity and smaller developers need to juggle between game budget and marketing.

YEAH TAKE THAT BLACKPILL OHHHHH YAAAAA

sauce

I never got the whole horse dildo thing. There are better animal dicks out there.

Speak for yourself, buyfag.
Most of us get games for free only.

Yes. It either runs perfectly, or it is better destroyed. We already have plenty of games to play for free.

Not for too long.

Is this you?
I bet it is.