I still think a game programmer should make his own engine, even if just for the edutaiment value

I still think a game programmer should make his own engine, even if just for the edutaiment value.

I still think a game programmer to innovate and make something trully revolutionary needs to do low level game programming (barebones Opengl and SDL) and that using an engine makes you stuck into the engine phylosophy.
You'll never be able to make a better car engine and win the F-1 race if you simply use other people engines.
I have so many ideas about stuff that unity/Unreal don't implement simply because I'm learning computer graphics and linear algebra and shit.
In any case, I wanna talk about the programming side of videogames and maybe see if anons have seen any game that implements something they think is amazing (from a programmer perspective).

How about you show us your progress and technical aspects instead of being a pretentious cunt?

I'm watching some calculus course, then will take a linear algebra course, then a calculus II, computer graphics, data structures, etc.

I'm not at the point yet to make a game.

Just go to the codeacademy and get a hands on experience.

I know how to code, thanks to years of using engines, but I simply need to take those math and basic CS classes to make what I want.

Stop spouting your opinion on engine writing if you've never written any OpenGL or physics code. I would contribute to the discussion of topics that you mention later in your post, but you began with a sadfrog image and an immature opinion.

You're a fuckin freshman, bud.

most unity/game maker programmers don't know such topics either.

You should learn Automata, it ended my programmer's depression. Don't get so caught up in the implementation, like I did, API is not really that important. Look at me I have great knowledge of optimizing PowerPC assembly or for an API DirectPlay, even implemented it for some published games in the early 00s but thats all completely useless knowledge now, soon the same with OpenGL. Stick with the lambda-calculus, and build Automatons and Register Machines then once you know exactly what you want to do then learn how to do it via an API. A lot of my game programming has never changed after I've written it and it pains me to think how temporary it all was or if there were any bugs nobody ever found.

cellular automatas are pretty cool, and I've wonder how to make games off them.

True.
The "it's easier" route bred a whole generation of lazy and shitty programmers.
The same with 2D vs 3D. "It's easier, quicker and cheaper", says the useless "programmer".

No, Automata as in structure and computability, not Conway's game. The recognizing of language, because that's essentially what all programs do. I'm stating that you're talking about a recognizer for a language you don't know and how programming from this perspective rarely works outright. Although at a job its normal if you have the free-time and aren't on the clock building from an Automata perspective could prove advantageous to you. At least prepare you for the class in Automata you'll have to take for a BS degree.

how is this useful to a game programmer?

It isn't.
Especially since DFAs can only be used for regular-languages.

nice.

I'm watching a lecture on youtube about some math profesor explaining infinite series and wondering when I will use that.

I'm a dev but i hate programming more than anything so fuck off.

brain hurts

Its useful in all programming. UML is derived from Automata, any engine you're writing needs to be structurally sound or it'll just join the refuse of engines which were hastily put together. If you have the free-time working out inventive structures would give your engine an actual increase in usefulness.

But when your language input is the parts of a UML diagram it is, even a classification diagram is RL.

No you're just a regular retard.

You're also retarded. Automata and state machines do have applications on programming but saying you need them for everything you do is just plain stupid.

listen
do not attempt to program everything from scratch
make small games, finished them, challenge yourself with bigger and bigger projects (dont bit more than you can chew thou)
and eventually once you are confident enough you can do something better than what the big engines like Unity, UE4, CryEngine, go for it

Best I've ever seen Automata been applied to is in natural language.

Probably the biggest reason to build your own engine is the fact that it will do "one thing" and do it well unlike general-purpose engines like Poonity and Unreal.

Learning the Automata as a foundation and then proceeding into Design Patterns and UML is far superior than starting with those implementations. State machines is everything in programming, the recognizing of a language is synonymous to knowing your program will work on a set of inputs.

But hey go program from an application level and see the gamers rage about the bugs. To be honest though with the class of gamers out there now you can basically give the buggy shit and as long as there is gambling involved you'll profit.

OP just go make a card game like Valve, or PUBG clone through Unreal, its all about getting money who cares about the discipline.

I guess you never understood input can be anything from float data sets to encodings of TMs themselves and not just ANSI characters.

if a programmer doesn't even print the very circuit board on which his code will run he shouldn't even bother.

use /agdg/ thread or board

Stop being stupid already. If you're writing a token parser then yes, automata are useful.
You literally just found out about them so stop pretending you're an expert on the topic.

How about you make a new engine when you see a fucking need to make one for a game because your idea won't work on other engines, fucker? Why waste time making an engine if you could be making games instead?

It's not wasted time you fucking nigger. Making your own engine can help build a knowledge base that can help you build upon pre-existing engines if you find that you can't make one you like from scratch. This is important because the majority of noteworthy games made today have a lot of custom tools and libraries that the studio made for them. Tools and libraries that are easier to build if you have experience with building an engine.

Nice agdg thread guise

That time spent coding an entire engine could be used building a knowledge base of how to actually make a fucking game. Those are two different things.
Yes, and most studios also pick up an engine and become proficient at that instead of making their own because it simply takes less time. In a small team you simply can't afford to have your coder spending several years only making the framework.

I have yet to meet a single amateur dev who made their own engine and made a game with it. Let alone actually finish the engine itself. And if there is an example, their game is no doubt fucking awful because they have no experience making the actual game part.

If the programmer doesn't design every IC he's going to use he shouldn't even try.

Then you're a fucking faggot who hasn't been in the /AGDG/ threads for the last 2 years.
Speebot and Red Sky. Both from our on /AGDG/ threads here on Holla Forums and both good games made in custom engines. Your arguments are as limp as your dick.

I can't be the only one to notice these threads all being by one guy.

Speebot is from v? that's pretty awesome,i really enjoyed the demo of that.

John Blow has years of industry experience and is a savant programmer. Most of you fags most likely have neither of those things.

Good on them, but both of those could've been made in significantly less time.

Those people are in every game dev community. Same breed as the frogposting edgelord who is TOTALLY gonna make an epic Auschwitz simulator to trigger SJWs, and then never follows up on it.

Honestly this isn't a bad idea.

Braid was his actual first game (after a string of abandoned projects) and if I recall Blow actually went on to discourage people from doing it the way he did it due to how much work it is just to get the simplest shit done.

Fucking bigot! (^:

I mean literally the same guy. He's posted about how it takes ten years to make a Touhou clone. He's fucking retarded.

Blow is also a retarded Sjw who's games are super pretentious.

I don't get it, why not just use a switch? Or is there a much more efficient way?

because he doesn't know it.
And why should he when he's fleecing underaged retards for 5 grand a month on gibstreon
Also the eye color is retarded, because he could just use a comment

Go figure. I'm so used to legitimately delusional and mentally ill people hanging around game dev communities and chats that it I don't bother connecting the dots. Not worth the effort.

I'm just saying he's an exceptionally good coder with credentials. I hate his games and him as a person.

No, you got it. Switch would be the best way to do it. But he's an actual retard and doesn't know how to do it that way. (And he had the gall to complain when he was making a fighting game and an experienced fighting game dev told him his engine was shit)

Wait he picked a fight with a fighting game dev?

If you begin by using a pre-built engine for what purpose would you need to write OpenGL or physics? I agree with OP, and I would take it to the extreme logical next step by saying every game should be a self contained codebase.

I'm not saying I don't, or wouldn't re-use methods from previous projects. I'm trying to say that the best games begin with the gameplay design / philosophy. The programming of the best games (IMHO) flows down from the design.

Using an "engine" not only restricts your ability to actually implement a 1:1 translation of design to code, but often times obscures your understanding of your own code's true functionality. Whether that lack of understanding stems from heavy usage of APIs or something else can vary greatly from engine to engine.

When I took CSCI in the mid 90s understanding and writing a cellular automata (aka Conways Game of Life) was required to pass. So a very hearty seconded on this.

So the story as I recall is that he liked a fighting game series. Made a fighting game prototype/demo and actually got to show it off to a developer for the series. They hated it and told him his code was shit and he sperged out on the Gaia forums about it.

I thought it was someone from the Skullgirls devteam? And the way he described it his problem was that the person rudely told him his work was shit in front of his friends on some IRC. I remember people here taking his side because this was back when he was still welcome here and Skullgirls revealed themselves to be a bunch of sjws (people saying "Yandev was right" every time the Skullgirls devs did something shitty). Of course there's not reason why we can't conclude both parties were faggots.

It takes balls to present your creation to a world that will completely empty its bowels onto it regardless if it's actually a truly good piece of work. Maybe the code was shit, but you can't deny it was coded and presented.

Some people can't handle justified criticisms. Some "criticisms" are not actual criticisms, and are instead copious mounds of fecal matter. To compound that I would say for a newbie programmer it can be difficult to discern the truth of which is which.

I should also say with as much emphasis as possible that there are better scenes. I use that word specifically because I've grown tired of the word "community" and negative connotations it seems to bring wherever it us used. Look into and maybe get active in the demoscene if you want to be a game programmer. That is the best advice I can actually give.

Do an hours worth of research into the original Remedy Entertainment "developers". You will want to pay particular focus on the demoscene group called Future Crew.

polite sage for double post

Top Kek where are the first 2 from?

I'm not implying it can't be, I'm just stating my experience of where it was applied.
No need to be so hostile.

It was more of a "don't do it if you don't know what you're doing" thing.

programming is about innovating on what others have done, not reinventing the wheel.