Games composed exclusively of menus

you know what, I'm pretty tired of vidya in general, graphics this, graphics that, I want to try something new, what about menu-based games? the less it depends on visual representations of the thing it tries to simulate, the better. Sim-City and the likes? nah, don't even try to show me a visual representation of the city. Football manager? I don't even want 3D match simulations in between. Just drop some vidya that occurs entirely within menus (and ones that are good)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/402300
minecraft.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was kinda interested in this, but I dunno if it's any good.
store.steampowered.com/app/402300

You might wanna look into the text-based adventure games released in the dos era. There are some mentioned here >>>/vr/6216

Aurora 4X

Rules of Engagement 2. Made by someone with an LCARS fetish. There's some bullshit dating game called Rules of Engagement, ignore that

Spreadsheets Online

They probably don't have hot keys for the menus.
they probably don't use hjkl to move

crusader kings 2 and like every paradox grand strategy

Sengoku Rance

Uplink.

Football Manager

This.
Even the whole map is a menu

liberal crime squad

Progress Quest

Clicker Heroes

Pony Island?

Fuck you, you'll get an interface and you'll like it.
I can't think of anything except Exile with its menu at the top even though it doesn't fit the bill.

eve online

Classic

What is it about those designs that scream late 80s?

Low resolution repeating textures

zork

How is a text adventure "something new"?

Aurora 4X. I mean it technically has a visual representation of the map, but 90% of that game is in menus.

Uplink was one of my favorite games as a kid. Good shit.

And grain everywhere

How is that game called?

What's that space game called that's literally full of menus? Not EvE, the one that has literally nothing but menus and is extremely complicated

This game is 95% menus. Its more or less a version of the hacking sections of the Genesis shadowrun game.

Rimworld.
You can get it here: minecraft.net

I have always wanted to make a game that is entirely text based, where you play as a commander sitting in his armored command vehicle, and all you have is a map of the area, and a radio, which you must use to contact your units.
They will occasionally report things by themselves, for example when they spot a vehicle in the distance, or hear a jet flying over their head. More experienced units will be able to differentiate between enemy and friendly vehicles and report only enemy vehicles to reduce the amount of data you have to deal with, while unexperienced units will be slower to report anything, and their reports will be lacking in detail. Instead of reporting that they can see an enemy T-55 bearing 247 350 meters from their position, moving towards them fast, they will panic, then report that there is an enemy tank coming towards them.
Units will also report landmarks they can see, however inexperienced units will not do so automatically.
You can order them to move a certain distance in a certain direction, or tell them to move towards a named city, but inexperienced units may have navigation errors and move too far, or too little, and maybe in a slightly wrong direction. So when you ask them where they are, they will say they are where you told them to be, but in fact they are 100 meters off, not on top of a hill, but in the next valley.

Good or bad idea? Keep in mind that, even if I start development soon, it may or may not be
A: shit
B: entirely console based
C: no more than a "tech" demo with shitty coding
D: made entirely in C and command line based.

Maybe it's going to be a naval game at first, since that removes the need for a map and it will make things a lot easier to deal with.
I should probably take this over to the /agdg/, but I wanted to post it in here, since this thread appears to have some people that may have some ideas for me to add.

Sounds interesting to me, sounds more interesting than a naval setting to me but I can see why you'd want to try that..

I hate when that happens.

If you're going to try to actually sell the result, good sound work is a must. The constant thud of artillery shells landing in the background adds a lot to the one-line report of "incoming artillery fire", or a loud clang accompanied by "shot deflected by fore armor".

Nigger I am not gonna sell shit.
At best I will release an executable to the /agdg/ thread, possibly with some instructions on how to make your own scenarios, and what commands to use.
Maybe, just maybe, it will have a very simple GUI, where you can click on a menu to save, load, give orders or end your turn. If I then got some spare time, I will take it from turnbased to realtime without active pause.

What's that hacker game that isn't shit? That sounds like a good one.

Uplink

Out of the Park Baseball is basically like that. You can spend the whole game in menus and just simulate matches.
I'm pretty sure you can disable the 2D/3D match engine and have the matches in text only mode. I used to play FM08 like that.
Also older Championship Manager games are text only.

Free cities
>>>/hgg/157701

How the FUCK has nobody mentioned kingsway yet?

Came here to post this. Kingsway is surprisingly fun for its simple presentation and has quite a bit of replayability.

god no. Shits a fucking mess.

I was considering mentioning it but it's more of a pop-up simulator to me, and too graphical.

When and what version did you play?
Don't tell me you played vanilla.

I played it with mods, It's just a fucking mess of shit is all. There's nuggets of good shit in it but whenever I think back on the game I remember all the hours of micro managing and text heavy tedium I had to slog through to get to the shit I liked.

I don't see how a game that's literally an operating system doesn't fit the bill of "game made of menus"

masters of the world 3

Sounds neat but having it command line based would just be annoying. Instead of having to give heading and distance just point and click and have it automatically determine it. You could still have the player keep track of units manually and the movement orders would be based on the player's marker, but without a GUI that just sounds tedious.

Extreme Warfare Revenge?

Space Rangers.
Text quests are great.

Exile 3 is the greatest video game of all time.

Stars! from way back in the win 3.1 era. About the only graphics are the icons you pick when designing a ship. The entire thing is a couple of MB making it possibly the most wasteful thing ever committed to a CD.

Let him play Stars! first instead. Aurora can be overwhelming for those unprepared.

jrpg, the whole gameplay is menus

The majority of micromanaging can be circumvented by utilizing good rules for scripting macros.

Thank you for posting this. Played it in 2011 or 2012 and have been wanting to replay it for a while, but couldn't remember its name.

Not really. You still have to go through a shitload of dialog and it's still a fucking pain to navigate. I'm sure it's good for a select amount of autists but it's not worth the effort for what essentially is a text based game. If it had art or more of a grip I might be more inclined, but I don't see the point. I genuinely enjoy text erotica but that shit's just a fucking pain to get going.

i was gonna post this, it does have some UI, but barely.
shame the newtonian version is dead.

Menu based gaming is the #1 fetish /hgg/ caters to.