PC Gaming - Prices Are Up. Time to Sell?

Quick rundown
+ have two 1080 Ti video cards
- not many games utilize SLI
+ but ones that do receive decent performance benefits
+/- mining craze has GPU prices shoot up dramatically
- every time I sell a video card I lose money on it
+ this may be the only chance to profit from selling a video card I'll have in my lifetime
- profit is possibly not much (100-200 bucks)
What do think? Sell one of those video cards now? Mostly this mining craze is fucking consumers over so it might be nice to benefit from it for once, just not sure the profit is worth it.

Also, if anyone else has a fallback video card to use if you sell your current one this might be the time to do it.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/bench/product/1744?vs=1856
niceme.me
whattomine.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sell it or mine on it as much as possible until mining is no longer profitable, sell it

there is no point in mining with only one card on your main PC, sell it now because the 1070ti is newer, better, and costs less

I don't mine. Dunno much about it, but I doubt my electric bill VS profits from mining Ethereum is going to be a good balance.

Thoughts on building a computer at the moment? Right now my computer's PSU shorted so I don't really know if i should just replace it or just get a new build going entirely. Especially since DDR4's cost so damn much.
Right now my sights are pointed at a Ryzen 5 and a mother board to accompany it.
(Also note: My current build is fucking garbage)

user is right, either mine or sell.

I don't think a 1080 is a very popular mining card, miners buy AMD. You might be able to profit from it but the crypto craze won't be slowing down now and whatever money you gained will be lost since shit will be even more overpriced when they release their new cards. At least that's my theory on it. Truth be told just do whatever your heart desires.

You also have to factor the unpredictable time it takes to transfer your mined currency into actual currency.

Yes.
Than a 1080 Ti? Nope.
Significantly less, but prices are up and supply is strained at the moment.

I know that feel. Mine died a few months ago. Luckily it went gracefully and didn't take anything with it.

When that happens the profits gained from selling a 1080 Ti will be even less. That's how I always lose money on selling used cards. The new one comes out and the price drops on the previous one like a hammer.

Apparently prices are also due to the chinese buying them up for pubg. But I have no idea how valid that claim is.

embed related

There's that many chinks playing PUBG that it would affect GPU pricing? The impact of that compared to mining is probably negligible.

If anything , the Chinese are buying them to mine and control as much cryptocurrency as they can and are using pubg as a smokescreen, bnever trust the Chinese scum

I doubt it. AMD prices are inflated due to miners but Nvidia prices (primarily 1050 Ti and 1060) might just be due to PuBG, but that is pretty mild at maybe 20 bucks more than normal for a 1050 Ti.

Is mining really the reason why prices are so fucking high again? Tried to put together a list of parts for my friend's budget but the only cards that aren't ridiculously marked up are weak garbage cards like the 1050 Ti

Doubt it's the Chinks. They already had a fairly healthy MMORPG market on PC so they probably already had a bunch of GPUs in the country for that already.

Name one single game worth playing that you can't play with a 1050 ti.

Yeah, mining is the reason. The cheapest 570 in my country is a garbage Powercolor at 250€, average prices for a decent model are over 300. Even the 1050 Ti is a bit overpriced at around 160€.

Then explain this. This shit is miles from MSRP.

One thing's for certain, this price gouging is insane.

Just watched both videos. Looks like I'm going to have to wait 'till cyber monday to even ask for a reasonable price on some parts. Thankfully I own a hand-me-down gpu that'll work decently for now.
As for my problem I'll just get a reliable seasonic psu, thanks for the information.

It fucking blows. It interrupted my entire workflow for the semester break and now I'm sitting around with a thumb up my ass.

Was planning to buy a gpu as soon as payday but by the time I got paid it was already a few days too late.

Above 1080p resolution and medium settings you can make a lot of games run poorly on a 1050 Ti.

I'm thinking of abandoning 4K though. I have the horsepower to do 4K assuming the game is either optimized well enough, or failing that, it uses SLI. The performance deficit when you start a modern game and it won't utilize SLI is very noticeable. 21:9 @ 1440p seems like a good sweet spot for the high end. Problem is, they keep showing these crazy HDR G-Sync monitors at tech expos but they never come to market. Their release was pushed back and now there's tons of Freesync options with HDR but nothing with G-sync and HDR. Not that the HDR would be very good since they don't even list DCI-P3 coverage, but the refresh rates on the monitors they've shown are impressive nonetheless. I was going to get a 144Hz 4K monitor and just run most newer games at 2K resolutions to make use of the refresh speed, but now I kinda want to get an ultrawide monitor despite the headaches of getting games to run in 21:9 because there's going to be a G-sync one that does 200Hz. I already have some experience struggling to get games running in ultrawide resolutions from a long time ago when I had a triple monitor setup. Pretty much every game I installed, I had to go to WSGF first to see if there was a resolution fix.

They're the best IMO, but like anything else failure is not impossible.
When my Seasonic PSU failed (gracefully without killing everything) I had an additional Seasonic PSU in another system I could use as well as an older PSU (don't exactly trust it). Since I don't use the spare system as much I put the less-trusted PSU into it and the Seasonic that was in it before went into my main PC. The spare Seasonic is a pretty solid PSU and has powered plenty of systems.

I'm lucky to have all these parts around. It's not a warehouse or anything, but it's enough to keep things running if shit fails.

Who fucking cares honestly, I've yet to see a game that would even remotely warrant that sort of upgrade. Especially now when most devs are so inept when it comes to world designing and one of their favorite excuses is how the modern graphics make their jobs difficult even though they have more assistance then ever like entire world creating algorithms 4gay is only going to feed their corner cutting excuses further. I would love to be wrong but even at it's best 4gay will likely just be an eventual iterative upgrade like 1080p was and the whole thing will have been greatly blown out of proportion by marketers so they could sell a few TVs earlier than other marketers.

4K is currently a meme made by Jewish marketers to make you spend a ton for barely any difference. just stay with 1080p until 4K gets as cheap as 1080p currently is.

Buying a new computer here, too dumb to make a custom rig myself.
I know I need above a GTX 960 to run Toonboom and 3-D modeling programs well, should I get 1080TI or is there a negligible difference between that and cheaper cards?

anandtech.com/bench/product/1744?vs=1856

I remember that card being on sale during Black Friday week for about $300 USD on NewEgg and it turned out they were out of stock so they shipped everyone pic related instead with a $50 refund for the mishap which I didn't mind and is what I have now. Basically the same card with slightly lesser specs.

prices are getting closer to double prices a few months ago jesus fuck. fuck me for wanting to wait on upgrading a gpu from 1060 to 1070ti

All crypto miners should be fucking killed. I masturbate every time coin prices go down. I just want to build a fucking computer without having to pay million dollars to get a fucking decent graphics card.

well the crypto prices exploded and are down like 40-50%, government is cracking down on miners so

Mining hasn't been profitable for ages. You need to keep uping the amount of hardware you have to even make a profit, ergo if you don't have a big ass farm, then your two cards ain't going to do jack shit, especially when you look at electric bills.

I have a question for you guys. What games do you run that require strong graphics cards? I bought a 680 a long while ago, and recently replaced it with a GT 1030. I only play lots of older games ranging from the late 90's to late 00's. Other than that I also do some mainstream games that have low requirements. I do not play any AAA games at all.

I was just curious because I find it hard to justify stronger graphics cards which is sad as I like to buy and tinker with 3rd party coolers like the Mk-26, and Morpheus. The only way I can see to justify a stronger card is to push up the resolution and frame rate with high end monitors but I just don't care enough to do it.

I was perfectly content with a 660 until Nioh came out, there really is no justification for upgrades nowadays if you ask me.

I don't play much new games, but I'd like to get into the vr meme.

nobody sane uses anything above 1080p
there literally NO REASON to buy ANYTHING above rx480/580 or gtx1060
NONE

HDR IS GIMMICK, 4K IS JOKE, HIGH HZ IS IRRELEVANT

You are wrong

sulla on hertsit perseessäs :DD :-DDD

Now that you can fuck off with. The difference between 60 and 90 alone is clear as day.

1440p and 4k are nice for video and photo editing. I'd take a single 1440p over two screens and two 1440p over 3 1080p.

Yes and buy a console since they are arguably better and much cheaper.

heh

you guys still have it better

don't give the tor bait any (you)'s please

ok ok maybe between those two but the differences disappear after that

while true my 1060 runs everything i want at good fps, I'd like 1070ti or 1080 because i like having muti monitor set up.

It's going to be just like memory sticks, the cryptocurrency bubble will burst and the gpu prices will forever be stuck at their bloated numbers.

You don't need 16gb of ram

I hope this is illuminating

Not the best time to build, but gathering the parts on sale over the next six months is doable. My three year old computer is still worth 25% more than I paid. Good time to plan and watch sales, not much else.

No, not really.
Except when you play the latest and greatest games.
Goddamn games now have a minimum requirement of 8Gb RAM

I just wanted to sell my 780ti to my friend and get a 1080ti

it sucks being a poorfag

not really, except with in those cases where where ram is the limiting factor,
I had issues with that twice in my life (with a new computer)
one was with KSP, heavily modded to have a ton of stuff,
the other was with x-plane, due to detailed airplanes and scenery
and that is all in a linux environment, so you can definitely need it at some point,

what does that even mean?

When the fuck is this ending

Give it back, Tyrone.

in what universe is that hand from a black person? you are literally retarded

except that's wrong, you dipshit
the smartphone demand is not growing stratospherically from what it has been in the last few years, there is no reason for there to be this kind of "shortage"; it's price collusion plain and simple, the same kind of shit the industry did 20 years ago except now because we have ancaps in charge in this country nobody is going to slap their shit and tell them to stop and we have to wait for fucking (((red))) china to do it for us

you. dont. need. 16. gb. of. ram. retard.

Fuck off nigger.

there is NOTHING positive about NVIDIA leading
all of their cards are overpriced, it inflates the prices, it was bad without mining craze, now its EVEN WORSE

eat a cock you money grubbing fat prick

only reason there even are high memory requirements, is because devs have been getting comfortable about taking advantage of it,
you didnt need this shit few years ago, everyone did the programming that was necessary within tight requirements

But ram is pretty cheap as far as components go

nope not any more, ram prices are going to keep going up (they already did because of some happening) from all the news i have been hearing

>480p is a meme
>720p is a meme
>1080p is a meme
People gotta stop doing this. If 4K is too expensive for you just come out and say "it's too expensive" don't play make believe with these nonsense excuses. The bump in image fidelity is not "barely any difference". 3840x2160 resolution is quite a big fucking difference from a common 1280x800 especially when it's a physically larger screen. Distant objects have more detail, textures look cleaner/sharper, the overall image is simply much higher fidelity.

The 3D modeling programs likely lean on the GPU but I dunno that Toonboom is CUDA-accelerated. Maybe it can render with NVENC which uses the GPU to encode videos much faster.

anyone who buys "top of the line" PC hardware for gaming is a massive casual, guaranteed.

yeah DDR4 went at the ends of 2016 for like $40 per 8 gb and now hoovers around $80

Name me a web browser that isn't a memory-leaking piece of shit. Protip: you can't they're all garbage.

And it's impossible to run with any decent settings unless you have a $1000 graphics card and even then it's jittery 30 FPS shit.

Lynx

It isn't and your poorfag is showing too much, i mean i could understand some arguments like that most games aren't ready for 4k yet or there is nothing but AAA trash in the lineup, but you seem to be screaming only sour grapes

I just wish at least once I could afford the latest and greatest in pc hardware. Instead I just lurk in these kinds of threads brimming with jealousy. One day in will join you all hopefully in PC Valhalla.

Lad, the 1080 Ti can't run Witcher 3 at max settings 4k. It's way too expensive, which means it's a meme.

look at your previous post shitlord you re moving the goalposts

niceme.me
Kill yourself

>>>/reddit/

I get around 80 fps in The Witcher 3 maxed out at 4K.

Nigger, my RX 480 (Which cost me $230 when miners weren't fucking over the market) can run some quality games at 4K and above 30fps (but I already have a 3x 1080p setup so I don't feel like I need 4K yet).

Witcher 3 is optimized like shit and everyone knows it. Not to mention every game made in the past ten years Ultra/Max settings have always been shit that give no tangible benefit and eat away at your resources for no apparent reason.

Once AMD is sold out they'll suck up the few hundred extra bucks for Nvidia stuff

pc hardware enthusiasts are the worst. i once built a top of the line machine. spent a bunch of money on it. within 6 months it cant even run the newest games on max settings. the worst part? those "newest" games weren't even as graphically good, let alone fun. i was always waiting for patches or driver updates so i could run the "new hot shit" at max settings with a tolerable framerate, because why start playing it otherwise?
it wasnt before long that they added another hardwired wall to block me out of max settings… i forgot what, but it was a shader version or DX version that would require a new purchase and there would be no update, patch, or new driver to fix this.

i mean, i literally pirated every single game because there was literally nothing released on PC with decent graphics worth playing since… modded gta4?
but then again, im a buyfag that emulates ps2 games, so atleast i get to up the graphics on ps2 games which actually requires a decently powerful machine.

go back to tumblr

ive been using palemoon. i have a shitload of tabs open and its "only" using about 450mb.

Pool mining ETH would be cost effective with that hardware, but honestly if the only reason you bought them is for games then I'd sell them and get a 1060.

As said, there's hardly any benefit to playing on ultra settings unless you're playing at 1440p or something along those lines. Most of the time you can hardly even notice the difference. Take The Witcher 3 and compare high shadows to ultra shadows. The difference is minimal and if you don't have an actual high end graphics card, it's hardly worth the lost frames. Optimization has been a pain in the ass anyway, regardless of what your hardware is, and it says a lot when the most optimized game this gen is NuDoom.

not all games have negligible differences in higher settings. but still, if you drop $4000 on a PC, you should be able to play a new game at max settings. im not advocating or supporting that, infact im supporting the opposite by discouraging people from getting into an arms race with PC hardware. its fucking pointless and the software is the bigger barrier than the hardware, and the software is almost completely out of your control.

Buy a pre-built. There are companies that use standard cases and boards. You can get a complete system with a RX 580 or GTX 1060 today for $750. Worst case, you will be forced to buy a HP or Dell gaming PC.

I currently run a roided GTX465se that I've ran since release, Only reason I want to up my gpu to a 1080ti or a volta (which will likely be out by the time this shithole price raise ends) is to play and tinker with VR. I'd like to get a 144hz 1440p or 2160p monitor to compliment my CRT.

I'm really proud of that 465, I smacked a zalman copper cpu heatsink on it with an extra plate milled by my freind to cool the extra components. Runs on a 920mhz core clock from the stock 675 at 74c at full load. When I get my new gpu I'd like to see if I could somehow break the ghz barrier on that card. anything higher that 920mhz makes it die.

Better to have something and not need it then needing it and not having it.

pre-builds got better lately, but I would still not trust them. They try to save money by using bad psu and trashy ram or very slow hdd's.

Then buy a better PSU or get a voltage regulator. SSDs are fairly cheap right now. The Crucial MX500s are comparable to the 850 EVOs and cost $79 for 250GB.

The only thing it says is that you're full of shit
NuDoom's optimization is asstastic, even worse than Witcher 3 or Shadows of War.

You're still paying for the shitty PSUs, HDDs and RAM if you're buying a prebuilt. At that point its just make one from scratch.

But pre builds are usually more expensive than a self build computer or in some cases a little bit cheaper than what you would have paid. If I have to add my own parts to it, it becomes more expensive than building a computer on my own.

Buying a voltage regulator and a SSD wouldn't be replacing any existing part. If you want a premium build with the best parts, then you will need to build your own. You could also find out what components are in the pre-built and make a decision based on that.

Builders are making money off their discount rate for reselling the hardware, which they buy in bulk. Getting something at a lower cost requires buying used, reusing parts from an existing build, or assembling builds from sales over a period of time. I would recommend a person build their own PC if they are capable, but not at current prices.

XD

PUBG has more sales than any other PC game in history. It probably aggravated the situation considering it runs like dog shit.

Those are still additional expenses that wouldn't exist if you didn't buy a prebuilt to begin with.

I'm not seeing build guides with a comparable system that are within $200 of that price point. That's $200 you have to upgrade the cheap parts that are currently affordable.

Mining isn't profitable unless you live in a country where electricity is dirt cheap. Maybe see if you can sell it to someone in Iceland where they run the entire fucking country for free out of the volcanoes.

Wrong, mining BTC isn't worth it. You make profits mining ETH, Monero and all sorts of shit right now, even with very high electricity prices
whattomine.com/

wow you guys are stupid
I have a 1080ti and mine with it while I'm not using it, makes about $10 a day mining Zclassic and Hush.
It's almost like the prices of graphics cards have gone up so much because people can make money with them.
Do some research and find out how and what to mine if you really want to make a profit.

Either or, faggot, not both.

practically nobody uses OpenMP,OpenCL,CUDA in gaming because its damn near impossible to get it optimized and work properly, engines themselves cant work right with it, its worse then using scripting languages, overhead is ridiculous and you got to be extremely lazy to give up all the work you already put in just so you could use proprietary libraries

Feels good
Then again I won't upgrade GPU again for the next 4 years when this shit is more than finished.

What the fuck, it's worth more than my entire PC with the video card at original price.

Seems the only way to get a used video card up to those obscene prices is to start a bidding war on ebay, but ebay takes a cut of the profit leaving minimal gains. Unless I was getting upwards of $300 profit over the original price and after all the fees+shipping it's not really worth it IMO. I could look into mining but most of that profit is cut by electricity costs leaving minimal gains as well.

Jeez how much were they last year?

Are you OP one of the owners of the site? This thread should have been deleted, but here it still is.

Delete this thread already. Fucking Christ!

My accuracy in Xonotic with the railgun went up from ~35% to 55%. Right on the day I upgraded my display from 60 Hz to 144 Hz, I also beat several of my personal bests for race.

I saw the specific card going for $550, but it's supposed to be $400 normally.

consider removing yourself

Mine doubled in price when it should be dirt cheap by now, it's beyond retarded.

I have 32gb, eat shit faggot.

Consider removing yourself to an auction-based site. This is not one of those.
It will be more to your liking. You absolute waste of a human.

If someone links their ebay listing then I could see reason to delete it, but the discussion itself is essentially "Is it a good idea to sell a video card now, during price hikes?" and that's an entirely valid discussion to have about a product related to gaming on a video games board.

>air-cooled 1050 Ti costs more now than a water-cooled 1080 Ti costs months ago
Pricing is way out of hand.

wow makes sense, must be why you have such an issue with all these ebay links posted in the thread.

oh wait, you're just being an autistic faggot. don't you have a mount & blade thread to be in?

"I'm selling a product right now"
"Is it priced the way it should be?"
"Or should I buy some other product?"
"Vidya gaems board"

My point was very easy to understand.

What point? There is no validity to "don't discuss gaming products on a video games board". Even talking about pricing of said products is entirely related. Move on and stop embarrassing yourself.

based to be quite honest, would prefer Holla Forums to change hands to someone greater

>tfw my gpu failed back in July and I still haven't been able to replace it or get a job

So you could specifically be different
Or the fine lady in the red can escort me home.

user, we live in a world now where white people are darker than blacks…

Obama is a mutt, tho

Is $360 too jewish? I feel like it's pretty jewish but ebay forced me to make the buy now price 30% more than the starting auction price of MSRP.

Nice cherry picked example, faggot.

VOLTA WHEN

Probably not until after Computex.

un sli that shit and keep one just to be on the safe side of things. I bet those cards will survive at least 2 gens from now on. if one fails, you still have a fresh one

RIP poorfags, this will do nothing to deter miners. They have so much fucking income that they can easily buy 50 GPUs with no problems because crypto is quite lucrative, even after the crash that happened. Either PC gaming will die or it will be a luxury for the rich from now on, I can't see crypto going down anytime soon.

Is it really worth the hassle to gain a few hundreds at most?

Are you serious? I just checked gtx 1060, 1070, and 1080. Both have literally doubled in price since 2 months ago. A 1060 is at least $400, 1070 is sold out at $800-$1,000, and 1080 is $1000+.

Its been 19 damn months since the 10XX series released, and still no new cards, prices doubled, everything is sold out, and the newer cards (1070ti) are unable to be overclocked without overriding/using some special program.

Of course Nvidia won't release their new cards, thanks shitcoin.

Bitcoin is not mined with cards since 2014.

People are buying this shit up with fucking credit cards, literal fucking retards.

There's probably over 100,000 bots playing PUBG

AMD's drivers considerably better for mining, but nvidia has much better cards

When bitfinex is audited and is forced to reveal each Tether is not worth $1, and thus revealing that BTC has no anchored value, and thus revealing that every coin valued with a comparison to BTC doesn't have a real value.

Incorrect. The rule is that 1070 Ti cannot be shipped by a manufacturer in a pre-overclocked version. Many companies offer video cards with higher clocks and better cooling to compete with others, in the case of the 1070 Ti they can only offer better cooling, but no out-of-the-box factory overclock. The GPU boost still operates based on power and cooling though, so a better cooler results in higher clocks anyways. Plus you can overclock the 1070 Ti with the same tools you would use to overclock any other nVidia card.

I was considering a 1070 Ti for my mini-ITX build, but it seemed overkill as I only intended to run a 1080p Portable Monitor resolution with that particular build so I used a spare 780 Ti I had from years ago instead. My mini-ITX build is a budget build using some spare parts. New parts were the case, mini-ITX B350 motherboard, Ryzen R5 1600X CPU, CPU Corsair H50 Cooler, Corsair SFX power supply. The case was actually the most expensive thing because it was made by Lian Li, until I got a portable monitor with HDMI input which are not easy to find despite essentially just being a laptop monitor in a slim enclosure. It surprised me how few companies are actually making portable monitors with HDMI, but apparently ASUS showed off a portable monitor at CES 2018 that has HDMI input and is 4K OLED. So, assuming they ever release it, the market for portable monitors is going to finally get something good.

Well it's not like there are many modern games that take advantage of a good GPU anyway, I say sell.