ITT: Underrated Gems

N64 had some really cool games that were easily missed. Pic related, I only really saw stuff about it from Nintendo Power.

It was basically a wrestling exploration rpg. The president is kidnapped and replaced by an alien clone. You have to develop a fighting style by using moves repeatedly, to take down enemies. Throws were sort of a status move but hard to land and even reversible, punches and jabs were accurate, and kickboxing was the power style

Another good game was Quest 64, but I know it was really polarizing

I never even knew Konami made games for the N64

I'm curious as to why you like it To me it's quite a boring slog where the best move is to spam metor.

Oh, I guess they did.
I never beat it but I got close. I used the kicking style and got to the last chapter but I kept running out of steam against the second last boss

Literally baby's first rpg
We didn't have a game store in town to buy stuff growing up so games were infrequent. Sometimes we could rent eg FF Anthology but otherwise it was SNES stuff for us. There was basically no other game to compare it to for us at the time.

It was kinda fun trying out different spells. Fuck Nintendos use of memory cards in those days

Sorry should I have said pearls?
Like the pearl necklace I gave your mom last night?!

Skyrim is pretty underrated tbh

Quest 64 is fucking horrible you mongoloid.

Quest is shit. First start with water to get healing, then max earth and spam avalanche. Don't give a fuck about anything and win.

What?

Now Hybrid Heaven on the other hand is also okay but the ARPG WWE/WWF style wrestling is the best part the grinding and throwing giant fucking monsters at you in a room with shitty camera controls isn't particularly fun nor an experience I'd like to repeat.

Todd Howard is mai waifu

The Mystical Ninja games are some of the better N64 games.

Robotron 64
Blast Corps
Beetle Racing Adventure

Maybe not on this board, but Mischief Makers was underrated.

It’s a monkey paw wish, but I’d love to see a modern sequel or spiritual successor. It was a perfect little arcade racer.

I only ever heard about it on Holla Forums.

I'm sold.

This looks amazing, I thought I had played every SNES game by now but some Japan only games keep surprising me.

The part in the beginning where the fake johnny gets visited by the ayy-CIA up to the shooting in the subway is awesome. The elevator fight is gay though.

Thanks for the rare Todd

Might be the closest a game has ever gotten to recreating the feeling of a fever dream.

your reddit is showing tbh

HIDDEN GEMS

only good N64 game

finished this motherfucker last year
gets bullshit hard on the later levels

Same. What other obscure games on the SNES does Holla Forums know about?

>>>/reddit/

Next time just say underrated
Underrated is a good term, it's understandable, and it isn't shit
Say underrated

Normalfag*
ftfy

Underrated is a term related to public opinion
Hidden gem is a term related to public awareness

Hidden gem used to be just fine for these threads but apparently we have to evolve our terminology every other week to maintain clique status

Fun fact: Hybrid Heaven was headed by Hideo Kojima originally, but he had his name taken off of it when he lost creative control.
At the time that it was being made Nintendo had this huge boner for RPGs thanks to the success of the Final Fantasy series and they'd lost it to the Playstation so they were trying to force EVERYTHING into being the next Final Fantasy.
Originally, Hybrid Heaven was going to be Metal Gear Solid 2, you can see some comparisons visually in some of the characters, and the themes of the locations and games, the design of the stages etc..
Another casualty was Body Harvest, which was originally going to be, essentially, GTA3, but Nintendo fucked with them and forced them to shoehorn in RPG aspects, many of which were taken out before release.
Fuck Nintendo.

I second this.

yes

Water is also normalfag by this immensely retarded logic.

One of the best skating-games ever made. With a full-blown creator-mode where you could make your maps basically how you wanted. Tony Hawk 2 overshadowed it though, but it's a solid f'n game.

Second pic is one of the best platformers on the PS2.

Third is the one arcade-game i've had the most fun with.

Fourth is fuck you i had fun with it. Way better multiplayer than Call of Duty at the time.

Did you also discover it from the Sutte Hakkun thread from some time ago? It's always nice to have these threads for a specific unknown game anons can play quickly and share experiences about.

As for obscure SNES games, what about Dynamite Headdy?

Wait no, I'm retarded.

I'm a huge fan of the Duck Avenger, but the game was pretty meh.

I played the first one last month and I'm waiting for a few months to start that one.
These games are delicious, I love the aesthetics.

Not sure about the game but if you like KISS it's safe to say you are a faggot. Not directed at you unless you actually like KISS.

Keep in mind the game was 60% done. It would have been interesting what Quest 64 would have been if they were given more time and money.

How the fuck to you dash without killing your fingers? I can't fucking spam dash god dammit, it kills me.

The Aerosmith rail shooter was better.

If you have ever thought even once that predators are cool, then you'll get a kick out of this game. It's not perfect but it's easily has my favorite Predator.

you mash both the c button and the dpad.
I finished the game with a 360 pad, you'd have an even easier time with a keyboard.

Vietnam is one of the most tense experiences I've had with a shooter, much more tense than the often highly regarded Vietcong. It's a military shooter that manages to evoke the same paranoia that I get when playing STALKER.

Global Terror on the other hand doesn't aim to have the same kind of tension as Vietnam, but it is a very well-paced action game with much more improved controls. Probably the best controls ever for a squad-based action game without being shallow as fuck like Republic Commando. It's a straightforward action experience, like watching a Michael Bay film, it has plenty of exciting scenarios but it does so without being on-rails like the CoD games are. To make a straightforward military action experience engaging throughout a 10-hour campaign is difficult, but this game pulls it off by having great level design with constantly changing tactical situations.

I think the Conflict series pulled off the ideal format or structure for action shooters. The squad-based gameplay makes things much more involving and dynamic, the medkit-revival system solves the trial-and-error problem common in this genre, and the limited quicksaves system allows the games to have lengthy levels (unlike say, EDF which I think is easily one of the best shooters ever but is restricted to only 5-20-minute levels) without having to rely on checkpoint systems which remove all tension from a game.

quoted by mistake

>(((Kiss)))
>>>/ovens/

You need to play more arcade games kid.

Dynamite Headdy is fun, but play the Japanese version. The American one is localized with redrawn sprites and fucked anti-rental mechanics.

you think an old as dirt idiom is 'reddit'?

I'M BAD

Not killing yourself is reddit, tbh.

toy commander

If that's you wolf,pls stop

Oh man, is this Cuckhead's spiritual successor? xD(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

This and its sequel are criminally underrated games.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug

/vr/ was doing a random game thread thing and I landed on this one. This was years ago but basically I was never able to get very far because the controller I've had since the system came out has gone to shit so I wasn't able to get very far. Its a shame because I really liked what I had played.

Are there any third party N64 controllers that don't suck shit? I bought a Chiaki or whatever and it was horrible. Every aspect of it was fucked in some way.

Why do they always cut off the prongs? What the fuck am I supposed to hold onto? I figured "hey heres somebody who didn't cut off the handles they must know their shit" but I was disappointed.

All the replacement sticks are Gamecube style which is fine for the fucking Gamecube but this is an N64.

This console is such an ass to play these days. PS1 controllers didn't degrade nearly as bad and you can play PS1 games on fucking PS2 and 3 and emulate most without problems. Can't be said for the N64.

just emulate it and play it like a normal human being
I finished this game years back and it ran without any issues.

These three games are underrated.

Sega Saturn is an already niche console so every game for it is a "hidden" gem I guess, Xbox however had a lot of unknown games that people ignored because "hurrdurr it's a dumb American console that only has Halo".
Also not sure how many of you faggots are unaware of Original War but it's a nice RTS with specialized characters who can die permanently.

Doesn't everyone on Holla Forums already know about that one.

I'm in the final act of Breakdown right now.
There's a lot of cool stuff about it but I don't think it really deserves to be called a gem – hidden or otherwise. The gameplay just isn't that great.

The gunplay is shit, the targeting system is shit, the controls are weird, and the melee combat is –while pretty neat– not very well implemented. You can essentially kite+stunlock every enemy in the game if you're fighting one-on-one. When there are multiple enemies, the targeting system makes it almost guaranteed that you're going to get surrounded and gangbanged; as soon as you target and strike one enemy a few times, his buddy has circled around you (where you can't see him or guard against his attacks) and throws a strike that knocks you down and now you're the one who's stunlocked. I've found myself running past most enemies now because it's just not worth the damage I'll take beating on a guy while his buddy shoots me from across the room while another circles behind me and knocks me down.

The story's kind of interesting though, I guess, and maybe I just need to git gud. I'm perfectly willing to accept that I suck. I think I did see an option in the menu to disable "auto targeting" and maybe that'll make the game better – but I doubt it. I'd like to disable targeting altogether and just throw my strikes and bullets wherever I'm facing; that'd be a huge improvement to the game, I think.

This is a game that I would recommend to very, very few people, if any.

I loved the shit out of Concrete Jungle. I was confused to find it had negative ratings.

I need to learn moon damn it!

I remember seeing the cover of Oni as a kid at a Blockbuster and getting a boner. Before I even understood what boners even were. Must've been embarrassing for my parents.

There's this one too.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Cybernator and Metal Warriors?
Idk I know I love them and my friends hadn't heard of them.

That possibly would've made me harder, and the situation more awkward.

oh shit thanks user!

Dynamite Headdy is my favorite indie SNES game. :^)

do it fag

Was there a major difference between the Japan version and the English one? Or am I thinking of another SEGA game?

The difficulty was increased and the story was removed, along with some visual changes.

They added a lot of shitty Jewywood parody puns to the stage transitions.

How long ago did you play PK? I remember it being trash, and really short.

I'm surprised that bigger youtubers haven't done a play through of La-Mulana yet. Considering that games with DEEP LORE are quite popular now

I really, really wanted to like this. But nobody ever listened to orders, despite the xp boost they provided, and the devs were openly biased towards the SVER PMC.

If I want to play through La-Mulana what exactly do I need to do it without looking shit up. Just note books to keep track of shit. Or does it require outside of game research? What is the best version to play?

No

Vita

They admitted that they made it up as they went along to fit whatever environment was convenient, so I'm not too surprised. Mausoleum of the Giants was the first area prototyped with the concept of intertwining lore and clues which is why the giants show up everywhere in the backstory.

Get a notebook and be patient, it's a pretty long game if you're playing it independently and blind. I'd recommend playing the original, the puzzles are a little more straightforward and it's a purer experience anyway.

La-Muluna isn't a hard game to get into. but you do have to get used to its controls and, how it hands out information to you. (which is rarely after the first area). The only thing you really need to play is some way to track the riddles and puzzles in the game because, the upgrade to actually track them is shit and comes in the early-to-mid game.

What are the differences specifically if you can say without spoiling. Got any advice on how to get started?

All he had to do was shut his mouth and design attractive characters and the game probably would have launched well enough to grow from. However no he had to alienate everyone and use his art design as a political statement.

The original was freeware released in 2005 on PC and it's still free to this day
There was a full remake in 2011 that was originally made for WiiWare and subsequently ported to PC and then later Vita

Which version you play isn't that big of a deal since 95% of the content is unchanged, but there are small differences that might influence your decision. The graphics were overhauled, some item locations were shuffled around, some exploration bottlenecks were removed, the UI was streamlined, some clues were rephrased.

I've replayed the remake once and this original twice this year alone so I don't know if you want to unbottle that autism because I could go on about the differences for a while.

You should have done a full wind/water playthrough, it's much better then fire/earth since the enemies are actually challenging and you have cool ass homing spells. One of the gimmicks of the game was that when an enemy attacked you could move out of the way if it wasn't a basic attack.

He also should have used an author name. Cliffy-B alianated both the console and the PC communities all in a few years by shit talking his customers while acting smug. I'm amazed how one man can be so unlikable. Not to mention the HARDC0RE advertising that looked like an ironic parody but was played off as serious.

its neither underrated nor a gem. It got exactly what it deserved. Go read up on the steam reviews, you'll see that they bastardized the core gameplay to chase that overwatch audience which made even the most hardcore players drop the game.

He had to use his name he was well known enough that it got him tons of free press. People probably would have been fine with it if he wasn't such an arrogant cunt and/or just stepped into the shadows after announcing and getting the initial coverage. I mean one of the first interviews he did he actually apologized to the PC players for the retarded shit he said. However after that his entire marketing method for the game was saying how amazing his game is by pointing to garbage and saying that his game was better. Most people didn't even know that the game is called Law Breakers because you are breaking the laws of gravity. However everyone knows that it has gender-neutral bathrooms unlike all those garbage games.

Interesting, got a source for any of those claims?

What political statements did he insert into the game?

Make sure you read the instruction manual. The whole thing. Seriously, very important.

Original has much better music and a better graphical style, plus some cool minigames. Remake has awful instruments for the the remixes, a bland graphical style, and shitty control customization.

I think he also talked about all representation in his character designs but I might be mixing this up with Battleborn.

In the future women wear dresses and men wear pants.

fuck that fag. Glad he failed. Game design looks good though, hope the devs dont go down with him

The only spoiler I will give is that the Holy Grail found in the Gate of Guidance will let you teleport between save points. Its absolutely worth getting.

Oh, and the first boss is not found in the egyptian area. You'll see why if you manage to beat him.

Care to elaborate about this game user?

Playing Metal Warriors multiplayer was the shit back in the day. It had so many amazing matchups and strategy varieties.

I'm interested in read those differences user, please go on

What about Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge? You guys are FUKKEN PHONIES

They were hard as hell though, I never beat them as a kid. I should really fire them up again.

I've been trying to get back into N64 gaming but I've noticed that a lot of titles have terrible frame rate and input latency issues. outside of f-zero and Mario 64. ( not to mention the blur filter and all the dithering on the graphics end).

I've never really spent much time on N64 emulation as there was always major issues. can most titles be played reliably with enhancements now?

It's a cel-shaded racing game by Capcom with customizable cars. The car selection is mostly japanese rice burners with some american cars thrown in. The driving is similar to Ridge Racer, so don't expect to drive this like a sim.

There aren't Gran Turismo levels of cars but they're enough to keep you entertained.

I'm sold. Thanks.

Try using your sliding/flying kicks or using your tlan energy for the knockdown aoe (might be called pulse wave?) but yes you will dominate in one on ones and that's what the game is about, also it's more about stuns and knockdowns to separate groups of enemies than it is kiting them around.

are you emulatin? because the fps and input issues usually disappear if you do. in particular, i've played f-zero x on project64 and it works like a charm. same w/ majora's mask, some of the tony hawk games, etc.

Shit like this is why emulators having an overclock feature is so important, it won't get around a hard capped FPS, but it does wonders for fixing slowdown.

I rarely see anyone mention this series, while everyone's busy going on about Wipeout. I also think Fighter's Destiny is a top fight game, it gets pretty technical and isn't very button mashy.

I fucking loved the soundtrack to this game so much. 90s as hell.

My eternal nigga, I meant to mention that. It pairs up so well with the amount of FAST in that game.

Decided to do some N64 emulation after seeing this thread, some games I've never played. Horri shittu, glover is a neat game.

A Maze of Galious reference (the sword, shield, and helmet) in the first zone is removed in favor of making the puzzle fit with the Aztec theme, it's functionally similar but it's still a shame that it was removed.
The boots necessary to make it through the Temple of the Sun are purchased at a shop in a different area instead of being found deep in the Temple itself, in their place is the Bronze Mirror.
Originally the Bronze Mirror was obtained after the fight with Ellmac but that room was removed entirely in the remake, and as hinted, that's not necessarily a good thing.
The locations of the Ice Cape and Grapple Claw are swapped, making it so that you only have to deal with the lava in Inferno Cavern for a few minutes for some reason. The Claw's utility is also greatly undermined by the rebalanced jumping.
In the original a double jump couldn't be executed after you'd passed the apex of your jump, but in the remake you can double jump at any time. It's not as gamebreaking as it sounds since it has no effect on the maximum height of your jump, but it makes it a lot more flexible and gets you past a few platforming challenges that otherwise required the Claw.
The biggest UI/control change is the addition of an "action item" button that essentially is reserved for key items. In the original your Hand Scanner (THE most important item in the game) was assigned to the same spot as your subweapon, so you'd have to go through a menu every minute or so just to swap them out. The biggest effect this has on puzzles is probably the "prove thou art small" riddle, which I'm guessing a majority of people solved accidentally in the original.

I went to bed, sorry. Hope that small sample didn't disappoint.

I'd go back and listen to the MIDI version of the original soundtrack, because that's where Samieru got most of the ideas.

Fucking hell this.

On what fucking planet?

Holy magic Century had so much potential.
The game was unfinished, hence it feels empty regarding quests or story.
The game was good for its time, and it would've easily been a staple nintendo RPG if they had finished it. Or at least Golden sun tier.

I've been alone with you inside my mind
And in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times
I sometimes see you pass outside my door
Hello, is it me you're looking for?
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
You're all I've ever wanted and my arms are open wide
Cause you know just what to say and you know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much, I love you

Was there a single third-party controller for the N64 that wasn't a massive piece of shit? Even the legitimate ones were some of the worst Nintendo ever put out, relatively speaking.

I've actually heard that these are the best N64 controller. I haven't used one. But it looks like it at least has handles, which puts it in the top 10% by default. Control stick looks Gamecube like, which is not ideal for N64 games. I've been curious to try one, but not $90 curious.

See if you can find them for cheaper (if you go to Japan it's a shit load cheaper, but you might also luck in to a seller letting them go for less as well). The Analogue is nice because it will never go bad but it's not perfect, but after playing Majora's Mask with it recently I'm convinced it's the best way to control Zelda and that sort of 3D control scheme game. Mind you I also love the original controller because this controller can't do shit like pic related. I really wish someone would release a modern controller with the original design and just a better analogue that offers the original feeling, that's all it needs.

That thing looks nice but it's made for nip children, not man hands.

I am a giant (6'5") and it feels fine to me. My only complaint is the tiny little start button. Also I could see if you were a bit lazy with your thumbs how you could accidentally hit the dpad while fucking with a/b. It is not without it's flaws. I just suggest it for people who love the 3D games, but for anything that uses the D-pad it's best to stick to the original controller for now.

Dynamite Headdy was incredible. Treasure made so many great games.

I owned Whacked! and Blinx, can confirm very fun. The sequel to Blinx was trash, though.

pearl necklace is euphemism for anal beads assburgers-kun

Just finished Breakdown. After using some of the tips given to me by:

I've had slightly more fun, though not much.

The 1v1 fight against Solus –pic related– was actually REALLY cool, and I think if the game had been more geared toward 1v1 with varying "boss" style characters, it would be a lot better.
Dealing with three or four guys at once whose attacks will stagger you every time they hit is bullshit and I hate it. You just cannot kite or stagger them enough to get a combo in on one of them.

The whole game is sort of speckled with neat ideas and I guess it's worth playing just for those. It borrows a lot from half-life (in a good way). The general path from start to finish hits a lot of the same beats. It also doesn't have any cutscenes to speak of. Sometimes it'll lock your perspective so you're sure to see something, but you stay in the first-person perspective from start to finish, which I really like. Also the art and world and character designs are cool, so I've sort of changed my mind on it.

7/10 would recommend to people who can deal with some general 6th generation clunkiness and weird control layout and sometimes BULLSHIT fights.

Its a cumshot across the upper chest moron

Just tried out HH for about two hours. Not amazing, but extremely inventive, feels really advanced for a 64 game. I like the idea of the combat system, even if it's not perfect in execution. Bodyslam for days though.

Underrated by the world at large. Overrated by Holla Forums.

pearl necklace is cumming on tits near the neckline you fucking ape

Fuck yeah. Cybernator is great too, but it's just not as funky.

Notwithstanding the constant risk of being one-hit-killed, Solar Jetman is very comfy as you carefully and methodically plunder the galaxy of valuables, planet by planet. It's also one of a kind, as far as I know.

Well it's dead anyway. So even less reason for people to play it. It will be forgoten soon. In 4 years no one will remember it.

It's dogshit you nigger. Thanks to you guys i spend 20 bucks on that dog turd.

Try Sub-Terrania on Genesis.

I need to get my PS3 up again so I can go more in detail about this game. Fun as fuck arena and racing car combat game.

Don't get me wrong, it was nowhere near as good as it should've been, and I wish they'd taken the extra time to put in the other characters and shit, but that's no reason to shitpost.

trash

that's like, your opinion, for me it was great

I liked that gif, here's a bunch more I just made