Zelda MMO

In a perfect world, this would be a good Zelda MMO.
inb4 >MMO >good

-Six races; Hylian, Zora, Goron, Rito, Gerudo, Twili
-Class-based system with hybrid classes for more skill options
-Warrior class is standard DPS with some tank options sprinkled throughout the skill tree.
-Knight class is standard tank, pretty much the reverse of Warrior
-Rogue is the lighter DPS class with stealth and persuasion tactics
-Rogue can spec into Sheikah-style Ninja class at Lv. 20
-Warrior could spec into Knight, or higher-damage Berserker
-Obviously there'll be a Mage/Wizard class
-Hybrid Warrior/Mage spec can unlock Spellblade class
-All classes can wield any weapon type, and can dual-wield single-handers, but some weapons are better than others for a certain class
-Max level is 35. Will go the Guild Wars method of skill-based gameplay, neutering the need to grind.
-All progress in the game is quest-based. The more quests you complete, the more experience, gold, and unlockables you obtain.
-You can go anywhere at any time, but be wary of dangerous areas. They are not impossible to traverse, however.
-Story is Ganon has found a timeline where Link and Zelda do not appear. The denizens of this Hyrule take up arms to combat the threat of the looming darkness.
-Endgame is the fight with Ganon, but is event-based and requires a party of 16 people to start it.
-Once defeated, Ganon will be sealed away for a time, until the next event starts where he reawakens.
-All 16 players will be deemed 'champions' in a hall of fame, and be rewarded upon repeated attendance to the event.

Netcode is too hard for devs to have any sort of meaningful combat/gameplay. MMOs will most likely always be shit at least for our lifetimes

I prefer the Total War conversion someone was doing.

I'd play it.

Sounds fun, just slap a title like Heroes of Hyrule on it and dump it on the Switch.

Thanks. Couldn't really think up any unique classes beyond common variations of DPS/Tank/Utility.

Everything is Skyrim now user. Don't you know that?

I want the next Zelda to be a cross between DQ Builders and Dark Souls, just for the hell of it.

Ironically enough, Graal Online is a better game than this is sounding like

Already shit

So now Ganon is a deus ex machina all mighty, multi-universe travelling entity?

Get this fan fiction out of here

How about Link finds a macguffin that splits him into 6 million copies of himself, names ranging from Link to xX_EdgyDarkPenisBoy2080_Xx, and every Link clone must find their way to face Ganon, who must be defeated 6 million times to restore peace to Hyrule?

The charm of MMOs is getting a ton of players together.
What's the gameplay like?
The more hours you invest in the game, the better you get.
Compare this with games like StarCraft or Overwatch, where no matter how many hours you invest in the game there's totally a big difference between players that have the ability to be better and those that will never be a match for them.
So it's a meritocracy against equalism.

I mention this because Zeda is mostly about gameplay.
Sure, we also love:
- The story
- The characters
- The music
- The scenery
- Those cool scenes
… but all those are secondary afterthoughts which Nintendo adds AFTER designing the core gameplay.
I mean, even Hyrule Warriors deserves some respect because behind all that fanservice there is a game. Not my kind of game, though: I prefer Zelda games.

An MMO about Zelda will not be a Zelda experience, just like Hyrule Warriors AND FUCKING BREATH OF THE WILD weren't truly Zelda games.
I still liked Breath of the Wild, though.

Zelda is just a front for people to hide their /cuteboys/ fetish.

Why does it have to be Ganon? Plenty of good Zelda games don't have him, make the main villain someone else.

What the fuck is this shit?

I know Twili are where all the Homestuck Troll type fan characters come from. But fuck you, Deku Scrubs would need to be included in the base game.

The issue isn't entirely netcode. I'd say another big chunk of it that modern ISPs are such shit that unless you live in an area with Fibre connections you're not gonna be able to deliver big enough data packets consistently enough to make meaningful combat in an MMO work. But you could probably get Zelda's famous z-targeting combat to work though with the current state of ISP packet delivery and netcode.

That sounds better, but add in the utility tools like grapple hook and rocs cape.

Could turnbased combat work?

A Pokemon MMO seems more likely than a Zelda MMO. It'll just be turned into Hyrule Warriors x Breath of the Wild. Would be interesting but I don't think Nintendo will do it.

Shit, to be honest

Wasn't there already a Zelda MMO many years ago? The guy who made it was being griefed by Anonymous so he made an update that put a virus that fucked everything up on your computer in it.

Go play Final Fantasy Online you nasty fat pervert Nintendo games are for good christian lads only

The issue is that modern studios don't want to spend the money or time on talent that can do it right.
Take a look at Starsiege Tribes, a game from 1998. This is a team based action game in which players can fling themselves across virtually limitless expanses of terrain at upwards of 300 km/h. Yet, somehow, it runs smoothly on dial-up internet popular in the era. How the fuck did they do this, you ask? They coded the entire thing from the ground up themselves in C++ and even made their own scripting language for modding the game. C++ is extremely powerful in the hands of devs who know how to use it, unfortunately more of those devs vanish every year as software programming becomes more abstract and divorced from hardware. Not that I particularly want to write firmware myself.

Why should it be class-based?
To my knowledge the only mainline Zelda game with levelling up was Zelda 2 on NES, where you had a choice of three stats to upgrade every level. The same principle could be expanded into a point-buy system.

Honestly, just make it old Runescape in a Zeldo setting.

Question: Will the game be top-down perspective? Because honestly I can't see an MMO Zelda without minicking the gameplay of the 2D games since 3D would be a WoW clone at best.

call me when we get a Mario MMO were i can play as Shyguys and Snifits purging minion & Rabbid scum

I suppose I should elaborate more on my ideal Zelda MMO.

It is NOT an RPG. There's stats like Attack, Defense, and Hearts but there's no dice rolling for combat. Instead your power comes from the arsenal you pick up. The game does have an overworld, but it serves as a hub to procedurally generated dungeons. There is no XP outside of Hero rank, which is used to allow you into more difficult dungeons. If you want more health then find heart pieces or containers, or stamina with drops and vessels. Magic items would have charges. Bombs and arrows would be limited. Etc.

Also when you leave a dungeon all of the items you collected, including heart containers, are converted to rupees which you can then use to purchase items in dungeon shops to help you start another dungeon. The only way to permanently increase stats is with artifacts you get from clearing dungeons. Also there are power ups like clocks and pieces of power that enemies will sometimes drop.

I haven't thought this through as much.

Take the nearest pen or pencil, place it between two fingers, and squeeze said fingers together until you draw blood

It's the nail in the coffin, then it can finally die.

I want to fuck that plant

Sure
Definitely
Certainly
Who the fuck? Oh the Zora who decided to stop swimming. That don't make no fucking sense, can't have these in the same game as Zora. Plus they're gay.
Yep
What, Midnas? What the fuck, no.

You're a serious fag, OP. You can't even keep your shit consistent for the first line of your diatribe. Ridiculous rubbish. Deku ought to be thrown in there, obviously. Those can be your "stupid fucking midgets" for everyone to play - not "Twili" or whatever the fuck.

pk on da mind

Just make Zelda Emblem instead.

If Nintendo ever does an MMO, Fire Emblem and Zelda are likely contenders.

I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.

Too late, it's canon.

wut

Also you can't have fucking Rito in an MMO
what you just have one race that can fucking fly anywhere on a whim and no one else can? Lol why even play other races

I want to fuck that bird.

Yeah, that would be like a superhero MMO where some people can fly and others can't!
What a shitty game that would be! Thank god it's never been done before!

There are turn-based MMOs but they never really took off for various reasons. Pubs will want wow-like action combat because that's what people are used to.

TBH I think I would be fine with only having humans as a playable race (you can make them look as Shiekah or Gerudo as you want). If there was a Zelda MMO it could be like the Satellaview-thing where your character is the avatar and fabled "hero of light". Link can still be the hero of time except now you have to find out what happened to him or something.

Why only human race? Parity between players mostly with how they start out. As an adventure MMO I suspect stats and gear would be sandbox-like as you need to figure out how to use the environment to survive. Everyone starts with three hears and their underwear. Depending on what you find it could determine your path to Hyrule Castle.

For head canon I imagined Kokiri as spirits of Hylian children lost in the forest saved by the great Deku tree before they turned into skull kids. They eventually become Koroks as they forget how to interact with humans over time.