I am thinking about building a Win98 computer to play some old vidya...

I am thinking about building a Win98 computer to play some old vidya. What exactly are the hardware limits I would have to look out for, do any anons know?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Gaming-Its-1999-Building-Legacy-Windows-Gaming-PC
driverpacks.net/downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Use a fucking virtual machine.

???? Use vmware or some other virtual machine software

I was actually going to do that at first but I thought I'd be more autistic and build a machine for fun. Generally curious what the hardware limits are.

don't all the windows vm require like 40 gigs of available space? or is this only for xp onwards

If a game doesn't run on windows 10, it's not worth playing. It has compatibility modes for everything.

BOI
there are limitations and shortcomings to vm's
also playing on a CRT with a trackball mouse is underrated

this, and also be sure to pick up a copy of Fallout 4 with a Season Pass and Skyrim: Legendary Edition to go with your better system one Windows 10!

Thanks user that's helpful.

Nope.
Have a look at XP

There was a thread on Holla Forums that might still be up, some jap autist was providing updates for lower level parts of the Windows 98 OS to allow it to run modern software, along with security patches among other things. Ask in the software thread there and someone might point you to it.

well i'll be dammed, the 40 gig requirement must be some vmware fuckery then.

Windows 95 and 98 have issues in some virtual machines. You'd be better off sourcing a Pentium II machine and TNT2/Vodoo3/Rage128Pro GPU and an AWE 32/64 audio card.

Windows XP could fit inside 2GB. People thought it was crazy when it needed 1GB at minimum.

aw shit shon shlayers

Were there any games for win98 that weren't just running in DOS?

Is this a serious question?

user you do not "build" PC-98. PC-98 is a console.

I have an XP install that's around 500 MBs, typical XP installs are around 1 to 1.5 GBs TOPS. What the fuck are you on about?

Yes, but those theoretically work also under newer versions of windows (e.g. 2000, XP) so shouldn't need 98 in particular.

pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Gaming-Its-1999-Building-Legacy-Windows-Gaming-PC

Grab a 1GHz Athon Processor and 512MB (or whatever the motherboard supports) of RAM and something like a GeForce 256 Graphics card.

New enough to be a late Win2000/XP machine but should run fine on Windows 98.

Alternatively, just build a Windows XP machine. I have an E8400 setup I rarely use for that kind of thing.

VMware/VirtualBox instantly 'suggests' 20 or 40Gb of space on newer versions of Windows. I think Windows 7/8 and up.

I think i will try a reinstall of that xp image then.

Yeah. By 1996 DOS games werent being made. You sure are young.

How many Slayers game exist.
How many of them are in a language humans can understand.

XP should run fine on existing "modern" hardware and is preferred IMO since it's more robust than 98. But it will need the right drivers:
driverpacks.net/downloads

5-10 GBs should be more than enough if you're planning an XP install with programs / old vidya on it.

Embarrassing

the simplest solution is to get an IBM thinkpad t42 and install win98 UBCD. IBM/Lenovo offer drivers for this laptop and it's got very high end hardware relative to windows 98. It's the highest end laptop IBM made drivers for windows 98 support. These are cheap laptops, you get the thinkpad quality, and great specs. The laptop also has s-video out and VGA out if you want to use a 15khz CRT or a 31khz CRT.

This is why I still browse Holla Forums

What hardware accelerator are you aiming for?
Early DirectX/OpenGL, 3dfx or some meme card that died out by 1999 but has the best render backend in a few gemus?

You can't play some CD games on a VM because the virtual CD Drives for some shitty reason can't emulate the analog audio that the old drives had, it was a small cable that went connected to the motherboard besides the IDE ribbon and the molex power, games like the PC version of Cold Shadow need it.

PC98 is not a console, fool. It's a computer line, similar to western PCs but not identical.

I think the Svideo or RCA on all of those do convert the video to 640 * 480 30fps, which flickers a lot on a TV. That mode was meant to play movies or stuff like that.

The VGA output can be hacked to display 240p 15khz or 31 khz but you need an RGB capable CRT TV.

Alternatively you might just use a normal PC CRT.

What?

good feel for a start.

Why not just virtual machine win98?

He's not wrong though. Name the games you can't get to run on win10.

MS supports Enterprise using obscure shitty software going back to DOS. Unless you're using win10 Home I suppose.

I really ought to build an old PC to do this.

I want to play Simcopter again. Jumping through hoops on 64bit OSes are no fun.

Opposite, actually. I stopped playing PC games when they stopped putting them in DOS. :^)

i'm back, solved my install problem by using virtualbox instead of vmware, but it seems i used the wrong OS on it. after finally getting this bitch to work up to the menu, i'm greeted with texture abominations on the cutscene until an error message pops up and i'm left again xanaduless

No they don't, 64-bit windows never supported 16-bit programs to begin with, besides M$ even dropped support for floppies completely early into 10's development.

Yuck, just use VMWare Player dude it's free.

Alright nigger best start reading up on hardware of the era, If you have a recycling center near you I highly suggest digging through it and getting on friendly terms with them. If you want just a strict build you could copy from ebay orders i'll post it with this.
3D accelerators are a tricky bitch from this era, you have the venerable Voodoo card's to strange cards from Matrox like the hilariously named 3D prophet or the worlds first 3D decelerator aka the S3 Virge. which offer….interesting rendering strategies. Often times if you want good compatibility for dos games you'll need a 2D card to plug into your 3D accelerator if your 3D card dosn't have one built in.
It's really pointless to have anything more that 512mb of ram as most games won't even touch 256mb, You'll either be using PC100, SDRAM or if your fancy DDR
When it comes to CPU's pentium was king. I would really just recommend sticking with a slot 1 Pentium 3 for compatibility purposes, just know that some games were fucking retarded and locked there framerate to the CPU speed causing hilarious issues.

Here's my build
MOBO: AOpen AX6B
CPU: 600mhz Pentium 3 (want to upgrade to the 1ghz)
1gb of ram
3D accelerator : Voodoo 2 (want to find another to sli with)
soundcard SB Live! Platinum 5.1
Find any pci network card of the era if you want to, I transfer stuff from my modern PC to it through FTP to be easy

Windows 98 by design cannot run with more than 512 MBs of RAM, I'm assuming you tweaked it somehow pre-installation?

That number I believe comes from a bug with File Cache. When more than 512MB of ram is installed, Windows can assign all of the virtual addresses (incorrectly) to Vcache. This will result in Out of Memory errors..I think

Look up kernelEX, Which allows you to address 4gb of ram. (and also gives you the ability to run more "modern" applications). I have a 1gb stick as that's the biggest the board can address and also what was in the center at the time so why the hell not

the s-video does 640x480i60hz.

I tried using a circa 2004 era AMD Athlon Barton 2800+ with a radeon 9600, and that shit was still way too fast to properly run Mechwarrior 3.

Ultimately I used PCEM to emulate a windows 98 pc. Shit's actually really fun, in a kind of nostalgiac/masochistic sort of way. You have to manually choose all the pieces you want in your virtual computer, down to even choosing how many platters and sectors you want on your emulated hard drive. And if you want to move files from your real PC to the emulated PC, you literally have to put them into an ISO file and load it in to the virtual CD or floppy disc drive.

Shit's pretty cash.

Old Japanese home computers were stylish and comfy as hell.

LGR actually did a collaboration on this with a bunch of retro PC guys on what they use to play old games. It goes into a lot more stuff than just windows 98 but there are a 2 or 3 Windows 98 builds in there.

I really love the look of the sharp x1

I really is a sharp looking machine.

Are those actual advertisements? I do not remember 80s/90s japanese advertisements just putting cute anime girls next to a thing to sell stuff.

No, it's a Japanese pixiv artist that has made mascots for apparently every home computer in existence.
I did find some actual advertisements though.

Pocket computers are cool too.

God that Sharp is sexy. Wish you could get cases that look half that good today.

the old desktop style is marketed for theater builds now. they still make somewhat similar stuff.

Fuck no, nigger. Older games used to set the speed off the CPU clock. 400 mhz is perfect, you're suggesting overkill.

Tomb Raider uses DOS and released in 1996.

You don't need XP for that, what are you doing

What's my best bet for running my vintage moonrune games? Like win 95 era.

I tried XP on a VM but it has issues with non unicode text.
>>>/hgg/90660

I don't think OP is talking THAT old.

this is actually a good point. OP, stop sucking dick for a minute and tell us exactly what era you're talking

Install language packs from the XP cd.

OP is a faggot who can't into wine

A VooDoo card is a must, since it's the only API that doesn't work with modern cards.

Try emulating a 3dfx without errors.

I know i fucked up but i don't want to install vista

it looks nice. I wish more case designers actually tried to make something that looked good. It's either maximize functionality with front drive bays and glaring rainbow RGB LEDs or look at my giant retarded window to see my robo-dog-man on my graphics card that's totally really cool guys also RGB lighting.

Does Wine even work with older games or Nipshit?

Every one of my computers that I've put together uses the exact same Cooler Master case. It looks its age, though. Silver bezel, black everything else, and a blinding blue LED power light. More basic cases look better, especially if you plan to paint them or put vinyl on them.

they better stick with qt 2D girls instead.