Terraria Thread

There are too many 1.3.6 spoilers to post individually at this point. This update has got to be close.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraria#Development_and_release
twitter.com/demilogic
terrariaotherworld.com/
calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Lol
github.com/blushiemagic/tModLoader/wiki
github.com/blushiemagic/tModLoader/tree/master/ExampleMod
youtube.com/watch?v=KChsUrYGLO0&list=PL9blm68_DhTneewUUXJRaRQmqoPOHp0lA
calamitymod.gamepedia.com/The_Absorber
thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Aquatic_Depths
forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/enemy-affixes.56134/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old thread here
Server information to follow probably.

Yoyo nerf when?

Never.

What's the comfiest way to play SP vanilla?

Depends on how many times you've played the game through before. If you've been through the current version several times then make a new world and character and start buildan.

HOW MUCH MORE WILL THE MADMAN ASK OF THAT POOR AND AGED ENGINE
WHEN WILL TERRARIA'S 2 SUPPOSEDLY MUCH BETTER ENGINE WILL COME OUT

All it really needs is the second Yoyo from the Glove/Bag to no longer be a thing, that alone means even a mid-tier Hardmode yoyo shits on the Terrablade/Influx Weaver which are the best pre-moonlord swords. Not even mentioning the range they have with the string and the counterweight.

Other potential changes could be them bouncing off of things more so they're harder to control, the inability to crit, etc.

THEN WHAT IS THE FUCKING POINT OF THE YOYO GLOVE/BAG YOU GOD DAMN RETARD?

Wow

Change it to something else you flailing sperg? Straight up fucking doubling the damage of Yoyos when their base DPS is already competitive with other melee weapons on top of being orders of magnitude more flexible was fucking stupid.

The best solution I think would be for the yoyo bag not clone your main yoyo but require you to have a second yo yo in your inventory and use that as the second yoyo. Maybe ignore two yoyo's of the same type as well.

That wouldn't make a damn difference, having two mid-tier hardmode Yoyos or Eye of Cthulu+Terrarian would still shit on all alternatives. If anything it would be worse in the case of mid-tier as you could have the Hel-Fire and Amarok inflicting On Fire and Frostburn at the same time.

Why do you care? Are you a big name in the Terraria Esports PVP League or some gay shit? I'll sit over here having fun with my stupid yoyo weapons, feel free to use any weapon class you want. I think it's hilarious that yoyos are the best weapon type in this game simply because Redigit loves yoyos in real life.

Damage scaling goes completely to hell in hardmode anyway.
The only thing else I could think of is to make yoyos, flails, and boomerangs their own class that don't scale off of melee multipliers.

Holy shit this thing's legit, I thought it was a shitty item that did like 6, it's doing like 14-18 plus crits

Niggers they're fucking broken compared to any other melee weapon and make them obsolete. The game obviously isn't some competitive shit but considering it has a structured PvE component there should at least be some semblance of parity between alternative weapons. At the moment there's no fucking point making the true swords or Terrablade since you can drop an Amarok or Hel-Fire piss easy then faceroll Hardmode even on expert. Just because a game is PvE oriented or "casual" doesn't mean there's no requirement for balance.

For example the penetrating weapons at endgame in Steamworld Heist are pretty fucking powerful compared to the earlier weapons since you can practically wipe a room with them if you line a shot up correctly, but this requires positioning on top of lucky enemy lineups and so forth. They are straight up better, but it's not by some obscene margin and the alternative weapons at least maintain some level of parity. In Terraria if you're Melee and using anything but a Yoyo you're actively crippling yourself.

Like I said before unless you make yoyos their own class that use their own armor and scaling there's nothing that can be done. The genie is out of the bottle.

The start of a tree fort

Yes, this works for anything, there could be an item you press that instakills everything on the screen and I could "just ignore it". In fact I ignore statue farms which are debatably broken as they don't really negatively impact anything and just let people who dislike mob grinding avoid it. Yoyo's turn Melee into "the Yoyo class" which is gay.
I've already explained why it's overpowered, if you're going to keep trying to discredit me with "u no like thing" you're a disingenuous cunt.
As it is they have the highest DPS in the game, while being a weapon for the class that gets the best armor and freedom to use defense boosting items. An overall change that brought other things up to par would just result in a shitload of powercreep, when Magic and Ranged are pretty good as they are. Yoyos need toned down. What I primarily want is Melee as a whole to get some change that brings it more on par with Ranged/Magic without having Yoyos be practically mandatory.
Nigger it's casual mockery, stop trying to pathologize it.

Mechanic is cutest.

Then that just goes back to melee being the beam sword class.
On the other hand spears DO need to be buffed quite a bit.

consider suicide, you inbred retard

None of the last dozen of updates made me interested in replaying, they didn't change the game substantially to warrant it. Once I was done with the Moon Lord around the time it came out I was pretty much done with the game. It's alright, but pretty grindy, progression and gameplay quality seriously decreases once starting hardmode.

When's server 2.0 going to be up? I can't play tomorrow (or any Thursday for that matter). I was thinking of rolling melee this time, or pure minions if there's not enough class variety

Reeee give me a sequel, the graphics and engine suck ass.

Drown yourself in rotting shit you petulant little cocksucker.

Yeah, they don't really get much love outside of being able to poke through walls and wreck worm type enemies. I'd like it if Melee had the same amount of Variety throughout progression as Ranged/Magic has but at this point I think the combat isn't going to change much between now and the final update since things will be slowing down as development gets underway for the next game.

Melee was badly executed in general, it was pretty hard to hit stuff with the short reach and limited angle and there weren't any real advantages so they went "let's make melee ranged, haha"

I wish I had saved more images from when I ran a server for /vg/ terraria general back on cuckchan a few years ago. Some user made a giant swastika out of slime blocks and later on some jewfaggot joined the server and complained about it so I banned his ass. Good times.

One of the things I hope for Terraria 2 is proper server tools because Tshock was a chore to use and some of the commands were buggy. Also, I may be remembering this wrong but I think the devs of Tshock were faggots of the highest order.

Hardcore Expert ironman

Maybe, but is the only game of this kind that is consistent on blocks maybe because of how crude it is. In something like starbound you can't barely tell a block from the other. The same reason why something like minecraft is popular even if it looks crude: It's functional. That being said, the engine is at the absolute limit and the dev keep stretching it.

How much will it be able to take do you think?

I dunno which Expert hardmode you all have been playing but even with a glove or bag I still find yoyos generally too dangerous to use. Does that change after Plantera or something? My very short experience with chlorophyte and shroomite armor tells me probably not.

I honestly think yoyos are relatively balanced. The only thing that makes then somewhat overpowered is their controllability compared to other melee damage types. Most yoyos have a use duration and can be kept out permanently and only one yoyo has projectiles.

Can there be a second fresh server anytime soon that isn't post moonlord?

Also since I heard some other guy want it vanilla, I would suggest at least adding Thorium and I guess maybe Fargowiltas if that's possible

Is the next Terraria game still going to use the shitty C# or something? It's incredible how the pirated Terraria version tends to crash pretty often or bugging out in MP which is noticeable by being not able to write anything in chat.

Terraria 2 probably isn't even in the works yet. Otherworld is not a proper successor and has a different gameplay focus so it doesn't count.

I've never had Terraria crash and I have over 1500 hours in it.

Yoyos are way worse than magic and ranged in late game. They are generally better overall than most melee weapons, HOWEVER the main reasons I would want to use a melee weapon at all are for close quarters and piercing, neither of which yoyos do very well at all.

So if you want a weapon for general use and absolutely must use a "melee" weapon, you pick a yoyo. If you just want the best weapon for the situation you pretty much never pick a yoyo unless that's all you got.

I can never get past hardmode. I love the dungeon crawling and digging and bulding, but the bosses are just so fucking clunky. Doing things like autistically building a platform that spans the entire map so you can fight one boss just isn't enjoyable to me.

this shit hasn't been posted in awhile
stop spazzing on balance the game is as hard as you want it to be.

Terraria 2 has been delayed for the foreseeable future due to the original team who worked on otherworld completely fucking it up, it was a train wreck that barely functioned and they did almost no work on it for the amount of time they worked on it so he fired them scraped what they had done and restarted work on Otherworld, he wont restart work on T2 until Otherworld is finished.

Look if you want to play a shitty non-game just play Minecraft. Balance is a legit discussion for actual games.

Speaking of balance, anyone ever feel like most of the pre-hardmode magic weapons are underpowered? Water Bolt is pretty good and Demon Scythe is fantastic, but I don't ever feel like wasting my precious gems on staves.

Those are pretty beautiful,wonder how long they took to make.

I don't know about that there's several pre hardmode magic weapons that are pretty nice: space gun, vilethorn, crimson rod, bee gun, flower of fire. Aqua scepter doesn't entirely suck.
That's what the amber staff is for.
I do wish there were very low level craftable weapons for magic users and summoners though. Something that's wooden bow/wooden sword tier.

Wasn't otherworld supposed to be the middleman in the waiting for Terraria 2? You'd thing they'd work on them simultaneously, specially since a different team was handling Otherworld, as so, I expected that Terraria 2 was in the works already. Even if it isn't and otherworld was a trainwreack, working on the first game still is stupid. The main dev should move to either of the other projects while letting an small team work on future updates of Terraria 1.

The game is pretty balanced as it is, the only problem being Melee at some point.

Yeah… After you mine some 500 or more desert fossil blocks to actually get the material you need. I'd rather put that valuable amber into crate potions honestly.

Oh right, Space Gun and Bee Gun are pretty nice. Of what use is Flower of Fire ? Especially when you've got a mighty Demon Scythe?

bump
s-server?

For what purpose? Terraria has already shit tons of NPC and they are fucking useless all the time, beside maybe offering a handful of somewhat useful items. How about expanding the current NPC and make them more useful like idk a dialogue or more quests? Quantity over quality I guess.

Also are they ever going to fix the sounds were all the firearms sounds like shit? It is triggering my autism that default Terraria one and firearms from other mods are using the exact same shitty "tok tok" firing sound, god damn. Yeah right a shroomite minigun uses the same sound as the musket rifle has, instead of a more powerful one to indicate that it is a upgrade from the shit rifles.

Yeah its not like having a feature which lets you re-scale the minimap size would be more useful. What a load.

Welp.

Would this be solved by making all swords/spears multiplied in size to where using Clouds sword from Final Fantasy 7 is the smallest size? Since that keeps it "Melee" while increasing striking radius.

>>>/reddit/

Little bit of Terraria history:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraria#Development_and_release
And concerning the original dude, Andrew Spinks:
So who is working on Terraria these days?
Looks like Spinks hasn't tweeted since September last year:
twitter.com/demilogic
terrariaotherworld.com/
Can anyone find anything recent about release dates (even tentative) for Otherworld?

Diamond Staff is pretty powerful early on and doesn't use many Diamonds but it's best to check the Dungeon as soon as possible to see if Water Bolt has spawned above 0 depth.

There aren't any bosses you should have to do this for, making really long platforms so you can just keep running while shooting at the boss chasing you the whole time is full cheese mode. You can usually make 2-4 platforms about a screen or two wide with 10-15 blocks height between them with some regen items and blocks for cover and that should be ample for dealing with bosses. This setup should only take ~20 minutes to put together and besides bosses restricted to a particular region you can then re-use that arena.

If a Flail is a melee weapon, then why isn't a yoyo?

Not enough. When I think about making a village I rapidly run out NPC's to populate it. I wish we even had generic NPCs just for aesthetic purposes. Not everyone makes a castle or a commieblock fort for their people to live in.
Well expert Moonlord if you're using the mechanical cart is sort of like that.

The map-long platform is really good for the Twins and Moonlord. It's also really useful for traversing the map, so you might as well.

because yoyos have a fuckton of optional modifiers like strings and counterweights

They're still developing? I haven't played Terraria in years.

Then you have no idea. Start a fresh playthrough pronto.

Agreed not enough but they need to start pacing the characters better and making the aquirment of them more involved. I liked finding them or having certain guidelines for getting them.

How is this coming along?

I had a busy day today so I didnt get a chance to play it.

I wish the worldgen was more varied. The macro features are more or less the same. Thinking of trees, a coastal or jungle fort would have been cooler, but more annoying and less useful than just making it at spawn

I do too. I think they standardized worldgen a little too much in the past several major updates.

When will they add something new in terms of gameplay? The last few updates and seemingly the next one are just tweaks and visual stuff.

The last progress update was along the lines of "it's shit so we're starting over", expecting a "release date" is a bit unrealistic.

In fact it might be worse than "we're having to start over from scratch". I get the impression that it's more like "we're having to comb through Engine's shitty code and other assets because there are some good nuggets in there and we can't monetarily justify trashing all of it."

Make you wonder what mistakes the original team made. Were they too slow? Did they try turning into a Clash of Clans ripoff?
Maybe they made nothing but screenshots and there was no actual game underneath.

Bumping. Will post my second base eventually.

Helicopter when?

The problem is that they keep trying to shove more stuff into the same amount of map space. This ends up creating less space for each individual thing.

They could remedy that somewhat by limiting corruption/crimson to one instance per world and getting rid of little deserts since deserts are they're own proper biome now.

Yeah why do corruption and crimson need so many instances anyway? Would anything be lost if there was only one in a world? Am I just whining because I want an easier time trekking to the edge of the map to fish a Reaver Shark?

>not Cultist

>(((someone))) made it so the blond nurse is dating the brown NPC
Hmmmmmmmmmm……

Nurse was always a slut. This is nothing new.

What are you talking about?

I always imagined Nurse to be a sarcastic, slightly chubby middle-aged lady rather than a young horny broad.

Now that I think about it, the writing for the NPCs is pretty awful. They're full of memey references and unfunny remarks.

Is there any wiki or comprehensive resource for Terraria modding? I've never really had any motivation to into modding or programming for other games but there are some tweaks I'd like to make that I assume wouldn't be too strenuous.

They're mostly just for utility, the stuff they say is filler.

I would like to know if there is a wiki as well. I've got the same mods for the server mentioned in the previous thread and I'm very confused on what drops what and how the fuck do I plan for items.

Well she's wearing a pretty scandalous costume for that.

Well, originally the main theme of terraria was MCs fight against corruption/crimson and free the world out of them. I do agree that it should be a single big patch instead of several small patches, specially since there will be more once you beat WoF.

calamitymod.gamepedia.com/Lol
You gotta be fucking kidding me.

There is nothing wrong with commieblocks tbh

It's like you expect mods to not be memey self-referential circlejerks or something.

Don't they have recipe browser? IIRC you can check what drops what with it, either that or that was in the planned features for it. Failing that check the gamepedia wikis for each mod as they're usually the most comprehensive.

wtf?
is this leftypol now?

That's a very luxurious model comrade.

too orderly tbh

Easily the coolest ugly build I've ever seen.
Fucking inspired.

Shit that's nice. Stalin would be proud.

Get on my fucking level.

It does have a recipe browser, but it's not detailed as of material drops specifically from the mods. There are a bunch of materials that show as being needed, but aren't stated as to the methods to obtain them. There is a wiki for the mods, but there isn't any pages on them.

Holy fuck this thing is fun to use, it turns groups of enemies into mince damn quick and taking potshots at hornets moving at mach speed through underground jungle makes me giggle like a motherfucker. I decimated my savings rolling it to Unreal and have my crit stacked to just under 30%, so there's usually at least 1 crit in every volley, so between that and a Shark Tooth Necklace it's hitting 100-120 damage if something stomachs a full volley. I think I'm going to just use shotgun type weapons on this playthrough.

That thing looks pretty neat yeah. Has the usual shotgun stuff plus the explosive projectile which will whack things with high defense nicely. I wish there were hotkeys you could bind to change ammo types quickly as the shotguns really seem like they benefit from switching ammo types frequently. Crystal rounds for crowd control, Ichor for meaty targets, etc.

Any word on what engine they're using in their sequel and spinoff?

Probably its own made from scratch engine.

Guys what happened.

Are you using any mods?

fucking Holla Forums, at least I got dubs

I hardly give a fuck about how my commieblocks are.

Yeah, the ones for the server.

There's a server up?

If there is I'm building a device that will flood the world in honey.

BURN THE COAL
PAY THE TOLL

Did u kno

Whenever I play expert mode I always lose my motivation a bit before the wall of flesh.

I lose my motivation if it's not multiplayer because it's boring as fuck otherwise.

Maybe you lack autism? I could spend all day tunneling around.

This is the wiki you seek:
github.com/blushiemagic/tModLoader/wiki
You can get an idea of how the code works using the ExampleMod:
github.com/blushiemagic/tModLoader/tree/master/ExampleMod

I kinda feel the same pre-hardmode as for most of it you could find stuff underground that is useful or better than your current gear. Once you reach Hardmode most of the time you're only going to find junk underground that you'll just flog for some money. You don't really need to explore underground to get the Hardmode ores as you can fish or just check the roof of hell which is safer than braving the hardmode underground mobs with weak gear. The only point at which you really need to explore is finding life fruit and chlorophyte. It doesn't help that exploring isn't very tense unless you play on hardcore. Death on Mediumcore is just tedious since all you have to do is throw on backup gear, trek back to where you died while avoiding mobs then teleport home and re-organize.

I find a lot of more open-ended games have this problem where the hobo phase is the most engaging then once you break out of it most activities are no longer very interesting. In the hobo phase you will generally have a whole bunch of different goals and can have fun working towards each of them. Once you get out of it you generally only have one or two goals as most side activities end up being pointless unless they tickle your autism bone.

You don't need huge ass platform for Moonlord, not even on Expert.
The only boss that inexperienced people build such platforms is wall of flesh pretty much, if you don't want to build then work on your DPS instead, even if it means that you have to temporary switch your build to entirely different type of weapon.
vid related

I just finished doing a rebuild of all of rulick's example builds. I would encourage everyone to practice this style.
Interestingly enough the "interior of the house" build is actually a valid NPC dwelling with the exception of the lack of a chair. You could probably hide the chair more cleverly than I did. Also apparently NPC's like the bath. He hangs out in it all day.
youtube.com/watch?v=KChsUrYGLO0&list=PL9blm68_DhTneewUUXJRaRQmqoPOHp0lA

What are some recommended mods that add more content to the game? I'm just looking for new things to do.

Problem with the hobo phase in Terraria is that the progression is so structured that you have an obvious route to success every time unless you gimp yourself somehow. The only gamechangers are whether you get red balloon/bottled cloud/flying carpet/early water bolt, everything else is a given. It could do with forced progression after a time limit or something.

Thorium
Calamity (latest version is mediafire com/file/q7bv1ma8mc71nf7/CalamityModV1.2.4.204.zip )
Spirit
Antiaris
Split
GRealm (mostly built around a new invasion event, has some cross-mod content)
Fargo's (for boss rushes and insane endgame items that'll motivate you to collect all kinds of random shit)

otherworld when

Soon(tm)

This fucking shit is insane.

Which mod are you using to have exp/levels? This seems like the kind of question that gets asked all the time, but still.

Experience and Classes mod which gives you an accessory that improves its buff as you level up

Haha fuck no. That's a garbage-tier mod that totally fucks up vanilla's balance and is the Terraria equivalent of STALKER slavmods.

Are they finally going to implement infinite-range building and area-fill tools rather than having to manually place each square? Even with builder potion and max build speed, it can still take a minute or two to construct a wall for a large room, which is pretty painful.

When the fuck is tmodloader going to work for GOG copies? I have no fucking clue why it's a major undertaking when all that should be required is stripping the Steam API calls. Hell there's a map customizer thing called Terracustom that has tmodloader in the executable to support generating maps with mods that isn't bound to Steam, yet somehow this seemingly simple change hasn't made it back to tmodloader itself.

I'm guessing they'll include it when they update it for the 1.3.6 but considering they already made the stupid decision to bind it to Steam I'm uncertain.

Theres already gog version

Yes but it's several versions behind and requires Terraria

Maybe in 1.4.

Don't go for Spirits, it only adds bloat to your game that is tedious to no end.

I like Calamity but this is true.
The difficulty is ramped up to the extreme and only having the set pieces that make your armor raise to 100, grant you 7 minions and using the accessories that reduce damage by 800 or something can allow you to survive.
Calamity changes the game so Calamity becomes the focus, making anything you might find from other mods obsolete in terms of armor, accessories and weapons.
Case in point:
calamitymod.gamepedia.com/The_Absorber
Which is post cultist, granted but still it outclasses anything you might have had before.

you just need to do a hex edit to make it work iirc

I agree and I lost patience with it myself, but you could do worse if you're looking for more things to do.
I haven't found this to be true. Thorium gives you viable alternatives way into post-ML and that's considered to be a "balanced" mod. I'll give you that Calamity's accessories are often completely fucking absurd, but you picked a bad example. It's shit like Seraph Tracers and the dash+no knockback shields which make Calamity gear mandatory for some of its bosses, not armor or DR for tanking better. It's about learning the patterns and not getting hit. In fact I think the mod has caps on %DR so you shouldn't be trying to stack it even if the boss design wasn't trying to push you away from it in the first place.

This was a pretty fun fight, flying through the air all over the fucking place.

Well I think I found out what the Calamity mod devs did with the sky islands.
This was on a corruption world.

Never user.

Are there any upcoming updates and/or existing mods for improving the Ocean biome?
The ocean has no right to be as boring as it is. Expand and deepen it to have explorable coral reefs, or something. Anything.
All it has now is one NPC spawn, a tree-type, and an optional boss. It stinks.

Thorium mod adds a biome that is located underneath one of the oceans on a world.
thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Aquatic_Depths

Very nice, just too much fuckery to get things in the background, I hope the secret changes are better ways to place backgrounds and "inactivated" blocks and tiles.

Jesus Christ how horrifying, but at least it's not a Plantera of Stoning.

This is pretty much exactly what I want out of an underground ocean.

I want to run a 2-Player world with a friend between our barely compatible work schedules. Are there any other mods I should add alongside this one, or is Thorium solid on its own? Anything/Everything else in ?
I want some new stuff but don't want to bog the game down too much with tedium or absurd difficulty for two busy guys.

What mod?

Thorium is great on its own. You might want to consider Fargo's if you're short on time; it's not really balanced but it will let you farm multiple bosses and make money quickly when you want to.

Furniture really should just be naturally stackable without having to resort to glitching. If I was doing something like this for one of my own builds I would probably just use the dynasty dresser rather than having to wonk around with the glass door, but then again I don't think they were in the game when he made that build anyway.

Enemy Affixes
forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/enemy-affixes.56134/

calm down

Depends on how much of a plan they had in mind before they built it I guess.

Died to Mothron for probably the third time in a row after reaching hardmode now. Anyone got any tips for dealing with a solar eclipse after mechanical bosses are defeated? My current setup of 5 platforms floating in the air seems ineffective. Do I need to make a giant enclosed arena just to keep Vampires out while I deal with Mothron?

that beach house is rad

I hope that ghost is actually just a mod enemy.

Nope I'm a badass motherfucker.

Oh thank god I can get rid of those giant assholes the Tremor mod added post-Moon Lord.
Built a house for the cyborg and the martian NPC from Spirit mod

Put one in the dryad's commiebloc and say she has some dank kush.