Flight Sims: DCS/IL-2/RoF/MFS

I haven't seen a thread on this topic for a while, does anyone on Holla Forums actually play flight sims? At least for IL-2, there seems to always be at least one multiplayer server with a decent population. I've been taking German planes (109/190) behind Russian lines, lurking just outside their airfields at treetop level and pouncing on Russian planes who assume they're safe. Watching replays, I've noticed that at least a couple times a Russian plane who should have seen me passes by, either due to simply not seeing me or assuming I'm friendly. Still not adept at actual dogfights, but progress is being made.

Other urls found in this thread:

il2dcg.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

(((DCS))) (((BOS))) (((ROF))) < ((MFS)) < il21946 with BAT

There has always been something that felt off about IL-2 1946, but I could never put my finger on it.

I picked up IL2-1946 for a dollar and been having a hell of a lot of fun. Its the first flight sim I've played since Flight Simulator 98. I'm trying to survive the Winter War in a J8A.

Flight Simulators are a very niche genre my friend. I grew up on an Air Force base in Japan, so my father got a copy of Falcon 4.0 from a pilot that was moving to another base and was giving away a bunch of computer stuff. Still have the box and manual even. It upsets me that DCS has the monopoly on high detail flight simulators and has the gall to use ludicrous DRM to limit how many installs of the aircraft you want to fly on your computer. So yeah, I always find myself going back to IL-2 and Falcon 4.0 BMS. I'd be lying though, if I said I wasn't looking forward to the F-14 module coming out for DCS.

I've always felt that it was bugged to shit, but never got so bad that it was unplayable.

Do these games need a joystick or are they good with mouse and keyboard? Want to get into the genre but don't want to shell out the money for a stick to play a genre I may not end up liking.

You can't fly jets in IL-2 1946, faggot

Quit being a fucking casual and just get a stick.

Afraid a joystick is pretty much a necessity . Some games have an alternative 'mouse-aim' control scheme, but it's not the same. I'd suggest swinging by a Goodwill or your equivalent, you can probably find one there cheap.

Sticks are a necessity if you want to get the full experience. You can try using keyboard and mouse, but you'll soon find that it's impractical and not precise.

Problem I have with flight sims is they just don't have the aircraft that I am interesting in. Bar Strike Fighters series there is virtually nothing that covers Cold War aircraft in detail, with nothing really that covers Korean War to pre Vietnam.

DCS has MiG-15/F86, but the period following that has basically nothing, true.

What I would do for a detailed F-4 Phantom, F-100 Super Saber, F-104 Star Fighter, or A-7 Corsair II simulator.

Yeah I think bugged is the best way to describe it. It felt like things weren't flowing naturally.

Add onto that planes like the Canuck, G.91, Buccaneer, Lansen, Draken, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen, Lightning, Gnat, Javelin, Hunter, Scimitar, Swift, Sea Fury, SU-9, Étendard, Mirage, Mystère, frankly list goes on. 50's and 60's had some interesting craft a lot of which that actually fought in wars yet see no love.

For some reason I tried really hard to play war thunder with a stick and in cockpit mode. Mouse control and third person cam is for fucking niggers and that's all I have to say about that.

War Thunder isn't a flight sim, so you're in the wrong thread.

yes you can thats why i said BAT mod

MP Falcon/IL-2 1946 when?

The planes are too slow compared to reality, Cliffs of Dover, BoX.

You should try DCG by Lowengren, it's a big step up from vanilla the campaign generator
il2dcg.blogspot.com/

Falcon is GOAT but I'm too retarded to be good at it, well mostly the A-G stuff. The A-A is just awareness that I'll get by playing more.

I'm already using it. It tends to treat every mission like it's make or break for the war effort which is a little much, but its a damn sight better than vanilla. Maybe its just because you're so outgunned in the Finnish campaign, though. I haven't gotten around to using it for the others yet.

There are planes with jet engines even without mods so I don't know what you're on about.

Had lots of fun in Il-2 1946 multiplayer. The latest patch made the N1K1s flyable. A fun plane.
Il-2 is the perfect game. No DRM, no account creating or such bullshit, it can be modded and official patches are still coming. Pity about the usual swastika censorship, but at least they can be added

I tried getting into DCS, played some A10/Su27/Black Shark campaigns casually, but I feel like I need a better joystick and trackIR/VR to really enjoy it - looking around without it really feels like shit. I can't really justify that purchase for a single game I might get bored of after a few days. Perhaps when I have more money to waste

I just had an accident in my pants.

Well then user let's get you changed and nice and secure into a diaper. Lay down. Chop chop!

PissyB please leave.

JUST

That's only the Post WW2 stuff, the WW2 module has just as many aircraft, if not more.

Nope

And how many of those planes actually have proper flight model and are not just fancy 3D models with copypasted flight characteristics?

I use BMS for modern jets, the ww2 module is the best part of BAT mod, as it should be.

Is it usable with DCG?

Yeah it is

faggot

I am tempted to go down that road, but I will never accomplish anything anymore if I ever decide to do it.

I remember playing that game for ages, and every day I would try a new plane. Never even got the modern stuff, just the WWII planes.
I especially liked doing campaigns as bombers. Starting from some random airbase, flying for like an hour or two, then have to fly perfectly straight and actually hit the target, while fearfully panning the camera around to spot enemy interceptors.
He111 and TB-3 best planes. Fucking loved the whole parasite fighter thing the TB-3 had, never got much use out of it though. The He111 is for Gotta go fast missions.
Honorable mentions of Do217 and Bf110.

Arcade mode? Third person with mouse and keyboard is the only way to play. I get first place every damn time.I tried playing simulator mode, but can only bomb bases and airfields.

Bombing moving ground units is nearly impossible since you can't even find them on the floor, and once you do find them you're not positioned correctly and there's no time to correct it before you fly past them. Also trying to battle in fighter planes is also extremely difficult. You can either look around or fly, but you can't do both. (cockpit view with mouse and keyboard) And if you look away for a split second to readjust your plane, you lost your enemy and then he's suddenly hits you from behind.

Head-ons are scary.

Afraid I'm a bit new to flight sims, but thanks for bringing up your suggestion.

If you want a modern plane sim BMS is really reaching the heights of for free concentrated autism.

I want a Tom Hardy flight simulator.

Outside of the steep learning curve (which is literally learning how to fly a plane,) simulators will always be a niche because they're insanely expensive with the peripherals and the content. Speakling of peripherals, what's a recommended joystick and throttle?

BMS is the product of nearly two decades of modding for Falcon 4.0. It is undoubtedly the most comprehensive flight sim you can find.

Best flight sim for a newbie to get into? I grew up on flight sims back in the 80s, but haven't played anything in at least 15+ years.
Combat preferred, and more modern-ish than WWII preferred. Ideas?

Honestly WW2 or rise of flight era of planes is ideal to start off and 1946 is probably one of the easiest to get into. But again, I only do coop or solo shit so I can't talk about multiplayer where you get your assraped for the longest of time if you jump in there right away.

Are there any modern dogfighting games that aren't free to play, grind heavy/pay to win multiplayer only/MMO bullshit? Like a good single player campaign with no modern gaming poz.

Read the fucking thread you spoonsucking retard.

Will any game ever top IL-2?