Quake (((Champions)))

I heard this shitty game allows custom games now. it's behind a paywall. Anyone know if it would allow me to turn the shitty Hero and ability system off or does this game force you to play it as the faggy Overwatch clone it wants to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

finder.com.au/no-snapmap-or-mod-support-for-quake-champions),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Kek. UT4 might be dead but its nice to know it was the better game in the end.

Dunno what's a "custom game" but it was suggested that there won't be any kind of modding support (finder.com.au/no-snapmap-or-mod-support-for-quake-champions), one of the reasons to which being that it's not even powered by the id Tech 6 engine.

The biggest problem with QC, in my opinion, is that it's a game for nobody. id Software wanted to pander to the mainstream audience neglecting the fans of the original games in the process. But as it turned out, the mainstream audience is too busy playing Overwatch to care about QC, and the ignored fans just continued to play whatever version of Quake III they were playing. Of course, unless you count all the (((professional))) players. But these people will play literally anything as long as there's at least a small chance to earn money.

Serves you right, nu-id. Not even paid shills like Rocket Jump Ninja will save your unwanted by everyone failure of a game.

I remember saving up my allowance and buying Quake in '96 even though my parents explicitly told me I wasn't allowed to play it. They were apart of that crowd who believed video games caused violence.
I remember being so hyped for it after hearing Trent Reznor was going to do the music, I still have my old copy of Pretty Hate Machine my older cousin gave me - another thing my parents didn't want me to have.

I could only play it if my parents were gone or if I stayed up late. When I first popped it in and heard that sick industrial theme blaring I couldn't wait to play it.
It blew me the fuck away, it became my new favorite game. There was something about it, everything just clicked together so well.
The effort that went into it, the love and care, the sheer passion that was poured into the game shined through.

This was a game made by people who loved games, this was a game made by people who wanted to play the game they were making.
Fast forward to 2018, we have a cynically made piece of shit latching on to that game's name for some cheap brand recognition.
None of Quake's devs are working on it.
Trent Reznor, Sonic Titan nor any other cool artists are making the music.
Half the devs probably never playtested the game, let alone plan to throw LAN parties with other devs after it's done.
A large portion of the devs without a doubt have never played a single Quake game before in their entire lives.

What we have is a cashgrab trying to get a piece of the CRAPCUNTS pie and will probably fail just as hard as all those other shitty soulless cashgrabs like Paladins and Lawbreakers.

Everything I love turns to shit.

Funnily enough there's more hype for its Doom mod knockoff than the game itself ever had.

I had no idea this was a thing and i thank you for notifying me.

The free market will fix it

I'm not even opposed to the idea of champions or heroes in a game like Quake. It could add a lot in the way of alternative playstyles, fuck with the meta in a lot of interesting ways, and mess with the traditional short-term and long-term strategies for Duels in favor of something unexpected. It's not like having a character roster ruins the balance in fighting games, and I don't think I need to say anything about the competitive fighting scene.

That said I'm no fan of how Champions treats it heroes and their abilities, their abilities being the equivalent of an Ultimate or Trap Card where you're practically always forced on the defensive when one is used against you, or it just doubles as some kind of speed boost for whoever uses it. The only exception being Ranger's Dire Orb because it's not a straight up bonus when used as all it does is teleport you, and actually adds a lot in the way of psychological warfare.

I could foresee a lot more interesting abilities like devices you can place which permanently freeze item spawns until you are killed, hologram decoys, being able to vomit slipping gel which makes it feel like you're walking on ice when walking on it but also lets you build up speed to crazy extents, gravity spheres which cause projectiles to bend around them and move in strange directions, and so on. However, heroes in Champions need to be suitable for every game mode, so stuff like locking down item spawns is fairly useless in DM and some heroes are conversely more useful in team modes than Duel. Bethesda wants to push the team sport angle for QC because it's team e-sports which are the most viewed and generate the most revenue, but it won't work because almost nobody plays Quake for teamplay, those who do play Unreal Tournament instead.

shut the fuck up

We need to set up a game night when this thing drops. It looks fun.

Just a correction; Id Software had nothing to do with this shit. It was all Bethesda.

That's looks good.

Yeah, looks a little odd seeing Quake stuff rendered as sprites, but I can get past that. Also kudos to the mod for supporting so many source ports.

I'd be down,no idea who the official organizer of those are though,would have to contact em

Looking good, first Hunters Moon, now this.
Industry is so shit its stimulating the community to make a alternatives to the official, even before the final release, and better.

It's beautiful. I am definitely down for a game night when this drops.

Isn't this just 2d Quake Champions essentially, except with coop, no strafejumping, and no netcode problems?

no thanks. doom mods are the butt of the modding community.

The engine they are using for this game is honestly one of the least optimized things I have ever played. I can run better look games like Metro on high but can barely run this piece of shit on medium at 30 fps.

Bethesda owns id, there is no difference these days

This is on Doom, of all things?

i still have the quake champions pack from my ryzen cpu never used it yet

Wait, same Overwatch gameplay in Doom and now everyone likes it?

It's free, not hampered by incompetent developers and not horribly optimized.

So Quake Champions would be liked by people if it was free to play, the developers were less known, and the netcode was fixed.

The champions and Overwatch gameplay is fine. And maybe the removal of strafejumping is ok too (assumption because of the difference between Doom and Quake engine).

No, he said incompetent developers. There are lots of well known competent developers.

I know. But I don't even know who the mod developers are hence me referring to the developers as less known.

Doom guy appeared in Quake 3 though

Why couldn't at least get the #forthecasuals DOOM treatment and have a modern Singleplayer game? Why does it have to be Bethesda holding the IP? Why has every Quake singleplayer since the original not deployed medieval architecture, weird af monsters, kick ass Lovecraft vibes and handheld torture weapons?

They went all unreal tournament, huh?

No, and the original Quake did have it's space soldiers and war elements. But my freeware demo version impressed more upon me the dark dungeons, enemy-melee-versus-player-guns-combat, and spooky tone. What it has become versus my initial and resulting lasting impressions are woefully divergent. It's my own problem born from fucked up associations, but I'd love a direct sequel to my Quake head canon. Also I fucking love Ranger. I often think of him with a nailgun lit by torches facing off against a Shambler in a dark ancient tunnel. No other universe gives this feel. Shit.

Dirty Bomb is basically Overwatch but with more tactics in it and it's still a fun game. (Like if Overwatch and Rainbow Six Siege had an autistic love child… that was born years before they were born) Again, it's free and not overhyped trash like Overwatch. Also Dirty Bomb has better visuals and humor than Overwatch does. Granted, yes, this is just opinion.

Dirty bomb has nothing to do with overwatch, all characters share the same weapons and the only difference 8other than different health/movespeed depending on the character) is 1/2 "abilities" which are basically an unique weapon binded to the Q key. It has more in common with tf

The doom engine is very versatile

It had some sort of classic mod, iirc the main counterpoint for retards defending the game was "just play classic mode instead of q3/live", but I dont know anything about the game

Looked it up. The only way to play this shitty game in "Classic" mode is to go to custom games and play it with abilities turned off with your friends, that is the only way to play it without overwatch shit. But even worse is that they didn't even put it in yet so you still can't turn the abilities off.

It is not just your own, user.

I have such fond memories of playing Quake beta multiplayer at one of the U of MN libraries in the middle of the night. Eventually moving on to the QuakeWorld client, and competing in huge ThreeWave CTF tourneys… Then later Rocket Arena (I guess lost, and replaced now by Clan Arena).

Clearly epic's just following trends.

Every thread

He could have said something like "it is an advancement on what makes quake live so good so fans of that game should definitely give this a shot and I believe they'll be hooked". Instead he just comes off as saying "please stop playing quake live, please!"

The desperation is just oozing out of him, it's very unsettling.