Triggered

Why third person video games don't use proper animations against walls and other objects?

A GAME IS NOT GOOD IF IT LACKS GENUINE LOVE AND CARE PUT INTO IT

You want every game to be Assassin's Creed?

bump

Assassin's Creed only has proper animation when you walk past NPCs but not walls and other objects. Same as Hitman 2016.

Because it's a superfluous and meaningless feature that all autismos like you notice/care about. There, did that answer your question you subhuman?

breath of thegooddoes this proper

What game is that? Is it good?

Elex. I like it.

Thanks lad. I'll check it out.

Y'know, developers having no care or passion for what they're creating whatsoever.

0/10

What third person game has the best attention to detail for this sort of thing? Is it GTA4?

the best little detail they put in the game is when denuvo______

I thought it got removed?

yeah, immediately after going independent.

Even in GTA 3 and VC you recoil when you run against the wall.

That and the first Mafia but it has nothing to do with anything 3PS-specific.

i never understood this mimi

Rigorously false. Play it some time.

If only they had unlimited time and funds to spend on unimportant things.

All the old games had them - which is why they were 100% bug-free masterpieces, with millions of animations for every singe scenario, no matter how minute or unimportant.
Also, the bugs they did (not) have were charming regardless of severity and are not considered flaws, like bugs for modern games are.

All old games are 1000/10, all new are garbage.

asscreed is probably the closest you can get right now
i'm pretty sure in 2 if you ran up to a wall without climbing it, the character would put his arms against the wall

I really didn't like it. Maybe its because I wanted to leave for the Clerics or do the main quest but was stuck grinding boring quests with the LARPers so I could maybe get better gear.

Back to /vg/, harkach scum.

Amateur

How often did that actually come up? I remember it looking pretty cool back in the day, but looking back I don't remember ever actively using it.

Not too often, but it could still be used pretty usefully in some places in the original trilogy.

What do sam's goggles smell like? haha just wondering.

I think Black Mesa did this too. It's a lot of work to implement these details that serve no purpose to the gameplay. Dev time is limited, so you don't waste it in meaningless things.

This is just not true. And I hope you stop giving this bullshit excuse for low effort lazy shitcoding.

Take the barrel for example.

The hard time consuming coding is already done: barrel.object has weight, dimensions, orientation and position. The bullet hole decal position with oil spill subroutine is already there. All you have to do is to add barrel.object to have a "how full" variable, it can even be just 1 to 0. Every bullet hole decal just checks the "how full" by y-position, this is already done by the routine that puts the decal in right place. So no super consuming extra processing time needed. Only the "spill time" gets set and "how full" variable lowers.

Physics objects have to do a decal check when rotated anyway so the "spill time" and "how full" gets updated with no extra coding. It's takes literally 5 minutes to add barrels working like they should, that is if you are retarded and it takes 5 minutes to write 4 lines of code

If you want to do it properly, you can tie the "how full" to object weight. That's one or two lines of code more.

Fuck you for reenforcing this shit meme of hard and time consuming coding for little details. Little details like this barrel are made by people who like what they are doing, and like to put more effort in just to make the product a little better.

Depends on the little detail really. Yeah that barrel shit wouldn't be hard to code at all (though it would be harder if the barrel was also a physics object, clearly isn't in that webm). Other stuff like getting the player character to correctly adjust their animations to details in the gameworld could even up being a bitch to implement.

Actually on second glance it does move a little when it is fired at so maybe it is.

No. It doesn't take 5 minutes to do the barrel thing. It might not be a full 8 hour session but it's not 5 minutes. My point was that there's always higher priority things to spend dev time on. Details are details.

There's also such a thing as being able to develop a game that you can afford to throw in some random details, and I always love seeing it be done. Take the breath effect in MMX3's ice stage, which only appears when he's damaged significantly.

but for the walking against walls thing the conkers bad fur day devs said it took them minutes to do

Too bad AAA devs don't bother with those either.

It would depend on what you have to work with. In the examples provided above, you'd need some "twist body to avoid tangential wall as you run by it" animation, and some game logic to trigger and blend said upper body animation with the normal running, taking into account angles of approach and such. In my experience, any programming problem is always more complicated than when you first think of it, which is why I keep saying it's likely not worth the effort (although moving sideways to avoid a pole without losing speed might be worth it).

kek

oh my God.

of course that exists

Like Prototype, except you absorb people through anus.

Now I'm wondering why I didn't see this sooner.

please dont tell me someone out there finds this hot

This is why God hates us.

I see someone saved that during my spam spree.

I thought it was hot until about three seconds in.

I had a dream I did this

I ain't even disgusted. More amazed than anything.

Pay me then. Faggot. This shit ain't free. You think I'm gonna go around every corner and every pole and every tree and placing some shitty copy paste, system slowing code that will make you turn slightly sideways? Fuck that.

Why?

Pre-order now and unlock the horse DLC!

okay man, that's enough, this ain't the LOL thread.

This shit is hilarious and at the same time mortifying

Why contain it?

/thread

JESUS CHRIST.

you already deserve to die

Alright user. You win.

Why do they have such a negative reaction to the farting but willingly get anal vore'd?

Holy shit.

I don't think those horses will be shitting for a while.

women tbh

I'd play this.

I'm not going to forget this ever. One day as I lay in bed in my 50's, I'll think of this.

A better question is why you think you'd have to apply that code to every obstacle, rather than apply a single variable to the parent object of those obstacles, which the character has code to react to under the correct conditions.

Why

Because that shit is EXPENSIVE and doesn't make me any MONEY! BUY MY DLC!

Why not?

Its just Wolfspider/Chaosyourgod literally shitposting for attention. His sorry ass deserves a ban every time he posts. Just filter, hide, report, and move on.

mild self awareness?

Is that the underage chucklefuck that avatarfags as a spider?

Newfags pls go and stay go

Don't bait me user, I'll bite. Nice digits though.

What ever happened to staying on topic?

The real philosophical question is: "Is it worth staying on topic in a shitty one liner thread?"

An even deeper question might be "Is it even possible to stay on topic in a one sentence thread?"

Is this what a boy pussy looks like?

what the fuck

No this is

Guy who posted horse webms here
who?

From reading some technical details and hearing it from interviews of devs of the late 90s to early 2000s making a single collision animation for hitting a while if you're directly facing it and running into it is actually trivial to do. I mean christ GTV Vice City has a fucking tripping mechanic from a bug you can easily replicate.

I think Uncharted 4 does that against objects, but i only watched videos of it so i'm not so confident that i'd jump up and mention it. Also Uncharted as a series isn't taken kindly to around these here parts.

well thats a new one for me

DELET THIS

GTA

Nah

Devs don't add it in because it's a hassle.
If you want to add shit like putting hands against walls when you run into them, or turning slightly to dodge objects, that's all well and good.
Then you get a small number of autists that demand that something else be added to make it more realistic, ad infinitum because you're never sated.

Honestly, retards that screech about animations and clipping not being realistic are as cancerous as the normalfags that want every single game to have lifelike graphics.

I never contradicted anything you said. I know how much work goes into games. My point was that, in the event you did decide to put in the work for that feature, his solution for it was even more work than it needed to be.

Last webm isn't that impressive. We've had roach physics since Half-Life. Maybe in Duke Nukem 3D but my memory's hazy on that.

It's not that hard, it's just that devs don't know how to do it and don't care about doing it. Vid relaated

Nope, see embed

Hilarious

Is that yellow dude Ray William Johnson

Terribly interesting embed. Thank you, user.

Probably around 4 places in the whole game. Eh, it was still cool.

heh

All I can think about is how low effort this quality is, not even concerned about the subject matter.

is that the prison in sc1 fairly early on in the game?

holy shit am I the only one who finds this hillarious?

There's a lot of squeamish newfags on this board that cover their eyes to this shit like that one streamer does when he sees naked chicks.