Messy Space

Whatever happened to this type of aesthetic for space levels? Super bright stars, asteroids and debris floating everywhere, everything man made is angular shaped metal with lights everywhere.

Because modern devs have shit taste and 80% of the players are graphics whore that allergy to angular objects.
What is the best way to play sonic adventure 2 on PC? i heard the steam version only works half the time.

That aesthetic is basically 1960s B movies. The idea of what sci-fi looks like has changed drastically.

I never had a single issue with SA2 on steam. Works like a dream and is the best version of you have a good controller. You're probably thinking of SA1, the steam version is by far the worst version of that game until you get the dreamcast conversion mod that fixes a lot of bugs and restores the graphical effects lost porting from the DC.

I've seen this aesthetic used heavily in the 90's and early '00's though.

Aside from how corny the story is it's a piece of shit mostly due to the Knuckles/Rouge levels which make up half the game along with the "mech" missions, just watch Kill la Kill or play Generations.

Games lag a decade or two behind movies, 90s FPS was based off of 80s action movies for example.

Probably because the Ark is also a 50 year old space colony.

The new perception of Sci-Fi is shit.

You need the emerald power.

It has to do with SA2B being an incredibly kiddy style that also has a complete disregard for any sense of realism.

I have no problem with it, but I just hate how everything looks the exact same every generation. You have over a hundred years of good sci-fi and people only ever choose the same exact designs every few years.

SA2 does have a serious technical problem: it keeps the GPU so busy that sometimes the OS thinks it has crashed and forces the graphics driver to restart. Which causes the game to freeze for a few seconds once in a while. It doesn't affect everyone, but it did affect me.

Adventure 2 on Steam is fine. If you want to go even further, the mod "The New Challengers" adds a whole load of features while keeping the base game intact. There's no reason to not have it installed.

Peak aesthetics were reached with stuff like 2001, Alien and Moon. The fantastical shit all looks like concept car auto show shit, fucking gay, boring and not utilitarian.

They were the best in Adventure 1 which is better than Adventure 2

There are no peak aesthetics, faggot. I like lots of different shit.

The best version of SA2 is none because SA2 is an awful game cherished by blind nostalgiafags and autists.

Fuck off

haha x was never good am i rite epic /V??

I honestly hate this level more than Mad Space. At first it seems easier given how it's more closed in and there's no gravity bullshit, but I think it actually has more Emerald spawn locations then Mad Space. A friend and I were playing this game a few weeks ago, the last Emerald shard was in this one dinky little meteroid all the way up on the most extreme of the map's top left, so far away from the rest of the stage no sane person would ever think to look there.

IGN pls go

Why do people like SA2? I really never got into it. The Chao Garden was cool I guess.

Play SA2 right now and tell me it's good. You'll discover you've been lying to yourself.

i just replayed it last month
its flawed but good, now go back to reddit

Nostalgia. It was babby's first Sonic for a lot of people, and it was probably fun if you were young. A lot of people haven't touched it in years and they hold those fond memories. In reality it's a mess of a game, but it is defended rabidly, like in this thread.

You're a dirty liar, and you can fuck off with strawman insults. Someone can not like your favorite game, faggot.

LIKE POTTERY. The Adventure games were mediocre at best and had a lot of bullshit segments that sucks you out of the game just when you're starting to enjoy it. You're also a masochist on top of being autistic for thinking these trite products are good for disregarding how plain and unnecessary the gem hunting levels are with a shit camera system to boot. I wonder how Sonic would've turned out if X-Treme was released but it probably wouldn't have him sign up for the JUSTice League after Sega pulled out of the console market, SA2's only point was that it was the end of an era and what a shitty way to end an era.

I disagree actually, having racked up way more time in SA2 than I should have, the treasure and shooting stages grew on me quite a bit once I realized that the stages are designed to be A ranked. You lose quite a bit of enjoyment from them if your not playing for score.

Knuckles/Rouge stages level design starts making a lot more sense from this perspective as the levels become about using the wide sense area that you have to cut corners and rotate around the level as quickly as possible. For instance, in aquatic mine every single emerald shard can be sensed from the central hub area, so after dropping the water level all the way down you do a quick go around the center to determine where the shard is and grab it as quickly as possible.

For shooting stages it's all about racking up big combos which substantially increases risk as taking a hit while locking on or in the middle of a combo kills it completely and is much more engaging than spazzing B over and over again.
I would say the biggest flaw in the stages design is that the game doesn't really have any intensives to encourage people to play this way. Adding something like giving knuckles a speed boost and maybe another level of sense after finding a shard quickly and giving tails a special attack for racking up big combos would have gone a long way towards helping this problem.

Meteor herd is actually my favorite knuckles level, the entire level is designed to be ascended and descended super quickly with the one emerald shard you just mentioned being the only one in the middle section that can't be sensed just by going strait down the middle. Once you know about it it's easy to adjust for but it's the only one in the stage that ever felt like a dick move to me.

Here have two paragraphs I guess.

Look at that, a solid defense without even bringing up the Chao garden, which is the best part of the game.

Fair points but the games are still rough around whatever edges they have and the points you brought up to help this replayability and engagement aren't there, you can maneuver around any subpar game's bumpy roads and make it fun for you.
I have never had to wait at least for a substantial amount of time to lock onto multiple targets.

I don't think anyone would argue about that. Even as a kid I encountered a couple of bugs that were a tad angering
Chao garden mother fucker

Anybody who claims that the Knuckles and Rouge stages are too hard are the biggest of casuals. Those are the easiest stages to get all A ranks on. The only one that is remotely difficult is Mad Space.

I was never a huge sonic fan but i remember enjoying SA2, guess i gotta replay it now and find out for myself whether it was any good or not.

The whole sci-fi space aesthetic thing died after the 90s, particularly around the new millennium and 9/11.

That was kind of the point of my post wasn't it? The only thing encouraging you to play this way in the game itself is the score/rank system which is why I had the revelation in the first place. A-ranking all of the stages forced me to understand exactly why the levels where designed as they are.

As for the lock on, locking on itself is quick, but when playing for score or A-ranks you often have to wait or walk to other enemies. On the hard remix for stages this is much more noticeable since everything is so much more aggressive and most of em have higher store requirements for A ranks forcing you to do it.

You would be surprised at just how badly programmed the game is, it's rather amusing that it's not more of a problem than it is. Vid related.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYkYIqWtp14&t=161s

I would just embed, but Holla Forums doesn't like the link for some reason.

The Chao garden helps replayability in the most amusing way possible. You grind for Chao, grinding for Chao leads to boredom, boredom leads to messing around in stages, messing around leads to trying to A rank stages for the hell of it which is what they where designed for in the first place. Having 5 different missions for each stage helps to, especially since each one requires you to approach the levels in a different way.

Adventure 2's gameplay is better in every way except for Knuckles' radar being gimped for some reason. That's not enough to cancel out the fact that the level design is way, way better.

It's a score attack game. The Story Mode is essentially practice, but the real meat of the game is doing the extra missions and trying to get A Ranks on all of them.

That's only one of the multiplayer-only levels in Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. Don't get mad about what is essentially a multiplayer only bonus minigame.

It's a very 90's kind of aesthetic. Grungy but still colourful. You can probably trace it back to comic books, and the limited colour palettes of 16-bit consoles.

That does bring up a point. I miss the less realistic interpretation of space. Only game that's done anything like this recently has been Outer Wilds.

WHY WON'T HE FUCKING DIE!?