Anybody here play Outer Colony?

Not too many people have heard of it, but if you enjoy DF or rimworld you'll probably enjoy it. It's a multi-z level colony simulator that attempts to get on the same level of simulation as Dwarf Fortress (obviously DF is many years ahead, but it models physics, people, and wounds/combat at a similar level). Notably, it also has multiplayer so if anyone wants to try making a colony together (or against each other) that's possible. I haven't had a chance to try that out yet because not that many people play (dev does like no marketing outside of posting on the bay12forums).

it's still in development but the current version is up as a demo voyagergames.com/

now that I've shilled for it, ill share some gripes that you might experience. performance can be shit, even with a good processor & lots of ram. dev hasn't implemented a full range of screen sizes, the UI needs a lot of work, and the graphics aren't the best.

its a pretty solid game if you have autism though. pics related, my shitty first colony, the eye color distribution of my colonists, the social network, and the datanet.

Other urls found in this thread:

voyagergames.com/distributing-a-desktop-java-application/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which is it? Because DF and Rimworld are polar opposites. I have yet to meet anyone who likes both; they always either hate them both, or love one and hate the either. I'm on the DF side and can't stand Rimworld.

the other*

I was totally on board with the concept and scope until I saw this in the sidebar.
voyagergames.com/distributing-a-desktop-java-application/
It’s twenty fucking eighteen. This shit is written in Java? Java died over a decade ago. There’s no way in hell it will run at a usable speed. Optimization as a concept doesn’t exist in that language.

I play Rimworld because DF’s creator is apparently too autistic to make a game designed for computers built since 1983. I would play DF otherwise and still really want to.

What does this even mean? I've tried playing Rimworld numerous times but every time I do, I keep thinking "Wow, that was a stupid design decision. This game would be exponentially better if they made this small change." until I realize I can just go play DF and have all of those changes.

What can you do in every piece of software written since then that you can’t do in DF.

How can you fuck it up that bad on a 2D game?

It's probably the same faggot that cries about no mouse support every DF thread.

I don't know, enlighten me.

Oh, I haven't really been in those threads in a while. Has no one told him that DF has had mouse support for a very long time? Or does he just purposefully ignore that information?

because its simulating a lot of things at once

its a lot more like DF than rimworld

Are you retarded? Graphics processing isn't the only resource intensive thing that can be in a game. It just happens to be the only impactful thing in most games because most games are very simple. If you have a shitload of game logic to process, then it is very understandable for it to be resource intensive. Other examples would be DF, SS13 (which actually is optimized HORRIBLY, but even ignoring that it would be pretty resource intensive), and Factorio. They all have a huge amount of shit going on while not being graphically intensive.

Not that I know how much this game has going on since I've never played it. I just hate it when people equate graphics to being the only thing that can utilize a lot of computing power.

Might try it then. I hope eye and hair color are actually inherited instead of being random so I can selectively breed my colony.

Actually, I enjoy both.
Don't get me wrong , its frustrating as fuck for there to be no z-levels and other gimped shit in Rimworld but the potential isn't completely ruined.

they are inherited, along with other factors like their stamina, strength, and longevity. so yes you can create an aryan super race. there are four factions and three of them have nuclear families (except for the space-commies), and the parents will also teach their children skills they know. make sure to check the game guide on the site, it goes into all of this in detail.

right now im going to start on a new colony because I didn't realize that making walls and floors were a lot cheaper than I thought, so I took way too long setting up a proper housing situation and all my food kept getting eaten by animals.

Stop playing coy and just say it you cockhungry homo.

the difference between DF and rimworld is at the utmost core of their respective design philosophies
while DF through cause and effect produces organic results to everything that happens, rimworld is quite literally artifical difficulty: the game
whats organic in DF is instead replaced with RNG that is INVERSELY related to your success, if you play like shit the game goes easy on you, if you play well the game throws unavoidable bullshit at you until you reach a stable mediocrity, and if you go randy it just replaces adaptive bullshit RNG through just straight bullshit RNG
lolplague is all you need to know about rimworld RNG

What a load of bullshit.

DF throws invasions at you once your fort has reached a certain pop cap and amount of riches, exactly like Rimworld does, balancing the time and strenght of raids based on adquired wealth and number of colonists.
In fact, there may be less RNG in Rimworld considering it takes all those factors into account and raids might even lower in strength while DF is just ramping up all the time.

You mean if you scumsave or if your base is such a fortress that you don't suffer any damage from the last raids so the game sends something bigger at you.
It's the game trying to create a chalenge that your colony can handle with some difficulty so it's not some baby tier "here's a single dood armed with a club against your power-armor minigun-wielding machines of death" and it's "artificial difficulty" indeed in the sense that the game custom-tailors the difficulty to how well you play on the fly. It's actually pretty fucking amazing.

Sounds a lot like you know next to nothing about it, probably gave up on your second or third colony.
The game has popcaps per difficulty level and story teller and it only throws shit at you like that if you go over said cap which is about 14 people actually. Plus, it's something you can easily mod with a XML file and there are already mods for that if you're that lazy or you can just play Randy where the hardcap is set at 50, giving you bonus to adquire people all the way to 12 even.

This is why I hate Rimworld. The game is designed around playing with an abusrdly low amount of colonists, forcing you to use people in multiple jobs. It just ends up making the game extremely slow and tedious. There's a lot of just sitting there and waiting for jobs to complete because you don't really have the manpower to just throw bodies at it until the problem goes away.

Stop being clinically retarded and think for five seconds.

Mhmm, we sure believe you. There’s no actual mouse support.

Rimworld’s colony limit is absurdly low because the game runs like utter shit if you have more than that (or if you just want to play for a few years, since longer play time = slower game, always) because the devs are incompetent.

I vaguely remember that a dev asked for advice and/or shilled his game prototype here some months ago. Any connection?

That's 2 dumb complaints in the same post.

Compared to DF, you don't really have a crap ton of different jobs and tasks to complete. There's no "cheese-making" or "treshing". Crafting alone is used for several stuff for instance.
If you're having trouble having enough people, you're just bad at assigning tasks. You can have everything done with just 5 colonists, 10 and you're looking at double the force for every task and some decent specialization, 15 and you get to have people taking breaks every now and then too.

Besides, like I said, you can edit a single XML file and not only say your hardcap is 500 colonists, but if you change the softcaps as well to 100 colonists, you get a ton of events and easier recruitment until you hit said cap.

Funny, because I think that every time I tried playing DF and had to go through three esoteric keyboard commands to maybe, possibly make a dwarf do something I want him to do.

I bet you're a "purist" who plays with the Matrix-glyph original graphics, and shuns Dwarf Therapist because you like taking twenty minutes navigating ten nested menus to assign a dwarf to brew more fucking plumphelmet wine.

I love DF but even I think it would be better with true mouse support.

You are autistic and should be ignored, according to Real Dwarf Fortress Players.™

Oh right, that reminds me. Any complaint about not having enough people to complete a specific job are ironic ^ 2 when comparing DF to Rimworld.

In DF, you're either praying that an order is chosen next by someone that doesn't need to eat, drink, sleep or throw a tantrum or you're going out of your way to disable every single job out of someone to make sure he can only do what you asked and then you have to reset it's job allocations.
Meanwhile in Rimworld, you can just Force the little shits to finish making that chair so they don't complain about lacking one when they eat.

What the fuck are you going on about? Also, are you going to say what DF is missing, or were you actually referring to mouse support, which the game has?

The problem is that it makes the game feel small as fuck, though. That's what I'm talking about when I say it's slow. The game progresses so fucking slowly that you can't make any cool grand constructions. Even a fucking farming field that seems moderate in size turns out to take a colonist more than a year to plant even half of.

Why didn't you just say so?

Okay, shill. Whatever you say.

congratulations on invalidating any point you were trying to make

I was talking about literally everything else BUT invasions

gotcha fam, you totally convinced me rimworld is not a pile of shit after playing it since 0.6 or so with every new release for at least a week each

I mean, I really want Rimworld to be(come) good. That’s why I still love the idea of DF; I wanted RW to be DF designed for machines built since 1983. It just isn’t, and now won’t ever be since they just took it from alpha to “beta” and said they’re not adding any more big features.

Reported. Does that level of trolling even work wherever you’re from? Go back there.

glad I never actually gave them any money, good to know not to do so in the future either

#woah

Oh yeah, forgot to respond to this bit:
And then break the game? You can't really just change something that major when the entirety of the rest of the game is built around a tiny population.

The point of the game is to take it slow. It's more focused on the raids and interpersonal stories than in megalythic constructions, you're playing it wrong.
This is why both games have a place in the market, because they are fundamentally 2 different experiences.

And IMO, DF gets stale and slow much faster as well past the initial 7 dwarves. Once you're at 20 or so, it takes ages for anything to get done or anything interesting to happen with a lot of downtime in the meantime where nothing very interesting happens unless you like reading logs.

Stop exagerating, you're just discrediting yourself. A decent 9*9 field can feed your initial 3 colonists for several months and it can be sow in a single day.
I usually make fields that are 15*15 for 9 plots in total and by the 3rd day, everything is already ready unless. And it only takes that long because my Growers are also my Cooks so they have something to do while plants are growing.

You did not post any rebutal whatsoever, nothing has been invalidated so far.

So nothing. Or migrants that Rimworld also has. Or caravans that Rimworld also has. Or nobles that Rimworld doesn't have.

If you actually had a point to make, you'd have written by now but since you actually wrote nothing concrete in that post, you're talking out of your ass.

Something something, needing an octa core to go past 100 dwarves or something.
Come on, you want to argue performance between Rimworld and Dwarven Fortress? That's like arguing which of two turds smells the worst, but at least RW tries to keep shit in control, DF just doesn't give a fuck if your CPU burns down.

opinion discarded mr fanboy man

Then it's fucking gay and boring.

What are you talking about? It's slow as fuck at the beginning and gets exponentially faster once you get your first migration wave.

I'm not.

And this is exactly my point.
This is a game for ants. Everything in it feels small as fuck.

The rest of your post is responding to someone else.

My i5 handles 200-300 dwarves pretty well. Besides, i wasn't talking about performance. Where did you get the idea I was talking about performance? The entire game's design and balance is based around having like 10 people; having 500 would break that pretty hard.

Lack of mouse support in DF (no one is falling for it, you fucking troll) is bad enough, but neither DF nor RW have multicore support, last I checked. I mean for fuck’s sake, how is that not fucking STANDARD these days? Clock speeds aren’t going to increase, ever, until we switch to exotic transistor materials. And there’s no incentive to do that because Intel and AMD aren’t competing and there aren’t any other companies. Fucking end of Moore’s law bullshit.

Provided your computer could even fucking run it. Rimworld lags for me with over 25 people, or if you have two bases at once (no matter the population). And adding more base animals does basically the same thing as people (a little less due to not having to model social interaction or all but two needs).

And this nigga is telling other people they are playing games wrong.

Fucking what? Being a somehat casualized version of the same game is not "polar opposites"

DFs performance is not tied to clockspeed tho, its tied to toadys ass backwards arcane way of coding, its mainly tied to RAM latency and cache size. Basically if you somehow managed to obtain a CPU with 2gigs of cache, which is still a good decade away at least, then you would be bottlenecked by clockspeed. Faster CPUs can run DF better because they have bigger and faster cache.

think of DF being x-com and rimworld being NUcom, theyre polar opposites in that way

Wait a fucking minute.
But
The fucking christ is this shit. I'm going to have to mod the game before I even play it.

Oh fuck, no.
And
Has the developer ever met another human being?

He met your mother :^)
Sorry, I had to.

Seems to be really decent and in-depth DF clone by judging tutorial to see how it works and is done, probably for those who like autism simulators. But holy shit the game lags even while paused, feels like I crashed the game even when its just unresponsive for a moment.

That's Java for you.

Did anyone here actually came into the thread wanting to talk about the game and not DF/Rimworld?

But no one is, they are all comparing DF and Rimworld together without even talking about the game.

You can't accurately render physics, biology, and some basic chemistry in every single patch of grass, body part, and water at Dwarf Fortress scale with anything more then ASCII - 16-bit tier graphics being rendered unless you have a very, very beefy machine. Even if your PC can run Crysis on max settings the very nature of how DF simulates things in the background makes it impossible for even a machine like that, if you don't like ASCII graphics you can always replace it with a tile set.

I bet some real posts about the topic were hidden along with the rest, but if they were, it's too much effort on my end just to get the thread manageable to the topic at hand
instead of reading through the thread, I'll just close it

disgusting. who woulda thunk that games which attract autists spergs would attract autistic spergs who can't avoid shitting up good threads

OP made the mistake of saying both DF and Rimworld players would enjoy it.

That's not polar opposition though

i hate java so fucking much

its either like the one or like the other

game runs completely fine on wine though, the devs probably were too lazy to compile a linux version

Are we both talking about the game that takes the level scaling concept from Oblivion and tries to apply it to every single mechanic in the game here?

Wait, you seriously meant mouse support? Most software written since 1983 doesn't support using a mouse. CLI, server software and OS internals make up the majority of software written since 1983.

Well then I'll just stay on dorf fort.

if you look on the forums there is kinda linux support. ill try to find the post

as far as performance, I noticed that in the settings if you set the memory at 16 gb it doesn't seem to recognize it (I have 32), so I set it at 8 and its running more smoothly now. not great but its better.

its a colony simulator like DF but also set in space like rimworld. i didn't think people would be this autistic about it

You are supremely retarded, a computer from the 80's couldn't even muster the memory required to generate the world in DF, and that's assuming you'd have a magical storage device that could then store all that data which also didn't exist. DF has primitive graphics but the game is very CPU intensive.

Even if that were true, at least I'm not too stupid for Rimworld, like you are.

are you so retarded you can't use your keyboard?