Games with top notch atmosphere

Our granary is empty sire

Fallout 4 has pretty good atmosphere of retro wasteland.

Shadow of The Colossus, with it's vast deserts, forests, ancient ruins, all empty and desolate, populated only by giant beasts.

Endless Legend will always be a game I enjoyed both visually, and the sounds it has.

Nope

And they're remastering it, when its only 13 years old. Christ I hate this industry, they're remaking Dark Souls as well. I could understand them remastering and porting Demons' Souls to the PC and shit, but Dark Souls? When its community is still strong in the original? What the fuck is the point other than to resell them every console gen, don't people get sick of re-buying the same game?

Music from Endless

FO4's atmosphere is garbage, except when there's the radioactive storm going on. Fallout 3 has the best audiovisual atmosphere among all Fallout games, even if the writing isn't that good.

You spelled NV wrong

You think that's bad? The Last of Us got a PS4 "Remaster" in July 2014. The PS3 original came out in June 2013. In other words, they started working on a remastered version before the original was even a year old. I've got no interest in those games, or modern Naughty Dog in general, but that seems like the sort of thing that screams "we could have done better from the start, but released what was ultimately a soon-to-be-subpar version; buy our new and improved one too" if you ask me.

That's not very old. That's basically prime between "people care about it" and "it's not worth working with hardware specific shit". I sure as fuck didn't expect ZOE 2 remake coming out now, since modern stuff can barely handle the particle effects it uses.

Endless Legend's OST will always make me hard.

I never got this "old west in futuristic setting" thingy. It was obviously the worst part of Fallout 2, and in NV it's just infuriating that the whole game's theme is centered around it. It's not even like the highly atmospheric and moody spaghetti western style, just the lame ass dull 50's hollywood westerns.

spess colony had a great atmosphere and extremely likable characters

Hey you fellow anons should also try out Skyrim 2 coming out Spring of 2020

Yeah I remember that shit, and I remember thinking why people still bought it and still gave it praise. The mob mentality gets stronger every decade it seems, since people want a click to be with and they want to waste money on the same thing over, and over again.

Its the digital era, you can literally just put the old one on the online marketplace. Are they even porting soc to other consoles and the PC? If not then why the fuck not? Do they hate money?

Thanks fellow anonymous, i will be sure to pirate it as soon as it comes out

W-woah there user, dont you think you should buy it and try it out that way? After all, if you like it then you have the satisfaction of supporting the developers!

stalker soc/cop, banished, gta 4, alan wake, deus ex, tes: oblivion, fallout new vegas, half-life, hotline miami, mafia 1, mass effect, the witcher 2

Thing to bear in mind is that these "remasters" are pretty much a graphics-upscale centric cashgrab (not "remakes", as some tend to equate them to), or to make more money via a system that isn't compatible with discs from said game's original systems. To be fair, sometimes this can work out well, making a previously hard to find game more available (as Yakuza 1 and 2 HD would have done so had they been released here; Yakuza 2 having been rather hard to find in the west in the past, before the reprint last year or so), or finally giving other region content that had remained exclusive to another region in its prior state, but generally it's the popular, easy to find games that get given the treatment, and actual technical quality of said HD versions has been all over the fucking place.

I can only really speak of how they were handled on the PS3 though; I don't have a PS4 myself so I'm not sure if those tend to be more often on the "improvement" side or not, other than the .hack//G.U. one having tweaked the combat itself and adding an apparent fourth volume (while apparently cutting some content and the combat tweaks apparently casualizing the games).

Can you? That's why I brought up ZOE, a game that really can't just be straight ported. People say "Oh wow now I can play in the swamp without lag". But did they actually fix that problem? There can be all sorts of reasons why a game might not work on older consoles.

I highly doubt you'll see Demon's Souls, or Bloodborne for that matter, ported to any other console/pc, unless its a Sony console.

I'm actually interested in the Dark Souls Remake, only because I'll finally get to play the DLC levels. I refuse to buy digital stuff.

Annoys me that apparently PAL saw a complete version of Bloodborne with the DLC included on the disc, but SCEA told potential NA customers to go fuck themselves, leaving said content digital only here, be it buying it standalone for use with disc, or the digital complete version. I guess importing the PAL version is an option at least, though I'm not sure how that might affect multiplayer or possible patching needed (assuming it wasn't released as a "100% up to date, no further patches" thing).

GTA IV amazed me. They turned something from a contemporary setting into something that feels like a dystopian futurism, or even post apocalyptic. I love how dreary and wretched everything looks, it's an improvement upon GTA 3's vision.

The rest of those games, not so much. Oblivion mimicked Excalibur from 1981 and 1st LoTR movie, I'm okay with mimicking but it didn't captivate the feeling to the fullest. Hotline Miami is some of the most overstylized trash with too much cringy soyboy faux 80s. Mafia 1 did it better than other 30's game, but that's not saying much, outside the cutscenes it captured the 30's atmosphere really well though. STALKER's atmosphere is infinitely inferior to the book and the movie, they really dumbed down the intricate plot and characters' psychology into some generic scifi trash.

That is why it is imperative to subvert all marketing and make normalfags hate and loathe the big companies in the industry.

You should refuse to BUY any game at all. Entertainment must always be free.
Donate to small groups making games, if you want to pay. But mostly, don't pay for games. And NEVER give money to big companies.

Atmosphere and plot are not the same thing. STALKER is one of the most atmospheric games ever made, regardless of what you think about the plot, which was not even attempting to duplicate the book or the movie, and is far from being generic.

And people argue this board hasn't gone to shit.

Most of the mood in Roadside Picnic and Tarkovsky's Stalker have much to owe to the metaphysics of the Zone, and the characters' background adds a deeper meaning into the atmosphere. And there's nothing wrong with not having the same plot, Tarkovsky's Stalker is almost entirely different from Roadside Picnic.

By reducing the metaphysics of the Zone into simple and straightforward science fiction with a few twists, and giving the characters zero background, GSC has turned STALKER into a generic science fiction. STALKER has no spirituality, no true mystery of the Zone, and the characters have 2 dimensional motivations. The Zone is just there as a catastrophic result of scientific practice and the characters' motivations are just either making money, uncovering the mystery of the Zone, or somewhere between the two. It's nothing but a generic science fiction. The book and film are much more than that, they involve and emphasize on raison d'etre and discovery of the self rather than finding the scientific explanation behind the Zone.

STALKER's atmosphere comes from the setting, the graphics and the sound.

I don't think you have actually played STALKER. In fact I don't think you play video games in general.

i wonder whos behind this

Constantly overcast and gloomy sky, empty grey buildings that look like current year Norilsk, animals howling in the background, some anomalies glowing, annoying post rock soundtrack or whatever kids call it playing alongside the background noise, big deal. Without the metaphysics, it's just meaningless. I actually prefer the silent Zone in the film, the game's Zone would fit more in Fallout and Half Life than actual Stalker adaptation.

Please get the fuck out of here. This is a video game board.

This is an atmosphere thread.

In VIDEO GAMES.

I've seen pretensious hipsters in my life but this overcomes everything.
Metro had the problem of being generic as shit and not being as atmospheric as it could by actually removing narrative plotpoints that made the Metro system dark and gritty like Bourbon wanting to backstab you and Khan being extremely quiet half the time he and Artyom were together.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R did its own thing and managed to succeed .
Except that's wrong and the Noosphere is actually something spiritual that still exists despite the events in SoC, you obviously haven't played the games you goddamned retard.
And you still have yet to explain what these metaphysics are.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R doesn't have the same atmosphere as the novel or the movie despite being heavily based on them for art design and worldbuilding nor does it try to to.

Eat shit you pretensious cocksucker

CAN'T PLACE THAT THERE

M
I
L
O
R
D

Oh yeah and let's not forget
Except when they aren't and despite the sanbox nature of the game letting players write their own characters without a need for narrative buklshit handholding.

Stalker is only very loosely based on the book (and movie), and only to the extent that they share the same idea of the Zone. In fact, it's almost more accurate to think of "Zone" as a mini-genre.

So you'd rather have a literal walking simulator. Might I suggest buying a gun and some milsurp and going outside? It's fairly silent and dull unless you shoot something, there are lots of atmospheric abandoned areas to camp in (most of them without radiation or anomalies), and you can ponder metaphysics all you like. /k/ even did a challenge sheet if you're into that sort of thing.

Warframe,
The aesthetics and style of characters and stuff are definitely an aquired taste, but when you start looking at the backgrounds of certain maps, the game actually has a really awesome atmosphere, especially when compared to other "space" games.

What tile set is the first one?

thats actually the famed "draco". (not new draco). i NEVER noticed it because i was always too busy playing, but once it became an easier map, i was looking around and noticed its actually one of the prettiest maps in the game.

STALKER, The Elder Scrolls III-V, Fallout 1-NV (1-2 especially), XCOM, Euro Truck Simulator, Metal Gear Solid.
These are the atmospheres that catch me most.

pictures cant explain this.

There man in garbageman

There's nothing pretentious about this. In fact, the STALKER writers were pretentious for trying to overcomplicate everything with their idea of what a plot should be.

I know that the noosphere is. Some kind of manifestation of emotions or some shit that got leaked by the consciousness project or somewhere along those lines and changed how physics laws work around the Zone, somewhat a tiny bit like Strugratsky's Definitely Maybe.

It's still nothing like the movie's and the book's Zone. Mostly on the film although it only punctuated the point of the book, it's free from such complicated interpretation, it's just a part of nature that exists and doesn't need to be interfered with, and the spiritual journey is merely a discovery of the self free of outside influence. Whether the Zone is spiritual or not, or even whether the Zone exists at all in the movie, is not the point. The story works as an analogy for humanity's constant striving for truth outwardly instead of inwardly as they are supposed to be.

Except the film and even the book are a lot more episodic in nature and less plot stricken than the game. Don't talk like STALKER isn't full of linear narrative, especially with that kind of main quest.

isnt stalker just a battlefield mod based on the metro games?

Are there mods for cars yet? Also, are there mods for blizzards? I want to drive through a blizzard. That’s all I want out of life anymore.

i love driving in the snow (irl), but you know what satisfied my lust? mudrunners. its "mud" engine feels alot like snow, and its pretty bad ass.

It's missing a crucial element.

The Warriors on the original Xbox.
It captures the look and feel of late 70's New York perfectly, and is still one of the best examples of what a movie tie-in should be like.
The story, music, and general atmosphere were all top tier, and complimented each other perfectly.

And the funny part is that removing the disgusting green filter from Fallout 3 makes it's atmosphere better

By making a fucking amnesiac story?
Eat shit
It's not trying to be retard
Except it plays differently everytime thanks to A Life and a shitton of variables that cahnge with your input.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R has a shitton of wrong like a heavy part ballistics model, a sluggish start and too much backtracking at the end, but you're a pretentious fucking retard that couldn't get into the mood of something even if you were in the rooftops of the walled city of Kowloon

This is where I get off you autist

i knew there were retarded people on here but dude you take the cake

Aliens versus Predator 1 & 2.

Half-Life and its expansion packs (OpFor & Blue Shift).

Alien: Isolation.

Thief 1 & 2.

Other than some stupid moments like the Samurai duel, what was wrong Predators?
I got bored of the most recent Aliens vs Predator game. My fault for playing humans, I guess? But they threw me into an environment where I could run around in a circle to get away from aliens and shoot them, then in a room with a squad to shoot aliens. Stopped playing there (wasn't my game to begin with). Tried the alien campaign and got immediately bored how you supposedly pulled the old 'hide in the ceiling' trick.
Aliens vs Predator 2 did it better in both cases, immediately isolating you from your teammates and forcing you through dark, narrow corridors where you could legitimately be ambushed.
The alien campaign in AVP 2 is awesome.

Only the two Jews survive in the end.

James, honey… Did something happen to you? After we got separated in that long hallway?
Are you confusing me with someone else?

This, also best aesthetic in all SH games.
Downpour had a nice atmosphere as well.

Well done, i was about to post this.

Great choice. I was always struck by the musical choice in SH2. Who knew that grunge rock would suit a game of this atmosphere so well?

I've sen that first image many times now and I know it isn't yours, but that's a shite setup. He could at least put a few logs underneath the TV so his neck won't have to be arched looking at the TV - of course, that is implying he doesn't just sit criss-cross on the floor.

Whenever I see the Old King, I wonder why he didn't tag team Allant with Biorr to stop the entire invasion immediately. The guy is a literal demi-god and Biorr might as well be one too. Apparently he was locked away in that shitty mausoleum by Allant but there is no show of a token struggle or anything like that.

That reminds me. Does anyone have a CD rip of the SH2 OST?

That reminds me that FF7 does actually have a pretty good atmosphere as well.

i can hear the menu music already, stronghold really is one of the most atmospheric games in existence

You forgot to add monkey noises.
Also, context?

nice bait an-

I still wish they had added a horde mode to play with, where you build your castle, get attacked by increasingly powerful waves of enemies and see how long you can last.

Likely around Calais, niggers trying to stop trucks so they can sneak on them to go through the underwater tunnel.

Good fucking taste.
Lisa: The Pointless has a great atmosphere.
Everything feels so oppressive, dirty, harsh, and generally depressing.

I don't want a walking simulator or faithful adaptation of the book and movie. I just want a game where the Zone's mystery is truly a mystery and the characters discover an intention beyond getting money and playing hero.

Pretentious writing always ends up as being stupid. The black Monolith in 2001 for example, Monolith is actually the theater screen itself, can't get sillier than that.

Neither did Stalker, but it kept the spirit of the book.

It's always the same, except for a few very minor NPC's who might die or not die, and where your assassination target's position is, that's all about it.

It really doesn't matter to that extent. Also the fuck does this have to do with atmosphere in a game?
I think you're looking at this wrong. It's different in a lot of other ways such as builds and enemy placement. You also aren't forced to go the same route to specific objectives and the game essentially allows you to move at whatever pace you want.

If we all fucking refused to buy any games, normalfags would decide the entire industry. Fuck off.

Quake.

Are there any sex mods yet or is NV still the king there? Can the kids get involved?

Ilos was arguably the coolest planet visited in the first Mass Effect.

I got pretty bored of this game quickly.

I think the last Colossus I fought was a giant horse sort of thing. The one I remember the most was the first one, the watersnake thing, warthog and the sand one.

It's been a while since I played it (the remastered version on PS3) but I remember being pretty underwhelmed by the game itself.

Hi reddit.

fuck off goon