What company should make a new Castlevania 2D platformer and why is it Vanillaware?

What company should make a new Castlevania 2D platformer and why is it Vanillaware?

Seriously, they should make a fast paced 2D platformer with their amazing art…just imagine it

Other urls found in this thread:

castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania:_Harmony_of_Despair
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Alternatively, maybe it's time for a 3D Castlevania that isn't totally shit.

Legacy of Darkness wasn't shit, m8.

But user, it already exist.

Bring Treasure back to make another Castlevania. IIRC CV4 on SNES was the last game the loosely-defined team at Konami made before they left because Konami are Kona-kikes.
Are Treasure even around anymore? Their GBA games were top notch but since Advance Guardian Heroes, Gunstar Super Heroes and Astro Boy Omega Factor I haven't heard a peep.

My melanin enriched cotton pickin' property. Cornell is probably my favourite male CV character.

I have some hopes for Migami. Lecarde Chronicles 2 wasn't half bad and appearently their next game is more of a standard classicvania than metroidvania.

did anybody actually use the whip though?

It's not Vanillaware because they have no clue how arcade action design works. If you want a developer who understands old 2D action at a very intimate level and would be great for developing a Castlevania game it's M2. Oh wait, they've already done one in fact.

I've always wanted to try it. Where can I get the .iso or whatever?

Well I've just started Bloodborne and I picked the threaded cane, does that count?

Vanillaware should be artists for hire, and work for developers who do gameplay better than they do.

Looks like "Wehackwii" has an upload of it in their NTSC-U WiiWare page. Assuming they keep their uploads maintained that is; page seems to have been last edited five years back.

As much as I like Vanillaware's style I just don't think it fits well with a Castlevania game. I'm not sure who I would pick.

You know, shortly after God of War 1 was released, I remember watching a gameplay video of it with some guy narrating over it. I think it was on g4tv or something. I can't really remember. It was so long ago. Anyways, the guy's commentary mentioned that GoW's gameplay was how a quote "3d Castlevania should play like" unquote.

The funny thing is that I can't find that video anywhere anymore, but I still remember that quote for some reason. Years later, when that GoW-like Lords of Shadow game came out, I strangely felt a sense of deja vu when I remembered that this guy's idea actually came true.

i would say wayfoward since they put love and effort in their 2D animations but Vanillaware alsi is a good choice

Vanillaware can't into gameplay though.
They should make anime with their graphics instead.

The whips are low-tier but in singleplayer you can make do with most of the weapons if you're a decent player. Also in terms of world design, enemies, and upgrade system, DaS1 is the model for 3D Metroidvania.

It's not good either though, just because people overstate the badness of it. I also personally dislike Cornell and that you have to unlock Carrie in that version. The requirement is relaxed in the Japanese version by opening up Henry's story from the beginning.

Dark Souls made damn good use of vertical space. I can imagine if they had the capabilities they would have let you just jump from one area to another with no limit.

It is not about which brand name creates it. It is about the individuals that make it. The best team to create a new Castlevania is the team that created past Castlevanias.
Instead of buying the IP or making a contract to create a new iteration, the companies involved should just hire all the former talents available that worked on the franchise to make a new Castlevania. They are the ones that understand the games best.
At the very least, hire people that studied under them.

Lament of Innocence. Good game. Good controls. Good music.

They should do Metroid-style games instead.

I'd rather Vanillaware keep making new IP's and staying motivated instead of creating a stream of stagnating garbage known as a franchise.

You all niggers are missing out on a rising new jap dev that can and will revive 2D platformer action and metroid-like exploration.

We want CASATLEVANIA like, not Metroid like. Action first, exploration as an extra.

I wanna seek out and marry princess ahmanet

Classicvania fags are the biggest cry babies.

vanillaware would do it well
trust me

I can't be the only person here who liked Curse of Darkness, right?

Honestly all anyone wants is a sprite or hand drawn SotN like game it's all anyone here on Holla Forums or elsewhere fucking wants.

You're not. I've been playing it recently and it's 9/10. Only problem is map design, since it's corridor galore and most of them are empty, but it has so many cool mechanics, it's amazing and you can't get tired of it.

Igarashi said he went with 2.5D for Bloodstained because it was hard to find sprite people and hand drawing takes too much time. I rather sprite than hand drawing, hand drawing it's overrated.

SOTN is the best Castlevania and it IS action first and exploration later. You can rush the whole game or explore. The most fun is fighting with all the special moves that Alcard can have at the beggining. The ones acquired by exploration are a complement. The "Metroid" part must always be optional.

That is the main mistake. "Because it was hard to (insert situation here)" is what starts every bad decision later. The fans of the franchise WANT 2D sprites. He should do it, regardless of what is hard. By trying to circumvent it, he only pisses of the majority of the people interested. We want it = give it to us or you will fail. That "rule" works almost all the time.

The misconception with metroidvania is to think you can do exploration or action separately when they both go hand in hand. Metroidvania would be nothing without monsters and boss fights. Granted, it could be better, but that's not the point. Even metroid is pretty much lean to action, with all the boss battles, even when there's better platforming, and I'd say more underwhelming exploration. Metroidvania should be about both, otherwise it'd be a shit walking simulator in 2D or a bear-em-up. Also, another focus nobody bothers to mention is collectibles, like fucking different weapons, items, have a lot of variety, hell, practicality should comes second.
I'm not really justifying it, that's just what he said, and it's kinda true. 2D is not famous outside of doujin game, even here most 2D games are indie shit. That being said, maybe the game doesn't do justice to SOTN visually, but the gameplay is there, and it have been in every demo so far.
Stop saying that, faggot. I don't exactly disagree with you, it's the main difference from Bloodstained and Blunder No. 9. Even if the game looks different, as long as it plays the same, or as what people wanted, then it should be alright.

Arcade-style Castlevania is far superior to Metroidvania. Sucks 69iq plebians like you are too shit at action games to accept this fact. Perhaps you should stick to watching faggy anime instead of playing videogames.

Nothing wrong with WE.
Also, Castlevania is good because of the whole set, and not jst the gameplay. If it plays good, but it is butt ugly to look at, it is detrimental. Won't stop most from buying it, but surely will not sustain the franchise or any game inspired by it. The same applies to the music. If they can't hire (or replicate the work of) Yamane, half of the fun is gone.

I like both and I don't complain like a faggot. However, Metroidvania revolutionized the franchise and there's nothing you can do about it.

You're advocating for other people when you say your opinion. You don't do that on imageboards where everyone is anonymous. Maybe there are unofficial consensus, but don't go around saying we, because it's just you, faggot.
I actually disagree with you. At the beginning I was actually disappointed by it, but the last trailer had music really similar to SOTN, perhaps way too similar to the point of almost being a carbon copy. Other than that, I agree with you, but wasn't Yamane working on the game? Also, as lackluster as it might see, it certainly won't stop me, considering that I've lost count of how many times I've finished previous Castlevanias.

Who made that meme? That is so fucking bad and the creator has no idea how the meme works. Cringy as fuck

I doubt they could keep it fresh for very long if they did to many scenes that where basically platforming sessions, but I do want to see more Indiana Jones hijinx.

I liked how they give trevor cool whip tricks without going full god of war.

Looks like all their mediafire links have been removed actually.

Curse of Darkness is so fucking good, everything about it. The art, the combat, the weapon progression, it really was the natural progression from the SotN era to the 3D era, it took everything successful about SotN, implemented it in 3D, then improved upon it massively. The only area it faltered was map design and there it failed so badly that it was enough to turn many people away from the game entirely. But if you write off the map design, and you compare how how much love, care, design, and hard work went into curse of darkness, and how that made such a good game in terms of combat, art, music, story, platforming, and world (there was a shit load of off the beaten path stuff like the fight tower, secret bosses, secret weapons, a handful of secret IDs like the pumpkin dude and Isaac's sick ass demon thing) to how mediocre PoR, DoS, AoS, and OoE are it annoys me how people hold up OoE as the last good castlevania and talk about CoD and LoI as if it was some kind of retarded younger cousin of castlevania, the DS castldevanias were such a fucking phone-in.

Okay. I'm not sure how competent Vanillaware would be at game designing Castlevania. I prefer classicvania myself though I love exploration. My question is will Vanillaware make cute Castlevania monster girls?

It is successful in that it spreads all over without being forced, and is worth a grin sometimes.

Not him, I think it misses the point a bit, "has a continue screen". Is kind of backwards and also doesn't even mean anything, it'd be more like

Nothing wrong with WE. My opinion is shared by others.
As for the music, i was referring to a new Castlevania if it would be made, and not Bloodstained. On it's music resembling too much SOTN: copies and imitations of good works are preferable than innovative but low quality works. Resembling SOTN was the best thing in this case because of the lack of a proper Castlevania for a long time. The more throwbacks to the best known games, the better, as the fans already have adopted the "spiritual sequel to Castlevania" opinion about Bloodstained.

I'd rather vanillaware make their own original sidescroll IP than tie it to Castlevania
Maybe ancient indian mommy monsters in the old west

*mummy, fuc

So, user, what's your favorite castlevania?

I think all the strife in the Castlevania community comes from the fact that the games were published in a long unbroken chain AND they switched horses in the middle of the stream. You don't see this problem with Ninja Gaiden fans which had a big hiatus between the old games and the new ones. People tend to be either fans of one or the other but there isn't any real hostility between the two groups.

fucking why

No just the wording you used sounds so cuckish

Hmm. Well, Nicoblog does have a JP upload, and being that it's a classic-style Castlevania, I don't imagine that would matter much on "ability to understand the game" end of things. Can be an annoyance to actually reach the download proper at times though, between link shortner redirects and larger games tending to have their files split into multiple megas or whatnot.

Well, assuming bringing Ayami Kojima back to not be possible, the guy that did the official art for Koumajou Densetsu seems good at aping her oil-on-canvas style (most likely the intent, given those games being "Touhouvania"). Though, if you'e talking about the actual character/monster/environment spriting and animation as "art", I'd guess that's another question entirely. Concept art is one thing, but transferring it (well) to an actual game's engine is another.

There's a known bug for PC players where the uncapped framerate results in weapon degradation proccing twice as often.

That bug has been patched though.

Are you sure thats a correction user?
Id take more cute mummies like ahmanet.

When done right it's fucking good and he should of given the fans 2D since it's what we wanted.

The Kojima 3d games ended up doing that if I remember correctly.

So Holla Forums what would be your ideal 2D SotN like game?

It already exists.

I just want another Rondo of Blood.

Get rid of the RPG level-up shit entirely and make character progression solely based on equipment.

traps are gay

Now that would be interesting.

The original is a great game.
This remake is a piece of shit with atrocious "art", made by a pink haired french cuck and his soyboys.

Wasn't there also a spiritual successor to Wonder Boy that was suppose to come out?

Not THAT kind of trap, silly.

The character designs are questionable, but the backgrounds are gorgeous, and the new music is lovely. Besides, you can always pirate it if you don't want to support nu-males.

Monster Boy? It comes out sometime this year.

castlevania.wikia.com/wiki/Castlevania:_Harmony_of_Despair

It worked…OK.

It's never fun being dependent on grinding for decent items. There's also PoR/OoE when playing on level 1 hard mode, but it's suffering to beat under those conditions, especially OoE. In SotN you can force your level to 99 with hacks which works surprisingly well until you get to the final boss, and as long as you aren't using the overly broken rubbish like the Alucard Shield.

That's just a shitty mashup. Here's what it looks like in a proper game. Of course you can add unique enemy drops if you want. But there should be gear strewn around places, as it usually is in the Metroid-style games.

I require big titty vampstresses.

I should probably actually play that game sometime since I have it installed.

It's pretty alright, especially for a seemingly budget title. Has decent difficulty ramp up and stuff, about all I found odd was navigating to particular areas at times.

What game?

The Vagrant. I forget the name half the time myself.

Thank you user!

Oh fug, I didn't mean to have that flag on.
Please ignore that.

Was wondering the same thing, cheers.

Forgiven for best Neptunia.

Piracy, yes. But giving praise or getting used to games made by numales will enable then to keep working in the industry. They need to be purged.

That would be perfect. But single player only. And no random drops. Items got from Bosses or from exploration only.

One of my favorite is Castlevania: Circle of the Moon. Would love to see a proper remake of Castlvania 2 similar to AM2R where they bring the game up to "modern" Metroidvania standards.

literally an edit of a post exodus Cuckchan meme that some fag from TRS created for his facebook page. Its shilled her ether by TRSodomites or by Cuckchan refugees or by faggots trying to pretend to be cuckchan refugees. Just ignore and report the forced facebook meme.

user, stop trying to hard to "fit in". The remake is literally just the original game with a reskin and the art is excellent. The only issue with it is the price tag because its so easy to play the original for free.

Nintendo licensed 3'rd Person DkS style (in terms of Map design) Metriod when?

Atrocious low effort art. The original has everything done right, it is free, by acquiring it and playing it, and you won't give money to pink haired french cucks nor will you incentive more atrocious remade graphics of good games.

No it didn't. There still was a leveling system but for the life of me I never could figure it out even when I spent a good 100+ hours on it.

My problem was that items came from chests instead of regular enemies or even bosses as drop. Sure, there was the boss chest that came out depending on performance, and the super rare chest that usually needed 3 or more people in order to open it. I really didn't like the arcade aspect of it either, would have rather a normal metroidvania with 2 players co-op like what PoR could have been.

Then what would be the point of collecting items?

but user its not atrocious art, that is just a ridiculous level of trying too hard to be a curmudgeon in hopes to fit in. Its actually beautifully animation. But art aside, I am not suggesting someone spend money on it on account of it being the same exact game with just an aesthetic and sound improvement.

Quick making shit up, the original spread because the virgin walk is 100% correct and the Chad looks so ridiculous you could easily edit it to anything you want giving it a lot of meme potential.

Nope. Shit was pretty damn comfy and kickin' with the environments. Suffered with the empty aspects, but bossfights made up for it. Familiar & crafting system were also pretty damn fun.

Go back to kekistan subreddit or something.

It shouldnt be 2D

The environments were the worst part of the game. Long tunnels with none of the detail or charm that the 2D games had. Just compare the gorgeous or comfy environments of SOTN to the barren hallways of nothing in CoD.

Describes Symphony of the Night just as easily.

But you're right, most areas of the game feel sterile, with no details whatsoever.

SOTN hallways were always pretty to look like. The background was either varied or had little details worth looking at. Take the Marble Gallery long ass corridor, there were the actual marble statues and there was an eye looking at you from the background.

or just you know, make a good game instead

Unless they make it a soulslike game then forget it.

Castlevania 3 is best Classic Vania Circle of the Moon is best Metriodvania~~!!!
reported

^is a facebook variant*

No thanks.

Good
Kill yourself.

I was thinking more like Bloodborne but with more than two "whips".
Maybe a 3D Haunted Castle would be good with the whip → morning star → sword progression could be fun.
Lorefags ruined a perfectly good game series.

I believe that fangame The Lecarde Chronicles 2 does that. It looks pretty good, gotta try it myself one of these days.

play attention

I am sorta optimistic about Lecarde Chronicles 2 when its finished but the pixel art and animation needs some improvement as it currently stands.

My PC is a bit iffy right now but I figured it might actually be out of EA by the time I get it fixed. Still got my fingers crossed for some Vanillaware games to get ported to PC.

What did they do? I've heard similar things about the System Shock and Rez remakes.

that should tell you a lot about it

The only way I feel like Castlevania can prosper at this point is through retro throwbacks and homebrewing. I would be great to see a bigger company getting involved in a homebrew Dreamcast title.

If that's your criteria for not liking a game then you might as well just stop playing games all together.

That's what I want to see too.

Is there an unwritten rule that clock tower levels in metroidvanias should have the best music in the game?
Hell even that one mummy game has the best track in the clocktower.

I don't know why, but it's true

the new art is fantastic unless you're some pretentious hipster.

Yes, it screams tumblr, but that doesn't mean it's bad, it looks aesthetically good. I might pirate it later.

You get them by exploring or defeating bosses. Not random drops to farm from enemies. Definitive drops from especific bosses or enemies without the random aspect.

The animation maybe be whatever. The art is still atrocious.

Not the best, but surely one of the top 3.

No pretentions or hipsters here. You are a soyboy cuck that like atrocious art made by and for fag abominations.
The original art was great. Manga inspired take on european fantasy.
The new one is a post modern mess, even though it was done by an european, who should know best abour creating beauty, but is a fag and thus, can only create ugliness.
also, the girl thing. Put there for no reason than virtue signaling.
Pirate the original, avoid this AIDS of a remake.

Still sounds shitty to me. I'm not defending the grinding it may take to get an specific weapon as a random drop, but in each playthrough you get the possibility of getting different gear, stronger or weaker, from enemies, with some cool secrets you could get. Everything being handed to you by defeating enemies as definitive drops sounds really boring even if there are hidden bosses with powerful weapons. The point is the variety of weapons.

I wish this game had better bosses.

I dunno. Their games look and sound fantastic, but they cannot do level design.