Decline of talent in the industry

How did things become so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YLoJ5jcccPU
youtube.com/watch?v=c0o6BPYKBiA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's because you masturbate to 3dpd. Just don't do it

Despite the obvious answer of the (((jews))) shilling their shitty social propaganda and keeping things afloat, there's a few reasons why costs keep skyrocketing.

There's a few Bioware games that were fully 30% funded by the Canadian government, aka taxpayers. Then they have the nerve to jack up the price and charge you again, and have you pay tax on the game when you buy it. You're fucking triple jewed for one product.

Then there's the rapid pace of production and meeting soulless goals and deadlines, so it's no longer a work of passion. Then you have a dozen pajeets writing code and using Unity, a QA analyst, and an engineering manager to oversee everyone else.

/kemono/ is responsible

Quantity over quality.

But i really don't

Game companies started hiring women.

Funny, games seem to be coming out slower now.

More like QA anal enthusiast, nobody does any bugtesting, playtesters are borderline clinically retarded.

good point

If you're working on a huge and complex project like a video game and you have 200 people constantly making changes to the code, you're bound to run into issues.
There's also a different mentality when it comes to bugs. Management has no trouble cutting costs for Q&A and bugfixing if the game will still sell. If there's something gamebreaking they can just patch it later anyways.

Same shit that happened to cartoons: They stopped teaching the things that students need to know and focused on stuff like feelings, style, intended message, and so on. In many art and animation schools, they dropped life drawing as a required course for many majors.. so it's no surprise we've got the so-called CalArts grinning potato and noodle-arms style of art overwhelming the cartoon industry.

I imagine something similar has happened in many programming majors, as they've had to drop requirements to get more women to graduate. Likewise, schools like Digipen hire faggots like James Portnow (the extra credits faggot) who don't actually have any experience in game design or creation, but they get teaching jobs anyways where they try to do some dead poets society-type shit. You can find a video of James telling his class to go to some art gallery and touch a wall as one of their final assignments or some shit, because this pretentious cockstain thinks programming and game design are about feelings.

This is also why we've seen such a surge in indie cancer. There's so many faggots who get into vidya design degrees, but have zero creativity or interest in the medium as it actually is.. So what do they make? Twine stories. Half-assed visual novels. Shit that barely classifies as a powerpoint slideshow. Walking simulators. Navel-gazing melodrama about being a transqueer panafrican fagmosexual with skulliosis disguised as some kind of personal artistic expression with deep meaning.

tl;dr - They aren't teaching programming correctly anymore and it's created a generation of shit devs.

(YOU)

Wasted.

t.assblasted OP

It's like the atari crash 2.0

That isn't the fault of the developers. Modern technology itself has been built on hardware that's the most profitable, not the most efficient. If we did that, we would be using SGI/SPARC workstations that are faster and more reliable than any high quality gaming rig Intel/AMD has put out.

Looking forward to 2018! :)

We seem to have this conversation a couple of times per year. To boil it all down, watch just a few minutes of the first video, then watch the second video. Everything will become crystal clear.

youtube.com/watch?v=YLoJ5jcccPU

youtube.com/watch?v=c0o6BPYKBiA

Actually good programmers have no interest in most people. However, actually good programmers have a particular disdain and disgust for lies and blatant falsehoods. Probably because actually good programmers rely on their impeccable logic on a daily basis.

Trannies are walking abominations; literally lies embodied in flesh. Real women are liars. Faggots are liars. Social justice warriors exist solely to defend the liars.

When your main skill's industry becomes infested with something your brain will simply never accept nor understand (because it's illogical) you just leave.

Things became bad because all the good programmers simple left the video games industry.

It's also because companies like to hire Pajeets, women and niggers to the detriment of white and East Asian men. When you hire subhumans you get a subpar product.

Too many cooks working on the same meal

I honestly don't think they like to do that. They just didn't look forward far enough to see what embracing degeneracy would cost them: all the talent.

They don't like hiring streetshitters, cunts, and niggers; they no longer have any choice but to do so because of their own past actions.

Nope. That Google employee that got fired recently for dropping a few redpills is suing Google for blacklisting white men. Part of his lawsuit mentions that Google allowed some batshit insane otherkin to hold an internal presentation for employees for example.

Silicon Valley is swimming in pozz and they actively refuse to hire white and East Asian men.

I wasn't aware Google was a part of the video game industry. Also, since when was Elgoog a spitting example of good programming in general? These are the faggots that went no-sql because they were broke college faggots that couldn't negotiate a contract with IBM, EMC, or even fucking Oracle.

meanwhile I just sit here on a z13 programming in Natural w/ADABAS

I'm talking about the IT industry in general. If you look at BioWare they are no different from Google in terms of the animals they hire.

What has that to do with their hiring practices?

Isn't that because coordinating the code between two programmers is a horrible pain in the ass and a job in itself?

Videogame companies have a reputation for treating staff like dogshit and since decent programmers tend to expect some decency, they avoid it like the plague.

If you build shit out of shit you're going to have hire shit-tier people to work in shit.

Yeah that's basically a summary of what I stated missing all the details. Video game companies decided to go with the faggots, trannies, furries, journos, and sjws. No one made that decision for them. The result is as I stated here:

sometimes i think that i have pre senile alzheimers
im sure theres something wrong with me

What you said alone is just too many cooks in the kitchen. Though there are certainly many other reasons.

It's like dishonored all over again

What is the minimum for remove levels or modify them? Like as an example on 100 betatester if half of them don't get the answer they change it? Or will they change it even if only one gets confused?

Ever heard the phrase "too many cooks spoil the broth"? That's exactly what is going on here. You get hundreds of people, each of them contributing only a tiny bit to the whole, and it's like a giant fucking jigsaw puzzle where everyone's making a few pieces by themselves with no master plan. You expect them to fit together perfectly at the end? Don't be ridiculous; it will all be shoved together, taped and glued together, and in the end probably fall apart anyway.

Source on the video? He still hasn't publicly worked on any actual released game has he?

Could that be their goal? Crash the industry and then revive it with their crappy indie "games" that you mentioned that barely play like actual games (and have no replay value or even multiplayer) while it's all promoted by the journo clique?

Not a bad reasoning.
Remember the NES days when a game like Balloon Fight was just made by 3 people who had to do multiple roles (and doesn't even have a credit list), while a downloadable title like Scott Pilgrim vs The World has to thank everyone at Ubisoft divisions around the world, is 20 minutes long and was unskippable until later patches. And to make the comparison maybe a little more valid, even something Double Dragon NES credit list is like a minute long.
I know I heard stories out there of people asking to something small on a game (or barely anything) just so they could get their name in the credits.

The same people that flooded painting and sculpture are now flooding entertainment which is also art.

Too many cooks and too much complexity. Two programmers can get each other to the point where they both understand nearly all of the code. With 200 programmers, they are broken into 20-40 teams, all working on 100+ features of the game. Any single programmer will understand only one or two features of the game: complex interactions may only be understandable after a week or two of study. With a large program, small bugs can have large, unpredictable consequences.
Some of this is the intrinsic ambiguity of language: a sentence one person thought was clear was interpreted differently by another.

Sometimes, you are using a library that know one really knows how to use. Just from personal experience: we have a plotting tool that uses OSG to display 2D and 3D plots of simulation data. We have spent man-months trying to figure out why it sometimes crashes while creating plots or removing them. All we know is that we are using OSG incorrectly, causing it to crash in OpenGL. No one on the team has enough experience with OSG or OpenGL to fix the problem.

Basically. If you've ever worked on code, you know it can be tough to pick up on someone else's work, particularly if the code isn't well-documented/commented upon. Now take this issue and spread it over upwards of hundreds of programmers, and things can get really buggy, really quickly.

Worth noting that in terms of the amount of programming involved in newer games, the increased number of programmers is borderline necessary in many cases, so the solution to the problem isn't exactly a straight shot.

On top of what everyone else has said, the industry started treating programmers like shit, and the good ones went "I can take another job, be paid more, be treated better, and still have a fulfilling career" so they left.

>Flooding art

Videogames are not art. Robert Ebert said so

So if it ain't art, i can create games that are personal statements, opinions, and get away with it?

Videogames are political. Praise Markism :^)

Are you implying you can't make personal statements in art?

People painstakingly creating, entertainning functions, 2D and 3D artwork, music, and sound effects to create a well thought out product in the end sounds like art to me

There's this stuff mentioned in the book: Clean Code.

It tells of managers who want to speed up development in order to meet the deadline.
The programmers don't intervene because they don't care, are afraid of confronting the managers, etc.
So in order to meet the deadline, managers hire more people.
Except simply hiring more people and rushing them into the project only creates more bugs.
Programmers don't clean up or refactor shit code, hence it becomes more buggy, and becomes very hard to understand.
Everyone inevitably misses deadline anyway.

QA and play testers are not the same thing. QA does its job, but they are the most heavily abused group in game development, both by publishers and developers. They file obvious and easily reproducible bugs, the devs reply with "could not replicate," or "will not fix" and then the game launches with these bugs and turn into. Crowbcat compilation.

Play testing is about seeing if the average retard gamer can understand and complete the game being made. QA is just trying to fix up what should be complete at that point.

Then when QA is "finished" they all get fired until they need a new QA team three months later for the next game.

Not sure why that period showed up out of nowhere.

Oh, yes yes, WOMEN are at fault! (Somehow).
Like how can you even think like that, what a dumb thought that is seriously.

OBVIOUSLY, the fault lies with mismanagement and scope. Huge resources going to marketing, theres so much money involved with making videogames the projects are just way too big. Good luck putting your heart into something you're barely connected to because you got like 500 people working on it and you've got many hours to fill. You have to meet your managers unrealistic demands because your managers manager told him so because his manager said the marketing department said it should be done right on time for Christmas.

Play any modern game and it feels like any other because they just use a formula with a theme and try to tick as many boxes before time runs out and its released.

Programmer here, can verify.

Why work in a dead-end industry that belittles your efforts, piles on overtime without pay, and fucks you over the moment sales don't meet marketing expectations when you can get a solid good paying job doing the same thing?

If it makes you feel any better, I saw two separate threads on Holla Forums with people slamming Google for various reasons, one regarding a lawsuit

Should've used ; instead of ,
I never intended to imply they're the same.
Playtesters dumb the game down, while QA makes sure it doesn't work.

By hiring gender studies majors instead of programmers.

What's this now? Some kind of style authoring/management tool?

Same thing happened to the Big 2 in the comic industry.

It's a generic term for any tool that highlights syntax and style errors in code. It's a type of static analysis.

This.

[ughs audibly in the distance]

Are you fucking retarded? Yes mismanagement is also to blame, but hiring people for diversity's sake has also plagued the tech industry for awhile.

Did Mark start a cult?

OP, part of the probelm is precicely because they have 50 fresh-out-of-college programmers trying to sort through eachothers spaghetti code, as opposed to two programmers who communicate effectively and know eachother's code inside and out. The majority of videogame publishers don't understand that adding more people to an already late project (or a rush job from the get go) only serves to make it later, or more broken.

Have you ever read The Mythical Man Month? I'd highly recommend it if you have any interest in computer design, programming, or business history.

Speaking of silicon valley tech companies, they don't want their programmers to ever leave the building so they treat them like spoiled children.
Also, all to often these companies misunderstand what programmers actually want or need to be productive. Your average productive programmer would rather be in the first pic than in the second, but tech companies keep giving them the second. That's twitters offices, by the way. Give the programmers separate offices? No way! We need to make room for the large empty welcome halls and the air-hockey table!

This happened a week ago.

It's easier to juggle with two people than 200 people.

I don't believe it, soo… Go away?

This is the actual state of a large part of the current software industry.

Obviously you are both right in your observations. So stop being so triggered because we like to make our knee-jerk reactions at your sex's expense.

Fuck off back to Reddit you cock sucking faggot. Here's a direct quote from the creator of Assassin's Creed:

That ideology is one of the many cancers killing game development.

Global report. Go back to tumblr, you stupid fucking vapid bitch. Enjoy being raped to death by the niggers and dune coons you import to the West.

And just in case it wasn’t clear to you (you’re a woman, so it won’t be), I called you a vapid bitch not as a random insult, but because the fact that you are, indeed, a woman is so glaringly obvious that some of us are literally blinded by it. Blinded insofar as it is preventing them from telling you just how fucking infantile you are, simply because they give a shit what a pair of tits thinks about matters of the male workforce.

You answered yourself: 2 talented people made a good game.
But when you fill a building with 2 or more people to work on a single project, the chances of idiots filling the spots raise to almost 100%. When those idiots are marxists, women and slave races (street shitters, apes, etc) hired by jews, it is guaranteed that the final product will be of the lowest quality.

Also, this.

And that whole mismanagement is done by women and/or orbiting numales that obey some whore in a company, even if he is in a leading position.
Women and shitskins ARE what make almost any project a failure from the start. They are all inferior beings. animals that act on impulse and can not rationalize anything.

You don't "believe" facts. You accept them. In your case, yo are just an animal that confuses feelings with capacity to think. You are a disposable tool that will be discarded and replaced until you die alone.

*fill a building with 200 or more.

Race, your interests/ideology, and gender doesn't affect much. Just your attitude and problem solving skills. If you're a Marxist unable to take criticism, then it'll tank overall.

It's the natural cycle of things.

Something gets so big that it eventually crumbles. This happens to most everything in existence. From civilizations to genres of music, they have their glory days and there comes a time when they begin to fade away. It has something to do with it becoming popular and over exposed.

Good vid's user, even watched the entire first video and I think I got a good gist of what you are trying to say.

Even an actual game designer in the comments calls out the misleading title of the video.
Im a game designer of 6+ years on AAA games, and this video should be titled "Day in the Life: Video Game Level Designer. As a "Game Designer" for 3 different AAA studios the video game designers and I were first and foremost Scripters. You'd come in sit down grab the latest build files from P4, build code and art assets, then get to work in a script editor like SlickEdit, Crimson Editor, Notepad++, or some studio-created script editor. And you start writing script code. Level Designers either build BSP maps like Hammer Editor or Unreal Editor, or work with Environment Artist to build levels based on a modular toolset with pre-built art assets that piece together to make a level. If you want to become a "Video Game Designer" please for the love of God learn to code in C++. And for college please for the love of God get a Computer Science degree from a state U and not from Full Sail.

Race defines intelectual capacity. A nigger can never process thought above the minimal (animal-like) required to blend into human society (that is, Men society). The same applies to women. Give any project of any magnitude to a nigger, other slave races or a woman to manage (or even to work on it with others leading it) and see it all fall apart.
The same applies to other animals that confuse feelings with capacity for thought, such as leftists.

It has nothing to do with lack of talent or anything like that. It's due to publishers insisting on dev cycles becoming so ridiculously short that they have to make up by hiring more employees, which in turn makes for a worse product. Couple that with a minimum-risk taking policy and you end up with games that don't try anything new AND run like shit.

It can't be a talent issue simply because there's so many people in the industry that, logically, the good ones would stick around. But since they burn through so many of them for the above reasons, which result in overall poor work conditions, all that's left is the next batch of college graduates who have no actual work experience. There's simply no way 200 people who don't know what they're doing can make a good game within just a year.

wut

All the new blood coming in is naive dipshits. Anyone will talent will leave fucking immediately. I remember watching an interview with valve employees and one of them said "I actually tried games before and it was so awful I quit the industry and never came back. I gave valve a chance and it's been completely different", but valve is basically the silicon valley of games.

Well said.

t. faggotposter

user hooktube is just youtube embeds

How the fuck did Tumblrites end up here?

Its not an eventuality retard, it's corruption.

Your hate is addicting to receive.

Talent gets diluted if you add a thousand monkeys

One of those original programmers is left. The other 199 are affirmative action.

The reason I quit my last job

Because the idea that quantity = quality still persists.

Jesus christ what is is happening in the second picture? I am certain that if the guy who wrote that shit spent just five minutes googling he could have avoided that ratfuck.

Cake for the cake god!

DEAR GOD

The poo must flow

Kind of answered your own question there

Is he just brute forcing the code?
I don't program, but this seems redundant.

You know what else is addicting to receive? My semen. Open wide baby

Because it's run by vulnerable sociopaths and tsunderes. This is why even Americans are getting into visual novels and bishoujo; Japan doesn't have degenerate cancer everywhere.

lel. Either tell your retarded friend he was stupid enough to hire a pajeet so he's gonna deal with his own mistake, or rebuild the site from scratch. It's easier than fixing garbage turd-worlder code.

I don ged id :DDD

Why should I listen to a pedonazi?

Like it's just fun seeing you guys get so super duper angry because of frankly completely sane and socially dominant opinions. Like hearing it makes you realize how bad of a loser you are in life and how weak you are, all you that's left for you to do is lash out and abuse me. I love it.
You should be thanking me for being your punching bag.

He could have done something like this.

I don't doubt that. After all, you're pretending to be a woman

Deadlines, inhuman working hours, constant jerking around of workers between projects, the lack of work team integrity, project managers chasing new fads and forcing the workers to drop everything to implement a new thing just to take it out later, and last but not the least MARKETING is now the main thing, with the programmers being clinically underpaid for the amount and density of work they do.

But also, videogames are now mainstream, which means that A LOT more people are flooding the industry. Talent did not disappear, it simply became very dilluted.

You're being very stupid. I mean neckbeard level self-unaware levels of stupid. Alan Turing was a fag. Ada Lovelace was a woman. You're trying to excuse yourself being a social simpleton with the contrived idea that it's a consequence of you being a fucking coding Messiah.

[citation needed]

You talk like a gash.

Bravo

wew

Yeah and actually that tabControl1 shit doesn't even need the arguments at all because they're not being used.

I doubt you can really link women being women and fags being fags to them being bad at things. That just sounds like an excuse.

holy fucking shit and I don't even do programming.

In a way, I guess you can call it that.
It's a bad practice because it's static. It's using 'magic' numbers, numbers that you don't even know why it is that specific number.

Another reason it's bad is because it's nested.
Guy should avoid making nested statements, should make everything very understandable on first glance.

user are these people doing this for money? I'm a hobbyist and I swear to god if this is the amount of knowledge required I'm fucking qualified for a job.

Was Ada Lovelace really a programmer? What did she do?

You can when they're hired just for being women and fags instead of being hired for actual programming ability.

Yeah but then the issue is not them being fags or women but the fact that people hire incompetents.

Wrote a bunch of algorithms and was one of the first to bring up the idea of using computers to achieve goals that don't have much to do with mathematics.

You should start sending out resumes now. I shit you not we're getting Pajeet contractors that do not even know the languages they have on their resumes because the contracting agencies actually commit fraud and edit the resumes with keywords that apply the the position before sending them out. We're getting Pajeet contractors that sit in their chair all day long and do not write one single solitary line of code, go home at night, and have one of their programmer friends write and commit code for them.

Actually that is this issue, because being fags and women is what causes their incompetence to be overlooked. Which is why you can't trust fags and women in programming to have any idea what they're doing.

Anyone got the csgrad original? That first one needs it. Badly.

Also someone post that Holla Forums code with the Hadouken in some pyramid of indentation 5-7 levels deep.

I mean a clean source image for pasting into other pictures.

The most dense fucking people on the planet. Had a college venting for about an hour because one could not understand that "no the software isn't fucking in the SOE" means the software isn't in the SOE.

Here's the ones I have, is it one of these you're looking for?

Wait, fuck, I didn't actually read what you were asking for.

offices like that are absolute cancer, even cubicles are better