8/v/ essentials chart

thought id make a thread about this, haven't seen one in a while.
has anybody created an updated version of this lately or is this still the most recent?

Yeah, this chart.

B-but I actually liked .
pls no bulli ;_;

Can we replace Bloodborne with Nioh now?

I also liked Star Fox Zero

Shite

Where is DMC3.

ooga booga

You couldn't be completely wrong after all.

Besides the baiting some of the games on that list are actually pretty good though.

Why do you think it's called bait, you dildo?

That's the bait. The obviously shitty games are just an obvious joke.

Under Madworld.

Oh.
My mistake.

I don't like the idea of categorization like that. Too many eras, consoles, and similar genres. Needs to be like the elemental diagram and have various indicators like moving right means games become more X (like faster paced). Also rfactor 1.. really? Compared to Assetto Corsa and PCars 2 its a decade behind, boring and bland, terrible UI.

That chart is just as much of a joke as the last time I saw it

I know for a fact that it's outdated because the user that made them added Tyrian at my behest.

oof

now watch as the weeb realizes his opinion is shit

SUPEME SHIT TASTE

What's the difference between crpg and wrpg?

Am I the only one that like the first Torchlight more than 2?

Shmup section should definitely contain Jets'n'Guns.

Here's the SNES list for easy-to-emulate games. Does anyone know if this has been updated since?

TL2 is just okay.
Better with mods.

Everyone likes Grim Dawn over TL2

Someone please make an objective version of this chart. I want to know what games are factually best, not opinionally best.

Factually best and essential by Holla Forums's standards or generally.

Got you covered

Any past attempt and any future attempt at such a chart will be equally unsuccessful and for obvious reasons. A camel is a horse designed by committee and any chart created by group submissions will feature similarly bizarre genre choices and classifications, like the inexplicable inclusion of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker as one of the twelve most essential puzzle games of all time. This will never, ever be fixed because no single user is well-versed enough in every genre to curate each section's entries to the satisfaction of that genre's hardliners, resulting in either a) totally bland and predictable recommendations in each genre you could find on any site, rendering the chart useless, or b) bizarre inclusions which are only there because one very adamant user wanted it there and wouldn't shut up until it was included. Or both.

The only current year+2 game that's included is Hollow Knight because it has the loudest fans.

since when was supreme commander a bad game?

why?

Spot an assmad consolefag.

But muh Xonotic.

Shitpost negated

/r/ing the xbox 360 & hueg charts.
i ended up with a free 360 the other day but i don't know what is one there besides jsfr & panzer dragoon

There was another chart like this, but with some different games on it, and I can't find it anywhere.

hey!
Remember Me was great.
I'd fuck Nilin so goddamn hard

Didn't think anyone else has heard of that, it's legit a good game, I recommend it.

We had threads when the game came out.

kill yourself

1. Are you retarded, fix your grammar.
2. Those are Xbox games.
3. 360 has Saints Row, Ace Combat 6, Lost Odyssey, Deadly Premonition, and Forza Horizon as its only worthwhile games.

It is polished metroidvania perfection

I've got one from the 27th of November.

since someone bothered to add a VN section, there might as well be Steins;Gate on the list as well.

DmC is genuinely good tho.

This list feels like it had a few too many random autists contribute and not enough people from the threads which would focus on each genre.
Still decent overall though, but goddamn

There is one though.

Nier is under Action-RPG

The games in these lists are always garbage.

was shit and always will be shit. Try playing it today on a controler and having fun, I fucking dare you
IT'S FUCKING SHIIIIIIIIT

Its the shittiest one out of the AW series

Fuck, I'm blind apparently

A Hat in Time needs to go in 3D platformers & La Mulana into Metroidvanias

Man that Alice game was shit

PATHETIC

Almots forgot:

No Drakensang

if anyone can post more of the system specific ones that would be sweet
Recommended hacked/ fan created and fan translated lists are great too

create a new list then with games that arent garbage?

This one is better, but:

Also, cluttering the list with more than one game from a series should probably be avoided.
Imagine if the stealth section was just 4 MGS and 3 Splinter Cell games.

I cant tell because I'm blind, is there gauntlet dark legecy, killer 7 or geist on there?

It doesn't matter where it is, it should be included.

Halo 2 and ODST unirionically deserves a place in these, but Holla Forums is retarded and insists on holding halo responisble for the failures of the trends it set

take dark forces out of fps and put dark forces 2 in action adventure

Changes so far:
1. Cut Red Dead: Redemption.
2. Moved MGS3 from Stealth to Third Person Shooter (slot freed up by removing RDR)
3. Cut Burnout Revenge (Takedown is already there and it's better), added Wipeout 2097
4. Stuck Hidden and Dangerous 2 into the open slot in Stealth (it could fit either there or FPS I guess)
5. Moved Pikmin to puzzle replacing Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
6. Stuck R.U.S.E. into the open RTS slot.
7. Put Mechwarrior 3 in simulation after some creative use of cropping to make a space.
8. Cut Kerbal from Simulation
9. Moved Tie Fighter into simulation instead of Kerbal
10.Cut FFVII and replaced it with Skies of Arcadia
11.Moved La Mulana into metroidvania, there's an open slot in 2D platformer now
12.Cut Riven, readded Crusader: No Remorse (it doesn't really fit anywhere so it can go in adventure)
13.Cut Ace Combat 5 since there are another two Ace Combat games there anyway(I could add it back instead of 4, really that's a coin toss)
14.Added European Air War to flight
15.Added Strike Fighters 2 to flight
16.Added Sega Soccer Slam to sports since there was an open slot, sports probably needs a rework anyway
17.Cut Stronghold Crusader, swapped in the superior Stronghold 2
18.Cut Daytona USA 2001, replaced with the obviously superior Daytona USA arcade

sage

Please remember that this is based on editing an older chart I 'inherited' so some things are legacy games that need to be changed. Picrelated is how it looked originally.
Potential changes or previous suggestions that didn't get argued for (feedback required):
Cut Bloodborne and/or Kingdom Hearts and/or one of Diablo 1 and 2?
Remove either NWN1 or NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer?
Remove one of the two Ultima games?
Cut one of the Viewtiful Joe games (my guy says 2) to free up some space in Beat em Up? I seem to remember playing a pretty great bamham game that would fit in there but I cannot remember which one it was as it was over a fucking decade ago.
Replace Soul Calibre 2 with 5? That seemed controversial when originally suggested but being white I'm not too experienced with fighting games.
Cut a 2D Mario? I'd say Super Mario World is the least great of the possible candidates.
Swap Metroid Fusion for Zero Mission? The argument for that was something about Fusion being overly cinematic.
Swap Jedi Academy for Jedi Outcast?
Cut one of the three Silent Hill games?
Cut one of the two Fatal Frame games?

Not denying that

Oh and it's probable Bamham Arkham Asylum should end up in action adventure even if it is responsible for years of shitty combat systems.

I could just as easily put in the first Stronghold but Crusader is overrated and pandered to 'I want combat only' multiplayer faggots.

Also if the games are good it doesn't matter how many slots they take if they're from a franchise. You can literally make the chart bigger if necessary and it won't make a difference

Either Bloodborne or Kingdom Hearts should probably get cut for Nioh yes. Willing to hear arguments for either.

I was going to cut one of the two NWN games anyway, which M&M though?

Where does Tyrian go?

Fighting games are one per series and if you want to suggest something new pick something to cut.
I can add a Front Mission but I'm not sure which one and one of Tactics Ogre, FFT or Fire Emblem would need to go.
As of this revision there are no FF games at all but yes VII being there is a bit of a legacy thing.
The racing section has had a bit of an update.

The Alice games were fun to look at but throughly average to actually play. You're right on Daytona though (that was a game that was on the original chart way back), I'm not happy with the image I got to represent the arcade version of Daytona USA but it'll have to do if faggots can't suggest a better one.

Pick one faggot and make an argument for why.

Not much to be honest.

It requires mods to allow camera rotation and coop.

Suggest a game to cut for it.

Probably worth considering.

You'd have to pick a game to cut.

If fags want a different Persona game pick one of 1, 2 or 3.

I guess if both Bloodborne and Kingdom Hearts are cut one could fit in ARPG. Frankly either Diablo or Diablo 2 should probably go as well.
Pick one and suggest a replacement.

I've been planning to cut a few games from the FPS section as is.

Pick a different AW game then.

Shadow Warrior is far and away the weakest of the Build Engine games. Frankly Duke 3D is also thoroughly overrated: it declines quickly after the first 3 levels of L.A. Meltdown, Blood is the superior game overall. However anons like Duke so I guess it has to stay.

Wait a few months on A Hat in Time, it's too new for consideration.

Outcast as in that early sort-of Open World game? I've got a physical copy of that I picked up on my backlog but I assumed it would just be a case of ambition without the tech to back it up like e.g. Chrome.
Must admit to never having played it and rarely hearing about it. Looks pretty good though.

It becomes a question of whether or not it's good enough to displace an existing game.

Shits the best halfway through with Panzerkliens.
I've not played the second one, which is better?
MGS doesn't belong in stealth anyway.
My rule of thumb is no duplicates unless both/all three games are great and cannot be decided between (e.g. Thief 1 vs Thief 2) or the later entries in the series have major gameplay differences (RE4, C&C Generals).

Nice.
Dark Forces 2 is the worst (or least great) game in the DF/JK series, it sits uncomfortably on the transition from 2.5D to 3D FPS gameplay and on the transition of the series from FPS to Lightsaber + guns and as a result does nothing well. Dark Forces is a great game once you get over the initial mazey levels and made good use of its engine's new tech without feeling like a tech demo. I was thinking about sticking JK2 in Action Adventure though.

Don't think so.

Also one of the 3D Mario games should probably get cut.

Shoo, reddit.

kill yourself

Somehow, the list got even worse.

Change Stealth back to the original one, take MGS 3 out of it (put it in Action and Adventure) and put Pandora tomorrow in.

Might as well put the batman games in the stealth section if you think games like MGS 2 have deep stealth.

Why did EU3 get taken out? It's a much better game then 4 will ever be and it still holds up nicely today with mods

Nevermind. Made a slightly less cancerous edit myself.

It's more like even if you've already played 90% of these games your a fucking pleb the list.

You retards that's the old version not an update.

I mean it's right here
in the first line of the post: Picrelated is how it looked originally.

is this the next hl3 meme?