Games with bastardized localization

With all the talks of video game "localization" and whatnot, I just realized that there really isn't a conclusive discussion on what titles actually have been altered "beyond reason and logic". We already know about Working Design, NoA, NISA, and Bamco's infamous history of it (Thereby calling almost all of the games they worked on as "tainted"), but what about other titles that are not thrown into the light of day as much.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/X2w49
imgur.com/a/HQpHJ
archive.is/fi9q4
nippon1.jp/news/new_title_interview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Older games like Breath of Fire 2 and Final Fantasy 7 have really bad translations.

Jesus fucking christ that's some powerful cancer.

Bastardized?
Or fixed?

Fixed?
Or neutered?

All localization are cancer.
Always reach normalfags and make them demand non-localized translations.

Bastardized, as all soyboys are.
There is nothing to fix in the lore of japanese games. We will fix the western localization problem though.

Reminder to learn Japanese

>play FE3 on an SNES emulator

Why is this so hard.

What a world we live in where the FF7 localization was on the high end of the curve.

Wasn't FF7 translated by the devs themselves?
Or was that a rumour I just heard?

Supposedly it was interns at Sony, but who fucking knows. Square is infamous for retconing and distorting the truth with all their Ultimania collections and shit.

Aksys is falling under this, albeit slowly. 8-4 taints their work when they don’t have a tight leash and even then they slip things in here and there.

There is a solution to this.
dont play weebshit

A lot of shit from the nineties

Are we talking book 1 or 2? Because the 1 remake wasn't that bad.

The madmen

imgur.com/a/X2w49

imgur.com/a/HQpHJ

Supposedly earlier FE releases had bad translations too? I know one of Ike's games had a difficulty removed, other than that idk, just heard they did from two dumbass e-celebs that got completely asshurt that people didn't like the doge meme in Tri Force Heroes. They then spend 5-10 minutes shilling for the IF hackjob because 'muh awakening' but didn't even know those were different translation teams.
People tried to pass off the removed conversation in IF as a 'reference' to this.

Xenoblade X.
Early Castlevania games had the Holy Water and Crucifix items changed to Firebomb and Boomerang for some reason. Because we can't have any of that pesky Christianity in a game about killing Dracula, goyim!

Path of Radiance changed some characters like Marcia. In Japanese, she's supposed to be much less aggressive, which you can see even in the English version of her introduction. Over here, she's taunting the pirate captain and then immediately backs off into a corner, which is oddly inconsistent.

Digimon World's North American "localization" has a bug where the game crashes if you ever try to interact with the jukebox. If you haven't saved recently, you can lose a lot of time to that shit, and this isn't the type of game you play in short bursts, either.

But at least it's not the European version, where the game is literally impossible to complete because they fucked up and made it so a dialogue that is essential to continue the game never appears.

I'm also bothered when I look back at games that I used to think didn't have much of a story, then I look at the Japanese manuals, and realize the story was there all along. Mega Man and Sonic the Hedgehog had super deep lore the entire time, but (((localizers))) removed all of it, so westerners think these series didn't get really autistic until Mega Man X/Sonic Adventure, when that couldn't be further from the case. Even when story is even less important than in those games, it can still be fun, and localizers remove it. Like Volvagia from Ocarina of Time actually first appeared in Zelda II, but the localizers of Zelda II decided to rename him, so you'd never know that they're the same character. Yeah the story isn't important, but it's fun that Ocarina of Time has a lot of things named after things in Zelda II, and removing one is stupid.

Those two were actually slightly different: ヴァルバジア VS バルバジア. I doubt it was literally intended to be the same monster so much as a reference like all of the sage names.

Well yeah but that's what I mean. It's cool to see all the references like the Sages/Towns, and at first you'd think those are the only references like that, but if you look deeper, there are even more. Only one of the most obvious ones got removed by localizers.

Is it, though?

Holy fuck, they were pulling that kind of shit since the GBA days?

I don't care about shit translations anymore because I know that no lifers will fix it for me.

Yeah. One of the most fun parts of Zelda is getting lost in the world, and having references like that gives you a feeling that the world is more alive, because you can see it evolving through the games. Removing intended references makes it feel less like the world you saw in the other game, so it feels less like evolving and getting deeper into the same world, and more like just going into a new, less developed world. It really goes against one of the key draws of the series.

Or you were probably trolling me, but still, I reserve the right to get autistic about this on Holla Forums.

I brought up Digimon earlier. The entire franchise revolves around a series of games that was released only in Japanese and only on WonderSwan, and almost 20 years later, the best translations we have are 15 year old patches that amount to badly changing some text boxes on the intro movies and then giving up and leaving the rest in Japanese.

Sometimes there are things too autistic for even the top autists to bother with.

Those two don't even have a support.

Fixing you say.

Oh now I notice that it says Nino. Silly me.
I was a bit surprised since I played FE7 and don't remember anything like that.

Good.

>One of the most fun parts of Zelda is getting lost in the world, and having references like that gives you a feeling that the world is more alive, because you can see it evolving through the games. Removing intended references makes it feel less like the world you saw in the other game, so it feels less like evolving and getting deeper into the same world, and more like just going into a new, less developed world. It really goes against one of the key draws of the series.

You realize that argument falls apart when series followers go into each installment expecting some familiarity with the game and it's world while also some contrasting differences, otherwise why are they going to this series instead of picking Darksiders or Neutopia or Okami if they just care about the gameplay and don't care about the world?

Fuck working designs. This was really good game. SRPG with multiple paths. Super Robot should learn something from it to make their games fun at least.

What? That is my exact argument. You're saying the exact same thing as me.

OH!
The way I read your comment, it sounded like you were countering my point. Feel free to bully me for that.

Fucking Dynamite Headdy

The only thing besides some shit in PoR is in FE7. In addition to a boss' description being misleading, the nip version had a much more reclusive Eliwood. The one we got was a lot less beta.
It's not the original version but I kind of prefer it.
Also the Italian version was a fucking trainwreck apparently.

Pink haired pegasus knight's personality is completely made up.

Slow my ass. The fujos took them to task after repeated releases of subpar scrips for all the various boys love titles they've localized. Tokyo Xanadu & eX are only the latest in a long fucking line, my friend.

You wanna know why no one is going to have all those James Bond games be at the same level of respect as the movies?

The best JB games were ones that DIDN'T suffer from both factors. Even the most remembered Goldeneye 007 for N64, came out 3 years after the movie's release (and multiple delays) and it most remember feature (and replay value), the multiplayer was made at the last moment by a programmer and wasn't even told to Nintendo for fear that it would cause more delays.
An original JB game like Eurocom's Nightfire, is not a movie tie in allowing for proper dev time is also a good example of another JB game.

Do you mean Est? I feel like there were more pink haired Peg Knights than that but I don't really remember.

Marcia.

I didn't know about that because I don't enjoy that gay shit. Thanks for telling me about that though, user. No sarcasm.

You got me curious.

How much of Mega Man's story was lost to translation blunders, and what was lost? Because as far as I'm aware, the only major difference between US and Japan was that Wily never worked with Right prior to the series and was simply jealous of his success.

I really wish someone would go Dragonball Dissection-tier analysis on the series.

Deformed kikes such as you have no saying in anything.

Working Designs must become the rime example of why localization is cancer, in a way that even normalfags loathe them.
The corrupt media painted them as good "translators" in reparation for a full scale of censorship and localization for retards.

Also Bamco, with Tekken, practically create new dialogue and personality that differ from the japanese dub for it's characters in their english subs.

Square USA staff… specifically one guy: Michael Baskett. He did what he could - translating a 3 disc RPG in a tight amount of time and surviving.
Editors? Translation consultants? Script writing experts? Psssh, who cares.
Square and Sony were hoping for good sales but didn't expect the BIG hit that would sell a million so fast. With this, thankfully they pulled no punches with FF8's translation. Even the Spanish translation was extremely well done since they actually worked with a full-blown translation team for each language on that one.
FF7's other languages on the other hand were machine-tier/one-man efforts. You think FF7's English was bad… just try the German one (where there's random English left over) or god, the Spanish one (where a character is referred to as a male and as a female in the same sentence, and in one instance Sephiroth is called "Sífilo".)
I don't think Sony cared too much about the actual translation - just basic QA like any other game. They did take care of any and all marketing materials about FF7, however.

What does the jap cat says?

Guess what, you just found the inherent truth of video game translations that 99% of people will never understand no matter how many people tell them. There are no good translations.
1) 99% games have something fucked up happen to them in some regard. People make mistakes or poor decisions, and translators cannot see directly into the mind of the creator. It sucks. If you are playing a translated game, no matter what, you are not experiencing it the way it is intended.
2) People's who have never translated anything have no fucking clue what they are talking about and make up fake standards for it that shift like crazy. It is not about one ideology against the other. The goal is to be right in the middle, but the issue is that the closer you get to the middle, the harder it is to discern where it is.
3) There is never a 100% objectively good translation. You may think a line is "slightly off," but someone else would think that whatever your translation is would be "slightly off." This is not an excuse for poor translations, but it's just not possible to translate everything perfectly in a way that can please everyone.

Nigger, there are good translations but there are never perfect translations. Stop repeating yourself in every thread you’re in.

go watch GCCX. Arino played it

>Sonic the Hedgehog had super deep lore the entire time, but (((localizers))) removed all of it
If this is you, please make another video

ヴァル and バル sound exactly the same in Japanese. There is no Holla Forums phoneme.

Since I've done some translating myself, I can tell you there are two main problems.

First is to make the sentences sounds natural in the language the work is being translated into. Depending on the languages involved and complexity of the sentences, this can be either easy or hard.
Second is to carry the meaning, tone and implications of the text into another language. While that is significantly more difficult, it is doable. At least to an extent. There are times when you simply have to drop a part of a sentence (especially if there is an extra meaning that is only implied but not outright stated) because there is no way to fit it into another language, but it's very rare.

The thing with translating Jap into English (and this is something that I've noticed a lot) is that Anglos love to make assumptions based on what they know (and often see implications where there are none) and "spice things up" so the sentences don't come off as dry and unemotional.

That's NISA. You could probably make one just as long for Neptunia AU as well. Or Danganronpa v3.

Why did they make Aya mexican?

archive.is/fi9q4
nippon1.jp/news/new_title_interview/

Japanese original:
I will erase everything that stands in my way, destroying until there's nothing left.

Fan translation:
I will destroy everything that stands in my way until nothing remains.

Official translation:
I, will destroy all you fools!

Official localization:
You better not be one of those Gamergate creep shows, or else I'm gonna beat you up even harder!

Yeah there's a difference between incompetence and deliberate censorship.

Like Suikoden was translated by one guy, who really did his best but got too little time and budget to do it well.

Reposting from the Vita thread, but XSeed/Pqube never bothered to include the 1.01 patch (~241MB) that is present on the japanese version. This ended up creating a rift between the western version having a dead online while the japs still get to regularly play this game even today (but you cant join them because they're on 1.01)

Certainly the same case with EDF3 Portable but cant say for sure as I only own the japanese physical. (The japs also still played it online when I went back on it in December)

I speak japanese.
All localizations are shit.
(((localizer))) must become a crime, and the piec es of shit that partake in this stoned to death.

It's a bunch of little things that add up. A lot less of Proto-Man's backstory being mentioned in the manuals, Quint never being mentioned as Future Rock, games more story focus than most like Super Adventure Rockman and Challenger to the Future never being released here (though I guess that's not a translation blunder, it's just complete lack of translation). Lots of characterization for the Robot Masters and stuff, too. I highly recommend looking at the Japanese manuals. The American ones also add a lot of retarded stuff. I'm also still butthurt about changing character names and thus throwing off naming schemes, like Mega Man not fitting with the music theme, and how they never know what to call "Rock" in the localizations due to it.

I'm workin' on it. Video editing is a lot harder than I thought.

That would depend which group's subtitles you end up with though.

Christ, this is just sad.

Point is a large majority of the people that bitch about localization don't speak Japanese. The reason you don't hear me bitching about them is because I play the games in their original language, so I don't give a shit if a localization is bad or not. And if I didn't speak Japanese, do you really think that I would come here to make fun of people who don't? Nice projection faggot.

Don't you have a vita thread to shit up?

Holy fuck they didn't even bother making shit up.