a.pomf.cat/keinbr.rar

Tech 5x, recipes 1x
Version 0.16.15
Piratefags can connect
Server browser: 8/v/
IP: fagtorio.dynu.net:3400
password: vidya

New patch. RIPIP magic belt sorters.

What the fuck is that? Just use buffer chests and stack filter them instead of wasting valuable space.

It's a piece of modern art.

Did I just never notice these before, or are these totally new? These things are amazing. At this point, all I could really hope to ask for would be special flechette ammo fired by a full artillery battery that fires entire blueprinted modular outposts with a complement of construction robots at targeted points on the map.

I spit on you

Jokes on you faggot, there's no reason in joining now anyway since the only thing left to do is build the rocket and finish the game.

With research and tech costs set to Expensive or Marathon, and Bob's and Angel's Petrochem installed, multiplayer would probably be really fun and worth the trouble.
For vanilla, even with x5 research, I agree. It's just too easy, everything feels basically free and effortless, and the game is just way too damn short to justify bothering with it.

A good, solid playthrough should run 100 hours at an absolute minimum, and a good portion of that time should be spent holding your head in your hands wondering how the fuck you're going to make shit work.

bobs+angels with additional content is enough to fill a full 2 weeks 8 hours a day multiplayer autism without artificially increasing research cost, been there done that

Well there's not much farther you can take things. What other mods can you pile on top to further convolute everything?
Making the game easier just makes it boring. The fun of the game is the agony of it all.

I dont think you understand the full extent of angels petrochem

It makes the game so frustratingly convoluted and autismal to play that it's borderline impossible to force yourself through it. That's what's so great about it.
I haven't tried AAI yet, but from what I understand it's got a lot of overpowered stuff in it just like vanilla Bob's. The best part about Bob's is the Electronics changes, but god damn you need those Bob's fix patches to really mix up a lot of the vanilla recipes and severely tone down his modules if you want to have a good miserable time.

if you like your vidya like you like your lashings you might as well just play seablock fam
and AAI is extremely autistic
you have to get sensory data and transform that into AI commands through ingame circuitry

Oh shit, I'm going to have to get me some AAI, then. Those are some fresh sounding mechanics right there.
Never heard of it, but it sounds absurd so I'm interested.

And I was just going to make an engineering general.
Still waiting on the fucking uranium so I can kickstart the enrichment before tapping into nuclear power. Filled one steel chest and have 7 of the good stuff.

You know where it goes.

That's gonna be on your end, people have been connecting overnight.

The one time I hosted bobs+angels, the server pop quickly went from having some 6-7 people to just two, including me. For anyone who hasn't done hundreds of hours of factorio, it's not very fun dealing with the gorillion stupid ores and extra processing, and even then. If there's interest I can set it up in a few weeks, but I'd expect even lower turnout.

If I have to force myself for hours to play the game just to test the waters i'm obviously not having fun, just like my friend who not only runs all of angels shit with bobs mods and his own personally built artificial lengtheners, even that I can tolerate but he throws in "here fuck you play burner phase for a week" which is where I draw the line

holy fuck

That's what burner inserters are for.

what manner of autism is that

Pretty good, but I prefer

have you considered that hooktubing can be detrimental to the message you try to convey because theres no way to know what the fuck you you just posted without following the link?

Yes, well I don't have a webm of it on me and I wanted to post that quick. It's just a video of "Uranium Fever" by Elton Britt.

rocket's done
when's new server

Sounds like vanilla for me.

I dont think you understand

Yeah, this just makes me say "nope" and want to quit.

I don't think I'll start a new one right away, but discuss mods and map settings to use.

I liked most mods in this run and everything has seen some use, the only issues were the sign crashes from the shitpost mod and the DELET button being available to everyone, it should probably be admin-only. Nobody dicked anything up too bad this time, but even so. IAA and FARL might be interesting for another run. Planes were great the one time I played with them, but they're ridiculously OP. Some additional weapons could be nice.
World settings, map had too much water, next time it'd be a drier map. I like my bridges, but the resources became way too rare.

Just like, take half your boilers and place them on a different coal belt.

Angels petrochem is really easy, don't know why people act like its difficult. Only problem is that 90% of the icons look the same.

Put your power in a closed system using accumulators, since they are powered 2nd everything else will be powered 100% before the accumulator.

The coal patch is already fully exploited. I need to get more coal shipped in or get this fucking nuclear up and running. I had planned to get the nuclear going before the patch ran out but I underestimated how much fucking coal I needed.
Maybe I'll slap some of the solid fuel I have sitting around into a chest near the start of the coal input.

You need the black blood to pump through your veins.

You can technically run barebones nuclear with just one reactor and a couple heat exchangers if you're that low on power

Accumulators have poor throughput. It takes hundreds in a line to power a normal base which is really inconvenient.

Better is to just have really big buffers. A chest of 500 coal to feed each boiler, or 50 tanks full of steam works.

Solid fuel is great for power, should be using that before coal IMO. Make sure to crack from heavy oil to light oil for maximum efficiency.

Aside from that you can invest in some solar. It takes a lot to be 100% sufficient but just throwing down a few lines of them can make your fuel last a lot longer. Roughly 100 solar panels saves you 1 coal every second, or 1300 for a whole yellow belt of coal.

I mean use 1 accumulator to seperate the power circuit from the rest of the base. Since accumulators are powered 2nd, everything on the power generation side of the accumulator will be powered before power will go through the accumulator to the rest of the base. This ensures that you cant get yourself into a feedback loop where you slowly lose power or that you need to manually feed coal after a blackout.

nigga you don't understand

You can actually hook up the boiler inserters to their own power grid, that is only connected to some solar panels and capacitors.
This way, no matter what happens, your inserters will continue inserting coal and keep your factory running for as long as there is coal. The same could be done with the first boiler, which can be set up to only produce power for the inserters and coal drills, essentially turning your coal production and burning 100% independent from the rest of the power grid.

The sheer material waste of solar panels in real life makes me cringe. Factoring that in-coupled with the low energy output per unit, it's one of the dirtiest energy sources available.

The problem is that the throughput of each accumulator is only 300 KW, so if you're running a 30 MW base (outside of the drills and boilers) then you'll need a straight line of 100 accumulators. And as soon as you start going to 60 or 90 MW you'll need even more. Obviously this is no obstacle if you rebuild your power out in the middle of nowhere though.

Much nicer to just buffer it all and sound a warning or set up an automatic disconnect or something if the buffer runs below 90%.

Obviously you need to add a zero to that 612 solar panels you have.

I want to play with a friend and we have the same version, but mine is pirated and his is from GOG. Every time I try to join his server using his IP it won't let me in, can someone help?

Okay I misunderstood, you could try having a seperate accumulator/engine combo to power the power generation network seperately but I can see the logistical issues.

BULLY HIM!

That's the first place I seek help

He needs to disable verify user id in the server settings.

he did that

Are you using the same version? If he has the gog version then you can just take the install file and use that.

Factorio has artillery now?

Yee.
Gud shit.

I'll ask him to do so, thanks

it's why everyone should embrace the glow

Artillery and artillery trains. They only auto-target spawners, but you can designate targets manually if you want. Also I'm not 100% sure but I think the biters that get left without a base eat up FPS if you leave them alone.

Or you could just use burner inserters like a competent human being.

That doesn't matter since biters that have their base destroyed by arty always aggro towards the artillery.

Calll me incompetent one more time. I dare you motherfucker.
The electric inserter consumes 482 J per item moved if it is never idle.
The coal inserter consumes 142 857.1 Joules per item moved.
Even if the electric Inserter was idle for 10 seconds before moving that one item (which never happens at a reasonable load*), it would still be more efficient.

* One piece of coal contains 8MJ, but boilers operate at 50% efficientcy, so only 4MJ are available per piece of coal.
It takees 30kJ to heat one unit of water to Steam, and a boiler can produce 60 Steam per second, meaning a consumption rate of 60*30kJ per second, so 60*30*1000=1 800 000W (1.8MW)
Thus a boiler going at max speed (feeding two engines at max output) would consume a piece of coal every 2.2 seconds.
Your setup would need to be overspeced to produce 4.5 times as much power as you actually require for coal inserters to be useful,

No, I don't, and I don't run into problems such as .

What's theri range, I don't see a target in that pic

224 tiles when auto-targeting, 560 for manual targeting. Every level of range research increases that by 30%

The problem with power failing is that it lowers the rate at which you mine coal, which then recursively reduces your power level further so that you mine slower and go into a death spiral. Burner inserters are useless and only worsen the situation by stealing more coal.

It's not like I would've arrived at the stage our multiplayer world was at within 80 hours, we built everything big, and with our mod list this meant that 80 hours in, we had about 80 train stations and maybe 35-40 trains. It's still disheartening to lose motivation just as I'm getting to the good part.

But why would you bother even have boilers when you already have solar?

So the same range as a radar. Perfect for outposts then. Does the range extend in a square or a circle?

Brcause building solar panels requires stupid amounts of resources and energy. They are not the next step up, they are an expensive alternative and 50% reliable source of energy.
Pretty much their only use is emergency power, and even there they suck.

You mean 100%. It's called accumulators, user. There's literally no reason not to place a few thousand solar panels, a few thousand accumulators, and then forgot about energy entirely until you decide to do nuclear.

Isn't nuclear power a thing now? How is it?

Good if you have huge power needs wasteful if you don't.

Burners prevent the death spiral by preventing it from interacting with the inserters fueling your power. Your base will just run at lower capacity rather than spiraling.

Really expensive in material cost and needs it own unique infrastructure but only really necessary once your base is big enough to easily produce that quantity of products so I think it's balanced quite well. You can put multiple reactors next to each other for an output bonus.

do you have another arm filling your burner inserters?

Circle.

They feed themselves.

They take coal from the line and fuel themselves.

You don't understand how it happens.

It's not running out of coal, it's having less than 100% power supply that lowers your mining speed.

e.g., if you are mining at 100% but can only mine coal to supply 80% of your power needs, your mining drills now only run at 80%. Now that they are mining at 80% you only supply 64% of your power and you start mining at 64%. Eventually you're not mining anymore.

It happens a lot when you have a lot of variable-consumption buildings (usually laser turrets). A few sporadic power drops lowers your average mining rate below the rate at which you need coal and things go to shit. This is why having a big fat energy buffer is good.

In a brownout scenario burners will pull all along the belt rather than just at the end where coal is built up, won't they?

Nuclear is the best power source, but it requires you to build a huge facility, it's a pain to deal with and expensive to do.

To power a nuclear power plant, you need a nuclear power cell. To craft one, you need one of the good uranium. To get that, you mine uranium ore (which requires sulfuric acid per ore) and then throw it into the laundromats to filter it between shit uranium and good uranium, the latter only occurring 0.03% of the time. So before you get started on anything, you're gonna need a lot of fucking ore mined.

After that you have to build a power plant. Nuclear power plant's convert fuel into heat. Using heat pipes, you can pull the heat out of the power plant and put it into heat exchangers, which are essentially boilers that use heat instead of coal and produce significantly warmer steam (500c opposed to 165c). This steam can then be transformed into energy using steam turbines, which are similar to steam engines but then for the hotter steam.
That on its own is not bad, but one downside of nuclear is that you cannot TURN OFF nuclear plants. If you're producing more hot steam than you can process, or more heat than you can convert to steam, you're wasting it. It's not like boilers/steam engines that run at half speed when energy is satiated, nuclear runs at maximum capacity all the time, being wasteful in the process.
This requires you to immediately build a massive nuclear power plant in order to accommodate the output of nuclear energy (which is a lot!), buffer the steam into tanks, as well some wire logic to not turn on nuclear if its not needed. It's an undertaking, and you can't half-ass it.

Once you actually have a nuclear power plant running you'll have energy for days though, so it definitely is worth it. As you would expect, the energy for space is also significantly higher. It's good shit.
It also allows you to skip solar entirely. No longer will you have to waste huge amounts of space to power your shit.

0.7%, or roughly 1 in 140.

whups

Everything else is correct, though. How do you set up the circuitry for reactor switching? I am thinking it can't be abused too much, if reactor temperature drops too low you're gonna burn too much fuel to get it up to working temperatures.

Just don't insert fuel when hot steam exceeds a certain amount.
That way you can set it so you always have some steam (and thus energy) but not insert it if it would cause the steam to overflow.

Reactors don't lose temperature over time, you only have to preheat them once.

Shows how little I've dabbed into nuclear power. A billion mods does that for ya. Does the steam keep its temperature in containers, too?

Yes, there is no heat loss in factorio. You can store steam for any amount of time. If they added electric boilers, you could use steam instead of accumulators to store energy. You can also power outposts by delivering steam in trains, not that this is any more efficient than dragging a power line.

I can't wait until heat loss and condensation are added someday. It'll add a nice new wrinkle to setups that require monitoring not just supply and pressure but temperature over distance as well. Should be fun.

I also wonder if we'll get fusion power eventually since we just got fission power. With fusion power the door is opened for insanely wasteful feats since you basically have limitless "fuck you" power at that point. Shit like energy transfer between outposts using huge sustained in-atmosphere laser beams and other retardedly inefficient nonsense like that.

Depends on what belt you use and exactly how fast they are (linear relationship with power level).

For the most part it doesn't matter since when coal hits the end of the belt line it will become stationary and easy to pick up.

Basically just set up steam going into a bunch of tanks. When tank level

I had to restart my xander-mod playthrough since I fucked up ore gen but after installing RSO it's going really well. 4:30, starting to transition to main bus. Does anyone have sick burner assembler layouts from mods that add burner assemblers?

Sorry, I forgot the actual reason. If you fuck up and do spiral, burners will start up once you supply coal without the need to go over and manually dump coal into boilers.

But if you can power 50 mining drills to make the coal you can power 50 inserters to put it in. If would only make sense in some kind of situation where the mining drills are in another location on another power grid and coal was being trained in.

For Xander I didn't bother with a main bus until I unlocked most of the electric stuff. Just work on your small prototype factories and feed them by hand-loading everything into boxes.

Any advice in how to get to mid-game without spending 6+ hours designing your base and running out of resources before even getting to blue science?

Playing this game with OCD is a fucking pain and I've restarted three times already.

There are "starter base" blueprint books you can use. It will have smelting lines and main bus setups for pretty much the entire game. You can use it to skip the design phase. Also there are quick start mods that give you a personal roboport right away to skip the first phase, but you should beat the game once before using them.

Just up the resource density?

It should be pretty impossible to run out of resources before blue unless you've had a really low-resource start. You can always recover and move stuff around at no cost, so unless you accidentally filled a box with 10k turrets you can't waste resources.

How?
What the hell are you making to clear your entire starter fields without reaching blue science? I ran out of non-blue science things to research before I had oil set up in my most recent game with default settings.

I thought there was one for armour only. A portable reactor instead of solar panels.

r8 my shitty starter base.

Going for lazy bastard w/ death world. Surprisingly not that hard. Marathon is harder than death world. Needing T3 assemblers before mass oil production is suffering though, waiting around for slowass plastic.

To be fair the world gen seems rather finicky now. You can get some really shitty starts with 50k or less iron if water gets placed atop where your resources should be.

Nigger, what are you even going on about? You will have solar panels long before your coal consumption exceeds your coal production.

I usually play deathworld/marathon, and you often don't there.

Nah, they pretty much just stand around looking dumb. I killed 50000 of those fuckers and shaved 10 ms off each frame.

So is anyone else following the last two Factorio Friday Facts where there's a huge shitstorm over Bots vs. Belts?

They go through all these potential solutions to close the gap between them, as bots are currently at least 2x better than belts in an ideal setup, and more practically speaking probably close to 5x better. There's all these ideas for nerfing bots, or buffing belts, or adding new things to belts (apparently some kind of new configurable splitter mechanics, as in pic related).

I really like that they realized belts need a buff. I am not against bots, but when they become the dominant strategy for lategame and completely obsolete the belts, it makes me weep for my spaghetti. The splitter update is already a HUGE improvement, and this might not be the last belt buff we're getting.

This is communism tier nerfing.

I got an idea, speed beacon affects belt as well.

"balance" that only ends up making everything the same is pretty bad as well. Not sure what the best solution is but it would be nice if both choices just had more situational type of buffs so instead of a clear 'best' you've got two options with clear strengths that the other one might lack. Dunno if thats what the game needs though

Honestly I like how they are. It takes a lot of researching and infrastructure to get bots going on the scale that belts can be used so them being more flexible is fine by me. There's no need to make them better or worse though I wouldn't mind more options with splitters. Sorter splitters would be fucking fantastic.

I didn't imply adding any nerfs to anything. Just some way to buff belts in a way that will make them have some quality that is better than bots rather than just making both of them do the same exact job at the same speed etc

I don't get it, to have the same throughput as 8 blue belts using bots, you'd need a ludicrous number of roboports to keep the bots charged.

every item on the belt is an individual entity that needs to be taken out of a box by an inserter, placed on the belt, go through untold number of splitters which is additional ups, and then be taken off the belt by another inserter, all while doing collision checks the entire time (which has improved in 0.16). if you have 8 blue belts going that's a lot of individual entities.

meanwhile, for bots, each bot can hold 3 items, does zero collision checking, goes through no splitters, and each bot is an entity, instead of each item, which cuts the entity count down by 300%. the minimum number of inserters an item has to go through is also 30% less

(ignoring smelting, for iron plates)
belts:
3x inserters
train->inserter->box->inserter->belt->splitter(xN)->inserter->assembler

bots:
2x inserters and no splitters
train->inserter->box->bot->box->inserter->assembler

inserters are a major ups drain in large factories.

also the power to keep those roboports/bots charged is irrelevant because power/solar is free, all solar panels and batteries count as 1 entity on the same electrical network.

Belts are free and bots require a shitton of energy not to mention fps drops if you really have a lot of them.
Not to mention that you can adjust your lines to be as fast as production of materials.
You can think for a minute how to optimize. Or you can demand game to be dumbed down so you dont have to play it at all.

Yeah. And man, people are retarded about it. Bots aren't OP because they have high throughput. They're OP because they can balance their high throughput between multiple sources and destinations, automatically sort items, are extremely flexible with space use since you can put the roboports whererever, take less planning since you can always just add chests anywhere etc. They lack serious drawbacks compared to belts.
Instead of outright nerfing their capacity, they could e.g. expand the provider/requester chests to 3x3 entities so they'd be harder to fit into beacon grids, or require bots to have a home roboport and only service chests around it so you'd need to plan how items would flow from chest to chest. The core problem with bots right now is that their mechanics are too simple to really do anything clever with.

It's retarded bots aren't near as reliable as belts not to mention they need to be charged constantly.

Have you never used bots?

Bots trivialize everything. It takes like 10 bots w/ capacity bonuses to outperform a blue belt. You can have effectively infinite bots.

I have and I was not impressed.
I only use construction bots for auto repair and to lay down concrete.

If they only input and output box for a resource in point a and b, it will carry that.

It uses shortest path which is almost always best

Oh no, so much work.

You probably only made a few dozen bots and stopped. The point of bots is that you can have an unlimited number flying around. Build 500 and watch shit get done.

Yes and when it finishes it will either go to a roboport or do other tasks it will not stay near the chest until it is needed.

Almost being the keyword.

Exactly I ain't going to replace chests with a more expensive version that has the same storage size.

I did have a fully stacked roboport with them.

Also forgot to mention

It doesn't matter, chests are buffers. Throughput is what matters.

Don't design your base as some retarded donut shape with biters in the center and it's always the best.

r u jokin m8? Wow, that 10 iron and 10 steel in exchange for unlimited throughput. Need I remind you that a single belt of blue costs over 30?

Or did you not upgrade speed/capacity or something? 350 bots can accomplish anything faster than belts.

Belts were always better than bots, bots scale terribly, their AI is dogshit once you get too big, haven't you ever made a massive factory?
Granted bots are easier on the performance hit.

Isn't that just the speed by witch stuff is delivered.

Yes, but the point is that you don't need robots to sit and wait for shit. If an assembler outputs 1 item/s, it doesn't matter if 1 robot comes every 3 seconds or if 20 robots come every 60 seconds.

What? Just wire up a proper conversion process and you'll have no problem. That's a complete waste of time.

At that point you are mining thousands of ore a minute, it's miniscule compared to anything. A thousand chests still costs less than any end game tech.

If you aren't even using blue then you're building some pathetic mini factory.

Ideally you should have to use belts all the way through the endgame in some capacity (like bots can't carry certain things that are, say, too large) but that would just piss people off who want to make those silly boring-as-shit, perfectly-optimized, bots-only factories.

Maybe instead of being unable to carry, they should just have a different movement speed, or severely increased power consumption, where carrying a large amount of them just requires so much power it becomes wasteful even with nuclear. But it's not very Factorio-esque to have such non-straightforward mechanics.

increasing the amount of power bots use will do nothing. they have to increase the amount of UPS they use to force people back into belts.

Solar/Nuclear being so overpowered is a problem on its own. It makes both bots overpowered and endless laser turret spam overpowered. And laser turrets are boring compared to bullets/flamethrowers the same way bots are boring compared to belts/trains.

How to do a fully beaconed blue belt smelting with .16's shitty compression:

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

So long as it's exponential drain, the big factories couldn't operate on bots. I don't think autists would use them if they needed nuclear the size of the rest of the factory to run their 6 gorillion bots. Maybe transmission power for maintaining the network could be exponential, calculated by number of active bots above a threshold.

That doesn't make sense. The game is supposed to be realistic, no one will accept obviously artificial bullshit.

I think they prioritize game mechanics over realism. Besides, it's not like you couldn't make up a realistic reasoning for it. The more bots you have flying around, the more wireless connections must be maintained and more complicated wireless networks must exist, and their pathing calculations become more and more complicated when there are hundreds of them delivering something into the same 1x1m spot.

Reasonable abstraction for the purpose of gameplay
Because the only way to get power is by steam first. Making them coal powered would be a suitable change for a mod.
It's not that unreasonable to assume that there's waste in the normal process and that a more time-intensive and energy-intensive process can waste less input. It does get a little ridiculous eventually as you stack multiple productivity-bonused processes, granted.

You actually can't. Pathing calculations a simple for an AI that can communicate its state to other AIs, the energy is going into actually moving mass in flight.

Plus, if you did this people would just start making separate networks. 100 bots is already enough to run a medium-sized factory (capable of winning the game) once you optimize your layouts and have speed/capacity tech. Instead of a megabase with 20k bots you'd have 20 small bases with 100 bots build from the same blueprint.

Ugly tbh. Why would you even want your smelting next to your miners? You'd just have to move it every time you ran out. Being a bit shorter is nice but there's plenty of room.

BTW you should only need 13 furnaces, not 14. Technically its actually around 12.5, I could probably delete some edge beacons from my design.

Plates stack to 100 so a stack of smelted ore becomes 0.6 stack of plates, saving some train space. Circuits too for that matter, where there's copper+iron patches next to each other, since a stack of 200 circuits takes less space than the 3+ stacks of ore it takes to make them (5 if you don't use prod mods).

Yeah, but I moved a long ass way from the spawn point to where the patches are 500+ million, so it wont happen too often. And even then, you'd have to tear the mine down too, and you're likely doing it with construction bots if you're that far into the game anyway.

That's half the point. You just bolt it onto the end of your mine blueprint and don't have to manually connect it with belts to the mine.

Yeah. I think I originally meant to put 15 to completely consume a belt and spit out 1,2 and then just forgot to add the last one.

They will if it's convenient.

Yeah, makes perfect sense if you are taking it to a 500M field somewhere. My bases are usually mining from a dozen different mining sites at once, with some mining sites not even producing a full blue, so it's simpler to just have a bunch of big 8+ wagon trains routed to a central smelting area. How well things stack in trains becomes quickly irrelevant if you just make really big trains.

SEND HELP

How feature complete is this game?

It looks exactly like the kind of game I can sink over a hundred very satisfying hours into, but I don't want to pop the cork until it's basically ready.

I hate it when I play an awesome game for the first time only to find out that lots of additional content is planned, since revisiting the game with the new content is never going to be as fresh as when you first play it.

If I need to wait, how long for do you think?

I think the only thing still planned is gui rework and bugfixing.

I don't think you need to wait. For one, I don't think there will be too much additional content coming, but more importantly, even when we do get more content, it's usually not too intrusive. The biggest recent change was the addition of nuclear power, which still didn't invalidate other approaches. Either way, you'll probably find yourself regularly adding and removing way more content through mods.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I should get stuck in asap.

Most additional content is going to come from mods. Devs have stated that they want to turn 0.16 into 1.0, which means probably not much being added.

The only current big change that might happen is that Devs seem to be wanting to make a major bot nerf and/or belt buff. Also belt compression (getting resources placed together for maximum throughput) sucks ass now due to how they optimized the belts to cause less lag, but that looks like it's going to be fixed fairly quickly.

They want to fix sideloading compression afaik, not underground belt magic. I can't really that's been a huge loss though, the worst part was having to redesign lane balancers.

It's a huge problem for beginners. Half the fun of Factorio is figuring out ratios to properly take a full belt of something in or put a full belt out. Compression shouldn't require elaborate workarounds.

I would say half the fun is figuring out how to build it, and finding a way to jam the belts full of product is part of that. A pretty small part, too, unless you're working in an 8-8 beacon row. Even then I don't think it's a bad thing that a clever setup gets slightly better results.

Whats the timeframe on all that happening and 1.0 being ready?

No idea. There may be a .17 or more before 1.0 (version advances whenever they make an update that breaks current savegames, current map gen is buggy and will probably be .17).

Basically they want to smooth out all the edges rather than add new features at this point. The only potential major change on the table is the bot nerf/belt buff, but the community (i.e. carebears who cry at not being able to use bots for everything) is pushing back hard on the former and the latter doesn't seem to have any good ideas beyond downloading a mod with loaders/faster belts.

Any one of you got the science pack infographic that used to get passed around?

I think it might be outdated with the change in recipes.
That said I aim for 1 per second of every pack and can't get enough fucking copper into my base for all these fucking circuits so my problems are supply rather than layout or ratios.

Thanks. What are the min specs also? I have quite an old pc…

There's a demo if you want to try.

Supreme autism, well done

I got this yesterday and am fucking hooked. I have an issue though where some of the info text for certain buildings, including power output and other stats, is hidden behind the gui in the bottom right that shows me my weapon and ammo count. How do I scroll or otherwise orient the text to see everything I need to?

Took a screenshot of what I mean - see the bottom right.

You should probably send that to the devs; it's an issue that needs to be addressed. I've never noticed it before.

That said, the power output for an individual machine doesn't really matter; it's all connected, and individual machines won't vary in output. If you click on a power pole you can get stats for the entire electrical network. That's more useful.

I can't remember if there was ever a UI scaling option in the settings but if there is make it smaller.

There was a UI scaling option in 0.15, I sit quite far from my screens so I always bump it up when I can.

Feels sort of anti climactic, no? All that research and effort just for a fire ripple.

It's visually underwhelming, but it did completely destroy that entire giant biter base with one shot. No other weapon in the game comes close.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm absolutely blown away by how much depth this game has and how smoothly it runs. God damn it's awesome.

Are you just playing the campaign or are you in free play now?

For the next server, do we really want full angel's and bob's?
AAI will be in, all the mods from the last run, that rail laying mod, probably vehicle modules if they're not included in other mods. I might include Aircraft and additional weapon packs if I can find any.

Why not full A+B?

Post the full most list on pastebin and I'll see what I have that would fit in well.

I haven't started putting it together, but the idea is

Stuff I have that you may want to look into:

Also, I've never been too hot on AAI's stuff. Programmable vehicles deviate too much from what Factorio is "supposed" to be about, and too much of it is overpowered/not fitting in terms of looks. But this is just my opinion and I'll still play if its on.

I intentionally did not add it, all the dots covering the base are ugly and bottlenecks are really easy to find the vast majority of the time.
Squeak Through was included, I just forgot to write it up.
I'll check the rest, again don't want to go ridiculously overboard, especially in anything that might put extra strain on the server.

I won't be adding all the ugly shit, only to control base game vehicles, or at least that's the plan.

There's a hotkey to toggle it on and off. Default is Shift+ALT+L I believe.

There's apparently a mod that improves the explosion with a proper mushroom cloud.

The problem is more one of scale. Not even the tiniest tactical nuke (smallest possible amount of uranium that can actually undergo fission is about the equivalent of 10 tons of TNT, or 0.01Kt) is so small. You recall the series of explosions in that Chinese port several years back? The largest was about equivalent to 20 tons (according to seismic data, which is the most accurate). Forget a few biter nests, something that size would level your entire mega-factory.

It depends a lot on what you think the scale is, but Factorio's nuke is pretty reasonable. Davy Crockett was designed to shoot at and take out individual tanks, it would not level an entire factory unless you think an entire factory in Factorio represents an area equivalent to a single large real-world warehouse or something.

having fun is a meme sold to normalfags who can't understand or achieve the transcendent satisfaction of fulfilling their autistic destiny.

I don't know where you get your information, but from but it was for decimating large amounts of troops and entire armor battalions, and producing a days-long area-denial effect from the radiation. It was estimated to be able to destroy about two city blocks, and the initial blast of radiation producing a fatal dose to anyone within a quarter mile. Using this to destroy a single tank would be like using a grenade to kill a fly.

For comparison, you've probably heard of the MOAB, probably seen some videos of it being used? It has an approximate TNT equivalent of 11 tons. So about the same. You're off by a level of magnitude or two.

NEW SERVER INFO

Mods:
mega.nz/#!MkQxUDoR!O4aTCO1SPYmoFnNINtpAmI9XVoii3aLx92l9TfgAliU

>FARL - see mods.factorio.com/mods/Choumiko/FARL
>Picker Extended - see mods.factorio.com/mods/Nexela/PickerExtended, includes signs/notes

Tech 2x, recipes 1x
Version 0.16.16 (latest)
Piratefags can connect
Server browser: 8/v/
IP: fagtorio.dynu.net:3400
password: vidya

Map settings all normal except for very low, big water. Evolution time factor 0, pollution/nest kill increased by about 15%. 2x biter expansion rate. Infinite ores enabled outside of spawn. Will be changing settings as we go if it turns out it's too easy/hard, haven't played with Rampant before.

I started playing one Friday, and ended up playing to 5 am on Monday.
Luckily I am a NEET, so all I had to do was get some food before playan some more.

In real war tanks do not congregate next to each other, so yes it's basically a gun for taking out individual tanks. It would be even less worthwhile against infantry. Against hardened targets you have to land within like 30 feet to score a kill, and without an airburst even basic trenches are a highly effective protection.

For Factorio as I said it depends a lot on what you think the scale is. If 1 tile = 1 foot, it's way too small. If 1 tile = 50 feet, it's way too big. Even though the game theoretically has a scale in between this there's lots of other scale weirdness like how shooting range is so small or "buildings" occupy a volume only 4x that of a human.

Someone's getting mod mismatches on the server, post what you're having a problem with because I had to mess with RSO and I might not have restored it properly

Apparently worked out, nevermind

Here's the MP base as I left it. Smelting is well online and we can consume roughly a yellow belt of iron ore. Next up is throwing down a main bus, getting some blue science, and finding more saphirite ore.

This. The devs might be exactly as autistic as the players are, because the burner inserters are basically exactly the right speed to run with boilers, even the warm up phase.

They were designed for airbursts (even had a handy dial to adjust the burst height), for one thing, and you just REFUSE TO UNDERSTAND how fucking powerful 20 fucking tons of TNT equivalent is.

You seem to not understand that the power of a weapon in 3D space dissipates cubicly.

So I just started playing this. Is the campaign worth shit? Because right now I'm getting really frustrated with this "prebuilt factory" setup they keep giving me.

It's a testament of a good game when you dream about it and can't stop thinking about it and different strategies while not able to play.

Not really, it's a glorified tutorial. Freeplay is where it's at.

Sounds great. Also is there any music? I've heard like snippets that last for 4 seconds here and there, but by and large it's been silence.

It teaches a few tricks in the early base-building missions, but the last two IIRC are kind of shit and a waste of time.

Fucking Burma Road here trying to get copper into my main base.

Holla Forums cannot play a video game without atleast 20 mods installed.

i'm downloading now, is this still up?

i got in but i can't even figure out how to build a stone brick for a wall with bob/angels so i'll just wait until someone else gets on

Is that bad?

Crushed stone->stone->smelt into bricks

Yeah because if you had inadvertedly created an extremely OP game element, the ballancing solution is making everything else extremely OP as well, not nerfing the OP shit.

Bots are retarded because you can offset all of their shortcomings by building more of them, essentially reducing the entire challenge of managing the bots into grindfest for raw resources to make bots with. Perfect solution would be making it so that only one bot can access a chest at a time, just like a charging station. This way you can't simply build more bots to increase throughput, and in particularly high throughput areas you'd need to use belts because bots simply won't cut it. That'll restrict bots to their original intended purpose of low volume short range transport.

You seem to just want to be a contrarian bitch who got BTFOed about the yield of a tactical nuclear bomb being wasted on a single tank being borne out as historically and logically false.

That nest to the north and the other one by the oil spots will probably give you some trouble. Better clear those out before they evolve medium biters; you'll need the extra oil soon anyway. Will probably have to turret-creep and spam grenades or poison capsules. Nests that size are a royal pain until you can kite them with power armor speed-upgrades.

Oh shit. How many turrets do I need to deal with that shit?

Three, with normal bullets, if you can align them head-on to their attack vector.

Now I'm glad I set up those little supplementary ammo factories and belts to feed the turrets.

WW2 era tanks could survive 500 lbs airdrop bombs exploding right next to them. Against modern tanks, a "tactical nuke"s effective range would be 100 yards or thereabouts, because yes for doubling the radius you get â…› the shockwave pressure - which is why grenades include fragment elements in them and don't just rely on explosion alone, which does fuckall past 3 yards. Not that anyone uses those against tanks, or buildings, or infantry, or at fucking all.

Not really a good game, but a good concept.
Last time this happened for me was with KSP, and that game is objectively shit.

the problem with burner inserters is they'll only reliably pick up from yellow belts. its' entirely possible for the burner itself to run out of coal before it's able to pick up another one from red or higher.

So here's how you can easily handle sparsely-needed items on a belt. Just have the central belt set to "read" and the feeding belts set on "enabled if * (everything) = 0".

Of course you can have use the other side of the belt as well and it's easy to scale as many lanes as you want, average throughput just goes down. Good for barrels (especially in mods that add lots of liquids) since you generally don't need the 666 fluid per second that a simple yellow belt of barrels holds, and the return lane can double as an empty barrel return. If you need a certain fluid at a higher amount, just give it more lanes.

So I read that some biters can attack through walls. Does double walling work or am I wasting stone?

Some biters (big ones) have a 2-range attack that can hit through walls.

There are also spitters who spit right over them and range one less than the laser turrets IIRC.

It works, but in general they wont penetrate a single wall in the first place if you put enough turrets. Add some flame turrets and even behemoths can't do shit.

Well it's easy to compress yellow/red, just make all of the initial belts one speed higher and your main bus of liquid will be compressed.

Blue requires making a duplicate line and running both through a splitter to combine them. Kind of a PITA, the example was to show off how easy it was to do since normally you only need like 50/s for lots of fluids rather than the full 2000/s that a fully compressed blue provides.

Just saw this…am playing freeplay with default settings. Am researching the final tech to launch a satellite. I'm blown away by this game, 25 hours gone in a flash.

My base is surrounded by biter outposts but I have rock solid laser defence. Not sure what all the issues people having are with power, have a huge boiler / steam reactor set up and enormous fields of solar / accumulators.

This game is like an even more autistic spacechem, I love it.

So what do you typically do on these maps, build a shitter factory base and research what you can before finding The Perfect Spotâ„¢ and then moving all your shit over there while shooting biters on the way?

no you build a monster factory and keep building more and more until your ups go so far down you can't play it anymore.

You can use single width wall, just pad it 1 tile off anything of value. Double walling IS wasting stone, provided enemy can't destroy any of it between repairs. If they can, then it it's a good investment.

All spitters can be attacked from a normal gun turret. Lasers have greater range but in practice that means that if you've fucked up turret alignment, two corner turrets will be able to engage, as opposed to just one.

What are you, a hippie? Real colonists use coal for power, uranium for gun ammo and oil for flamethrower fuel.

Your friendly reminder that 90-degree corners is doing it wrong and introducing serious weak-points into your perimeter defense. Blue areas are those covered by only a single turret.

It isn't always the case that your turrets are lined up at 90 degree angle to the direction from which biters are coming from. Sometimes they're coming at oblique angle, i.e. you've fucked up turret alignment. In this scenario they'll be attacking a single turret on the edge of the fortification. Unless you have no edge and just span the whole thing in all directions as a solid wall of guns and concrete, but that's nigger tier.

You mean solid fuel for power.

Not bad, not bad. Post a pic of your map.

I spread like a cancer across the world, gobbling up resources radially outward and importing them back to the core factory until the Kessler syndrome prevents any further development on the planet.

Spitters still have a range greater than normal gun turrets. Their AI simply doesn't attack until fired upon. This can be abused with laser turrets, where you put belts pushing them away from the turret so they can't fire.

And in any case, having more turrets firing always helps. When a half dozen behemoths and the rest of the gang come, you want lasers.

Land mines are incredibly effective but costly. They don't set each other off and have a huge blast radius, they're just a bitch to lay.

Create a dummy field, and use construction robots to lay them down.

No, you want uranium ammo. 240 DPS base damage + turret upgrades + ammo upgrades. Before you even get to infinite upgrades, it only takes 2 seconds for a single uranium ammo turret to take out a behemoth biter. Flamethrowers also help. Laser turrets are for faggots.

You use bots to lay them, duh.

I dunno, it had never happened to me that spitters would attack out of gun range.

I've looked it up. Greatest spitter range is 16, gun turret range is 17. That would explain it.

For the server, you'll usually run into others around 900-1800GMT0, especially the euro evening

How do I do that?

They improved performance in .16, it really shouldn't be lagging. You can get ~5fps drops from 60 sometimes, but otherwise I haven't seen any problems.

>>>/reddit/

fucking dropped and made a new world, never again, holy shit

Ayy they changed the alert alarm to be silent quiet too I had no idea I was getting attacked until I random walked over to the turrets and they were half destroyed and out of ammo.

gay

If you have a really obscure combination of hardware you might be able to solve it by minimizing and restoring.

Jesus I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I feel like the only way I can keep things moving is with airport luggage conveyor loops.

did i make you guys proud?

I can tell you right off the bat that you should build stuff in a way so that you can expand anytime with no restructuring required
Also, don't be afraid to use lots of space, since this makes your stuff easier to identify at a glance and avoids spaghetti

Ah this fucking stupid campaign map is tiny.

Oh, whoops
I'm afraid the campaign does more harm than good, since it teaches players to build tightly instead of building a future oriented factory

Don't use those loops, there is no point whatsoever. Just have a single belt that ends at the fourth assembler.

Don't be critical of my factory user! I just went into the game completely blind and did whatever made the most sense. If I replayed the game from scratch it would be much more efficient I'm sure, but the magic would be lost.

The beauty of this game is peeling back its secrets as you go along and cobbling together something that just about works. You can see so much in this factory is poorly optimised because it was built in the first few hours but I never had time to redo it since I had pressing matters elsewhere. Not sure if I could replay from scratch due to the magic missing.

I never got into trains or drones or signals (too much of a brainlet), barely started doing anything with centrifuges yet I'm on the cusp of completing researching the rocket / satellite final tech.

That's what I love about the game, is the cobbled together nature. You have to get materials from A to B, but there's a massive spaghetti of shit in the way? Well, find a way to make it just about work!

Loads of stuff in my factory is automated, but a lot needs supervision or manual intervention and it's pretty obvious I guess that this is a noobs first try but I love that factory. Some of the "mega projects" I did, in the order I did them, would be:

1. a massive wall of gun turrets around my "original" base perimeter fed by a giant conveyor belt continuously stocked with magazines
2. 2nd oil pipeline from top left, involving sustained battles with aliens by creeping with turrets
3. 2nd copper ore mining facility to facilitate solar and Blue chip mass production
4. Solar / accumulator network (ongoing)
5. 2nd steel ore mining operations with fast belts carrying material into base, with full encasing of "new" area under laser turret defense

This is just 5 of like 20 things, and I'm sure everyone had a similar kind of experience. Making your own base this complex totally from scratch. It's just an awesome experience.

I wasn`t, I think it blends well with the terrain you were given

Ahh, well that's probably 20% by design and a shitload of blind chance!

Try lowering the graphics settings. The game can take up a lot more memory now that they added lots of higher quality assets.

You're an idiot. Biters don't charge through turret lines, they destroy them first. Do you even play this game? Doesn't look like it. As soon as they blow up that one turret at the corner, they'll just go down the sides. I've seen this happen in bases with corners, but 45-degree angles are demonstrably more secure.

Biter AI is pretty stupid, but depending on where they are coming from, they won't always attack the same place unless there are natural features funneling them in. If there is any weak point in the perimeter, eventually it'll get hit. If there is anywhere covered by only a single turret, eventually a spitter will stand in that place and blow up that turret, and then you have problems.

Why

Beats having the corner turret damaged every two minutes

You're supposed to push your turret line out past your pollution cloud. That way spawners aren't getting pollution to spawn shit, only the expansion groups come your way.

Press M to open the map then scroll out or use wasd until all of your buildings are on screen then press the screenshot button on your computer. Then use ctrl+v to paste the screenshot into the reply box here.
Hopefully that's enough instructions.

cracks me up every time I see it.

So what you're saying is it'll be easier for them to get through a wall on subsequent waves if they hit it perpendicular because there will be more space between turrets at that point. Unless you're saying that they'll go through your entire base to get every last turret before attacking your machines, the only thing that matters is density of turrets.
I think this is where I post something like
Anyway, I haven't tried many mods myself but I hear there are some that change the biter AI a bit. Any idea if there are good ones?

I ended up taking a screenshot of my entire base, not the map. See>>14201933

Did you spaghetti all over your ore?
I'm partly impressed by going straight from miner into furnace and partly disgusted by you having non-miners placed on your ore. Seems pretty efficient considering they usually work at the same speed but when it starts to run dry you'll have to shift everything over a few tiles half way which is needless labour. Bots would make that a bit easier but having to do it at all just seems terrible.
Have you ever used a single train?

Holy shit, what the fuck is up with Pyanodons mods? I watched a guy stream with the standard set of mods and all the pY mods. He wanted to fucking kill himself, 20 hours in and he just started setting up large-scale science production. That mod is pure masochism, and probably shouldn't be combined with other major mods like Bob's or Angels.

The first iron ore patches I placed some non-miner stuff on there because I was basically just plugging shit in on the fly since it was a totally blind playthrough so at that point I was just seeing what worked. I was mindful to try and keep it to a minimum.

Finally beat the game, but came in at 28 hours. Not sure I'll play again though, like I said the "magic" is gone. If I did play again I'd kind of want no biters on the map. It was an added hassle I could do without.

Missed your train question. No trains, drones or signals.

At some point, your focus goes from figuring out how to connect shit together, to optimization and scaling. Even if you think you aren't into those kinds of problemsolving, the game will still subtly drag you into that mindset. And if you're still not satisfied and want to live in a bowl of conveyor spaghetti, install a buch of content mods and enjoy production chains which are often like 5 times longer tham vanilla.

Yeah, I guess you're right but it seems like too much of a diminished return for me. What other games are out there with a similar level of depth and gameplay style?

None. It's a one-of-a-kind so far. Autismcraft with a shitton of tech mods can provide something remotely similar, but it will never reach the sheer scale that Factorio provides, simply due to its 3D first-person nature. Games like factorio really can only work in a 2D setting.

Setting forests on fucking fire when?

When you research the flame thrower.

Wait that's actually a thing? You can really burn them the fuck down with the flamethrower?

Any weapon you have also works on trees. Might need to manually target them, there's a key for that, iirc it's E.

Yeah. handheld or turret flamethrower will light them up. Tank flamethrower wont for some reason.

Tank flamethrower won't cause fire to spread but it does outright destroy them instantly, meaning you can very easily pave a decently wide path through a forest.

Finally broke through the woods. I feel like I'm starting to get a better handle on the whole "build for future expansion" concept.

Although I just realized one of those iron mines is picking up coal too.

Avoid mining from inbetween resources until you have filter inserters

Speaking of, is there a mod that burns forests down completely instead of leaving a shitload of burnt trunks? What is even the point of using fire to clear forests if you have yo finish the job manually/using bots (in which case you might as well do the whole thing with bots)?

Do you realize that forest fires don't just leave behind ash wastes in real life, right?
Those burnt husks are ==REALISM==

It ain't fun.

Have you even had a spawn so shit the even the minuscule coal patch just frowns?

Ever hard a spawn so shit that you literally have no choice but to restart?.

Miners actually gather resources from the space they're on, and a square one tile in every direction surrounding them. You can maximize efficiency by spreading them two tiles apart (though this lowers throughput, so it's a trade-off). Also, if you hover over a built miner, it will tell you what's under it so you can see what ores it will produce.

As the other guy said, you don't want to EVER mix more than one resource on the same side of a belt. Even with filter inserters, it just bad.

that's not the real problem with deathworld. you'll get the hang of it eventually, the real problem with deathworld is that biters eat up so much UPS that by the time you're finally saying "Yes! I will genocide all of these biters! This world is mine!" the sheer amount of spawners on in combination with your pollution cloud and the time it takes to clear out those spawners means your ups is going to tank around mid-game and it's going to be unplayable.

What the hell is UPS?

Updates per second. Measures the game's internal speed, less then 60 means the game has to run slower (as opposed to FPS, where the game runs at normal speed and you see fewer frames).

Basically if your computer could theoretically handle 10k objects at 60 UPS, and you build 20k, you'd (probably) run at 30 UPS and therefore your double factory size only runs at half rate.

Ah got it, thanks. I beat the game but appreciate that the base needed to do that is a minnow compared to the kind of monster base that could be made.

On another note, whoever programmed / optimised this game is a fucking genius. I played it on a toaster laptop and it ran smooth as butter. Very impressive.

The developers are quite dedicated. Every release of Friday Factorio Facts is a joy to read, and the patch notes are very thorough. They understand just how important performance is in a game that can potentially hold hundreds of thousands of dynamic objects.

Nice. Just reading about infinite research, which I wasn't aware of. What technologies can you research "infinitely"?

Most of the stuff in the bonuses tab is infinite. However they use differing pricing formula, IIRC the only one that is practically infinite is miner productivity (which goes up linearly) since everything else goes up exponentially which makes them hard limited in practice.

Number of combat robots you can have deployed, mining productivity, worker robot speed and all kinds of damage bonuses. Artillery rate of fire is supposed to be infinite too but the bonus itself is capped at 3 levels.

Which kind of exponentially are we talking here? y=e^x or y=ln(x) ?

Most just double, one of the artillery ones is (1+n^3)*1000.

Well this shit took longer than I ever imagined it would. You need so much fucking iron to get blue science.

Not as much as you used to, but yeah, you need to get past the hump of setting up oil. It's really compounded by the fact that you usually start running out of green/red research options if you're doing 0.75 science per sec.

You can repair damaged walls, but you can't do anything about uggo walls.

It doesn't clear the forest, just leaves burnt husks.

Resources always run out when I barely reached green science. How do you guys relocate efficiently?

Is there a way I can download the patches without buying the game?

You don't relocate, you just bring resources in from farther away. Ones just outside the base walls you can deal with belts, the more distant ones you'll need to build outposts and use trains.

Rampant and Rampant blockable projectiles have been disabled on the server for now, as they were (probably) the mods causing desync

I'm not too happy that the logistics network is basically worthless shit until you research Active Requester chests. Seems to be way too much research distance between when you get logistics robots and when you can actually use them for any purpose beyond player trash slots.

There wouldn't be much point to everything else in the game if you could get requester chests mid-game. They allow you to deliver any amount of anything over any distance only at the cost of power, which is already easy enough to produce. Bobs/angels does change them to midgame, because those mods are ten times the clusterfuck even if you have logistics bots.

Sadly even B/A becomes completely trivial with bots since they pretty much scale perfectly and infinitely.

Is there a reason why we don't have buildings in this game?

What? Don't you trust the superior human engineering to withstand fleeble alien environment conditions? Are you a Xenophile?

Yeah but I mean, don't just cocktease me with worthless logistics robots in the first place. If they're not useful until tier 6 or whatever, just lock them behind it completely and let me use construction robots at tier 3.

That's the reason repair bots exist, my dude.

That only works if you live in a forest-dense area with moderate production scale. My desert planet has my solid red pollution span well beyond discovered area.

Or any splitters, they can now filter their outputs.

Rocket silo is a building, oil refinery is a building too.

You don't have any water either?

Shoulda regenned the map.

Logistics resupply and trash is still nice. They should probably be tier 4 or 5 though rather than unlocked with construction bots.

I just wish that we had this game combine with rim world or sim city 4.

You can put down floors and build walls, right?

Repair bots don't help when you're not at that tech level yet. Frankly, at the point in the game where you have them, you can afford to put in double-layer laser turrets right next to each other. This is more for in the beginning and mid-game when every little bit of resources counts, and you're doing all repairing/replacing by hand.

Pic very, very related.

How do I make a factory that isn't pure spaghetti

Would anyone care to provide a download for the latest (latest) version? I got left behind at 16.12

MAIN BUS

The northern part of my map is starting to look pretty comfy. I'm thinking I'll secure the north east quadrant between the four lakes and leave the south west desert as a no-go zone until I have artillery or something to start thinning out that red.

Also in the middle of tearing down and re-building like half my base with new smelter patterns from google.

Anyone kind enough to share a linux torrent becuase they've started blocking torrent sites in China?

dont most people in china just use a VPN? I know the commies are trying to crack down on that stuff but still.

It's too expensive now. Plus, the new penalty is ten years in prison minimum AFAIK.
I've heard rumors they've just started blocking VPN traffic by sniffing the packets but those are still rumors

I'm not sure they respawn right where they were but I do know they spread by sending a bunch of biters to stand in one spot for a while. They don't build bases too close to your built structures so a victory pole (electric pole) does well enough.

They changed it a while back to be probabilistic based on the number of structures. A single pole wont cut it anymore.

I'm guessing I've stretched a single belt of iron plates too far and now I need a totally new belt of iron plates from a totally new iron mine + smelting facility. Meanwhile I somehow need to find five other totally independent ore mines and smelter complexes to get one belt of steel bars.

Might want to use large size for ore patches on future maps, although it's odd that you can't even get a single full belt from a normal size patch. Red belts use up a ton of iron though, it's better to use multiple lanes of yellow if your smelting can't support the production.

Yeah I don't know what's going on, maybe these smelter patterns are just shit because even the longer one couldn't put out solid iron when it wasn't backed up. I'm gonna scrap this map, there are Big worms spawning in all of the biter bases now and I don't have any weapons to deal with it and research is at a standstill because steel takes 10 years.

Best off just throwing down a bunch of large power poles with 3-4 laser turrets around them to hold territory.

Your two belts are almost saturated with iron though so the primary solution is to add more belts. The layout isn't bad, but you shouldn't cramp them that much if you have plenty of space to build shit in. For ratios, you can put ~24 steel/electric furnaces on a single yellow belt, so only the middle block is oversized.

Ok started playing because im lazy. How the fuck do I do fluid wagons?

Use pumps right next to the middle of the wagon, the arrow is flow direction

Ok, so the edges of the wagon dont work right?

Every position works as long as it's aligned just right, within a pixel or so.

Loading belts from the sides with other belts doesn't compress well any more. You need to run two parallel belts and merge them into one belt with a splitter.

New thread