Arcades

Here's a query: Why are American arcades so shit? I've been to several in America and most of them just have the same few games, most of which are crappy rail shooters or carbon copies of iPhone games.
Has anyone in America or Europe been to an arcade with some actually good games? The best game I found at one arcade was Metal Slug and Tempest 2000. Besides those two cabinets, American arcades have been a damn disgrace. Anyone have better luck than me? Why doesn't some well-off weeb just import some Japanese arcade cabinets with touhou or some shit on it? I'm sure it would attract a lot of people, and I would personally be willing to drive several miles just to attend an arcade like that.
At this point, one of us should just make a gofundme to build an arcade with games we'd like and serve crab legs

Other urls found in this thread:

ww
round1usa.com/location/fox-valley-mall/
archive.fo/QvTP9
archive.fo/Wl4Xz
facebook.com/fullblastarcade/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh damn…that's what they turned into?

Yeah. I went to a Dave & Busters for my nephew's birthday recently and they had tons of iPhone games and slot machine clones of all sorts. The best game I found at this particular location was Pac-man on an xboxhueg screen

I went to an arcade the other month. It was almost entirely ticket pumping machines. There was a pinball machine in the back I spent almost all my credit on. It was depressing.

Arcades are mostly shit now because public areas aren't as safe as they used to be, leaving people with less confidence in investing towards it. That's why malls in anywhere but the middle of nowhere 95% white towns get barely any business.

This thread makes me want to kill myself

Arcades are fucking money-sucks, and almost every machine is useless. You can emulate most of the games or otherwise get them for cheaper or free, and tons of the machines want a fucking dollar or more per play.
The only reason an arcade machine should exist is if it is somehow significantly better than you can get at home (DDR if you're a fucking monster at it who destroys the pads as you play, flight simulator games with rotating cockpits, decent mech games with full cockpits, decent light gun games, etc). It's a shit experience for retarded neckbeards who want to waste money and idiotic hipsters with rich parents.
There's a barcade in my city that is all pinball machines that cost $1 per play, old arcade machines like Ms. Pac Man that cost 50¢ per play, and like 2 newer machines that are like $2 per play. It is literally constantly full of horrible hipsters, all of which wear plaid scarves and have shitty beards and curly mustaches. They blast music constantly so that if you go with a friend, you have no chance of even trying to have a conversation. The shitty hipsters also don't respect anybody's personal space, and just lean on the fronts of machines that they aren't even playing and give you ugly looks when you ask them to move so you can play. I fucking hate it, and my stupid friend thinks it's the coolest place in town.
Arcades have gone the way of movie theaters. Overpriced, sticky, loud, and full of inconsiderate shitheads. With very few exceptions they offer an objectively worse experience in every way than you can get at home.

This user knows what's up. Arcades were some of the first places effected by the general destruction of public space.

Who can we attribute the "destruction of public space" to?

Do you even have to ask?

I was going to say shitskins and other foreigners who have no respect for the country they are living in. I didn't want to say that because that would make me feel unending despair at what we had lost.

Probably the internet. People don't need to go to public places for social interaction anymore, so fewer people do in general. Fewer people means less money and less attention, public property gets less funding, and things get run down.

Some "friend" you are, cunt. Also, what kind of theaters do you people go to? I almost never have any issues, and there are quite a lot of spics where I live.

No user. It's niggers. Shitskins and sandniggers have great deal more respect for other people and their property than niggers. You ever noticed how spic hoods are poor but generally OK, while nigger hoods are constantly trashed despite city's best efforts?

There's small towns in northern Texas and places like Montana that still get record attendance and retail at malls. The national averages just completely overshadows them.

You have my sympathies. One arcade I remembered going to years ago had Crazy Taxi, now the rooms look depressing because there's not as many games than before, the games they had now were ticket machines or shitty phone games (Some of which had the screen look like an iPad.) Another one I went to also had shitty phone games or ticket machines.
To be honest though, I'm not sure they'll ever take off again in America. There's these factors to consider.
Japan's pretty much the only place as far as I'm aware where arcades still flourish.

as someone who lives in new york it's only a little better compared to blaccs. Despite all the welfare money.

I can't see Arcades returning to America proper, just sort of throwback environments, barcades, set ups in retro game shops, etc. The classical american arcade won't ever come back, cannibalized by nigger and spic crime culture. They became a hotspot for drug dealing and other gang activity.

Japan really is a special place.

Huh. I always thought malls died because people would rather order things online and have them delivered to their homes.

In some parts of Asia, regardless of shit security, malls are still going strongly. When it comes to buying things, delivery is deemed less secure and most Asians have less confidence with credit cards than do Westerners. Tourism is also very high in these places, and I suppose malls are meant to contribute to this.

Nip arcade games probably don't appeal to older people who may have grew up when arcades were popular, and they would certainly be too hard for most younger "gamers" in America, so there really isn't a big enough market for quality arcades like those. The only large scale arcades I even see around have to be attached to other services like restaurants/bars/bowling alleys to exist.

People fucking love malls dude. They just hate niggers even more and ordering online even less.

Bigger problem is that they've stopped making good games. Video games in arcades used to be about groundbreaking graphics and gameplay not available even on best PCs of the time let alone consoles, now they can't match up to PS3 in terms of graphics AND gameplay, and non-video arcades are nothing but shitty ticket games anymore.

Arcades are a product of a time when home consoles and PCs were still catching up in terms of hardware. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, when the video game industry was still in its infancy, American industrialialists frequently attempted to equate video game as a counterpart to movies and television they still are today, but in different ways

Basically Arcades were once seen, in the eyes of industrialists anyways, as the video game equivalent of "Movie Theatres" Just like the movies, you went to an arcade for a superior experience to laying games at home. Likewise, home consoles were seen as the same as VHS or television.

Arcades died when consoles and PCs started catching up in the early 2000s as Moores Law began slowing down and by the 2010s we see most arcade machines are literally just PCs usually with something like a Core 2 Duo, Windows Embedded, and an older Nvidia GTX 6 series GPU. The novelty of arcades no longer exist, now arcades are essentially just regular video games that eat your quarters whenever you die.

Can arcades be saved? Probably, if arcade makers started giving a fuck again, you could have arcade cabinets with the latest Core i7 CPUs with GTX 1080 Titans in SLI rocking significantly better graphics than the average pleb would be able to get without shelling out thousands of dollars. But then there's the software-side of things as well, because game development costs have risen exponentially leading to the rise of game engines that produce graphics considered "acceptable to market" at best

I actually have an arcade nearby that does this shit. Feels good forcing my friends to play multiplayer Rhythm Tengoku. Too bad all this shit's in Japanese. Even then, there's still fucking mobile phone arcade cabs since that shit's apparently successful

Also arcades still exist in america, just not public ones. Theme parks are mainly where they flourish now because they are more controlled and have a barrier of entry so you don't have random niggers smoking weed in the photo booth.

no, I'm in a totally different part of NY from Mark, although I have celebrated his birthday with him after he asked me to come.

it really is because of the crime that permeates through them. Shopping at a mall in the 90s when I was kid was a world apart from visiting it at any point in the 2010s.

I love him, he's just got shit taste in bars, vidya (only plays Guild Wars and Dark Souls 2 and nothing else for years), and television. He's a great guy, to be honest, but goddamn, sometimes I want to just go to a quiet bar, have a beer, and have a conversation. If I wanted to drink, play arcade games, and listen to music without having a conversation with anybody, I could do that at home.

It's not just the minorities. Most of the time it's the shitty middle-class retards who don't wrangle their kids. I saw a movie with my family the other week, and there was literally a 10-year-old kid 4 seats from me doing handstands in his seat. His retarded dad pulled out his phone, and started taking pictures of his kid with the flash on, and started bitching when people told him to fucking stop. Minorities are generally worse, but even most white people don't fucking parent anymore.
People talk to each other, they text in movies, they eat and drink loudly, sometimes you're seated near somebody who farts constantly, often I'm sitting near somebody fat enough that they wheeze when they breathe. Sitting within 20 feet of 50 other people while trying to peacefully watch a movie pretty much guarantees that at least one of them is going to be disruptive and stupid.

I was just making a joke, are you serious?

this, there is one I know of too bad it's in Minnesota

Beaches are the best place to find them.

Malls these days are so full of chinese and indonesian products that I can't stomach going to them. That aside, some of the malls near me to see great attendance, granted, a portion of that attendance are niggers.

Well, why haven't you started learning yet?

I love watching Dan Bells Dead Malls series, comfy as fuck

That said, the majority of dead malls are from the "Rust Belt" places in the North Eastern United States. You have to understand that most of these malls were built in the 1960s to 1980s, when the North Eastern United states was essentially at its absolute peak in terms of economic and industrial power. The malls died after the economy took a dive, and the local scenes there all packed up and left

Malls in America are far from dead though. On the West coast Malls are booming. I happen to live near a mall that is one of the highest grossing shopping centers on Earth and has the most valuable floor space in the entire country

yeah he's a jew but he's not that bad in person

God damn if there's anything I pray for it's that an arcade opens with a taiko machine near me. Only got to play properly once when I went to japen, and the DS version just ain't as fun.

Because except for a few places across America, arcades themselves are dead. Now its just an extra section you tack onto your store to make a few extra bucks from bored patrons.

That hits close to home. I loved that game and bought the release on the wii. Didn't have the same feeling. The spelling iteration was the most fun I've had with a rail shooter though

weird. just realized i hardly play the typical genres at arcades i've been to

mostly cuz IR sucks compared to a properly calibrated light gun on a CRT screen. Might be better off getting a dreamcast, getting the japanese sega light gun and burning a japanese copy of hotd2.

I was going to post something similar. Went to Dave and Busters with some friends, thinking we'd find something to play, but we walked the entire massive building and didn't find a single game that any of us wanted to sit down and play.. and it's like you said: it's nothing but shitty mobile games ported to big screens. No fightan games. Not even any DDR machines.

Unironically, the only good arcades you can find anymore are at conventions. They've become such a rarity and they've died so much that the only people who care enough to have arcades anymore are middle aged hobbyists who pay other companies to bring arcade machines to their cons.

And that's why I was pretty much limited to the Turtles in Time machine at my local Pizza Hut from the age of 7 or so onwards

I have an arcade near me that's on a beach, that isn't as bad as most of the one's being described are. There aren't any niggers or hipsters, that I've seen when I went there. Though the games aren't fantastic, they are kinda enjoyable.

my dave and busters is worse. My friend teased me saying they had a full 8 player daytona USA cabinet and we were both stoked to go and play it. We went there during the slower hours, around lunch time on a week day and just wanted to play some daytona. 6 of the 8 cabinets had remarkably fucked up screens. They were all 16:9 plasmas with intense burn in, gigantic cracks on them, dead pixels out the ass. The two that were usable were in OK condition but far from perfect with a poorly calibrated wheel on one of them and only one in acceptable shape.

Playing a squeezed down, extra wide version of daytona USA like that was heartbreaking. Plus after you do the math the cost of a play was about 2 bucks per game on the card.

The light gun games were a mess too but man, that experienced burned my ass bad. I'm gonna help the same friend get VS virtual on cabinet in the future as I'd love to play the game as intended.

If I learned anything at that Dave & Busters, it's that I should see what games the arcade has before paying money for credits. Some arcades don't let you in without paying though.

They have a barcade like that in california (downtown sacramento) called Coin-Op and its pretty legit. Get beer pizza and play the old arcade cabinets. Since its sacramento there are a fuck-ton of hipsters but they stay off the good machines.

Went to a Main Event sometime last year with a friend for his birthday; similar case of their "arcade" comprising of mobile ports, some of which just lazily projected on the wall, and ticket/prize dispensing games. Also I think a single sit-down shooter cabinet. Closest thing left to an actual arcade at this point that I know of is a cheap theater on the other side of town, and even that's pretty damn small. I do recall them having the likes of MK4 and Ghost Squad cabinets though.

On a related note, one of the game stores a few towns over seems to make most of its money off of running a "console arcade" in the back, where for (I think) $5 an hour you can play any game in the store on their systems, and occasionally host tournaments. Weekends they're open really late and on the rare occasion I've been there on a Friday or Saturday night, there's been a lot of noise from the back room, so it seems like there's still a niche for that sort of thing, even if it's switched from actual arcade cabinets and rental stores to that.

It is very cheap to pirate an arcade apk/clone file of one of those ios games.
It costs a shitload to buy a real fucking arcade machine with hardware specifically for it

You really gotta look for good arcades, they're there though. I have one arcade that has a bunch of great machines, power stone, Jojo, Monkey Ball, I lost my shit because they had F-Zero AX for a good while and they rotate it in and out every once in a while.
Do Dave & Busters differ? Mine is full of mobile shit games but they do have Mario Kart GP and Pac Man Vs. which is somewhat fun.

You can just emulate the original on Dolphin Triforce branch, or get the latest here;
>>>/1cc/4416

What about acade excusives today? I've yet to see a dump of this beauty. and we only got Daytona because some (now likely former) sega employee fucked up. I really want to play them, and don't feel like that this'll be the only chance I get.

the D&B near me had a similar Daytona Setup. I don't remember the condition it was in though, because I only got to play it once until it sadly disappeared on my next visit

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND

I don't know if that's a good thing that arcades are (barely) still alive or that "hipster" cuck ass goobers prob think themselves too "intelligent" to play them

It's been a while since I went to D&B but I remember the last new thing they "had" was Guitar Hero

I envy you, user.
I think so. The one I went to did have Pac Man VS but I had no friends to play with and no strangers would play with me even when I asked. Mine had this shitty Rock 'Em Sock 'Em fighters thing which barely even worked and broke down after a single play.

Walking into a symphony of 80's arcade machines is one of my favorite memories as a small child. The arcades in my area, as a teen, always got corrupted by the drug dealers who in turn brought only a certain type of people around so that it wasn't the best place to be. Occasionally, you would find a Bubble Bobble in a corner store and you would get a peach slurpee and go to bliss town for an afternoon.

Might also add that by the time I started getting into video games more, arcades, in particular ones focusing on gameplay rather than being ticket booths, were mostly a thing of the past already where I live. Do remember playing some water ski racing cabinet with my dad over at an Eatza Pizza when I was young though. Been forever since they closed down.

Here in the Huelands, most arcades have 8 linked Daytona cabinets now but everything else is a bootleg, a multi-game emulator crap or a literal PS3 coin-op with a timer. There used to be a genuine Tekken 5 cabinet with the cards and everything but it's gone now.

The best arcade i could find is miles away from where i live, in another city. It was like finding an oasis on a desert. It had pinballs that didn't give me an error every 10 seconds, Time Crisis 4, all the good shit. It makes me wish that i was born in Nippon.

America is a completely different culture than other countries. The foot traffic is non-existent outside of the ultra-dense metropolitan areas, and even there I don't think it's the same. Americans drive their cars from point A to point B, they don't stop in between unless it's for fast food. You want to know why arcades here are shit? It's because they're virtually extinct, and the ones you can still find only have worn and aged cabinets from when the industry was booming 20+ years ago.

It's worth noting that copyright is another reason arcades are dead. It's extremely difficult to keep a commercial venture afloat on the revenue earned from what patrons are willing to pay per play, and piracy isn't an option in the litigious United States. Any copyright lawsuit, regardless of merit, would end your business instantly. If that weren't a factor, you could run some cabinets with general purpose hardware and emulate almost anything on rotation to help attract customers like third worlders do.

Third-worlders run MAME cabinets in their arcades because their citizens can't afford their own PCs. What kind of mental midget would go pay money to an arcade to play emulated games?

And this is why arcades are dead.

Cart before the horse.

With the new business models that games like that use, arcades deserve to die (and that's probably part of the reason why they're having trouble in Japan too.)

I'd say it depends on both the type of town layout and climate. Where my dad and Grandma, live (two separate towns, I might say), the weather tends to be fairly cool in both areas year round and there's some stuff in feasible walking distance without needing to necessarily drive. Where I live though, there's so much fucking housing everywhere (and they keep building more apartments everywhere they can) that the space from home to anywhere of interest gets to be more than a mile or two, and it's hot as shit most of the year which makes air conditioned car travel that much more appealing.

Your point being? Arcades have lost their novelty. They need to come up with new gimmicks to draw people in if they want to save themselves. Its also a chicken and egg problem, because companies don;t see big prospects in diving into a stable and even declining market, all the arcade money is moving to microtransactions in the PC and mobile spaces

I think the biggest problem isn't that PC or emulation is killing arcades, it's just that, as anons before me have said, safety isn't the same, and neither is convenience. To get anywhere these days you need a car. You'd be lucky if an arcade is within walking distance, which is one of the biggest reasons most arcades don't have any draw. There are, of course, arcades in metropolitan areas, but those are usually the ticket ones which have slot machines, iphone games, etc. I am not saying the convenience of PC's and emulation isn't a factor, it's just that it's much less of a factor than other things.

He's not exactly too far off, user.

This was only ever really true for the western to midwestern United States. If you look at the history of these areas, you'll find that they were built during the peak of the city planning movements of the early 20th century. And automobile companies wanted to jump right on it. Los Angeles, California for example, is the second largest metropolitan area in the United States by population, but is by far the largest in terms of size. The city is vary far and in-between, and the entire history of the cities development explains exactly why this is. Automobile companies HEAVILY lobbied city planners to make cities more accessible to cars during a time when the automotive industry was still in its infancy. The Pacific Electric Railroad is a perfect example of this. It was literally the largest electric railroad on the planet at its peak, but car companies bought the entire roalroad so they can shut it down, because automotive sales would ultimately prove to be more profitable and the Pacific Electric would otherwise have eaten into automotive sales.

On the east coast its mostly a different story, because cities over there were built way before cars and are more accessible to foot traffic.

Too bad that just means opening up game "arenas" where people go to play console games and shitty mmos.

Arcades in the west these days are an enthusiast hobby where people who actually give a shit have to travel like pilgrims to play old arcade games from their childhood. Any "arcade" that isn't run by someone who actually gives a shit will always put up machines for the lowest denominator because they yield the most profit. Which is why I'm going to fucking Illinois in the dead of winter to an arcade where there are actual games instead of fucking ports of fucking phone games.
I'm still angry over the reopening of a local arcade that was gutted and filled with normalfag trash.

Yeah. Among arcades, I actually found a pretty comfy one in my city- the only drawback being distance. Outrun 2, about 10 different pinball machines, metal slug, there's even a shmup. Bonus that all those machines, minus pinball are free to play. I must've lucked out.

Hey, that's where I'm from and we have a great arcade scene. I'll take pics next time I'm around one.

I just wanted to play Terminator 2 pinball, goddammit.

Never heard of this place before, but it's an hour away from me. How is it?

I was referring to the clothing and toys. Do post some pics next time you go to an arcade in Indonesia, though, I'd love to see it.

You faggots are just as uncultured as the fags in halfchan, and you claim to be better than them LOL

From the top of my head, Initial D 8, Wangan Midnight 5 (DX?), and Miemie are staples of arcades here.
Also time crisis 5. I love the arcade at Artha Gading with Groove coaster.

Pay once and play a metric-ton of arcade games on freeplay, then you can leave and eat at the diner next door and come back in again with the same receipt to keep playing. It's well worth the trip, especially if you have friends.

Now actually show us what arcade games that place has

ww w.gallopingghostarcade.com/.
>Mission Craft whatever the fuck that is
Interesting.

Mission Craft is a bootleg Starcraft shmup

I want to go to back to 1994 and visit showbiz pizza.

The last worthwhile arcade in my area was also the longest lasting because the FGC scene prior to E-sports sponsors shit kept it alive, and striving with a rotating, and ever-growing lineup of arcade machines, and events to keep people coming. When the pozzed shitheads from downtown moved in, and the owner's failing health forced him to close the chain in 2012 brought to a end a well-loved establishment. I'm happy that it was spared from witnessing the FGC's fall from grace.

That was actually pretty enjoyable, user. Thanks for the recommend.

Galloping ghost is cool, but I wouldn't exactly call it out of state trip destination material. Expect a lot of the machines to have an atrocious level of screen burn-in. Their mystara was almost entirely tinted green.

I guess that's part of the experience, though?

The last good arcade I managed to go to was Disneyquest.

Is Metal Gear Arcade any good? I haven't heard of it until now. It's like MGO but with a lightgun?

Whoops, meant for

I recommend seeing his walkthrough of Oak Hollow in its final hours, its fucking haunting

In my area, we have a nice retro style arcade with all of the old classics pre-2000, I would say, with standard 25-50 cent per play kindly enforced.

I myself worked at another D&B as a technician for the games and whatnot. Was a good job. Really arcades only exist now for the novelty of bright lights, family and beer in a public setting. In Japan things may be different, but in America there really isn't much of a market for arcades these days.

There are a ton of quality arcade/barcades in the [spoiler]commiefornia[spoiler] area and oddly enough, they're a mix of both pics. No one is EVER in the shitty meme game area and the Tekken 7/DDR/Classic Arcade/Pinball areas are always packed.

When I was a lad there was a great arcade on the local university campus. During the week they'd check IDs to make sure you were 18 (and not skipping school) but from Friday through Sunday anybody could go in. It was pretty big, at least in my memory. It was the first place I played Mortal Kombat and Primal Rage. They had a fun hovertank multiplayer game and the helicopter sim Steel Talons. They even had one of those holographic games that never took off. Good times.

Go back now faggot.

Just laugh at his ass while he questions his sins. I do the same shit to people who call image boards "chans".

Just get lost already.

There used to be multiple decent arcades in the towns were I grew up. I never had the experience people talk about in this thread of arcades being dangerous and filled with niggers. What I did experience was arcades being way too expensive for kids to actually go to. By the mid 2000s it was becoming increasingly common to pay a dollar per play. Hell, by the late '90s, I was 10, and I couldn't justify spending 50-75 cents per play. That's more money to a kid than to an adult, and was more back then due to inflation. Plus, kids are gonna die relatively quick a lot of the time, and there goes their money. There were a few games I was good at, I used to show off against strangers on the Soul Calibur machine, but most games are gonna take time to get good at, and that time will cost you many quarters. And not even at one quarter a try anymore. Even kids will learn that it's a raw deal. Kids and young teenagers should be part of the market for arcades. They can't expect to make all their money from hipsters and neckbeards who just don't give a fuck about wasting their disposable income. So all these fucking awesome arcades, places that went out of their way to look really cool even aside from the games (like one that had all sorts of bright neon lights and tried to look like the inside of a spaceship) went out of business. And I wish they were still around, but I'd also call anyone who actually dumped their money there a fool.

It's not even just kids. All the ones I used to go to shut down, but there are still a few movie theatres and stuff that have small collections of games around. So whenever I go to a movie I'm tempted to play House of the Dead or KISS Pinball, but I just can't justify spending a dollar or even two for a couple minutes of play.

Nowadays I hear about places where you can go and pay an entry fee with all the games on free play. I'd be much more interested in that, but I've never seen one in my area. If I did, I'd be going. But again, the price needs to be reasonable, because while I like the arcade atmosphere (at least the ones that used to be where I live), I can play most of these games for free at home. Even as a kid, it was hard to justify paying per play on Mortal Kombat when I already owned it on Sega. I owned so many of the arcade games that the only ones I ended up even interested in were ones with special hardware like DDR, or, and yes I'm ashamed of this now, ticket machines. Because I got to the arcade, and I was all excited, but then ultimately, what was I going to spend my money on? Spend it on Ms. Pac-Man? Great game, but honestly my dad would tell me off if he caught me playing it, because he'd say I was wasting my money since I already owned it on NES. And he wouldn't be wrong. But at least if I played that game where you hit the gators with a mallet, I could grab a shitty tiny toy and come out with something to show. Plus I can't own that game at home, and it has physical interaction that even modern VR can't match, since you're actually hitting stuff.

It's because it's only used by people who are from reddit or tumblr or some other normalfag shit. Anyone who should be here knows the proper term.

Not really an arcade, but I played some Time Crisis at a movie theater a few years ago.

Most imageboards are named *somethingchan and the term *channer has existed for ages to refer to a person who uses one of the *chan boards. It's bitching about nothing, and contributes nothing to the board.

maybe to a newfag. Yes I know why newfags think it's intuitive. But it still betrays their true identity.

fuck off newfaggot. Unlike you people here actually understand what terms apply to what.

Only to newfags. Seriously fuck off newfag.

The term *chan is not incorrect if you're referring to an imageboard named 4chan or Holla Forums or desuchan or whatever. As a badpost detector it's complete shit, like whichever moron came up with "Reddit spacing".

I agree with this user, I've heard chan and channer forever. It sounds a little gay but it's not incorrect.

Nobody said it was technically incorrect. They just said it betrays you as a newfag.

Your definition of "forever" is probably post-2011, or a lot more recent than that. It certainly didn't show up until everything was already long ruined.

I stopped by a videogame bar when I was out of town recently. Had a $5 cover charge with infinite playtime on all the old arcade machines and the newer consoles. It actually had quite a selection of arcade cabinets, then there were also stations for XBone, PS4, and Smash 4 was set up behind the actual bar. It seemed pretty nice tbh, wish it were closer to me.

Yeah, everybody knows the real term is channarian.

I thought the agreed-upon term was anonymite?

There. The term predates Reddit and co even if it's wasn't all that common. You could probably check other archives than /jp/ too, and not have to weed through all the onii-chans and Jackie Chans.

Reddit was around long before 2009. And 4chan was complaining about it before 2009. By then they were already ruining trollface and rage comics. Everyone knows 4chan started its decline in 2007 anyway. You'd know all of this is you were actually there and didn't just show up in the last two years.

American arcade's no longer have the same popularity as it once was.
That's why most arcade companies are trying their hardest to market cabinets with smart-phone games, their trying to get into the children or family market.
Appeal to people who only play their games at smartphone devices.

I have went to other arcades outside of north america when i was visiting my folks down in central america. their arcades are slightly better then the ones over in america, i remember seeing a few Japanese imports over their especially actual fighting game cabinets like street fighters 2, pump it up, metal-slug, and a few Japanese import games. Most of which are at like mall's.

In america their's like barely any tilt's that i know of that have lasted a while at mall's, except for David busters. My local movie theaters only has about a few skeet-balls, a few racing games, only one of them is initial-d but it barely functions, a guitar hero and that's it.

I kinda noticed that american arcades lack's in fighting games recently.
But when it comes to light-gun shooter's their about a ton of em. Mostly time crisis and house of the dead. Both David busters I've went too that's about a few miles from my area has a ton of light-gun and a few classic arcade games.

it's just that American arcade lack in a bit of variety. most of them are just slot-based coin shooters and ticket wheels and don't get me started on rhythm based games. those are dead by this point. only dance dance revolution anything, is the David busters at dolphin mall and a hacked cabinet at my local movie theater.

their isn't any verity when it comes to arcades anymore in america.

One of those examples is not only a tripfag, but they're using a secure trip. Not a very persuasive example.

That archive only goes back to about 2008. Plus I doubt many Redditors would hang around /jp/.

A: the tripfag was quoting someone else, and B: /jp/ was always weird like that and didn't hate all of them. A few were amusing, and few hated Hong or Remiliajam except for the sake of it.

Really though there is no debate. If you don't now the proper way to address what this site actually is then you don't deserve to post on said site. Simple as that.

Niggers, Spics, Pakis/Poo In Loos, and Jews. Pakis always tried to pick pocket you and those who worked at the arcade always gave you a fucking hard time. The Mudslimes were fucking crazy and threatened and yelled at you a lot.

The only good arcades in Canada were in the Asian malls, and they always got raided by the Ontario Provincial Police, because the malls had a lot of illegal DVD shops. Hollywood gave the police some extra "funding" to take down the DVD shops. Those were priority over police, due the Hollywood's pressure.

Back when I was still a kid, My mom would take me to these small town arcades that had some decent games, foosball and Pac man were some of the ones I remember the most, maybe try your local arcades instead of the Dave and Busters.

Dubs confirmed.

Fuck, makes me feel like opening an arcade that's more like a "gentleman's club" (not the stripper/escort type) where we serve good, fresh made food, like roast beef and stuff, fresh made with garlic and herbs. "Restaurant area" is divided from the arcade area with armed security, with a requirement to wash your hands before going in to the arcade area. Fine dining and vidya, not some Dave and Buster's bullshit.

Only open on certain hours with a strict dress code to tell the hipsters to fuck off.

Sounds like a good idea my man, I'd probably visit it once a month or so.

The only arcade, if I can even call it that, in my area is in a laundromat. I'm not even joking. Only three cabinets. Street Fighter 2, Striker 1945, and Ms. Pac-Bitch.

Tell yourself that. I do not believe the term originates from Reddit. I do believe it's a valid informal term for some imageboards, and that your screeching is a waste of time, were I into conspiracies I'd probably say it was a manufactured outrage to further divide our community, like that whole "Reddit spacing" bullshit.

Also apologies for the derail, self-reporting to get this mess cleaned up.

Would go to a laundromat often that had Wangan Midnight attached inside of it.

I'd probably have to do something about people getting drunk and playing DDR. I have a story to tell about someone I knew who did "drunk-DDRing"

Why? Just let the hipsters in.
Then we beat the shit out of them with bats. 80's style.

That would be funny if it weren't so sad.

If I was part of the mafia, I would. Unfortunately, I'm not.

There was this arcade back in the day where me and my friends would go sometimes. The shit thing about it was the people who worked there. They were always bent out of shape like they some fat stick up their asses and had pedostaches, kicking people out for no damn reason.

Arcade employees are always fucking grumpy.

No shit.

Yeah, Redditors are morons, so what else is new?

Pls no bully, it was a simple typo.

Shid

Because mobile is where all the suckers are. When arcades were 'good', we were all kids and couldn't actually own or pirate those games. And consoles hadn't caught up to arcades as far as hardware goes. All the people that like good games (not very many) are adults now, and can just own a PC and whatever consoles they want. There isn't much of a reason to pay for this shit anymore, especially if a game is difficult and it would take way more money to 1cc (it's just pay-to-win otherwise, so don't even pretend that this isn't the only goal, in most games) it than to actually buy a game.

There are good things about arcades, such as being able to play games with unique hardware that you can't imitate at home unless you own the machine, beating other people's scores, or maybe the environment itself (but you know that this would be ruined nowadays, by shitskins and shitty fucking kids). Overall, I don't miss arcades. They were basically the microtransactions of the time, and a huge waste of money. Not as bad as gambling, but still. Hell, I don't even miss good games, because they still exist. The fact that they are old doesn't change that. Just get yourself a stick or even cab if you're rich and have the space, and play at home.

Some Japanese arcades are pretty rad even today, but people still don't know what they're asking for. Japanese people can be cool. Americans are annoying and fucking lame. It's guaranteed that they would ruin everything, even if you ignore that arcades are a bad deal for the most part, and that they simply wouldn't survive nowadays. They definitely wouldn't have a big variety of games either.

Fuck, I actually want to play the Wangan and Initial D games. And F-Zero AX. Never fucking happening.

The fact that you don't know this is exactly why you should fuck off. If you spend more than 2 weeks her you should already know how to use terms properly.
What you believe doesn't matter. It's been established for a long time now what the correct phrasing is. Don't pull revisionist bullshit here.
It still is bullshit. People with half a brain don't format their posts like that and know how to brick their structure correctly. If you post in a reddit strcutre/idiotic way then expect to be called an idiot. And self reporting doesn't change the fact that you fucked up. More than 1 person here will remember this shit.

A typo would be *this** retard.

How do you feel about these user :^)

>a simple typo
Wait, can we actually do that now?
TEST

WHY WOULD YOU ADD THIS FEATURE, NOW THE NEWFAGS CAN BLEND IN

To do this

We used halfchan style spoilers in the beginning you fucking newfag. It was disabled but apparently re-enabled again. You can also change formatting rules in the options menu

Basically mods are faggots. Nothing new.

Welcome to the future.

Shame it finally got fixed. Made a good newfag detector, even if it left the site FAQ wrong.

The only sustainable shopping centers are the "power centers/city centers" where all the stores are individual stores lined up outside mixed with restaurants, gyms, and movie theaters. They're all seperate now, but in the same location/area.

There's one in Indiana where you can drive around on roads between the stores.

Vid related, go to 4:21.

If you are opening a arcade for things like super powerful PC hardware, flight sims, weird controller needed games like racing games, and virtual reality with room based control games then maybe ask steam about their internet cafe program. It is so that you get access to a bunch of games you can preload onto PC's, I wonder if they would let arcades take advantage of it?

Aren't those called "Strip Malls" or "Shopping Plazas"?

Used to have a great arcade in a mall nearby. Shut down and got replaced with a store that sells sarongs and shit years ago. I noticed a new little place opened up nearby, so I checked it out. They had a fucking "deal or no deal" machine, I don't even understand who the fuck would play that. It was pathetic all round.

Somewhat the same, but much bigger and look nicer. They try to make it look more upscale and stuff and rebrand it to a "Power center" or something. The one in Kansas is huge and was noted to give a massive boost to the local economy there.

Oh the irony. That's exactly what your little crusade smells like since I've never seen anyone complain about the term until recently.

Oh dear, then it means you have to base it on the post's actual content instead. What a shame.

People have been shitting on your flubs since the start faggot. "channers" and anything like it's been shitted on for longer than you've been alive most likely. Eat shit you fucking BR tier poster.

You haven't contributed to this thread at all except to shit in it by complaining that people call others out for using retarded terms. Fuck off fag.

We used to have an amazing arcade in town. Owner would import shit from Japan that had just come out. It was cheap as fuck. You would pay two dollars and then you got in and could buy tokens for a nickle a pop.Most games cost two but some cost one.

Now we have three barcades that tax the fuck out of everything, have cover, minimum, and are filled with iShit and shitskins selling drugs in the bathroom and looking for a drunk girl leaving alone they can rape. I don't even rape so there is no point in going.

It will never be 1996 ever again. Fuck Bush and King Nigger for destrpying my nation. It is the patriotic duty of every American to do whatever it takes to kill those faggots and all their lived ones. Add in the Clinton's too. Slick Willy's NAFTA opened the beangates.

My life is an unending tableaux of rage and bitterness. Also drinking. And Touhou.

Are you in California or New York state?

Suck my cock, faggot.

Then prove it's not just your fabrication. That's why we have imageboard archives after all. I'm trusting my own memory on the matter that your interpretation never happened and it's only petty bitching that accomplishes nothing.

This was years ago but it still hurts. You can never go home again. Do yourselves a favor, if you're looking for a cabinet yourself, stay away from Summit Amusements. I have plenty of stories about that cesspit of a company.

Schaumburg and fox valley mall have arcades now. They're pretty up to date and have alot of obscure japanese shit.

round1usa.com/location/fox-valley-mall/

Where are you driving from? There might be some good ones in your area even.

Imagine as many machines jam packed into a tiny space as physically possible. It's pretty cool.

UK arcades are almost nonexistent, only appearing in select few cities and beachside towns. Even then in the beachside towns they're mostly coin operated machines like the 2p slider ones… If it wasn't for these arcades often having one or two really old game machines I don't think you could call them arcades.

The rarer ones found in a few cities (and that's just mostly London) are also very low in quality. Their selection is often a handful of older games that you'd find attached to a bowling alley.
In addition to being filled with shitty machines they're packed with smelly and noisy foreign children that hog all of the machines.
Barcades don't exist outside of maybe one or two in London. Count yourself lucky I'd kill to be in America where there's actual arcades.

Until you actually bring any evidence either your point is just as invalid retard. The difference is you have no justification from anybody else here. This is damage control 101. If you know you fucked up then you should just stop posting instead of asking for basic fucking information. The term "channers" never been accepted because the official term for it was well established before you were born dipshit.

Yeesh.

Thanks for the warning.

Don't bother coming to the States. Actual good arcades are so rare.

Why doesn't Holla Forums make an arcade that is actually good instead of bitching about it? Make it dedicated to things you can't just emulate or experience without shelling out loads of shekels like flight sims with full body flight stuffs, virtual headsets with room based VR trackers, Max graphics for normalfags who are muh graphics, and weird exotic controllers all in one location. Maybe the occasional cabinet that isn't a shit tier normalfag game. Then have normalfag games cordoned off in their own corner like dance mat based games, mobileshit in a cabniet, and rockband esque games where normalfags make all the noise they want away from everyone else in a dave and busters like enviroment for moar shekels. You could get vidya for free from steam's internet cafe program for the VR, rockband esque, and max graphics stations. The flight sims, mobileshit, cabinets, and dance games would come with their own games for the most part.

Let's count the cost. Four max GPU graphics stations if you got good deals on hardware: 3,200$. Two VR stations: 1,400$. A dedicated dance mat station: 400$ if on PC or more if old dedicated hardware. Two rockband esque stations: 700$ plus 40$ in games if steam's internet cafe deals doesn't include it. A full body flight sim: unknown, assume thousands of dollars so 2,000$ for now. 5-8 different oldfag cabinets: 3,500$ or so. HOLY FUCKING SHIT archive.fo/QvTP9 cost of 1 normalfag piece of shit cabinet game: over 7,500$ alone. That brings making a small arcade dedicated to autists opening costs without rent, employees, utilities, a kitchen to sell food from, the food, taxes, cost of steam internet cafe program, and travel costs of obtaining all the equipment: 11,200$ without any normalfag cabinets or 18,700$ with the fucking flappy birds cabinet.

So who's going to make the gofundme?

You have one other person, which is nothing. Again, if the term is so controversial you should have no problem digging up archived posts to prove it.

Because we're mainly bitching at something we know as inevitable. Arcades are not as financially viable for stability as they were even 10 years ago, thanks to the rapidly growing technologically literate populace knowing how to emulate on a variety of devices. Unless you're in a city with a high amount of 15-28 year olds in a condensed area, they're not generally financially worthwhile. Of course, this can be mitigated by running a barcade, but then you risk machine damage from drunks and spilling drinks, and hipsters ruining your place with their presence.

Unless of you invest in what led to the downfall of video arcades into baby's first casino: ticket games. But now you're competing in Chuck and DnB's racket, so good luck staying alive there.

VR is a potential avenue, as the investment is pretty fucking high. However, people can do cheap VR with their phone and be satisfied. It doesn't have to be objectively good, just satisfying. In addition:
This makes the investment even more prohibitively expensive. At this point, you might as well franchise a Chuck-E-Cheeses. At least you 'll have the brand backing and reputation to lean on.

Fake walls and keeping the important hardware behind said fake walls, controllers are cheap to fix/replace, screens can be protected from liquids, keep the unit with the processor and memories phisically separate from the main area, you might even get a unique minimalist look.

An arcade has to either be a lot more than just an arcade or be a part of a different establishment to be successful in this day and age. There's an arcade somewhat local to me that is still quite successful, but the actual arcade there is only a portion of what is essentially an entertainment center. In addition to the main building, which has the babby's first casino on the first floor and the actual arcade on the second, there are 3 mini-golf courses, bumper cars, go-karts, carnival shooting ranges, batting cages, and a bunch of other shit.

There's also a local laser-tag place which essentially has an arcade as its waiting lobby, so you have something to do while you wait for your match to start.

Your loss, bro.

To expand on my point about chuckecheeses, it costs atleast 800,000$ USD to franchise a chuckecheeses archive.fo/Wl4Xz . This also assumes you are in burgerland. Then you get their bad reputation of being a run down, out of the decade, place that has potential (((pedophiles))) roaming around. With only an aveage at best pizza recipe for the food.
Have you ever used phone "vr"? It is absolute shit that normalfags get bored of in like 15 minutes. Sure it is a pain in the ass to find games that are good on room based VR that show its true cababilities. But to normalfags it will be like a totally different world assuming they don't collapse of motion sickness. Very easy to market if you harp on the fact that it feels so different.

I swear to god they'd rather argue about craft beers and/or play the board games outside instead of enjoying the rad selection of old cabinets they have at that place. Or they crowd around galaga/centipede/everything they saw in stranger things.

I tried the old "put your coin up on the machine to play winner" and the hipster fags walked away and wouldn't play me on MK.

Hipsters, niggers, and nigger-hipsters have ruined Sacramento.

Don't be singing the praises of Japan too much. They're quickly approaching the situation the American arcade found themselves in the late 90s. Everything is starting to become overpriced and they're becoming very stingy about winning free games. The main thing taking up floor space in many places are quickly becoming redemption games (ufo catchers and prize/metal machines). The release schedule for actual new games are becoming barren wastelands and a lot of the new stuff that actually dose come out are just small variations of what's already there. Production runs of new games are now so small that even if a new game dose come out, finding one in the wild is almost as hard as finding a good arcade in America in 2018 unless of course you're in Tokyo. Japan's still the best place in the world if you want to play new physical arcade games. But it's not all wine and roses over there either. The one thing you can count on in Japan, is that the place will be clean and most of the machines will be in working order.
This whole recent resurgence of arcades in America with barcades and everything just screams fad to me too. Ninety percent of these places are not going to still be open in five years. Or their all going to slowly transform in Dave and Buster lites. And this is coming from someone who goes to one every other week or so.

You are right, that's why things like dancepads and guitar hero like things need to be there for normalfags. But if you go off the deep end appeasing normalfags with things like batting cages and mini-golf you not only just increased your equipment/liscense/building costs and employee costs four-fold, you have to deal with the increase of normalfags. You do want that hang out type of feel, but you also don't want it to be somewhere the nigger tier idiots hang out trying to rape your customers. So it is a balancing act depending on what kind of buisness you are going for.

Its temporary user. The cost of living is so fucking high but I can actually save money because I'm not a retard, soon I can move to a real state and have a good start there.

The only decent ones I've seen in recent years were at amusement parks, it's been a few years so maybe it's all mobile shit too now.

The batting cages and shit are all in the back and their presence is not heavily advertised by the place, so most of the normalfags stick with the mini golf. I do think they've got the right idea with having the not-gambling, Guitar Hero and DDR shit separated from the actual arcade by having them on two different floors.

I meant the chuckecheeses point as a joke, but I didn't think the franchise rights were that high. Bloody hell.
And you got me about VR. Admittedly, I have not used it, and only had opinions of a few normalfags to go off of. I'm going to head to bed before these drinks make me more dumb shit.

My country stopped caring about cabinets. I may see the occasional kiddie arcades but the places owning and running shit like Metal Slug or House of the Dead are practically non existent.
I guess the only way to make Arcade the next big thing again would be to integrate mobileshit into their plans a la pokèmon go so that normalfags move with their totally not jewish fake currency towards the hot spots and play each other.

Just because you live in a shithole doesn't mean that you want it to be like that. California used to be the top dog for American culture and innovation, now it's a living proof that multiculturalism was a mistake and the only way to truly assimilate another people is to either forcibly annex them and subject them to various degrees of socioeconomic changes (like with Hong Kong or Argentina) or to force conversion and change of customs to those that want to live in your country (like it used to happen during the Crusades or the Russian expansions).

It never was you fucking revisionist. The term was defined years ago. I spotted a newfag and it's you. Get over it and lurk more retard.

Arcades are shit in the first place. It should come as no surprise that american arcades are shit too.

guaranteed replies

Hahaha you are fucking wrong, 08 was the death spiral after the Gaia and Fox News invasions.

Go the fuck back go your hellhole Commiefornian, nobody wants you.

The real battle is fought where the enemy sleeps.

Someone in AGDG needs to pick that idea back up.

pretty much my experience with it, too. it was fun for nostalgia, but after spending 8 hours there, I appreciated my MAME collection that much more.

Last year my sister invited me to go with her and the kids to Blackpool. I've not been since I was a kid myself, but I remembered there being loads of great arcade machines. Asked her if there were still arcades and she said yeah (she goes about once a year with the kids).
EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME WAS EITHER A 2P pusher OR A BANDIT. One arcade had a solitary lightgun game that had people queuing up for it because they were so desperate to play an actual game.

As I watched my nieces joyfully run around, pushing 2ps before moving to another machine to push more 2ps I stood there, furiously bored. All I could do was remember back to the days of my youth. The cabinets lined up in rows. Each one a brilliant new game. The pinball games. The wierd little hologram laser disc games. Finding something like AVP arcade and pouring cash into it. Sitting down in Starblade for the first time. It was very depressing.

Pump it Up is better than Dance Dance Revolution.

I feel like I missed so much stuff.

Go to Round One, dude. Japanese entertainment complex that is slowly infecting America and bringing over real ass arcade games. Only way I keep sane is by occasionally driving down and playing Initial D8.

now I don't think that's quite true, user

I'm fucking lucky as hell that there's a bowling alley in town that basically hasn't been changed, updated, or modernized in any way since the mid-90s, including the arcade. Seriously, you walk in, and immediately you smell the old, stale-but-familiar cigarette odor you get in any 20+ year old public gathering place from back when you could still smoke just about anywhere, the lights are a bit dim so there's that calming atmosphere, and the wallpaper and decor is all straight out of the early to mid-80s. If you go right there's the bigger arcade section, with lots of late 90s/early 2000s shooters like Time Crisis, House of the Dead, etc., a DDR unit, a claw game, some fighting games I can't remember, and some other things. Go left, and you pass by a bar, then a food stand with pretty decent pizza and chicken tenders, then the other arcade room, which is almost entirely classic racing games, except for, I shit you not, an original production Asteroids cabinet from around 1979 or so. The funniest thing is, as far as I know, it's not intentionally some sort of excellent repository of classic games and interior design aesthetics, the owners literally just stopped updating almost everything about it 20 years ago, so it's pretty much a time capsule of what it was like going to a nice bowling alley in the mid to late 90s–junk food, vidya, 80s interior design, and all.

You can actually have proper dance step sequence with PIU
DDR is just stomping.

That's what everyone keeps telling me. It just sounds like too much work and noise. Maybe if I could get one of those date rapes where the grill is all unconcious and couldn't scream or struggle then maybe. But that wouls still suck because I would have todo all the work.

Can't someone find a way to make rape convienent and simple for thecommon man?

I went to that place called Level 257 in the Schaumburg mall. It sucks, especially since they changed the paying system. You used to just pay whatever for a few hours of play, but now they have a credit system a la Gameworks or Dave & Busters. The games there aren't much to write home about either.

How do we stop him bros…

Whoever made it is. I'm not even trying to bitch about them, its just actually confusing why they did spacing like that.

Fucking hell, so you need $1.6 million on top of the other $800,000 in case they demand you open more stores.

Last time I've been in a D&B in Times Square they had a DDR Machine(completely borked), Tekken 6 and a Terminator Rail Gunner.

Also forever rest in pieces Chinatown Arcade.

Back in the 90s and early 2000s America used to have good arcades all over the place, but for whatever reason they died down.

Then they came back, and now they're mostly shit. We're grateful whenever we manage to find an arcade that has Daytona. But the hardcore shooting/platforming games are gone for good.

Yeah Level 257 is more of a "Lifestyle Restaurant" than an arcade.

I remember asking them on facebook what they were going to provide that Gameworks didn't already.

I recommend checking out round 1.

Also the Brunswick zone in Naperville used to be a sweet 80's arcade. You can still see the 3D 80's planet murals behind the machines on some of the walls. The bowling alley used to look like a warehouse and was filled with machines all the way to the back.

There used to be a pizza place near where I live that had a game room. Final Fight, Outrun, Mario Bros/Donkey Kong, Killer Instinct, Metal Slug. Real class act. The thing that killed it was them trying to get more family friendly, then all the little kids treating machines like they were at Chuckie Cheese ended up breaking all the cool shit. Shame, they have good pizza.

If you're asking why redditors "reddit space", it's because Reddit doesn't accept single line breaks, only double line breaks, so after years of using the website they get into the habit of ALWAYS double-spacing, and inadvertently bring the habit to other websites. Some user made a .gif of how single-line breaks get removed after posting, but I can't seem to find it.

Good news! I recently learned that there is a place in Oslo that recently opened with a ton of old arcade games. Mostly with older games from the 80s but better than nothing, they do have R-type and metal slug 4. I'll be visiting it tomorrow. Pic related.

That user who considers it a bad way to detect bad posts should because Reddit did not invent the concept of double spacing, and the rivalry with Reddit went on for years without anyone associating the double spacing with Reddit.

They had one job.

These are the last two "arcades" I've seen in the past decade. One in a K-Mart that's scheduled for shutdown, and another in a flea market west of Cleveland.

Another reason is the quick reply window is pretty small by default, and while it can be resided, most do not bother doing so. When they see a large-ish block of text in the quick reply window, they think "oh, I should break this up for readability", and then you get double-spaced sentences.

Oh fuck yes, time to visit the capital

(((CRT user)))

Tilt Oslo is the name. By the way, a change of plans. I am actually going there right now.

Aaah, you lucky bastard. Play some games in my stead, and thank you for the name, viking bro. I hope you have fun.

We still have legit arcades in my town, they just now serve beer as well. "Barcades" are the places aimed at our demographic these days.

Isn't Oslo a shithole nowadays?

I actually forgot that for a moment. Yes, yes it is.

When arcades started to become unable to compete with home video games in the US operators simply realized they needed to start running them like casinos. That's really all there is to it. Everything aspect of American arcades is due to this philosophy. Arcades in America are where suckers go.

Case in point right here. All the money is in ticket redemption bullshit now, which walks a very fine line between gaming and actual gambling. The problem is all the really great arcade games can be made on home hardware now. There are few types of experiences that can only be had on large, expensive physical arcade hardware. And I honestly would much rather play Rayforce than House of the Dead personally.

rofl no, malls are dying because of retail consolidation and online shopping. Why would a mother stop by Pay Less Shoes when Wal-Mart offers the same crap? Why would I stop by Radio Shack when I can get better hardware for cheaper off Newegg?

So obviously, running an arcade as a profit-seeking "business" generally is a pretty bad idea in today's world. I am very interested however in running an arcade as a sort of consumer cooperative, where the players/operators own the machines collectively, kind of like a community gym membership or a coop grocery store. Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

No, and I assume it would work well. The only problem is finding people who are capable of maintaining the cabinets. You've also got the problem of niggers/spics not carrying their own weight and ruining shit. You'd want to keep the whole cooperative on the down-low but at the same time hit those niche communities of nerds like us who are willing and able to run something like that.

I've had a bit better luck, if you could call it that.
There's still a Laser Tag/Mini Golf place around here with Tekken 3, Time Crisis 2, Neo-Geo machine w/ Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown 2. I'll occasionally go kill some time there, but I really wish there were people to play with. But who the fuck wants to play Tekken 3?

Well the thing about collective ownership is it makes people care more for the things they use. After all, you take care of your own controllers don't you? When you have a stake in the game it disincentivizes that kind of behavior.

You'd be surprised, man. They even fuck up stuff that they paid good money for. Unless the cooperative has the ability to kick people out, it's almost useless.

This. The last hammer game i played always scored zero for me even with enough strength to break the machine into pieces. Operators should always fix their shit, no excuses.

Apparently working in arcades gives you fuck off massive bags under your eyes.

Well, I am back. They actually had a pretty nice selection. I played salamander, D&D: tower of doom, R-type, metal slug 4 and Rally-X. I did get a pretty good score at salamander, got to level 3. It seems like the only one anyone had actually put any work into was metal slug 4. I did discover quite the nice exploit, they used special arcade tokens that usually costed 15kr, nearly 2 dollars. However, it turns out that the machines also takes regular 5kr coins. I put in a 5kr at random when I first got there, when I had run out, I asked the girl behind the counter for more fivers that is when I learned about the tokens. I nagged her for a bit for fivers, before I got a token, atleast I got a token and a fiver. I just hope they don't fix this exploit. AAA is me, I just fucked up when entering my initials for the first time.

But that's my fetish, user.

why cant dave and busters buy some old crazy taxi units? thats all i ask

Shooting games are the bane of my existence. I don't even get excited when I see them anymore because 100% of the time there's some problem or another.

I ate at a chuck e. cheese's last year
the pizza was much better than I expected but their best game was flappy bird, they only had maybe 4 video games and that was one of them

Do any anons ITT live in Hawaii? All I know about the place is that it's expensive as shit and has some libtard tendencies. Is it filled to the brim with imported shitskins or is it ok?

Sage for offtopic.

You're pretty good.

Not really. Arcades were practicing absolutely judaic business when lootcrates were but a mere sperm cell.

Damn, now I want to build my own shit.

They built a round one about an hour and a half away from me so I plan on checking that out soon. That's the closest anything has every been to my deadzone in the Midwest. I hope it does well.

I haven't gotten my Wangan or Initial Dick fix since 3 on each and I need it.

You don't get it mom.

The arcade-only business model doesn't work anymore unless you're in dense urban environments. Arcades were created because you needed a giant, expensive cabinet to play them in the first place. Now you can play them for free on any computer or phone. Japanese city design makes game centers work because of minimal transport times and cost, and the few non-chain arcades left in the west are in very large cities where you can walk or take public transit to reach them. Malls used to avoid this issue because you're already there for other reasons, but now you don't even need to go to the mall to shop (nor would you want to unless you're in a good neighborhood), so that killed most of them.

Hybrid approaches are the only way forward. Dave and Busters exists because they tried a new business model: Applebee's-tier cheap dining and drinks give people an excuse to get in the door and stay. Bowling alleys, pizza parlors, and laser tag places did the same thing before them when the console market started to take off. The main attraction brings people in to socialize and the arcades provide a cheap side show. Communities (like the FGC) can keep small, narrowly focused arcades alive, but seeding a dedicated clientele is very difficult unless you are a part of one in the first place.

Yes, but I feel that I've been seeing it a lot more lately than I have in the past. Even if it's not strictly Reddit, it's neither typical nor pleasant to have way too many double-line breaks.

I can definitely understand that, but I've seen posts where they double-space clearly separate elements like post numbers and greentext, and even times where they double-space entire greentext stories. There's no reason to do that even in a tiny reply box.

lol

I feel bad for anyone young enough to have missed out on arcades

They ate your money. But it forced the poor kids to get gud.
Imagine be able to on 1 credit beat:

Don't forget about 1CC clearing:
There are none who possess skill now because they have never played these games. It's such a shame.

I can't believe I forgot these

I play Metal Slug at a world-record scoring level, to be honest famalam.

I do wish rail shooters could be emulated more easily, but I honestly say I don't miss all those shallow dimetric beat 'em ups. It really was the FPS genre of its day.

I should say, I play Metal Slug at a world-record scoring level, and I've never actually encountered a physical Metal Slug machine.

Those were classic though and fun as hell with friends

Especially 4-man on TMNT, The Simpsons
Or 6 man on X-men

People were lined up to play that shit
Hence why it felt so good being badass on 1 credit playing Bart or Homer (even Lisa - Marge sucks) while everyone else is 1-and-done switching in and out

I hope you all mashed the button/trigger if you failed near the end with your 1CC attempt, to stop faggots from continuing from you.

nah its not that big of a deal

No it's fucking bullshit, the American version of the simpsons game is way harder than the Japanese version. It's complete bullshit.

git gud

Do share user.

MEANWHILE AT DAVE AND BUSTER'S

I don't think what they have right now is super impressive, but it's still a somewhat new chain and is pretty much the only place you can find Sound Voltex III cabinets. Regardless, a Japanese company trying to bring formerly japan onry arcade games over here is a good sign. I just wish there was one in my area.

I remember this.

An arcade port of the mobile version of an an arcade-style fighting game.

This is orders of magnitude of retarded.

I go to a place that has one of these. It's only been there a month or two. Cost a dollar to play and looks simplistic as fuck. Almost like a quick time event or something. I've never tried it. Might play it the next time I go there though just to see how stupid easy it is and get one of those cards. Seems to be popular with the kids. I've seen a few kids with literal hand fulls of cards. These card game things exist in Japan too.

It's like someone used a monkey's paw to put fighters in modern American arcades.

Oh boy, a HyperScan!

Not to sound like a weeb or anything, but Japan did it better

HAHHAHAHAHA
I actually wished there were Yu-Gi-Oh arcade machines that somehow scanned your cards so you can have pretty neat battles. Shit would be insanely popular.

I haven't seem an arcade around in like 15 years.

seen*, I'm tired.

Feels good not missing out. My town in Russia had a pretty good arcade: Virtual On, HotD, Time Crisis, Tekken 3, Daytona USA and other games, I used to spend a lot of time there. It closed sometime in 2005 and the machines got relocated here and there. Gradually, they started dying. The Tekken 3 machine outlived everyone and is currently in the other part of town. The motherfucker has a dying screen, fucked up buttons, non-working sound and torn marquees, but it's still alive.

Sage for blogposting, just reminiscing stuff.

The term *chan you fucking retard. I've never seen anyone give a shit about it, or *channer. Ever. You've presented no evidence that it was ever cared about so stop chimping out over it, it's distracting and pointless.

You never went to /jp/ did you. They hate foreigners invading their little safe space.

It's a nonsense complaint on Holla Forums when it has its own reason for frequent double-spacing: The reply box is small and generally you won't want to make it too large that it obscures posts or makes text unbearably wide. In that the paragraphs are fine, it's when posted and stretched that they look retarded, which, Holla Forums should not be doing since it is horrendous for readability.

You'd have a point if the post ID is double-spaced or something stupid but abberations like that almost never happen.

100% BULLSHIT
Why are you lying?

I bet that's all one moron. Even then you could make an argument that it's some idiotic posting quirk, since, how do you even do that when posts automatically add a newline? Unless Holla Forums strips them out, like it does certain whitespace.

Let's test how this looks after double-return after quoting a post.

Didn't even bother reading the rest

OK no you're correct, there's at least two since one of them is double-spacing after periods. 2 and 3 could be the same person but probably not. Again though, how does it only end up as a single newline after quote if the idea is that Redditors double-return out of habit?

Plus, most of the people using the "Reddit spacing" argument are retarded and think any instance of frequent linebreaking is it, when again, there's the sensible explanation of Holla Forums's reply box vs. how it shows up.

This. The F-Zero arcade let you bring DLC back home to play all you wanted.

For PLACES with Arcades, the answer is inclusiveness. Shitskins, fags and women flown to those places due to idiot marketing, and the humans that enjoyed them have left.
For Arcade GAMES, the answer is that nobody wants to waste money on rigged machines anymore. If you can't know for sure that the arcade machine is not rigged to make you spend more, it is best to just emulate it for free.
All entertainment must be free. As soon as entertainers get paid, they get greedy and corrupt.

leave it to sega to make a nintendo game good and innovative.

Because it's been here since [CURRENT YEAR]?

I have an idea. Why not just open a gym, have the normies fund it, then after a few months renovate the basement into an arcade, and keep a club sort of thing where you pay so much a year to be able to come in. Don't know how you'd be able to spread the word without a few hipsters hearing about it but I'm sure niggers would be dissuaded by the price tag

The future truly is now

Obligatory in all arcade threads.

Man, I miss iichan.

Not a new concept. Midway was doing that on N64 in 98. I think you could do it on one of the Cruis'n or Rush games at the time too.

Don Salters Full Blast Arcade is one of the Best for Ohio.
facebook.com/fullblastarcade/
They mainly do Birthday partys for kids. But you can easily pay once and play the games. Cleveland ohio has some barcades but you need to buy shit to play their games.
Cleveland also has a fighting game community.

Sorry i meant for the barcades you need to buy drinks to play their games.

Makes sense considering the black population of Cleveland

No faggot. The other user just posted 2 pic as proof that chan was and is a term used normally but since you are trying so hard to fit in you need to find any reason to mix with the crowd…you just picked he wrong one

it's ananomaus
comes from first ananoboards from WW2 era when germans were gathering in maus tank to shitpost, burn kikes and fap to imagery of asian kabuki theatre geishas
everyone who says otherwise is redditor newfag kike shill

Start your own mafia.

Other than that, Incest/10

spoonfeed please

here's an arcade worth going to

That similarly explains why Cleveland is a crime-ridden shithole full of corrupt leftists who need fucking Colombian neckties for their birthdays. I avoid that fucking rectal wart of a city by about thirty fucking miles when I travel across the state, and the last time I made a trek, I ended up in fucking downtown because of fucking assholes crowding me away from my goddamn ramps, and me not looking to make national news by shooting them for it.

For the moment it would be great, but she's just there for attention, like all gamer-gruls.

There's a pizza place I've been to that had a huge arcade area with a decent selection of games, some of them Free to Play while you wait on your pizza. Metal Slug, CarnEvil, Tekken (Don't know which Tekken), Ms. Pac Man, Asteroids, Galaga, Joust, and some others and Shooter and Driving games I couldn't bother to remember. From what I've heard, the owner was apparently a huge arcade buff and couldn't stand to see them disappear, but I think even they had to cut back on some of the games they had. I think it had something to do with it getting costly to have to inspect the machines for fire hazards or something.

Arcades can't be successful as just arcades anymore, they have to attach themselves to places like Bowling Alleys, Amusement Parks, Malls, Pizza Places, etc.

If you happen to read this, do share some of the stories.

She's already on ball two and only has five hundred thousand. She has no idea what the fuck she doing.

I live next to a dave and busters, other than the shitty way of pricing games its a pretty good place with a huge variety

I remember playing Time Crisis at this hotel and every year we went I would spend like 10 bucks playing it with my brother and friends. Its gone now and its just a bunch of mobile games, I probably spent at least 60 to 100 dollars on that one cabinet.

>tfw I will never have a real pinball machine

Buy an arduino, a pair of motors and some wood and build your own.

Only newfags use the term "chan" in reference to the site. Seriously stop bitching faggot. You're wrong.
God forbid somebody says it and nobody notices once to make that the defacto rule then huh? These sites have never been defined as "chans". Stay mad newfag.

typo

That's what I'm telling you to do. You aren't the saviour of Holla Forums for screeching about a total non-issue like that, it's just distracting and annoying. Nobody else gives a shit about it like you do.

I'm calling you a newfag because you don't understand basic terms for people who post here.
Also
t. newfag

I understand the terms just fine you disingenuous faggot. You're just deluded in thinking there's something wrong with the term *chan or *channer when literally nobody cares about it but you. I'm still waiting for proof to the contrary.

You stick out like a sore thumb. Stop shitting on this thread and go back to whatever hellhole you came from, most likely cuckchan since they're having another goddamn meltdown due to shitty sjw mods.

Obviously not. Otherwise you would use it properly. Keep posting newfag.

The thread's past bump limit retard. Keep bitching and showing your newfaggotry though. I enjoy a kek.

Honestly I see 2 newfags who can't cope with their retardation and want to be revisionist faggots who want to use terms improperly. Either way continue being wrong.

Whatever, keep proving nothing. I'm not into listening and believing random bullshit like yours.

Either way we've had threads just this week that call out your incorrect term. Stay mad faggot.

Just because you can find a couple examples of people not jumping on it doesn't mean it was always used. You can try to fool newfags but you won't fool people who were actually here for more than two years.

Stop trying to rewrite history, you faggot. Next you'll start telling us we shouldn't talk shit about SJWs since "channers" were always SJWs, and they always said "le" before every "le noun."

Until you prove that it's ever mattered it's nothing more than your pet peeve.

It has. You wouldn't know being new. If you need proof you obviously haven't been here for more than a few weeks.
Nah, Stay mad fag.

Repeatedly asserting your bullshit is not proof. Get to it. Besides I've given you plenty of clues of my imageboard age.

Neither is assuming it's bullshit to begin with.
In other words you spent a few weeks on cuckchan and think you're up to date on the terms and jargon. And you've been giving away enough "clues" to confirm you're new. Again, stay mad newfaggot.

keep posting

Sure, and you take it easy.

I don't have to listen to newfags.

Sure I'm a newfag. By the old definition which at this point is almost a goddamn decade. Are you claiming to be a unicorn True Oldfag?

That's all you needed to say really.

Then prove you're better. True Oldfags™ are unicorns, and demand extraordinary proof of their existence.

All you've proven is you're an insufferable nigger who doesn't belong.

I already have and I didn't even need to reply other than to laugh at you.

Says the guy defending incorrect terms. Stay mad pleb.

BUMP