XCOM

Which Xcom is better, the one from 1994 or the Firaxis reboot?

People on steam tell me Firaxis reboot is better, not sure, I am new to the series, that's why I am asking

Other urls found in this thread:

goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/forum/8-modding-discussion/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That should tell you right there which is better.

Right, OP?

I think xdubs is better.

Why are the fags most insistent on dubspamming threads the worst at actually getting dubs?

X-COM innovated on tactics and strategy games in so, so many ways in 1994, and in the years since games like Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm innovated on the genre(s) further still. Then Firaxis' X-COM game comes out, and it's such a fucking barebones excuse for a game that not only doesn't really innovate on anything whatsoever, not only is missing all of the innovation that came from the games made after X-COM, but on top of all of that is missing virtually all of the innovation that came from X-COM itself. It's a game that you'd think X-COM were the sequel to if it weren't for the graphics.

totally not a faggot, right OP?

bu my two cents, xenonauts and UFO series are better

/thread

The first two play like absolute shit though Great ideas though, that fucking biomass from 1 or how firaxis stole the mobile base from 2

this game is very hard for me to learn even the youtube walkthroughs seemed complicated

The one from 1994, if you want a more modern game pick one of Xenonauts (grab the Community Edition) or UFO:AI.

they had good concepts, but it was a small company with little attention
very few people even know it

This reaction image's overuse saddens me
I liked it before and now I'm just absolutely bored when I see it

This looks like a bait thread, but I'll bite. UFO defense is better simply because it doesn't try to force decisions on the player like fireaxis does with the abduction events, and UFO defense is better designed overall.

I played new xcom first, then went to old xcom. I the old gives you much more freedom, I can see why fans were mad. Play it you faggot.

Firaxis XCom has no terror missions or TUs, no base management. If you want 'xcom, but 3d' get UFO:AI. It's free

Yeah, but its freedom to lose. You can put your 1st base anywhere or you can put in in Europe if you want to win. In some cases freedom is overrated. But I do prefer old xcom. But I really disliked apocalypse or whatever it was called. Only original and TFTD.

UFO Defense is already better than NuCom by light years, there's no need to lie.

Hard to compare the two, 1994 plays like an actual strategy game while nuCom feels more like a single-player board game.

Did somebody say Firaxis' entire game design philosophy?

I THINK he means base invasions.

But, yeah, he's wrong otherwise.

I'm glad someone other than me shares my opinion. You should still play LW at the very least.

firaxis cant make xcom due to terrible design flaws from things as small as the shooting to the fact there is only 2 time units shots are treated as a pure hit or miss rather than the old projectile shot from each bullet and a NO GOD DAMM SHITTY CLASSES

Full retard.

This is why Xenonauts exists.

XCOM has nude mods
X-COM doesn't
This should answer the question

Go on.

You're simply complaining that it's not UFO Defense which I understand but do you really want an inferior game when you can just go back to MicroProse's games?

And the worst part is that since everything was balanced around this timer, everything became significantly weak and as such; was easy to simply alpha strike them. WotC went back on some of that but it's clear their design philosophy of "Let's fix a problem that only a minor part of our player base exploits".

But nuCOM's models are ugly as sin. Nigger, what are you doing?

user obviously means nude mods for the sneks.

First one is better, the reboot is better for you

I think the problem is that with the new series there are simply no options to play around with. You have one rifle, one sniper rifle, one LMG, one type of grenades, two types of armor, etc. You can't aim your shots, you can't do single fire or burst fire. Cover is simply full or half, it doesn't matter if you're behind a giant truck or a car.
Simply put you're playing all your soldiers the same because you don't exactly have options to do anything else. It's why I actually like Long War because for once you get options to do shit.

Video game for the soul?

I liked ufo though, its was like grimmdark X-com.

XCOM Apocalypse

this. real time with pausing is the best tactical format.

Heh.

wow holy shit where have you been all my life. anyone i talk to about this game says they hated realtime and they shouldn't have done it but that's how i played the entire game

My Brethren. they probably hated it because they went straight to turn-based Apoc, which was broken and awful. the RTT version was excellent, if too easy after you learn the game. shame like half the features were cut from Apoc.

It was the first game to have the best building destruction system too. I loved to just fuck around in the slums and set charges on the buildings and just blow the entire thing to high hell and watch it fall apart, aliens or not.

burning slums to the ground was the shit. i piss off the gang factions and enter Brazil mode.

agreed

on endgame I always like to take a fleet of annihilators and wreck every building in the cityscape except my bases. there's no reason to do this, but I do on almost every playthrough

Both have their own merits.

You can win even with laser weapons and a base on Hawaii you nignog.

The reason is because you can.

You can win with a base in antartica if you are good.

Well if you are retarded you do deserve to lose.

scorched earth best earth

since you know it so well, can you sned the sauce on over here?

true suffering

playing against your illiterate baby brother doesnt count nigger

me too, user.

Do you even read the posts you reply to?

I hope this is just bait, but if not: original. Go play OpenXcom.

OpenXcom with line of sight psy enabled.

The Firaxis one is a pretty bad game, but with the Long War mod overhaul it's pretty great. I haven't played the original though, and it looks like the two play very differently.

But that's wrong.

His thread was hijacked by people who play games so it's all good.

human or AYYlien?

not just playing a mega mod pack for open xcom
still playing fireaxis games

Xenonauts.

My problem with xenonauts its that it feels too bland, x-com has a 90's charm to it i really like.
I like the interception (and its music) in xenonauts though.

It's a real shame because the advanced armors looks like something the Cobra Unit would use if it was painted blue. If your unit turned into a thinly veiled Cobra Unit and you into the Cobra Commander it would've had some great flavor.

Late to the party this time, but I have won once with the first base on Antarctica. It was on a low difficulty, but still….

I liked the charm from the photos of the aircrafts. Those were really cool. But my problem with Xenonauts and with these games in general is that you have human guns, then lasers, then some human/ayy combo, then plasma. It's only 4 guns with 4 types of weapons. Shotgun, rifle, sniper and bazooka. It's all just too simple and needs some clarity that adds options along with making local governments feel more alive, sure you do get the occasional soldier but other than that they don't do anything. Also honestly how soldiers break down and panic. I thought these recruits were the top of the top, Navy Seals, Delta Force, Green Berets etc. They all have the most combat experience of people you can recruit yet they panic? Nah nigga. Armor in Xcom is too bulky and the armor in Xenonauts is plain as fuck. There also needs to be more gadgets imo.

Xenonauts has an official mod (released by the devs) which adds a bunch of shit, and some fans basically went full autist mode so you can get into mech fights or call in for air support if you wanted to.

X-COM
< complex gameplay emerges through mechanics
felt good man

nuXCOM

Sure, but Ufo defence got old real fast. Lasers are basically cheats and well trained troops with laspistols and flying armor are immune to most of the shit the ayys can throw at you. Bombs? Explosions don't spread up z levels. Melee? Can't reach me. Psykers? Good luck trying to damage humans with friendly fire laser weapons. Firaxis shit is actually similar in that regard - after a point your A team is so stacked with gear and skills it's not even remotely challenging unless you intentionally trigger most of the map at once.

Frankly, the high mark of the series is TFTD. Lobsterman, small clips all around and the environment that favors the ayys in 99.9% of the encounters.

open xcom fixes most of these things

Not entirely true. Lasers are still OP, still unlimited ammo, and the cannon actually becomes good. Your soldiers still reach ungodly stats with sufficient training.

in the mega pack mod it nerfs lasers and it has a ammo cap plus your stuck with ballistics for a good chunk of the game

I'm still waiting for a proper remake of TFTD. There are too few underwater games already and you could do so much cool shit with depth pressure, light conditions and ballistics in that scenario.

So wait, you actually just middle around and passively wait for the final mission to reach your lap? Nigga you have to research Cydonia, you're not one of those autists who try to research everything at once are you?
Bullets are pathetic, they can barely damage enemies later on you need the lasers. And why laser pistols? Just keep the mentally weakest guys disarmed and they'll uselessly target him over and over again.

Sure enough but for the sake of argument we're talking vanilla or at least close to vanilla / openxcom

Certain types of ammo are more than effective even come muton stage. You use pistols as opposed to rifles because much cheaper snap shot/reaction (training), more but not too many more shots required to kill shit/aim training and off hand stun baton. Also because human armor is virtually invulnerable to laspistol shots.

You know you can rush lasers real quick? In any case much quicker and with a far shorter requirement list than for the Avenger.

You're all faggots.
Mario + Rabbids beats xcom:oldfag edition and nuxcom

Vanilla open xcom fixes the difficulty settings so laser pistols become niche on Superman Difficulty since before open xcom all difficulties would default to the easiest one.
Kick out everyone but one guy who has very weak willpower, leave that guy unarmed and take him on all missions, he will be mind controlled forever everyone else will be too strong willed and you can use laser rifles freely.
Yes I know, the only way to get bored is to not immediately go for Cydonia once you've got things down pat. One live ship with a commander and all it's components in tact and you've got everything you need, you only need one country to fund you so just plant your ass in Russia where alien diplomats are put on a pike outside and let the rest of the council burn while you mass produce lasers at a profit and just dedicate yourself to research only shooting down UFOs and doing Terror missions to keep Russia happy.

Not true. First, bugs are heavily dependent on the version of the game you've got and second you had loader, bman's and some of the other precursor shit to openxcom that generally fixed things. The difficulty also doesn't impact the armor values from what I remember and having a fast weapon becomes all the more important when your enemies are faster and you still don't have your reactions capped.

You have your tactics and I have mine. Personally being able to use both your stun baton and your pistol with no penalty is good enough for me. Especially since by Cydonia I'll have a few dedicated plasma snipers to support the assaultfags.

So I've played through the regular nuXcom campaign and have just started a new one in Within with several Second Wave options (Not created equally, Hidden potential, Absolutely critical, Aiming angles).
My first squad was comprised entirely of women, so I guess I was lucky to get and achievement there. When I checked my Barracks, it turned out I only had 2 men, one frenchie and a south african. What are the chances of that happening, considering my previous campaign only had like 2 women total in the barracks.
And this "diversity is our strength" bonus? I mean I can understand it from the gameplay standpoint, but come on, it was CY-2!

I'm here purely for snek.

I didn't even know there were mods for it. Is it from the steam workshop mods?

Just make sure any soldiers you get from sweden you change to niggers so it's accurate. Might I suggest Tyrone Jamal nicknamed "Kang."

I tried playing once but it went to shit and I could figure what was happening at any momment, any tips?

Get a brain transplant.

Mods floating around for it is not exclusive to steam workshop.
goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/index.php?/forum/8-modding-discussion/

The casual faggotry on this board is no longer containable.

I might be misinterpreting your response but I'm pretty sure the user you're replying to agrees with you.

I do think that would be a bonus IRL.
Like, imagine youre in the position of fighting for humanity, and you can see great soldiers from all nations working side by side to defeat the aliens, i for one would be glad to know humanity is standing together and not in constant bickering.

This shouldn't even be a question
Nu-com was bad
Nu-com two was even worse.

It's just a small Will bonus. You can argue it's a competitive drive to out-do foreign cucks.

That too, the barracks must be full of banter.

These questions trigger me to no end. The fact that you didn't hyphenate X-Com triggers me even more.
Fuck this fucking board.