Red Versus Blue

Why is it when it comes to team based games that the team colors are almost always reds versus the (((blues)))? Why are these two colors picked over all else? Why not green versus purple or pink versus yellow?
Is there any special reason for this or is it just a lack of imagination on the dev's part?

They were used in the same sense by militaries long before videogames.
As to why not purple or pink? Propably because they're primary colors, and red is associated with evil or danger.
Blufor and Opfor for example.

They are primary colours at opposites of the spectrum (not counting the purple at the end of the spectrum that leads in to the ultraviolet ranges). If you want opposing forces, you go for opposites.

They're basic colors that are easy to identify.
As to why there aren't other colors is because grass is green etc etc.

Red oni blue oni

Standard colors for multiplayer vs.
If there are four players the colors are Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow.

Dude like why are health bars always red or green or some shit? Ain't they ever heard of magenta or turquoise? Fuck, some developers don't have a single creative bone in their body.

Americans and Communists. Blue V Red.

Green vs Purple

It's easier to make in RGB based systems.
(1.0,0.0,0.0) for Red and (0.0,0.0,1.0) for blue in OpenGL float IIRC.
This thread needs to die.

this thread is gay can we talk about doki doki lc instead

They are blue and orange today because colorblinded people

1. The colors are easy to see and discern from one another.
2. Red V Blue is already well-established, even outside of gaming.
3. Can't use White V Black as in Chess because it would trigger leftists.

expect default chess piece colors to change in the coming years

You know, the strange thing about Team Fortress 2 is that, on 2Fort, there are people who will zone out while playing and confuse the red base with the blue one and vice versa even though they are painted in opposite colors and use different architectural styles (I've been guilty of this myself). Isn't there another way to distinguish teams other than by color?

red
(((blue)))

Because red and blue compliment each other and are aesthetically pleasing, it's better than the orange and blue we have today which devs dropped for whatever reason.

I dunno, OP. But I do know that
red characters
tend to be better than their
(((blue" counterparts))).
Proto Man > Mega Man
Dante > Vergil
Elmo > Cookie Monster

Could be from the Napoleonic era, when the French in blue uniforms fought the British in red.
It was a very distinct sight and we have a lot of traditions from that era, so who knows.

That's what I believe anyway.

All colours compliment each other properly if you know how to use them well.
Some combinations are stronger than others, but if you do it well, it will not matter anyway.

See red and black.
It's supposed to be an immensely powerful mix, but then you have literally millions of autists who drove it into the ground on the internet where it is now largely redundant.

Red and blue compliment each other as in they're both strong colors that represent polar opposites at least in the mainstream consciousness.

I'd like to see more mauve and lavender, maybe some burnt sienna here and there. Fabulous!

> red and (((blue)))
> not (((red))) and blue

Now that is a really difficult thing to evaluate, user.
I'd definitely say that DMC4 uncle Dante is cooler than Vergil, but DMC3 Vergil will btfo DMC3 Dante any day until the last fight anyway

Yeah, because there's nothing more creative than taking something and making it a different color.
Don't be stupid; doing some things the usual way to give people useful contextual cues is useful. The only thing gained from using a different color is that people have to get used to it being that color. It's as creative and interesting as dying your hair blue.

I can't tell if you understood my sarcasm and your post is aimed at OP, or if it went over your head and you're speaking directly to me.

But yellow can fuck them harder

BEWARE THE (((BLUE))) MENANCE!