What is the consensus of this game in the Gears series as a whole?

What is the consensus of this game in the Gears series as a whole?

1-3 are alright.

Hardcore gears fan and 4 is shit. The story is retarded with an even more baffling twist ending. I don’t expect people here to care they never do

Gears of War? More like Gays With Warts

it's fucking shit

All GoWs are shit, especially after 3 where it changes from blast hulkheads to hipster womyn with hat haha

Ending in a shit note at GoW 3, tried to retain players with Judgment, then fucking shit the bed with making a new studio that would focus on the Gears of Wars franchise then gave us fucking hipsters and no new gameplay or anything that would excite us. Microsoft has nothing, Halo and Gears of Wars was their last "iconic" exclusives, now they have jackshit, which means the future is looking bleak, also microtransactions for multiplayer.

3 was honestly the pinnacle of gears multiplayer and horde

Ruined by forcing you to unlock basic stuff like character skins behind the crate system.

Leveling did absolutely nothing, just gave you crates. They even had this event once, one day only crates, 10 fucking dollars, and the crates could drop common shit found in the other crates instead of the unique cosmetics and skins. Just pure jew

Swarm a shit

That was pretty much it, I blame Karen Traviss for that shit story and then Judgment came out, and it was a game that Gears fans didn't give a damn about because everyone went to play CoD.

Jesus Christ

That bitch is ruthless

Yea and apparently someone took a baseball to Anya's face, she was so cute in 3.

By ending it like that, there's no fucking point on continuing the series, but then again, Microsoft doesn't breed talent, they bleed them along with profits and studios.

I remember enjoying it, particularly the horde mode, back in like 2009-2010. I'd like to try that mode out again, but I'd rather not buy an xbox just to play gears 2 and the first saint's row again.

It has to be the most generic third person shooter franchise on this planet.

Pretty hardcore multiplayer though

Unpopular opinion: Gears of War: Judgement is a fine game with fast-paced, punchy gameplay with none of the "characters slowly walking and talking about shit you don't care about" fuckery the earlier games insisted on.

t.never wall bounced

I only played the first one, but enjoyed it a good bit. It did cover-based shooting pretty well, but even being the first game to do cover based shooting and doing it well, it made you realize how shitty the concept is on higher difficulties since you couldn't kite and outplay enemies. Mainly it was just the world of the game that carried it, which was Warhammer 40k before I knew what 40k was.
Overall wasn't bad but not really worth remembering. Just play Space Marine instead.

gameplay is fine but 3 took an extreme story shift because the story was -apparently- "too cerebral" and a story about deep core mining, abusing the poor and a government cover up turned into "fukkin i dunno, anicent evil or somethin?" instead and to try and make a 'killer app' to save the xbone now halos dead 4 is literally "it happened….again?!?". As a third person shooter it has potential for fun moments and fun hard modes but as a game series its a mess purely due to higher ups meddling.

What ending? You get to the new horde nest thing, kill the gatekeeper, and the fucking game ends. It's a worse cliffhanger than Halo 2, that is if there was any sort of hook or tension built up or natural break point in the narrative to warrant a gap between games. It's not. It's just like they got bored when designing the last 1/3rd of the game and fucked off to go play Mario Kart.

Also, Horde mode is completely fucked. They've got it jammed full of microtransactions that unlock damage boosts, resistances, extended clips, etc. It's basically pay to win now, and with the class leveling system + common xp boosting bounty cards that only require you to play to wave 20 - most people just fuck off after the easy waves to collect the xp bonus and re-equip new bounty cards.

Also, for whatever stupid fucking reason, Microsoft's downloads don't work like every other functional companies. If your download takes to long to complete or service is interrupted for any reason - it nukes your entire install. This applies to updates too. I had a relatively small download error out on me for some reason, and it just nuked everything Gears 4 related on my PC. So I haven't played it since.

I hadn't received the game as a gift, I'd be fucking pissed. And then Microsoft wonders why the Windows 10 Store is universally hated. I don't even think they can fix it at this point, because of whatever is going on with UWP Apps behind the screen, or else they probably would have by now.

My biggest gripe with the story is also JD

Fucking hate when devs do that why promote a new protag? I thought this was JDs game not old man Marcus. Not to mention you barely know anything about JD and Del. The story is all over the place suddenly Marcus doesnt trust the COG wait JD and Del were part of the COG but left? The COG are suddenly evil again?

The COG were always evil

That's some shit I noticed Gears had in common with Halo. When the main games were done, everyone wanted something that explored all the earlier events of their wars. People wanted a Penedulm Wars game and Halo fans wanted another game either as a different spartan group or ODSTs again.

And they both proceeded to just ignore it.

Both fanbase moved on, and those facsimile studios The Coalition and 343 Industries fucking blew it, fucking hipsters and diversity teams as protags, goddammit, then PUBG comes to fucking Xbone and blows all concurrent player population of both games out of the fucking water.

Gears was always diverse though

In a believable way.

It helps that the army isn't, "Best of the best," but is instead, "Anyone who can hold a gun"

its always been about the mp, which actually has a pretty steep learning curve

bad