Eternal Crusade

Anyone still play this game?
I used to play Orkz about 6 months ago and games were very hard to find because of the small playerbase getting even smaller.
Kinda curious the state of the game right now and how it's changed since.

template thread SAGE AND REPORT

hey thanks

This, no video games allowed here on Holla Forums

Did they ever finish it?

Officially yes, but it was broken and unbalanced to shit when they "released" it.
Many patches have happened since and there was apparently an update to the melee system that made it somewhat viable.

I played it a few months back. It had some potencial and I did like a bit the way they implemented squads: a squad leader has a passive aura effect on his teammates so they have an incentive to stick nearby.

What I didn't liked at all was that you actually had to buy it to play with the Assault Marines or the equivalent for the other factions. Extra mobility was a key factor in battle and most fights boiled down to "which team has the most whales?"

The unlock system seems kinda dumb as well since it seems to enable players to actually reach a much higher power than newer ones. It sours the experience when you're joining for the first time and you end up dieing against some fag that really had no reason to resist so many of your bullets.

I'd expect something like that in-game instead, drawing resources from a pool with higher class shit taking more resources and the highest scoring player deciding how resources are spent. Instead it's spam all the damn time.

Personnaly, I didn't enjoyed it at all. Most fights boiled down to a one-sided massacre since on top of Assault Marines being paid content only, the game also lets players to form Clans and when they join a server against you and your pub team, you might as well disconnect.
It's a game that could be casual fun and 40K autism but instead you gotta fork over the cash to actually stand a chance and have fun, not to mention requiring top-tier coordination to even accomplish anything whatsoever, so you better bring a lot of friends or you might as well play something else.

Still better than Planetside 2 though.

The squad leader ability would be nicer if players in the squad could control who was the leader.
Instead it's just random guy who thinks "hey i bet i get more shit if i'm the leader" and then they never do anything like mark points.
To be fair, at leasy when I played, the jetpack units of every faction were complete shit because their armor was so low they died almost instantly. The only jetpack unit that worked was the eldar because of the hover ability paired with a sniper.
FUCK, I just remembered this was supposed to be an open world massive battle sim.

I mean i think the game could be good if the French fucks that made it knew what optimization meant.

That they spend half of their fucking resources advertising pre-release crap from the ingame store (and this is no F2P title, mind you) only adds insult to injury.

I'm surprised people were expecting quality out of a developer that was known for literally making doritos games

I AM STILL FUCKING MAD
THIS SHIT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THAT DIFFICULT TO FUCK UP.

You didn't need to worry about story, just having a planet there for everyone to fight over was enough. You didn't need to make up weapons, the lore literally hands you EVERY FUCKING THING on a silver platter. You just have to code shit in. Make the gameplay fun. Actually hold up your end of the bargain. That's it. IF you can't hand players the world don't fucking promise it.

I feel bad for anyone who didn't play Orks. It was buggy, melee was awful, half of our weapons didn't work. But we had personality. We had fun, because everyone acted in character. The teamwork and everyone talking in stupid Ork accents made the game semi bearable. But everything else was so awful that the community can't fix it. Especially when the community's whining caused some of the issues in the first place.

But that's not all. What you forgot to mention was that most of the stuff they offered in their cash shop isn't even in game. Their hero classes are no where to be found, the vehicles they threw into the shop are also nowhere to be found.

All they really had to do was make Planetside 2 with Skulls and they would have been set.

Bandai Namco is the reason for the fuckup, they threw like 5 mil at these incompetent french fucks.

GeeDubs need to stop whoring their IP to incompetent fucks, there's more shit WH40K games than Resident Evil.

They were given a lifeline and they fucking squandered it with infighting and incompetency.

I miss this so much
Also miss the Kannon and just how assmad everyone else was about it.

reminder that in the concept phase, they wanted to have the free players only able to play as Orkz, which would be much more fragile and have a much higher player count per match than spess mareens or eldar or whatever. this would have meant that you would actually have been able to be a part of the screaming green tide swarming some nine or ten whales or being one of those whales and holding an objective against 5:1 odds. it would have been unique, lore appropriate and probably would have been a lot of fun. as it was the only fun i had was when we were barely beaten by the Orkz in one round and one typed "NOW DATS A PROPPA FOIGHT, OOMIES"

That sounds stupid. If you buy the game, now you can't play with Orks. Or worse, you gotta suffer the F2P players on your team.

Proper race differences between teams would be cool though.
Orcs respawning much faster for an higher total count on the battlefield but being weaker would be pretty great.
Eldars capable of spawning in several unique locations with Webway gates too, or Chaos capable of summoning Demons by sacrificing corpses from slain enemies or even their own death for weaker forces, Marines using drop pods every 30 seconds to respawn in advanced positions.

i think they also had the idea that paid players on the Ork team could spawn as warbosses or bigger dudes to even the playing field a bit. even if it ended up sucking, i remember thinking that it was a really ballsy idea and would have liked to see it in action

It did not end up sucking because it never came to be in the first place. F2P Ork Boyz were amongst the first things that were scrapped after the original director left and was replaced by some faggot from EVE Online.

I had no idea they made doritos games

It's plenty easy to fuck up if you give the IP to a no-name studio with absolutely no technical experience, like GW keeps doing over and over
There's a reason there are so few MMOFPS games - they're not easy to pull off. The technical considerations are significant, and that's to say nothing of the actual gameplay. To this day PS2 is plagued by bugs, balancing issues, overall problems with game design and hackers out the ass.

Better that give it only to a triple A developer, like EA. To give the IP to multiple developers of all kinds of level is a good idea, but it requires two things:

1-To force a minimum standard to your games, or most of them (mobile shit may be an exception)
2-To give the IP to only AAA developers is wrong…but so is only giving permission to literal newbies of the industry, with no budget also. Most of the best warhammer games were done by somewhat more experienced developers, around the middle range (Like A or AA games).

GW should truly focus more on the videogames department if they want to expand the brand; But it need to do this two things, or else the warhammer brand is fucked.

It's amazing that they haven't figured it out yet, really. Only reason 40k is still around is because it got massively popular with DoW.
How GW didn't immediately start phoning some quality studios for WHFB games, I'll never understand.

They fucked that too because they handed it over to CA to make a Total War game, a thing that was every Fantasy players dream, AFTER they murdered it and turned it into that monstrosity Smegmar. Then when it turned out that Fantasy was more popular than they thought, they doubled down on the ground marines and threw the whole bone to CA. Now Fantasy is back in everyone's mind but the rotting corpse is still on the floor.

That's the part that makes me laugh hardest. Total Warhammer and Vermintide make people want WH fantasy, but WH fantasy is kill. GW is unbelievably retarded.

You and me both man. The only thing better than everyone talking in AND understanding everyone's ork accents (often true to their klan) in the game chat was doing so after a landslide victory and angry Space Marine and CSM players shouting at you to quit talking like Orks.
God above, that was so much fun.

I honestly shouldn't have said it shouldn't be difficult to fuck up, because as you honestly pointed out the scope of the what the game wanted to be was honestly over the heads of most people, especially at a a technical level, but I think it falls back to don't promise the world if you can't hand it to people. Honestly, is the technology even there to pull off a successful MMOFPS? Balancing issues aside (although it's a pretty important issue), do we have what it takes to actually implement a successful game? I know that Eternal Crusade originally was talking about using a particular technology, but it eventually came to light that they were not able to get a hold of it, and even if they were, they didn't know how to really use it, so it kind of left me wondering that.

I think has some good points, especially on a forced minimum standard of the games and to hand it off to at least Developers with experience.

We understood that GW didnt wanted a Total War game or any similar game to the wargame, but yeah, couldnt understand why they barely bothered to make WHFantasy games until just when they killed it. With the succes of the 40K games, they could have done the same with fantasy. Yes, there was Warhammer online, and Mark of Chaos; And its not like in the final years, Fantasy dropped a lot in number of players compared to 40K (Or at least I heard). But is surprising noone have made a WHF RPG or RTS game…If they are giving the 40K brand to everybody, shouldn't be the same with Fantasy?

hey reddit, sage is not a downvote

Eternal Crusade died the moment it trashed its original goals, and went to just copy & paste Planetside 2. Besides, being a full multiplayer game made it that the moment the online died, so the game would.

This game was an obvious flop from the very first announcements, but it topped all expectations in how bad it came out.

It would be nothing without the 40k logo. It would never be noticed for how bad it is.
I regret wasting the time to monitor this game's development and the time spend arguing with braindead 40k fanboys with stockholm syndrome stuck in playing it.

THIS IS TRASH
IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER EXISTED
ANYONE STILL WASTING TIME ON IT SHOULD STOP IMMEDIATELY
THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR HOW BAD THIS GAME IS

Why live
Also
>you will never play it Double Dash style with a cute girl

Any chance one of you recorded this?

Planetside itself is pretty bland but the netcode behind it is relatively good to allow that many players.
A studio with no experience just cannot handle such a big project and you have to be really braindead to expect anything else.

GW retardedness has been legendary for decades, it should not suprise anyone anymore.

Alfabusa's video where he reports a gamebreaking bug was the perfect example of how a decent premise can still be ruined by incompetent developers.

Sorry man, all of it for me was text based but I know a good portion who had voice chat with their groups and did it. Still, for on the go role play Orks had it the best

I remember when this game was originally supposed to be a giant planetside 2 style MMO early in development.

Besides Dawn of War, are there any other good Warhammer games?
Especially if they allow you to play as the Thousand Sons or BLUHD REHVENS

Space Marine is actually pretty great.

Best Warhammer game was Age of Reckoning
and i dont even like MMO

Here's a vid of the largest ork clan fucking around

I think you could conceivably get away with something like having really large "instanced" battles - maybe like 128 vs 128 - that contribute to faction progression and territory control on a campaign map, similar to what Heroes & Generals did I guess

No it was shit at start and it stayed shit. It was not good at any point.

makes my blood boil

this tbh. The only thing that made it seem good in the first place were the promises that the dev simply couldn't live up to. And its not like they were promising anything impossibly good; they just wanted to be planetside 2 in an expansion of the Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine's already-established third-person shooting/brawling gameplay. In that sense half the mechanics were already made for them and they still fucked up. What we got was just Space Marine with more races and a shit cash shop.

Apparently not to our resident nu-Holla Forumstards.