PS2 game thread?

Not really the best but still a pretty good game.
Lots of grinding unfortunately.

Recently bought this at a Goodwill. I enjoy the art style.

Okay, am I the only one confused on why they made pic related? There's no logic behind it at all. The system was on it's death bed and the 360/PS3 were at their height.
It's interesting because it's a well made game too. I would say it's on par with Big Red One and 2. That there is any amount of effort put into this is astounding, with the game having it's own unique campaigns and playstyle.

Probably for britcucks and hueballs

If that's the case, why didn't they make an adaptation for Modern Warfare?

they had pic related at my local walmart for about the last six months, no one touched it and I finally decided to pick it up last week.

I still think San Andreas is the best of all three overall, and Vice City had the best music. 3 was okay.

I always enjoyed waking up early with my cousin to play this. It was fun just to explore the bar and cause havoc.

PS2 saw some surprisingly late games, in terms of multiplats, yearly sports/licensed shit/shovelware, and the occasional Japanese game finding its way over (Sakura Wars V being a twenty-fucking-ten PS2 release out here, five years after the original JP release). That said, looking a bit, that Call of Duty seems to be a good year or so before what I'd call the cutoff (disregarding FFXI expansions, sports, and licensed stuff that kept being put out for it until 2013, I'd say spring 2010 was the end), and I'm not sure I'd consider 2008 to be the PS3 at its height, but that's just me.

it's because the ps2 would still have had a huge base
the only devs that don't have an incentive to release on an older system rather than a newer one are first party developers
that's why ATLUS and Gamefreak love releasing on dying systems
nintendo, on the other hand, makes games so people will buy the console, but smart devs who aren't under the first party influence only care about game sales

Posting le recommended chart

Missing La Pucelle Tactics and Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter.

I shoplifted Sonic Heroes. Still wasn't worth it.

And Metal Arms unless I'm blind.

You are.

Shinobi is a good game. I hate the final boss, but the rest of the game is enjoyable. I wish there was a better sequel with larger, open ended levels, a larger variety of enemies, and a more in-depth combat system with different weapons and special abilities. Never ever, though, Sega won't do it because muh sanic.

So I am. Action/Adventure.

Do we really need a ps2 thread once a month?

I agree, it's the PS2 so there should be at least 24 threads a year.

Someone give me the scoop about japan-only hidden gems

Would also like to know this.

The Cowboy Bebop game has multiple styles of gameplay and involves tracking a treasure chest that contains a lost musical number, the international release was cancelled for some reason. I don't know about Gantz my friend told me their was a game for it.

In fairness, so are a lot of people. Even gamefaqs didn't have an entry for the PS2 version until years after its release because so many people thought it was a GC exclusive

Weird, I thought Cowboy Bebop was way more popular overseas.

PS1 and PS2 are garbage unless you're a huge jrpgfag, in which case you have awful taste.

worth for the ff12 demo, the dbz art style, 90s anime reject can burn in hell for all i care

La Pucelle PS2 was censored by Mastiff out here, and the PSP version with extra content has a fan-translation patch (admittedly I'm not personally sure if it's a ground-up retranslation or more of a script rip in regards to ported content, so I can't say if it bypasses the censorship in its entirety).
Funny thing is that came west the same year as Shadow Hearts: Covenant did, which seems to have had no problem with retaining "religious transgressions".

At the very least, OP doesn't seem like the usual faggot that baits for easy console war/emulation vs original hardware replies in his (usually copypastaed) opening post.

We need a PS2 general.

Been kind of thinking of getting The Bouncer, pretty much only because I remember it being hyped to hell back when the PS2 had literally nothing going for it, and then it was immediately forgotten as soon as the system got a few games.

I just wrote it off a hyped garbage at the time, but now I'm curious if it was actually any good on it's own merits - and just not being a cheap holdover for Squarefags until FFX.

Yes goy, tell me about all those retro classics.

If you're going to add shit add Arc the Lad - Twilight of the Spirits, it was made by the Okage devs and looks and sounds good even if half of the story is a generic JRPG.

HIDDEN
GEMS

whos the trap on the right

Who is this?i don't follow e-celebs

He wears the embarrassing name "MetalJesusRocks" and his stick is putting out "Hidden Gems" clickbait videos which cause the price of certain games to go up, however if you subscribe to his patreon like a good goy he'll warn you what games he's going to feature ahead of time so you can get them while they're cheap. If someone murdered this guy I would excuse it, just saying.

So he is a literal fucking kike then.

The entirety of the Dragon Quest series is like a 90s anime ripoff. The character designs are done by the author of DBZ

good question, i also agree. We really need once a month a ps2 thread. Thank you for the talk.

also, image related, they are actually fun.

Playing this game is like sniffing a brand new vinyl album. Everything about it was perfect. Keep breathing it in. Oh yeah! Scoop the fumes into your nostrils.

I wish more people had played this one. It's not fantastic or anything, but it's unique enough that I'd like to know someone out there also played it.

It's still a decent game, but, man, I feel bad for fans of the original and for the developers. The first game has modding and multiplayer, too, which makes this even worse as a sequel.

I tried gungrave yesterday, it was hot garbage
hopefully the sequel and anime are better

Not according to wikipedia. If what they have is accurate, both PS2 Arc the Lads were developed by Cattle Call (who made Tsugunai prior, and these days work on Metal Max), while Okage was apparently developed by Zener Works and SCEI.

Aw fuck, I thought it was due to the devil shit, all well.

seems cool. thanks for the reco bud

If it isn't apparent by now, my family loved fantasy games, especially involving dragons. This one is interesting, but nothing special. You're a dragon, you fly around gobbling up cows and orcs, and you have various elemental states that give you different abilities. Of note is the titty sprite companion that there is no art (or even good screenshots) of.

It's fun, and it's also incredibly metal.

Oh, and the story is fairly interesting in that the orcs have managed to capture every single dragon, putting them into a magical slumber, and are harvesting them, factory style, for magical energy to power their tech. Of course, the main point of the game is to save your species from extinction.

why is only xenosaga i and iii on the list

I remember some game based on a movie that I loved the premise of but it looked shit. It had something to do with a military riding around on an armed truck fighting an army of dragons in modern day. I don't know if it was any good or not, though.

because 2 is notoriously shit
i don't think it's possible to get around playing it though

Reign of Fire?

Yeah, just looked it up, same one. Only reason I really remember it is because Guild Wars 2 did a similar April Fools prank, which ended up tying into Guild Wars 1.

Here's another one I had. Think Power Stone meets Conan the Barbarian. I honestly don't remember if it was good or not.

wheres this?

I have. They're not very good. Certainly not classics.

Shadow Tower Abyss. One of the better FromSoft games IMO.

Nothing else comes close.

What am I missing that I absolutely shouldn't be?

Really depends on what you like genrewise. Could certainly use the other two Ratchet and Clanks though.

War of the Monsters
Robotic Alchemic Drive
The other two ps2 Ace Combats

Uh.

No, we don't.

That Bebop game is ass

The Bouncer is a thoroughly mediocre game that was basically a tech demo for Square to get acclimated with the PS2.

did someone say ape escape

Ape Escape

I have a few questions.

Gamecube, I recall it was intended on gamecube for controls in general.

PC, what's with retards not knowing tony hawk games are also on pc

For a rule of thumb, xbox > gamecube > ps2.

You can unlock Dante in the PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe so automatically better.

I want to have vigorous sexual intercourse with this underage fictional character

Ace Combat 5 and 0, Devil May Cry 1 and 3, Fatal Frame 2 and 3, Ico, killer7, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Viewtiful Joe, Yakuza 1 and 2

Well the DMC HD collection is coming to PC in march so he could wait for that since emulating DMC1 messed up the hud a bit at higher rez, at least it did for me.

Right, forgot some of those PSP ones were PS2 as well. Meant Ratchet and Clank 2: Going Commando and Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal. Also heard Deadlocked's a decent spinoff, but I haven't played it myself.

That's a common problem, yeah, you have to play at native resolution. There's no guarantee the port of the HD Collection won't have its own problems, though.
Speaking of which the same could be said for Rez, there's a PS2 version but you'd be better off playing on PC

I only found Fatal Frame 3 undub for PS2. Does Fatal Frame 2 on PS2 have jap audio included? There's an undub for Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii, but it's not just applied to a disc image that you can use with Dolphin.

Just finished pic related in less than an hour. I was expecting it to be a crime drama shooter with CUHRAYZEE with a touch of Trigun. I couldn't see that final boss coming from a mile away, or the entire final level for that matter. Overall though, it's a decent arcade-style TPS. Calling it a shooter is a misnomer, though, since the game feels more like a beat 'em up, what with the way you can rack up combos and how your gun is virtually ineffective at long range. I really wish there was a more reliable way to side-step, but I guess all you can do is dive left, right, or back. It's no big deal, though, especially since you actually seem to fire faster while you're diving. There are only six levels, all of which are pretty much linear, with a few bosses. Boss design varies from 'actually cool' to 'meh'. None of them are particularly challenging either save for the last two. The game keeps track of your score and grades you on different aspects like clear time and kill count at the end, so you're more or less encouraged to do continuous playthroughs. Sound mixing is below average; there are too many loud sounds mixing up and creating some odd cacophony, and the voices are way too low during cutscenes. Speaking of which, the plot is all over the place. It's pretty disjointed and basic, and while the presentation is great, a lot is left hanging which is why I should probably watch the 25-episode anime, right? :^)

Might check out the sequel now after I look for an undub.

same

I'm not the user that took over and updated the chart.

Mine.

so just don't watch his shit and emulate

For the same reason they made this. I played both of them and they're okay, for the ps2 at least.

The jewtube commenters are in on it, it's a scalping scam dipshit.

is this supposed to be reassuring?

Yes kike, now fuck off.

The anime is basically a backstory and then towards the end follows the game.

1. Install base
2. It was outsourced to Rebellion Developments so it didn't take away development from Treyarch

Game Freak has never released on a dying system.

Is that the cutoff then, 10 years then you pirate?

4U

If you like the game/developer, the cutoff would be when buying a copy no longer actually supports the devs. Then pirating or buying a copy would neither hurt nor help a dev.

Pokemon Emerald came out on the GBA in 2005 when the DS came out 1 year prior. Black 2/White 2 came out in 2012 when the 3DS had been released one year prior.

Game Freak also released Drilldozer for the GBA in 2005. The North American version came out even later in 2006.

How do you get windows' font rendering to look so good?

Eat dicks.

I didn't think it looked that good tbh
Maybe just use ClearType Text Tuner with Magnifier.exe open so you can closely examine what it is actually doing to the text.

Bad music, bad game, ok art.

Dragon quest builders is this games funner spiritual successor

Assuming you want the Japanese version: It has Jap audio & subs.

I had no idea big name retailers still sold PS2 games

Do I have this right?

You need to get a PS2 Fat with network adapter, a HDD and a modded memory card.

You can play games from an USB drive but the PS2 uses USB 1.0 so games will run like shit and most will be unplayable due to compatibility issues.

Nothin personnel… kid

SKEEEEEEIITH

As this user said PS2 uses USB 1.0, slow as balls, you might be able to run some games off it but get ready for long load times, freezing cutscenes, and crashing and glitches. Shame too because it makes the Slim models only good for legit users and disc-swapping (which of course burns out the laser).

That's a lot of money for piracy. Still, it's cheaper than buying something like MvC2. Why is that so expensive nowadays anyway?

Honestly I want to say I bought my fat, adapter, and HDD for like $80 all together? Something like that. Not bad compared to a top of the line flashcart. No idea on how much for a pre-modded memory card because at that point I already had a swap-disc slim so I just used that to load up a Memory Card I already had. Only trick is you need an older HDD and supplies of those are slowly dwindling.

Oh, and I should note that buying all that shit was online like a lazy faggot, so if you went in to a store for your PS2 and (if you get lucky) network adapter it will probably be considerably cheaper.

I got my PS2,gamepad,adapter, HDD,eyetoy for about 70$. That's really not that much money, low tier PC mice cost that much.

I started collecting those, thankfully they are dirt cheap and a lot of people give them away for free.

Also does anyone know if there are any good PS2 wireless gamepads? Got one with the console I bought but it ate batteries like a mothafucka so I didn't use it that much.

Timesplitters Future Perfect, Genji, Haunting Ground.

I'm currently playing through PSX titles, but I remember this gem from PS2:

Fur Fighters

It was sadly a financial flop and made Bizarre Creations take a leap of death by juggling quite a few publishers, selling assets left and right to Microsoft Game Studios and others, while working on a title for another publisher/studio, and in the end, getting bought by Activision.

You know the rest - it's been seen so many times before. The talented small team got scattered around as corporate assets they were. Don't know anything else - I hope they are all doing fine.

Fur Fighters is a great game, but It's nearly impossible to get working in a modern computer. I have a real working physical disk for the PC version, but the game just does not work. Internet search gives PC, PS2, Dreamcast, iPad (?) as platforms, go figure.

I've never seen it before but theres no way it can actually be good right?

I can't remember if this game is any good but I had a sudden flashback of it. Has anyone played it recently?

Its a short mediocre 3d platformer. Just play Ratchet and Clank or any of the Jak games.

Thanks to an user I found out Capcom made 2 of these games for PS2 basically it's their take at Ghosts and Goblins in 3D. I looked up some gameplay and it looked fun so i'm emulating it.
I start up the first cutscene and HOT DAMN THIS GAME KNOWS HOW I LIKE MY WOMEN.

I'm trying to remember a ps2 game I used to play. It involved a QT and card summoning. It was like a top down action rpg or someshit.

my collection
all that money
all that time scouring to find these gems
and just like that, with a flick of a single blu ray disc, it's…gone
I'm glad we finally got some closure about Ovan though that was retarded leaving it vague like that for 10 YEARS I AM OLD NO

kingdom hearts 2 final mix
you'll enjoy it, especially on critical difficulty

You sure it was on the PS2? Just asking since I know the Gamecube had Lost Kingdoms I and II, which have female player characters, real time combat, and summoning monsters from cards.

Glad I didn't pay that much on mine (got Volumes 2 and 3 for about $20 total), though having played through them shortly before the announcement of Last Recode, I don't really feel like the compilation warrant a pick up for me, at least for the time being (I don't have a PS4 right now anyhow). It's nice that they did finally rerelease the games and fuck scalpers over a fair bit, but I've seen some mixed opinion as to if LR is better or worse than the PS2 originals.

ugly?

I'm going through Persona 3 FES right now and regular enemies that appear in mobs of 3-4 having instakill moves isn't fun.

Forgive me user I didn't realize you where too good to appreciate women with a early CGI aesthetic.

I used cheat engine to cheat some yen into my bank to skip the grind. Instantly liked it. Part of me liked it more than P4
Please no bully.

I'm playing a physical copy.

Good, decent MegaTen games have a skill called Tetraja that shields against those attacks, for P3 you're stuck with Homonculi or learning how demons' Personas' affinities work, come on user.

I already have a general idea as to what some enemies are weak against, and I just have to hope that I find attacks that work well with the various types. I keep jumping to and from Orpheus because that full party heal is really good though.