Do ARGs count as video games?

Also, were you involved in any ARGs actually worth your time (i.e., ones that were not glorified viral marketing for for a movie or video game) ?

I kinda miss pic related. Back in the old days, when /x/ still was more Cryptography and Innawoods than "How do I shoot Tulpa". Sadly the entire thing went tits up when some retard got so butthurt over a puzzle nobody could solve that they hacked the email of the guy behind it, who in turn torpedoed the entire crap and various subsites.

No.

More of a video game than most shit coming out now.

ARGs are more the game playing you instead of you playing a game. Nowadays it's mostly used to get your personal information so the creator can sell all of it to third parties.

Goddamn that nostalgia. Did anyone ever make it past level 17? Greengecko was working on it but I didn't think they ever did

Last thing I remember Level 17 was the one after which they did the email hack and Greengecko thoroughly flipped his shit. Although I faintly recall rumors that he did not actually end the ARG but propped up new websites with breadcrumbs.

Who else has a golden potato?

The extent of my knowledge of ARG's pretty much begins and ends with Night Mind's overviews of some of them. Does anyone have a good summary of Torment?

Year Zero was pretty good.

I was going to shitpost the Siivagunner ARG, but apparently the last clue was removed from youtube for hate speech

Boy do I wish I had a copy.

Evidently they rebooted The Wyoming Project sometime last year.

The Wyoming Incident*

Toejam & Earl is what defines a video game.

I can tell Snowden rocked your goddamn world, kid. But you could just get hired by an advertising company to see how personal information selling is actually done instead of wasting everyone's time making baseless accusations against everything you can possibly think of.

They can, and yes (Ingress).

Aren't most ARGs in the end glorified tabletop role playing games?

I like ARGs, but I hate when there's a timed aspect to it like when they piecemeal the content out so that you figure one step out and they go "ahah come back this webpage in a weeks time to get the next step."
Nothing makes me drop an ARG faster than that bullshit. Either give me to full thing to figure out at my own pace or go fuck yourself.

They don't have a win/fail state.

niggers

What was the ARG and did they get called out on it?

still whistle the theme tune
ohhh yeeaaah
hYPERfuNk zOne

Well Kanye 2020 is still ongoing, but it just barely fucking died because faggots leaked the butterfly secret.

(checked)
this vydia arg is amazingly good and i respect the author for putting so much time and effort into it, it's sad that people like matpatt jump on the theory train because it gets popular quick and just pull out a half assed theory from reddit and call it a day

What the fuck is an ARG?

thank you based dub user

hitler was too kind to kikes like you

While "JAMIN!"
The quintessential video game.

The Black Watchmen is amazing, although not sure if it counts, since it's a "permanent" ARG.

Pokémon go
Ingress
Any vidya that makes you use your camera or use localization

How can a man be so wrong.

An ARG is basically just a collaboration of people working together IRL to do something. So if there's a puzzle that has a reward at the end, it's up to people to figure it out outside the actual game.

It's also a gay cop-out for people who want to make a game but have no original ideas themselves, progressing as the people playing add more to it than the actual devs did.

You're confusing Augmented Reality Games for Alternate Reality Games. Yes, both are shortened to ARG but mean very different things.