Sci-fi rpgs

Why does Bioware has a monopoly on Sci-Fi rpgs? Can you name non-bioware sci-fi rpgs that aren't shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobygames.com/game/windows/space-siege
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't you even think of telling me Metal Gear isn't science fiction.

There's that Technomancer thing I think. It's by Spiders though, they're known for making fairly heh games.

Well it's not a RPG that's for goddamn certain.

Well it's not a fucking RPG retard.

It's got RPG elements.

Septerra Core was ok

Wizardry and might and magic :^)

CARLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS.

The last good Sci-Fi RPG made by Bioware is Knight of the Old Republic. Rest are pure shit and overrated.

KOTOR was shit too

Sci-fi isn't a good setting for RPGs in the first place. It's good for action, war and strategy games though.

Yeah, i remember it. Extremely clunky combat, regrets that i've chose highest difficulty and the whole morality thing about killing your enemies by harvesting something out of them or not.
I dropped it like hot garbage when i glitched out of the platform into the void. Also universe has pistols and guns, but they are extremely useless and don't deal enough damage, so all people on mars fight with melee, and gun can only be used as an optional low dps weapon. Which creates constant savage fights with sticks and stones and psy magic.

From the AAA space? Nothing off the top of my head. Maybe xenoblade chronicles, but I haven't played those games so they may be shit.

Deus Ex is a safe albeit old bet, but I presume you want something recent.

If you really want to stretch, Pokemon is kinda scifi.

Other then that nothing really comes to mind. Most of the good RPG devs have medieval fantasy as their comfort zone. Its only recently that modern setting RPGs have gotten the spot light, and of of those titles was Final Fantasy 15…so no rush there.

Indie scene may scratch your itch, but digging through the landfill of retro/circlejerk games and talent-less RPGMAKER hacks is a herculean task in itself.

I am just pointing those games out as a continuous trend in AAA market, and i am doing it with fears that EA wants to control Sci-fi RPG market. Maybe other publishers are agreed through ESA to not publish good Sci-fi RPGs into the market, so bioware always has a title to show off.

I've wanted a Diablo clone set in space for 20 years now. People don't want to make money anymore…

why pay for something that exists already?

But all those games are shit.

I am still assblasted about the mass effect series. What could have been…

Btw I have recently found some mentions about some "Hades 9" game, it looks a bit like mass effect, does anyone know more about it?

only the endings

Anthem is a really sore spot for me. On one hand, I really like the designs of the power armors and the flying looked fun. On the other hand, it's obviously gonna be an always online shitfest like Destiny, which is a shame. That big tanky armor looks great, the red color scheme suits it. I can imagine putting a mortar and a rocket battery on it, and arm it with a gatling gun or some equally heavy weapon. I wish all these games could be played offline so they were easier to pirate. Really, always online is a goddamn disease in gaming today.

KOTOR 2

Infinite Space

PSOBB is the funnest sci-fi RPG you'll ever play.

Anachronox
Albion
Fallout
Star Control II
Alpha Protocol
Geneforge
Countless JRPGs

Cosmic Star Heroine and CrossCode.
and Mars: War Logs, also. It was a bit better than Technomancer

There's a fun rpg shooter by some french indie devs called EYE: Divine Cybermancy. Very warhammer inspired, but also has a strong cyberpunk flavor.

I just got these on the top of my head, is this a bait thread ?

Obviously.

You could turn Baldur's Gate in a platform and it would convey the story just as well. The entire D&D infrastructure is a senseless relic to bank on hobbysts.

I'm glad I'm old enough to remember the 90s when those games came out, and lots of people shat on them for perfectly good reasons. Enter the millennials who believe everything they read on top 10s…

It has a lot of RPG elements.

There's Elex, but its a pile of shit.

The iron of D&D games is that a true D&D video game wouldn't use a CRPG structure. If anything, it would be closer to something like Dragon's Dogma, except using WRPG mechanics instead of JRPG mechanics at an internal level.

Tabletop games are great because they let you do almost anything. Picking up and tossing goblins off of cliffs? Combining random shit you picked up to create makeshift weapons? Throwing burning oil? That's the shit that tabletop games are made of.

The CRPG model is fundamentally broken.

I'm not a strawman though, a lot of cult movies and games were seen as really bad when they came out, it doesn't mean anything.

thank you

If anything, I want D&D games to go more simulationist. Nail the math and mechanics precisely, give the player every gameplay option, let them start conversations mid-battle to try and sway the enemy, etc. Make it a proper tabletop system strategy rpg
Goldbox was close for the time but not as detailed as I'm thinking

What game is this?

Xeno series.
Oh, right. Just Xenogears and Xenoblade, then, even though Xenosaga is more sci-fi. Star Ocean deserves a mention, too.

Steampunk Syndicate+
SS+ for short
you'll never get the sauce now

sauce

well that sucks, I hated that game my first time through but after replaying as an adept I really started liking mass effect. Banging aliens and shooting bad guys was great.

ME1 was better than KOTOR (not KOTOR 2, though).

bioware was 100% shit by 2012

WHAT ARE YOU DOING? STOP!

hand it over fag

There is also Space Siege:
mobygames.com/game/windows/space-siege
I have played it, but it's forgettable barely-mediocre game

My usual recommendations for good sci-fi RPGs

Cyber Knight (SNES) is a random encounter simplified SRPG. It did a lot of what Mass Effect does in terms of galactic exploration, features suit robots, and has a story inspired by Fred Saberhagen's Berserker novel series (come to think of it, so does ME kind of. Shit, what it didn't rip off Star Control, it probably ripped off CK)
badass soundtrack in the first one, music caps at pretty good in the second

LaGrange Point (NES) is pure classic JRPG and has you trying to regain control of a space station after its AI goes berserk/insane/rampant/stupid/what-have-you

while all 3 titles are Japan only releases, all 3 have translation patches

I sincerely wish the Space Battleship Yamato RPG for PS1 had people interested in translating it

To be perfectly honest bioware was never really good, average at best, why did normalfags hyped them as the pinnacle of story telling and rpg designs is something i don't understand as all their games are LITERALLY THE SAME.

Baldur's Gate was a successor to the goldbox engine games and came out at a time of high saturation of JRPGs and things trying to be like JRPGs.
It was fairly nonlinear, at least in terms of places to travel and sidequests, and was overall fairly high quality. The sequel managed to outright impress in a number of ways, from writing quality and ambition (how many games prior to it had romances that were a: not story forced, and b: more than a footnote in the design?) to implementation of high level play (admittedly better with a couple mods)
Both games had the virtue of a nontraditional protagonist origin and played it to great effect
It is absolutely no wonder that Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 cemented great expectations of Bioware's future output; with such ambitious offerings, where else could they aim but up?

It's after Neverwinter Nights that things started to prove themselves a tad bit formulaic (your mentor dies/betrays you/both, go do 4 things in any order to unlock the endgame) and you start to realize that they seem to only know how to make one kind of story structure.

they might enjoy a return to glory if they could break free of the formula a bit. Ditch the invariable mentor angle, maybe write a more linear story so you get proper escalation of events

Can you name Bioware sci-fi RPGS that aren't shit?

My comrade of African descent.

I guess you could also include FF7 because it's the only cyberpunk-like entry in Final Fantasy. It's really more biopunk though, but it still has a giant evil corporation. Of course you'll get a lot of shit on Holla Forums if you admit to liking it, but it really is a great game. The other FFs with sci-fi elements are either not completely sci-fi or suck, though. FF8 and FF13 are garbage and FF10, though having some advanced technology, mostly takes place in medieval-like environments.

Why?

pretty much any japanese science fiction RPG is better.

aren't most (good) Japanese RPG's science fiction? here are some of my favorites.

although, if you're looking for something that has the same budget and production values as a modern bio-hair title. that might be a tall order. although honestly for the life of me I can't figure out why Japanese developers haven't tried to make their own mass effect game but with an anime art style (infinite space is sort of on the right track but it definitely could've used a sequel or PC port to flush things out). mass-effect is really just a badly written Star Wars ripoff that wants to be a harem show anyway.

Sci fi is too highbrow for normalfaggies.

Good. I hated that trash since the beginning for ruining my farscape experience.

no, but there's a lot of them.

I do not understand why people have nostalgia for the mediocre action cover-shooter mass effect was from the very beginning. The first game was awful and I saw no redeeming qualities. I think it's just a lot of peoples first experience.

I have questions to you, why?

Do not even attempt to play that game without paper and pen to draw maps.
Not to mention that the game never even hints that notthief of your group has a chance of stealing stuff from stores including the item that lets you save the game where ever you want.

I can't think of any really terrible science-fiction Japanese RPG's. I know a lot of people talk shit about Hoshi wo Miru Hito (a.k.a. Stargazer) but I think all the problems are basically canceled out by the remake being so good.

The real reason why its shit since there's nothing original in it. They stolen stuff from everywhere, not just from google reference images of space and ayy lmao bitches: kotor and star wars in general, star trek elite force 2 and star trek in general, a lot of shit from farscape from asari and collectors to rachnid being able to speak through asari (whole feature of it) and into the very essence of multialien ship travel. Krogans are a fucking mix between similar species across all of the sci-fi shit, not just Klingons alone. Its very design is based around Syd Mead work, but wasted on cheap cloned species from other sci-fi series. And its fucking designed like a tv show.
There were never a good future for mass effect, it was always just a parody on bunch of things at once, it just normalfags buy it anyway. At least kotor had its own rules and universe to care about, mass effect had nothing of its own.

I never played the Super Nintendo or PlayStation originals. (even though I own them). I always thought the PSP remakes were superior, what's the major problem?

I didn't really have any issues playing through phantasy star 2 without a guide or map. phantasy star 3 on the other hand, almost made me hate dungeons forever even though I liked its generation system idea. and I never really figured out how to use magic to till the end of the game. phantasy star 4 is however one of my favorite games along with 2 ( although I haven't played the remakes yet)

the newest star ocean is pretty shite, as are the xenoblade games.

Artstyle and age. PSP versions are more suited for millennials and were designed in such fashion. In SO2 remake they even managed to fuck up original character look, but in first they made all effort for it to look as much as bland anime as possible.

well I can imagine that the budgets pretty low considering that it's a PlayStation 3 (ported to PS4) game being released in 2016. I've heard that it's okay and that the main problem is that it's really short.

have you played those yet, only thing I know about the first one is the bad translation and censorship problems but overall heard it was pretty decent especially if you're a fan of games like White Knight Chronicles or Final Fantasy XII. I've heard the second one is better and has no censorship (except for some really bad dialogue translations) but at least they didn't freak out about boobs this time. ( also apparently kos-mos makes a guest appearance. kind of cool)

please explain, how are they for millennials? ( gameplay, story, translation?) I did think the art style looked a bit "flat" and generic some places but considering the time it came out I think it's forgivable. the tales games from that time preview Have a similar problem.

I loved ME1 but lets face it most people aren't autistic enough to like synth and read the codex on economic systems of fictional species.

Entirely unrelated why is Holla Forums getting through my adblocker?

No, let me fix you:

Nice recovery

MGA (Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2) is an RPG mixed with a TCG elements. storyline is pretty okay for a metal gear title, but I think the battle system is amazingly fun once you get the hang of it. I'd love to see another entry in the series or another game that takes inspiration from it. (of course it will be forever locked away in a vault by the greedy monsters at konami)

Will the devs finally admit that 3d was a mistake and go back fully to pixel art?

Also:
It's like pottery.

Technomancer and Elex are fantastic RPGs.
I would consider Planescape Torment & Tides of Numenera as Sci-Fi as well, even if they don't appear to be so at first.

Technomancer and Elex are both garbage.

There's a few reasons Bioware became heralded as 'the pinnacle of storytelling in gaming.'

First of all, their stories were very simple, straightforward, and easy to pick up. You had good guys, bad guys, a morality system that kept your choices easy to define, and with dialogue and characters that were just interesting enough to keep your average normalfag interested.

Second, they were and continue to be the only RPG developer who can consistently put out videogames that aren't a hot mess of cut content, broken promises, and bugs. Obsidian, despite having the best writing, couldn't actually get a game made to save their lives. Dragon Age 2 was their worst game in this regard, and even then, normalfags didn't notice outside of the reused environments.

Third, they're power fantasies to the max. All of their games place the player up on an unreachable pedestal of amazingness, you're special, you're the chosen one, everyone wants to fuck you, you're the only hope the world has, and you're fucking cool. This strokes the ego, and tricks people into thinking the writing is good.

It was a new sci-fi IP with a decently interesting (if somewhat derivative) setting. Yes, the gameplay was definitely clunky in its best moments, but for the time period it was passable. I think most people were excited at the possibilities contained in this new universe. Naturally, Bioware went on to waste all of that potential and completely ruined the franchise, but not everyone saw that coming.

It also might be worth pointing out that they were one of the few mainstream studios that made "story-driven" RPGs for a long time. They continued that focus even when virtually the entire gaming market was shifting to shooters and RTS games. I think the only reason they maintained any popular appeal is simply because very few other studios were doing what they were doing (especially not with the Star Wars IP - KotOR was a major hit that people still reference today).

It was the first game I played that really made me feel like I was starring in a Star Trek show, and that was pretty novel. Sure, the shooting was pretty ass, but I liked flying around in my ship, checking out planets, intervening in petty disputes between stupid aliens who I can tip my fedora at and give them a taste of human cultural superiority.

It's a step up from Fallout 3 I give you that, but it's still a pile of shit nonetheless. You forgot the awful gameplay? The myriad of bugs all over the place? Repeatedly reused voice actors? Piss poor graphics and the yellow tint everywhere?
Just because Bethesda is so shit it doesn't mean Obsidian gets a pass every time they release a buggy mess. Get some taste user.

OP specified

guys who did those van helsing arpgs are making a warhammer 40k one. It's available for early access now I guess

oh wow an mmorpg is always online. how unusual

The first few hours, particularly exploring the citadel for me, I found to be pretty immersive and the graphics at the time aided to that effect. As it went on the experience waned however I held out hope the sequels because YOUR STORY WAS GOING TO CARRY OVER AND WEAVE A UNIQUE NARRATIVE……
That's why it fell so flat for me in particular, they did something very well in the beginning, and it kept me playing for something more like that through three quarters more of the game, and two more titles, just to see if they did something that well again.

Look, man. It's an RPG. You play when you're in the mood to walk around and talk to characters. No one cares if the shooting is sub-par.

but how am i i gonna be immersed in the world if my pappys shot gun aint got none feedback gunplay tactical

There's not much conversation to be had after a thorough round up of the citadel and after that it's all story driven stuff which requires roody pooey min max shooty parts to get to.

Whether you like it or not New Vegas is still a first-person RPG so it should have a good gameplay to be considered a good game. It falls flat in that department. You can't hide behind, but what about muh great story forever.

its already being said but needs to be said again, Bioware creates cliche story where you are the CHOSEN ONE where you do nothing wrong and you always win, this is some ego stroking bullshit so good amount of people fall for it like in KOTOR1 with the retarded Revan design.

Wow, I was reading this and thinking you were saying RPG's shouldn't have shit gameplay and using New Vegas as an example of an RPG with good gameplay. You're a faggot and should kill yourself.

The most important aspect of games is the gameplay itself. Woe to anyone who says otherwise. New Vegas doesn't have a good gameplay. It doesn't have a good story either.

It's an RPG. Conversations are a part of the gameplay too.

What? RPGs have historically been fantasy and/or sci fi for a very long time. I would say they are the default settings for RPGs.