Legend of Grimrock

I just beat this game twice, what are some good mods? I'm going to try the Master Quest dungeon to see if it spices up the normal dungeon enough to be different.

Other urls found in this thread:

megaup.net/
archive.is/6ZYsc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Try getting into Eye of Beholder series instead. Maybe even Menzoberranzan.
Also did you beat the sequel?

I've heard the sequel wasn't as good, so I haven't pirated it yet. Should I?

Don't really have anything productive to add, but I fucking love Grimrock and want to shill out (((for free))). Haven't played the sequel yet, but I have it. If any anons here haven't played it yet but are curious, I fully recommend.

I could never get into that game. The combat system was fucking horrid.

Its the same shit as in eye of beholder, which this game is a clone of.

The sequel is alright. It's more open ended and doesn't feel as concentrated as a result so it feels like you're wandering around aimlessly for awhile which you might like if that's your thing. There are still more linear dungeons but there's an overworld that's pretty open. The first game has a lot of "puzzles" that are just looking for a button, this time around there's still plenty of that but I feel like there are more genuine puzzles. Could just be because I haven't played the first one in awhile. There is also a little more variety in the classes you can choose. it's worth playing if you liked the first one I think.

I'm still waiting for a mod to balance out the classes in Grimrock 2, is it ever going to happen?

I'm still waiting for the game to have a universe so I can read up on the lore. Every game I've played has been so self contained I never really can get as immersed as I want to.

Can't you just throw on some music and enjoy the game?

Yea but I want shit that gives me more context on what I'm doing. It's why the endings to both games feel lackluster.

Some dudes locked a monster inside a giant cube and hid it underground in a dungeon so only people strong and smart enough to make it through the trials could fight the box beast. What more do you need?

Nothing. I just don't appreciate the bare minimum of context being all I get.

The combat system wasn't great, but it was good for a game like that. The thing that drove me up the wall was the hunger system. The game seemed like real fun, but I just can't deal with timers of any kind, especially if you don't know when and where you'll finally get some food again and get much of the enjoyment out of exploring a dungeon. I don't mind backtracking, farming (in any sense of the word), or having to cook/create food, but not this drop/luck based shit. I want to die because I lost a hard fight, not because I explored a bit too much and starved.

The devs are pretty cool, added a feature they didn't need to so people like hotwheels can enjoy it.

Really it should be a standard for crpgs to have all its commands accessible from the UI, keyboard controls are supposed to be treated as hot keys.

Fucking what? The entire point of the game is to deal with hunger. And it stops being as much of a threat later game. It's called don't starve because that's the first major hurdle. Past that you can have a sizable farm and plenty of equipment. I will say that the DLC and updates for the game aren't great. The vanilla experience is the best experience.

Oh we're not talking about Don't Starveā€¦ My bad.
I dunno I never had an issue with hunger. Especially in the second game where you can farm that shit pretty easy. Why are you comparing Don't Starve to LoG though? Their fundamentally different games.

check the filename.

Wasn't comparing, it was a joke reference, because it turned out the main theme of the game for me.

Poe's law is a bitch I guess.

I don't suppose you could upload both to the Vola? volafile.org/r/f8vk0tec

Is there a graphics mod that gives LoG more visual variety for the floors? I like the game, but I always get bored halfway through by the monotony of everything looking the same.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they prefer clicking icons instead of just having their fingers ready on WASD (except for this disabled guy of course). It's the same reason you don't see FPS game where you move the mouse forward to walk anymore. I mean, it's technically possible, but no one considers it when there is a better alternative.

Not him but I uploaded the first game in there, I don't have the second one.

Those icon buttons make the game playable on touch screen devices. I once played through baldur's gate on my phone when the enchanted edition was released. Worked surprisingly well.

whats the name of that dungeon crawler which took 20 years to make?

Grimoire, but it is more akin to Wizardry VII or maybe even a Might and Magic game, than to Dungeon Master real time style game like Grimrock.

Also, posting this useful pic for those wanting to get into first person dungeon crawlers.

Try out some of the older games like EoB II, Lands of Lore and Anvil of Dawn, they have varied levels.

I find those old game really hard to play because of the lack of smoothing: when you move or turn it's instantaneous, you teleport from square to square. It's really disorienting, especially if it's one of those retarded games where the designers thought that the compass should be a magic spell and not something that's a fixed part of the UI (looking at you, Wizardry).

Have there been any recent mods for grimrock one or two recently? I have been getting some new custom portraits for characters like shadow weaver and blackwolf, but don't have anything new to try them out on. I'd especially be interested in any custom dungeons that add new races to play. I always end up playing as all humans.

Is there anything that is safe from these people? Don't answer that, I already know.

I have the second. If I get a few replies I'll upload. Keep in mind I ave country internet and it would take me well over 6 hours to do it so it's more worth your time to just find a decent torrent of it on TPB.

If you want an experience that is more in line with games like King's Field, then I can recommend Dungeons & Darkness

You only have yourself to blame if you dl'd that shit.

I didn't know about the mlp avatar until after I had played it.

Vaporum is a really good dungeon crawler with some interesting puzzles, but it is not the longest game out there.

How is Hyakki castle? I have been wanting to try it for a while.

I'm downloading it now, but it may take awhile. If I manage to get this shit to work without any problems I'll tell you how it is. If there is a monk class, and custom portraits I'll be taking Master Asia on my first team.

I honestly hope the game has a monk class. More games need them. I need a good dungeon crawler, and I am debating on doing something new or just doing Ultima Underworld again.

I saw some game called The Quest that looks good, but it has payed mods. I have also been looking at Dungeon Kingdom

what? i played the damn game and hunger wasnt a problem at all.

Might not be the latest version

What the fuck is this shit? How is that in any way a satisfying boss fight?
None of the lore makes any fucking sense because of that bullshit and the entire game feels anticlimatic

Do any of you niggas even play the shit recommend to others?Couldn't you even bother to google shit so that you know whether or not this was basically released unfinished with major game breaking bugs that were never patched/fixed or not before placing it on your shitty list recommending it to others?

The list has a serious problem and with that I don't mean the choice of its games, but in the order they go.
Between 1981 and 1993 the Dungeon Crawler was basically the technological high of video games that only got surpassed when Doom was invented and even after that it continued to evolve for some time.
Dungeon Crawlers had the best music, the best graphics, the best interactive gameplay, the best stories and the best puzzles and they never became as absurd as the puzzles in Point&Click Adventure games.
And with that the real power of the Dungeon Crawlers was the atmosphere and ambient they managed to generate, they were the very first games that truly sucked you in and didn't let you go.
Now the list takes a game like The Legend of Grimrock, which has all the technological power of a contemporary game to build its atmosphere and ambient and then tells Beginners who have liked that, to play a bunch of games that have aged like milk in that department.
Afterwards its throwing a bunch of handheld games at the beginner, some of them are good RPGs but most of them are terrible in the ambient department and coming off looking really cheap when not played on their original handheld. Just look at the steam release of Elminage Original.
Arx Fatalis, some Doom clones, some "not yet Doom" games and fifth generation console games like Kings Field would be better for Beginners than throwing them into the hole that is the Wizardy series.

Out of that list, excludig those weird jap games i only haven't played Paper Sorcerer, but wherever i read about it i see only praises and nothing else.

If it was for me i would have removed Bard's Tale and Ishar. Bard's Tale is very underwhelming series with graphics being the main selling point, gameplay is lacking and is boring. You literally need to grind levels in a fucking western rpg, unheard of.
Ishar is just meh, combat is frustrating and everything is just average. The only good things about it is party interaction and game covers.

Well Mega is also acceptable.

Wait hold the fuck up here why is Ultima Underworld, Eye of the Beholder 2, and Might and Magic in the starter kit? Ultima Underworld is practically in it's own league with Arx Fatalis.

Okay so downloading Hiyaaki castle via torrent is taking forever, but now I am invested in it. Rest assured sort of that I am still going to play, and let you anons know what I think.

No dude, the enemy is the machine spirit inside the cube. It's deep.

[Meanwhile in Japan]

If you think that's bad, wait until the sequel when you can find two dormant/dead cubes as an easter egg that implies the cubes might be some kind of mechanical race and the Grimrock cube isn't special at all.

So eldritch Modrons.

So while I was playing magic of grimrock 3.3 I walked down a staircase in the mines, and couldn't leave the stairs because a spider was right in front of it. Decide to freeze the little bastard with the new frostburst spell then cast a range spell called wrath of elements I think. The result is the ranged spell impacts against the staircase tile, and with as powerful as the spells are I basically kill my entire party instantly. I tested it in the regular game, and that doesn't happen so it must have been a problem with the mod.

grimrock 1 and 2 were like $1.50 on g2a for steam keys yesterday, got both. Same with darksiders 1 and 2, deathinitive/warhanced versions.

Is there a legend of grimcock mod?

There's an infinite magic map patch. Even with that I 'd say you need to play Elminage Original before Gothic. You get a better grasp of the game's mechanics with Original. Even so, the game (Original) is pretty boring. I got the 6 rings pretty easily and was left with nothing but exploring for exploration's sake and sidequests with no rewards (rewards = fame and compass is the only thing you can use it on. It caps pretty early.)

Did you ever get a chance to try it out?

This a little embarrassing, but I can't find any seeders. I was going to find it somewhere else, but forgot. Sorry, I will get to it. I'm just having problems with retardation.

Sorry for making you anons wait. I just grabbed a mega upload, and went from there. First impressions are not good. The controls seem to have been made for a console. In general they are very slow, and poor even compared to grimrock. The controls are definitely an issue, and the ability to split your party is going to very likely be useless outside a few puzzles that require it.

The game starts off giving you four races, classes, two genders. You can choose to a human, yokai, tengu, or some cat creature or whatever. The classes are samurai, monk, a priest basically, and a ninja. So far the game has been pretty lackluster. I've seen grimrock mods with more than this.

Hyaaki castle also has an extremely poor interface. One that frankly gets in the way of the game. For example in grimrock to access the map you hit the tab key. In Hyaaki castle you hit escape then click the arrows until you reach the map. I fought my first boss, and fucked up. He killed me in two hits, but he is actually really easy. One hand hits the area to the left, and just in front of the head, and the other hand hits the right area, and just in front of the head. The Skull unleashes an attack the hits all the tiles in front of it if you stay where the hands can never hit you. It's just a strafing match no challenge at all.

So I encountered one of these little bastards. The first one I killed easily, the other one killed my entire team in one hit. Not sure if they are supposed to have such high damage, or that I fucked up my party. My monk doesn't have enough points yet to reduce damage to fire by 30%. The big problem is that you can't attack, and move as quickly as in grimrock, it behaves more like the shit I described here,

Oh also you can't save at all unless you are in their equivalent to a save crystal, so enjoy getting one shotted by some asshat, and having to start all over.

Besides some interesting enemies this game isn't very good, and it seems that my version isn't working right. For example the healing spell should revive 100% of health, but does nowhere near that.

That monster looks fucking great, thanks Japan.

Some of them are neat, but most of them are barely there. See this snake lady? She doesn't have any animations except attack. So if you get behind, or beside them you can just kill them with now worries. This game is junk, there is barely a game here.

Someone should rip off the designs and make a better game.

You might as well just make an entirely new game at that point.

Has anyone tried Vaporum?

I haven't, I'll pirate it next.

Please let us know if it's good. I want to finish Grimrock 2 before starting another game of the same genre.

Alright. I am basing my judgements on how it compares to grimrock though since that is what everyone here has played. Still have not finished hiyaaki castle because I don't have as much free time as I normally do, but I am not in a hurry to finish it honestly.

I thought you had dropped it after finding all those glaring issues. Also which Grimrock is best Grimrock in your opinion?

Grimrock 2 is better than grimrock one. I don't even have grimrock installed anymore. I tried out some mods for grimrock 1, but they were all pretty terrible except for one or two. I don't remember which mods I tried. As for why 2 is better than 1 it all comes down to level design, and having a lot more options. Of course two also introduced air elementals, and not being able to attack unless you have a spear in water.

Yeah, I think so too. Grimrock 2's story on the other hand suffered. I mean both games have pretty much an excuse plot but at least in Grimrock 1 the title and the prisoners made sense. They could have gone with another title for Grimrock 2 and made the party from the ship's tripulation instead.

Okay I have vaporum installed. So far the game look great, and has a real nice inventory/HUD. Bad news is the story revolves around the established character, and you can see his shadow at the beginning so no custom characters. The movement is similar to grimrock, but I have some very alarming news that makes me nervous about the game. In a broken locker close to the beginning of the game I found a crowbar with a letter addressed to gordon. The character exclaims "Gordon? Who's Gordon." He stops just slightly of rotating the camera, and winking at the player. This makes me a little worried. I will play a bit more later, and see just how good it is.

So I have played vaporum a bit more, and it seems to be like grimrock, but if you decided to use some of bioshocks aesthetics. It's kinda cool.

Good to know. From the trailer I got the impression the game would force you into messier fights than Grimrock.

More content, overall less quality. Still worth a shot.

Is it alright to ask if you can hook me up by uploading it to our vola? volafile.org/r/f8vk0tec

I think I uploaded it correctly. It should be there.

nevermind something wrong.

setup_vaporum_patch_5 right?

That should be it.

I'm redownloading vaporum right now, don't know what went wrong.

Alternatively if you have a torrent client you could just go to igg-games, and visit their torrent site.

What's wrong? It looks like it's uploaded to me. Just try mega or this since I do not mind the slow speed megaup.net/

No they've been getting bitcoin miners and fucking with the games now they're too popular, and their torrent site is persona non grata now.

Uploading the rest now in a bit. I didn't realize the bin file, and the installer were separate for whatever the reason.

Alright the rest is uploaded now.

Excellent. Don't suppose you can do Grimrock 2?

Eh, didn't do anything new to revive the genre. Dungeon Crawlers were fit for its time, this game is lacking a lot of depth and character. The last boss was pretty dismal, you just move, grab stuff and make sure he squashes the constant enemy spawn. I want to say the devs are pretty cool, but they put their fucking names in the game as the "Designers", come on dude. Anyways, probably wont pick up the second one. Good thread though.

the 2nd game has lots of lore, theres a secret ending if you didnt know

I don't have the installer on me right now, but if you do get grimrock 2 make sure you 2.2.4 as some mods will not work with an earlier version.

Do you have some mental disability? This game has several magic map equipment pieces lying around for people like you.

I finally got around to completing this piece of shit. Do not buy this game, it doesn't even give you the option to save anywhere like grimrock. It has special areas to save.

The fifth element one with you becoming the island master? Otherwise no I don't. I guess I want lore that describes more about the world in general and how it works rather than the self contained story it already presents.

Since you seem experienced any Mods you'd actually recommend for the base Grimrock game?

If by base grimrock you mean the first one I thought tomb of zarthos or whatever was a short, and sweet mod. It's Better than most. I didn't try many of grimrock 1 mods.
I definitely caution you against dungeon master lord of chaos. It's 70+ levels of nothing but corridors, and places that spawn enemies such as an invisible trigger plate spawn every time you step on them.
"Back into the dungeon" is another one that I tried, but never finished because it was just too bland. It was based on much older dungeon crawlers, and it was just too boring for me. There was nothing to see, but it does have enemies like beholders, and when one of your heroes is killed they die with anything in their inventory being deposited on the floor. It's also supposed to allow you to choose heroes to be placed in your party from portraits, but I don't know if that actually works. Maybe I'll try to beat it later.
I also tried eye of the beholder: waterdeep sewers but that one crashed on me. It was pretty neat though, and it used a different magic system.
I don't remember much about shadows of the grim moon, but I didn't like it. OH FUCK! Now I remember. I got pissed, and quit because of this one puzzle. Basically you need a set of gems color coded for a thing. You will find a red gem very early on, but it's not labeled the same as the other ones. If you play this remember the red gem you find on the level with all the ogres is not part of that puzzle. I ran around forever before I finally looked on the forums, and found the problem. It also has a few other annoying puzzles that were frustrating to solve. You might want to try it. I also tried a few others, but don't remember anything about them.
The only one you should avoid is lord of chaos because it's simply a waste of time. It also has constant screams, and scary sounds that are more like bodily noises than terrifying screeches. If you try it keep the volume down.

That did not format the way I had hoped.

i guess they like to add easter eggs? was that in a secret area atleast?

You have to use the crowbar because some barrels block the way, and the crowbar is your only option. It's completely forced, and you will hear it every time you start a new game.

So how does Modding Grimrock work anyway? I might be tempted to make a stealth based dungeon crawler but I'm afraid it's be so horrible I shouldn't even try it.

If you just want to make a dungeon just use the dungeon creator. If you want to make new assets, and code that's a bit more involved. I think there are some tutorials on jewtube, and the grimrock website has a lot of mod resources.

how do I get into grimrock? ive had it since 2012 but I only ever got 15 minutes in until I couldnt figure out where some hidden lever was

You mean that loose stone on the wall? Check the corners of the bricks.

and that should've been the biggest red flag of them all
archive.is/6ZYsc
kikestarter,not even once

Is there any way that I can play Ultima Underworld in a higher resolution, so that my mouse movement isnt fucked. I bought the gog version, and I'm enjoying it but the mouse movement is a bit of a damper on my enjoyment.

I'm on level 8, the Goromog-whatever lair with ice lizards. The Walkthrough says I need 2 rocks to proceed to level 9. I am extremely put-off by this since I wasted my rocks on switches 4+ levels back and refuse to walk / search around for a stupid rock. Do I really need a rock, or can it be just a garbage item?

If it's just a switch then yes any item should work. If it needs to be thrown then you should use a throwing star/knife in place of the rocks. I don't think grimrock calls for a rock specifically in any area. In grimrock 2 an actual rock is needed to solve one puzzle.

I have several groups that I like to use for shit's and giggles while I play grimrock. They are as follows.

My first team consisting of Giantdad, Craghack, Sandro, and sir Daniel Fortesque.
The Right Wing Shortstacks: Cute goblins, and halfling girls mostly.
All skeletons:Self explanatory
All Dwarves: again self explanatory

I am having trouble coming up with some members for two other teams. The first one is wizards consisting of blackmage(FF), skeletor, Blackwolf(Wizards), shadow weaver(she-ra), Irenicus, Dagoth Ur, and a few others. My other team is just QT brown girls right now all I have is fran for vidyah. Any suggestions for my teams would be appreciated.

Well once you can cast the spells and your back rogue has the crossbow there isn't much of a reason to keep more then a couple rocks.

if you can, you carry

Guess you found out why you should always carry rocks around.

what a bunch of nerds.

for shame, user.

If you thought that is the problem, I recommend against playing older dungeon crawlers, those medusa shields in EoB2 would make you curl up in corner and cry. And I wont even mention the shit that M&M series can throw at you.

MARKUS INFINIUM

Are there any good recent or upcoming dungeon crawlers? Last time I heard of one was LoG2 and that was years ago, but I haven't been looking.

The only one I can think of right now is grimroire, there is a thread on /tg/ about it that should have links.
>>>/tg/325962

GRIMWAH

Is there a sourceport?

There's Star Crawlers