Tfw you start winning in blitzball

this is actually a ton of fun, holy shit. What's your favorite RPG minigame? There's tons out there, but I gotta admit blitzball is really growing on me once I got gud at it.

Gwent, I guess. Kinda makes me want to go back and try that card game in FFVIII. I probably won't though.

Yea, until that psyches goalie gets up into the thirties with his blk stat.

What's her name, Holla Forums?

Hell yeah
I really hated blitzball at first but holy shit was i consumed on it by the endgame, i really wanted Square to make a full game on blitzball but well that is now a dead dream.

I really hated how by the time I got to the end of ff9 on my playthrough around 2009 I was missing one ability on a piece of equipment that could no longer be obtained on disc 4. It's my fault but I didn't become invested into the ability system until too late.

I enjoyed tetra master more than I probably should have.

I hated it as a kid and was told it was actually really good up to the point where I am now playing it, I was skeptical at first, and the first few losses felt like a grind but once I started winning it came together and I really enjoyed it.

More games in general need minigames, not necessarily of the depth of blitzball, but in short yoko taro was right when he said every RPG needs a fishing minigame.

I can't even remember the last time I played the game without touching it. It must've been back when my TV was so bad I couldn't even see the chocobo tracks so I never knew it existed.

Can't the Jecht shot remove the goalie too?

FFVII's motorcycle, nigga.

I loved the shit out of Road Rash. I loved the shit out of this too. Probably spent about 1/4 of my total playtime in FFVII on this segment alone.

They actually made this its own game but it was shut down and probably shit anyway since it was for phones.

Triple Triad was fun as fuck though

FF8 Triple Triad
I'm a sucker for card games
Also, what is it with Final Fantasy and mini-games that are better than the actual game?

It's because the minigames are usually designed in a vacuum without scenario writers, animators and artists coming and fucking it all up. Stuff like inconsistent animations, arbitrary story related constraints and level design always hold back each game's main combat systems.

Well that's bullshit, because there's no weapon store in the Garden.

Any box pushing puzzle. Tales of the Abyss especially because the rest of that game was a piece of shit.
The card game in Cold Steel was better than the actual game too, I haven't actually moved past the train yet.

this is so polarizing

Well just cut the word 'garden' from there

My nigga.

I thought you needed a certain item from a

I found it to be piss easy after the championship match, when you can replace almost everyone with actually good players.

Jecht shot removes 2 blockers. I think there was a jecht shot 2 that also removed the goalie but I never got it. For getting it on my save i would need to:
I just rolled with JS1 plus the slippery shot skill that lowered the effective BLK of the goalie by some %, never really had any issue. If I wanted JS2 in my lifetime I'd have to cheese dozens of matches 1-0 by baiting everyone into my field, passing Teedus sitting by the goalie, JS, park bus. It would still take a lot of time and would be extremely boring.

The plot championship match with the Goers is doable, it certainly is almost impossible for a new player but once you figure out the mechanics at play and how to game them it becomes merely difficult. I've done it a couple of times.

Do you even convert your cards?

I double checked, you really can't get the Lionheart that early, but it's still possible to get it on disc 1 which is still early as fuck

This thread is just reminding me that FF used to have fun mini-games before the games went completely to shit.

I don't know if any would be my favorite but Mario RPG may have had the most mini-game content. Favorite might be Overworld Zero from SS2.

Not really mini-games, but Lufia II had a ton of puzzles. And the Ancient cave was like a separate game in itself

The first match with the Luca Goers was bullshit, but figuring out how to beat them was so satisfying. After that, nothing in blitzballl is difficult again.
Going for an all-female team the next time I play through it.

is FFX enjoyable despite having such a gay main-character?

And the one good minigame the series has had in over a decade was fucking paid DLC.

hasn't every Final Fantasy main character been gay since Final Fantasy VIII?

that was localization fault

what was the original dialogue then?

Takes five seconds to find nigga.

I never played ff8

its surprisingly fun, the combat is good and a lot of the other characters are great. lulu is excellent and tidus can have some moments of actually being pretty funny like telling lulu "he's her type"

Tidus actually develops as a character and his daddy issues are actually interesting

Between his design, and how bad he is at the start, it isn't surprising that people hate him so much. First impressions are important.

I liked the snowboarding game more.

He gets better later in the game. Imagine a soccer star getting sent back into the middle ages. He would probably be out of place and a bit of a whiner at the start, but he would slowly win everyone over with his athleticism and good nature assuming they don't burn him for being a warlock because there happened to be a crop failure that year. That's Tidus in a nutshell.

No. It's linear poorly written trash.

Too bad FFX is completely shit.

Too bad FF7 remake will cut those minigames out, make them part of 30$ Gold Saucer DLC pack or just make them incredibly frustrating and not fun to play.