Roguelike recommendations

I'm looking for some good roguelikes to beat this year. And I'm running out of decent games that I haven't beaten already. If anyone has some good games I wanna hear about them. It has to be obscure, as I have played and beaten everything even remotely "mainstream" in the genre. Preferably free and not one of those "roguelite" steam babygames.

Show me what you got.

tales of maj'eyal, but thats a roguelike/arpg hybrid, though its still turn-based and tile-based
and most of the game is free

Dragon Fang Z: The Rose and the Dungeon of Time
It's a rogue-like on Switch. You play as a dragon girl trapped within the Tree of Life for some reason (the translation is really bad and full of engrish, though it has been improved somewhat in a recent patch).
The main gimmick is that killing enemies can sometimes drop "fangs", which are those tear-drop shaped things that nips love for some reason, that look like half of the yin-yang symbol. These grant abilities and passive buffs when equipped (up to 3 at a time) or you can offer it as some kind of tribute, and you will get either a slightly weaker but permanent buff, or some one-time-only ability like a mega-heal or an attack with a 50% chance for the enemy to drop a fang if you kill them with that attack.
Enemies can also evolve, either by getting hit with an evolution item (enemy golem core or a swing from an evolution staff), or by earning XP from killing their own (happens with the archer elves fairly frequently).
There are boss monsters every 10 floors or so (the floors are quite small and very similar to the Mystery Dungeon layout) and every now and then you meet someone who will then show up in your "base" to offer advice and such.
There's also a warehouse where you can send items (if you find the right box to put them in during your dungeon crawl) so you can potentially save up your good loot and the items to upgrade them, as well as the good fangs, for a good run where you're kitted out from the beginning.

Tetris

It's a roguelike.

Here's a fucking idea, just play Rogue.

Maybe start mentioning which ones you have played to begin with and which of those you liked or not.

Played this when it went free a few weeks ago and really started enjoying it once I understood how to play it.
It's a roguelike in the loosest sense of all, you start over if you die and the world is randomized.

okay whats the difference between roguelike and roguelite?

A rogue-like actually plays like Rogue, which is an actual game. Like Nethack.
A rogue-lite takes elements from Rogue (like random levels or progression, loot, etc) but doesn't play like Rogue (i.e. not a grid-based turn-based top-down game that can be played in a terminal). Like FTL.

Roguelike: Turnbased, Permadeath, procedurally generated areas, etc. The whole package
Roguelite: Literally whaterever the fuck but weapon names are sortof randomly generated and the game is not meant to be ""EASY"" so they comepare themselves to roguelikes like the fucking mindless ignorant sheep they are

Unreal World is really good.

Roguelike seems like a genre devs came up with as a joke comprised of piss poor design decisions but then it sold well because people are fucking retards so they just sort of ran with it.

ah thank you

The entire point is to completely skip the process of creating art, models, etc. And to use all that time instead on refining mechanics like enviromental interactivity or npc behaviour. Many Roguelikes that NOW have a tileset, were completely ascii originally and it was fans who loved the games and didnt know how to code who created the graphics for them.

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding
All other options are unacceptable, OP. Man up.

Caves of Qud is loads of fun. It's like Thundarr the Barbarian where it's post-apocalyptic but it's also fantastical and so far after the apocalypse it doesn't matter. You can play as either a pure strain human from a walled city or one of the myriad of mutants with different abilities. You can sword and board, bow and arrow, use guns, whatever. It's on steam but it's pretty cheap. The dev updates it weekly and the mod scene is already a burgeoning thing.

Shiren the Wanderer for SNES.

How about Sacred?!

Wait are you saying you beat IVAN?

If you like Lovecraft shit Infra Arcana is pretty fun. Very difficult and pretty obscure. Also free.

Personally, I'd recommend FTL, Spelunky, even Rogue Legacy.

If you think about it, even a game like La Mulana is a Roguelike because it might not be randomized per se, but it

I'm glad you made this thread, OP. I was thinking of dipping into the Roguelike genre proper by trying one of the non-Tales of Maj'Eyal Angband games, but I'm not sure which to start with.

I was considering Steamband for the turn-of-the-century setting, or else Zangband or one of its descendants for being very fleshed out ordinary fantasy Angband, maybe Tales of Middle Earth or Z+ Angband since they're the most recently updated. I also looked at Xenomarine briefly, which looked neat as a survival-horror graphical game. Does anyone have experience with any of these?

Here you go fam
>>>/htg/12380

So far the thread has been okay, but I'm looking for more obscure titles.
I do really mean obscure, something a big fan of the of the genre hasn't heard of.
Post whatever you know though, other people might find a good one they haven't played.

Generally if it's free, it is going to be a rougelike and not a roguelite.
"Roguelite" in my eyes is when you water down roguelike characteristics for a more casual audience.
That's not a technical definition, like the Berlin whatever, but that has generally been my experience.

lol I'm still working on that one.
Gets kind of monotonous though.

Yeah, the high priest too.
Infra Arcana, Caves of Qud, IVAN.
Most of those "not that popular but known" games, I've played.

Ziggurat would be more fun if there were more room-types.

Hyperrogue
The Slimy Lichmummy
Pixel Dungeon Unleashed
PD Shattered
Yet Another Pixel Dungeon

Deep in the Dark
Piraterogue
Gaia's Belly
Tartarus
Ocean Blue
Длг алгите
WD:S
Clank
Gear rogue

Sword of the Star: the pit.
Pretty run to the mill. Field of sigh, door unlocking, skill checks, crafting and rng. I've played 200h and only beaten the game twice.

Any cyberpunk roguelikes? Preferably with body modification? I've done C:DDA but I need more.

Hold on just a second nigger, I've been trying to beat IA with a ghoul for a month and can't even begin to pierce the hymen of the first 10 levels. Any tips?

I don't know of one off the top of my head but a cyberpunk roguelike with bodymod (and the psychosis system from Cyberpunk) would be fucking sweet.
There are roguelites where you swap body parts like Neurovoider, but you're a robot not a person. And there's Neon Chrome, which is good but not great. They're both twin-stick shooters.
P.S.
Please dont fucking kill me Mr. Moose.

Hard time is the pinnacle roguelike

Nice. I started The Slimy Lichmummy, I think this will tide me over for a while.
Can't find some of these games though unfortunately, even though they look interesting.

A pleasure to reminisce. But it was a while ago and I played a rogue though, can't remember a lot.
There was one big bullshit moment if you ever get very far(if you mind a minor spoiler):

You NEED an electric gun to stunlock the final boss, so don't forget to grab one and keep enough ammo on hand
This stupid thing fucked me over the first time I got that far, really ruined the mood.
Also I remember spending as much time grinding on each level as possible, but it's important to know when to walk away, sanity comes first.
And I finished up the game with 15% insanity according to the victory screen, so it doesn't get too much worse later on.

I just found a strategy.txt I had saved from back then, here's what looks like was my outline for victory:
1.Play as a rogue
2.start with dexterity
3.do not get greedy and aquire treasure hunter too soon, wait until you are well protected
Get these traits in this order:
-Lithe
-Imperceptable
-Treasure hunter
-Moblie
-Cool headed
after aquiring all of these get whatever other traits you want
4.If you do not have a +3-5 weapon, then fight as little as possible
5.Do not open tombs or cacoons until you have treasure hunter, it is not worth it
6.Do not identify potions and manuscripts with more than 60 shock, it is too risky
7.Do not fight the axe undead with melee weapons
8.Do not wear the leather jacket when fighting the wolves outside the church, but wear it as soon as getting in
9.Keep calm, do not lose your temper
10.At around level 25 stop fighting and just run

I don't remember the context to a lot of this but maybe you will? Don't know if that will help your ghouls.
Making these kinds of plans has helped me crack a number of tougher rougelikes, I really recommend them.

I see this one played a lot, that and brouge.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

Izuna 2

It's more of a rogue-lite, since there's no perma-death. You lose everything on you, all your money, and I think any exp you gained after entering the dungeon - but you don't die. There's a ton of characters to level, and you get to take two of them into a dungeon at a time and switch back and forth - as well as the occasional team-attack.

It's ok… but it's got cute girls, what the fuck more do you want.

Fuck the faggot who censored the pic, and fuck it being the only screenshot of the scene I could find on Jewgle images.

Why would you ruin perfectly good anime tiddies like that?

That's supposed to be the easiest class to win with. Ghoul is apparently underpowered as fuck even after the small patches that buffed him a bit.

I just wanted to win with Ghoul to become the new eldritch horror from which everyone would run, but that focus on melee, unarmed combat (wanna use a ranged weapon? You better just be making noise because you sure as hell aren't going to hit jack shit) and having corpses as your only source of healing make me think that he has to be a very offensive character that needs to play very differently from the other classes. In reality, this is a game that must be played very defensively, regardless of class, because of how fragile all characters are. Therefore, I'm at my wit's end as to what to do with that fucking piece of shit class.

It's probably not obscure enough, but I liked the idea of One Way Heroics.

animay titties are for toddlers

Speaking of TOME, is there a good keyboard layout for a keyboard without the numpad? I hate using the mouse for roguelikes that have the option and i cant move diagonal or wait in place.

And it doesn't even show anything.

Is Doom RL any good? The mod for regular Doom is pretty nice.

The last time i played it it was really fun, but that was before they added tile sets.

Have you played Adom? 3.0.6 was very recently released as public release.

I never could figure out what the point of that game was other than to build a village and defend it at night. Seemed like a really simplified tower defense.

(For convenience, I'll mark free ones with (F) )

Easy(ish)
Build a class out of several skills (Weapon skills, some casting abilities, crafting, etc). These skills fall under Warrior, Rogue, or Wizard, and each level you gain in one of these Archetypes gives you stats along their specialties (In addition to what the skill gives you.) Lots of mods, though some add questionable, unbalanced content. Doesn't take itself seriously, but pokes fun in all directions. Not much internet may-may humor here, at least relatively speaking.

Listed as Easy because there's no real winstate and you set your own goals, the Adventurer mode basically acts as a roguelike. Fucking bananas combat system where each organ and bodypart has several layers (Skin, fat, muscle, bone) and HP. You build, basically, a setting from scratch each time you play, but you can also keep playing in the same world as much as you like.
Fortress Mode can be fairly easy as well if you know how and understand how Sieges work.

MUTATIONS: The Roguelike, you're basically playing in the post-post-post apocalypse. Playing as a Esper (Mental mutations only) can be fairly easy, so long as you prioritize survival over immediate victory. Pure human takes a bit more work, but also yields impressive results if you go tech.

Middling
Doom as a roguelike. Turns are based on speed ticking, not hard turns, so faster things 'go' more often and slower things less. Things that have moved recently have an evasion bonus. Reloading takes time. Your character is basically built on feats you get each level, and you can customize your equipment to a degree. Very fun, and even more fun once you understand the flow and take your turns faster.

Most Roguelike games function on a 'food clock'. (Qud, DF, and some others on this list do - DoomRL does not spawn new enemies over time and thus doesn't need one.) The game design function of the food clock is to keep you descending: Your character must eat, food is limited by floor, and so staying on one floor and farming for levels and items is not viable. Thus, you must progress, else face starvation, and face stronger foes. Cogmind subverts this by having the levels slowly scout you out, notice you, and send progressively stronger enemies your way. Work quickly, salvage fast, or die.
You play as a robotic "core" that can have various items strapped to it - these function as both armor and whatever else they do. Movement items determine your speed, weapons allow you to deal damage without ramming, and armor protects your core. There is also 'function' items that do shit like give you radar. You can also hack terminals for information, items, and later on, subvert the enemy 'economy'.

Basically a shinier, prettier Rogue.
No, really. There's not much more to say about it. It's simple, to the point, and enjoyable.

Despite some questionable patches, this remains a very solid roguelike with some great mechanics.

Very freeform Roguelike with very little direction. Read some documentation on it, it's kinda impossible to explain here with any sense of brevity.

Hard
A roguelike that uses 2nd edition DnD rules. Yep. Crashes often, but has some really interesting mechanics behind it. Casters are fucking bananas to play, and I'm not sure if the game actually has a wincon yet because it's not really done.

Not really well-designed and runs on Flash (Eugh). Only go for it for the novelty, and make sure to pirate it. Only hard in the sense that early death is hilariously common and total shit (YOU DIED FROM NOT HAVING SHOES, TRY AGAIN AND HOPE FOR SHOES? Y/N/FUCKTHIS )

Derivatives of Angband and Nethack. Most should be free, but I've seen some on the store. These games like to swing a big horse cock in your face branded MECHANICS and DEPTH and not stop until you've made sense of the way shit works.

Unique
Descend into a catacomb and try not to go fucking bonkers as you deal with the occult. Very fun, but hard as balls. Has a neat feature where you have to walk through a graveyard of all your past losses to get to the dungeon, not to mention sanity effects.

Nethack-likes really are held together by nothing but endless mechanics..Interacting interwoven conditional mechanics all the way down. The cockatrice and its kin are probably one of the better examples.
Cockatrice, turns you into stone when you touch it and by some other means as well. Dead.
Cockatrice, kill it without touching it. Get its corpse. Dead.
Dead cockatrice, wield it while wearing gloves. Shit yeah, turning other fuckers into stone.
Succubus seduces you and strips you of your gloves while you're wielding the corpse. Dead.
Or you fall pray to the dozens of other options of either tripping and falling on it or losing your gloves while not having one of the many conditions where it wouldn't instantly murder you.

You can't prepare for everything, you can't prepare for what you don't know, everything you don't know can and will kill you in some stupid way, like expecting a trap to only be triggerable once. And then the game always has a minute chance of throwing something at you to completely ruin everything regardless of what you do. Fortunately, those are very rare and generally only happen in the earliest part of the game.

Tickles the ol' autism bone in that certain way.

It's not really explained, had to google it myself to find out.
Apparently when you get to a certain point in the game you can create knights. These knights will go to the farthest border of your kingdom and wait there with a bunch of archers during the day.

If you pay four coins they'll go out into the forest, reach a portal and start attacking it. You need to destroy four portals in total.

Dissapointing, but saved anyhow.

Fuuka's a cutie.

I spent so much time learning the shit in NetHack that I don't want to do it again for other roguelikes. A knowledge of a strategy is required, too, since leveling up makes tougher monsters spawn earlier, so players better fart up some better gear along the way.

CHRONICON !!! Basically infinite end game and amazing style and classes. Very fun spend 35hrs in 4daya playing it ….

I know that face

most of i've played have been mentioned so i'll just add two that seem to slip btween the cracks more often than not
ADOM
ToME

Any good roguelike with guns?

doomrl

But is it turnbased?

I swear I knew this kid in elementary. What's his name?

Caves of Qud has guns from flintlock muskets to miniguns and plasma rifles.

yes, you have to take roughly 60 turns in a second.

Cataclysm and you can even get autistic with ammo pouches speeding up reloads and all sorts of attachments.

ZHP
theres an overarching story and permanent upgrades but the core gameplay is 100% roguelike

Does P:MD count