/mg/- Magic General

Games about magic/largely feature magic here. Specifically I'm curious if any anons know of games where the whole point of it is just making new magic spells (spell creation) and burning down villages and stuff.
I've heard morrowind can be good for that but I'm unsure of the exact degree of freedom you're given.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ybbM17r7uPw
youtube.com/watch?v=xwVfFXZoMRg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Arx Fatalis has you have to draw the runes of magic with your mouse.
Morrowind and Oblivion had stupidly OP spell creation.
Dragon's Dogma has the best visual magic of a game, summon tornadoes on a group of bandits, meteor storms, giant icicles etc.

There are plenty of games that include magic as a playstyle choice, like Tales of Maj'eyal and pretty much every other RPG game out there. ToME is free on their website, btw, I highly recommend giving it a try. If you want a game that focuses purely on magic, then I'd suggest Magicka.

Which game has the best lore for magic? I don't mean esoteric shit stapled on top a generic magic system.

Morrowind?

I always thought this was pretty good, even though it's a joke in a comic and not necessarily a game.
As a muse I've written a couple numbered lists for "rules of magic", and in a couple of them mana is a physical, tangible substance.
Will post if anons are bored enough to care.

I've played magicka, it is pretty good.

RTT where you play a wizard in third person and summon troops & use spells
youtube.com/watch?v=ybbM17r7uPw
got some sort of spell creation system and plays like a standard FPS, don't know much about it - but seemed like a halfassed idea when I checked it out awhile ago
youtube.com/watch?v=xwVfFXZoMRg

For the love of fucking god, stop doing that.

Battlemage is pretty dull.

Not strictly focused on spell creation, but if you go full mage, there is some great fun to be had. The physics based spells are crazy as fuck with the clunky and glitchy engine. The game in general is not very good though, but luckily it's cheap to buy or just yar har it.

Seconding Sacrifice. Great game, but It's a bit old and it shows. Reboot/remaster when?

Also, don't make pointless generals. The thread is fine as it is.

Dragon's Dogma, why can't we have a game about being a Wizard fucking entire armies with our spellcraft? also Kingdoms of Amalur had potential, but it was pretty much had the depth of a shitty MMO.

What about Runescape?

Eternal Darkness has a rune system that lets you create spells, but there are only 12 possible spells so it's not really a proper spell creation system. Still, the idea has a lot of potential and should be expanded on.

Anyway, what's everyone's favorite type of magic? We've had these threads and people here like elemental magic, summoning, curses, divination, time warping and all sorts of other stuff. As for me, I love being an enchanter and creating magical weapons and armor. It gets even better if Magitek is involved.

just play as schierke in the berserk musou :^)

pic related

What games let me play as a Muscle Wizard?

Warframe

two worlds 2 looks hilarious

Oxygen Wizard

Think about the domain of powers you'd have available to you for spells, just by manipulating the presence, or creation/destruction of Oxygen.

Actually not a bad idea… but what about this?

Breathable air needs nitrogen too, so unless you're fine with huffing pure oxygen or combining it with whatever toxic air is nearby, you're still fucked.
Removing oxygen does not generate carbon dioxide.
this one works
so does this
and this
Only if the metal has exposed, uncorroded material. Otherwise it'll corrode the outer layer but not penetrate unless the metal flakes off by itself.

Not always. Under ideal circumstances, air is at 101.33 kPa, and consists of 20% Oxygen and 80% Nitrogen. Because of the law of partial pressures, oxygen in the air is effectively at 20.27 kPa, so as long as you're breathing in 100% oxygen at that low of a pressure, you should be fine. Mostly.

Correct, but an excess of oxygen is bad for plants, because it displaces the CO2 that IS present. Likewise, removing O2 will ensure a carbon rich environment

We're assuming control over the oxygen, so you could in theory rip the outer layer off, if it's oxidized. Iron is prone to this and flaking, but stainless steel is not.

That was my point about mixing it with the surrounding toxic air. Unless you're only problem is not enough oxygen and the rest of the air is some inert or harmless gas, then you're pretty screwed. You couldn't breath in any sort of liquid either.

Only if there is carbon dioxide to begin with

If we're playing with those rules then you can control most organic compounds and would be pretty fucking overpowered.

You have the worst understanding in biology, physiology, basic physics and chemistry, and life and the world in general, I have ever seen in this hippie collective menstruating earth-achemy board.
Have fun Mc Cleaning for the rest of your life. But what you have there might be considered a mental disability. or an overdone bait no one cares about. Practically same thing

Are you really this mad over that user? Jesus it's not the most well described posts but I've certainly seen worse.

Oh boy are you going to HATE Jojos Bizarre Adventure

Go easy user.

oh fuck off.

I want a game where magic is complex. More than "Press X to fireball".
One person mentioned an idea of making spellmaking similar to codewriting, and I wouldn't mind that. Sure you could become broken, but you can become broken if you fuck up. Also we don't have a good cybermancy game and that sort of gimmick could very well be it.

Either way I want magic to feel like something more than pressing a button for a particle effect.

(faggot)

Bloodborne. The Kos Parasite stays as a fist attack when you don't have the milkweed rune. So you get punches that scale off your arcane stat.

Since no games really seem to get what I was craving, I was playing around with the idea of making a game that's literally just about making the most OP spells you can and testing them out on the unlucky populace. Would have worked (in theory) somewhat like bullet creation in god eater Too bad I'm super lazy.

DOMINIONS

>TFW the only time you really got to use ancient magicks was in minigames because you were poor but still enjoyed it

Apparently Dragon's Dogma has memory leaks out the anus, everytime I launch it, it kills browser tabs.
Nice.

I've played the game for hundreds of hours and haven't experienced this. Never saw it mentioned in the old threads either.

The entire idea behind Lichdom: Battlemage is that you craft your own spells.

It starts off pretty slow, but eventually you get enough options for it to become fun.

Oxygen wizard with a lighter means you can create a "wick" of oxygen that leads to a created mass of oxygen for a big explosion, you could do it with multiple "wicks" too.

If I want a magic game, I want to be able to customize or boost spells with additional effects like Magicmaker and Tower of the Archmage.
Magicmaker is ok for an indieshit, Tower is a flash game.

maybe M&B Bannerlord will have magic mods
pretty sure there are even some for Warband but they're probably broken as heck

The Horde Lands mod for classic Mount&Blade had a magic system in it.
It was actually useful because a couple of the village scenes had bugged Nervous Man spawns placing him outside the navigable area, but you could still nuke him from afar with magic without even talking to him which would complete the mission.

Just downloaded the demo- it has a crude humor which ends up leaving a little charm and the spell creation is neat as well. Not bad might give it a pirate