Nipponese Learning Thread: 明けましておめでとう

So, you wanna learn the Nipponese, huh? Well, you've come to the right thread. You know the drill; All of the relevant resources are available below. It's not an official list or anything, just an OP I threw together from items taken from previous threads. If you have any suggestions on how this list can be improved, then please don't hesitate to say something.

Learn the Kana. Start with Hiragana and then move on to Katakana. Yes, you need both, and yes stroke order is important. Use Realkana or Kana Invaders for spaced repetition. Alternatively, you can use the Anki deck, but I'd recommend the first two. Tae Kim has a Kana diagram on his website, and you can use KanjiVG for pretty much any character.

You have to learn vocabulary and grammar in order to speak and understand the language. Some will tell you to grind the Core2k/6k deck until you're blue in the face, others will tell you that grammar is more important. Truth is, you need both, but it doesn't really matter which one you decide to do first. You're teaching yourself here, so you move at your own pace and do what you're most receptive to. If you want grammar first, then Tae Kim has a great introductory grammar guide, there are numerous grammar related videos in user's all-in-one-Anki-package, IMABI has an active forums and an abundance of information on grammar, and there's always YouTube if you're lazy. On the other hand, if you want to learn vocab first, then grab the Core2k/6k and grind until you're blue in the face. For mnemonics, see Kanji Damage.

That's what these threads are for aside from the obligatory shitposting. You shouldn't assume that anyone here knows more than you, but there are anons here who are willing to help. Try to find shit out on your own, for fuck's sake, but if you're stumped, then maybe someone will have something to say that can point you in the right direction.

Threadly reminder:
YOU CAN LEARN JAPANESE

old DJT guide: docs.google.com/document/d/1H8lw5gnep7B_uZAbHLfZPWxJlzpykP5H901y6xEYVsk/edit#
new DJT guide: djtguide.neocities.org/
pastebin.com/w0gRFM0c

Anki: apps.ankiweb.net/
Core 2k/6k: mega.nz/#!QIQywAAZ!g6wRM6KvDVmLxq7X5xLrvaw7HZGyYULUkT_YDtQdgfU
Core2k/6k content: core6000.neocities.org/
user's Japanese Learner Anki package: mega.nz/#!14YTmKjZ!A_Ac110yAfLNE6tIgf5U_DjJeiaccLg3RGOHVvI0aIk

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Shinjitai_and_Simplified_characters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Kokuji
jisho.org/search/油断も隙もない
drive.google.com/file/d/184IRuAzKMU3O8ZLCzYA6GeRnmBzfNa9k/view?usp=drivesdk
duolingo.com/research
youtube.com/channel/UC4YaOt1yT-ZeyB0OmxHgolA
youtube.com/channel/UCbFwe3COkDrbNsbMyGNCsDg
youtube.com/channel/UCMYtONm441rBogWK_xPH9HA
youtube.com/channel/UCQYADFw7xEJ9oZSM5ZbqyBw
jisho.org/search/言 #kanji
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Memorizing_the_Hiragana/Dakuten
guidetojapanese.org/casual.html#part8
lavender.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1514765226/
iqdb.org/
vndb.org/v/all
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for ビネス

Reminder that Japanese is just a lame Pacific Islander language full of English loanwords and Chinese Pigin

Remember, no Japanese.

It boggles the mind that human beings would want to go to the trouble of learning a language of subhuman degenerates

Did the paul brother's wander into this thread, like they wandered into the japanese suicide forest?

Any decent ネトゲ I can play without a VPN? With one? Why is there so many of these vidya isekai shits if there's no games?

I will starting attending Mandarin classes tomorrow.
Wish me luck.
Hope I can tank classes+university+job.

beat me to it

Well, it's not much of a "want to learn Mandarin". Mostly, I want to learn another language. I remember learning English and I don't know where I would be today without it.
Mandarin is really important for my field(specially where I live).
I would love to learn Japanese too but it's not going to get me many places. Of course, I have no doubts that for my free time Japanese would be better. Playing obscure touhou fan games, not having to deal with shitty translations(or wait for them), lurking on Japanese textboards and such.

I don't know your situation but please take a minute and consider that there are probably a shitload of people who are in or entering your field who speak better Mandarin than you'll be able to learn in a decade because they were born speaking it and ask yourself if there really isn't a better way to advance yourself.

Well, if they are native Mandarin speakers they are not native *my language speakers. Also, english(basic to be fair)+native language+mandarin is pretty great.
Of course, there are people out there who speak more than 10 different languages.
Sincerely, I don't know what else I could do to advance on my field other than getting a job, learning how to SolidWorks™ and learning Mandarin.

Flashcard apps discussion?
I know a lot of you use Anki. I was interested in it because of its feature set and spaced repetition, but I felt that I didn't trust my self to actually learn from normal flashcards if I didn't have something to hold me accountable when I got it wrong.
I have been using Quizlet, because it's what I used to learn Spanish, because it's what my teacher made us use. I used the old "learn" (now "read") because I feel like I learn better when I have something to tell me "you got this wrong" and I can't just gloss over them or say that I was close enough, which I tend to do when I do typical flashcards alone. When they introduced the new "learn" I switched to it because the gradually escalating difficulty and the built in testing of both eng>nip and nip>eng at the same time seemed really useful. I also appreciate that it has automatically generated pronunciations for any word you type in it, and I like having access to the other modes (esp. "test" and "spell").
The problem is that it has no built in Spaced Repetition, unless you're willing to pay for a subscription, and after realizing how much I was hurting myself by not doing spaced repetition I felt the need to change my routine somehow.
I'm currently testing out memrise. It has built in spaced repetition, and it tells you if you got it wrong so you can't fake it. unfortunately it doesn't have built in audio unless you copy words directly form their premade Japanese course, I find the interface clunky and slow (and somewhat bugged), and I don't understand how courses/levels work and how to properly break-up and subdivide my cards. I would also have to manually migrate all my cards from Quizlet to Memrise at some point if I switched over (~500 cards at right now).
I considered trying to do spaced repetition manually in Quizlet. It breaks down your cards by most-least missed and new cards and allows you to do them separately, so the idea would be that I do a certain amount from the general deck each day, then do a certain amount of my most missed cards separately.
Anyone using something besides one of these that they'd recommend? Anyone have any tips to share for the one they are using?

Just learn to stop doing this and use Anki.

I'd rather just not
The thing is that it's a very pervasive and subtle thing. It happens most severely when I'm stressed or burnt out with a card, but even when I'm just relaxed I'll unconsciously slip over subtle things, often not even realizing that I did them wrong.
I just feel that I will inevitably learn more if the app I'm using forces me to remember everything exactly as I intended to when I made the deck, and doesn't allow the possibility in the first place.

Going by what you said in
>I'd rather just not
you don't want to try. You want a program that just does everything for you, and you don't want the responsibility of pressing the "again" button. Why don't you go outside and actually use Japanese in your daily life? Years of grinding flashcards in your room doesn't even come close to how much you'll learn in just weeks of speaking with real people in bars.

top notch shitposting user

This is probably your best bet if you want to use flashcards and spaced repetition to study. There's a reason a lot of us use Anki. Customize card formats to better fit your liking or make your own deck even.

every app I listed lets you make your own deck (Memrise tries to hide it for some reason, though). I don't think I personally would get as much value out of Anki's advanced features as I would lose giving up varied question types and being forced to do it correctly.

What 'advanced features' of Anki do you make use of how does it boost your learning?

I don't use Anki, user, that was the point of the post.
That said, it allows custom card formatting, sub decks, and built in spaced repetition. Those are the ones I'm aware of off the top of my head.

change it to

It should be 日本語をマスターできるよ ffs

So is there a game pair any of you anons working on? Like, comparing what you know of moon & playing the original vs what the localized version came to be?

Just curious. Planning on doing this with Lunar: Eternal Blue.

Apparently, moving to a decaying town in exchange of workforce and repopulation is getting really popular everywhere, anyone knows if it's a thing in japan too?

Grabbed yotsuba, is there a good place for trying to understand this? The resource pack comes with a handful of sentences explanations and I know most of the vocab already this is just my first attempt at actually trying to read

I can understand these words individually but I can't think how they come together to make a coherent sentence.

There still a lot to see >>>/a/771425

Chink is going to get you to many shitty places that may or may not kill you.

Wait, were you the guy who claim to be studying in a STEM-related major (And God help, possibly Engineering?) while also working on a job in the previous thread?
If that's true, congratulations then. I doubt you'll find people diligent enough to relate, let alone giving you advice on your highly demanding lifestyle.

t. brainlet

By the way, where do you live? Somewhere close to Taiwan or Singapore?

Split the sentence into a set of phrases demarcated by particles. Translate them one by one, put all the translation together and infer the general message.
Easymodo in spoilers.
>おまえさ、
>近所に
>あいさつで
>配る粗品とか
>用意してるか

Have you read through a grammar guide?

CAN'T

Are you preparing to meet the neighbors? I not just realised it was 用意 and not 用事 I think that's the custom, to give out gifts, right?

Genki 1, most of genki 2, good chunk of tae kims guide as well.

No, although you're halfway to the real meaning. Keep going.
Yes
, and giving gift IS the topic of the sentence.
Sorry, I may have split it wrong, the phrase >あいさつで配る粗品とか seem to describe one noun, not two, so it might be illegible to split it into two phrases.

are you preparing gifts for the neighbors (to greet them)

Try Phantasy Star Online 2

Good, 4/5-way there.
Now re-examine the meanings of each words.
近所 doesn't mean neighbour

Can anyone understand what Hotsuma is saying during these kill screens? I think the first one is 「ころみお」 but I'm not so sure. I can't even make out the second one.

Is the first one 「滅びろ」? Is he basically commanding the things he's cutting down to be destroyed?

That might have been me. Electrical engineering to be specific. It's tough balancing it all, but I'm still studying. If it's me you're referring to, I'm in burgerland. I don't browse these threads often because I'm studying or with the family on my final days off of winter break.

Keep at it man, I did EE as well but dropped out, does your course make you take ~15 classes entirely unrelated to electricity like mine did?

Yeah. Second might be 許せん, but it's hard to hear with the music that loud.

Yes, this upcoming semester features no electrical classes, it's all bullshit like art and such, but I am excited for linear algebra. I'm still fairly early in the program, but next semester and onwards I'll be balls deep in it.

i know it means neighborhood, i just wouldn't say it that way

yare yare daze

Hope it's worth the money mates.

Then you're doing it wrong. それでも頑張らないとならんな、我が後輩よ。
The sentence was not about giving gifts to your neighbours. Ever seen any Japanese person handing out free tissues to strangers in a public place, on cartoon or real life? This is the last clue I'd give to you.

That is what the sentence is about actually.

It would help to have the actual manga page for context.

Yotsuba and her father move into their new home. A family friend helps them unload the moving truck.

Yeah, they are talking about the neighbors.

Did you guys do your reps today!? I think my kanji's getting pretty nice

I'll agree, your kanji is really nice.

Thank you user. now do your reps

How do i get better at reading and comprehension? Why is parsing so difficult?
t.reading some shitty VN called Unred Night

Learn grammar nigger. If you are having trouble parsing, you either didn't read or didn't understand Tae Kim.

parsing is all practice, once you get some practice you'll find that you tend to recognize kanji you know extremely quickly.

Tae Kim isn't the perfectly complete source of all knowledge on the Japanese language, so saying "lol just read Tae Kim nigger" is shit advice. The stuff that user is having trouble with may not even be covered in that guide.

You need to figure out what your specific problem is. Very likely it's either you don't know the vocabulary well enough to identify word boundaries, or you don't know the grammar well enough to identify phrasal structure, or maybe even both.
If it's the former then you need to learn the vocabulary of what you're reading.
If it's the former you need to practice the grammar more. Assuming you have learned the grammar before, that doesn't mean going back and reviewing it, it means finding practice activities on the subjects and doing them; you can start by looking for them in Genki. You can probably ignore anything to do with sentence-final forms like verb inflection and sentence-ending particles, because they shouldn't be what's causing you trouble spitting up phrases.

You get better by reading more.

about how long does it take to be able to read basic Japanese? I've just about memorized all of Hiragana and the variations.

A long time.

You'll have to learn katakana, and a lot of kanji (well, you can push kanji a bit later if the material has furigana, but it's not necessarily a wise tactic) and vocabulary and grammar before you can even read basic things.

I'm a retard, so I won't give a time estimate, because it would be completely off.

shiet, guess I'll just keep dedicating a couple hours a day to it and when it happens it happens.

That's the right attitude to approach it with.

Like a year or two to start perhaps. You won't understand everything you read at first though, it will take a lot of practice beyond that.

It depends on what you mean by "basic". If you're doing reading practice from controlled sources then it's like two weeks.
If you're talking about like children's / young adult games/manga/anime, then probably a couple years to be able to understand enough to fill the rest in by context the majority of the time.

Ok faggots. I have until May to get to N2 level. Im currently a strong N5, borderline N4. Can I do it? Any strategies or tips?

Oh yeah, I also know 4000 chinese hanzi, so I will breeze through the kanji and dont really need to study them much.

I would normally tell you not to rush. Good luck, hope you don't burn out.

I think I just need to study vocab and grammar to make it to N2 by May.

no.
That said, immerse yourself in Japanese even if you don't understand it yet. Normally I recommend following Genki but checking everything it says about grammar against another source because it tends to over simplify, but I don't even know if you have time for that. I mean the point of using Genki as opposed to a different grammar guide is that it gives you plenty of practice, but do you even have time to practice?

It's certainly easily readable; not messy, it does give me that Japanese learner handwriting impression though. I'm relatively happy with how most kanji I write turn out, save for a few radicals, but my kana often come out ugly since most writing I do is study to aid character recognition. Although I'll never have any practical use for it, I'd like to maybe learn to write kana in somewhat cursive fashion one day as I like the way it looks.

Anyway, if you succeed, please don't post it here, otherwise I'll have to commit sudoku.

Going through archive.org found a japanese phrase book ww2 by the war department in 1943. There's a lot of old texts on the archive going back to the late 1800s. The textbook back then are honestly awful, no furigana, sometimes all romanji. I count my blessings: rikaichan, e-jisho, some good grammar books, and endless amounts of RAW material.

Probably because they weren't teaching people to speak the language so much as they were teaching people how to understand things on a basic level.

meeng-ee for "migi"? WTF.

Certain Japanese dialects have pre-nasalized voiced stops (/g/ > [ᵑɡ]) which would sound like /ŋg/ to an english speaker, and I think they were more widespread during WWII.

助けてくれ

加勢を頼む

I bet the army is full of absolute retards when there's a draft anyway

True, we should replace that 非漢字圏-scrub-friendly memeguide with Imabi.
Speaking of which, would anyone please update our Imabi PDF in the Resource? Imabi has made new articles few months after the last PDF was made.

And those are like 70% of all the challenges in learning Japanese. As someone who has learned both I'd say that you might be really surprised or even devastated at how different the logic behind these two languages once you've progressed beyond N4.
The Traditional or the Simplified one? According to a personal observation, the current character set Japanese use now (the 新字体) is closer to Traditional than Simplified ones, and they still preserve entries of Traditional Chinese characters in their dictionaries (for use in Japanese language they call those 旧字体, otherwise 繁体字, but really they're just the same except for reading)

Picture 1&2 seem really cool. The 旧字体 helps Japan be in touch with other Sino-phone countries at the time while katakana is just simpler than hiragana.
Had they stayed treating 外来語 like they did 敵性語 in WW2 times, we wouldn't have to deal with silly minced vocabularies like ラノベ.

加勢を頼む

Most of them are, but for the nth time please do not disrespect them further. They're the ones willing to slam their heads to the ground and lose 30 IQ points for the safety of others (or for Burgeristanis, (((others))) ), mind you.

What are you referring to?

I didn't have the motivation yesterday to learn for my upcoming exam, so I accidentally ended up reading the first volume of yotsubato. Now what?

I'm actually in the process of enlisting in the army
I hadn't meant any disrespect, just that I bet the average IQ/drive to learn drops quite a bit when they're drawing lotteries for soldiers.

Look for 今日・いまび.pdf in the cornucopia 教本 section of the 'DJT guide' site.
You should give it a read; its approach to grammar is very comprehensive, several times that of Tae Kim's, the only drawback I can remember is that you might have to learn vocabularies reserved for linguistics, so it's not really scrub-friendly.

Before I forget

Good luck for the test, and don't forget to have fun with your newfound knowledge.

If you can't supress your jealousy for your friends here at fullchan, you might as well commit sudoku now.

I dunno who runs that site, they may not even come to this thread.

Do your daily grind, unless if you're reading yotsubato in raw and the exam level is no higher than N4, which in that case, you don't have to stop reading since that's also a way to practice. Find some way to challenge yourself sometimes user.

One learns new funny shit everyday, but this one is pretty fucked up. Where is it happening?

Welp, shame. I just hope the site admin isn't a cuckchanner or a plebbitor.

I was talking about the US draft, which I was enacted during WW2 and Vietnam War. I don't think it's been invoked since, but every adult in the US still has to register for it just incase.

that's supposed to say "which was" not "which I was"

Not true, though women have equal responsibly to children so it's an easy mistake to make.
t. MRA

US mil? I'm in Canadian mil, and super jealous of your language learning opportunities, I'd kill to be posted to Japan. Well in reality it's probably a lot harder to get sent to language school. Good luck, hope you get something good out of it.

sage for off-topic

committed

Well, I should be above N4, at least with grammar and individual kanji (but I never really looked into the levels, I don't care about JLPT). Vocabulary, on the other hand…

I realized there's a reading pack for the second volume too, so I'll read that too, at least I don't have to suck with the unguessable "homoerotic slang", as the DJT guide puts it.

They only teach you Arabic and Farsi, maybe Tagalog at language school nowadays. There's enough bases that I have a decent chance of ending up in Japan, but what happens happens.

I just checked and it looks like you guys have no overseas bases. If that's really the case, ouch, I'm sorry user

I don't know why the romanji in this really bothers me and the "important signs" don't say how they're pronounced, just that 入口 is entrance. Off topic, but I just love those old military books. I got me a copy of pic related at a library book sale for about two dollars a year ago, and it's just fun reading through it. Being published in 1956, it's before transistors were widely spread out, so logic is very primitive, if non-existent in it, and it just reads like one of those old propaganda films.

What's a good kanji book for practicing the stroke orders of the 2000+ characters?

I learned stroke order through RtK. You learn to intuit stroke order after going through a couple hundred kanji and get used to radicals. What I'd like to try is practice writing all the radicals, there's only about 200 of them, so it's no big deal. After that it's just a matter of fitting them together, and they usually follow the order: top left, bottom left, top righ, bottom right.

It's been I think 2 years since I've done RtK, and forgot everything it taught, but I have no issues with stoke order. Once you get used to it, it's second nature. You'll even start wanting to change your stroke order for english.

Did you only have the first volume of RtK or all three of them?

I never implied that it was. But it contains enough grammatical information that one should be able to parse Japanese text after reading and understanding all the material, FFS. If you can't parse, then you obviously don't really understand basic grammar and don't recognize basic particles and verb endings.

Don't be an idiot, the only country that requires Mandarin to work in is China. You can use English in Singapore/HK and maybe Taiwan.

That being said, Japanese kanji is the same as Traditional Chinese characters but may not have the same meaning, so go for that if you want to. The only country that uses Simplified Chinese is China, HK and Taiwan use Trad.

Only volume 1.

How's it coming along fam?

They're not the same.

I'm 560 young and 350 mature cards in 2k/6k deck. My question is, does 2k/6k gives you the most essential vocabulary first or it mixes it with the non essential yet important rest of 6k? Should I start 2K? I'm asking because I'm looking shit that supposedly is "advances", so I wonder how essential that might be, but I'm more or less a lot into it, so I don't want to leave it just yet.
Also, I have an idea, I realized Japanese numbers works more or less like Roman numbers, so making a chart with japanese numbers should come in handy, like knowing 10 and then 20 and then 50, then 100 and then 100. So far this is what I can come up with.
「一」1
「二」2
「三」3
「四」4
「五」5
「六」6
「七」7
「八」8
「九」9
「十」10
「百」100
「千」1.000
「万」10.000
「億」100.000.000
It would be nice to add some counter kanji there too, but that would be a pain for how many there are, although you could add the most common ones like the counter for days. I'd add the pronunciation, but their pronunciation tend to vary, not to mention that keeping it simple is better.

I don't think it's in any particular order. Don't worry about it any way.

I looked it up, didn't realize the Japanese also modernized some of the Traditional Chinese characters so I stand corrected.

Not only that, but there are characters invented in Japan, differences in stroke order, etc. Best to think of them as two separate writing systems to avoid confusion.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differences_between_Shinjitai_and_Simplified_characters
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanji#Kokuji

何しょん、アノン?
はよレップしね!
今ホンマにさびんじゃけ、家で勉強するべきじゃろうな?

What are the recommended settings when using the Core 2k/6k deck? I'm not entirely sure what I should be trying to do with it. Is it for listening comprehension or is it so that I can remember the sentences? I know this looks like a stupid question but I'm mainly concerned with how long I should space each card and how many new cards I should learn each day since I imagine this is a harder task than remembering individual kana/kanji characters and I don't want to be overwhelmed.

Don't bother with the sentence cards, just suspend them. Use it to remember vocab.

Set your new cards to a low level at first, like 5. In like a month or so if you feel like you can handle more, then raise it.

Wait, what? Is that the consensus? Have I been doing this at a fraction of potential efficiency?

I just don't see the point of learning specific sentences rather than practicing through reading.

How do I go about suspending them? They're on the same cards as far as I can tell, rather than having related ones.

Are you talking about example sentences on vocab cards? Those are just to give you context.

I think I am. Alright, I'll give your advice a whirl.

There is a method to storke order, its not exactly unique to each character. Just learn the stroke order of the radicals and you are pretty much set. Past that it really doesn't matter what order you write the radicals in, but usually it's just from top to bottom from left to right i that order.

Better start working on those reps

Well, even if you learn how to speak it's not like people would come near you when you don't shower; let alone you have a panic attack because the only person you interact with is your mom when she brings your disgusting fat as food that she slides under the basement door.

Do you read your posts before you make them? Please at least try.

Crap, how'd you figure all that out?

Are the JapanesePod101 videos worth it on their own, or should I look for a download for their other material?

My mom said to stop being so mean

I'veb been dating between Japanese and Russian for a week now and can't decide which I'd enjoy more (or would be more useful if that point is even one worth discussing). It'd be cool to read VNs and watch animuu without subs but at the same time, I'll always be a dirty gaijin to those japs. I also find the moon runes to be daunting to learn. That aside, I enjoy Russian history and actually see knowing the language to be useful from a business perspective. I don't see Japanese being as useful since they're a pretty closed off culture. Any anons have advice for what to learn (leaning towards Russian for now)?

It will likely take longer to learn Japanese than Russian, I'm sure this isn't true for some people however. It's also worth considering that if you're interested in Russian from a historian and business perspective, you're going to need a much stronger grasp of the language than playing video games in Japanese. If you think it'll make you more money than Japanese, go with Russian.

How is Russian useful from a business perspective? And assuming you're not secretly Russian yourself, wouldn't you be an outsider to them too?

There are many foreigners living and working in Japan and doing just fine. 4chan and Holla Forums are hotbeds of anti-Japanese propaganda and ignorance and you should be really skeptical of anything you hear.

yeah, you obviously won't even be considered a real Japanese or Russian, but it's not like the Japs won't work with you if there's a purpose in doing business.

Thank you anons for the input. I enjoy the culture of Russia more and I could actually see myself living there at some point versus Japan which I have pretty much zero desire to ever visit for that matter. I also am more comfortable with learning a language with a small alphabet versus one packed sky high with moonrunes. Full respect to any anons who are working towards/have mastered jaoanese. I think I'm going to go ahead and start with Russian though.

EE grad here. Does your program involve a senior design or some final project?

EE grad here. Does your program involve a senior design or some final project?

Good choice, if you don't really want to learn Japanese more likely than not you'll waste a bunch of time learning a little bit and then give up.

Except for expressions where you need to know the cultural translation instead of the literal one, there is no reason to learn entire sentences.

Russian and Japanese are different enough that you can safely do both; it will just take longer.

I forgot how good the expressions were in this game.

Is that using Phantasy Star Online's technology? It looks an improved version of it.

Maybe, they are both Sega.

That's a fucking stupid advice. You are trying to drill vocab into your brain without any context. Good luck with synonyms or anything that looks even vaguely similar.

Are you saying that about disabling examples on cards or disabling cards that teach entire sentences?
If so then A) that isn't how adults learn and B) I learned Spanish that way never had any problems with synonyms or near homophones, and I haven't with Japanese so far either, and I think it's because the relationship in your mind between the word and its meaning is very direct and doesn't concern itself with other parts of you vocabulary so much.

I am talking about disabling cards with entire sentences. Look at it from this point - if you disable sentence cards you would only see each word once, this way you see it twice, which will help retention in the long run. Plus, if you though having only one card is enough then it shouldn't be an issue at all to just breeze through that second sentence card, losing you no time at all. Just put your new card count to double what you would've put it without sentence cards and it's a win-win scenario.

Context is important when a word has nuanced usage, which is why reading or listening to examples that are authored by native speakers is so important. Drilling vocabulary is fine, but the major goal is to move from recognizing a word in isolation to being able to "sense" how a word is being used in practice. The example sentences in the core deck try to offer some nuance like this, and I suppose it is helpful, but you're going to have to develop your comprehension with the language in order to truly understand how words can be used.

You've got the right idea, this process is exactly how things work in English and other languages, and you can probably already think of examples of words or phrases that are built on some nuanced understanding of multiple concepts (i.e. everything from idiomatic speech like "it's raining cats and dogs!" to the difference between homophones like "(swimming) pool" and "pool (billiards)" create distinctions between how words are used, and those distinctions draw from your ability to understand the underlying concepts that allow them to function).

Can someone help me out with these? Specifically the ゆだんもすきも part, the てんばつ (why is that there?) and the あっち at the end.

If its only to reinforce the vocabulary itself then that's harmless at best so go ahead and do it if you think it will help you. I guess I'm just weary because I've seen people advocating to learn grammar using sentence flash cards which is objectively a terrible idea.

I would argue that those nuances are better taught explicitly with explanatory notes on the same card and learning it through lots of your own application, and if the only thing the cards are giving you in the way of this is an example or two then that in and of itself is a problem.

That is exactly what Anki is for, in the end it's just a supplement. If you want more context then you have to read.

jisho.org/search/油断も隙もない
She threw at pillow at him and is saying he deserved it.
Means go away

>jisho.org/search/油断も隙もない

Huh, I must've had a typo when looking that up in Jisho, thanks!

Ah, that makes sense… I read it as "that's punishment for peeping" but kept thinking "what punishment?", must've been something in the scene before the text box?

Gathered as much, was just curious what the あっち part was standing for.

Yeah, there's no way I can post full scenes with a 5 image limit.

It's a common word that means "over there" or "that way"

I'm gonna to slap myself a bit. Talk about not seeing the trees from the forest. I kept looking for something more complex.

Yeah, I've gotta do a senior project. I don't know how to go about that, but I still have time, luckily.

バンプ~

those really are some top tier faces

kek

How to learn after a certain level?

How to use Anki effectively? I fucking hate SRS but wouldn't completely ditch the idea as long as someone can motivate me to use it. How much information is optimal for a flashcard? If I only put in a word, I feel like the answer has not enough context. If I put in lots of context it's starts to feel like tons of cards full of text.

If… I try to mine vocabulary from a game I tend to do it so intensively I lose my interest in the fucking game. It's easier to just understand 70% of the game and barely learn anything else…

ほんとクヤシイな

クヤシイ!

頑張るしょうがねー

Read.

If you hate making your own Anki cards then just download a deck.

I'm at the same level and I find that slowly chipping away at the remaining 30% is the best move. Instead of stopping, looking up, and adding to Anki every single word or phrase you don't know, pick one and look it up, then keep it in mind and keep looking for it as you play. Once you get it, move on to another one. That way you minimize the frustration of looking shit up while still working on fast and fluid understanding of the Japanese you already know.

I came to shill a game I think is fantastic,specially compared to the games like it to "learn japanese. It's pretty interactive and all, intuitive and the voice of the girl os adorable.
>It has multiple options as answers just 2, though
>A lot of categories I think you can roughly learn 500 kanji with this
>Visual aid for retards
Give it a try. THE BIGGEST PROBLE Is that some of the content is behind a paywall, but if you use something like lucky patcher, it shouldn't be a problem. Just don't be a good goy and don't buy it. In fact, I might share the unlocked .apk. Give me a minute.

Shit, forgot pics.

Please share the apk user, I used it a few months ago but dropped it due to the paywall.

Here it is. Sorry for being late.
drive.google.com/file/d/184IRuAzKMU3O8ZLCzYA6GeRnmBzfNa9k/view?usp=drivesdk
It's what I had at hand at the time. The .apk is modified for InApp store emulation. I don't know if the store emulation works without Lucky Patcher, so I recommend you to use it too. If you can't find it I can also upload the .apk for that too. Once you get the .apk for the game try "buying" full access. It worked like a charm for me, pic related.

That actually sounds fairly natural way to learn. I'll try it, thanks.

I know that in indirect quotation, the quoted clause isn't inflected for formality regardless of if the original was, but I assume that the same isn't true for direct quotation; am I right?
Also, I don't understand why you use ~と with 思う.

I think: "thought"

I found a way easier / lazier way of doing it is to grab a dictionary on your phone that links with anki and then whenever you look up a word use the feature to automatically send it to anki. It's the absolute tits and significantly speeds up your ability to play a game.

But in at least one example sentence. More if the word has multiple meanings/ usages.

Pretty sure the speech in the second bubble actually says: "eh? Is teacher saying she's opposed to gay sex?" rather than this word that lost all meaning

Homophobia is apparently 同性愛嫌悪, though it's accurate enough considering the common English usage.

嫌悪 literally mean disgust or hate whereas 反対派 rather means "opposing faction", which sounds far less strong.

Then again, I guess my problem lies more in how the "-phobe" words are thrown around with no understanding of the root meaning.

I've been looking for that exactly, but what dictionary is it?

Unfortunately although fan translations (usually) lack the censorship and/or localization practices you may encounter in some official translations, that doesn't mean you can trust the translation itself to actually be any good. I'd guess bad translation is probably a more common problem with less popular genres like yuri too but I could be wrong. Something minor like that is nothing compared to some stuff you can find, plus homophobe both seems to fit the bubble a bit better than opposed to homosexuality or whatever and rolls off the tongue a little better anyway.

In the end, a translation is always just someone else's interpretation of what the original text says. That's why the best option is to just learn Japanese.

No, but the reverse is true. It is imperative that to keep the original quote in direct quotation, while it is not in indirect quotation.

It's more like 'against homosexuality'. To be safe though, I'd prefer going literal here since there's no indication that the teacher hates homosexuality (and how the displayed bubbles hint that she herself is a dyke), there's little reason to believe that she is a homophobe. You may refute this if the previous pages do indicate this, so post them.

But why we are playing into Leftists' games? They are the one who keep confusing 'hatred' with 'fear' and projecting that to us on the Right which is why we are stuck with words ending with '-phobe' despite them not being really accurate words to describe our disposition towards things that the Left keep promoting.

That's highly likely to be true though, as a small number of people with even lower number of accessible translator would be more likely to consume all kinds of crappy translations since they don't have much choice, or any at all, and you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you.

Best option to achieve self-satisfaction and accuracy in some cases I'd say, not the best overall choice. Why would I spend 8 years studying a language if I just want to read raw manga chinese comic books?

thanks for answering my question user, but that's already what my guess was, what are you correcting?

I've made a mistake, sorry. It should be
Notice that I removed the word 'that' since it might be confusing.

In case that you still do not understand what I tried to say:

What you said is
>in indirect quotation, the quoted clause isn't inflected for formality regardless of if the original was
This means that one shouldn't inflect the clause in indirect quotation for one reason. I refuted this statement with
Which means that it is not imperative to inflect quote in indirect quotation; it is up to you to inflect it or not.

The other way works too
>, but I assume that the same isn't true for direct quotation; am I right?
This could mean one should inflect in direct quotation or one can freely choose between inflecting or not. I refuted this statement with
Which means one shouldn't inflect the clause in direct quotation

Sage for spoonfeeding.

Also, check these dubs

There's a bunch on the various app stores. Personally I use Jsho.

Is 年月 pronounced 「としつき」 or 「ねんげつ」?

Either. Some words can be pronounced multiple ways.

this is very sexy.

Does writing kanji by hand serve any real practical purpose for someone who will mostly just play video games, and maybe in the far future will speak to Japanese businessmen?

It's practice to help recognize and remember them.

If I don't have any particular trouble just learning kanji through flashcards, is it still worth doing?

writing things down in general is good for memory.

what do y'all know about the social context of using vs. omitting だ? I've read somewhere that men tend more often to not omit it except, except before か, but I don't see anywhere else corroborating that, and I'd also like to know if it has any social status connotations.

って functions as a topic marker in that sentence.

派 refers not only to such groups, but also to any individual member of such a group. For example, 過激派 means "radical faction" OR "extremist". 護憲派 means "faction for the defense of the constitution" or "constitutionalist".

Looks like Duolingo opened a Japanese course.

I used their mobile version for about two months. Without going into it, it's shit because it explains nothing, and expects you to learn nearly everything from inference after hearing some sentences, including grammar. I learned a few kanji from it, and almost nothing else. An equivalent amount of time grinding Anki and reading Tae Kim every now and then will put you much, much farther ahead than anything they could accomplish.

Every fucking thread

It's not worth doing if you don't personally like it, but it's good practice if you find it interesting/fascinating. You'll be fine with just flashcards and reading practice though.

How do you learn kanji if not by writing them down?

Duolingo is uses a contrascientific new-aged hippie didactic philosophy, and is designed feel as effortless as possible, even at the expense of actually learning anything.
also yes: literally every thread I have to say this same shit.

It's probably worth a note in the OP pasta at this point, although that doesn't mean people won't still post about it anyway.

Gimme a sentence and I'll add it.

You learn radicals instead as well as just out right memorising through reading. Basically the kanji damage method.

I mean how do you study flashcards without writing them down and then checking your answer.

"Don't come to tell us about Duolingo, we know that it exists and it is generally frowned upon for using a contrascientific new-aged hippie didactic philosophy, and is designed feel as effortless as possible, even at the expense of actually learning anything."

Mnemonic devices. Like said, KanjiDamage uses flashcards that use mnemonic devices to teach the radicals, which are then used in mnemonic devices to teach the kanji. I personally found mnemonic devices to be far more effective for learning hiragana /katakana than just writing them, which is why I chose this method for kanji, and it seems to be paying off. I'm now six months in. This also makes work in the Core2k deck easier over time, because you can use the radicals you've learned there, too.

Why would you need to write your answer down?
Just be honest with yourself. It won't work if you don't.

I use mnemonics too. One side has the meaning, I write down the kanji, then I check to see if I got it right. Do you just write it in your head or something?

I've used LingoDeer quite a bit and it's very similar to Duolingo in its format, but it's much better overall. Every lesson has a "Learning Tips" portion that explicitly explains the grammar being taught in the lesson. The spoken Japanese in LingoDeer sounds much more natural and smooth than Duolingo's, but unfortunately there's only one speaker for the listening parts, a young female. LingoDeer is pretty light on vocabulary, though, and the focus definitely seems to be on teaching the grammar through exercises. You definitely can't use LingoDeer as a primary resource, but I think it can provide some value to a student of Japanese as a supplementary resource for getting some light grammar exercises with immediate feedback in. So if you really think you'd like to use something like Duolingo and if you understand something like Duolingo isn't suitable as a primary resource, then I'd suggest using LingoDeer instead. It's only on mobile devices, though, unlike Duolingo, so that is one advantage Duolingo has over LingoDeer.

I'm inclined to believe this, but Duolingo does have studies listed here duolingo.com/research that seem to suggest that their "products" are effective. I haven't gone through and read any of these studies, but I'm pretty sure they weren't measuring the success of people using Duolingo to study Japanese, obviously, so the point that Duolingo is bad for learning Japanese specifically probably still stands, but maybe for reasons of execution rather than some problem inherent in the format or method of Duolingo.

In a manner of speaking. I have to remember the construction of a kanji out of the placement of its radicals, and whether or not those radicals are shaped differently than normal in a given kanji. For the purposes of being able to hand write kanji, I'm sure that this is a much worse system than actually writing them.

Then you can at least understand why I write them down. I study stroke order too, not just the radical composition.

>Duolingo does have studies listed here duolingo.com/research that seem to suggest that their "products" are effective
Pretty sure Rosetta Stone claims the same thing.

I can't really comment on that. I don't know enough about Rosetta Stone to say if Rosetta Stone is effective or ineffective and if it surpasses or falls short of other methods of language learning. I doubt Rosetta Stone is good enough to spend hundreds of dollars on when there are free alternatives, though. In any case, I think as Duolingo's Japanese course is right now, it's not a very good program because of how it's executed, if nothing else. As I said above, I wouldn't recommend using something like Duolingo as a primary resource, in any case.

Just read through those papers on their site. Half of them are evaluating Duolingo's English proficiency test (for non native speakers), most of the rest are analyzing it's spaced repetition algorithm (which apparently is good, but it's only for vocabulary and vocabulary isn't the reason to use Duolingo), one of the remaining ones is about quantifying language acquisition (irrespective of how you're learning it), and the only one that actually analyzes Duolingo's effectiveness has no control and doesn't compare it to any other method of learning a language.

Btw, here's a study demonstrating the effectiveness of explicit grammar instruct versus an implicit instruction that is fairly similar you Duolingo's, which sites other papers with similar results.

The issue with most of these language learning programs that have a bunch of different language courses is that Japan has such a unique writing structure. It has to teach you 2 new alphabets plus hundreds of kanji. However they have to build software that can easily teach a bunch of different languages. If your drill all the kanji into your brain these programs will probably work pretty well. The one thing I've heard that Rosetta Stone does uniquely is that it actually has one on one courses with a live instructor. Which could be extremely helpful for people who want to go to japan and actually speak to people.

Don't fool yourself user, they're equally bad for any language.

I'm just speaking from trying to use them to learn japanese. It was great at first but eventually it just starts throwing sentences in there with kanji and kana I never saw. Which just halted my learning.

If there's such a thing as "kana you never saw" you shouldn't have been trying to learn anything other than all the kana - you wouldn't try to learn english unless you were familiar and comfortable reading every letter of the alphabet.

I'm sure it's true that they are especially bad for Japanese, as opposed to a babby tier language that is 90% the same as English grammatically.

I know I'm explaining my issue with them and why I stopped using them why are you trying to argue with me?

There are plenty of people who read these threads but don't post, if someone sees that and gets some use from it, good. I wasn't arguing with you anyway.

Noted, thanks for the overview. I only got to the Vesselinov and Grego study before I had to go do something else.

I should look into it more, but based on on what I've read, including the study you just shared, and my personal experience, explicit grammar instruction seems more effective than implicit grammar instruction so I think we're all in agreement about that.

Shilling some バーチャル ユーチューバーs for listening practice
youtube.com/channel/UC4YaOt1yT-ZeyB0OmxHgolA
youtube.com/channel/UCbFwe3COkDrbNsbMyGNCsDg
youtube.com/channel/UCMYtONm441rBogWK_xPH9HA
youtube.com/channel/UCQYADFw7xEJ9oZSM5ZbqyBw

How did Luna get so popular with so few videos

I dunno, but her voice is cute in a weird way.

Here, have a dumb mnemonic.
Word = 輸入 「ゆにゅう」, an import, to import something.
"Why'd you decide to import the Japanese version? Was it because you knew that the localization would be shit?"

Luna has big money behind her that allows her videos to get more exposure, as well as being translated into english pre-upload.

It also helps that her persona is pretty unique as far as these things go.

get this fucking cancer out of here.

Sauce? It doesn't really translate into her videos, since the mocap quality and framerate is pretty low.

Sauce is my ass. I'm just assuming that, since that's the only reason I can think of that she has so many views and instant translations.

Maybe people do it for free like Mark

For fun, maybe, but having that many subscribers means it's a viable full time job.

Is he being visited by mormons?

They're just bringing him the good news. :^)

That was a great series.

I won't beat around the bush. This is a dick related emergency.

I'm doing some translations and encountered this here character, but no matter how much I look for it the fucking thing is elusive as fuck, anyone knows what the fuck it is?

It's that kanji looking ass

Is this bait?

言?

I couldn't get it to come up on Jisho either. When I first wrote it to tell him, it came up in a font that didn't have the dot at that top, which made me second-guess myself. How often will differences in fonts significantly impact the look of a character?

It's just a different, but extremely common font. You'd have to be incredibly new not to know the difference, especially for that particular kanji.

This is why you you also learn handwriting. That's the handwritten version of that character. jisho.org/search/言 #kanji

令 is another character off the top of my head that is significantly different in the handwritten version.

Well yes, this is the Nipponese Learning Thread, not the Nipponese Knowing Thread, after all.

I see, thank you. I'll look into it.

ニッガーは何と言うよ!?

I got a question. I notice that sometimes people will use a "B" or even a "D" sound for some terms,names, etc. Even though these sounds aren't in Kana. Also they're not saying something in English, nor writing it out in Romanji.
So are these word I'm hearing "starting" with a chinese character? Or is there some else?

I don't really get what you're trying to say. Example?

en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Memorizing_the_Hiragana/Dakuten

looks like whatever method you used for learning kana wasn't very good

The link isn't a perfect explanation but it gets the point across

user, why are you translating comics if you don't know the word for "say" / don't know what it looks like when it's hand written? I mean, if you say that you're "translating" something, can you really be surprised when people are shocked that you don't know something that beginner-level? I mean, surely if you're translating an entire manga you should have seen the radical 言 in other places like 語 or 読 enough to have seen it both in a hand written style? I mean ffs this board uses the hand written style.

user if you googled "b sound in Japanese" the first link would have answered this question for you without making you look like an asshat.

I learned English by watching porn and reading 4chan. Figured I could do the same for Japanese

Gotta say, ain't working as intended so far. Hira and kata are easy to get but when it comes to kanji it all goes to shit.
I can recognize radicals, strokes and all that shit but whenever I go look for the entire thing in my dictionary it just isn't there.

This thread is for questions.

Try the book Remembering the Kanji.

Doesn't mean you have to or should encourage spoon feeding

I hope you're all practicing reading on top of doing your reps. You might know a lot of words but it's important to use that knowledge.

お読むはよく難しいですね
俺は易しいマンガをお読むができない
とても悲しかった

Of course. Just got back from a session of Japanese Valkyria Chronicles.

I read all my porn in Japanese, and I don't even play Japanese games in English anymore or watch anime with subs.

What does the man on the horse say?

軍機をかつぐやつがあるか
I'm probably wrong but I think he's asking, "are you harboring any military secrets?"

guidetojapanese.org/casual.html#part8
I think it's supposed to be かつぐやっがるか. I'm not really sure exactly what it's supposed to imply since I have no context. Maybe the man on the horse is reprimanding him for not carrying the flag high enough?

you'll get there - reading sucks at first but you get good over time, and it's much more satisfying to learn than just grinding at vocab and grammar.

I'm in the process of phasing out all the translated games, I still play ones that have more adult-type language in them (MGS, SMT, etc.) but for lighter games that won't have too many words I won't know/have trouble looking up I'll play in japanese.

upon a second look, やつがあるか makes more sense than やっがあるか. I don't think holding a sound usually gets written out, and I'm also not sure I've ever seen か used with やがる. That said I'm still not clear on what the comic is supposed to be saying.

"Hey! Are there any guys holding a flag?" is my closets guess without any context.

New to learning Japanese, just wondering before I fuck myself, will the Kanji Damage method help or hinder me in the long run? Is it actually useful to keep in mind or will it ruin my learning down the road?

KD is just for learning radicals. You don't need to learn radicals. If you want to learn radicals, then yes, KD is just fine, although there are alternatives, like Kodansha.

Yes, it is beneficial to learn radicals, but not by themselves. Learn vocabulary WITH KANJI and then look up the radicals for any Kanji that you have difficulty recognizing. This will help you to learn the nuances between similar looking Kanji.

Though it could also mean something like "So there are really guys who hold a flag", referring to the guy he is addressing. It depends on the relationship between those two characters.

Never used it, but separate kanji study is useful imo.

I think this is it. It explains the guy holding the flags facial expression as well.

Well, I finally got my shit together and read the second volume of yotsuba. Any ideas on moving forward? I know there are 10 more volumes available, but I'm not sure if I want to put up with yotsuba's horrible slang or what (plus you can't even search the words in a dictionary if you don't already know it.)

Shit, 12 new posts while I was writing this post. Your special kind of retard user reports on duty

Are you enjoying it? That's the most important thing when reading.

Thanks! i don't know the context either i found it on /weebpol/

It's not that bad, but it's not fantastic either. The first two volumes have reading packs that shows you how to decode that annoying casual variants of the word, but if I were to figure them out on my own, I don't know what I would do. In the end I might find out that I like anki grinding more that actually trying to use that knowledge for anything useful.

こらっ軍旗(not機)をかつぐやつがあるか。
He's scolding him for shouldering the flag rather than holding up it properly.
Both the こらっ (a phrase mostly used when scolding, etc.) and the あるか (rhetorical) indicate this. So meaning-wise it's more like a "hey, what are you doing shouldering the flag."

You're going to have to get used to casual speech as you'll be encountering it plenty. It shouldn't take too long to get used to. Try something else if you want to, I wouldn't go for a difficult topic yet.

Thanks, I understand now.

Ah, I didn't consider that.

I felt this way when I started. There are other manga/VNs if you're OK with those that are still extremely simple in use but don't have nearly as much slang. Try something else if the slang is getting to you, but like another user said, you'll have to get used to it at some point. Once you do some more reading and are more aware of the patterns in speech and conjugation the slang will seem easy and most of it makes sense.

It's a rhetorical question, like "Hey, what kind of a guy carries a flag on his shoulder?"

Yeah, I hope I'll get used to it, but currently my vocab is shit and my vocab grinding speed is slow as hell, and the slang is like if you don't know the word, you have no chance finding it in a dictionary.

Or do you know any dictionary that contain slang variations of the words too?

You're going to have to deal with not knowing a lot of words at first, whether they are slang or not. So you could try something else that you find more interesting, the same problems will likely be there though.

Im taking an intro to Japanese at my university next fall. I got halfway thru duolingo japanese so far but I hit a bit of a wall so Im focusing on memorizing the hiragana and katakana at the moment. I'm using anki and basically writing all the cards down until I can draw/recite them by memory

I plan on visiting for the olympics in 2020. I also want to do jet down the road but im paranoid about it. I hope Im able to get into it. I mean, I should have passed the JLPT 5, maybe even 4 by then.

Yeah I don't even think Im going to finish it, what said, "LingoDeer" is much better although I havent gotten very far yet.

The problem with slang is that it's really inconsistent. You really just have to find something to read that doesn't use too much, and once you're familiar with how words are used regularly, you'll be able to figure out what words you're seeing when you see some slang.

anki lets you do this already though? there are a ton of different types of templates

anki absolutely shits on quizlet. I used quizlet sophomore year of highschool for ap bio. its really only a tool for kids. anki is for adults.

Im a freshman in college with an accounting major so obviously nothing close to as hard as EE, but I literally dropped out of high school 2 years back so I have no idea if I can pass Calc (I placed into Calc) this semester and still have time for Japanese. Probably. I only dropped out of highschool because of gross time mismanagement and delusions about pro sports. Still nervous tho cuz I start in less than a week.

pics unrelated and sage cuz I posted recently in this thread

Don't worry about that. The thread could always use a bump.

And that's all I need to know for sure that duolingo isn't actually aimed at teaching the language if they're going to try and sell people on "5 minutes a day of study time"

Ahahahahahahahaha

And I consider myself lucky when I finish my anki grinding in 50 minutes…

Anyway, I downloaded this "How to Tell the Difference between Japanese Particles" book from djt and decided to give it a go since I can't remember the 580 meanings of each 5 particle in the language. On the second quiz I scored 5/10. Ouch. (Yes, I read the description it.) Am I hopeless?

I've been studying since 2016, and even with the progress I've made I know I'm still shit at the language. I have basic grasp, but still forget certain things at times, but I think the key is understanding this shit is going to take a long time, and to remember you are making progress. Just keep pushing yourself user and keep up your daily reps and intake as much media as you can.

At least that's what I tell myself, no bully please

user, I have faith in you. The hardest thing is to make sure you study the important things every day. Last semester was rough for me, but I passed by the skin on my teeth only because I had planned out just enough. If you work, make sure they know that school takes precedence – I made that mistake. Don't work fifty hours on top of school, it doesn't work at all. Calculus is challenging, but if you attend class and take reasonable notes, read the book, and actually do the problems, you should be fine. Luckily, there are a plethora of resources at your disposal. Khan Academy is great for various refreshers/ extra lecturing on calculus, and chances are good that the book you have assigned will have answers online, if not, you can simply google your question, and you'll get either the exact problem, or a very similar one with how the steps go.

For Japanese, if you find yourself overwhelmed, slow it down, but do not stop it. For my Anki deck, I dropped my new card count to zero, because I didn't have the time to add many new cards every day, but I still studied daily. If it's important enough for you, you will make time for it. I believe I've said this before somewhere, but the first thing I did when I woke up in the morning was my Anki deck. If it's out of the way as soon as possible, you won't worry about not having it done by the time you go to bed. This is a strange suggestion, but do go to bed early, you'll get more shit done, get better sleep, and you can even enjoy the morning.

Shit's tough, man. Good luck!

Holy shoot, I was just looking through 2ch to get my practice on fam, and found a full 'let's talk only in english thread'
why don't we ever have any of those threads- or have I just never noticed them? Let's get our LARP on fams

lavender.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/english/1514765226/
for their thread

you'll learn the particles better from practicing reading, though of course you still need basic guide to explain them all.

Disclaimer: I am not discouraging anybody from doing their daily anki.

Has anyone else dropped anki pretty much entirely after a while? I've been studying on my own for the last 2.5 years or so, and a few months back I fell really far behind on anki and basically stopped doing it altogether. I still do reading online and play games in Japanese, and I still feel like I'm learning new stuff/not forgetting old stuff. I keep a notebook that I write down new words/kanji in when I encounter them, though I rarely review it. I had already completed the core 2k/6k deck and had started on the 10k supplement when I stopped. I also had my own mined deck. Anyway, I guess I'm blogposting a bit, but I was curious if any anons were/are in a similar position and if you think I should start doing anki again.

I feel that the point of anki is to introduce yourself to new words for the purpose of learning.
If you're still exposing yourself to newer shit even if it isn't on a premade list of
it's essentially the same thing with a different route.
You're still working on learning the language.

Nope. I still do Anki for review even though I also read every day. It only takes me like 40 mins a day so I don't see the point of stopping.

I'm in the same situation as you, I studied anki and grammar for quite a while, and I started to read and had a much more enjoyable time. I'll still do an anki deck for a few months every so often but I'm not always grinding at it daily. I don't feel that I've forgotten many words by not doing vocab every day, though perhaps I would have learned more words than I have now.

Tried searching, but found nothing.
Name?

I only focus on reading as much as possible and sometimes grind groups of kanji on paper when I really want to learn something in particular, but that's about it.
Anki is good for tests when you need to memorize very specific kanji, but is otherwise useless to the casual learner.

That said, games that have both written text and accompanying voice acting are the absolute best in my book.

I learned from duolingo that when you see a 中国 (ちゅうごく) and have to answer what ちゅう is, you press the 中 button and the program says "naka" but the correct answer it ちゅう.
It's not that good for learning (to no ones surprise).

The problem with that, when I'm reading, I just fill in particles from context, which works in simple and unambiguous cases, but fails horribly elsewhere.

iqdb.org/

But that's exactly what I did before asking.
Unless it gave you a different result somehow.

It gives you more links when there are no results. Try and figure it out.

Then stop slacking.

Im getting the hang of anki, Im retaining the kana faster than I thought I would. Shouldnt be too long before I can start working on the hard stuff. Should allow me to breeze thru my intro japanese course by the time I reach next semester.

also how do you like my hyper autistic itinerary?

the lengths im willing to go to get sideways pussy… smh. jk, I can get that domestically anyways. I just want to go for the chicken skewers… mmmm…

this whole post

boy I really hope I'm being meme'd right now

I tried this and it didn't really seem like it was teaching anything. Granted, I play games in Japanese at the moment so I can read a bit, but they don't even explain why something is wrong. It seems like the goal of this is to memorize phrases rather than teaching you how to form them yourself.
Also what said.

After literally knowing Kana for 11 years and catching words (and even some play-on-words jokes I really shouldn't have understood) when watching Anime while doing other things, I finally decided to bite the bullet and actually learn Japanese.

Wish me luck, faggots

Good luck fag

What IME should I use?

It's either Microsoft or Google IME. I use Google.

It gets better, right?

It takes a while before you can start reading easily, but once you do your progress speed up a lot.

My anki decks didnt sync… how the fuck… whatever, ill just start over. Was I supposed to upload my progress to ankiweb? I no longer have access to my old computer.

That's good to hear. How long was "a while" in your case?

Like 4 years, but I had a slump in that period where I stopped studying for a while.

No point in rushing through kanji cards alone. Take it slower with the kanji and start learning actual vocabulary at the same time, you dense motherfuckers.

Is there anything you would have done in retrospect to make it go faster?

Those 1383 cards I mentioned are comprised of both vocab and kanji at about a 55/45 split.

Start reading earlier. Even if you have to use a dictionary while you are reading, it's the fastest way to learn.

Oh boy, is this going to be as stupid as English?

It doesn't get better, that's for sure. Look at 特, 待, 持, and 時 as a quick example. All completely different kanji.

In terms of homophones and homonyms? I'm a native English speaker, so take it with a grain of salt, but from what I've seen so far, it's often even worse.

Oh shit, I just realized that these should be easy to remember. The radical on the left is related to the nature of what the character is about.
I realize that 牛 is its own character, but it works for this purpose to pretend that it's not.

That's a pretty neat way to memorize those.

Reading is a skill, the same as memorizing vocab.After a few months of slugging through anki, the ease with which you were able to remember new words increased, right? Same with reading, but you also need to keep working on your vocab and grammar all the while.

I feel like I can kill myself, right now.

All I can really tell you is that Japanese has a massive beginners wall, and once you've reached a certain point studying becomes quite fun, and the language actually makes quite a lot more sense than English once you have mastered the basics. Nobody has an easy time with the grind at the start though.

Well, I should be past that wall since a long time, but in reality, I'm not completely sure.
Heck, as I learn more words, maybe remembering them becomes a tiny little bit easier, but on the other hand the more words I know, the more words I can mix up and forget. And it doesn't look like it'll become better in the near future.

For me to learn vocab well I personally have to see it used in reading, and not just an example sentence. When I can really understand how the word is used from reading it in a sentence, it's easy for me to not get them mixed up.

I decided to bite the bullet and learn gook, Im just learning the kana now but I need some motivation for the real grind thats coming when I start using anki and all that stuff

So Im going to make a chart with as many untranslated japanese games as possible to look at times of weakness, what are your suggestions anons? post covers or screenshots so I can add them
I already have the two playstation 2 grey charts, but I want to list things from every system

vndb.org/v/all
okay, not everything is untranslated, only something like 90-95%

Why do you need untranslated games? Even games that are translated aren't done justice in English.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the two? Is there no FOSS IME?

No idea

Is there such a thing as going too fast with the 2k?

I feel like I could probably do more than just 20 a day even though I'm only reliably getting around 95% of what I've already done.

Keep in mind that when the mature cards start coming in your workload will pretty much double. Start small.

Mature cards?

Cards that you answered correctly a certain number of times in a row. You won't see them again for like a month or two.

I use mozc on linux, which is more or less the open source version of google ime. There's also anthy, but mozc is better imho.

new thread